Los Angeles Prohibits Frisbee on Beaches

Seen something interesting in the news or on the intertubes? Discuss it here.

Moderators: Hawknc, Zamfir, Prelates, Moderators General

Re: Los Angeles Prohibits Frisbee on Beaches

Postby stevey_frac » Fri Feb 10, 2012 8:28 pm UTC

AngelfishTitan wrote:
stevey_frac wrote:Right. But.. A frisbee to the face is a long fucking way from lethal. This legislation is a total crock. Let the other people on the beach deal with it. Don't start using the legislative branch to enforce social mores.


At what level of harm, due to one's own negligence or intention, does it need to be to become illegal then?


When there is a statistically significant chance of irreparable harm to another individual. For instance, I'm all for legislating the use of snow tires in snowy areas, like the one I live in, because it provably reduces winter accident rates, and resulting injuries and fatalities. That's a proper use of the legislative branch.
stevey_frac
 
Posts: 947
Joined: Tue Oct 20, 2009 10:27 pm UTC

Re: Los Angeles Prohibits Frisbee on Beaches

Postby Gellert1984 » Fri Feb 10, 2012 8:31 pm UTC

AngelfishTitan wrote:At what level of harm, due to one's own negligence or intention, does it need to be to become illegal then?


At about the point that they start killing more people per frisbee on beaches than cars do per car on the road (if that makes sense).
The only time I question the right to Free Speech is when I watch Fox News, probably due to the fact that I don't think they really believe in it. -Elisa Scaldaferri
User avatar
Gellert1984
 
Posts: 588
Joined: Tue Mar 24, 2009 10:07 pm UTC
Location: South Wales UK

Re: Los Angeles Prohibits Frisbee on Beaches

Postby Dauric » Fri Feb 10, 2012 8:41 pm UTC

Gellert1984 wrote:
AngelfishTitan wrote:At what level of harm, due to one's own negligence or intention, does it need to be to become illegal then?


At about the point that they start killing more people per frisbee on beaches than cars do per car on the road (if that makes sense).


"The first rule of Frisbee Club is you don't talk about Frisbee Club...."
We're in the traffic-chopper over the XKCD boards where there's been a thread-derailment. Later, Garrus was eaten by a shark. It is believed that the Point has perished in the accident. Back to you Bob.
User avatar
Dauric
 
Posts: 3170
Joined: Wed Aug 05, 2009 6:58 pm UTC
Location: If I knew this with any accuracy I wouldn't know if I was going to get a speeding ticket.

Re: Los Angeles Prohibits Frisbee on Beaches

Postby stevey_frac » Fri Feb 10, 2012 8:52 pm UTC

Gellert1984 wrote:
AngelfishTitan wrote:At what level of harm, due to one's own negligence or intention, does it need to be to become illegal then?


At about the point that they start killing more people per frisbee on beaches than cars do per car on the road (if that makes sense).



Dude. Wtf...
stevey_frac
 
Posts: 947
Joined: Tue Oct 20, 2009 10:27 pm UTC

Re: Los Angeles Prohibits Frisbee on Beaches

Postby Webzter » Fri Feb 10, 2012 9:09 pm UTC

stevey_frac wrote:You see... I personally feel that it is not the job of the government to protect it's citizens from themselves. Let us make mistakes. Let us fall down.


stevey_frac wrote:I'm all for legislating the use of snow tires in snowy areas, like the one I live in, because it provably reduces winter accident rates, and resulting injuries and fatalities. That's a proper use of the legislative branch.
Webzter
 
Posts: 179
Joined: Tue Dec 04, 2007 4:16 pm UTC
Location: Michigan, USA

Re: Los Angeles Prohibits Frisbee on Beaches

Postby JBJ » Fri Feb 10, 2012 9:15 pm UTC

Webzter wrote:
stevey_frac wrote:You see... I personally feel that it is not the job of the government to protect it's citizens from themselves. Let us make mistakes. Let us fall down.


stevey_frac wrote:I'm all for legislating the use of snow tires in snowy areas, like the one I live in, because it provably reduces winter accident rates, and resulting injuries and fatalities (including other people). That's a proper use of the legislative branch.

Highlighted one, and clarified the other.

Allowing someone to harm themselves is different than allowing them to hurt others.
So, you sacked the cocky khaki Kicky Sack sock plucker?
The second cocky khaki Kicky Sack sock plucker I've sacked since the sixth sitting sheet slitter got sick.
User avatar
JBJ
 
Posts: 1265
Joined: Fri Dec 12, 2008 6:20 pm UTC
Location: a point or extent in space

Re: Los Angeles Prohibits Frisbee on Beaches

Postby Webzter » Fri Feb 10, 2012 9:53 pm UTC

JBJ wrote:Allowing someone to harm themselves is different than allowing them to hurt others.


Ahh, in that case it seems reasonable to segregate off the sunbathers from the game-players.
Webzter
 
Posts: 179
Joined: Tue Dec 04, 2007 4:16 pm UTC
Location: Michigan, USA

Re: Los Angeles Prohibits Frisbee on Beaches

Postby lucrezaborgia » Fri Feb 10, 2012 9:59 pm UTC

I'm confused as to what the argument is now about...the OP article was misinterpreted. Frisbies aren't banned and regulating behavior on public beaches isn't new by any stretch of the imagination. So what are you all still arguing about?
User avatar
lucrezaborgia
 
Posts: 366
Joined: Mon Jan 02, 2012 3:20 am UTC
Location: Green Bay, WI

Re: Los Angeles Prohibits Frisbee on Beaches

Postby stevey_frac » Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:02 pm UTC

Except Frisbee isn't a horribly dangerous sport that needs to be regulated on our beaches. There is no rising wave of Frisbee related injuries that we need legislation to address. This is not an evidence based solution to a difficult problem. This is the legislative branch doing something random. There is zero need for this legislation.

lucrezaborgia wrote:I'm confused as to what the argument is now about...the OP article was misinterpreted. Frisbies aren't banned and regulating behavior on public beaches isn't new by any stretch of the imagination. So what are you all still arguing about?


The article has been altered since it was first posted. And we can still argue about the original legislation. :D
stevey_frac
 
Posts: 947
Joined: Tue Oct 20, 2009 10:27 pm UTC

Re: Los Angeles Prohibits Frisbee on Beaches

Postby folkhero » Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:04 pm UTC

Tiberius wrote:You still haven't proven how selective enforcement uniquely leads to abuse. Cops can decide who they want to ticket for speeding based on the severity of the offense. That is a good thing. It has nothing to do with people i do or don't like. Their is this thing called spirit of the law and it determines how cops enforce the law.Furthermore this law didn't make frisbee illegal it just allowed lifeguards to determine who is and who isn't acting responsibly.

Or they decide who they want to ticket for speeding based on the color of their car, or worse, the color of their skin. It has everything to do with the people that the cop does or doesn't like, and it has nothing to do with the spirit of the law.
Griffin wrote:My only problem with this is that I'd much rather they ban the fuckers who lay all over the place getting in the way of people actually trying to USE the beach.
I know, right? you can lay around in the sun and get skin cancer anywhere. I have to drive the better part of a day to get to LA and the beach, and then I'm not even allowed to run around in the sand and play frisbee?
To all law enforcement entities, this is not an admission of guilt...
User avatar
folkhero
 
Posts: 1775
Joined: Fri Aug 01, 2008 3:34 am UTC

Re: Los Angeles Prohibits Frisbee on Beaches

Postby Ghostbear » Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:10 pm UTC

stevey_frac wrote:Except Frisbee isn't a horribly dangerous sport that needs to be regulated on our beaches. There is no rising wave of Frisbee related injuries that we need legislation to address. This is not an evidence based solution to a difficult problem. This is the legislative branch doing something random. There is zero need for this legislation.

Except, as I pointed out, we regulate far more than behavior that is dangerous already, and for good reason. Like my example of noise violations- many things that cause society to not function properly are banned or regulated. Danger is not, and should not be the only determinant we use.

In this case, the legislation as originally reported would have been to allow the maximum number of people to get the maximal amount of enjoyment out of a public property. How is that wrong? This is a case of weighing the rights of two groups against each other (frisbee players and everyone else), and they determined that everyone else had a greater right, while still allowing frisbee players to play frisbee as permitted by lifeguards- such that if they were unobtrusive, they would still be permitted to play.
Ghostbear
 
Posts: 1764
Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 10:06 pm UTC

Re: Los Angeles Prohibits Frisbee on Beaches

Postby omgryebread » Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:21 pm UTC

folkhero wrote: I know, right? you can lay around in the sun and get skin cancer anywhere. I have to drive the better part of a day to get to LA and the beach, and then I'm not even allowed to run around in the sand and play frisbee?
You can run around and play frisbee anywhere. I have to drive the better part of a week to get to LA (or a day to Ocean City) and then I can't even lay around in the sun and get skin cancer without assholes kicking sand over me?


You guys seriously think that anything not lethal should be legal? Like, rock band outside your house at 2AM? Can I host a full football game with 11 people on each side and using up 100 yards of the beach?

None of us are trying to say that frisbees are a serious hazard. We are trying to say they are incredibly annoying and intrusive to other beachgoers. (Well, unless they're nice about it and go somewhere where there aren't a lot of people. Which, fun enough, is what LA changed their law to. Pretty awesome, right?)
avatar from Nononono by Lynn Okamoto.
User avatar
omgryebread
 
Posts: 1371
Joined: Wed Dec 15, 2010 3:03 am UTC

Re: Los Angeles Prohibits Frisbee on Beaches

Postby Griffin » Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:34 pm UTC

You can run around and play frisbee anywhere. I have to drive the better part of a week to get to LA (or a day to Ocean City) and then I can't even lay around in the sun and get skin cancer without assholes kicking sand over me?


No? First part: You can only run around and play frisbee in areas large enough to do so, and playing on sand has distinct differences to playing elsewhere.

Laying on a towel in the sun? That can be done at even the smallest public parks or, heck, even in a driveway or on a roof or something. And if your problem is /getting sand on you/, maybe the beach isn't the place you should be doing it?

Look, none of us are trying to say sunbathers are a hazard - I mean, you can trip over them and stuff, but not really a big deal. All we're saying is the lazy fucks are incredibly annoying and intrusive, preventing people who actually want to use the beach for stuff that requires the beach from being able to do so. (Well, unless their nice about it and willing to clear a space when people actually want to use that section of the beach for something. But I've never seen that happen, ever - asking someone to move so you can play frisbee is a one way ticket to a pretentious asshole rant.)

Basically, this law is simple - people who lounge on the beach are more important than those who engage in various forms of physical activity on the beach. Probably because there is more of the first. There's no high-mindedness to this law - it's just one group of people getting their way over another in regards to a place with limited space resources, nothing more, nothing less.
Bdthemag: "I don't always GM, but when I do I prefer to put my player's in situations that include pain and torture. Stay creative my friends."

Bayobeasts - the Pokemon: Orthoclase project.
User avatar
Griffin
 
Posts: 1364
Joined: Sun Apr 08, 2007 7:46 am UTC

Re: Los Angeles Prohibits Frisbee on Beaches

Postby Dauric » Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:52 pm UTC

There's these fucking people, and goddamnit they're -everywhere- I tell you. And they're all -doing shit-, all kinds of shit just fucking everywhere man. What's worse is they're all fucking doing shit in public places and getting in the way of my friends and I who want to do our own shit....

L.A. is one of the most populous cities in the U.S. and the county at large is heavily populated. And that's just the permanent residents, add in the tourist trade and the numbers of people that want to do their own shit on any particular day on any particular stretch of coastline can be downright astronomical. The Parks and Recreation department for L.A. has to balance the desire for all those people to use that space. Now from what I understand of the article is that the lifeguard on duty has jurisdiction on whether large-scale games of sportsthing can be played on any particular stretch of beach, instead of the previously existing total ban. To enforce this the Lifeguard can call on a police officer to write citations for violating that rule, as opposed to trying to grant lifeguards law-enforcement powers to write the citations themselves.

As far as large-field sportsthing games or sunbathers consider the municipal view: A large area of sportsthing players is a low concentration of people per acre of area. Sunbathers put a lot more people in a smaller area. Now when the acre of sportsthing players and the acre of sunbathers go up the beach to the restaurants and souvenir shops and vendors of all types, which acre of beach will bring in more tax revenues? Beaches being a prime tourist spot a lot of those tax revenues are coming in from people that don't actually live in your municipality, so it's a tax boon without raising taxes.
We're in the traffic-chopper over the XKCD boards where there's been a thread-derailment. Later, Garrus was eaten by a shark. It is believed that the Point has perished in the accident. Back to you Bob.
User avatar
Dauric
 
Posts: 3170
Joined: Wed Aug 05, 2009 6:58 pm UTC
Location: If I knew this with any accuracy I wouldn't know if I was going to get a speeding ticket.

Re: Los Angeles Prohibits Frisbee on Beaches

Postby folkhero » Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:22 pm UTC

omgryebread wrote:None of us are trying to say that frisbees are a serious hazard. We are trying to say they are incredibly annoying and intrusive to other beachgoers. (Well, unless they're nice about it and go somewhere where there aren't a lot of people. Which, fun enough, is what LA changed their law to. Pretty awesome, right?)

Frisbee players do try to go where there aren't as many people because it isn't actually fun to try to run between people's blankets and worry about crashing into people. The problem is that sunbathers are incredibly annoying and intrusive to people who want to run around at the beach because they also tend to gravitate away from other sunbathers; everyone wants a little stretch of land for themselves and not have to get too close to any other sunbathers even though they only need the 15 square feet that their beach towel takes up.
Dauric wrote:As far as large-field sportsthing games or sunbathers consider the municipal view: A large area of sportsthing players is a low concentration of people per acre of area. Sunbathers put a lot more people in a smaller area. Now when the acre of sportsthing players and the acre of sunbathers go up the beach to the restaurants and souvenir shops and vendors of all types, which acre of beach will bring in more tax revenues? Beaches being a prime tourist spot a lot of those tax revenues are coming in from people that don't actually live in your municipality, so it's a tax boon without raising taxes.

I'm from the Jane Jacob's school of thought, that it's not just concentrations of people that is good for cities, but a diversity of people using a common space for mixed purposes. Look, I don't really have anything against sunbathers, that was just a device to show that sunbathers can be as annoying as frisbee throwers. When I'm at the beach, I like to sunbath and read, but I also like to throw around a frisbee or football and swim in the ocean if it's warm enough. I think the greatest value of the beach is that people can do all those things and more. It's fun to do all those things, and it's fun to watch other people do those things. If the city of LA wants to turn their beaches into monotonous, dull places to squeeze a few extra dollars out of them, I think they are making a mistake.
To all law enforcement entities, this is not an admission of guilt...
User avatar
folkhero
 
Posts: 1775
Joined: Fri Aug 01, 2008 3:34 am UTC

Re: Los Angeles Prohibits Frisbee on Beaches

Postby Tiberius » Sat Feb 11, 2012 12:08 am UTC

folkhero wrote:
Tiberius wrote:You still haven't proven how selective enforcement uniquely leads to abuse. Cops can decide who they want to ticket for speeding based on the severity of the offense. That is a good thing. It has nothing to do with people i do or don't like. Their is this thing called spirit of the law and it determines how cops enforce the law.Furthermore this law didn't make frisbee illegal it just allowed lifeguards to determine who is and who isn't acting responsibly.

Or they decide who they want to ticket for speeding based on the color of their car, or worse, the color of their skin. It has everything to do with the people that the cop does or doesn't like, and it has nothing to do with the spirit of the law.


Christ! Do people not understand the word UNIQUE. Any cop can use discrimination to selectively enforce any law and it's always illegal, in fact it's an affirmative defense. Allowing cops to use their discretion has empirically proven to be effective and doesn't UNIQUELY contribute to abuse.
Tiberius
 
Posts: 165
Joined: Wed Dec 29, 2010 10:42 pm UTC

Re: Los Angeles Prohibits Frisbee on Beaches

Postby lucrezaborgia » Sat Feb 11, 2012 12:50 am UTC

folkhero wrote:The problem is that sunbathers are incredibly annoying and intrusive to people who want to run around at the beach because they also tend to gravitate away from other sunbathers; everyone wants a little stretch of land for themselves and not have to get too close to any other sunbathers even though they only need the 15 square feet that their beach towel takes up.


So...everyone but the Frisbie players are selfish?
User avatar
lucrezaborgia
 
Posts: 366
Joined: Mon Jan 02, 2012 3:20 am UTC
Location: Green Bay, WI

Re: Los Angeles Prohibits Frisbee on Beaches

Postby lutzj » Sat Feb 11, 2012 12:57 am UTC

jareds wrote:I don't think it's the OP's fault: the content of the article changed dramatically. When I read it yesterday, it was consistent with the OP.


Pretty sure they updated the article (or the link). I'll edit the post so nobody else gets confused.
addams wrote:I'm not a bot.
That is what a bot would type.
User avatar
lutzj
 
Posts: 898
Joined: Fri Feb 05, 2010 6:20 am UTC
Location: Ontario

Re: Los Angeles Prohibits Frisbee on Beaches

Postby stevey_frac » Sat Feb 11, 2012 3:27 am UTC

lucrezaborgia wrote:
folkhero wrote:The problem is that sunbathers are incredibly annoying and intrusive to people who want to run around at the beach because they also tend to gravitate away from other sunbathers; everyone wants a little stretch of land for themselves and not have to get too close to any other sunbathers even though they only need the 15 square feet that their beach towel takes up.


So...everyone but the Frisbie players are selfish?


I think it's more, everyone INCLUDING the Frisbee players are selfish, but that the law favours one side over the other. There is no requirement that a person not start sun bathing in the middle of an active game of Frisbee, but there is a requirement not to start playing Frisbee in the middle of people actively sunbathing. Both are equally douche-baggy.
stevey_frac
 
Posts: 947
Joined: Tue Oct 20, 2009 10:27 pm UTC

Re: Los Angeles Prohibits Frisbee on Beaches

Postby lucrezaborgia » Sat Feb 11, 2012 4:05 am UTC

stevey_frac wrote:I think it's more, everyone INCLUDING the Frisbee players are selfish, but that the law favours one side over the other. There is no requirement that a person not start sun bathing in the middle of an active game of Frisbee, but there is a requirement not to start playing Frisbee in the middle of people actively sunbathing. Both are equally douche-baggy.


Eh...I grew up on Miami's beaches and I can assure you that most of the time, it's not the people laying around that are douches. YMMV. That being said, Miami and the rest of the cities ban certain beach sports in general areas and have designated areas for them. You can't fly a kite anywhere on the beach but somehow if you are in the water it does not count...
User avatar
lucrezaborgia
 
Posts: 366
Joined: Mon Jan 02, 2012 3:20 am UTC
Location: Green Bay, WI

Re: Los Angeles Prohibits Frisbee on Beaches

Postby omgryebread » Sat Feb 11, 2012 5:44 am UTC

Griffin wrote:
No? First part: You can only run around and play frisbee in areas large enough to do so, and playing on sand has distinct differences to playing elsewhere.

Laying on a towel in the sun? That can be done at even the smallest public parks or, heck, even in a driveway or on a roof or something. And if your problem is /getting sand on you/, maybe the beach isn't the place you should be doing it?
You're seriously going to talk about the distinction between playing frisbee on grass or whatever vs. sand, and then suggest that laying on a roof is an alternative to laying on the beach? Especially with the lack of, you know, an ocean, which doesn't seem useful or desirable for playing with a frisbee. I also don't mind sand, but I do mind it when it's kicked onto me or in my face.

[/quote]Look, none of us are trying to say sunbathers are a hazard - I mean, you can trip over them and stuff, but not really a big deal. All we're saying is the lazy fucks are incredibly annoying and intrusive, preventing people who actually want to use the beach for stuff that requires the beach from being able to do so. (Well, unless their nice about it and willing to clear a space when people actually want to use that section of the beach for something. But I've never seen that happen, ever - asking someone to move so you can play frisbee is a one way ticket to a pretentious asshole rant.)[/quote]That section of the beach is already being used for something. Sunbathing! You have this weird attitude that playing frisbee is a superior activity that deserves beach space over sunbathing. Both activities deserve beach space. It's just that one causes disruption to others attempting to use the beach. Once I plop down my towel and cooler, that's it. The small radius around me is not available for playing or sunbathing, sure. Frisbee playing takes up much more space per person. In addition, outside my small radius, unless I'm a total asshole and throwing trash around or something, I have no potential to disrupt any other space. Frisbee playing can quite easily mess with other people's spaces, even if the frisbee players are really nice and trying to be careful. They still might miss a catch and whack someone with a frisbee.

Basically, this law is simple - people who lounge on the beach are more important than those who engage in various forms of physical activity on the beach. Probably because there is more of the first. There's no high-mindedness to this law - it's just one group of people getting their way over another in regards to a place with limited space resources, nothing more, nothing less.
A city should use it's beaches for maximum economic benefit and public enjoyment (the two are probably correlated to a good degree.) With this regulation, sunbathers (the majority of people) have an increase in enjoyment. Sport-players have a decrease in enjoyment (they can't play wherever they want), but it's not as severe, because they can still play with permission. Probably not on prime beach real estate, because it makes more sense to use said prime beach space for sunbathers, since more of those can fit in that nice area than frisbee players.

stevey_frac wrote: There is no requirement that a person not start sun bathing in the middle of an active game of Frisbee, but there is a requirement not to start playing Frisbee in the middle of people actively sunbathing. Both are equally douche-baggy.
Does anyone actually do that? I really doubt someone does that. Whereas frisbee players quite often take their game to people actively sunbathing (usually by accident, but still.)
avatar from Nononono by Lynn Okamoto.
User avatar
omgryebread
 
Posts: 1371
Joined: Wed Dec 15, 2010 3:03 am UTC

Re: Los Angeles Prohibits Frisbee on Beaches

Postby Zarq » Sat Feb 11, 2012 7:05 pm UTC

omgryebread wrote: It's just that one causes disruption to others attempting to use the beach.


What if you want to talk to your friend, and the person next to you want to sleep, and your talking prevents him from sleeping. Are you suggesting everybody should just lie silently?
You rang?

"It is better to shit yourself, than to die of constipation." - Some picture on reddit
User avatar
Zarq
 
Posts: 1984
Joined: Mon Jul 26, 2010 7:29 pm UTC
Location: Third Rock from Earth's Yellow Sun

Re: Los Angeles Prohibits Frisbee on Beaches

Postby Izawwlgood » Sat Feb 11, 2012 7:13 pm UTC

Removed upon rereading originally misquoted paragraph.
Last edited by Izawwlgood on Sat Feb 11, 2012 7:37 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.
How many are the enemy, but where are they? Within, without, never ceases the fight.
User avatar
Izawwlgood
WINNING
 
Posts: 16840
Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2007 3:55 pm UTC
Location: There may be lovelier lovelies...

Re: Los Angeles Prohibits Frisbee on Beaches

Postby Zarq » Sat Feb 11, 2012 7:16 pm UTC

That was a misquote. Griffin said that, not omgryebread.
You rang?

"It is better to shit yourself, than to die of constipation." - Some picture on reddit
User avatar
Zarq
 
Posts: 1984
Joined: Mon Jul 26, 2010 7:29 pm UTC
Location: Third Rock from Earth's Yellow Sun

Re: Los Angeles Prohibits Frisbee on Beaches

Postby Diadem » Sat Feb 11, 2012 7:37 pm UTC

omgryebread wrote:A city should use it's beaches for maximum economic benefit

Ban both the sunbathers and frisbee players then, and build replace the beaches with factories. It's the ideal spot, not only can they easily ship in large amounts of goods, they have a convenient place to dump toxic waste.

Or you know, you could realize that it 's the public interest that should concern a government, not the economy (well not beyond what is important for the public interest).
It's one of those irregular verbs, isn't it? I have an independent mind, you are an eccentric, he is round the twist
- Bernard Woolley in Yes, Prime Minister
User avatar
Diadem
 
Posts: 4950
Joined: Wed Jun 11, 2008 11:03 am UTC
Location: The Netherlands

Re: Los Angeles Prohibits Frisbee on Beaches

Postby omgryebread » Sat Feb 11, 2012 9:27 pm UTC

Diadem wrote:
omgryebread wrote:A city should use it's beaches for maximum economic benefit

Ban both the sunbathers and frisbee players then, and build replace the beaches with factories. It's the ideal spot, not only can they easily ship in large amounts of goods, they have a convenient place to dump toxic waste.

Or you know, you could realize that it 's the public interest that should concern a government, not the economy (well not beyond what is important for the public interest).
Wow really, did you just do that?

omgryebread wrote:A city should use it's beaches for maximum economic benefit and public enjoyment (the two are probably correlated to a good degree.)
That's a deliberate and obvious misrepresentation of what I said.
avatar from Nononono by Lynn Okamoto.
User avatar
omgryebread
 
Posts: 1371
Joined: Wed Dec 15, 2010 3:03 am UTC

Re: Los Angeles Prohibits Frisbee on Beaches

Postby stevey_frac » Sat Feb 11, 2012 10:06 pm UTC

omgryebread wrote:
stevey_frac wrote: There is no requirement that a person not start sun bathing in the middle of an active game of Frisbee, but there is a requirement not to start playing Frisbee in the middle of people actively sunbathing. Both are equally douche-baggy.
Does anyone actually do that? I really doubt someone does that. Whereas frisbee players quite often take their game to people actively sunbathing (usually by accident, but still.)


To be fair: I've never seen Frisbee players attempt to start playing a game amongst people, nor have I seen sunbathers attempt to lay down in the middle of a game.

Both seem equally implausible to me.
stevey_frac
 
Posts: 947
Joined: Tue Oct 20, 2009 10:27 pm UTC

Re: Los Angeles Prohibits Frisbee on Beaches

Postby Diadem » Sat Feb 11, 2012 10:53 pm UTC

omgryebread wrote:
Diadem wrote:
omgryebread wrote:A city should use it's beaches for maximum economic benefit

Ban both the sunbathers and frisbee players then, and build replace the beaches with factories. It's the ideal spot, not only can they easily ship in large amounts of goods, they have a convenient place to dump toxic waste.

Or you know, you could realize that it 's the public interest that should concern a government, not the economy (well not beyond what is important for the public interest).
Wow really, did you just do that?

omgryebread wrote:A city should use it's beaches for maximum economic benefit and public enjoyment (the two are probably correlated to a good degree.)
That's a deliberate and obvious misrepresentation of what I said.

Because I cut off the second part? Well I agree with the second part, so why would I include that part in my argument?

Your argument was, summarized, that sunbathers should take precedence over frisbee players because you can fit more of them per acre, so the city would rake in more tax dollars. That's a purely economic argument. So don't tell me I misrepresented what you said.
It's one of those irregular verbs, isn't it? I have an independent mind, you are an eccentric, he is round the twist
- Bernard Woolley in Yes, Prime Minister
User avatar
Diadem
 
Posts: 4950
Joined: Wed Jun 11, 2008 11:03 am UTC
Location: The Netherlands

Re: Los Angeles Prohibits Frisbee on Beaches

Postby omgryebread » Sat Feb 11, 2012 11:34 pm UTC

Diadem wrote:Because I cut off the second part? Well I agree with the second part, so why would I include that part in my argument?

Your argument was, summarized, that sunbathers should take precedence over frisbee players because you can fit more of them per acre, so the city would rake in more tax dollars. That's a purely economic argument. So don't tell me I misrepresented what you said.
Because the second part significantly changed my meaning. It wasn't two separate and distinct points. There was literally no grammatical separation. Your quote would be valid if it was an independent phrase or a separate sentence, but it was not, and you took a warped version of my point. What you claim is my argument is not my argument at all. My argument is that public property should be used for maximum public benefit, which includes both economic and intangible value. Looking at one without the other is bad policy. The city could make the beach more profitable by charging, but that's bad. On the other hand, the city could make the beach more fun by charging oceanside businesses less property tax in exchange for them lowering prices of their goods. That is also bad policy.

So yeah, your quotation of me basically ignored grammatical rules to change my point to something different.

Example, "I think Ponyville should be for Pegasi and Unicorns" has a significantly different meaning from "I think Ponyville should be for Pegasi", even though the second is technically directly quoting the first.

Why do I use an overwhelming amount of TV aimed at young girls for examples?
avatar from Nononono by Lynn Okamoto.
User avatar
omgryebread
 
Posts: 1371
Joined: Wed Dec 15, 2010 3:03 am UTC

Re: Los Angeles Prohibits Frisbee on Beaches

Postby Metaphysician » Sat Feb 11, 2012 11:39 pm UTC

I'm nearsighted and colorblind. I like going to the beach but all the people laying down on the ground are hard to see and a tripping hazard for me, so my problem with this law is that it doesn't ban people from laying out on beaches and tripping me when I walk.
What should young people do with their lives today? Many things, obviously. But the most daring thing is to create stable communities in which the terrible disease of loneliness can be cured.
-Kurt Vonnegut
User avatar
Metaphysician
 
Posts: 520
Joined: Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:58 pm UTC
Location: WV, The Tenth Circle of Hell

Re: Los Angeles Prohibits Frisbee on Beaches

Postby Tiberius » Sun Feb 12, 2012 4:26 am UTC

Diadem wrote:Because I cut off the second part? Well I agree with the second part, so why would I include that part in my argument?

Your argument was, summarized, that sunbathers should take precedence over frisbee players because you can fit more of them per acre, so the city would rake in more tax dollars. That's a purely economic argument. So don't tell me I misrepresented what you said.

It's not just misrepresentative, it's plagiarism.
Tiberius
 
Posts: 165
Joined: Wed Dec 29, 2010 10:42 pm UTC

Re: Los Angeles Prohibits Frisbee on Beaches

Postby sje46 » Mon Feb 13, 2012 2:02 am UTC

This is off-topic but last summer I went to an LA beach (Seal Beach) and there were dead stingray skeletons all over the place. Like, the place was *infested* with them. And I'm an east coast guy; our beaches don't have that or any animals. So I went swimming and I felt something in the water. I thought it was one of those floppy frisbee things. NOPE.

So to get back on topic...yeah, that sucks, I guess.
General_Norris: Taking pride in your nation is taking pride in the division of humanity.
Pirate.Bondage: Let's get married. Right now.
sje46
 
Posts: 4724
Joined: Wed May 14, 2008 4:41 am UTC
Location: New Hampshire

Re: Los Angeles Prohibits Frisbee on Beaches

Postby Chen » Mon Feb 13, 2012 2:43 pm UTC

stevey_frac wrote:To be fair: I've never seen Frisbee players attempt to start playing a game amongst people, nor have I seen sunbathers attempt to lay down in the middle of a game.

Both seem equally implausible to me.


Well I've seen people throw a frisbee/football where it lands on people sunbathing, either due to being jerks or just missing a catch. I've never seen someone accidentally start sunbathing in the middle of a game of frisbee or football though.
Chen
 
Posts: 3885
Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2008 6:53 pm UTC
Location: Montreal

Re: Los Angeles Prohibits Frisbee on Beaches

Postby Dauric » Mon Feb 13, 2012 4:01 pm UTC

Chen wrote:
stevey_frac wrote:To be fair: I've never seen Frisbee players attempt to start playing a game amongst people, nor have I seen sunbathers attempt to lay down in the middle of a game.

Both seem equally implausible to me.


Well I've seen people throw a frisbee/football where it lands on people sunbathing, either due to being jerks or just missing a catch. I've never seen someone accidentally start sunbathing in the middle of a game of frisbee or football though.


Ahh, you've never seen the rare person who can't control their teleporting ability while they're sunbathing. Not many people know that the Volleyball competition of the '84 L.A. Olympics was disrupted for an hour while roughly a dozen 'porting sunbathers suddenly appeared on the designated courts unaware of their surroundings. At the time solar flares were blamed, but some people today blame time-travelling terminators in the weightlifting competition for the sabotage.

...

</snark*>

<* Either that or the cold medication I'm on to fight the flu that has knocked out half my office by this point is phasing my perception of reality in to some really strange places. Probably both 'snark' and strange-brain-syndrome.)
We're in the traffic-chopper over the XKCD boards where there's been a thread-derailment. Later, Garrus was eaten by a shark. It is believed that the Point has perished in the accident. Back to you Bob.
User avatar
Dauric
 
Posts: 3170
Joined: Wed Aug 05, 2009 6:58 pm UTC
Location: If I knew this with any accuracy I wouldn't know if I was going to get a speeding ticket.

Previous

Return to News & Articles

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: n42r8k8m, Paul in Saudi and 9 guests