Police misbehavior thread

Seen something interesting in the news or on the intertubes? Discuss it here.

Moderators: Zamfir, Hawknc, Moderators General, Prelates

Coyne

Re: Police misbehavior thread

Postby Coyne » Sat Jan 03, 2015 11:14 am UTC

I've been watching that with interest from other sources.

It amazes me, their arrogant presumption that they are entitled to special treatment: To be safe from criticism even as they criticize; free from challenge, even as they challenge authority; free from arrest, even as they arrest (at the drop of a resisting order); free to just go all "blue flu" when they're annoyed. I am highly disappointed in them.

This cartoon, Respect for the Law, expresses it very well.

If you want another example, we have former Police Chief William McCollom, in Peachtree City, Ga, who shot his wife accidentally, early on the 1st. Shot her accidentally twice, early reports said; they've now "corrected" that, saying he only shot her once.

His story now is that he shot her while moving the gun "to the side". But even this article says, "During McCollom's 911 call, he told the dispatcher he and his wife were asleep when the gun went off."

I don't have a wife, but if I did, and I shot her under circumstances like that, and I told the police inconsistent stories like that, I'd expect to be thrown in a cell so fast the sonic boom would peel the paint off the bars. Is he under arrest? Of course not. Will they tell us all the gory details, like they would for an ordinary citizen like me? Of course not.

But it's not like police expect or get special treatment, or anything like that. Disappointed.
In all fairness...

sardia

Postby sardia » Sat Jan 03, 2015 5:00 pm UTC

While it could backfire on the cops, it will for sure cost millions of dollars in lost revenue. That will have to be made up. Now a normal person would just borrow, cut, or raise money to make up this shortfall, but people are stupid. They don't know how to fund marginal spending anymore.

addams

Postby addams » Sat Jan 03, 2015 5:55 pm UTC

Everyone is watching.
The world is watching.

Some are holding their breath.
Like me.

I had to listen to stories of History, because the Reading was So fricking dull or in German or both.
I couldn't do the reading.

One story nearly made me sick.
The People were standing up to The Crown and The Army.

The Army made a Big Show of removing themselves.
They marched in the Front Door of the Castle like the Solders in the Wizard of Oz movie.

They changed their clothes and went out The Back Door.
They caused a lot of trouble. It's a Classic Maneuver.

Will they do that This Time?
Will The People say, "No. We have facial recognition software on Our Phones."

New Yorkers could photograph one another being Good Guys.
When a Bad Guy shows up, he'll get photographed, too.

oh. On a side note.
If they start releasing violent offenders, well....

The Governor or Mayor or Someone, still has control of Spontaneous Pardons. (right?)
Please say, "Yes."
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

KnightExemplar

Postby KnightExemplar » Sat Jan 03, 2015 6:39 pm UTC

sardia wrote:While it could backfire on the cops, it will for sure cost millions of dollars in lost revenue. That will have to be made up. Now a normal person would just borrow, cut, or raise money to make up this shortfall, but people are stupid. They don't know how to fund marginal spending anymore.

NYC has one of the best bond ratings at Aa2 (from Moodys). They have a rich populace, excellent credit and good flow from taxes. They'll be fine.

A more immediate effect would be the word spreading that significant revenue of NYC comes from speeding tickets and fines. Generally, people don't like "revenue generation" to come from cops. Speeding tickets should only be issued to deter accidents, and not function as a source of revenue.
First Strike +1/+1 and Indestructible.

Coyne

Postby Coyne » Mon Jan 05, 2015 4:10 am UTC

An interesting and thought-provoking article about the difference between the way the media treats police versus non-police. In the event, caught on tape, a large man attacked an uniformed female transit employee. During initial reports, the man was described as a "hulking brute", a "thug", and the attack was described as "unprovoked".

Spoiler:
Before wrote:A hulking brute grabbed a 28-year-old MTA employee up in a bear hug at a Bronx train station, shoved her onto the platform and began choking her in an unprovoked attack - then ran away smiling, authorities said Wednesday.

After wrote:Police Officer Mirjan Loija, 37, was suspended after the assault in which the Metropolitan Transportation Authority worker - who was on-duty and in her uniform - was allegedly put into a bear hug, thrown to the floor and choked, cops said.

Last from New York Daily News - NYPD cop turns himself in for attacking female MTA employee

Then, it was discovered that the man was, in fact a police officer (who is now suspended). All of a sudden, "hulking brute" and "thug" are no longer in the description of the event; the word "attacked" is dropped; and the event is now "alleged" instead of "unprovoked".

There's also a sharp distinction between the two reports in another respect: In the first report, the "hulking brute" of a "thug" grabbed. In the second, the worker "was allegedly [attacked]" ... not that the "officer allegedly [attacked]"...as if someone unknown "allegedly attacked"; as if the officer no longer is the one who committed the act. They point to another example of this same change of voice in another story.

But the change in language: voice, intonation, actor is most apparent in the main example, because of the fact that it is exactly the same event, reported both before and after the attacker was known to be a police officer.

Here’s How Differently The Media Covers An Assault Before And After Learning It Was Done By A Cop
In all fairness...

addams

Postby addams » Mon Jan 05, 2015 5:05 am UTC

That's depressing.
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/11/24/nyreg ... .html?_r=0
November 11th, 2014.
A young man is shot by a Police 9mm in the stairwell of his home.

The headline of the New York Times article about the crime:
In Brooklyn, 2 Young Men, a Dark Stairwell and a Gunshot

That sounds like a Lover's Quarrel that got out of hand.
The Shooter, Officer Liang, did not get a good look at the victim.
Not before he shot him. They were not Lovers.

For Mr. Gurley, the stairs, even in their sorry state, offered the best alternative to chronically malfunctioning project elevators.
For Officer Liang, their darkness presented a threat.

If the Police are too frightened to go into those people's homes,
Maybe they should Not go into those people's homes.

The Police are trained to be afraid.
Humans are a panicy animal. We don't need to be trained to be afraid.
We need to be trained to be Brave. We need to be comforted and reassured.

What we get are 9mm's. That's a big gun.
The sound of that thing going off in a stairwell might haunt that woman.

Within hours of the shooting late Thursday night, the Police Department had conceded a grave error.
The mayor and William J. Bratton, the police commissioner, visited the family home on Friday to apologize.

I think the man's superiors behaved correctly, under the circumstances.

I have no idea what to think.
The Police are afraid of the people.
The people are afraid of The Police.

What the Hell are we supposed to Do about it?

by mr. Oscar Wilde.

HungryHobo

Postby HungryHobo » Mon Jan 05, 2015 4:58 pm UTC

Coyne wrote:Then, it was discovered that the man was, in fact a police officer (who is now suspended). All of a sudden, "hulking brute" and "thug" are no longer in the description of the event; the word "attacked" is dropped; and the event is now "alleged" instead of "unprovoked".

Anonymous vs non-anonymous.

Once the person is identified you open yourself up to legal problems if you make concrete claims about what they did or didn't do.

Lets say some random masked joker ran through town naked except for his mask. When nobody knows who it is I'm free to write whatever I like, I can write that the unidentified person did a long list of terrible, very concrete things.

Who's going to sue me? The masked joker isn't going to come forward to sue me for saying he ran through an orphanage singing "where's you momma gone". Even if it's false. Even if the masked joker is later identified, at the time I wasn't writing about an [identity] I was writing about a list of accusations for someone unknown.

The next day the police arest Joe Blogs. Now if I write about the same story I can't say "joe blogs definitely did this and also ran through an orphanage singing 'where's you momma gone' " because it's going to go to court and if he gets found innocent he might sue me for saying that Joe Blogs did that.

So a concrete statement like "The Anonymous Thug did X" becomes "Joe Blogs alegedly did X"

You see the same pattern with non-cops on this one.
Give a man a fish, he owes you one fish. Teach a man to fish, you give up your monopoly on fisheries.

Coyne

Postby Coyne » Mon Jan 05, 2015 6:47 pm UTC

HungryHobo wrote:
Coyne wrote:Then, it was discovered that the man was, in fact a police officer (who is now suspended). All of a sudden, "hulking brute" and "thug" are no longer in the description of the event; the word "attacked" is dropped; and the event is now "alleged" instead of "unprovoked".

Anonymous vs non-anonymous.

Once the person is identified you open yourself up to legal problems if you make concrete claims about what they did or didn't do.

Lets say some random masked joker ran through town naked except for his mask. When nobody knows who it is I'm free to write whatever I like, I can write that the unidentified person did a long list of terrible, very concrete things.

While, if true, this may take the issue out of the realm of soft-handing police, it is dehumanizing.

I imagine a person talking to 911 on their cell, "Umm...Yes, there's giant hulking brute in a hoodie!...Well, I'm not sure if he's armed or not, but he's wandering around my neighborhood!...He's definitely up to some kind of criminal activity!...Oh, quick, he's coming after me!...Oh, wait...It's George from next door!...Hi, George!" Just how do you think that's going to be regarded by George, when he learns the details?

Even if it isn't cop related it is an ugly practice that should stop.

...and I'm not exactly sold that the descriptions would change so greatly for non-police.
In all fairness...

sardia

Postby sardia » Thu Jan 08, 2015 3:47 am UTC

As a reminder of what racism looks like in America, take a look at a few examples of when an African should really bring in a white standin.
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/01/04/upsho ... f=politics
■ When doctors were shown patient histories and asked to make judgments about heart disease, they were much less likely to recommend cardiac catheterization (a helpful procedure) to black patients — even when their medical files were statistically identical to those of white patients.
■ When whites and blacks were sent to bargain for a used car, blacks were offered initial prices roughly $700 higher, and they received far smaller concessions.
■ Several studies found that sending emails with stereotypically black names in response to apartment-rental ads on Craigslist elicited fewer responses than sending ones with white names. A regularly repeated study by the federal Department of Housing and Urban Development sent African-Americans and whites to look at apartments and found that African-Americans were shown fewer apartments to rent and houses for sale.
■ White state legislators were found to be less likely to respond to constituents with African-American names. This was true of legislators in both political parties.
■ Emails sent to faculty members at universities, asking to talk about research opportunities, were more likely to get a reply if a stereotypically white name was used.
■ Even eBay auctions were not immune. When iPods were auctioned on eBay, researchers randomly varied the skin color on the hand holding the iPod. A white hand holding the iPod received 21 percent more offers than a black hand.
■The criminal justice system — the focus of current debates — is harder to examine this way. One study, though, found a clever method. The pools of people from which jurors are chosen are effectively random. Analyzing this natural experiment revealed that an all-white jury was 16 percentage points more likely to convict a black defendant than a white one, but when a jury had one black member, it convicted both at the same rate.

It's very pervasive, and without active effort to counteract or acknowledge the bias, it happens all too easily, intentionally or not.

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Thu Jan 08, 2015 5:05 am UTC

OTOH, we are better than France. According to that article, no-normative names in the US have 67% the chance of getting a call-back when applying to jobs as normative names, but in France, it's more like 40%. CHOKE ON IT, FROGS!

Also the first item on that list may be justified.

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.
Location: UK/[St. Kitts and] Nevis Occasionally, I migrate to the US for a bit

Postby Angua » Thu Jan 08, 2015 7:43 am UTC

You do realise that race is an independent risk factor for cardiovascular disease?

http://www.world-heart-federation.org/cardiovascular-health/cardiovascular-disease-risk-factors/

edit:
Spoiler:
spoiler, technically I believe it's down to variations in the Apo proteins, with the high risk ones being more common in people of West African descent. These people are less likely to get infected with East African Trypanosomiasis. However, you can't genotype everyone with cardiovascular disease.
'Look, sir, I know Angua. She's not the useless type. She doesn't stand there and scream helplessly. She makes other people do that.'
GNU Terry Pratchett

natraj

Postby natraj » Thu Jan 08, 2015 8:06 am UTC

CorruptUser wrote:Also the first item on that list may be justified.

the study wrote:We found that the race and sex of the patient affected the physicians' decisions about whether to refer patients with chest pain for cardiac catheterization, even after we adjusted for symptoms, the physicians' estimates of the probability of coronary disease, and clinical characteristics.

regardless of the difference in the probability of heart disease in black people (which if it's higher why would you recommend treatment less often? that isn't a challenge question i just don't understand why.) the physicians' own estimation of the patient risk was already factored in to this.
You want to know the future, love? Then wait:
I'll answer your impatient questions. Still --
They'll call it chance, or luck, or call it Fate,
The cards and stars that tumble as they will.

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.

Postby Angua » Thu Jan 08, 2015 11:33 am UTC

I read that wrong, probably because that's what I war expecting. Should be more often.
'Look, sir, I know Angua. She's not the useless type. She doesn't stand there and scream helplessly. She makes other people do that.'
GNU Terry Pratchett

HungryHobo

Postby HungryHobo » Thu Jan 08, 2015 11:51 am UTC

http://dartmed.dartmouth.edu/winter99/h ... race.shtml

The DMS trio dug into the study's data and published a follow-up article— titled "Misunderstandings About the Effects of Race and Sex on Physicians' Referrals for Cardiac Catheterization"—in the July 22 New England Journal.
Welch says their article was more than simply a response to the Schulman paper, although that study "happened to have a number of very good examples of what we would say was really misleading." The DMS team wanted "to help reporters be more critical consumers of data and to encourage researchers to be more forthright in their display of information."
The differing rates of referral reported in the original article were widely interpreted in the media as demonstrating that blacks and women were "40% less likely" to be referred for cardiac testing than whites or men. In fact, blacks were referred only 7% less often than whites.

Implication: Another problem with the original paper, pointed out the DMS trio, was that it aggregated the data by race and sex rather than breaking it down for black men, black women, white men, and white women—thus implying that all blacks were referred less often than all whites and that all women were referred less often than all men.
In fact, when the DMS team analyzed the data, it was clear that black and white men and white women were referred at the same rate (90.6%), and that only black women were referred at a lower rate (78.8%).
In addition, according to Woloshin, "the big difference between the black women and everyone else really boils down to the rate of referral for one actress —[an] older black woman. It turns out that she was referred less often than anyone else." Schwartz, Woloshin, and Welch do agree that the Schulman study "raises questions about differential treatment of black women and that the most reasonable approach is to take a second look."
Give a man a fish, he owes you one fish. Teach a man to fish, you give up your monopoly on fisheries.

addams

Postby addams » Thu Jan 08, 2015 2:46 pm UTC

natraj wrote:
CorruptUser wrote:Also the first item on that list may be justified.

the study wrote:We found that the race and sex of the patient affected the physicians' decisions about whether to refer patients with chest pain for cardiac catheterization, even after we adjusted for symptoms, the physicians' estimates of the probability of coronary disease, and clinical characteristics.

regardless of the difference in the probability of heart disease in black people (which if it's higher why would you recommend treatment less often? that isn't a challenge question i just don't understand why.) the physicians' own estimation of the patient risk was already factored in to this.

This is a subjet for a different Thread.
Spoiler:
From the Linked Wikipedia article:
An alternative to "race-based medicine" is personalized medicine that involves identifying genetic, genomic (i.e., genomic sequencing), and clinical information—as opposed to using race as a proxy for these data—to better predict a patient's predisposition to certain diseases

Yes; When we live in the Future.

Until then, Race will be used to help point the way to a Diagnosis.
Race is important.

.The US American Black Person is At Risk for High Blood Pressure.
Not because they eat salty food. That makes it worse, after onsouct of symptoms.

It's their kidneys.
We have kidney medicine, now.

It's so strange.
I know how the Black US American got Very Conservative Kidneys.

The American Indian of the North East have a ...Genetic Kidney Failure.
The subject gets complicated.

That conversation has no place in Arrest Policy.
In arrest Policy:
Tall ones are warned to duck in doorways.
Fat ones are offered a sturdy seat.

I have an Idea!
Every Arrest has a Competent and Complete Medical Work-Up!

I have an Idea!
Every Arrest has a competent and Complete Medical Work-Up!

It's a great Idea, even if I do say so, myself.
If some guy gets arrested every week-end...Like in Mayberry...

A little blood work and a physical is all we'd need.
Most people don't get arrested every week-end.

Gee. We have plenty Police; We'd need some Doctors and Nurses.

by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.

Postby Angua » Thu Jan 22, 2015 3:04 pm UTC

Yet another fatal shooting. This one is on the dash cam of the policecar. I can't see why they shot him if he got out with nothing in his hands.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-30928110
GNU Terry Pratchett

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Thu Jan 22, 2015 3:14 pm UTC

Pity the video isn't in the link. Edit: it is, just need to re-enable videos. So which officer shot him? The video doesn't show the shooting.

leady

Postby leady » Thu Jan 22, 2015 3:32 pm UTC

Im british and even I know getting out of the car at an american traffic stop is a good way to get dead.

Tyndmyr

Postby Tyndmyr » Thu Jan 22, 2015 3:55 pm UTC

leady wrote:Im british and even I know getting out of the car at an american traffic stop is a good way to get dead.

Yeaaah, but maybe that's not an entirely reasonable standard.

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.

Postby Angua » Thu Jan 22, 2015 3:57 pm UTC

CorruptUser wrote:Pity the video isn't in the link. Edit: it is, just need to re-enable videos. So which officer shot him? The video doesn't show the shooting.

I don't know. The bbc doesn't tend to show the actual shooting which is why I assume it was edited.

He was told to get out of the car, as far as I can tell. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.
GNU Terry Pratchett

leady

Postby leady » Thu Jan 22, 2015 4:07 pm UTC

Tyndmyr wrote:
leady wrote:Im british and even I know getting out of the car at an american traffic stop is a good way to get dead.

Yeaaah, but maybe that's not an entirely reasonable standard.

Absolutely but it is the standard and renders the ethnicity academic, which is of course the only reason this particular stop with a fatal outcome is on the bbc. Of course if the video does have the cops asking him to get out of the car...

Chen

Postby Chen » Thu Jan 22, 2015 4:11 pm UTC

Angua wrote:I don't know. The bbc doesn't tend to show the actual shooting which is why I assume it was edited.

He was told to get out of the car, as far as I can tell. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

You know I read the article as that too for some reason. They asked him to get out of the car and shot him. But in fact it doesn't say anything about them asking him to get out of the car. This CBC article seems to say the opposite in fact. I mean its still way too trigger happy on the cops side but its a little less insane than them telling him to exit the car and then shooting him.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/jemare-rei ... -1.2927444

In the video, the mood changes in a flash when Days tells his partner about the gun and starts yelling, "Show me your hands!" The driver, Leroy Tutt, raises his hands immediately. Reid does not at first.

Days, still yelling, reaches into the car and appears to remove a gun.

"I'm going to shoot you," Days shouts, at one point addressing Reid by his first name. "You're going to be f—-ing dead. If you reach for something, you're going to be f—-ing dead."

Days tells his partner, "He's reaching for something."

Faintly on the video, Reid can be heard telling the officer, "I ain't doing nothing. I'm not reaching for nothing, bro. I ain't got no reason to reach for nothing."

Then one of the men in the car tells the officer, "I'm getting out and getting on the ground."

The officer again orders Reid not to move. Seconds later, Reid emerges from the car, raising his hands, which appear to be empty. Both officers fire immediately, shooting at least six rounds.

DSenette

Postby DSenette » Thu Jan 22, 2015 4:13 pm UTC

Chen wrote:
Angua wrote:I don't know. The bbc doesn't tend to show the actual shooting which is why I assume it was edited.

You know I read the article as that too for some reason. They asked him to get out of the car and shot him. But in fact it doesn't say anything about them asking him to get out of the car. This CBC article seems to say the opposite in fact. I mean its still way too trigger happy on the cops side but its a little less insane than them telling him to exit the car and then shooting him.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/jemare-rei ... -1.2927444

In the video, the mood changes in a flash when Days tells his partner about the gun and starts yelling, "Show me your hands!" The driver, Leroy Tutt, raises his hands immediately. Reid does not at first.

Days, still yelling, reaches into the car and appears to remove a gun.

"I'm going to shoot you," Days shouts, at one point addressing Reid by his first name. "You're going to be f—-ing dead. If you reach for something, you're going to be f—-ing dead."

Days tells his partner, "He's reaching for something."

Faintly on the video, Reid can be heard telling the officer, "I ain't doing nothing. I'm not reaching for nothing, bro. I ain't got no reason to reach for nothing."

Then one of the men in the car tells the officer, "I'm getting out and getting on the ground."

The officer again orders Reid not to move. Seconds later, Reid emerges from the car, raising his hands, which appear to be empty. Both officers fire immediately, shooting at least six rounds.

in the video you can here the one officer say to the other officer that they need to get them out of the car
The Righteous Hand Of Retribution
"The evaporation of 4 million who believe this crap would leave the world an instantly better place." ~Andre Codresu (re: "the Rapture")

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.

Postby Angua » Thu Jan 22, 2015 4:15 pm UTC

Really, because if police shooting an armed person at a traffic stop isn't newsworthy enough then there is something wrong.

Also, I'm pretty sure the statistics about who is more likely to get shot in these scenarios has been done to death enough times in this thread for us not to have go over the ethnicity is relevant thing.

ninja'd by Chen - huh, weird about how it reads. I guess he was hoping that if he was out of the car then they wouldn't think that he'd be reaching for anything?
GNU Terry Pratchett

Chen

Postby Chen » Thu Jan 22, 2015 4:19 pm UTC

DSenette wrote:in the video you can here the one officer say to the other officer that they need to get them out of the car

I can't watch the video at work. Do they tell the person in the car to get out though? Or are they talking amongst themselves? Maybe that CBC article is wrong too, its all I was going by.

DSenette

Postby DSenette » Thu Jan 22, 2015 4:23 pm UTC

nope...just rewatched it...the guy in the car says he's going to get out and get on the ground and the cop tells him not to...so yeah, but in the beginning the cop does tell the other cop that they have to get them out of the car because of the gun in the glove box.

presumably, as the guy in the car, you'd imagine that you're in a bit of a spot...you can't reach over and close the glove box, how else do you get away from the gun? which is obviously what the cop wants...you away from the gun. how do you accomplish that when there's a guy with a gun in your face through the window. the BBC video doesn't show the part where the guy is getting out of the car, I mean...presumably if the guy reached down and grabbed the gun out of the glovebox on the way out the cop would have shot him before the door opened.
The Righteous Hand Of Retribution
"The evaporation of 4 million who believe this crap would leave the world an instantly better place." ~Andre Codresu (re: "the Rapture")

HungryHobo

Postby HungryHobo » Thu Jan 22, 2015 4:45 pm UTC

The BBC video cuts off but the full liveleak version is much more informative without the sound cutting out for swearing (because heaven forbid anyone hears the word "fuck").

All pretty calm till the the cops shout they see a gun in the glove compartment.

the driver follows instructions exactly (we see his hands out on the left) but the police are shouting about the passenger.

They keep shouting "don't move, don't fucking move, don't you move, don't move"

I hear no order for him to get out.

At which point the passenger pretty much jumps out of the passenger seat very fast.
That doesn't look like someone trying to make it clear they're not a threat or trying to get on the floor.

It's not like that video with the guy getting his wallet.

he doesn't have his hands up, he doesn't appear to be trying to put his hands up, I can't see if he has anything in his hands with the quality but the policeman jumps back and as he jumps out the passenger extends an arm towards the cop at which point he gets shot. The cop on the right just jumped back shouting something not very clear but something like "DON MO! - DOJUT!" as the guy jumps out.

This video seems pretty good for the cops.

Grop

Postby Grop » Thu Jan 22, 2015 6:40 pm UTC

Great story, we have a man who moved and was murdered after being yelled at by some nervous cops, and we are wondering if he was also ordered to move.

Chen

Postby Chen » Thu Jan 22, 2015 6:55 pm UTC

Grop wrote:Great story, we have a man who moved and was murdered after being yelled at by some nervous cops, and we are wondering if he was also ordered to move.

Well as it stands I kinda need to see the video to make a judgement. If, however, he had been ordered to move, moved and was then shot because he moved, I'd be pretty ok with saying the cops are clearly in the wrong in that case.

PolakoVoador

Postby PolakoVoador » Thu Jan 22, 2015 7:30 pm UTC

According to a thread on reddit, the cop knew Reid by name because he had been previously arrested for shooting at cops. Or threatening to do it, I don't quite remember.

I can sort of understand why the cop would be a little jumpy. Add this to the fact that Reid exited to vehicle against the officers instructions, and quite abruptly, and this case doesn't seem so clear cut anymore.

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Thu Jan 22, 2015 11:27 pm UTC

Link to verify those claims?

HungryHobo

Postby HungryHobo » Fri Jan 23, 2015 10:09 am UTC

Grop wrote:Great story, we have a man who moved and was murdered after being yelled at by some nervous cops, and we are wondering if he was also ordered to move.

Just watch the full video.
Someone "moved" very fast into a shooting pose while cops had guns pointed at him and were telling him not to move.

I'd say from the other side of the car it looked a hell of a lot like someone trying to get a shot off and probably from the same side of the car as well.

PolakoVoador

Postby PolakoVoador » Fri Jan 23, 2015 11:07 am UTC

CorruptUser wrote:Link to verify those claims?

Sorry, I saw it a couple of days ago, via mobile on reddit. I will try to search it later when I have the time

HungryHobo

Postby HungryHobo » Fri Jan 23, 2015 11:22 am UTC

CorruptUser wrote:Link to verify those claims?

http://www.inquisitr.com/1775828/jerame ... med-video/

Days knew Reid from a previous drug arrest. Jerame[Reid] also served about 13 years in prison due to shooting at state troopers as a teen.

http://legalinsurrection.com/2015/01/vi ... black-man/

The South Jersey Times reports that last summer Officer Days was involved in the arrest of Reid for heroin and cocaine possession, and resisting arrest. The same source reports that Reid has previously served thirteen years in prison for shooting at New Jersey State Police Officers.

Given Day’s previous experience in arresting a non-compliant Reid it seems quite possible that he would have been aware of Reid’s history of shooting at police, knowledge which would naturally have contributed to his reasonable fear of death or grave bodily harm at the hands of the once again non-compliant suspect.

http://www.nj.com/cumberland/index.ssf/ ... 546d1ffc01

Reid previously spent about 13 years in state prison for shooting at three New Jersey State Police troopers when he was a teenager. Reid was also arrested this summer on charges of obstruction, resisting arrest, possession of narcotics and failure to appear in Millville Municipal Court. Authorities said Days was one of the arresting officers at the time.

leady

Postby leady » Fri Jan 23, 2015 11:48 am UTC

So a personally known violent fellon makes a sudden movement in direct contravention of an armed police officer commands and ends up dead.

I wonder what is slightly special about this case compared to the other 4 -5 people the us police gun down everyday that means it reaches the british state broadcaster.....

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Fri Jan 23, 2015 1:27 pm UTC

leady wrote:So a personally known violent fellon makes a sudden movement in direct contravention of an armed police officer commands and ends up dead.

I wonder what is slightly special about this case compared to the other 4 -5 people the us police gun down everyday that means it reaches the british state broadcaster.....

He's on video and Black; given recent events, Britain is looking for the next big news item.

morriswalters

Postby morriswalters » Fri Jan 23, 2015 1:42 pm UTC

leady wrote:So a personally known violent fellon makes a sudden movement in direct contravention of an armed police officer commands and ends up dead.

That is an interesting number, 4 or 5 a day. And wouldn't you be a better judge of why the BBC is interested in a shooting in "Amerika".

natraj

Postby natraj » Fri Jan 23, 2015 9:10 pm UTC

i know this is america and we really just love to be Tough On Crime and once you have broken any law ever at any point in your life you obviously deserve death but, nah, i'm not here for this pattern of always just trying to find any possible reason it's okay for cops to kill black folk.

dude served thirteen years for shooting at cops, yeah? that means that at the very least, that happened thirteen years ago. so he committed a violent crime as a teenager 13+ years ago (the more recent offences listed were not violent ones so pulling them in as an excuse for Oh me yarm so dangerous they obviously had to be jumpy and shoot him is nonsense) and it's okay to kill him. right, i know, in order for black people to be worthy of life we have to be ten times better than white folk, have to be ivy league grads, suit-and-tie professionals, who've never sworn or smoked a cigarette or had a drink in our lives, but i'm also not here for that either, like

you ALSO don't get to murder ex-cons because they're ex-cons, it doesn't become okay because you've decided they're bad people, it doesn't become okay because they're junkies or homeless or mentally ill or have a rap sheet a mile long. seriously.

we have a justice system. it's there for a reason. it's a nonsense crap terrible highly biased incredibly terrible justice system that does more to keep people impoverished and reoffending than help anything at all and it needs hella reform, but, okay, for now it is what it is. if this dude was chock-full-of-crime, okay, s'cool, you arrest him and the courts can sort that out, that's not license to shoot him dead.

and if cops are so freaking jumpy and trigger-happy that they just HAVE to kill people because they have a previous criminal history and therefore might be dangerous they sure as heck should not be cops because, guess, what, as cops you are going to be encountering a lot of people with prior criminal histories, and if that makes you just have to panic and kill them you are in the wrong line of work.
You want to know the future, love? Then wait:
I'll answer your impatient questions. Still --
They'll call it chance, or luck, or call it Fate,
The cards and stars that tumble as they will.

Belial
A terrible sound heard from a distance

Postby Belial » Fri Jan 23, 2015 9:47 pm UTC

There needs to be a button I can slam to make everyone look at that post and read it through like three times before they say anything else.
addams wrote:A drunk neighbor is better than a sober Belial.

They/them

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Fri Jan 23, 2015 9:55 pm UTC

Add a word filter to this thread that replaces the letter E with Natraj's speech? Maybe add a captcha that requires you to type it out?
Last edited by CorruptUser on Fri Jan 23, 2015 9:58 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “News & Articles”