Police misbehavior thread

Seen something interesting in the news or on the intertubes? Discuss it here.

Moderators: Zamfir, Hawknc, Moderators General, Prelates

User avatar
gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett
Posts: 26767
Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2007 6:02 pm UTC
Location: Here and There
Contact:

Re: Police misbehavior thread

Postby gmalivuk » Fri May 01, 2015 2:27 am UTC

KnightExemplar wrote:In any case, CNN has the timeline: http://www.cnn.com/2015/04/20/us/freddi ... index.html

So it looks like Gray was injured sometime between 9:00 and 9:25am. Which means if a "rough ride" did in fact take place, the other prisoner would be a witness to it. If the case goes forward, the prosecution will definitely get to the witness, and probably have a testimony ready.
Video before he was even put in the van shows Freddie Gray in obvious pain and apparently unable to work his legs properly. Any account, especially from the police themselves, that claims he sustained all his injuries in the van, looks pretty bullshit in light of that.

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2015/04/3 ... eddie-Gray
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

User avatar
gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett
Posts: 26767
Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2007 6:02 pm UTC
Location: Here and There
Contact:

Re: Police misbehavior thread

Postby gmalivuk » Fri May 01, 2015 7:31 am UTC

http://baltimore.cbslocal.com/2015/04/3 ... s-silence/

He tells WJZ he’s angry about an internal police report published in The Washington Post.
“And they trying to make it seem like I told them that, I made it like Freddie Gray did that to hisself (sic),” Allen said. “Why the [expletive] would he do that to hisself (sic)?”
Allen was in the van because he allegedly stole a cigarette from a store on North Avenue.
He was never charged. Instead he was brought straight to the station.
“I talked to homicide. I told homicide the same story.” Allen said.
A story he says is being distorted and now he fears being killed.
“I had two options today right, either come and talk to y’all and get my credibility straight with ya’ll and not get killed by these [expletive] or not tell a true story,” Allen added. “The only reason I’m doing this is because they put my name in a bad state.”
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

Chen
Posts: 5577
Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2008 6:53 pm UTC
Location: Montreal

Re: Police misbehavior thread

Postby Chen » Fri May 01, 2015 11:50 am UTC

From that same article we have:

“All I did was go straight to the station, but I heard a little banging like he was banging his head,” he said.


So it would seem the officers used that statement to bring up the whole "injuring himself" line from the report.

morriswalters
Posts: 7073
Joined: Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:21 am UTC

Re: Police misbehavior thread

Postby morriswalters » Fri May 01, 2015 12:29 pm UTC

Currently everybody is positioning the pieces on the board, manipulating the situation to take and hold the positions that they want to defend. The police have the advantage currently because they have all the facts such as they are. The smart money might be that they are going to put it on the guys in the van. The video of the police placing him in the van is ambiguous. And it doesn't show the actual take down. But he's moving and talking at that point. You can construe what is going on through a lot of filters. However at the station he has a broken neck.

Chen
Posts: 5577
Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2008 6:53 pm UTC
Location: Montreal

Re: Police misbehavior thread

Postby Chen » Fri May 01, 2015 1:03 pm UTC

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-32546201

Seems to say the injury to his neck was caused in the van. The "extra" stop seems to have occurred between the first and second stops, according to the articles I've read. They said the first one was to put leg irons on him and the second one was to "deal with Mr. Gray" (talk about vague). I have to assume the extra stop didn't catch anything particular ON camera, else I imagine we'd be hearing about it. I'm trying to see what reason you'd have to not mention this stop though. Another stop to "check up on the prisoner" doesn't seem like it would be abnormal, so why fail to mention it? I mean lying about what you did during the stop seems far easier than lying about the entire stop in and of itself.

KnightExemplar
Posts: 5494
Joined: Sun Dec 26, 2010 1:58 pm UTC

Re: Police misbehavior thread

Postby KnightExemplar » Fri May 01, 2015 1:10 pm UTC

gmalivuk wrote:
KnightExemplar wrote:In any case, CNN has the timeline: http://www.cnn.com/2015/04/20/us/freddi ... index.html

So it looks like Gray was injured sometime between 9:00 and 9:25am. Which means if a "rough ride" did in fact take place, the other prisoner would be a witness to it. If the case goes forward, the prosecution will definitely get to the witness, and probably have a testimony ready.
Video before he was even put in the van shows Freddie Gray in obvious pain and apparently unable to work his legs properly. Any account, especially from the police themselves, that claims he sustained all his injuries in the van, looks pretty bullshit in light of that.

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2015/04/3 ... eddie-Gray


However...

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/rel ... ng_strip_1

One wound occurred when Gray struck his head on a bolt that jutted out in the van, the official said, but that was not Gray’s only head injury. And the injuries overall are consistent with what medical examiners often see in car collisions, the official said.


The autopsy makes it clear that the injuries were similar to people who die in car accidents. With bruises matching up with the shapes of bolts and stuff that are inside of the van.

morriswalters wrote:Currently everybody is positioning the pieces on the board, manipulating the situation to take and hold the positions that they want to defend. The police have the advantage currently because they have all the facts such as they are. The smart money might be that they are going to put it on the guys in the van. The video of the police placing him in the van is ambiguous. And it doesn't show the actual take down. But he's moving and talking at that point. You can construe what is going on through a lot of filters. However at the station he has a broken neck.


Of course the "Police" have the advantage. But the Police Commissioner is Anthony Batts, an African American dude. I think I read a story that he was tough on Police Brutality / Misconduct issues, lemme find it... EDIT: Here it is.

http://baltimore.cbslocal.com/2014/10/0 ... epartment/
In 2012, only 57 percent of officers who had a disciplinary hearing for misconduct were found guilty. So far this year 89 percent facing these hearings have been convicted.


Anthony Batts also increased funding + staffing to the Internal Affairs office. And was standing with the Mayor when they want to change a few laws in Maryland to make it easier for him to fire officers.

Ms. Mosby, the prosecutor, is also running an independent investigation.

"While we have and will continue to leverage the information received by the department, we are not relying solely on their findings, but rather the facts that we have gathered and verified," Mosby said. "We ask for the public to remain patient and peaceful and to trust the process of the justice system."


Marilyn Mosby's husband is Nick Mosby, who is the representative of the Western district of Baltimore where the riots broke out. Ms. Mosby has made it clear that she isn't relying only on official Police documents for her case.
First Strike +1/+1 and Indestructible.

Tyndmyr
Posts: 11443
Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:38 pm UTC

Re: Police misbehavior thread

Postby Tyndmyr » Fri May 01, 2015 1:53 pm UTC

KnightExemplar wrote:
Referring to herself, Ms. Mosby, and the nation’s new attorney general, Loretta Lynch, the mayor said Thursday, “If, with the nation watching, three black women at three different levels can’t get justice and healing for this community, you tell me where we’re going to get it in our country.”


Ms. Rawlings-Blake: Baltimore City Mayor (African American Woman)
Ms. Mosby: Baltimore City Prosecutor (African American Woman)
Loretta Lynch: United States Attorney General (African American Woman. Just sworn in, replacing Eric Holder. Leader of DoJ, FBI, ATF, DEA, US Marshals, etc. etc.)

Anthony Batts: Baltimore City Police Commissioner (African American, Male)

There are a surprising number of black women in very powerful positions in this case. I don't think there's a single white-dude in the entire leadership. Closest you got is Anthony Batts, who's an African American dude. Or the FoP leader (Gene Ryan) is the only white-guy who seems to be involved. And only as the FoP's leader, he really doesn't have any power in the situation outside of maybe helping the six officers involved get defense attorneys.

This case is in strong-contrast to Ferguson, which was more or less a white-wash leadership outside of the mayor and then Attorney General Eric Holder.


Closest you have is the new governor of MD, I think. And that's pretty far removed. Baltimore/DC don't really have the same issues with representation found elsewhere. It's a decent demonstration that proportional representation is not sufficient to fix police brutality, I think.

It's probably better for fixing it, though. Or at least, for public faith that it will be fixed, which is still a bit lacking, I think.

KnightExemplar
Posts: 5494
Joined: Sun Dec 26, 2010 1:58 pm UTC

Re: Police misbehavior thread

Postby KnightExemplar » Fri May 01, 2015 2:32 pm UTC

Tyndmyr wrote:It's probably better for fixing it, though. Or at least, for public faith that it will be fixed, which is still a bit lacking, I think.


I think fixing is what we can expect. http://thedailyrecord.com/2015/02/06/ra ... penalties/

Rawlings-Blake said improvements are already being made. Courtesy complaints and lawsuits against the police department are down, while trial board convictions for officers have increased. The mayor said a body camera program for officers is set to be announced soon.

Del. Curtis Anderson, D-Baltimore, introduced legislation this week that broadens the scope of disciplinary action for officers and elevates “misconduct in office” to a felony.


These are the things that were going on earlier this year in Baltimore. They needed to lobby Annapolis to reclassify "misconduct in office" charge to a felony. It seems like this particular law is a Maryland law... not a Baltimore one. The reasoning behind this change, is that if they can get it classified as a felony, then Anthony Batts can fire those officers on the spot.
First Strike +1/+1 and Indestructible.

KnightExemplar
Posts: 5494
Joined: Sun Dec 26, 2010 1:58 pm UTC

Re: Police misbehavior thread

Postby KnightExemplar » Fri May 01, 2015 3:36 pm UTC

Ouch.

Marilyn Mosby, bringing down the hammer. All six officers charged with various felonies. One officer is charged with second-degree depraved heart murder, assault, manslaughter, and unlawful arrest. Marilyn Mosby has publicly noted that the "switchblade" that Freddie Gray was holding in the police report was in fact not a switchblade, but a legal weapon for him to carry. Therefore, the arrest had no probable cause.

She sounded pretty pissed also. But that's just my interpretation.

News outlets are reporting on the charges, but I'm gonna wait for it to appear on the Baltimore Prosecutor's website (which seems a bit slow to update). Primary sources are the most reliable, after all.
First Strike +1/+1 and Indestructible.

User avatar
Mighty Jalapeno
Inne Juste 7 Dayes I Wille Make You A Hero!
Posts: 11265
Joined: Mon May 07, 2007 9:16 pm UTC
Location: Prince George In A Can
Contact:

Re: Police misbehavior thread

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Fri May 01, 2015 4:05 pm UTC

Browsing the Mosby trending tweets...

White guys saying "THIS is why people need to take more care with local elections! SEE WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU DON'T VOTE?!"

Women of all shade commenting about how terrible her hair and/or outfit is.

White women saying "she just wants to be in the history books".

White guys saying "great, now the thugs think they got one of them in power".

Black women mocking her for being a traitor... to something? I'm not entirely sure.

And, every now and then, a "Yay!" post.

User avatar
Paul in Saudi
Posts: 262
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:52 pm UTC
Location: Dammam, Saudi Arabia

Re: Police misbehavior thread

Postby Paul in Saudi » Fri May 01, 2015 4:10 pm UTC

I find it hard to be objective about this. This latest news makes me very happy.

I wonder when someone will set up a website will be set up to raise money for their defense.

morriswalters
Posts: 7073
Joined: Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:21 am UTC

Re: Police misbehavior thread

Postby morriswalters » Fri May 01, 2015 4:19 pm UTC

Good step one. Now for a trial.

KnightExemplar
Posts: 5494
Joined: Sun Dec 26, 2010 1:58 pm UTC

Re: Police misbehavior thread

Postby KnightExemplar » Fri May 01, 2015 4:21 pm UTC

Mighty Jalapeno wrote:Black women mocking her for being a traitor... to something? I'm not entirely sure.


Most of the African Americans I know had the opinion that she was taking too long. They wanted the six officers behind bars weeks ago.

morriswalters wrote:Good step one. Now for a trial.


Isn't it a grand jury proceeding first? That's where the other cases got held up.
First Strike +1/+1 and Indestructible.

Chen
Posts: 5577
Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2008 6:53 pm UTC
Location: Montreal

Re: Police misbehavior thread

Postby Chen » Fri May 01, 2015 4:34 pm UTC

I guess the driver being charged more severely indicates that there is some evidence the prosecutor has that there was a "rough ride" given. Else I can't really see why the driver would be any more responsible than his partner who presumably was just sitting in the passenger seat.

Edit: actually the NY Times seems to imply there was no other officer in the van during transport and the other officers arrived at the various stops. So I guess it still makes sense the driver bears the brunt of the responsibility.

morriswalters
Posts: 7073
Joined: Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:21 am UTC

Re: Police misbehavior thread

Postby morriswalters » Fri May 01, 2015 4:50 pm UTC

KnightExemplar wrote:Isn't it a grand jury proceeding first? That's where the other cases got held up.
She doesn't have to use a grand jury, assuming that I understand the law correctly.

KnightExemplar
Posts: 5494
Joined: Sun Dec 26, 2010 1:58 pm UTC

Re: Police misbehavior thread

Postby KnightExemplar » Fri May 01, 2015 4:56 pm UTC

morriswalters wrote:
KnightExemplar wrote:Isn't it a grand jury proceeding first? That's where the other cases got held up.
She doesn't have to use a grand jury, assuming that I understand the law correctly.


My understanding is: Grand Jury or presenting her case before a judge.

So she may present her case before a judge for probable cause... instead of going through a grand jury proceeding. Either way, the "judgement" to press charges is out of her hands.

EDIT: Here's the flow in Maryland, from the State Attorney: http://www.stattorney.org/images/crimin ... e-flow.png. Looks like a Grand Jury in Circuit court, OR preliminary hearing in District Court comes up next.
First Strike +1/+1 and Indestructible.

Tyndmyr
Posts: 11443
Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:38 pm UTC

Re: Police misbehavior thread

Postby Tyndmyr » Fri May 01, 2015 5:05 pm UTC

KnightExemplar wrote:Ouch.

Marilyn Mosby, bringing down the hammer. All six officers charged with various felonies. One officer is charged with second-degree depraved heart murder, assault, manslaughter, and unlawful arrest. Marilyn Mosby has publicly noted that the "switchblade" that Freddie Gray was holding in the police report was in fact not a switchblade, but a legal weapon for him to carry. Therefore, the arrest had no probable cause.

She sounded pretty pissed also. But that's just my interpretation.

News outlets are reporting on the charges, but I'm gonna wait for it to appear on the Baltimore Prosecutor's website (which seems a bit slow to update). Primary sources are the most reliable, after all.


This seems legit. The fact that he got arrested for a BS charge just makes it more tragic. I mean, even if legit, that was a pretty weak charge, but given that it wasn't....I can't see how anyone is upset by this. They seem like obvious charges, given the known facts.

User avatar
Paul in Saudi
Posts: 262
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:52 pm UTC
Location: Dammam, Saudi Arabia

Re: Police misbehavior thread

Postby Paul in Saudi » Fri May 01, 2015 5:09 pm UTC

As a serious question, how can this be anything but one of the lower orders of manslaughter?

1. If the police officer had given several other people rough rides, this would establish he did not intend to kill Grey.

2. If the officer says he never before gave anyone else a rough ride he will maintain he had no idea such treatment could cause death.

It seems clear this is not a murder, it was a reckless disregard for human life.

User avatar
Izawwlgood
WINNING
Posts: 18686
Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2007 3:55 pm UTC
Location: There may be lovelier lovelies...

Re: Police misbehavior thread

Postby Izawwlgood » Fri May 01, 2015 5:23 pm UTC

Paul in Saudi wrote:It seems clear this is not a murder, it was a reckless disregard for human life.
Which seems like a very serious problem for a police officer.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

User avatar
TheGrammarBolshevik
Posts: 4878
Joined: Mon Jun 30, 2008 2:12 am UTC
Location: Going to and fro in the earth, and walking up and down in it.

Re: Police misbehavior thread

Postby TheGrammarBolshevik » Fri May 01, 2015 5:28 pm UTC

Reckless disregard for human life is, in most states (including Maryland), a sufficient mens rea for murder.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/cri ... story.html
Nothing rhymes with orange,
Not even sporange.

KnightExemplar
Posts: 5494
Joined: Sun Dec 26, 2010 1:58 pm UTC

Re: Police misbehavior thread

Postby KnightExemplar » Fri May 01, 2015 5:40 pm UTC

TheGrammarBolshevik wrote:Reckless disregard for human life is, in most states (including Maryland), a sufficient mens rea for murder.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/cri ... story.html


The details of "murder" differ from state to state. It seems like Maryland's definition, reckless disregard is sufficient for (2nd degree) murder.

It seems like Maryland's levels of murder are as follows:

* Murder, first degree: Premeditated
* Murder, 2nd degree: Reckless Disregard. It appears "malice" is needed here.
* Voluntary Manslaughter: Reckless Disregard without malice. "Heat of Passion"
* Involuntary Manslaughter: Negligent Disregard.

I'm not a lawyer, but a few quick google searches seemed to come up with these.
Last edited by KnightExemplar on Fri May 01, 2015 5:42 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
First Strike +1/+1 and Indestructible.

Alexius
Posts: 342
Joined: Mon Nov 03, 2008 4:45 pm UTC

Re: Police misbehavior thread

Postby Alexius » Fri May 01, 2015 5:42 pm UTC

Paul in Saudi wrote:As a serious question, how can this be anything but one of the lower orders of manslaughter?

1. If the police officer had given several other people rough rides, this would establish he did not intend to kill Grey.

2. If the officer says he never before gave anyone else a rough ride he will maintain he had no idea such treatment could cause death.

It seems clear this is not a murder, it was a reckless disregard for human life.

The driver has also been charged with involuntary manslaughter and two levels of manslaughter by vehicle if the depraved heart murder charge doesn't stick.

Plus, all 6 officers were charged with misconduct in office. Under Maryland law, the maximum sentence for this crime is listed simply as "8th Amendment".

Chen
Posts: 5577
Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2008 6:53 pm UTC
Location: Montreal

Re: Police misbehavior thread

Postby Chen » Fri May 01, 2015 5:59 pm UTC

If malice is required for the second degree murder charge I feel they're going to have a very hard time getting that one to stick, barring some exceptional evidence we haven't heard. I would like to know which of the officers did what to deserve the various charges. It seems some got manslaughter charges, but others did not. It seems possible the ones that didn't were the initial arresting officers, but I'm curious at which point the others came in and what they did to draw the manslaughter charges, but not enough to draw the full on depraved heart murder charge.

User avatar
gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett
Posts: 26767
Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2007 6:02 pm UTC
Location: Here and There
Contact:

Re: Police misbehavior thread

Postby gmalivuk » Fri May 01, 2015 5:59 pm UTC

Tyndmyr wrote:
KnightExemplar wrote:Ouch.

Marilyn Mosby, bringing down the hammer. All six officers charged with various felonies. One officer is charged with second-degree depraved heart murder, assault, manslaughter, and unlawful arrest. Marilyn Mosby has publicly noted that the "switchblade" that Freddie Gray was holding in the police report was in fact not a switchblade, but a legal weapon for him to carry. Therefore, the arrest had no probable cause.

She sounded pretty pissed also. But that's just my interpretation.

News outlets are reporting on the charges, but I'm gonna wait for it to appear on the Baltimore Prosecutor's website (which seems a bit slow to update). Primary sources are the most reliable, after all.


This seems legit. The fact that he got arrested for a BS charge just makes it more tragic. I mean, even if legit, that was a pretty weak charge, but given that it wasn't....I can't see how anyone is upset by this. They seem like obvious charges, given the known facts.

I think some folks still believe the propaganda that the spinal injury was from a completely unrelated prior incident. It's been debunked pretty much everywhere including Snopes, but obviously if you're as blindly racist as some of these people are, you're not about to check around for evidence that you're wrong about this.
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

KnightExemplar
Posts: 5494
Joined: Sun Dec 26, 2010 1:58 pm UTC

Re: Police misbehavior thread

Postby KnightExemplar » Fri May 01, 2015 8:09 pm UTC

http://www.stattorney.org/media-center/ ... ray-arrest


The charges with the respective maximum penalties are as follows:

Officer Caesar R. Goodson, Jr.

Second degree depraved heart murder (30 yrs.)
Manslaughter (involuntary) (10 yrs.)
Assault/second degree (10 yrs.)
Manslaughter by vehicle (gross negligence) (10 yrs.)
Manslaughter by vehicle (criminal negligence) (3 yrs.)
Misconduct in office (8th Amendment*)

Officer William G. Porter

Manslaughter (involuntary) (10 yrs.)
Assault/second degree (10 yrs.)
Misconduct in office (8th Amendment*)

Lt. Brian W. Rice

Manslaughter (involuntary) (10 yrs.)
Assault/second degree (10 yrs.)
Assault/second degree (10 yrs.)
Misconduct in office (8th Amendment*)
Misconduct in office (8th Amendment*)
False imprisonment (8th Amendment*)

Officer Edward M. Nero

Assault/second degree (10 yrs.)
Assault/second degree (10 yrs.)
Misconduct in office (8th Amendment*)
Misconduct in office (8th Amendment*)
False imprisonment (8th Amendment*)

Officer Garrett E. Miller

Assault/second degree (10 yrs.)
Assault/second degree (10 yrs.)
Misconduct in office (8th Amendment*)
Misconduct in office (8th Amendment*)
False imprisonment (8th Amendment*)

Sgt. Alicia D. White

Manslaughter (involuntary) (10 yrs.)
Assault/second degree (10 yrs.)
Misconduct in office (8th Amendment*)
First Strike +1/+1 and Indestructible.

User avatar
CorruptUser
Posts: 10498
Joined: Fri Nov 06, 2009 10:12 pm UTC

Re: Police misbehavior thread

Postby CorruptUser » Fri May 01, 2015 8:52 pm UTC

I wonder, what are the odds the officers would've been charged had there not been any riots or threat of riots?

KnightExemplar
Posts: 5494
Joined: Sun Dec 26, 2010 1:58 pm UTC

Re: Police misbehavior thread

Postby KnightExemplar » Fri May 01, 2015 8:54 pm UTC

CorruptUser wrote:I wonder, what are the odds the officers would've been charged had there not been any riots or threat of riots?


Honestly, I don't think the Baltimore riots had any effect on this matter. Ferguson... arguably... since the Prosecutor Mosby was elected after the Ferguson riots. But I think that's a stretch.

Anthony Batts and Marilyn Mosby were going to go hard on these guys whether or not riots happened.

EDIT: Case in point: Marilyn Mosby's investigation included checking the private close-circuit cameras spread across the city and checked for additional, unreported stops. She found a "4th stop" that the six officers failed to report. She was going all in on this investigation long before the riots began.
First Strike +1/+1 and Indestructible.

Chen
Posts: 5577
Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2008 6:53 pm UTC
Location: Montreal

Re: Police misbehavior thread

Postby Chen » Sat May 02, 2015 3:35 am UTC

An interesting article regarding each officer's actions and their charges:
http://www.cnn.com/2015/05/01/us/freddi ... index.html

The only one that seems odd to me is why the second officer (Rice) was charged with manslaughter when the other two bike patrol cops were not. He is higher rank, so perhaps he was the one "in charge"? Not sure why that would warrant the extra manslaughter charge against him though.

morriswalters
Posts: 7073
Joined: Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:21 am UTC

Re: Police misbehavior thread

Postby morriswalters » Sat May 02, 2015 2:58 pm UTC

CorruptUser wrote:I wonder, what are the odds the officers would've been charged had there not been any riots or threat of riots?
Does it matter? Sometimes it takes riots to shake things up and show the anger that has always been there. It's just sad that communities have to burn to get some things the attention they need.

User avatar
ivnja
The spirit of things can bugger right off.
Posts: 825
Joined: Mon Dec 04, 2006 5:30 am UTC
Location: 19T526268 4971339 (NAD 83)

Re: Police misbehavior thread

Postby ivnja » Sat May 02, 2015 4:52 pm UTC

morriswalters wrote:
CorruptUser wrote:I wonder, what are the odds the officers would've been charged had there not been any riots or threat of riots?
Does it matter? Sometimes it takes riots to shake things up and show the anger that has always been there. It's just sad that communities have to burn to get some things the attention they need.

But isn't this kind of begging the question? It doesn't matter whether the community would have gotten what they wanted (attention to police brutality via charges being leveled against the officers) without rioting because sometimes communities just need to riot to get what they want?
Hi you.
she/her

User avatar
gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett
Posts: 26767
Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2007 6:02 pm UTC
Location: Here and There
Contact:

Re: Police misbehavior thread

Postby gmalivuk » Sat May 02, 2015 5:11 pm UTC

morriswalters wrote:
CorruptUser wrote:I wonder, what are the odds the officers would've been charged had there not been any riots or threat of riots?
Does it matter? Sometimes it takes riots to shake things up and show the anger that has always been there. It's just sad that communities have to burn to get some things the attention they need.
Yeah, that is exactly why it matters.

The media wouldn't have much cared about Baltimore without the riots, and it's entirely possible that the charges also wouldn't have happened without the riots.

Which is massively fucked up, that a city needs to riot for the rest of the country to give a fuck.
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

morriswalters
Posts: 7073
Joined: Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:21 am UTC

Re: Police misbehavior thread

Postby morriswalters » Sat May 02, 2015 6:35 pm UTC

ivnja wrote:But isn't this kind of begging the question? It doesn't matter whether the community would have gotten what they wanted (attention to police brutality via charges being leveled against the officers) without rioting because sometimes communities just need to riot to get what they want?
The riot didn't represent the community getting what it wanted. The rioting reflected anger in the community. Getting the charges that the crowd wanted doesn't really change anything. It satisfies this one instance. Seeing the underlying rage tends to force everyone to look at how much anger is possible when you keep your boot on someones neck. And not just in Baltimore. You need to get people to see that anger, so that they will do something to really change the underlying problem.

gmalivuk wrote:Which is massively fucked up, that a city needs to riot for the rest of the country to give a fuck.
Yes it is, but in the end if it accomplishes something then it will have been worth what the people in Baltimore paid.

User avatar
gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett
Posts: 26767
Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2007 6:02 pm UTC
Location: Here and There
Contact:

Re: Police misbehavior thread

Postby gmalivuk » Sat May 02, 2015 7:08 pm UTC

I'm still not clear who you think you're arguing with here...
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

morriswalters
Posts: 7073
Joined: Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:21 am UTC

Re: Police misbehavior thread

Postby morriswalters » Sat May 02, 2015 7:34 pm UTC

gmalivuk wrote:I'm still not clear who you think you're arguing with here...
I know this is hard to believe, but I was agreeing with you.

User avatar
gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett
Posts: 26767
Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2007 6:02 pm UTC
Location: Here and There
Contact:

Re: Police misbehavior thread

Postby gmalivuk » Sat May 02, 2015 7:46 pm UTC

I know what point you're making, I'm confused by the fact that you seem to be making it in a contrarian way in your responses to me, ivnja, and CorruptUser.
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

morriswalters
Posts: 7073
Joined: Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:21 am UTC

Re: Police misbehavior thread

Postby morriswalters » Sat May 02, 2015 8:32 pm UTC

Perhaps it is just a matter of style rather than being contrarian. CorruptUser asked
what are the odds the officers would've been charged had there not been any riots or threat of riots?
I could have pointed out that the question is pointless, since it's unaswerable. The riots happened. But I didn't. My direct response was, Does it matter? Instead I pointed out that the riot occurred, and in my opinion, it occurred because people are angry because they have grown tired of having to ask that question. Will they be charged?

User avatar
12obin
Posts: 91
Joined: Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:15 am UTC

Re: Police misbehavior thread

Postby 12obin » Sun May 03, 2015 2:26 am UTC

Robin, she.

User avatar
natraj
Posts: 1895
Joined: Wed Oct 17, 2007 10:13 pm UTC
Location: away from Omelas

Re: Police misbehavior thread

Postby natraj » Sun May 03, 2015 5:57 am UTC

watched the cops beat the crap out of some guy today once curfew hit who was just quietly standing around. they could have just arrested him, he was not resisting -- i mean, he didn't even have a chance to be resisting, they didn't even attempt to arrest him and THEN hit him, they just started beating on him immediately and then kept beating on him when he was on the ground. he got taken off in a stretcher. he had been doing nothing prior to the beating starting, save for breaking curfew (but quietly, standing calmly and they gave no warning they were about to start beating him.)

then they started beating and pepper spraying many other people.

i was helping de-mace people's eyes and escort them off the streets so they could leave; we were all headed out when the cops followed after us like, "you need to get out of here, it's after curfew, you need to leave"; we were all leaving as fast as we could given that i had two people on my arms who could not currently see due to eyes full of mace. then the cop walked up and maced me straight in the face and then left. it was pretty spiteful, given we were already leaving and he wasn't arresting us and it certainly wasn't helping us leave any faster.

there were also medics at the jail providing medical care/jail support to people being released from jail; they were all arrested, as were a number of other medics.

meanwhile, though, a group of black leaders put out a call for white people to stage their own curfew-breaking protest.

any guesses on how many of them got beaten and pepper sprayed?

spoiler alert: it was none.

the cops politely requested several times that they leave, gave them a number of warnings that it was after curfew, said come on we really don't want to have to arrest you guys, and then offered them rides home.
You want to know the future, love? Then wait:
I'll answer your impatient questions. Still --
They'll call it chance, or luck, or call it Fate,
The cards and stars that tumble as they will.

pronouns: they or he

morriswalters
Posts: 7073
Joined: Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:21 am UTC

Re: Police misbehavior thread

Postby morriswalters » Sun May 03, 2015 4:33 pm UTC

natraj wrote:meanwhile, though, a group of black leaders put out a call for white people to stage their own curfew-breaking protest.

any guesses on how many of them got beaten and pepper sprayed?

spoiler alert: it was none.

the cops politely requested several times that they leave, gave them a number of warnings that it was after curfew, said come on we really don't want to have to arrest you guys, and then offered them rides home.
Could you clarify this? Who got better treatment? The black leaders, the white protestors?

User avatar
Diemo
Posts: 396
Joined: Mon Dec 03, 2007 8:43 pm UTC

Re: Police misbehavior thread

Postby Diemo » Sun May 03, 2015 4:43 pm UTC

The white protesters
In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
--Douglas Adams


Return to “News & Articles”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 16 guests