Shooting at Christian organization in DC

Seen something interesting in the news or on the intertubes? Discuss it here.

Moderators: Zamfir, Hawknc, Moderators General, Prelates

Steroid
Posts: 549
Joined: Wed Mar 26, 2008 10:50 am UTC

Shooting at Christian organization in DC

Postby Steroid » Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:53 am UTC

Man Opens Fire at Family Research Council

The real interesting part of this, to me, is the media coverage. CNN doesn't have it up on their front page at all. NBCnews has it as the last item, right below a story about the orbits of Mars and Venus. CBS news does have it, but you have to page down. It is their most popular story, though, so you can see why they'd drop it below the digital fold. :roll:

When conservatives talk about left-wing media bias, this is what they mean. It's not the active promotion of left-wing causes, it's the way they treat the news. Every opportunity, when a tragedy has arisen, has been taken to try to connect the Tea Party to the cause of violence, from the theater shooting in Aurora to that census worker who killed himself to make it look like a homicide to the Gabrielle Giffords shooting. None of which were actual right-on-left violence. Now, a volunteer at an LBGT organization goes into a Christian organization and starts shooting, and the press yawns. Why is no one going on TV and saying, "If only 'thou shalt not kill' were drilled into him a little more, this might not have happened. Oh, those morally bankrupt lefties!"?

Let's compare:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/crime-scene/post/morning-shooting-in-northwest-dc/2012/08/15/845fe926-e6ec-11e1-8f62-58260e3940a0_blog.html?hpid=z1
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2011/01/08/AR2011010802422_2.html?sid=ST2011010802810

The article on the Giffords shooting spends two paragraphs trying to connect right-wing rhetoric to the shooting. The article on the FRC shooting spends a paragraph on explaining what the FRC does and the policies they support. That's a left-wing perspective on things.

Of course, maybe the problem is that no one got killed here, because the guard did his job (was he armed? the articles don't say). The lesson for conservatives is clearly to let the left-wingers take out a few of you, and you might get coverage. Nah, it'll probably be more like, "N People Shot and Killed; More Tax Money Needed for Post-Shooting Health Care."

User avatar
yurell
Posts: 2924
Joined: Sat Nov 13, 2010 2:19 am UTC
Location: Australia!

Re: Shooting at Christian organization in DC

Postby yurell » Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:57 pm UTC

Steroid wrote:Of course, maybe the problem is that no one got killed here


It's never a problem that no one got killed, but it is a better reason for it to not be front-page news than 'rawr liberal conspiracy'.
cemper93 wrote:Dude, I just presented an elaborate multiple fraction in Comic Sans. Who are you to question me?


Pronouns: Feminine pronouns please!

Heisenberg
Posts: 3789
Joined: Wed May 14, 2008 8:48 pm UTC
Location: Uncertain

Re: Shooting at Christian organization in DC

Postby Heisenberg » Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:17 pm UTC

Two law enforcement officials said Corkins was carrying sandwiches from Chick-fil-A

KnightExemplar
Posts: 5494
Joined: Sun Dec 26, 2010 1:58 pm UTC

Re: Shooting at Christian organization in DC

Postby KnightExemplar » Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:18 pm UTC

As much as I loathe to say it... shootings in DC are not news. Especiall if no one died.

http://www.statemaster.com/graph/cri_mu ... r-100-000/

DC has the highest firearms death rate per capita in the country. Granted, the above chart compares a City with states (which have rural and suburban areas to lower the gun violence rate)... but either way, the concentration of gun violence in DC is among the worst in the country.

EDIT: Nonetheless, the Washington Post got your article right here: http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/cri ... story.html
The Family Research Council, a conservative lobbying group, deals in issues of faith, family and freedom, its Web site says. The organization opposes abortion and euthanasia, among other practices, and says it considers homosexuality to be a sin.

Social-issues groups on the left and right of the political spectrum and both presidential candidates weighed in on the shooting in e-mails and public statements.

Gary Bauer, a former president of the Family Research Council and now head of American Values, cited “a disturbing level of intolerance and hate aimed at those who share traditional values.”


Seems fair to me.
First Strike +1/+1 and Indestructible.

User avatar
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
As the Arbiter of Everything, Everything Sucks
Posts: 8314
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2007 6:17 pm UTC
Location: I FUCKING MOVED TO THE WOODS

Re: Shooting at Christian organization in DC

Postby (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ » Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:25 pm UTC

Wasn't it an ABC or Faux news guy who tried to connect the aurora shootings to the Tea Party? Which youknow makes me look at that and say 'stupid' more than 'lefty' and well, i watch one hour of news a day and saw this story. On MSNBC. Reported with no frills. 'This happened, we don't know why, we'll keep you updated.'
Maybe they've i dunno learned from the mistakes of other talking heads and decided to report only what they knew- which actually happens more on MSNBC than most news channels- instead of making random shit up.
Hell, i'm pretty sure the FRC was mostly referred to as something other than a Hate Group, too, even though that's what it is. (I guess it's good enough if they just call it a Christian Organization, right? Same thing.)
But mostly they were bowing to the Gay Agenda i'm sure.

edit derpity derpity tablet keyboard
Heyyy baby wanna kill all humans?

User avatar
omgryebread
Posts: 1393
Joined: Wed Dec 15, 2010 3:03 am UTC

Re: Shooting at Christian organization in DC

Postby omgryebread » Thu Aug 16, 2012 2:27 pm UTC

Here's a link to a joint statement by many LGBT organizations condemning the shooting at the FRC: http://www.glaad.org/blog/lgbt-organizations-release-joint-statement-regarding-shooting-family-research-council-frc


Here's a link to the FRC's condemnation of the torture/murder of Matthew Shepard for being gay: [url][/url]
avatar from Nononono by Lynn Okamoto.

Princess Marzipan
Posts: 7717
Joined: Sun May 27, 2007 5:28 am UTC
Location: neither a road, nor an island

Re: Shooting at Christian organization in DC

Postby Princess Marzipan » Thu Aug 16, 2012 2:36 pm UTC

No John, you are the demons guy running around politicizing shootings.
"It's Saturday night. I've got no date, a two-liter of Shasta, and my all-Rush mixtape. Let's rock!"
"I am just about to be brilliant!"
General_Norris, on feminism, wrote:If you lose your six Pokémon, you lost.

User avatar
K-R
Posts: 1564
Joined: Thu Mar 15, 2012 6:42 pm UTC
Location: Australia

Re: Shooting at Christian organization in DC

Postby K-R » Thu Aug 16, 2012 2:54 pm UTC

Gary Bauer, a former president of the Family Research Council and now head of American Values, cited “a disturbing level of intolerance and hate aimed at those who share traditional values.”

That has to be the funniest thing I've heard all day.

Роберт
Posts: 4285
Joined: Wed May 14, 2008 1:56 am UTC

Re: Shooting at Christian organization in DC

Postby Роберт » Thu Aug 16, 2012 2:58 pm UTC

omgryebread wrote:Here's a link to a joint statement by many LGBT organizations condemning the shooting at the FRC: http://www.glaad.org/blog/lgbt-organizations-release-joint-statement-regarding-shooting-family-research-council-frc


Here's a link to the FRC's condemnation of the torture/murder of Matthew Shepard for being gay: http://www.frcblog.com/2009/05/matthew-shepards-brutal-murder-no-hoax-but-no-hate-crime/

“Mr. Shepard’s death was nothing less than a tragedy, and those responsible for his death certainly deserved the punishment they received.”
...
Shepard’s killers, Aaron McKinney and Russell Henderson, from being sentenced to two consecutive life sentences, after being spared the death penalty only because Shepard’s parents interceded against it.

FRC said Matthew Shepard's killers deserved the death penalty. That's pretty good, right?
The Great Hippo wrote:[T]he way we treat suspected terrorists genuinely terrifies me.

User avatar
omgryebread
Posts: 1393
Joined: Wed Dec 15, 2010 3:03 am UTC

Re: Shooting at Christian organization in DC

Postby omgryebread » Thu Aug 16, 2012 3:06 pm UTC

Роберт wrote:
omgryebread wrote:Here's a link to a joint statement by many LGBT organizations condemning the shooting at the FRC: http://www.glaad.org/blog/lgbt-organizations-release-joint-statement-regarding-shooting-family-research-council-frc


Here's a link to the FRC's condemnation of the torture/murder of Matthew Shepard for being gay: http://www.frcblog.com/2009/05/matthew-shepards-brutal-murder-no-hoax-but-no-hate-crime/

“Mr. Shepard’s death was nothing less than a tragedy, and those responsible for his death certainly deserved the punishment they received.”
...
Shepard’s killers, Aaron McKinney and Russell Henderson, from being sentenced to two consecutive life sentences, after being spared the death penalty only because Shepard’s parents interceded against it.

FRC said Matthew Shepard's killers deserved the death penalty. That's pretty good, right?
No. You selectively edited that. The quote about deserving the punishment was the linked article quoting Rep. Virginia Foxx. It was not the FRC's statement.

In addition, the article certainly isn't a condemnation of his murder for being gay, it's a denial, based on an incredibly flawed news report, that the murder happened because he was gay.
avatar from Nononono by Lynn Okamoto.

yawningdog
Posts: 71
Joined: Fri Feb 25, 2011 7:00 pm UTC
Location: Glen Allen, Virginia

Re: Shooting at Christian organization in DC

Postby yawningdog » Thu Aug 16, 2012 3:11 pm UTC

As much as I loathe to say it... shootings in DC are not news. Especiall if no one died.


Not a fair comparison. Gang and drug related shootings may not be a newsworthy crime, but random violent crimes tend to get more coverage especially where there is more than one intended victim. The D.C. shooters got plenty of national coverage after only one victim.

Nonetheless, the Washington Post got your article right here


Of course the Post covered it, to them it was a local story. I'm pretty sure the OP was referring to national coverage.
"I fear not the man who has practiced ten thousand kicks once. But I fear the man who has practiced one kick ten thousand times."
- Bruce Lee

User avatar
firechicago
Posts: 621
Joined: Mon Jan 11, 2010 12:27 pm UTC
Location: One time, I put a snowglobe in the microwave and pushed "Hot Dog"

Re: Shooting at Christian organization in DC

Postby firechicago » Thu Aug 16, 2012 3:24 pm UTC

yawningdog wrote:Of course the Post covered it, to them it was a local story. I'm pretty sure the OP was referring to national coverage.


Because the story was completely ignored by national liberal outlets like CNN the The New York Times and NPR.

And even if they had covered it, none of those liberal outlets would have mentioned the shooter's volunteering at an LGBT community center or the fact that the shooting was being investigated as a hate crime.

User avatar
omgryebread
Posts: 1393
Joined: Wed Dec 15, 2010 3:03 am UTC

Re: Shooting at Christian organization in DC

Postby omgryebread » Thu Aug 16, 2012 3:29 pm UTC

yawningdog wrote:Of course the Post covered it, to them it was a local story. I'm pretty sure the OP was referring to national coverage.
Uh, the OP was the one who linked to the Post.
avatar from Nononono by Lynn Okamoto.

User avatar
sam_i_am
Posts: 624
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2012 3:38 pm UTC
Location: Urbana, Illinois, USA

Re: Shooting at Christian organization in DC

Postby sam_i_am » Thu Aug 16, 2012 3:34 pm UTC

There are thousands of murders every year

You'd be foolish to try to demonstrate any media bias by comparing who's covering one specific murder.

User avatar
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
As the Arbiter of Everything, Everything Sucks
Posts: 8314
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2007 6:17 pm UTC
Location: I FUCKING MOVED TO THE WOODS

Re: Shooting at Christian organization in DC

Postby (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ » Thu Aug 16, 2012 3:44 pm UTC

But if there weren't some kind of outcry each time there was the slightest gun violence against a white christian organization- even in a city where other gun violence is commonplace- then how would we know that they're the ones in charge?

Should this story get more, or less coverage than the Sikh temple shooting?

Now go tell me if it actually did.

I'm too busy right now to look it up.
Heyyy baby wanna kill all humans?

Steroid
Posts: 549
Joined: Wed Mar 26, 2008 10:50 am UTC

Re: Shooting at Christian organization in DC

Postby Steroid » Thu Aug 16, 2012 3:49 pm UTC

sam_i_am wrote:There are thousands of murders every year

You'd be foolish to try to demonstrate any media bias by comparing who's covering one specific murder.

Probably, but it's about spin and narrative. With due respect to all the victims, I'm less interested in the personal details than in the political effect. The high-profile shootings all have abortive attempts to link them to Tea Party values and people--even in cases like the Aurora shooting, where it was clearly apolitical, some news organization googled the name and came up with a Tea Partier. They retracted it later, but their instinct wasn't to look for some Occupier with the same name. Conversely, we have here a case where the shooting is clearly political, left-on-right violence, and all of a sudden everyone is interested only in pure fact. Because the narrative would have to be that socially liberal ideas engendered violent intentions, and social conservatism is being victimized. And that can't be allowed, lest people sympathize with the victims.

webzter_again
Posts: 119
Joined: Sun May 27, 2012 4:37 am UTC

Re: Shooting at Christian organization in DC

Postby webzter_again » Thu Aug 16, 2012 3:50 pm UTC

Steroid wrote:The real interesting part of this, to me, is the media coverage. CNN doesn't have it up on their front page at all.


Except for the fact that CNN has it on their front page: http://i.imgur.com/2Hhqm.png

I suspect it's a ratings game. Why would any national news outlet devote a lot of real estate to a developing story that may not spin into an opportunity for more coverage? Note the other top stories featured on that screen shot. Two police officers killed, photos of decimated area in Syria, Assange gets asylum, etc.

If there had been fatalities in the FRC shooting or if the assailant had at least gotten further than the door, then there would have been a lot more coverage.

webzter_again
Posts: 119
Joined: Sun May 27, 2012 4:37 am UTC

Re: Shooting at Christian organization in DC

Postby webzter_again » Thu Aug 16, 2012 3:55 pm UTC

Steroid wrote:Conversely, we have here a case where the shooting is clearly political, left-on-right violence, and all of a sudden everyone is interested only in pure fact. Because the narrative would have to be that socially liberal ideas engendered violent intentions, and social conservatism is being victimized. And that can't be allowed, lest people sympathize with the victims.


You mean squashing narrative like this?

http://www.cnn.com/2012/08/16/us/dc-sho ... ?hpt=hp_t2

"Everything points to the fact that this was politically motivated, and it's totally unacceptable," National Organization for Marriage President Brian Brown said in a Thursday appearance on CNN's "Early Start."

Brown called out the hate-tracking group Southern Poverty Law Center for listing the Family Research Council on its website, saying it was equating the group with violent extremist groups.

"The responsibility is on the shooter, but we need to have a civil debate over issues like redefining marriage," he said. "But we should not be attacking and labeling as hate groups those that we disagree. We should condemn violence of any sort, but we should also be responsible."

Heisenberg
Posts: 3789
Joined: Wed May 14, 2008 8:48 pm UTC
Location: Uncertain

Re: Shooting at Christian organization in DC

Postby Heisenberg » Thu Aug 16, 2012 4:00 pm UTC

firechicago wrote:Because the story was completely ignored by national liberal outlets like CNN the The New York Times and NPR.

It kinda was. Didn't even make the website front page. You wouldn't know about it unless someone sent you those links.

Obviously, this shouldn't have made headlines like Aurora, but I'd expect the coverage to be similar to the white power guy who shot up the Jewish museum a few years ago.

I would never have known about this story if it weren't for this thread.

User avatar
omgryebread
Posts: 1393
Joined: Wed Dec 15, 2010 3:03 am UTC

Re: Shooting at Christian organization in DC

Postby omgryebread » Thu Aug 16, 2012 4:07 pm UTC

Heisenberg wrote:Obviously, this shouldn't have made headlines like Aurora, but I'd expect the coverage to be similar to the white power guy who shot up the Jewish museum a few years ago.

I would never have known about this story if it weren't for this thread.
One was fatal, the other wasn't. That's kind of a big deal.
avatar from Nononono by Lynn Okamoto.

User avatar
sam_i_am
Posts: 624
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2012 3:38 pm UTC
Location: Urbana, Illinois, USA

Re: Shooting at Christian organization in DC

Postby sam_i_am » Thu Aug 16, 2012 4:07 pm UTC

Steroid wrote:
sam_i_am wrote:There are thousands of murders every year

You'd be foolish to try to demonstrate any media bias by comparing who's covering one specific murder.

Probably, but it's about spin and narrative. With due respect to all the victims, I'm less interested in the personal details than in the political effect. The high-profile shootings all have abortive attempts to link them to Tea Party values and people--even in cases like the Aurora shooting, where it was clearly apolitical, some news organization googled the name and came up with a Tea Partier. They retracted it later, but their instinct wasn't to look for some Occupier with the same name. Conversely, we have here a case where the shooting is clearly political, left-on-right violence, and all of a sudden everyone is interested only in pure fact. Because the narrative would have to be that socially liberal ideas engendered violent intentions, and social conservatism is being victimized. And that can't be allowed, lest people sympathize with the victims.



Some of the more fringe elements portray the Aurora shootings as a government conspiracy so that they can "take away your guns"


And yes, the media is biased. It always has been.

User avatar
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
As the Arbiter of Everything, Everything Sucks
Posts: 8314
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2007 6:17 pm UTC
Location: I FUCKING MOVED TO THE WOODS

Re: Shooting at Christian organization in DC

Postby (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ » Thu Aug 16, 2012 4:15 pm UTC

Steroid wrote:Conversely, we have here a case where the shooting is clearly political, left-on-right violence, and all of a sudden everyone is interested only in pure fact. Because the narrative would have to be that socially liberal ideas engendered violent intentions, and social conservatism is being victimized. And that can't be allowed, lest people sympathize with the victims.

I don't think you get to say that. This isn't necessarily a situation of left-on-right violence, it's a guy who decided he had a problem with the businesses in question, and he took the path that led him to (non-fatally) shoot a security guard.
When the guy flew his small plane into the IRS building, was that a clearly political act of violence? Yes, but which side was which? You've decided on the motives of this person, even while he is alive and in custody, and we may well learn exactly his motives in a short time. Perhaps that is why the news outlets, afraid of majorly screwing up as they have been doing so well lately, are being more cautious with their speculation.
And semantically, there were not victims. There was one victim. He didn't make it past the security guard.
Historically socially conservative ideas engender violent action, and not socially liberal ones, so maybe that's where the narrative comes from. Operation Rescue? The Tea Party? Burning of Korans and effigies of lynching the President and sideshow attractions like a bullet hole-riddled outhouse marked 'Obama Presidential Library?"
Totally not about violence at all, of course. I didn't even do that kind of seriously low shit when GWB was President. And I'm an extreme liberal asshole.

Reality has a liberal bias, that's just how it goes.
Heyyy baby wanna kill all humans?

User avatar
Izawwlgood
WINNING
Posts: 18686
Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2007 3:55 pm UTC
Location: There may be lovelier lovelies...

Re: Shooting at Christian organization in DC

Postby Izawwlgood » Thu Aug 16, 2012 4:20 pm UTC

Are you guys fucking kidding me? Steroid, this story is literally the TOP thing on Fox News, and there's a GIANT quote from the gunman saying "I DON"T LIKE YOUR POLITICS"

There isn't a liberal media conspiracy hiding this, it's just that liberal media is covering it rationally and reasonably, instead of sensationalizing the ever loving shit out of it like Fox News is doing. The EXACT same thing happens in reverse when some bigot shoots up an abortion clinic. Steroid, this is unbelievably childish of you.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

User avatar
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
As the Arbiter of Everything, Everything Sucks
Posts: 8314
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2007 6:17 pm UTC
Location: I FUCKING MOVED TO THE WOODS

Re: Shooting at Christian organization in DC

Postby (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ » Thu Aug 16, 2012 4:22 pm UTC

Nah, I believe it.
Heyyy baby wanna kill all humans?

User avatar
sam_i_am
Posts: 624
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2012 3:38 pm UTC
Location: Urbana, Illinois, USA

Re: Shooting at Christian organization in DC

Postby sam_i_am » Thu Aug 16, 2012 4:28 pm UTC

Meaux_Pas wrote:
Steroid wrote:Conversely, we have here a case where the shooting is clearly political, left-on-right violence, and all of a sudden everyone is interested only in pure fact. Because the narrative would have to be that socially liberal ideas engendered violent intentions, and social conservatism is being victimized. And that can't be allowed, lest people sympathize with the victims.

I don't think you get to say that. This isn't necessarily a situation of left-on-right violence, it's a guy who decided he had a problem with the businesses in question, and he took the path that led him to (non-fatally) shoot a security guard.
When the guy flew his small plane into the IRS building, was that a clearly political act of violence? Yes, but which side was which? You've decided on the motives of this person, even while he is alive and in custody, and we may well learn exactly his motives in a short time. Perhaps that is why the news outlets, afraid of majorly screwing up as they have been doing so well lately, are being more cautious with their speculation.
And semantically, there were not victims. There was one victim. He didn't make it past the security guard.
Historically socially conservative ideas engender violent action, and not socially liberal ones, so maybe that's where the narrative comes from. Operation Rescue? The Tea Party? Burning of Korans and effigies of lynching the President and sideshow attractions like a bullet hole-riddled outhouse marked 'Obama Presidential Library?"
Totally not about violence at all, of course. I didn't even do that kind of seriously low shit when GWB was President. And I'm an extreme liberal asshole.

Reality has a liberal bias, that's just how it goes.

t

Occupy Wall Street; the Unabomber; etc.

nitePhyyre
Posts: 1280
Joined: Mon Jul 27, 2009 10:31 am UTC

Re: Shooting at Christian organization in DC

Postby nitePhyyre » Thu Aug 16, 2012 4:50 pm UTC

You are going to take a shooting and try to turn it into some shinning example of media librul bias? OK.
Let us, for a moment, ignore the fact that all of the things you point out don't show bias, that this wasn't all that newsworthy of a shooting, that the other news oranizations did cover it, etc. Let's ignore the fact that your point doesn't really have a leg to stand on. Let's ignore all that and just assume you are right.

God, you are a childish, pathetic, small-minded excuse for a human being.
sourmìlk wrote:Monopolies are not when a single company controls the market for a single product.

You don't become great by trying to be great. You become great by wanting to do something, and then doing it so hard you become great in the process.

Роберт
Posts: 4285
Joined: Wed May 14, 2008 1:56 am UTC

Re: Shooting at Christian organization in DC

Postby Роберт » Thu Aug 16, 2012 4:53 pm UTC

nitePhyyre wrote:God, you are a childish, pathetic, small-minded excuse for a human being.

Dehumanization of other people. Not a good thing?
The Great Hippo wrote:[T]he way we treat suspected terrorists genuinely terrifies me.

yawningdog
Posts: 71
Joined: Fri Feb 25, 2011 7:00 pm UTC
Location: Glen Allen, Virginia

Re: Shooting at Christian organization in DC

Postby yawningdog » Thu Aug 16, 2012 5:46 pm UTC

God, you are a childish, pathetic, small-minded excuse for a human being.


We're really raising the bar now. Way to elevate the level of discourse.
"I fear not the man who has practiced ten thousand kicks once. But I fear the man who has practiced one kick ten thousand times."
- Bruce Lee

User avatar
netcrusher88
Posts: 2166
Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2007 4:35 pm UTC
Location: Seattle

Re: Shooting at Christian organization in DC

Postby netcrusher88 » Thu Aug 16, 2012 6:11 pm UTC

Steroid wrote:Let's compare:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/crime-scene/post/morning-shooting-in-northwest-dc/2012/08/15/845fe926-e6ec-11e1-8f62-58260e3940a0_blog.html?hpid=z1
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2011/01/08/AR2011010802422_2.html?sid=ST2011010802810
The article on the Giffords shooting spends two paragraphs trying to connect right-wing rhetoric to the shooting. The article on the FRC shooting spends a paragraph on explaining what the FRC does and the policies they support. That's a left-wing perspective on things.

Let's compare:

The article on the FRC shooting is from a crime blog. I wouldn't say it's a rush job, but it's not meant to be in-depth or human-interest. Also, one person was shot in the arm and remained sufficiently agile to wrest the weapon from the shooter.

The specific article you linked to about the Giffords shooting is from a political blog, and in addition to the facts puts the event in the context of previous politically-motivated violence against Giffords and the shooter's own evident politics.

Also, at the FRC office one person was shot in the arm and remained sufficiently agile to wrest the weapon from the shooter. In the assassination attempt on Giffords, six people were killed and another 13 were injured including Giffords who was not able to return to Congress for nearly seven months. You bet the latter is going to get more coverage.

But, hey, I'll grant that violence against a right-wing group is pretty big news.
Sexothermic
I have only ever made one prayer to God, a very short one: "O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous." And God granted it. -Voltaire
They said we would never have a black president until Swine Flu. -Gears

User avatar
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
As the Arbiter of Everything, Everything Sucks
Posts: 8314
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2007 6:17 pm UTC
Location: I FUCKING MOVED TO THE WOODS

Re: Shooting at Christian organization in DC

Postby (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ » Thu Aug 16, 2012 6:19 pm UTC

sam_i_am wrote:
Meaux_Pas wrote:
Steroid wrote:Conversely, we have here a case where the shooting is clearly political, left-on-right violence, and all of a sudden everyone is interested only in pure fact. Because the narrative would have to be that socially liberal ideas engendered violent intentions, and social conservatism is being victimized. And that can't be allowed, lest people sympathize with the victims.

I don't think you get to say that. This isn't necessarily a situation of left-on-right violence, it's a guy who decided he had a problem with the businesses in question, and he took the path that led him to (non-fatally) shoot a security guard.
When the guy flew his small plane into the IRS building, was that a clearly political act of violence? Yes, but which side was which? You've decided on the motives of this person, even while he is alive and in custody, and we may well learn exactly his motives in a short time. Perhaps that is why the news outlets, afraid of majorly screwing up as they have been doing so well lately, are being more cautious with their speculation.
And semantically, there were not victims. There was one victim. He didn't make it past the security guard.
Historically socially conservative ideas engender violent action, and not socially liberal ones, so maybe that's where the narrative comes from. Operation Rescue? The Tea Party? Burning of Korans and effigies of lynching the President and sideshow attractions like a bullet hole-riddled outhouse marked 'Obama Presidential Library?"
Totally not about violence at all, of course. I didn't even do that kind of seriously low shit when GWB was President. And I'm an extreme liberal asshole.

Reality has a liberal bias, that's just how it goes.

t

Occupy Wall Street; the Unabomber; etc.

Etc, that was a crazy situation, I remember that one.
Occupy Wall Street, yeah that totally counts.
/just sayin
Heyyy baby wanna kill all humans?

Heisenberg
Posts: 3789
Joined: Wed May 14, 2008 8:48 pm UTC
Location: Uncertain

Re: Shooting at Christian organization in DC

Postby Heisenberg » Thu Aug 16, 2012 6:39 pm UTC

Izawwlgood wrote:There isn't a liberal media conspiracy hiding this, it's just that liberal media is covering it rationally and reasonably, instead of sensationalizing the ever loving shit out of it like Fox News is doing.

Hate crime shootings aren't newsworthy now? Fox has it on the front page because it's a politically motivated shooting in an election year, of course it's on the damn front page.

Tirian
Posts: 1891
Joined: Fri Feb 15, 2008 6:03 pm UTC

Re: Shooting at Christian organization in DC

Postby Tirian » Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:16 pm UTC

Heisenberg wrote:
Izawwlgood wrote:There isn't a liberal media conspiracy hiding this, it's just that liberal media is covering it rationally and reasonably, instead of sensationalizing the ever loving shit out of it like Fox News is doing.

Hate crime shootings aren't newsworthy now? Fox has it on the front page because it's a politically motivated shooting in an election year, of course it's on the damn front page.


There were 6628 reported hate crime offenses committed in 2010. No, they're not newsworthy. I've got to be honest with you, not even the 41 of those hate crimes that were perpetrated against Protestants were newsworthy. Based on what I know, this is politically/morally motivated rather than religious bias anyways, so it isn't even a hate crime.

But if conservatives want to make the point that unregulated gun possession makes everyone live in the shadow of fear and not just those on the left, I welcome the perspective.

Heisenberg
Posts: 3789
Joined: Wed May 14, 2008 8:48 pm UTC
Location: Uncertain

Re: Shooting at Christian organization in DC

Postby Heisenberg » Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:27 pm UTC

Nice stats. I agree that the 2000 property damage cases and the 3000 simple assaults and intimidations weren't newsworthy.

But the 7 murders surely were.

User avatar
omgryebread
Posts: 1393
Joined: Wed Dec 15, 2010 3:03 am UTC

Re: Shooting at Christian organization in DC

Postby omgryebread » Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:33 pm UTC

Heisenberg wrote:Nice stats. I agree that the 2000 property damage cases and the 3000 simple assaults and intimidations weren't newsworthy.

But the 7 murders surely were.
Has any national news organizations reported on Jovan Blackwell, Janerio Keys, Marvin Jones, Jeffery Thomas, Ezra Bunch, Anthony Cureton, Joseph Ulrich, Victor Asbell, or two unidentified men? Because they were all murdered in my city in this month alone. They probably got, at most, a one paragraph blurb in the local paper. They were not on any page at all on the national news organizations' websites.

But you say the real injustice is that the nonfatal shooting of a security guard isn't posted prominently enough?
avatar from Nononono by Lynn Okamoto.

Heisenberg
Posts: 3789
Joined: Wed May 14, 2008 8:48 pm UTC
Location: Uncertain

Re: Shooting at Christian organization in DC

Postby Heisenberg » Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:37 pm UTC

Please don't put words in my mouth.

Fair or not, the media generally gives an incredible amount of attention to hate crime murders. This was an attempted murder, if not an act of terrorism, that is being investigated as a hate crime. It's certainly a tempting target for the media.

User avatar
Endless Mike
Posts: 3204
Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2007 3:04 pm UTC

Re: Shooting at Christian organization in DC

Postby Endless Mike » Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:41 pm UTC

Just FYI, here's this morning's Washington Post with this story front page, above the fold (yes, there's the caveat that it's local news, but the Washington Post doesn't tend to deal with truly local news on its front page for obvious reasons): linked for huge. For comparison, here's the Washington Times, another DC-area paper that's more conservative bent: linked again

Jonesthe Spy
Posts: 108
Joined: Fri Dec 30, 2011 7:05 pm UTC

Re: Shooting at Christian organization in DC

Postby Jonesthe Spy » Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:00 pm UTC

Man, the victim complex right wingers cling to is just ludicrous. Meanwhile, here's he NPR link on the story: http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/201 ... ism-charge

Really, this was inevitable. After years of violence-inciting rhetoric followed my actual violence from the right, some guy on the other side decided to play the same game. Of course, I don't recall any media voices from the left calling the FRC traitors who are plotting to destroy America.

Luckily the shooter was an idiot - I'm glad no one was hurt worse.

User avatar
Jave D
chavey-dee
Posts: 1042
Joined: Mon Oct 18, 2010 4:41 pm UTC

Re: Shooting at Christian organization in DC

Postby Jave D » Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:10 pm UTC

So the subject of this topic is not really the shooting, but the vast liberal media conspiracy? Just checking.

User avatar
netcrusher88
Posts: 2166
Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2007 4:35 pm UTC
Location: Seattle

Re: Shooting at Christian organization in DC

Postby netcrusher88 » Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:14 pm UTC

Well, I mean, I don't know there's much to say about the shooting. Some guy shot a security guard at an FRC office, stating that it was politically motivated. Guy said he was volunteering at an LGBT organization earlier, which isn't really directly relevant but maybe explains why he was so pissed off at Perkins' lobbyists on that particular day. The guard will be fine, I gather.

I mean I guess we could try to put it in the context of a culture of violent rhetoric on the left or a history of left-wing violence against right-wing hate groups if there was one but there just isn't. So instead we're talking about whether or not the fact that isn't happening is an indication of liberal media bias.
Sexothermic
I have only ever made one prayer to God, a very short one: "O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous." And God granted it. -Voltaire
They said we would never have a black president until Swine Flu. -Gears

User avatar
sam_i_am
Posts: 624
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2012 3:38 pm UTC
Location: Urbana, Illinois, USA

Re: Shooting at Christian organization in DC

Postby sam_i_am » Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:22 pm UTC

Jonesthe Spy wrote:Man, the victim complex right wingers cling to is just ludicrous. Meanwhile, here's he NPR link on the story: http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/201 ... ism-charge

Really, this was inevitable. After years of violence-inciting rhetoric followed my actual violence from the right, some guy on the other side decided to play the same game. Of course, I don't recall any media voices from the left calling the FRC traitors who are plotting to destroy America.

Luckily the shooter was an idiot - I'm glad no one was hurt worse.


Many Left-Wingers cling to a victim complex too.


Return to “News & Articles”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 15 guests