Shooting at Christian organization in DC

Seen something interesting in the news or on the intertubes? Discuss it here.

Moderators: Zamfir, Hawknc, Moderators General, Prelates

User avatar
darkone238
Posts: 111
Joined: Thu Feb 09, 2012 6:37 am UTC

Re: Shooting at Christian organization in DC

Postby darkone238 » Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:05 pm UTC

Spoiler:
Steroid debate threads are always amusing. I have to believe that he's just a huge troll because I have a hard time believing anyone is as conceited and wrong as he is, and I've known plenty of bigots.


I do take issue with the idea that it's wrong to lose some privileges (especially if those privileges are things like "I get to be a useless dickbag and treat people I don't like as if they have a disease") in order to equalize rights. From what I understand, rights are supposed to be unconditionally guaranteed (with some notable exceptions, such as felons who lose certain rights (that's a whole different topic)) and privileges are awarded and can be (very easily) taken away. People deserve rights, people don't deserve privileges (if they get them, great).

Carry on, ladies and gents~

User avatar
Belial
A terrible sound heard from a distance
Posts: 30450
Joined: Sat Apr 15, 2006 4:04 am UTC
Contact:

Re: Shooting at Christian organization in DC

Postby Belial » Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:07 pm UTC

Steroid wrote:I just don't understand why it is the way that felltir describes it. I don't know why homosexuals and liberals, who at one point knew their place, now all of a sudden act as if they're the ones who built the world up. I don't understand why a forum like this is more likely to exclude someone acting according to the norms of the old world than they are to exclude someone acting deviant to those norms. Someone explain this to me, please, because apparently I missed a memo somewhere.


Aww. Let me tell you a secret: no one has ever "known their place" as less-than-equal. The illusion of someone "knowing their place" is maintained only by someone else having the strength and the malice to keep them in that place by force and threat of force.

Why are we out of "our place"? Because we can be. Because people like you can no longer force us back into it with variously-veiled threats of violence. That's all. I'm sorry you imagined it was ever anything different.
addams wrote:A drunk neighbor is better than a sober Belial.


They/them

User avatar
setzer777
Good questions sometimes get stupid answers
Posts: 2762
Joined: Sun Nov 23, 2008 9:24 am UTC

Re: Shooting at Christian organization in DC

Postby setzer777 » Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:07 pm UTC

Steroid wrote:
felltir wrote:Steroid. I am going to attempt to follow your logic through.

If you say you will accept things that are the norm, the opinions held by the majority, then your opinions need to change. Not everywhere, but here.
.....

But here, in this internet-based society, that view IS the majority view. Provably. As such you should not try and change the established order (which, here, is arguing for more rights for minorities) and instead embrace it.


This is the most sense-making post in the thread. (other than mine, of course) You set this up, and now we have to live with it. The logical step for me is to go hang out with folks like the FRC that understand what's right and don't allow you to interfere.


So does that mean you're going to take the logical step and either adjust your opinions or find a community more amenable to them, thus leaving us poor ignorant fools to wonder why groups like the FRC exist, not realizing that we are the demons?

Somehow I doubt that will happen, because I suspect that you're lying about your intentions and actually just want to troll.
Meaux_Pas wrote:We're here to go above and beyond.

Too infinity
of being an arsehole

User avatar
eran_rathan
Mostly Wrong
Posts: 1848
Joined: Fri Apr 09, 2010 2:36 pm UTC
Location: in your ceiling, judging you

Re: Shooting at Christian organization in DC

Postby eran_rathan » Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:20 pm UTC

Steroid wrote:I don't know why homosexuals and liberals, who at one point knew their place, now all of a sudden act as if they're the ones who built the world up.


FFS, you twit.

ALAN TURING.

look him up.

EDIT: Also, in regards to liberals: Monroe. Jefferson. Locke. Rousseau. All liberals (in the classical sense).
Last edited by eran_rathan on Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:24 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
"Does this smell like chloroform to you?"
"Google tells me you are not unique. You are, however, wrong."
nɒʜƚɒɿ_nɒɿɘ

User avatar
Jave D
chavey-dee
Posts: 1042
Joined: Mon Oct 18, 2010 4:41 pm UTC

Re: Shooting at Christian organization in DC

Postby Jave D » Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:22 pm UTC

Steroid wrote:But then you'll be sitting around here wondering why groups like this and people like Akin from the other thread exist. Answer: you make them exist because you drive them away.


Ooh, I have magical, god-like powers of responsibility and causation now! So says Steroid, the self-proclaimed Most Sensible Guy Around. It must be true.

All I wanted to do was discuss the odious shooting of an innocent person, and the attempt to shoot more innocent people, by a guilty man motivated by an ideology. And to talk about the press reaction. But because people here care more about that ideology than guilt or innocence, we get a big debate that goes nowhere.


Ideology was your main, if not your only point. Your entire first post is as follows:

Steroid wrote:Man Opens Fire at Family Research Council

The real interesting part of this, to me, is the media coverage. CNN doesn't have it up on their front page at all. NBCnews has it as the last item, right below a story about the orbits of Mars and Venus. CBS news does have it, but you have to page down. It is their most popular story, though, so you can see why they'd drop it below the digital fold. :roll:

When conservatives talk about left-wing media bias, this is what they mean. It's not the active promotion of left-wing causes, it's the way they treat the news. Every opportunity, when a tragedy has arisen, has been taken to try to connect the Tea Party to the cause of violence, from the theater shooting in Aurora to that census worker who killed himself to make it look like a homicide to the Gabrielle Giffords shooting. None of which were actual right-on-left violence. Now, a volunteer at an LBGT organization goes into a Christian organization and starts shooting, and the press yawns. Why is no one going on TV and saying, "If only 'thou shalt not kill' were drilled into him a little more, this might not have happened. Oh, those morally bankrupt lefties!"?

Let's compare:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/crime-scene/post/morning-shooting-in-northwest-dc/2012/08/15/845fe926-e6ec-11e1-8f62-58260e3940a0_blog.html?hpid=z1
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2011/01/08/AR2011010802422_2.html?sid=ST2011010802810

The article on the Giffords shooting spends two paragraphs trying to connect right-wing rhetoric to the shooting. The article on the FRC shooting spends a paragraph on explaining what the FRC does and the policies they support. That's a left-wing perspective on things.

Of course, maybe the problem is that no one got killed here, because the guard did his job (was he armed? the articles don't say). The lesson for conservatives is clearly to let the left-wingers take out a few of you, and you might get coverage. Nah, it'll probably be more like, "N People Shot and Killed; More Tax Money Needed for Post-Shooting Health Care."


=liberal media bias, liberal media bias, wah wah wah.

Now you want to try and rewrite even the history of this stupid thread so that your main point was just a little aside and that everyone else is consumed by ideology and hates the concept of guilt or innocence or whatever. Bullshit!

I just don't understand why it is the way that felltir describes it. I don't know why homosexuals and liberals, who at one point knew their place, now all of a sudden act as if they're the ones who built the world up.


...aw, so we don't have magical, god-like powers of responsibility and causation? But Steroid said we do! How confusing, it's almost as if you contradict your own stupid statements frequently and repeatedly. But probably I'm causing you to do that too.

I don't understand why a forum like this is more likely to exclude someone acting according to the norms of the old world than they are to exclude someone acting deviant to those norms. Someone explain this to me, please, because apparently I missed a memo somewhere.


No one's excluding you. Just observing the nonsensical things you say and disagreeing with them. You're not a martyr, you're not being persecuted, and your attempt to play the victim here is not just exceedingly trollish, it's stupid and obvious and clumsy too.

User avatar
netcrusher88
Posts: 2166
Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2007 4:35 pm UTC
Location: Seattle

Re: Shooting at Christian organization in DC

Postby netcrusher88 » Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:29 pm UTC

If he is a troll he's the single most accomplished and consistent troll I've ever met. Absurd reactionaries being not-trolls here is not unprecedented. Like, there was Foghorn McDouchetruck in the PUA thread (oops, that was J, Foggy was uh... Curie? no, evo-psych) but he got banned pretty quickly. And wasn't trolling either.

Steroid may, however, be a reincarnation of Francis Dec without the schizophrenia.
Last edited by netcrusher88 on Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:43 pm UTC, edited 3 times in total.
Sexothermic
I have only ever made one prayer to God, a very short one: "O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous." And God granted it. -Voltaire
They said we would never have a black president until Swine Flu. -Gears

User avatar
sam_i_am
Posts: 624
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2012 3:38 pm UTC
Location: Urbana, Illinois, USA

Re: Shooting at Christian organization in DC

Postby sam_i_am » Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:30 pm UTC


Steroid
Posts: 549
Joined: Wed Mar 26, 2008 10:50 am UTC

Re: Shooting at Christian organization in DC

Postby Steroid » Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:31 pm UTC

Am I allowed to have a safespace thread on the board somewhere? Because I'm about at the kill-myself stage here. I want to make posts without everyone jumping down my throat and arguing with me. You have no idea how much what you're doing hurts me. Please. I am not trolling. I am begging. Just point me to where I can live my own life and write what I want, in the name of anything you hold dear. I am sick of being the loser, the minority. I want to win a thread once.

User avatar
TheAmazingRando
Posts: 2308
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2008 9:58 am UTC
Location: San Diego, CA

Re: Shooting at Christian organization in DC

Postby TheAmazingRando » Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:32 pm UTC

You could always start a blog

User avatar
TheGrammarBolshevik
Posts: 4878
Joined: Mon Jun 30, 2008 2:12 am UTC
Location: Going to and fro in the earth, and walking up and down in it.

Re: Shooting at Christian organization in DC

Postby TheGrammarBolshevik » Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:33 pm UTC

Steroid wrote:I want to win a thread once.

You seem to be under this impression that wanting something is the same as having a right to it.
Nothing rhymes with orange,
Not even sporange.

User avatar
netcrusher88
Posts: 2166
Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2007 4:35 pm UTC
Location: Seattle

Re: Shooting at Christian organization in DC

Postby netcrusher88 » Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:33 pm UTC

okay i take it back that's textbook concern trolling

(and if it's not, look, kid... try freerepublic or something)
Sexothermic
I have only ever made one prayer to God, a very short one: "O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous." And God granted it. -Voltaire
They said we would never have a black president until Swine Flu. -Gears

User avatar
darkone238
Posts: 111
Joined: Thu Feb 09, 2012 6:37 am UTC

Re: Shooting at Christian organization in DC

Postby darkone238 » Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:35 pm UTC

Steroid wrote:Am I allowed to have a safespace thread on the board somewhere? Because I'm about at the kill-myself stage here. I want to make posts without everyone jumping down my throat and arguing with me. You have no idea how much what you're doing hurts me. Please. I am not trolling. I am begging. Just point me to where I can live my own life and write what I want, in the name of anything you hold dear. I am sick of being the loser, the minority. I want to win a thread once.

Stop saying amazingly conceited and wrong things and you'll win the thread. Alternatively, if you don't want to do that, http://www.blogger.com

No one can force you to change your opinion, but we have just as much right to (very very) strongly disagree with every viewpoint you've ever made on this forum publicly as you have to say them in the first place.

webzter_again
Posts: 119
Joined: Sun May 27, 2012 4:37 am UTC

Re: Shooting at Christian organization in DC

Postby webzter_again » Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:36 pm UTC

Steroid wrote:Christianity, and the anti-gay part of it, didn't become the majority through illicit means. They became so by a long, steady build of influence, power, and results.

...
The homosexual culture in particular, and the multicultural view in general, both have a long way to go before they reach the status that Christianity already has. And this is the heart of our difference. To you, power is the source of oppression. To me, it's evidence of past success.



Steroid wrote:I am sick of being the loser, the minority. I want to win a thread once.



Claims to be in majority and minority at same time. Attempts to oppress self.

User avatar
sam_i_am
Posts: 624
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2012 3:38 pm UTC
Location: Urbana, Illinois, USA

Re: Shooting at Christian organization in DC

Postby sam_i_am » Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:36 pm UTC

Steroid wrote:Am I allowed to have a safespace thread on the board somewhere? Because I'm about at the kill-myself stage here. I want to make posts without everyone jumping down my throat and arguing with me. You have no idea how much what you're doing hurts me. Please. I am not trolling. I am begging. Just point me to where I can live my own life and write what I want, in the name of anything you hold dear. I am sick of being the loser, the minority. I want to win a thread once.


After looking over a few of your posts, the following forum might be a little more inclined to agree with you on many points.

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/forum.php

Steroid
Posts: 549
Joined: Wed Mar 26, 2008 10:50 am UTC

Re: Shooting at Christian organization in DC

Postby Steroid » Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:37 pm UTC

netcrusher88 wrote:(and if it's not, look, kid... try freerepublic or something)


sam_i_am wrote:
Steroid wrote:Am I allowed to have a safespace thread on the board somewhere? Because I'm about at the kill-myself stage here. I want to make posts without everyone jumping down my throat and arguing with me. You have no idea how much what you're doing hurts me. Please. I am not trolling. I am begging. Just point me to where I can live my own life and write what I want, in the name of anything you hold dear. I am sick of being the loser, the minority. I want to win a thread once.


After looking over a few of your posts, the following forum might be a little more inclined to agree with you on many points.

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/forum.php


Thanks, guys. That's the first suggestion here that someone has a shred of human caring about me. You're all right.

User avatar
Belial
A terrible sound heard from a distance
Posts: 30450
Joined: Sat Apr 15, 2006 4:04 am UTC
Contact:

Re: Shooting at Christian organization in DC

Postby Belial » Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:40 pm UTC

Steroid wrote:Thanks, guys. That's the first suggestion here that someone has a shred of human caring about me. You're all right.


Sigh. Okay, look, on the off chance you're not being a disingenuous troll and you're actually this emotionally disturbed by people being mean to you: you probably need to learn that when you advocate oppressing people, those people will get angry at you. They're not being mean, or failing to show basic human compassion to you, they're upset because you're trying to stand on their throat.
addams wrote:A drunk neighbor is better than a sober Belial.


They/them

User avatar
TheGrammarBolshevik
Posts: 4878
Joined: Mon Jun 30, 2008 2:12 am UTC
Location: Going to and fro in the earth, and walking up and down in it.

Re: Shooting at Christian organization in DC

Postby TheGrammarBolshevik » Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:52 pm UTC

Whoa, you mean that people won't show compassion toward you if you only interact with them in the context of arguing that they shouldn't be treated like equals?

MIND = BLOWN
Nothing rhymes with orange,
Not even sporange.

morriswalters
Posts: 7073
Joined: Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:21 am UTC

Re: Shooting at Christian organization in DC

Postby morriswalters » Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:54 pm UTC

The end result of the change that is happening now is that the old order must give way and die. By definition they are mutually exclusive. The point of my question was to point out that when things change that it's not a matter of just accepting the change. Advocates of the LGBT community must tear down one order to exist. Asking for fair treatment will never be enough. Fairness has nothing to do with it. The new order will be no more fair than the old. There will always be out groups who are discriminated against. It's very easy to see Evangelicals as a minority at some point in time discriminated against and forbidden their worship of their Religion. When the Civil War was over the slave holding community was done. Demonized and in disrepute. The same is inevitable now. Talking about Uganda makes the point. They are Sovereign. They don't need to justify their behavior to anybody. Their civil society accepts those precepts. To change that you have to overturn them against their will.

User avatar
Izawwlgood
WINNING
Posts: 18686
Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2007 3:55 pm UTC
Location: There may be lovelier lovelies...

Re: Shooting at Christian organization in DC

Postby Izawwlgood » Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:03 pm UTC

@Steroid: I highly suggest crafting your discussions in a less self-contradictory and other-aggrandizing manner if you want to be respected in discussion. In the interest of taking the bait that you are in fact hurting about this, I hope you find a method to push your thought noodles around that leaves room for civil discussion. The burden of reaching that point is on you.

@morriswalters; there is a world of difference between tearing down old paradigms and 'telling the extant that they must die'. I don't begrudge anyone the right to think homosexuality is icky, or that black people are thugs, or that Jews are cheap, or that whateverwhateverwhatever. I will fight tooth and nail when you suggest that your beliefs ought to dictate how someone else lives their life.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

Princess Marzipan
Posts: 7717
Joined: Sun May 27, 2007 5:28 am UTC
Location: neither a road, nor an island

Re: Shooting at Christian organization in DC

Postby Princess Marzipan » Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:27 pm UTC

Steroid wrote:Am I allowed to have a safespace thread on the board somewhere? Because I'm about at the kill-myself stage here. I want to make posts without everyone jumping down my throat and arguing with me. You have no idea how much what you're doing hurts me. Please. I am not trolling. I am begging.
Make a thread in Dear SB if you like. That entire forum is a safespace. But do so in such a way that you do not violate that safespace for others.
Steroid wrote:Just point me to where I can live my own life and write what I want, in the name of anything you hold dear. I am sick of being the loser, the minority. I want to win a thread once.
Well, no one here is doing anything to prevent you from living your own life. And you've been writing what you want for a good while now.
If you're sick of being "the loser, the minority", then I can only point you to your own arguments about how minority views are wrong when they conflict with majority views. Your desires are mutually exclusive with your beliefs: On these forums, you cannot BOTH be in the majority AND believe the majority is right simply because it's the majority. We can do nothing to help you in this.
As to "winning" a thread...Forum Games. If you want to "win" a discussion thread, however, you'll have to do that with arguments that aren't self-contradictory.
"It's Saturday night. I've got no date, a two-liter of Shasta, and my all-Rush mixtape. Let's rock!"
"I am just about to be brilliant!"
General_Norris, on feminism, wrote:If you lose your six Pokémon, you lost.

User avatar
Telchar
That's Admiral 'The Hulk' Ackbar, to you sir
Posts: 1937
Joined: Sat Apr 05, 2008 9:06 pm UTC
Location: Cynicistia

Re: Shooting at Christian organization in DC

Postby Telchar » Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:32 pm UTC

Princess Marzipan wrote:If you want to "win" a discussion thread, however, you'll have to do that with loaded dice.


Critical hit with a rapier on PM! x3 Damage!
Zamfir wrote:Yeah, that's a good point. Everyone is all about presumption of innocence in rape threads. But when Mexican drug lords build APCs to carry their henchmen around, we immediately jump to criminal conclusions without hard evidence.

User avatar
yurell
Posts: 2924
Joined: Sat Nov 13, 2010 2:19 am UTC
Location: Australia!

Re: Shooting at Christian organization in DC

Postby yurell » Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:32 pm UTC

Steroid wrote:I am sick of being the loser, the minority. I want to win a thread once.


Steroid, this is a forum for discussion. If you want to 'win' a thread, try holding an idea consistent with reality. The views you espouse are morally reprehensible to those here, and you'll never convince any of us, not because we're ignoring you, but because we outright reject your premises as abhorrent, and many of the arguments you use to support your point are fallacious or downright false.
And you should not be surprised when the people who you want oppressed don't want to be oppressed; almost everyone on this forum a) believes people to be equal (to some degree) and b) recognises the existence of privilege. If you're sick of being a minority, think of what it's like for those groups you want ground down, who are a minority in real life, who simply don't have the option of going to another forum / planet.

I'm willing to accept you're not trolling, but you have to understand; people aren't posting because we hate you, but because we vehemently disagree with your point; in previous threads, you've said a Dickensian nightmare world is acceptable, you've contested that your moral ('whatever's best for steroid is the best move to make') is better than everyone else's, you've contested that laws shouldn't exist because they negatively affect you. Don't you see how people can disagree with these points? If you want to make a contentious point, you should be able to back it up with strong logical arguments; assuming everyone accepts 'steroid's right to do what he wants' is a bad assumption, and arguments based on it won't convince anyone.
cemper93 wrote:Dude, I just presented an elaborate multiple fraction in Comic Sans. Who are you to question me?


Pronouns: Feminine pronouns please!

morriswalters
Posts: 7073
Joined: Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:21 am UTC

Re: Shooting at Christian organization in DC

Postby morriswalters » Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:44 pm UTC

@ Izawwlgood
I don't think you can have one without the other, nor do I think it is a bad thing. Things end. And to play word games and suggest that is not what is happening, is disingenuous. This is exactly what happened to the social groups the Christians themselves displaced. If the LGBT community is going to seek parity, how else can they achieve it. The only a question is one of if. Oddly enough you can see an example in play currently. Racism is the paradigm. If racism is to disappear in the long term, then it is conceivable to imagine that it will happen by merging the races rather than living beside each other. In my youth black and white couples were the exception. They are now, if not common, then not unusual. If that trend continues then the pure races, if you want to use twaddle such as that, will become minorities.

User avatar
Dauric
Posts: 3999
Joined: Wed Aug 05, 2009 6:58 pm UTC
Location: In midair, traversing laterally over a container of sharks. No water, just sharks, with lasers.

Re: Shooting at Christian organization in DC

Postby Dauric » Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:54 pm UTC

Princess Marzipan wrote:
Steroid wrote:Just point me to where I can live my own life and write what I want, in the name of anything you hold dear. I am sick of being the loser, the minority. I want to win a thread once.
Well, no one here is doing anything to prevent you from living your own life. And you've been writing what you want for a good while now.
If you're sick of being "the loser, the minority", then I can only point you to your own arguments about how minority views are wrong when they conflict with majority views. Your desires are mutually exclusive with your beliefs: On these forums, you cannot BOTH be in the majority AND believe the majority is right simply because it's the majority. We can do nothing to help you in this.
As to "winning" a thread...Forum Games. If you want to "win" a discussion thread, however, you'll have to do that with arguments that aren't self-contradictory.


The idea of "winning" a thread like this, on topics like this... Disturbs me.

I like games. Board games, video games, pen-and-paper role-playing-games, tabletop miniatures wargames...

...However...

Here we're discussing the rights of human beings, not painted miniatures. We're discussing policies that have an impact on the way millions of people live their lives, not horses in a race. We're talking about rhetoric that drives people to do violence to one another shattering families and communities, not a hand of poker.

The thing I like about these forums is that around here people don't discuss current events topics to "win", we discuss the topics as they impact actual people. In that regard the moment you're posting here to "win" an argument you've already failed.
We're in the traffic-chopper over the XKCD boards where there's been a thread-derailment. A Liquified Godwin spill has evacuated threads in a fourty-post radius of the accident, Lolcats and TVTropes have broken free of their containers. It is believed that the Point has perished.

Princess Marzipan
Posts: 7717
Joined: Sun May 27, 2007 5:28 am UTC
Location: neither a road, nor an island

Re: Shooting at Christian organization in DC

Postby Princess Marzipan » Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:20 am UTC

Telchar wrote:
Princess Marzipan wrote:If you want to "win" a discussion thread, however, you'll have to do that with loaded dice.


Critical hit with a rapier on PM! x3 Damage!
Sorry, I'm immune to crits.

Edit: I just checked today's SMBC, and it is SHOCKINGLY relevant.
"It's Saturday night. I've got no date, a two-liter of Shasta, and my all-Rush mixtape. Let's rock!"
"I am just about to be brilliant!"
General_Norris, on feminism, wrote:If you lose your six Pokémon, you lost.

engr
Posts: 322
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2010 3:08 am UTC

Re: Shooting at Christian organization in DC

Postby engr » Wed Aug 22, 2012 3:25 am UTC

Princess Marzipan wrote:Make a thread in Dear SB if you like. That entire forum is a safespace. But do so in such a way that you do not violate that safespace for others.


I think the idea of having "safespaces" for "privileged" groups (whites, males, etc.) has been discussed on these fora at some point and the general belief was (after all, these are liberal fora) that the "non-oppressed" groups don't need "safespaces", because the entire world is their "safespace" and if you let them gather together they will be more privilege-blind, etc.

Steroid, as someone who agrees with a large portion of what you say, I can tell you that at no point you, or I, will win a discussion on these fora. And that's not the end of the world. Having an unpopular opinion is an interesting situation; it can make you research your position more, strengthen your convictions, and to become more callous of what some stranger on the Internet thinks or you. It also can make you into a complete agnostic who doesn't know what he really believes as he has seen to many convincing arguments from either side and has been defeated by the radicals from either side of the spectrum (I have been outargued by both white nationalists and liberals, pro-Palestinians and Israeli tight-wingers, and so on).
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. Gilbert K. Chesterton

Princess Marzipan
Posts: 7717
Joined: Sun May 27, 2007 5:28 am UTC
Location: neither a road, nor an island

Re: Shooting at Christian organization in DC

Postby Princess Marzipan » Wed Aug 22, 2012 3:34 am UTC

engr wrote:
Princess Marzipan wrote:Make a thread in Dear SB if you like. That entire forum is a safespace. But do so in such a way that you do not violate that safespace for others.


I think the idea of having "safespaces" for "privileged" groups (whites, males, etc.) has been discussed on these fora at some point and the general belief was (after all, these are liberal fora) that the "non-oppressed" groups don't need "safespaces", because the entire world is their "safespace" and if you let them gather together they will be more privilege-blind, etc.
Making a thread specifically to argue for the rightness of white or male privilege would be a thing that is a violation of a safespace.
I was suggesting, perhaps unclearly, that Steroid visit Dear SB to post about whatever hurt feelings he has. Here in a discussion thread no one is going to lend them much weight when they arise from arguments against his inconsistent beliefs. In Dear SB responses will be more limited to support, sympathy, and assistance.
"It's Saturday night. I've got no date, a two-liter of Shasta, and my all-Rush mixtape. Let's rock!"
"I am just about to be brilliant!"
General_Norris, on feminism, wrote:If you lose your six Pokémon, you lost.

User avatar
setzer777
Good questions sometimes get stupid answers
Posts: 2762
Joined: Sun Nov 23, 2008 9:24 am UTC

Re: Shooting at Christian organization in DC

Postby setzer777 » Wed Aug 22, 2012 3:43 am UTC

Steroid wrote:Am I allowed to have a safespace thread on the board somewhere? Because I'm about at the kill-myself stage here. I want to make posts without everyone jumping down my throat and arguing with me. You have no idea how much what you're doing hurts me. Please. I am not trolling. I am begging. Just point me to where I can live my own life and write what I want, in the name of anything you hold dear. I am sick of being the loser, the minority. I want to win a thread once.


It seems like the general view you've been espousing is:

Steroid wrote:In the social arena, anything goes.


By your own views, aren't we (the local majority of this community) in the right to impose social sanctions on what you do (make idiotic arguments) and who you are (an obnoxious troll who posts incendiary shit)? According to the arguments you've been making this whole time, the fact that getting shouted down makes you feel terrible is a sign that the system is working!

Steroid wrote:
sourmìlk wrote:Also, I want to say this: you are not the only thing that matters. A completely egotistical point of view is not moral or rational. Your actions affect others and you need to take that into consideration. If you don't, then you are classified as a sociopath, and thus unfit to function in society much less voice your opinions in a public manner.

So the penalty for not caring about one's position in society is a reduction in one's position in society. That seems a rather impotent reaction.

Naturally I don't expect to be the only thing that matters to you or to society. What I don't understand is why, in turn, you or society should be the only (or at least the primary) thing that matters to me.


See, this is exactly the deal you wanted to make. You don't care about society (in this case the unwritten rules of decency and decorum), and society punishes you by criticizing your moronic statements and pointing out your mistakes. But since you don't care about society, it's an impotent reaction, right?
Meaux_Pas wrote:We're here to go above and beyond.

Too infinity
of being an arsehole

User avatar
Zamfir
I built a novelty castle, the irony was lost on some.
Posts: 7606
Joined: Wed Aug 27, 2008 2:43 pm UTC
Location: Nederland

Re: Shooting at Christian organization in DC

Postby Zamfir » Wed Aug 22, 2012 5:47 am UTC

Am I allowed to have a safespace thread on the board somewhere? Because I'm about at the kill-myself stage here. I want to make posts without everyone jumping down my throat and arguing with me. You have no idea how much what you're doing hurts me. Please. I am not trolling. I am begging. Just point me to where I can live my own life and write what I want, in the name of anything you hold dear. I am sick of being the loser, the minority. I want to win a thread once.


If you follow up on this meek attitude with honest attempts at conversation, I will let you stay. If you go back to your typical outrage-seeking, you can go do it elsewhere.

Tyndmyr
Posts: 11443
Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:38 pm UTC

Re: Shooting at Christian organization in DC

Postby Tyndmyr » Wed Aug 22, 2012 2:04 pm UTC

Steroid wrote:Am I allowed to have a safespace thread on the board somewhere? Because I'm about at the kill-myself stage here. I want to make posts without everyone jumping down my throat and arguing with me. You have no idea how much what you're doing hurts me. Please. I am not trolling. I am begging. Just point me to where I can live my own life and write what I want, in the name of anything you hold dear. I am sick of being the loser, the minority. I want to win a thread once.


It's a discussion thread, sir. The world disagrees with you.

Since you value conformity to social norms as the ultimate arbiter of what's right, clearly, the only logical thing to do is to abandon your unpopular ideas and join us.

User avatar
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
As the Arbiter of Everything, Everything Sucks
Posts: 8314
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2007 6:17 pm UTC
Location: I FUCKING MOVED TO THE WOODS

Re: Shooting at Christian organization in DC

Postby (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ » Wed Aug 22, 2012 4:15 pm UTC

Steroid wrote:Am I allowed to have a safespace thread on the board somewhere? Because I'm about at the kill-myself stage here. I want to make posts without everyone jumping down my throat and arguing with me. You have no idea how much what you're doing hurts me. Please. I am not trolling. I am begging. Just point me to where I can live my own life and write what I want, in the name of anything you hold dear. I am sick of being the loser, the minority. I want to win a thread once.

Are you allowed to? Absolutely. Dear SB will accept your complaints and pain and people will try to help. That's what it's for. I think somewhere on the board there's even a Christian Safespace Thread. Have a party.

I do think that people are unfairly ascribing some opinions and beliefs to Steroid that zhe may not hold, but at the same time, the beliefs that have been espoused are actually pretty offensive, obfuscatory scumfuckery to steal a phrase.
You're begging, all of a sudden, when before you were arguing. It's something like irony that previously it was said that having no sympathy for the organization being attacked in this situation- in the article, remember the article?- was unacceptable, and I believe the words were 'fuck you people' and now, these same forumites are expected to feel bad for someone defending the FRC's (Note: Not All Christians') views, when really historically there's no precedent for that.
Was Steroid really defendign the views of the FRC, or just the methodology? Seemed like both to me, but hard to say when the goalposts moved.
Now they've moved to 'you're hurting me, you're oppressing me, I just want to live my own life' and I don't know if this is the punchline or not.
But I'm assuming it is.

I see what you did there.
Heyyy baby wanna kill all humans?


Return to “News & Articles”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 21 guests