This Is How It Ends - Iran War Sim

Seen something interesting in the news or on the intertubes? Discuss it here.

Moderators: Zamfir, Hawknc, Moderators General, Prelates

Ormurinn

This Is How It Ends - Iran War Sim

Postby Ormurinn » Fri Oct 19, 2012 6:31 pm UTC

Thought I'd leave this here:

http://tellmehowthisends.com/

Not really engaged yet, but so far it does seem to demonstrate the folly of an American attack on Iran - I'm playing as a warmonger for this reason.

EDIT: Two playthroughs - the differences you can make are minimal and the gameplay is pants - I was expecting it to be much longer. That said, I would be interested in a more general conversation on the prospect of a war with Iran - assuming that's allowed.
"Progress" - Technological advances masking societal decay.

EdgarJPublius
Official Propagandi.... Nifty Poster Guy

Re: This Is How It Ends - Iran War Sim

Postby EdgarJPublius » Fri Oct 19, 2012 7:36 pm UTC

the 'simulation' is extremely flawed, you can't choose not to make a unilateral first strike against Iran, which is basically the least realistic scenario for any escalation of the Iran situation. It's far more likely that the situation will tend more-or-less towards detente, or if it does escalate, that the U.S. would be dragged into a strike against Iran by Israel. The simulation also ignores that Israel already instigated the arms race in the region.

I think ultimately, the Iran situation will play out much like North Korea's nuclear program, the west will bellyache for a while until Iran get's the bomb, and then the whole thing will quietly disappear. The only real complicating factor is a belligerent, U.S. backed, Israel.
Roosevelt wrote:
I wrote:Does Space Teddy Roosevelt wrestle Space Bears and fight the Space Spanish-American War with his band of Space-volunteers the Space Rough Riders?

Yes.

-still unaware of the origin and meaning of his own user-title

Sheikh al-Majaneen
Name Checks Out On Time, Tips Chambermaid

Postby Sheikh al-Majaneen » Fri Oct 19, 2012 7:39 pm UTC

I also did warmonger, because if you are going to war you play to win (like with world war 2) or you might as well quit (like with afghanistan).

Also, what Edgar said.

Also also, war with Iran would still be the biggest mistake we have ever made.
Last edited by Sheikh al-Majaneen on Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:29 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.

sardia

Postby sardia » Fri Oct 19, 2012 7:47 pm UTC

The only thing it did was remind me of the US assets within striking distance of Iran, which is a lot. In addition, they reminded us that China may take advantage of the distraction that Iran provides. I wonder if anyone will ask about that, I doubt it. It puts into question the unlimited resources of the US and its military.

Sheikh al-Majaneen

Postby Sheikh al-Majaneen » Fri Oct 19, 2012 7:50 pm UTC

They asked for my email address and zip code. What do they get from that?

Triangle_Man
WINNING

Postby Triangle_Man » Fri Oct 19, 2012 7:56 pm UTC

Sheikh al-Majaneen wrote:They asked for my email address and zip code. What do they get from that?

It's so that they can flood you with more spam than a Monty Python sketch.
I really should be working right now, but somehow I don't have the energy.

The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:My moral system allows me to bitch slap you for typing that.

Dauric
Location: In midair, traversing laterally over a container of sharks. No water, just sharks, with lasers.

Postby Dauric » Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:46 pm UTC

The 'game' is promoted by the Truman National Security Project, who looks more like a lobbying group from their home page than any kind of independent research thinktank thing. From what I can find it's a PR organization attempting to make national security a strength for he Democratic party and remove that advantage from the Republicans.

To that end this "game" isn't a simulation of any sort, it's an interactive opinion piece. My guess is you make choices that line up with their policy goals and you get good outcomes, contradict their policy goals and you get armageddon.

Note: I'm not saying that I agree or disagree with TNSP's goals, frankly I really haven't read that deeply in to their materials to know if I agree or not, however they do have a particular policy agenda they're promoting. Any materials released by them, like this "game", have to be looked at with that context in mind. This isn't any kind of accurate policy simulation, it's an advert.
We're in the traffic-chopper over the XKCD boards where there's been a thread-derailment. A Liquified Godwin spill has evacuated threads in a fourty-post radius of the accident, Lolcats and TVTropes have broken free of their containers. It is believed that the Point has perished.

Tyndmyr

Postby Tyndmyr » Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:37 pm UTC

Yeah, calling this a sim or a game is pretty inaccurate. There's absolutely nothing to manage, just a series of slides that offer you occasional, extremely limited scripted choices. The overall message is that going to war in Iran = getting our butts kicked. To call it heavy-handed does a disservice to heavy handed messages.

Don't get me wrong...war isn't cheap, but this is mostly preaching interspersed with stock photography from the internet(did you really think nobody would notice the Oklahoma City Bombing picture? Was kind of big news). I would assume that all the "red line" nonsense at the beginning means this is some sort of "oh no, romney will kill us all" line.

I found the options so limiting as to make the entire thing pretty much garbage. The very first one is merely "first strike alone" or "first strike with allies". That's...pretty crazy.

Dark567
First one to notify the boards of Rick and Morty Season 3
Location: Everywhere(in the US, I don't venture outside it too often, unfortunately)

Postby Dark567 » Sun Oct 21, 2012 2:06 pm UTC

Man, I clicked the link hoping for something like WarGames. I was sadly disappointed.
I apologize, 90% of the time I write on the Fora I am intoxicated.

Yakk wrote:The question the thought experiment I posted is aimed at answering: When falling in a black hole, do you see the entire universe's future history train-car into your ass, or not?

Kulantan

Postby Kulantan » Sun Oct 21, 2012 2:15 pm UTC

The only way not to be disappointed is not to play.
TEAM SHIVAHN
Pretty much the best team ever

phlip wrote:(Scholars believe it is lost to time exactly which search engine Columbus preferred... though they are reasonably sure that he was an avid user of Apple Maps.)

Blog.

Beltayn

Postby Beltayn » Sun Oct 21, 2012 2:58 pm UTC

Sheikh al-Majaneen wrote:They asked for my email address and zip code. What do they get from that?

You can put in a fake email address and a random zip code and it doesn't do any verification.

Sheikh al-Majaneen

Postby Sheikh al-Majaneen » Sun Oct 21, 2012 3:21 pm UTC

Yeah it's too late for that.

No spam received yet. Which might signal something worse.

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Sun Oct 21, 2012 4:51 pm UTC

Kulantan wrote:The only way not to be disappointed is not to play.

Then Iran builds a bunch of nukes, and glasses every square inch of land within a thousand miles? :P

Also a disappointing outcome.
What would Baron Harkonnen do?

Arancaytar

Postby Arancaytar » Sun Oct 21, 2012 5:40 pm UTC

A strange game.

How about a nice game of chess?
"You cannot dual-wield the sharks. One is enough." -Our DM.

Rikeus

Postby Rikeus » Sat Nov 03, 2012 11:11 am UTC

This a pretty stand-up example of modern propaganda. I'm equal parts disheartened and impressed.

BlackSails

Postby BlackSails » Sat Nov 03, 2012 4:29 pm UTC

Is pretty blatant propaganda.

The "game" told me that I got us into an occupation that would cost 1000 american soldier lives each year.

I dont mean to sound callous, but thats honestly not very many. Its roughly equal to the number of US soldiers who die every year while not at war (eg, deaths from suicides, car crashes, drug ODs, cancer, etc). Its about the same number of people that died per hour in some civil war battles (and way less than that number for say, WWII).

sardia

Postby sardia » Sat Nov 03, 2012 7:33 pm UTC

BlackSails wrote:Is pretty blatant propaganda.

The "game" told me that I got us into an occupation that would cost 1000 american soldier lives each year.

I dont mean to sound callous, but thats honestly not very many. Its roughly equal to the number of US soldiers who die every year while not at war (eg, deaths from suicides, car crashes, drug ODs, cancer, etc). Its about the same number of people that died per hour in some civil war battles (and way less than that number for say, WWII).

Those aren't fair numbers to compare them to. If you heard that Bush got 100 soldiers killed that month, you'd be pretty pissed at the president.

Chen

Postby Chen » Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:25 pm UTC

sardia wrote:

Those aren't fair numbers to compare them to. If you heard that Bush got 100 soldiers killed that month, you'd be pretty pissed at the president.

Isn't the current death toll there something like 35k over about a year and a half? Seems 100 soldiers a month isn't a terrible cost if it were to stop the constant death going on now. Granted those are 35k deaths are THEM and the 100/month would be US so I suppose that could skew your view.

Tyndmyr

Postby Tyndmyr » Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:45 pm UTC

Well, not to mention, the game doesn't exactly give you much in the way of options for mitigating or changing that. Diplomatic options aren't really explored within it, and different options for prosecuting the war are extremely simplified to the point of ridiculousness.

Return to “News & Articles”