Thousands March on Washington Supporting the Right to Life

Seen something interesting in the news or on the intertubes? Discuss it here.

Moderators: Zamfir, Hawknc, Moderators General, Prelates

mike-l

Re: Thousands March on Washington Supporting the Right to Li

Postby mike-l » Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:31 pm UTC

Well, it's entirely possible that the people arguing about abortion fall entirely in the 43% who do know what it's about. But I'd be surprised at that. (To be honest, I don't know the details of R v W, just that it ruled that the right to an abortion is protected as a woman's right to privacy... and now I'm off to read the details)
addams wrote:This forum has some very well educated people typing away in loops with Sourmilk. He is a lucky Sourmilk.

sardia

Postby sardia » Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:45 pm UTC

If you're against abortion, you're not gonna like it. Imagine if you were hearing the details of the case as each event happened. Kinda a roller coaster ride to abortionville.

Back on topic, I kinda enjoyed watching kids get tasered and sprayed.

mike-l

Postby mike-l » Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:49 pm UTC

If I disagree with something enough to go to a rally about it, or spend significant amounts of time arguing against it, it's simply foolish of me not to look into why it is the way it is. I'm not saying it's wrong or anything, just foolish, and disappointing.

On topic, I also enjoy tasers.
addams wrote:This forum has some very well educated people typing away in loops with Sourmilk. He is a lucky Sourmilk.

sardia

Postby sardia » Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:01 pm UTC

Did you read the wiki abortion article yet?

If we get lucky, they bring out the rubber bullets and bean bag bazookas. Oh firearms, is there any problem you can't make a gun for?

fifiste

Postby fifiste » Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:12 am UTC

mike-l wrote:
Diadem wrote:
mike-l wrote:Nice to see people peacefully disagreeing with me for once.

It's only a veneer of peacefulness. People who are peacefully calling for violence against others aren't really peaceful, just pretending to be.

I don't see anything about them calling for violence. From the articles it seems they are just focused on outlawing it (though I do enjoy that almost 60% of them don't even know what Roe v Wade is)

Well if they are parading to outlaw abortion. Then on some view they are campaigning for violence against others. (For they are parading to force other persons to give birth). They themselves see that campaigning against worse violence - that of killing a person. That's the crux of the issue mostly isn't it.

I myself are in the first camp. I would say allowing of aborting fetuses who have not developed any neural activity, can in no actually sane way be described as killing an actual person. At best you could describe it as a potential person - something that if grown can have a certain chance to develop a personality. But as I wouldn't lock up everyone as potential thief/murderer/rapist - given time and certain situations you could turn up to be one! I wouldn't call flushing out a zygote killing a person - given time it might have 1/10th chance for live birth .. after which we should jail it for a chance that it might grow up a criminal :P

After further development of neural structures there gets to be more of a gray area of course. There was a post in this thread about first detectable EEG in about 22 week.
But before that there's nothing to call even gray, a lot of "pro-life" people would cry out "murder" even in the case of zygote, or morula or blastula - which is something that just has no actual conceivable material basis to it. Like none - zero - nada - zilz.

Triangle_Man
WINNING

Postby Triangle_Man » Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:19 pm UTC

Sort of reminds me of how this happened in Canada recently.

But in the case of the story, it's nice to see people being actively engaged in politics, even if I disagree with their views on the matter.

We need more of that.
I really should be working right now, but somehow I don't have the energy.

The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:My moral system allows me to bitch slap you for typing that.

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
As the Arbiter of Everything, Everything Sucks

Postby (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ » Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:13 pm UTC

Heisenberg wrote:While we usually hear stories about the crazy folks, it's important to respect the millions who engage in non-violent protest every year in support of their goals.

Nope! It's not important to respect the millions[citation needed] of people engaging in protests that would harm and disenfranchise others. How many of these peaceful protesters support organizations that are essentially anti-abortion domestic terrorists? If you think that's hyperbole go ahead and look up the activities of these groups, like Operation Rescue, and see how well they're connected to violent extremists. Basically, regardless of their purpose, the fact that a protest is 'peaceful' doesn't also make it respectable.
They're free to think that they have a point and say it all they want, cause this is America, but i sure as hell don't even have to consider respecting them. This march will get smaller and smaller until it disappears because the people who participate will wise up or die. Or most importantly, lose elections.
And thus we drag our society kicking and screaming into the Century of the Fruitbat.
Heyyy baby wanna kill all humans?

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:17 pm UTC

America! Fighting against self improvement and justice since the early 20th century.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

sardia

Postby sardia » Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:37 pm UTC

mike-l

Postby mike-l » Sat Feb 02, 2013 8:08 pm UTC

fifiste wrote:
mike-l wrote:
Diadem wrote:
mike-l wrote:Nice to see people peacefully disagreeing with me for once.

It's only a veneer of peacefulness. People who are peacefully calling for violence against others aren't really peaceful, just pretending to be.

I don't see anything about them calling for violence. From the articles it seems they are just focused on outlawing it (though I do enjoy that almost 60% of them don't even know what Roe v Wade is)

Well if they are parading to outlaw abortion. Then on some view they are campaigning for violence against others. (For they are parading to force other persons to give birth).
Fine, but it's nonetheless a more civil engagement than the usual.

Return to “News & Articles”