1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Valarya

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Valarya » Fri Jun 14, 2013 1:32 pm UTC

akacat wrote:
Valarya wrote:I'm lost in a sea of hilarity. And I found our rock molpy, only what he thought was a rock, wasn't.
Spoiler:

That is adorable. What is the passenger molpy -- a Capybara?

I have no idea... I just know it's freaking CUTE. :mrgreen:

EDIT: Guys, guys. I haven't been pope in hundreds of NPs. And do you know how tough it is to follow mscha banning the papacy and BlitzGirl with her angry pope emoticon? :?

I don't care!! I'm POPE! Have a POPE cupcake! :D :D :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Popely-Momely
I have just Landed on
Top of the Newpage its
Pope time for me.

I decree that you will
use only Dactylies
during my papacy

Come, copy me!

Last edited by Valarya on Fri Jun 14, 2013 1:40 pm UTC, edited 3 times in total.
Caridnal of Cupcakes | Friaress of Frosting | Pope of Pocket Pastries
Occasional basement dweller.

jovialbard

Postby jovialbard » Fri Jun 14, 2013 1:37 pm UTC

Oh, you know what phrase drives me nuts? In the vicinity of the Jersey Shore people say "Going down the shore" when they mean "Going to the shore".
I wrote a book exploring the nature of identity and loss of self! And another book about babies!
Also, vlog and short-story blog

xpatiate

Postby xpatiate » Fri Jun 14, 2013 1:39 pm UTC

TimeLurker wrote:
CasCat wrote:Nah, the beesnake flew off downhill. Cueball pulled at the plant a bit and it sprang back; Megan is bopping it to see it spring back (or maybe to see the seedhead break up...?). (How DO you punctuate that previous sentence, anyway???

Well, it's still violent, no?

I agree, it's not a friendly bop. I'd suspect that she is moonlighting for the Canberra Noxious Weed Elimination Squad, but like CasCat said, she's just going to distribute it further afield by waving the seedhead around. How do you "bop" a plant like that anyway? It's not like it would make a sound... :?

Edit: Sorry Valarya
I cannot take up your
dactyling challenge as
it is too far past my
coma o'clock but I've
dactyled myself into
some kind of corner here...
help...
Last edited by xpatiate on Fri Jun 14, 2013 1:46 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

tinosoph

Postby tinosoph » Fri Jun 14, 2013 1:40 pm UTC

akacat wrote:
tinosoph wrote:It's not very common in German. Only a few exceptions like Die Niederlande, die Mongolei, der Libanon or der Tschad. Oh, and die USA of course. So if you see "Die USA" printed anywhere, don't jump to the conclusion you're dealing with terrorists. Could be Germans too.

That reminds me -- why do people refer to other countries by the wrong name? Like Germany, the name is really Deutschland, right? So why do English speaking people call it Germany? It's not like it's terribly difficult to pronounce Deutschland. Nobody refers to Bach as "John Brook", so why do we do this with country names?

Well, that's a rather long story. A lot of different tribes with different names and a shattered territory of small neat states throughout history leaves many ways to label a state. Anyway, I really like the St. Matthew's Passion by John "the Beast" Brook.
i'm not new, i'm just infrequent

lmjb1964
Location: In the Present! Need to ketchup NP 2236-2280, plus NP 2026-2058 and something like 2060-2090+?.

Postby lmjb1964 » Fri Jun 14, 2013 1:51 pm UTC

k.bookbinder wrote:<snip>Has anyone yet posted links to here or here yet? If links for these articles have been posted, my apologies. But they do seem to clear things up quite nicely. Also, you can see that, since gaining independence, the Ukraine is no longer the Ukraine, as in a geographic are, but an independent entity, and so therefore is now Ukraine.

Oh, and if this had already been said, ignore it and forgive me. It is early, and a morning person I am not. But I felt compelled to reply, despite my lack of coffee, and that is never really a good idea. I will refrain from entering the conversation about y'all, except to say that, now living in the deep south, *clears throat*
A lotta ya'll sayin' stuff that would make a Southen'r *facepalm*.

Thanks for those links, bookbinder, those are helpful. They haven't been posted before.

TimeLurker wrote:I do the same thing to my wife, only I say "cray-cray" or pronounce words wrong on purpose. It drives her nuts, but I have to be careful because I've actually gotten so hooked on a couple prounounciations I'm stuck with them now.

I have a friend who does the same thing and runs into the same problem. :D

charlie_grumbles wrote:
k.bookbinder wrote:It might be a sign of migration. A lot of Canadians in South Florida will say "in hospital".

It isn't just that people migrate. Language does too. It's a small world. Someone who normally says "in the hospital" hears/reads "in hospital", likes it, picks it up. Others hear it and repeat it. It spreads. I sometimes say math and sometimes say maths, etc.

AND

lmjb1964 wrote:"The Stillers play dahntahn, about a mall from me. I'm going to the Gian Iggle in E Sliberty to buy some gum bands 'n'at."

Maybe not enough to make me want to move to Pittsburgh, but for a visit - Yes.

ETA
But just maybe it is "I'm gwan t'da Gian Iggle..."
Please confirm or deny.

Hm, well, you definitely wouldn't say "gwan," but would probably say "goin'" instead of "going." And, now that we're discussing the use of articles, I think it would probably just be, "I'm goin' t'Gian Iggle." As a side note, the Giant Eagle chain has actually used "Iggle" in some of their marketing.

Pittsburgh is a wonderful city. Has a bad rap still from its days of being all pollutey, but it has rivers and hills and trees (neat!) and Primanti Bros., where you can get a sandwich with the fries built right in.

I've never heard anyone say "in hospital." Interesting.

I'm not convinced about the fountain grass. The foliage at the bottom doesn't look quite right, not spiky enough.

Glad mscha finally filked "Wake Up Little Susie" (and nicely, too!). I was going to earlier, but I laid down on the sofa for a mini-coma and woke up six hours later. :shock:

Edited to add filk acknowledgement and, shoot, what else was I going to fix? Well, I'm going to coma. And I'm too tired to d dactyl, sorry pope/mome. :)

You helped Addams stay in her home, and gave her a better life. She thanks you, and so do I.
Imagesmiley by yappo
That's a robot but it totally counts. Image

bot by balthasar_s

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Fri Jun 14, 2013 1:58 pm UTC

lmjb1964 wrote:Glad somebody finally filked "Wake Up Little Susie" (and nicely, too!). I was going to earlier, but I laid down on the sofa for a mini-coma and woke up six hours later. :shock:
That's a lot better than waking up 6 hours earlier. It happened to me once, and the headache that came from the results of meeting myself lasted for days.
Mikeski wrote:A "What If" update is never late. Nor is it early. It is posted precisely when it should be.

patzer's signature wrote:
flicky1991 wrote:I'm being quoted too much!

he/him/his

higgs-boson

Postby higgs-boson » Fri Jun 14, 2013 2:00 pm UTC

to ImageNG or not to ImageNG

I said: "No punch back!", anyway.
Apostolic Visitator, Holiest of Holy Fun-Havers
You have questions about XKCD: "Time"? There's a whole Wiki dedicated to it!

mikro2nd

Postby mikro2nd » Fri Jun 14, 2013 2:11 pm UTC

akacat wrote:
Valarya wrote:I'm lost in a sea of hilarity. And I found our rock molpy, only what he thought was a rock, wasn't.
Spoiler:

That is adorable. What is the passenger molpy -- a Capybara?

That, my dears, is a Dassie, errr... Hyrax, err... RockmolpyN&D.
But no way in hell would Dassie RockMoply sit still for being picked up by anybody, so much to my disappointment I must abandon the Hyrax Rockmolpy hypothesis.

N&DNutritious and delicious.

ETA: Didn't see the Papal Decree, since I was replying from the previous NP... does this mean I must suffer the chocolate? Or chocolatey tasting Porter, perhaps? Or even peaty Scotch again? Oh noes!
Last edited by mikro2nd on Fri Jun 14, 2013 3:01 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.
One world, one soul
Time pass, the river rolls

ucim

Postby ucim » Fri Jun 14, 2013 2:12 pm UTC

jovialbard wrote:Oh, you know what phrase drives me nuts? In the vicinity of the Jersey Shore people say "Going down the shore" when they mean "Going to the shore".
They are going down to the shore.

Missingly wissingly
Words so invisible
haunt many phrases and
work their kung-fu.

My explanation is
Jersey folk lazily
zombificationize
poor little "to"

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Heartfelt thanks from addams and from me - you really made a difference.

charlie_grumbles

Postby charlie_grumbles » Fri Jun 14, 2013 2:12 pm UTC

jovialbard wrote:Oh, you know what phrase drives me nuts? In the vicinity of the Jersey Shore people say "Going down the shore" when they mean "Going to the shore".

I don't know if it is similar, but in New England (not The New England) and especially Maine, one says Down East to indicate the north eastern region of the state near the Atlantic, or even Maine itself. The Down in Down East refers to down-wind. The winds are normally from the south-west, so you sailed down wind to reach Maine from Boston. So Going "Down Maine" or "Down East" became common.
Lurking. Watching. Thinking. Writing. Waiting.
-- Charlie Grumbles

lmjb1964
Location: In the Present! Need to ketchup NP 2236-2280, plus NP 2026-2058 and something like 2060-2090+?.

Postby lmjb1964 » Fri Jun 14, 2013 2:16 pm UTC

Neil_Boekend wrote:
lmjb1964 wrote:Glad somebody finally filked "Wake Up Little Susie" (and nicely, too!). I was going to earlier, but I laid down on the sofa for a mini-coma and woke up six hours later. :shock:
That's a lot better than waking up 6 hours earlier. It happened to me once, and the headache that came from the results of meeting myself lasted for days.

:D

Ok, I said I was going to coma, but wanted to post this first. I was listening to my Monkees greatest hits tape (yep, cassette), and came up with the following. I think this song has been filked before, but I don't think there are rules against double filking. Are there?

(To the tune of "Hey hey, we're the Monkees.")
Spoiler:
Here we come
Walkin' down the street.
I bet if Cuegan should see us
They'll tell us that we're "neat."

Hey hey, we're the molpies
People say we molpy around
But we're just following Cuegan
To find out were they are bound.

In the air,
Or crawling in the grass,
Maybe up in the treetops
Or on a mountain pass

They're just tryin' to be friendly,
But we don't know what they will do.
If Cuegan ever get hungry
They might put us in a stew.

You helped Addams stay in her home, and gave her a better life. She thanks you, and so do I.
Imagesmiley by yappo
That's a robot but it totally counts. Image

bot by balthasar_s

jovialbard

Postby jovialbard » Fri Jun 14, 2013 2:23 pm UTC

In order to satisfy the papal demands I present my double dactyl:

DD
DD
DD
X
DD
DD
DD
X

Ok, so I just took the meter of a double dactyl and translated it from morse code... it was less interesting than I thought it might be.
I wrote a book exploring the nature of identity and loss of self! And another book about babies!

jovialbard

Postby jovialbard » Fri Jun 14, 2013 2:25 pm UTC

lmjb1964 wrote:<snip>I think this song has been filked before, but I don't think there are rules against double filking. Are there?<snip>

Nope, "Blackbird" by the Beatles has been done twice. Nice work by the way. Now I'm off to finally look up the definition and etymology of filk...

edit:
drattily damndilly
double post once again
how can I manage it
so many times

oh well I hope i can
make up for it with one
more double dactyl to
make you forgive

edit2: "I do not think that word means what you think it means." Apparently filk is a genre of folk sci-fi/fantasy music. A verb has evolved meaning to parody a given song in the filk style, but not all parody songs are filk. However these aren't merely parody songs, but specifically fanfic parodies. Would filk then be appropriate? Is Time sci-fi/fantasy? Or is it just a fictional narrative? Are all fanfic musical parodies considered filk?
Last edited by jovialbard on Fri Jun 14, 2013 2:35 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Valarya

Postby Valarya » Fri Jun 14, 2013 2:31 pm UTC

k.bookbinder wrote:I will refrain from entering the conversation about y'all, except to say that, now living in the deep south, *clears throat*

Your perfect version of
Southerly dialect
Sounded quite normal to
    these ears of mine.

I also live in the
SouthernUnitedStates
Hearing all uses of
    ya'll all the time.

Sippin that whiskey and
spittin tobaccy these
identifiable
    people have charm.

If you don't live 'round here
I can see how it might
not sound like English and
    cause you alarm.
Last edited by Valarya on Fri Jun 14, 2013 3:24 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

ZoomanSP
Location: Twelve days north of the Othercomic threads, and a few degrees south of complete insanity. (©yappo)

Postby ZoomanSP » Fri Jun 14, 2013 2:32 pm UTC

akacat wrote:
pelrigg wrote:Welcome to both you jmieztis and wizpretz. Welcome and grab a stool or rock and join in. We don't bite. (Except for the cake.)

Hang on, the cake bites?! Why haven't we been warned of this before?!?

Cakily wakily
papal decree says that
posts must be dactylized
here on this page.

This is my first attempt
so if I got it wrong
conciliationwise
please, have this cake:
Spoiler:
Wait on.

Spoiler:
Kieryn wrote:They have a culture involving hat wearing. What kind of a collective would come up with such a thing!?
BlitzGirl wrote:I'll get the razor and finish off Occam while we're at it.
ucim / Megan wrote:"It can do whatever it wants. It's the OTT."

mscha

Postby mscha » Fri Jun 14, 2013 2:34 pm UTC

Molpity bolpity
It's just a beesnake, but
still it is something to
    animate. Here:

Plants aren't molpies, but
this one is drawn very
animate-worthily.
    Here it is too:

List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Fri Jun 14, 2013 2:37 pm UTC

mikro2nd wrote:That, my dears, is a Dassie, errr... Hyrax, err... RockmolpyN&D.

N&DNutritious and delicious.

Presumably also expeditious. Has your family tried them?
See, to the music-obsessed, everything links to a song :oops:
https://app.box.com/witthoftresume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

mscha

Postby mscha » Fri Jun 14, 2013 2:45 pm UTC

lmjb1964 wrote:(To the tune of "Hey hey, we're the Monkees.")
Spoiler:
Here we come
Walkin' down the street.

In the air,
Maybe up in the treetops
Or on a mountain pass

Lovely! Image
I don't think it's been done before; it's not listed in the OTW, in any case. (Not that it would be a problem if it had been done, we can never have too many filks.)
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

Earthling on Mars
Morning

Postby Earthling on Mars » Fri Jun 14, 2013 2:58 pm UTC

BlueCrab wrote:
jovialbard wrote:
ucim wrote:No, "y'all" is singular. The plural is "all y'all"
I think you mean ambiguous. Y'all refers to a select group which could be singular or plural e.g. "How y'all doin". All y'all is always plural and refers to a general group, or everyone within ear shot "All y'all listen up now".
Edit: Of course there's also "yous guys" if you're in the vicinity of New Jersey.

“Y'all” grates on my nerves largely because it's used incorrectly so often. If the phrase “you all” can be properly substituted, then “y'all” is a correct dialect-specific second-person plural.
But I really can't stand it when “y'all” is used by people from outside of the “y'all” zone. I will not tolerate my children using the term, and I try to, um, discourage my Wisconsinite man from using it as well. (Of course, this leads to him trying to fit “y'all” into sentences as many times as he can, but if he gets too silly he laughs so hard that he can't breathe, so it's a self-limiting irritation :wink:)
On the other hand, American English really needs a second-person plural. “Y'all” is already entrenched in much of the country, but I've been waging a campaign for the use of “youse” for a few years now. :lol:

Will there ever be a post I don't want to edit? Don't know if anyone's remembered to say it yet, so: goodnight, Mrs. MobTeeseBoose!

Yeah, I occasionally use y'all in a humorous way, too. And "youse"... fine, but please spell it "yous". It's "you" plus the plural "s". Why would you add an e?

Greatly enjoying The Last Time Waiter, and AluisioASG's new avatar. :D

AluisioASG wrote:I wonder... am I the only active long story writer here?
What happened to the others?

Yeah, hopefully the next chapter of the Dark Lord should be coming in the next couple of days...

mikro2nd

Postby mikro2nd » Fri Jun 14, 2013 3:03 pm UTC

ONGwards and upwards
One world, one soul

ergman

Postby ergman » Fri Jun 14, 2013 3:05 pm UTC

Bipitty boppity
With M-scha's gif of thee
I can now clearer see
That plant's assault
Bitch slapped across the head
Desensitization
To the cruel Megan, though
It's all her fault!
I made my avatar, Buffygirl hatted it, Yappo smileyed it and ggh taroted it!
I've changed, witnessing this thing so beautiful

Good luck on blitzing, katakissa, username5243, musthavebeenmykarma, iskinner, thunk, GnomeAnne, and quantized ! Keep the signposts coming, we love em in the now!

k.bookbinder

Postby k.bookbinder » Fri Jun 14, 2013 3:06 pm UTC

lmjb1964 wrote:Ok, I said I was going to coma, but wanted to post this first. I was listening to my Monkees greatest hits tape (yep, cassette), and came up with the following. I think this song has been filked before, but I don't think there are rules against double filking. Are there?

(To the tune of "Hey hey, we're the Monkees.")
Spoiler:
Here we come
Walkin' down the street.

In the air,
Maybe up in the treetops
Or on a mountain pass

This...is..AWEFULSOMEFUL! I loved this song when I was very young. I can even remember reruns of The Monkees on TV, and singing along to the song. Wonderful!!

Valarya wrote:
k.bookbinder wrote:I will refrain from entering the conversation about y'all, except to say that, now living in the deep south, *clears throat*

Your perfect version of
Southerly dialect
Sounded quite normal to
these ears of mine.

I also live in the
SouthernUnitedStates
Hearing all uses of
ya'll all the time.

Sippin that whiskey and
spittin tobaccy these
identifiable
people have charm.

If you don't live 'round here
I can see how it might
not sound like English and
cause you alarm.

I shall have to ask for Papal forgiveness, for I just do not possess the talent, such as this, to converse double dactyly :oops:
"HAL9000" This thread is a goldmine for signatures.
"StratPlayer" All in all, that sand paper rubbed me the wrong way.
"charlie_grumbles" The secret of the geeks. "Copy, Borrow, Steal, Succeed"
"ucim" There's a forestful of treeish people here.

Image Welcome! Confused? See here.

HES

Postby HES » Fri Jun 14, 2013 3:12 pm UTC

K-K-K-K-K-KETCHUP BREAKFAST

pelrigg wrote:There's a filk song page on the Wiki if you're curious.

Decidedly incomplete, at least in that it doesn't include the works of a certain hatted hamster Image

pelrigg wrote:zI'm more of a Randallversian (spelling?) myself.

Is it possible to misspell an invented word?

Neil_Boekend wrote:
higgs-boson wrote:
Flotter wrote:According to the BBC, it's mainly a historical thing. "The Ukraine" might be short for "The Ukrainian Soviet Socialist Republic", but that doesn't exist anymore and the official name of the country is now just "Ukraine".

It's "The Netherlands", too, isn't it?

Yes, although none here will look funny at you if you call it Nederland, for that's what we call it ourselves.

So where does "Holland" come in to all this?

CasCat wrote:(How DO you punctuate that previous sentence, anyway???)

) would be a good start :twisted: oh, I mean... Image

Hasn't the papacy been disbanded at least twice now?
He/Him/His Image

ucim

Postby ucim » Fri Jun 14, 2013 3:13 pm UTC

Earthling on Mars wrote:Yeah, I occasionally use y'all in a humorous way, too. And "youse"... fine, but please spell it "yous". It's "you" plus the plural "s". Why would you add an e?
So that it doesn't get pronounced "yaoowzs".

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Heartfelt thanks from addams and from me - you really made a difference.

Flado
Location: Lost in Time on NP 1084/1947; Schizoblitzed NP1156-1170

Postby Flado » Fri Jun 14, 2013 3:25 pm UTC

Hi FutureFolk! Here's a quick shout from the past to explain why I'm so far behind and brag about my devotion to the OTT: this week, I watched an entire TV show (14 episodes) and a movie just to be able to fully appreciate Eternal Density's avatar. Top that!
Patriarch of the Western Paradox Church (ret'd)
-
All the stars are dust on my screen -- Marsh'n
The best computer game is a compiler. -- Exodies
I thought I was wrong, but it turned out I was mistaken. -- ucim
You have to grow older. You need not grow up. -- bmonk

fhorn

Postby fhorn » Fri Jun 14, 2013 3:32 pm UTC

Youse-illy snoozily
Card'nal of cupcakes has
Mome-ally asked for a
d-dactyl, huh?

Netherlands and Ukraine
Even ol' USA
Quite inexplicably
Carry the "the"
"...or I shall have to find Chekov myself, and shoot him with his own damn gun" - k.bookbinder
unteaching is the hardest teaching

Exodies

Postby Exodies » Fri Jun 14, 2013 3:44 pm UTC

mikro2nd wrote:
Dracomax wrote:only CUegan and possibly Blitzgirl get their whiskey "neat"

As long as I can get mine Peaty :wink:

*passes the Laphroaig* get that down yer neck.
Ware2 guv? The Book of Dave

ZoomanSP
Location: Twelve days north of the Othercomic threads, and a few degrees south of complete insanity. (©yappo)

Postby ZoomanSP » Fri Jun 14, 2013 3:47 pm UTC

HES wrote:
Spoiler:
Neil_Boekend wrote:
higgs-boson wrote:
Flotter wrote:According to the BBC, it's mainly a historical thing. "The Ukraine" might be short for "The Ukrainian Soviet Socialist Republic", but that doesn't exist anymore and the official name of the country is now just "Ukraine".

It's "The Netherlands", too, isn't it?

Yes, although none here will look funny at you if you call it Nederland, for that's what we call it ourselves.
So where does "Holland" come in to all this?

Piggedy freddegy
Lil' hatted hamster has
Here in this quoted post
Asked 'bout a word.

Holland is singular
So it's not said with "the".
NetherlandsHollandDutch?
Here is a link.
Wait on.

Spoiler:
Kieryn wrote:They have a culture involving hat wearing. What kind of a collective would come up with such a thing!?
BlitzGirl wrote:I'll get the razor and finish off Occam while we're at it.
ucim / Megan wrote:"It can do whatever it wants. It's the OTT."

Ray Kremer

Postby Ray Kremer » Fri Jun 14, 2013 3:49 pm UTC

Valarya wrote:
Ray Kremer wrote:You would say the Rocky Mountains are in Colorado, but not Rocky Mountains are in the Colorado. California is on the coast of the Pacific Ocean, but not the California is on the coast of Pacific Ocean. My guess is it has to do with the common noun. Even if you're using "the Hudson" for short the unspoken "River" is understood, and you have to use "the" for "river". Same for "the Rockies". Although, the same doesn't hold true for street names. You go down the street but you go down Maple Street.

Colorado and California have that common identifier, though; it just isn't placed after the proper noun, but before. The Rocky Mountains are in the state of California.

That did occur to me before and I almost mentioned it. Also note that "of" suddenly appears when using that construction, which probably has something to do with it.

Another one: It's the king or the President, but it's King George or President Washington.

ergman wrote:Does anyone think there's some significance to the molpies that Cuegan has interacted with to the plot/puzzle? I notice they've been helpful in discerning the location so far.

I think there's a certain element of throwing in little things like that in order to make the comic drag on for as long as possible. Also why it takes on the order of five frames newpix to walk across a single image. Rather than the traditional expediency of storytelling, the main point here is that we must wait for it. That gives it a singular uniqueness and audacity, I think, which is the main appeal.

jovialbard wrote:"I do not think that word means what you think it means." Apparently filk is a genre of folk sci-fi/fantasy music. A verb has evolved meaning to parody a given song in the filk style, but not all parody songs are filk. However these aren't merely parody songs, but specifically fanfic parodies. Would filk then be appropriate? Is Time sci-fi/fantasy? Or is it just a fictional narrative? Are all fanfic musical parodies considered filk?

It's an example of definitions changing as time goes on and the word spreads beyond its original audience. I think filk (modification of "folk" as in folk music) was originally any little song that sci-fi nerds made up to amuse themselves. No doubt there were far more of these that were parodies of existing songs than were original compositions, so eventually that became the primary meaning.

charlie_grumbles

Postby charlie_grumbles » Fri Jun 14, 2013 4:06 pm UTC

bush-ONG
Lurking. Watching. Thinking. Writing. Waiting.
-- Charlie Grumbles

mikro2nd

Postby mikro2nd » Fri Jun 14, 2013 4:12 pm UTC

Exodies wrote:
mikro2nd wrote:
Dracomax wrote:only CUegan and possibly Blitzgirl get their whiskey "neat"

As long as I can get mine Peaty :wink:

*passes the Laphroaig* get that down yer neck.

My favorite. Thank you. Thank you!

ETA: Note to self - If I ever attain Papal status (unlikely as that seems) I believe I might decree Laphroaig to be an Inquisitional Instrument of Punishment.
One world, one soul

Valarya

Postby Valarya » Fri Jun 14, 2013 4:21 pm UTC

I love all the dactylies, preciouses. <3

I hereby decree that you no longer need to write them, as I have been fulfilled. However, for the remainder of this papacy, you can post non-heretical cupcakes if you so please.

To pay homage to a past pope.. here's a lemonade cupcake.

TimeLurker

Postby TimeLurker » Fri Jun 14, 2013 4:51 pm UTC

Random post time.

I had a dream the other night that I met Kieryn in real life. I walked by him sitting at a computer and saw him working on a Time project. It was like the little prickly72. Anyway, I'm sure this doesn't mean anything weird or anything, it's just that your avatar is an actual picture and easier to translate into real life.

That is all. As you were.
72really neat
Voice of the Silent
Owner of the contents of Cueball's head
Lurking Time-Ninja of the Past-Post

Montov

Postby Montov » Fri Jun 14, 2013 4:51 pm UTC

Why would anyone punch a plant?

Wildhound

Postby Wildhound » Fri Jun 14, 2013 5:03 pm UTC

DISAPPEARONG

Now and forever, a staunch TimeKeeper amongst heretics.

OTC Android Live Wallpaper

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Fri Jun 14, 2013 5:10 pm UTC

Montov wrote:Why would anyone punch a plant?

Too easy: to get some Planter's Punch.
https://app.box.com/witthoftresume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

kenmelken

Postby kenmelken » Fri Jun 14, 2013 5:12 pm UTC

SBN wrote:
kenmelken wrote:I for one love y'all. Oh, and the word "y'all" as well...

EDIT: Whoa... right after I posted this, my phone's Dictionary.com app pushed me the new word of the day:

diglossia: the widespread existence within a society of sharply divergent formal and informal varieties of a language each used in different social contexts

IT'S ALL RELATED!

I'm going to use your post for the apology the power outage stole from me yesterday. I was unduly harsh on teen-speak, and didn't mean to be. Teen-speak is as appropriate in the habitat of teens as Time-speak is here. Where problems arise is using either outside the proper context. I was wrong to assume that a teen that uses brevs wouldn't know plethera, but said teens would be wise to know that such could happen. Just because it is the listener in the wrong, doesn't mean the speaker won't suffer from the wrongness. (Which is to say, don't use slang in a job interview.)

Blindposting from a NP back: I wasn't offended and didn't think you were that angry anyway. :P I brought up the brevs in the first place because they are quite silly and cause mixed reactions.
In Svithjod, there stands a rock. It is 100 miles high and 100 miles wide. Once every 1000 years a little bird comes to this rock to sharpen its beak. One time, I changed just the last sentence of this signature, and lots of you noticed. Image

jovialbard

Postby jovialbard » Fri Jun 14, 2013 5:14 pm UTC

And now for something completely different.

A short story! Someone mentioned a lack of long-form writers, and while this isn't long form perhaps it will slate your thirst for fanfic, if only briefly.

Spoiler:
Megan brushed the dust off as she settled down on the edge of a ridge. Her body was sore all over, but the good kind, the kind that tells you you've had a day worth living. She gazed out over the land before her, the journey she had taken so far, from the tall trees to the rolling dunes and down to the sea, glistening in the ruddy glow of the setting sun.

“It really is beautiful.” Cue said as he lowered himself onto the ridge beside her.

“Yeah” Megan replied turning to look at him. “Why have we never gone this far before? It's amazing.”

“I don’t know” Cue said and then seemed to laugh. “I guess I can add that to the list.”

“We can’t see the sandcastle from here... I wonder how much is left.” Megan’s voice was sad as she pictured the walls of the castle collapsing. Then, without warning, she seemed happy again.

“What are you thinking?” Cue asked, genuinely curious.

“Oh, I’m remembering flinging rocks, and building scaffolds, and that central tower you made the looked like the rest of the sandcastle, only smaller. That was neat. It’s better to remember the good times than to think about what was lost.”

“Yeah... that’s true.”

"And anyway, there's always more new things, and there couldn't be new things if all you had was old things all the time." Megan turned and looked at Cue. She realized then that on this whole long trip she had never been lonely. Cue claimed to not know a lot, but he was pretty smart.

“It’s cold up here, and the wind is getting chilly.” Cue observed rubbing his arms.

Megan looked around and noticed an outcropping of rock not far away. “We could go over there, that might protect us from the wind a little.”

“Yeah.” Cue replied, and they walked in silence to the shelter of stone. They walked in silence a lot, Megan realized. She wasn’t sure why, there were so many amazing things around to talk about. But maybe that was it, being so absorbed in their surroundings they didn’t have time for conversation. Even if they did she almost felt like idle chatter would ruin the magic in the air. In all honesty, she realized she didn’t even mind the silence. She wasn’t alone and it was just nice to have Cue with her, to see this world together.

They reached the outcropping of rock and dumped their bags on the ground. They ate some berries, but their packs were getting lighter. As the cold of night settled in they shivered against the rock.

“At least it’s not windy here.” Cue observed again. “But it’s still pretty cold.”

Megan though for a moment, watching Cue hug his own body for warmth. “Maybe if we got closer we could keep each other warm.”

Cue seemed to think for a moment and said “Yeah, that makes sense.”

Megan scooted herself along the hard rock and leaned against Cue. It was warmer this way. “I wonder what we’ll see tomorrow.” She mused.

Cue tilted his head slightly and said “I don’t know, I guess we’ll just have to wait and see.”

“Yeah.” Megan yawned as she closed her eyes. She felt Cue stirring next her as she remembered the cute little spiky creature they had met that day. She smiled to herself as she drifted off to sleep.
Last edited by jovialbard on Fri Jun 14, 2013 5:25 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

TimeLurker

Postby TimeLurker » Fri Jun 14, 2013 5:22 pm UTC

jovialbard wrote:And now for something completely different.

A short story! Someone mentioned a lack of long-form writers, and while this isn't long form perhaps it will slate your thirst for fanfic, if only briefly.

Spoiler:
Megan brushed the dust off as she settled down on the edge of a ridge. Her body was sore all over, but the good kind, the kind that tells you you've had a day worth living. She gazed out over the land before her, the journey she had taken so far, from the tall trees to the rolling dunes and down the the sea, glistening in the ruddy glow of the setting sun.

“It really is beautiful.” Cue said as he lowered himself onto the ridge beside her.

“Yeah” Megan replied turning to look at him. “Why have we never gone this far before? It's amazing.”

“I don’t know” Cue said and then seemed to laugh. “I guess I can add that to the list.”

“We can’t see the sandcastle from here... I wonder how much is left.” Megan’s voice was sad as she pictured the walls of the castle collapsing. Then, without warning, she seemed happy again.

“What are you thinking?” Cue asked, genuinely curious.

“Oh, I’m remembering flinging rocks, and building scaffolds, and that central tower you made the looked like the rest of the sandcastle, only smaller. That was neat. It’s better to remember the good times than to think about what was lost.”

“Yeah... that’s true.”

"And anyway, there's always more new things, and there couldn't be new things if all you had was old things all the time." Megan turned and looked at Cue. She realized then that on this whole long trip she had never been lonely. Cue claimed to not know a lot, but he was pretty smart.

“It’s cold up here, and the wind is getting chilly.” Cue observed rubbing his arms.

Megan looked around and noticed an outcropping of rock not far away. “We could go over there, that might protect us from the wind a little.”

“Yeah.” Cue replied, and they walked in silence to the shelter of stone. They walked in silence a lot, Megan realized. She wasn’t sure why, there were so many amazing things around to talk about. But maybe that was it, being so absorbed in their surroundings they didn’t have time for conversation. Even if they did she almost felt like idle chatter would ruin the magic in the air. In all honesty, she realized she didn’t even mind the silence. She wasn’t alone and it was just nice to have Cue with her, to see this world together.

They reached the outcropping of rock and dumped their bags on the ground. They ate some berries, but their packs were getting lighter. As the cold of night settled in they shivered against the rock.

“At least it’s not windy here.” Cue observed again. “But it’s still pretty cold.”

Megan though for a moment, watching Cue hug his own body for warmth. “Maybe if we got closer we could keep each other warm.”

Cue seemed to think for a moment and said “Yeah, that makes sense.”

Megan scooted herself along the hard rock and leaned against Cue. It was warmer this way. “I wonder what we’ll see tomorrow.” She mused.

Cue tilted his head slightly and said “I don’t know, I guess we’ll just have to wait and see.”

“Yeah.” Megan yawned as she closed her eyes. She felt Cue stirring next her as she remembered the cute little spiky creature they had met that day. She smiled to herself as she drifted off to sleep.

Wow! Amazing! Awesomeful! Neat!

And are we all hopeless romantics here? It seems that we all so desperately want Cuegan to be an item.
Voice of the Silent
Owner of the contents of Cueball's head
Lurking Time-Ninja of the Past-Post

AluisioASG
Location: Flowing into places that are comfortable for it to flow

Postby AluisioASG » Fri Jun 14, 2013 5:25 pm UTC

jovialbard wrote:And now for something completely different.

That was me. And by the way, while I read your story, you can read mine!

The Last Time Waiter, chapter 6: It Lives!, part 2

Spoiler:
The Engineer wrote:I still don't know why he doesn't speak. I performed all the tests, and they were all successful. He should be able to speak.

Tèrag wrote:Maybe he doesn't want to.

Because I have faster and better ways to transfer information. Let me show you.

The Engineer wrote:He… Michael, did you do that?

Who else would know that?

The Engineer wrote:Amazing! You are capable of direct thought transfer! That wasn't in the specifications!

Tèrag wrote:What do you mean?

The Engineer wrote:He is evolving, Tèrag. He is evolving.

From the way my creator is smiling, I suppose this is a good thing.

The Engineer wrote:You know your specifications, right, Michael? What else can you do that is not defined there?

Well, I think this is just a consequence of the specifications, but anyway, I've found I can change my body's shape, so for example, I can become just like you.

The Engineer wrote:Magnificent. I feel like I'm facing my pièce de résistance.

Tèrag wrote:Shouldn't we be training he to do what he has been created for?

The Engineer wrote:Right, right. Michael, please return to your original form. Let's begin.

Oh, and I'm open to suggestions. What should happen on the rest of this chapter? And on the next? on the next chapter?

EDIT: I realized Tèrag's reminder bring us to the next chapter. Gimme a couple minutes and I'll end this one.
Selecting new quote…
Can't see addams on the right? Message me!Image

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”