1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

AluisioASG
Location: Flowing into places that are comfortable for it to flow

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby AluisioASG » Sun Jun 16, 2013 12:02 am UTC

Publishing The Last Time Waiter, chapter 8: Come and See, part 2 now. I want you to get ready to what comes next.
Especially you, BlitzGirl. Unless you'd spent the last few centuries cryogenically frozen in a sleeper ship ;)

Spoiler:
And when he got to the roof, he became horrified.

Thousands of dragons resembling Michael were flying over and destroying the city. The bursts caused by their plasma cannons melted the metal of which most of the buildings were made of, critically damaging them. They also started fires everywhere; the city was a living hell.

While sounding the alarm and enabling the escape routes, his thoughts turned to the thing he most treasured on this world — Tèrag. “She will certainly go to the escape routes alongside everyone else”, he hoped. He then went to the ground floor to deactivate one of the most powerful and dangerous things on Halcyon: the Southeast Reactor.

The eight Reactors installed through the city provided all the energy it required, as well as to part of the Northern Lights' integrated transport system and its south branch. They were designed to survive fire, but not a direct plasma shot, which could melt the containment vessel and… well, no one knew what would happen in this case, given that technology had come from the other side of Arkhmud. The only answer their scientists had sent were “Don't. Ever. Do. That.” It was known, however, that the risks of whatever would happen happening were almost inexistent if the reactor wasn't in operation.

Raghnall quickly reached the ground floor and the reactor's controls, and was about to to shut it down.

Hallo, night-less boy. Wanna take a look at this cute hare we found?

The Engineer froze. The Archduchess shouldn't be there, unless… she was part of the attack. And he had a guess on which hare she was talking about. He prayed to to be wrong. And turned around.

Papal decree: 1) wait for it, 2) discuss the significance of this last frame, and 3) review my chapter.
Pick 2 or 3 of these.
ETA: Oh, 4) where's my hat?
Selecting new quote…
Can't see addams on the right? Message me!Image

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Sun Jun 16, 2013 12:09 am UTC

Ooh, that was exciting! And ooh, evil BlitzGirl!
OTTscars results Pt. 2 coming... eventually, but not from me. Seeking writer.
English Instrumentalist Waterottermolpy
Mighty Troubadour of the OTT

Ximenez

Postby Ximenez » Sun Jun 16, 2013 12:10 am UTC

spamjam wrote:Sneaking up beesnake!

I (long-time lurker) dare to predict it will become a facebug.

AluisioASG

Postby AluisioASG » Sun Jun 16, 2013 12:12 am UTC

This wait is killing me.
Make your mind, Megball!
Selecting new quote…

mscha

Postby mscha » Sun Jun 16, 2013 12:12 am UTC

1) Wait for it...
2) “Ooh, beesnake!” Maybe they'll forget wat they were talking about and just start following it.
3) Exciting! Can't wait for it the next installment.
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Sun Jun 16, 2013 12:13 am UTC

AluisioASG wrote:This wait is killing me.

Blasphemy, surely!

Just...
Spoiler:
Don't be hasty, young hobbit

BlitzGirl
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Sun Jun 16, 2013 12:16 am UTC

My review: BEST. CHAPTER. YET. Fly, my pretties, fly!
*eagerly Waits for more*

yappobiscuits wrote:
edo wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:Episode VII*: Disney Buys XKCD[/b]
*and all subsequent sequels

NO! NO! It can't be true! NO! It's not possible! NOOOOO!

Spoiler:
'Fraid so :P

Image In keeping with the evil theme, here's a mini song parody, to the tune of the Mickey Mouse Club March:

D-I-S-N-E-Y buys X-K-C-D

The worst thing that could happen
To all Time is clear to see:
D-I-S-N-E-Y buys X-K-C-D
Molpies walk on two legs
And converse with you and me
D-I-S-N-E-Y buys X-K-C-D

Disney buys!
X-KCD!
It won't be long until we wish to
Die! Die! Die! Die!

Grab your sacks, let's make some tracks
And flee the corporate Sea!
D-I-S-N-E-Y buys X-K-C-D!
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

ggh

Postby ggh » Sun Jun 16, 2013 12:20 am UTC

The impossible colour thing is a bit contrived I think. I mean, that red-green doesn't strike me as that different from the red-green you'd see if you watched a gif that flashed between red and green, or a red and green striped image. You're seeing red and you're seeing green, and because you've overlayed them spatially using your two eyes, your brain is being confronted with both colours at once, but your brain gets a lot of stuff like that thrown at it.

What's a little more interesting to me is the colours you can get yourself to see if you mess with your eyes slightly. The cone that responds primarily to green has a range that is completely overlapped by the other cones, firefox, there is no wavelength that stimulates the green cones only. But you can get to see what such a wavelength would look like by turning off your red cones, which isn't that hard to mostly do. Lay in the sun with your eyes closed, looking at the bright red coming through your closed eyelids. After a while, open your eyes and look at something green. Hypergreen!

Chronosdragon, how is your stereo vision in general? Can you see 3D movies okay?

I can't do it until I get the MacBook working again, but what might be cool to do in stereo is the slices where they walked along the delta.
Last edited by ggh on Sun Jun 16, 2013 12:28 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Requested a magnet? I'm sorry I'm so super-slow, but you will get it
Agatha the Awesomeful

In a Comically Tragic Turn of Events Addams Didn't Die. Please help. (Wait, does that sound like I want you to kill addams?)

ttscp

Postby ttscp » Sun Jun 16, 2013 12:21 am UTC

Ximenez wrote:
spamjam wrote:Sneaking up beesnake!

I (long-time lurker) dare to predict it will become a facebug.

Its trail suggests it's moving pretty fast. Maybe a faceimplantbug?
Always act to increase the survival chances of the largest group you are a part of.

PoeticFoxOfTime

Postby PoeticFoxOfTime » Sun Jun 16, 2013 12:23 am UTC

Time has come for me to post I have viewed all of Time and have finally reached the present I have waited to make myself known so that I may not be from the past this may be all you hear of me but know I'm watching time and the forum that connects it as a lurker. May you wait quickly for Time!

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Sun Jun 16, 2013 12:24 am UTC

AluisioASG wrote:ETA: Oh, 4) where's my hat?

*shrugs* You'll have to ask Vytron; he's the new official OTTerHatter.

I wonder if Cuegan is going to change the subject and talk about the beesnake, or continue to stare at each other stubbornly?
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Sun Jun 16, 2013 12:24 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:D-I-S-N-E-Y buys X-K-C-D
Spoiler:
D-I-S-N-E-Y buys X-K-C-D
Molpies walk on two legs
D-I-S-N-E-Y buys X-K-C-D

Disney buys!
X-KCD!
Die! Die! Die! Die!

:lol: :lol:

AluisioASG

Postby AluisioASG » Sun Jun 16, 2013 12:29 am UTC

yappobiscuits wrote:

Blasphemy, surely!

I'm waiting, but I'm dying too.
Think about it.

EDIT:
BlitzGirl wrote:I wonder if Cuegan is going to change the subject and talk about the beesnake, or continue to stare at each other stubbornly?

Maybe the conflict was too much for them and they broke.

BlitzGirl wrote:Image
D-I-S-N-E-Y buys X-K-C-D
<snip>

I guess everyone forgot about this; I don't remember ever seeing it here:
Last edited by AluisioASG on Sun Jun 16, 2013 12:34 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Selecting new quote…

mscha

Postby mscha » Sun Jun 16, 2013 12:33 am UTC

yappobiscuits wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:D-I-S-N-E-Y buys X-K-C-D
Spoiler:
D-I-S-N-E-Y buys X-K-C-D
Molpies walk on two legs
D-I-S-N-E-Y buys X-K-C-D

Disney buys!
X-KCD!
Die! Die! Die! Die!

:lol: :lol:

Or perhaps more accurately: Image Image
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Sun Jun 16, 2013 12:41 am UTC

AluisioASG wrote:
yappobiscuits wrote:

Blasphemy, surely!

Think about it.

Life is nothing more than a long and fatal Wait.
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

AluisioASG

Postby AluisioASG » Sun Jun 16, 2013 12:44 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:
AluisioASG wrote:
yappobiscuits wrote:

Blasphemy, surely!

Think about it.

So…
We are waiting for it while we wait?
Selecting new quote…

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Sun Jun 16, 2013 12:45 am UTC

AluisioASG wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:
AluisioASG wrote:
yappobiscuits wrote:

Blasphemy, surely!

Think about it.

So…
We are waiting for it while we wait?

Yo Dawg...

ergman

Postby ergman » Sun Jun 16, 2013 12:45 am UTC

1) Steady as she goes
2) You can just see the mild disagreement on their 'faces' as they glance in each other's general direction
3) great chapter. Only thing: it sounds a little weird when the engineer calls Tehrag (spelling?) his most important thing.
Also
BlitzGirl wrote:
AluisioASG wrote:
yappobiscuits wrote:

Blasphemy, surely!

Think about it.

Race To The Grave!
I made my avatar, Buffygirl hatted it, Yappo smileyed it and ggh taroted it!
I've changed, witnessing this thing so beautiful

Good luck on blitzing, katakissa, username5243, musthavebeenmykarma, iskinner, thunk, GnomeAnne, and quantized ! Keep the signposts coming, we love em in the now!

Angelastic

Postby Angelastic » Sun Jun 16, 2013 12:56 am UTC

So much awesome in this thread since I was last in the present… so many things I wanted to respond to, but it's a good thing I've forgotten them because they'd make the thread even harder for those behind me to ketchup. I do remember I wanted to link to Grammar Girl's episode on country names and 'the' and mention that someone (possibly my German teacher) said that the reason Switzerland has a 'the' in German is that it's short for the Swiss Confederation. Also, some people's names are translated; Jean-Sébastien Bach, for example. Maybe whoever mentioned that his name wasn't translated knew that and was subtly referring to it.

spamjam wrote:I'll have some coffee with my cup cake.
Spoiler:

If you spill tea cake or coffee cake from out of your cupcake, use a sponge cake to soak it up.

DImageuble dactyls:

I mentioned as soon as the double-dactyls came up that I read them to a tune, and this caused me to mess up my attempt at one (without reading the rules) because the tune (or, subconsciously, whatever song the tune came from) suggested more rhymes than were actually necessary.

LegImages:

I find it interesting that there seem to be two separate arguments going on surrounding Lego; one that since Lego is a brand name/company, the actual bricks should be called Lego bricks rather than Legos. I call the individual pieces 'pieces of Lego' and this reasoning had never even occurred to me. The other idea is that Lego is a mass noun, and that's why a pile of Lego is a pile of Lego and a single one has to have other words added to it such as 'piece of' or 'brick' (like 'grain of' in rice), which is how I see it.

Extra dimensiImagens:

As for extra dimensions, you can use a Möbius strip to illustrate how even a tiny extra dimension that we can't travel into gives us an extra property. A Möbius strip is made of a two-dimensional strip, but if you have just a little space in one dimension you can twist it and then join the ends make it into a loop. Try it with a stray Coke bottle label; you can stick the ends together without any extra tape or anything. Then you get two things which remind me of particle physics:

• A thing that makes 'spin 1/2' particles make sense. Spin is kind of an abstract property of particles that may not actually have anything to do with spinning, but you can think of it as how many times you will see the same thing each time you spin it 360 degrees. If you have a coffee cup with a handle, you only see the handle once each turn, so it has spin 1. If you have a cup with a handle on each side, you see a handle twice each time you spin it, so it has spin 2. But a spin 1/2 particle is like a coffee cup where you have to turn it around twice just to see the handle once. And a Möbius strip is like that! If you follow around it with your finger, when you go around the strip once, you are on a different side of the strip from before. You have to go around it twice to get to the same place as before.
  • A thing that has chirality (handedness.) There are two different directions you can twist the strip, and once you've joined the ends together, there is no way that you can make one kind of Möbius strip into the other. Particles also come in two chiralities.

So you can think of the extra dimensions as having just enough space to twist strips of paper or comic strips and turn them into loops, so that the loops have different properties depending on how they're twisted. You don't have to be able to move around in that direction, but if the Möbius strips and other loops happen to be spinning, we'll notice that they have different behaviour. Which leads me to a name for a disappointing sequel that never existed:

[Space]Time Revolutions

(Nobody can be told what the OTC/sea is. You have to see it for yourself.)

I'm not a physicist, so this could be unrelated to any actual physical theories about the universe (though Kaluza-Klein theory seems related), but it was exciting to me. I saw a web page about it several yips ago which I can't find any more, and spent the rest of the dip playing with Möbius strips made of Coke bottle labels.

YImageuse:

I remember learning when I was a kid, back when my mum and I used to compete in Scrabble tournaments, that the 'youse' plural of 'you' had an e on the end. (Eek, now I'm thinking 'a plural you has an e on the end' to the tune of 'A wizard's staff has a knob on the end'.)

PredictiImagen:

[prediction]They will eventually come across a large molpy, such as a molpygoat, and Megan will say 'wow'. Also, at some point they will look back and see more of the network of rivers feeding the sea, and have a strangely worded and dubiously clever epiphany.[/prediction]

I think we could be in the second act (the first act being the Act of the Sandcastles) of a three-act play.

CImagemavision:

I had a comavision that I heard an audio interview with Randall (only, he had the voice of Molly Lewis), and he casually mentioned what the 'it' was we were waiting for and why it hadn't arrived yet, as if we should already know what it was. I don't remember what it was, but it was some kind of numerical thing, as if we were waiting for a frame number that had particularly interesting mathematical properties. He mentioned some interesting-number frames that we had already seen and seemed to assume we'd have figured out the 'it' frame from those.

GImageing on:

Come on, Cueball; this is what the first part of going on as far as the world can looks like!

I read the 'yup' as a perky, happy yup, to reassure that she was just fine.

…scuttles off to coma singing 'It's a short wait after all'
Knight Temporal, and Archdeacon of buttermongery and ham and cheese sandwiches. Nobody sells butter except through me.
Image Smiley by yappobiscuits. Avatar by GLR, buffygirl, BlitzGirl & mscha, with cari.j.elliot's idea.
Haiku Detector
starts a trend to make way for
my robot army.

charlie_grumbles

Postby charlie_grumbles » Sun Jun 16, 2013 1:00 am UTC

react-ONG

Can Megan hear the beesnake?
Lurking. Watching. Thinking. Writing. Waiting.
-- Charlie Grumbles

AluisioASG

Postby AluisioASG » Sun Jun 16, 2013 1:16 am UTC

ergman wrote:it sounds a little weird when the engineer calls Tehrag (spelling?) his most important thing.

How would I include everything, things and persons, in the set he was considering? [programmer-joke]Object?[/programmer-joke]

Angelastic wrote:<snip> we were waiting for a frame number that had particularly interesting mathematical properties

Oh, the good ol' interesting number problem.
Selecting new quote…

Vytron
Location: The Outside. I use She/He/Her/His/Him as gender neutral pronouns :P

Postby Vytron » Sun Jun 16, 2013 1:25 am UTC

Sweet sassy mollassy! Here's a blindpost from 6 days in the past...

k.bookbinder wrote:Before I coma, it occurs to me, that, whilst we have posted pizza, and cake, and ketchup, and even several pizza cakes, not one of us has yet to post pizza (or cake) with ketchup on it. Surely, somewhere, there must be pizza with ketchup on it.

Well, I posted Hot Dog Pizza to celebrate when StratPlayer ketchup with the present!, and it included lots of ketchup :wink:

Now, I know it's very old news, but I just read when kenmelken ketchup with the present, and I ask, why are such events celebrated only once? Because, today is the 6th dayversary since that event!

So, here's Pizzaburguers for everyone!

Go! Go! You can do it username5243!
Cheers Marsh'n!

THANKS KARHELL!! :)

kenmelken

Postby kenmelken » Sun Jun 16, 2013 1:25 am UTC

So... I'm totally blindposting from 5 pages back and have no time to ketchup on the thread right now, but I just saw the last 12 newpix on Aubron, and all I can say is... WHAT THE EXISTENTIAL!? I am SOOOO looking forward to y'all's discussion on the current conversation.

Oh, and an apology that I haven't touched the wiki in a wip. Will be updating it hopefully in a fewpix after I catch up on the OTT!
In Svithjod, there stands a rock. It is 100 miles high and 100 miles wide. Once every 1000 years a little bird comes to this rock to sharpen its beak. One time, I changed just the last sentence of this signature, and lots of you noticed. Image

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Sun Jun 16, 2013 1:49 am UTC

kenmelken wrote:So... I'm totally blindposting from 5 pages back and have no time to ketchup on the thread right now, but I just saw the last 12 newpix on Aubron, and all I can say is... WHAT THE EXISTENTIAL!? I am SOOOO looking forward to y'all's discussion on the current conversation.

Well, it's not that exciting. Which you know, since you've read it by now. Image
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

mscha

Postby mscha » Sun Jun 16, 2013 2:00 am UTC

Maybe we should say something intelligent about the dialogue then...
Um...
Look over there, it's a beesnake!
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

akacat

Postby akacat » Sun Jun 16, 2013 2:07 am UTC

Angelastic wrote:Also, some people's names are translated; Jean-Sébastien Bach, for example. Maybe whoever mentioned that his name wasn't translated knew that and was subtly referring to it.

Oh. I'd only ever heard him referred to as Johann Sebastian Bach. (Well, I have heard him called John Brook a couple times, but I thought it was only as a joke.) Is that not actually his name?

In general, I just don't recall hearing of someone called by a translation of their name, unless it was a 'new' name they'd deliberately adopted after moving to another country.

AluisioASG

Postby AluisioASG » Sun Jun 16, 2013 2:08 am UTC

STILL FLYONG
Selecting new quote…

k.bookbinder

Postby k.bookbinder » Sun Jun 16, 2013 2:10 am UTC

Thanks for the pizzaburger Vytron!

Quite a bit has happened on that slope. So much tension. I cannot think of the last time in which I felt that Time was so tense. I appreciated everyone's analysis. I do wonder, though, if the journey of Cuegan might not be a somewhat literal illustration of the story as it follows Freytag's dramatic structure. OK, I apologize for the odd soundingness of that previous sentence.

So, dramatic structure is (according to Freytag): exposition, rising action, climax, falling action, resolution. We have the destruction of the Sandcastle and the rising of the sea, which acted as the catalyst for their journey. We know that was the exposition. Perhaps their climb in altitude is a literal representation of the rising action. If they are near the summit, we may soon encounter the climax. They may descend (falling action, of course) and arrive at some resolution. The geography is representative of the dramatic structure, as well as a part of the story, and a source of conflict throughout.

This is my short analysis. I shall return in a few newpix.
"HAL9000" This thread is a goldmine for signatures.
"StratPlayer" All in all, that sand paper rubbed me the wrong way.
"charlie_grumbles" The secret of the geeks. "Copy, Borrow, Steal, Succeed"
"ucim" There's a forestful of treeish people here.

Image Welcome! Confused? See here.

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Sun Jun 16, 2013 2:22 am UTC

ggh wrote:The impossible colour thing is a bit contrived I think. I mean, that red-green doesn't strike me as that different from the red-green you'd see if you watched a gif that flashed between red and green, or a red and green striped image. You're seeing red and you're seeing green, and because you've overlayed them spatially using your two eyes, your brain is being confronted with both colours at once, but your brain gets a lot of stuff like that thrown at it.

What's a little more interesting to me is the colours you can get yourself to see if you mess with your eyes slightly. The cone that responds primarily to green has a range that is completely overlapped by the other cones, firefox, there is no wavelength that stimulates the green cones only. But you can get to see what such a wavelength would look like by turning off your red cones, which isn't that hard to mostly do. Lay in the sun with your eyes closed, looking at the bright red coming through your closed eyelids. After a while, open your eyes and look at something green. Hypergreen!

Chronosdragon, how is your stereo vision in general? Can you see 3D movies okay?

I can't do it until I get the MacBook working again, but what might be cool to do in stereo is the slices where they walked along the delta.

Yeah - 3D movies are good, and I play on a 3DS all the time.

Hmm. Maybe I've been eye straining too much from that lately - 2D screens have started to look 3D sometimes, maybe 3D things also look 2D.

k.bookbinder wrote:Thanks for the pizzaburger Vytron!

Quite a bit has happened on that slope. So much tension. I cannot think of the last time in which I felt that Time was so tense. I appreciated everyone's analysis. I do wonder, though, if the journey of Cuegan might not be a somewhat literal illustration of the story as it follows Freytag's dramatic structure. OK, I apologize for the odd soundingness of that previous sentence.

So, dramatic structure is (according to Freytag): exposition, rising action, climax, falling action, resolution. We have the destruction of the Sandcastle and the rising of the sea, which acted as the catalyst for their journey. We know that was the exposition. Perhaps their climb in altitude is a literal representation of the rising action. If they are near the summit, we may soon encounter the climax. They may descend (falling action, of course) and arrive at some resolution. The geography is representative of the dramatic structure, as well as a part of the story, and a source of conflict throughout.

This is my short analysis. I shall return in a few newpix.

Seems odd to have an exposition which is only slightly shorter than the totality of the rising action. I think something else has to happen to extend it out if that was the case.

Valarya

Postby Valarya » Sun Jun 16, 2013 2:29 am UTC

mscha wrote:Maybe we should say something intelligent about the dialogue then...
Um...
Look over there, it's a beesnake!

Yes it is and we're all waiting on the molpy hunter!

(can't believe I missed 2 NPs of movie title parodies)
Caridnal of Cupcakes | Friaress of Frosting | Pope of Pocket Pastries
Occasional basement dweller.

moody7277

Postby moody7277 » Sun Jun 16, 2013 2:42 am UTC

AluisioASG wrote:STILL FLYONG

Beesnake is going to remind them of the wonders they came out to find, they continue on.
The story of my life in xkcdmafia:

Tigerlion wrote:Well, I imagine as the game progresses, various people will be getting moody.

BoomFrog wrote:I still have no idea what town moody really looks like.

Davidy

Postby Davidy » Sun Jun 16, 2013 2:42 am UTC

It's coming...1

Spoiler:

1. That's what she said.
"It's only funny until someone loses an eye, then it's still funny but they can only see it in 2-D."

taixzo

Postby taixzo » Sun Jun 16, 2013 2:46 am UTC

I am afraid they will part ways over something as silly as whether to go down or up the mountain.

Edit: 100th post! Therefore, I as my drama teacher said, there is Shakespeare for every occasion:
Spoiler:
Shakespeare plays, when you first see them, are reasonably good plays, although the language is a bit hard to understand. Then, you get an annotated copy, and realize that there are two layers: one containing the actual dialog, and one where everyone is just going "Penis penis penis penis penis."
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

Useless utilities: Newpix clock for Mac OS X, Newpix clock for Ubuntu

Sandgarden - a relaxing experience for Time Waiters

Best wishes to GnomeAnne, ColletArrow and january1may! One day you will all join me in the Present!

AluisioASG

Postby AluisioASG » Sun Jun 16, 2013 2:54 am UTC

taixzo wrote:I am afraid they will part ways over something as silly as whether to go down or up the mountain.

It's simple: they must go through it.
Selecting new quote…

edo

Postby edo » Sun Jun 16, 2013 3:03 am UTC

yappobiscuits wrote:
edo wrote:I was hoping someone would respond with a little more
Spoiler:
Vader
Damn, I totally didn't notice that reference... HOW did I not notice that reference!?

The dark side clouds everything. Dangerous times these are.
Co-proprietor of a Mome and Pope Shope

jjjdavidson
Location: Outside: The Ozarks, North America ─ OTTside: Lost in the 1400s

Postby jjjdavidson » Sun Jun 16, 2013 3:03 am UTC

ImageNG....
Don't worry. Feed squirpys.
Don't wait for me.
My OTC/OTT graphsMay include spoilers!
Helpful links: Time Wiki FAQrot-13 / Morse decoders
He won! He won! He won!
Knight Temporal. :) Ex-Loopist. :(

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Sun Jun 16, 2013 3:20 am UTC

BEESNAKE
I have been watching you, Cuegan, these many newpix of your journey. Bee not afraid.
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

HES

Postby HES » Sun Jun 16, 2013 3:28 am UTC

The Time trilogy:
I: A Molpy's guide to the beach
II: The tents at the end of the thing that doesn't end
III: Sand, the thing that doesn't end, and everything
IV: So long, and thanks for all the berries
V: Mostly waiting

edo wrote:
BlitzGirl et al wrote:Episode VII*: Disney Buys XKCD
*and all subsequent sequels

NO! NO! It's not true! NO! It's not possible! NOOOOO!

Disney replacing GL, I can deal with. Disney replacing GLR, I cannot. Lucas is a complete moron, and we're lucky that he was stopped from doing some of his ideas. "A long time ago, in the not too distant future..."

Happy 100th taixzo! I'm still reluctant to google for a certain themed cake, so you'll have to imagine it. (Imaginary cake tastes better anyway)
He/Him/His Image

jjjdavidson
Location: Outside: The Ozarks, North America ─ OTTside: Lost in the 1400s

Postby jjjdavidson » Sun Jun 16, 2013 3:30 am UTC

I can't help thinking that the current dialogue, once again, has a feel of allegory to it. "The world is too big. It can go on longer than we can." "I'm still going." "But one day we won't be. And we're a long way from home."

Has anyone in the last 800-odd pages tried comparing the events of the OTC to famous literary journeys? There are a few parallels, for instance, to The Pilgrim's Progress, though that story's strong religious message seems out of place here. Still, Megball's doubts and hesitations along the way do give their journey something of the feel of a pilgrimage.

ttscp wrote:I think the time has come to talk about plot elements, and the kinds of plot elements that Randall might use (hence the heresy tag).

[snippety snippety]Here's the part that makes the OTC hardest to analyze: lack of conflict. Randall seems to avoid conflict even in the OtherComic. Yes, he'll have a setup for a joke, but generally the characters aren't arguing with each other. In the OTC there's been a little conflict between Cueball and Megan, mostly about whether to continue or not. Even the interactions with the molpies have been non-offensive and bland; Cuegan avoided the worst of the molpy - the snake with the daggers over it's eyes - by going around.

There are stories without conflict, but darned few. It's amazing that Randall has kept my interest in this so long without any conflict either in the main arc or any of the sub arcs.

I was taught four basic kinds of story conflict: Man vs. Man, Man vs. Society, Man vs. Nature, Man vs. Himself. Nature seems to threaten in the rising sea, and the increasingly difficult terrain (probably dangerous, too, if they're still near the wowterfall cliff). Their latest argument could be an externalization of Man vs. Himself, as we've seen in the past.

But you're right: The conflict is scanty. They've left the sea behind, and their arguments just don't seem too dramatic or emotional. Even in allegory, or perhaps especially in allegory, there should be some stronger conflict. If Time isn't just about seeing how long he can keep us waiting, I think there're more serious plot developments yet to come, perhaps of the Man vs. Man sort. Or perhaps their explorations will land them in trouble when they get home, leading to Man vs. Society. (And I can't believe that La Petite isn't going to play some important role.)

Change of subject:
ggh wrote:The impossible colour thing is a bit contrived I think. I mean, that red-green doesn't strike me as that different from the red-green you'd see if you watched a gif that flashed between red and green, or a red and green striped image. You're seeing red and you're seeing green, and because you've overlayed them spatially using your two eyes, your brain is being confronted with both colours at once, but your brain gets a lot of stuff like that thrown at it.

What's a little more interesting to me is the colours you can get yourself to see if you mess with your eyes slightly....Lay in the sun with your eyes closed, looking at the bright red coming through your closed eyelids. After a while, open your eyes and look at something green. Hypergreen!

My mother was an artist and art teacher long ago, and she taught me ways of looking at color combinations that are a little out of the ordinary. There are certain shades of brown I can look at and perceive as "yellowish purple".

As for "hypergreen": Try covering one eye completely, so that only the other eye gets its red cones exhausted. The combination of colors isn't only peculiar─for me, at least, it has odd effects on my depth perception, something like having polarized lenses over both eyes, but with their polarity at 90°.

P.S. Thanks, BlitzGirl and HES, for sparing me the dreaded double post. Sometimes it seems like the OTT just grinds to a halt when I post, as though everyone is just staring aghast and speechless (textless?) at my latest weird thought.
Don't worry. Feed squirpys.
Don't wait for me.
My OTC/OTT graphsMay include spoilers!
Helpful links: Time Wiki FAQrot-13 / Morse decoders
He won! He won! He won!
Knight Temporal. :) Ex-Loopist. :(

StormAngel

Postby StormAngel » Sun Jun 16, 2013 3:39 am UTC

jjjdavidson wrote:I can't help thinking that the current dialogue, once again, has a feel of allegory to it. "The world is too big. It can go on longer than we can." "I'm still going." "But one day we won't be. And we're a long way from home."

While we're on the topic of allegories, I present:

The Chronicles of Time
1. The GLR's Nephew
2. The Cuegan, the Watch, and the White-Fade
3. The Molpy and his Boy M
4. Prince Cueballian
5. Voyage of the Time Waiter
6. The Sandy Castle
7. The Lost Bottle

Its all related.
M a hoof-molpy, or a molpse?
Last edited by StormAngel on Sun Jun 16, 2013 3:41 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Oelpr Jnhar, Knight of the Chronological Order, Protector of Othamburg
"HELLO. MY NAME IS STORMANGEL. YOU OTCOLORED MY NOPICES. PREPARE TO GO CAVE."
yappobiscuits wrote:"I wanna be redundant too! Lemme be redundant! C'monnn!"

My OTTifications on Imgur
Spoiler:
Ch*rp

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”