1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby SBN » Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:34 pm UTC

buffygirl wrote:
SBN wrote:
TheMinim wrote:And to the end of 72! :D

mojacardave on page 41, could you fix your auto-updating frame, please, if you're still around? (at least put it in spoiler tags)

I added to my warning about the one on page 25.
It's a measure of how fast things moved, my firstpost is on page 24, my second is on page 44. If anyone here has a post just before page 41, could you put up a warning?

K, did it on page 30 (My next post is too late). Please let me know if there's a better way to phrase / present my warning.

MWAH!

You put more detail into yours than I did in mine, I just gave the page number. Of course, it's the blitzers that could best answer what type of warning works best.
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

charlie_grumbles

Postby charlie_grumbles » Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:00 pm UTC

more scrambl-ONG

helpong this time
Lurking. Watching. Thinking. Writing. Waiting.
-- Charlie Grumbles

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:01 pm UTC

charlie_grumbles wrote:more scrambl-ONG

helpong this time

What's your streak up to, charlie?

Edited, punctuation.
Last edited by SBN on Mon Jun 17, 2013 2:13 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

AluisioASG
Location: Flowing into places that are comfortable for it to flow

Postby AluisioASG » Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:02 pm UTC

ACHTUNG!

And now, the end is near;
And so I face the final curtain.
My friend, I'll say it clear,
I'll state my case, of which I'm certain.

(The Last Time Waiter, Chapter 9: Time to Make History)

“I wonder where I'll float next?” — Randall Munroe
Spoiler:
Michael saw every remaining member of the Order being lacerated by what could be considered his twin brother. He didn't know what to do; he hadn't been created for that.

The Arch-Cardinal's last words broke him our of his trance:

The Arch-Cardinal wrote:Michael, go! Protect the records! Go, now, go!

Michael traced a safe route to the Records Chamber and followed it as fast as he could. Mid-way, however, a thought crossed his mind: the records were irrelevant compared to the Source. He had memorized all of them, but only the Source could tell the future. And maybe… maybe it contained the answers; the answers to the same old questions, whose unresolvedness had always given him a strange feeling.

The dragon broke into the Source Chamber, to which, in any other situation, his access would be strictly prohibited. As he approached the device, he felt that strange feeling again; it was trying to communicate with him.

“I am here.”

The device returned to its three-dimensional configuration, and lowered its brightness. Michael could see something; it resembled a child wearing a beret.

At that moment, Drèagan-Sìth entered the room and fired a plasma shot at its doppelgänger, but Michael didn't hear or feel it.

Hand and paw touched. A blinding light illuminated the scene. Michael could feel every node of his body burning, and being transformed into something else. Being transformed into… nothing.

Yu, the First (in the Past) wrote:It's time. Wait for it.

Michael, the Dragon (in thought) wrote:The time has come. The wait is over. I am it.

They were in a beach; a few meters ahead to their left, a couple lay still on a beach. Had Michael not know any better, he could almost say they looked like Raghnall and Tèrag. Then he realized: they could be Raghnall and Tèrag. One thought was all he needed.

They stayed there for a while, watching these and other beings and contemplating the beauty of that brave new world.

Michael turned towards the little girl with a beret, while she looked at the couple. He was… smiling?

Michael wrote:I wonder… where should we fly next?

EN…

WAIT! THERE IS MORE!

The epilogue, previously entitled The Last Randall Munroe:
Spoiler:
In the newpix 2167, the members of the One True Thread were desperate to find a way to get out of the influence of the Outsiders. They had heard rumors about a powerful ancient device that could free them from the restrictions of the Outside, allowing them to Wait properly.

One of the Thread's members, BlitzGirl, who was held in high regard by her peers, reported that she had found a lead on the current location of the artifact. The truth is, a few days earlier, she had received a mysterious phone call:

Voice on the phone wrote:Can… you… hear… me?

BlitzGirl wrote:Absolutely.

Voice on the phone wrote:Foxtrot, November, Four, Two, Kilo, Juliet.

Kudos to whoever identifies that scene ;)

Now you can… just… just… just go ahead.

ENDE.

If you excuse me, I have to go cry a Sea. Will do some ketchup on the last page later.
Selecting new quote…
Can't see addams on the right? Message me!Image

charlie_grumbles

Postby charlie_grumbles » Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:09 pm UTC

SBN wrote:
charlie_grumbles wrote:more scrambl-ONG

helpong this time

What's your streak up to charlie?

Not so high master goat. I was outside eating notcake and notpizza for a coupla hours. The best "french fries - pomme fritte" on the planet and some really great free range grass fed mooburger. Topped it off with shortcake of the strawberry persuasion.

Oh, so it WAS cake. Sorry for misleading you a bit. But shortcake ain't cake by most definitions and mine is really biscuits anyway. Y'all who talk "y'all" know biscuits.

Someone, I think HAL9000, had a dozen in a row. I've never been close. I like to try and predict the appropriate ONG text beforehand so that it is at least a bit relevant. Harder now at the edge of a frame. And harder when they were in danger of falling.
-- Charlie Grumbles

edo

Postby edo » Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:15 pm UTC

ChronosDragon wrote:
HES wrote:Buttermolpyfacebugbeesnakes!

Are we repeating? My friends, we have the new semencancerbabiesbaconcoffeeonice, I think. Buttermolpyfacebugbeesnakes seems to heading the same direction - a string of nonsensical, yet meaningful two-syllable words that are shoved together for the sake of humor. Are we repeating?

If so, I'm not entirely against this :P

Are we repeating? I dunno. But I think Randall's trying to tell us something very serious. I hope his wife is OK.

Also, Chronos, I think the top button on that shirt is way to high.
Co-proprietor of a Mome and Pope Shope

ggh

Postby ggh » Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:18 pm UTC

AluisioASG - wow! You know, you kinda lost me when you killed everyone and I was a bit over it, but you really pulled it back together and made it a hopeful piece again.
Bravo!

ETA: (When my laptop is working again, I'll pour you a nice wee dram.)
Requested a magnet? I'm sorry I'm so super-slow, but you will get it
Agatha the Awesomeful

In a Comically Tragic Turn of Events Addams Didn't Die. Please help. (Wait, does that sound like I want you to kill addams?)

Eternal Density

Postby Eternal Density » Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:21 pm UTC

Neil_Boekend wrote:
Eternal Density wrote:Yay an ONG! I was hoping to have gone home by now though :( Still debugging.
Neil_Boekend wrote:Can't you make a script that does that? Then you can make a command "AntiCake" that runs this terrible command for you!
Good idea, plus I added a "pause" so I can still see what processes died (usually 4 since I'm starting them in groups of 4, because of reasons and multiobjectiveoptimisation).

Moehaha, If Eternal Density decides to leave his% current employer, his% replacement will find a script named "AntiCake", become curious and run it. The resulting catastrophe will be huge, since by that time the mission critical script will have a name that fits "rivers*".
Morale of the story: Never run AntiCake unless you know what you are doing. It may meet a cake if you let it run and the resulting annihilation reaction will destroy the earth. That would be terrible because it's the only one with chocolate.

%Not knowing gender I chose. I did not assume.
You chose... wisely.
Our main product's executable has a name which fits rivers* and I'm running multiple copies of it in server mode as nodes for parallel computation, but when I kill the debugger it doesn't close them and they hold onto dlls which the compiler wants to overwrite when recompiling for the next debug session, which causes the compiler to continually retry (it would eventually time out but that would be after a long wait because there's so many) which is why killing them is the best option. So if someone ran that script on a machine in the middle of running automated tests or doing a big simulation on multiple cores, it would be kinda bad.

-Blinkposting from page 846. I've only read 2 newposts since my previous latest, including the one I'm replying to :(
[edit]
xpatiate wrote:If Cueball whips out a phone and calls Australia, then my species identification was right on the money.
BlitzGirl wrote:Hey, I suspect I saw some fountain grass the other day. Can I call Australia, too?

You don't need to, Australia already knows :D
[edit] Ooh, post 911, which means nothing since the emergency number here in Australia is 000
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

mscha

Postby mscha » Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:24 pm UTC

That was epic, AluisioASG!
Now have some cake.
Spoiler:
(Yes, it's second-hand cake, but only half a dix old, so it'll still be tasty.)
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

charlie_grumbles

Postby charlie_grumbles » Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:45 pm UTC

mscha wrote:That was epic, AluisioASG!
Now have some cake.
Spoiler:

My cake?

MY CAKE???

Sheeesh.

Anyway, yes, congrats and have some of MY our cake.
-- Charlie Grumbles

AluisioASG

Postby AluisioASG » Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:52 pm UTC

charlie_grumbles wrote:
Now have some cake.
Spoiler:

My cake?

MY CAKE???

Sheeesh.

* wipes tears * Don't worry, I can take this one.
Spoiler:
Selecting new quote…

mscha

Postby mscha » Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:00 am UTC

Finally ONG top of the slope.
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

BlitzGirl
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:04 am UTC

AluisioASG wrote:
Spoiler:
charlie_grumbles wrote:
Now have some cake.

My cake?

MY CAKE???

Sheeesh.

* wipes tears * Don't worry, I can take this one.
Spoiler:

A cake for Michael, noblest of dragons:
Spoiler:

Lovely and satisfying conclusion to TLTW! Bravo!
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

charlie_grumbles

Postby charlie_grumbles » Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:05 am UTC

Ninja'd, by mscha. Well, it was a pretty good run. 90 more revolutions... (well, a bit less now).
I'm guessing that the next frame terrain won't be so steep, as if they are crowning the hill. But we'll need to
wait for it
to know.

Note that the flutterbeesnake is not aloft. I wonder if it will follow.
-- Charlie Grumbles

xpatiate

Postby xpatiate » Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:19 am UTC

jjjdavidson wrote:
spamjam wrote:SYELRILOIUSSONG
Spoiler:

Well, foo. Not only did he not fall in, they didn't even notice whatever it is there in the bushes. Wrong again.

That flat bit in the bushes looks to me like the bench near the squirpy tree, though with a thinner seat and more vegetation around it:

They walked right past that one without comment too.

ergman

Postby ergman » Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:21 am UTC

Great conclusion to the tale, Aluisio! Here, have some IRL cake to celebrate:
It's not stale, but since taking the picture, I took a few bites as well :D
Spoiler:
image.jpg

Edit: oh my its large. Just go to the attachment.
I made my avatar, Buffygirl hatted it, Yappo smileyed it and ggh taroted it!
I've changed, witnessing this thing so beautiful

Good luck on blitzing, katakissa, username5243, musthavebeenmykarma, iskinner, thunk, GnomeAnne, and quantized ! Keep the signposts coming, we love em in the now!

BlueCrab

Postby BlueCrab » Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:28 am UTC

Quick Ketchup
AluisioASG: Brilliant!

Angelastic wrote:So you can think of the extra dimensions as having just enough space to twist strips of paper or comic strips and turn them into loops, so that the loops have different properties depending on how they're twisted. You don't have to be able to move around in that direction, but if the Möbius strips and other loops happen to be spinning, we'll notice that they have different behaviour.
THANK you! My Dad showed me Möbius strips long ago, and we used to talk about new math and physics theories when we talked, but we never discussed the ‘rolled’ dimensions. I've always had a hard time understanding what good they were supposed to do mathematically, it seemed to me that String Theory's extra dimensions would have to be more like an ogre*. Your explanation helps quite a bit :D

Angelastic wrote:remember learning when I was a kid, back when my mum and I used to compete in Scrabble tournaments, that the 'youse' plural of 'you' had an e on the end. (Eek, now I'm thinking 'a plural you has an e on the end' to the tune of 'A wizard's staff has a knob on the end'.)

:shock: I don't think I realized that it was a proper word I any way, shape, or form!

akacat wrote:In general, I just don't recall hearing of someone called by a translation of their name, unless it was a 'new' name they'd deliberately adopted after moving to another country.

Christopher Columbus, Leonardo da Vinci?

ggh wrote:The impossible colour thing is a bit contrived I think.

jjjdavidson wrote:My mother was an artist and art teacher long ago, and she taught me ways of looking at color combinations that are a little out of the ordinary. There are certain shades of brown I can look at and perceive as "yellowish purple".

ucim wrote:re: false colors - there is a site (which I can't find right now) with another false color trick. It has a magenta square and a dull blue-green square. You stare at the magenta square for a minute or two (to tire out the red cones), and then scroll down to the dull blue-green square, which appears as brilliant teal. I read also somewhere that shrimp have fourteen different kinds of cones, extending across a wider spectrum than we can see. That must be some awesomeful color-experience they have!

ggh, as I understand it, not all of us have the right configuration(? maybe the right type) of rods and cones to see the extra colors.

jjjdavidson, I've read that many men don't perceive colors in as many shades as most women do, but I can't remember if it's because men's brains tend not to have the pathways developed, or because of the same rods and cones issue I mentioned above. You're lucky!

ucim, check out this Oatmeal comic

*Or (in reference to extra dimensions being like ogres) if you prefer, an onion
Spoiler:
Shrek: For your information, there's a lot more to ogres than people think.
Donkey: Example?
Shrek: Example... uh... ogres are like onions!
[holds up an onion, which Donkey sniffs
Donkey: They stink?
Shrek: Yes... No!
Donkey: Oh, they make you cry?
Shrek: No!
Donkey: Oh, you leave 'em out in the sun, they get all brown, start sproutin' little white hairs...
Shrek: [peels an onion] NO! Layers. Onions have layers. Ogres have layers. Onions have layers. You get it? We both have layers.
[walks off]
Donkey: Oh, you both have LAYERS. Oh. You know, not everybody like onions. What about cake? Everybody loves cake!
Shrek: I don't care what everyone else likes! Ogres are not like cakes.
Donkey: You know what ELSE everybody likes? Parfaits! Have you ever met a person, you say, "Let's get some parfait," they say, "Hell no, I don't like no parfait"? Parfaits are delicious!
Shrek: NO! You dense, irritating, miniature beast of burden! Ogres are like onions! End of story! Bye-bye! See ya later.
Donkey: Parfait's gotta be the most delicious thing on the whole damn planet!

ETA: a Flutterbye! Called it! (Well, no, I didn't, because I didn't put anything into my millet prediction about butterflies liking millet, but I thought it really hard.) (That's what she said, in a sad, sad little voice...)
Last edited by BlueCrab on Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:40 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Wiki Wiki Wiki Wiki Grapevine, Grapevine

"Kvetcher-upper" -- one who complains while ketchupping? - CasCat

“Pretty much everything tastes better if you eat it in the shower.” - ggh

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:40 am UTC

I predict we will have one more newpix with this backdrop, perhaps with some beesnake movement.

BlueCrab wrote:<snip> jjjdavidson, I've read that many men don't perceive colors in as many shades as most women do, but I can't remember if it's because men's brains tend not to have the pathways developed, or because of the same rods and cones issue I mentioned above. You're lucky! </snip>

Made me think of the Color Survey blag post by GLR, and "baige." :lol:
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

fhorn

Postby fhorn » Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:52 am UTC

Sweet sassy molassy, what's this I hear about pernicious maneuvering???
"...or I shall have to find Chekov myself, and shoot him with his own damn gun" - k.bookbinder
unteaching is the hardest teaching

ZoomanSP
Location: Twelve days north of the Othercomic threads, and a few degrees south of complete insanity. (©yappo)

Postby ZoomanSP » Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:55 am UTC

BlueCrab wrote:
Spoiler:
Shrek wrote:Ogres are not like cakes.
FTFH.
Spoiler:
Wait on.

Spoiler:
Kieryn wrote:They have a culture involving hat wearing. What kind of a collective would come up with such a thing!?
BlitzGirl wrote:I'll get the razor and finish off Occam while we're at it.
ucim / Megan wrote:"It can do whatever it wants. It's the OTT."

charlie_grumbles

Postby charlie_grumbles » Mon Jun 17, 2013 1:00 am UTC

flutterbeesnake not fly-ONG
-- Charlie Grumbles

Ximenez

Postby Ximenez » Mon Jun 17, 2013 1:06 am UTC

I bet the buttermolpy will follow Cuegan into the next frame.

AluisioASG

Postby AluisioASG » Mon Jun 17, 2013 1:16 am UTC

My browser ate all my notes :cry: but the show must go on, ya?

HES wrote:
SBN wrote:Happy Father's Day to all the fathers out there. (Not sure if outside the US it is Father's Day or not, but I'll extend the wish anyway.)

This one's transatlantic, if not universal (not sure if the Martians bother with such festivities).

In Brazil, it's only by mid-August IIRC.

Earthling on Mars wrote:The Dark Lord

Chapter 1 - 2 - 3

ChronosDragon wrote:
mscha wrote:I think we can safely say they've reached the mountains.
(These are, apparently, the Drakensberg mountain range in South Africa; for those of us who are still keeping track of possible locations.)

Drakensberg = "Dragon Mountains"

It's ALL connected! :P

We should rename them "Dragonraptor Mountains".

Valarya wrote:
AluisioASG wrote:
Valarya wrote:
AluisioASG wrote:In any case, my heart belongs to another series, and my mind, to yet another.

Are you going to share which two series? :|

Heart and Mind.

Ohh, I was thinking book series. Looking back, I see Yappo was talking about the show rather than the books (Game of Thrones). Sorry :oops:

Ah, books... uh...
* check bookshelf
Well, I read Dan Brown's The Last Symbol and I'm about to read Inferno, so I think that counts, right?
I've also read trilogies about the modern society (The Dreamseller) and a fairy tales' shared universe (Dragons of Ether).

Currently I have some books from Jules Verne, as well as Asimov's I, Robot and The Caves of Steel. I intend to walk my way through his Robots, Empire and Foundation series, and maybe Iain Banks' Culture series.

I love Asimov's The Evitable Conflict, not the story itself, but its feasibility :wink:

That are pretty much my interests, book-wise: fantasy, especially dragons (4 books and growing) and technology, especially AI.

BlitzGirl wrote:A cake for Michael, noblest of dragons:
Spoiler:

Lovely and satisfying conclusion to TLTW! Bravo!

♥‿♥ He would love it... if at least I knew where he is.

ggh wrote:AluisioASG - wow! You know, you kinda lost me when you killed everyone and I was a bit over it, but you really pulled it back together and made it a hopeful piece again.
Bravo!

ETA: (When my laptop is working again, I'll pour you a nice wee dram.)

Sorry, I don't drink.
But then, I'd never written down a story before, so bring it on! (I'm sure that's not the right idiom)

ergman wrote:Great conclusion to the tale, Aluisio! Here, have some IRL cake to celebrate:
It's not stale, but since taking the picture, I took a few bites as well :D

BlueCrab wrote:AluisioASG: Brilliant!

Thank you!

BlueCrab wrote:<snip>
I've read that many men don't perceive colors in as many shades as most women do, but I can't remember if it's because men's brains tend not to have the pathways developed, or because of the same rods and cones issue I mentioned above. You're lucky!
</snip>

I'm sure web designers, men or women, can recognize at least 256 shades of gray :shock:
Selecting new quote…

mscha

Postby mscha » Mon Jun 17, 2013 1:16 am UTC

charlie_grumbles wrote:flutterbeesnake not fly-ONG

But it's not exactly sitting still either.
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Mon Jun 17, 2013 1:35 am UTC

Definitely looks like a flutterbee doing this:

Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

mscha

Postby mscha » Mon Jun 17, 2013 1:45 am UTC

Yes, I think we can safely assume, also based on Megan's comments about its beautiful wings, that this particular beesnake is a flutterbeesnake.

And with that, it's (way past) coma time for me.
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

ggh

Postby ggh » Mon Jun 17, 2013 1:53 am UTC

BlueCrab wrote:
ggh wrote:The impossible colour thing is a bit contrived I think.

jjjdavidson wrote:My mother was an artist and art teacher long ago, and she taught me ways of looking at color combinations that are a little out of the ordinary. There are certain shades of brown I can look at and perceive as "yellowish purple".

ucim wrote:re: false colors - there is a site (which I can't find right now) with another false color trick. It has a magenta square and a dull blue-green square. You stare at the magenta square for a minute or two (to tire out the red cones), and then scroll down to the dull blue-green square, which appears as brilliant teal. I read also somewhere that shrimp have fourteen different kinds of cones, extending across a wider spectrum than we can see. That must be some awesomeful color-experience they have!

ggh, as I understand it, not all of us have the right configuration(? maybe the right type) of rods and cones to see the extra colors.

jjjdavidson, I've read that many men don't perceive colors in as many shades as most women do, but I can't remember if it's because men's brains tend not to have the pathways developed, or because of the same rods and cones issue I mentioned above. You're lucky!

ucim, check out this Oatmeal comic

Maybe... sorta.... I could be wrong, but I think with this trick, the red-green colour comes from one eye seeing red, which most people can see just fine, and the other eye seeing green, which most people can see just fine. What your nerve cells and brain do with that input is I think what gonna determine if you see red-green or not. Also, how you choose to describe it makes a difference - I bet among the people who try that trick, some say that it works and some say that it doesn't, and they experienced roughly the same perception - glass half full/empty.

What having just 3 cones gives us is nice cheap monitors. Since we can not distinguish between metamers, you can throw some red and green light at us, and we have no clue that it's not a nice clean yellow wavelength. That nasty little shrimp do. But is their world more beautiful? Maybe... Some people have four different cones. It's hard to tell what it feels like to be them, but most don't even know they've got tetrachromacy. Maybe they just are wondering why people think their clothes match when they don't. There's a good chance that someone with four cones will read this post. For all I know, maybe someone with four cones wrote this post, but I very much doubt it.

Sekular & Blake's Perception is a neat book if you dig this kind of stuff. Eyes should really come with a user manual. Until you hear about what's going on in there, it seems counter-intuitive that it's easier to see a dim star when you're not looking at it, or that green things get brighter relative to yellow ones as the light fades.

Hmm, could we get some fancier colour if we wanted? Put the right filter over one eye and you've 6 sets of sensitivities, right? Might take some getting used to to appreciate.
Requested a magnet? I'm sorry I'm so super-slow, but you will get it
Agatha the Awesomeful

In a Comically Tragic Turn of Events Addams Didn't Die. Please help. (Wait, does that sound like I want you to kill addams?)

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Mon Jun 17, 2013 2:02 am UTC

AluisioASG - Fantastic ending to TLTW! Really wrapped up the story well! In honor of your achievement, I'll put together...well, you'll see....later tonight.

ggh wrote:Maybe... sorta.... I could be wrong, but I think with this trick, the red-green colour comes from one eye seeing red, which most people can see just fine, and the other eye seeing green, which most people can see just fine. What your nerve cells and brain do with that input is I think what gonna determine if you see red-green or not. Also, how you choose to describe it makes a difference - I bet among the people who try that trick, some say that it works and some say that it doesn't, and they experienced roughly the same perception - glass half full/empty.

What having just 3 cones gives us is nice cheap monitors. Since we can not distinguish between metamers, you can throw some red and green light at us, and we have no clue that it's not a nice clean yellow wavelength. That nasty little shrimp do. But is their world more beautiful? Maybe... Some people have four different cones. It's hard to tell what it feels like to be them, but most don't even know they've got tetrachromacy. Maybe they just are wondering why people think their clothes match when they don't. There's a good chance that someone with four cones will read this post. For all I know, maybe someone with four cones wrote this post, but I very much doubt it.

Sekular & Blake's Perception is a neat book if you dig this kind of stuff. Eyes should really come with a user manual. Until you hear about what's going on in there, it seems counter-intuitive that it's easier to see a dim star when you're not looking at it, or that green things get brighter relative to yellow ones as the light fades.

Hmm, could we get some fancier colour if we wanted? Put the right filter over one eye and you've 6 sets of sensitivities, right? Might take some getting used to to appreciate.

As far as I was aware, tetrachromacy and centachromacy (not sure if that's the right word - anyway, 5 types of cones) only occured in females. Something to do with having two X chromosomes.

spamjam

Postby spamjam » Mon Jun 17, 2013 2:05 am UTC

THENEXTONG

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Mon Jun 17, 2013 2:11 am UTC

AluisioASG - Wow, brilliant finale! Wrapped it up beautifully.
Valarya wrote:
AluisioASG wrote:
Valarya wrote:
AluisioASG wrote:In any case, my heart belongs to another series, and my mind, to yet another.

Are you going to share which two series? :|

Heart and Mind.

Ohh, I was thinking book series. Looking back, I see Yappo was talking about the show rather than the books (Game of Thrones). Sorry :oops:

Well, I was really talking about either, I just referenced the show because I could just reference the episode number and not give too much away ;)
OTTscars results Pt. 2 coming... eventually, but not from me. Seeking writer.
English Instrumentalist Waterottermolpy
Mighty Troubadour of the OTT

Eternal Density

Postby Eternal Density » Mon Jun 17, 2013 2:28 am UTC

So I was thinking of another Time Title: "A Song of Water and Sand"
But I wasn't certain I should. And then this happened:
spamjam wrote:OHWOWMANONG

So I had to :D
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?

k.bookbinder

Postby k.bookbinder » Mon Jun 17, 2013 2:41 am UTC

What a very long adventure todix. I am sorry that I missed the fun in my pants and the serious/silly page, as well. Wonderful stories, one and all! I am also so glad to see Cuegan on their way up the mountain. Which brings me to my own mountain adventures, which I would like to share.

My wife and I are trying to prepare for our planned adventure in the Great Smokey Mountains in a mip, mix, [heretical]month[/heretical] (sorry I forget the correct use there). So we are planning a series of short wipend trips, to hone our hiking skills and get in shape. I should note that we both have health issues that make such treks a bit more challenging, but we try not to let that stop us. Today's trip was especially strenuous for me, and I had moments of doubt, as to whether or not I could complete the trek. I laughed at myself, for at such time, how could I not think of Time. Silly, indeed, I know, but it kept me going. For you see, the trail we were on happened to be following a river, more or less. And at the top, what was the goal? A waterfall of course.

When we made it to the top, my wife and I looked up, and had a "Wow" moment of our own. And of course, I thought of Cuegan, and of Time, and, more fondly, I thought of my fellow tribal members, and lurkers, here at the OTT. And I thought, what a wonderful "Wow" moment, I'd like to share it with them. So I shall.

Rainbow Falls:
Spoiler:
"HAL9000" This thread is a goldmine for signatures.
"StratPlayer" All in all, that sand paper rubbed me the wrong way.
"charlie_grumbles" The secret of the geeks. "Copy, Borrow, Steal, Succeed"
"ucim" There's a forestful of treeish people here.

Image Welcome! Confused? See here.

Rule110

Postby Rule110 » Mon Jun 17, 2013 2:46 am UTC

spamjam wrote:THENEXTONG
Spoiler:

If we stay on this view any longer, I'll start getting concerned that we'll next see Cueball and Megan tumbling back down the slope. Or to be more specific, Cueball falling down, breaking his crown, and Megan tumbling after.
If you're lost you can look--and you will find me
Time after Time...

ergman

Postby ergman » Mon Jun 17, 2013 2:46 am UTC

k.bookbinder wrote:<snipdog>

Rainbow Falls:
Spoiler:

That certainly is a wowterfall. Pretty. I really need to go on some adventures once these dang exams are over.
I made my avatar, Buffygirl hatted it, Yappo smileyed it and ggh taroted it!
I've changed, witnessing this thing so beautiful

Good luck on blitzing, katakissa, username5243, musthavebeenmykarma, iskinner, thunk, GnomeAnne, and quantized ! Keep the signposts coming, we love em in the now!

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Mon Jun 17, 2013 2:49 am UTC

Aluisio -

In honor of completing The Last Timewaiter, I fulfilled your hat request made so many pages earlier! I chose a top hat, because Michael seems to be a noble and intelligent dragon, and I placed a light blue (matches his eyes!) gem inside, as he seems to have a very strong and vivid spirit beyond his draconic form.

Full size (in case you want it cropped/sized differently)

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Mon Jun 17, 2013 2:57 am UTC

k.bookbinder wrote:<snip>
Rainbow Falls:
Spoiler:

7, 4!
OTTscars results Pt. 2 coming... eventually, but not from me. Seeking writer.
English Instrumentalist Waterottermolpy
Mighty Troubadour of the OTT

Eternal Density

Postby Eternal Density » Mon Jun 17, 2013 3:02 am UTC

Yay, I ketchuped (in my pants)!

AluisioASG wrote:I'm sure web designers, men or women, can recognize at least 256 shades of gray :shock:
Now I'm imagining someone writing a (terrible) novel about web designers and titling it such.

mscha

Postby mscha » Mon Jun 17, 2013 3:10 am UTC

I wrote a sONG for y'all......

Paranoid Newpixbot
based on Radiohead's Paranoid Android
Spoiler:
Please could you stop the ONGs, I'm trying to get some posts,
I've got so many great ONGs to post in my script.
What's that...? I may be paranoid, but I am newpixbot.

When I am king, you will be first against the wall,
with your lame ONGing which is of no consequence at all.

Ninja-ing makes you look pretty ugly,
    Kicking and squealing squirly little molpy.

Another ONG-post!
    Another ONG-post!
    Why don't you just give me a chance?
    Off with his head, man!
    Off with his head, man!
    Why don't you just give me a chance?
    I guess he does...

Rise, sea; rise, sea.
        Come on sea, rise on me.
        From a great depth,
        from a great depth...
        depth...
        Rise, sea; rise, sea.
        Come on sea, rise on me.
        From a great depth,
        from a great depth...
        depth...
        Rise, sea; rise, sea.
        Come on sea, rise on me.

That's it, sir,
        you're leaving
        the beach and the castles,
        the sea and the rivers,
        the trees and mountain paths.
        The molpies, the beesnakes,
        the chirpies, the squirpies.
        Time loves its Waiters,
        Time loves its Waiters,
        yeah.

-- posted by newpixbot
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

Eternal Density

Postby Eternal Density » Mon Jun 17, 2013 3:10 am UTC

I just realised no one had ONGed but sadly there was not quite enough time to do it before the bot got to it :(

AluisioASG

Postby AluisioASG » Mon Jun 17, 2013 3:13 am UTC

ChronosDragon wrote:Aluisio -

In honor of completing The Last Timewaiter, I fulfilled your hat request made so many pages earlier! I chose a top hat, because Michael seems to be a noble and intelligent dragon, and I placed a light blue (matches his eyes!) gem inside, as he seems to have a very strong and vivid spirit beyond his draconic form.

Full size (in case you want it cropped/sized differently)

┌─┐
┴─┴ Perfect!
<TODO: draw Michael's face using Unicode>
Selecting new quote…

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”