1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

lmjb1964
Location: In the Present! Need to ketchup NP 2236-2280, plus NP 2026-2058 and something like 2060-2090+?.

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby lmjb1964 » Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:40 am UTC

kenmelken wrote:
lmjb1964 wrote:Nice hat But, did I miss something? Did buffygirl disband the buffydashery?

Yup. That's in the part you haven't blitzed through yet. Now it's Vytron officially, or HAL9000 for bootleg jobs. (I endorse HAL9000 personally due to the fantastic job he did on my own be-hatted mountains and eternity bird!)

Ah, I see. The things you can miss in 50 NPs! And I thought I'd be able to do some blitzing this wipend, but it didn't happen.

Edited to say: I'm Pope! Since I'm very tired, I decree that for this page, you all have sweet dreams, even if you already de-coma'd. Or, you can choose to make wild ass-predictions. Mine is that the raptor will fly overhead, but an even bigger raptor will swoop down and eat the first raptor.

Now to work on those sweet dreams. Good coma to all!
Last edited by lmjb1964 on Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:51 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

You helped Addams stay in her home, and gave her a better life. She thanks you, and so do I.
Imagesmiley by yappo
That's a robot but it totally counts. Image

bot by balthasar_s

Flotter

Postby Flotter » Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:43 am UTC

kenmelken wrote:Sweet sassy molassy! SO MUCH KETCHUP!

Can't respond to everything... I'll just mention some cool things:

[...]
Flotter: Be careful with font color choices. Red is against the rules, to be used only by mods. Just heads up. :-)

[...]

Thanks for the warning, Rule 10 indeed forbids the use of red text. I've made it green instead. Mea maxima culpa everybody...

Happy comaing kenmelken :)

azule
Saved

Postby azule » Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:48 am UTC

ChronosDragon wrote:AND they found cave fan art made by Bushmen. I think the OTT must be nearby!
FTFY

If you read this sig, post about one arbitrary thing you did today.

I celebrate up to six arbitrary things before breakfast.
Time does drag on and on and contain spoilers. Be aware of memes.

charlie_grumbles

Postby charlie_grumbles » Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:00 am UTC

plateau-ONG

Megan
Lurking. Watching. Thinking. Writing. Waiting.
-- Charlie Grumbles

mscha

Postby mscha » Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:05 am UTC

So, would that be the top of the mountain, or just a plateau halfway?
Poor Cuegan probably can't see it yet. Knowing that they're almost there (perhaps) might give them an extra boost.
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

lmjb1964
Location: In the Present! Need to ketchup NP 2236-2280, plus NP 2026-2058 and something like 2060-2090+?.

Postby lmjb1964 » Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:08 am UTC

I was a little worried to find out that the buffydashery was closed, so I went back in time a bit to see what happened. I'm glad to hear it's just so you have more time for the OTT. You certainly have put in more than your share of service to the OTT, and we thank you.

I had submitted a request a while back for a matching hat and mask for my kitty. Do you have those, still, and is it something you could send to me so I could put it on her myself? If not, I'll see if Vytron or HAL9000 would mind making a little hat for her. Thanks!

kenmelken, I'm not sure it's very clear on my avatar since I suck at graphics, but did you notice I'm now wearing my RAZOR badge?

You helped Addams stay in her home, and gave her a better life. She thanks you, and so do I.
Imagesmiley by yappo
That's a robot but it totally counts. Image

bot by balthasar_s

Swein

Postby Swein » Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:27 am UTC

Adhearing the decree by the current pope...
I predict that they will stop by the last cliff for a while, arguing about if it could be climbed, then they will climb it and take a look at the view, and the image will pan out until we see the baobabs again, and Cuegan will say...
Spoiler:
Neat!
The past is full of traps, charms and mirages, but if you just keep up with with what you are doing it will all be fine.

charlie_grumbles

Postby charlie_grumbles » Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:28 am UTC

A comment about the clipped language. I think that here
Spoiler:

Megan was just winded. I talk like that on a steep uphill. No breath for words.

I haven't noticed an announcement of the day's new othercomic
-- Charlie Grumbles

BlitzGirl
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:34 am UTC

But that was after she'd been standing in one place staring at Cueball for several newpix.

And just 5 newpix before, Megan had breath enough to say:
Spoiler:

All right, off to follow the decree and find a saccharine comavision. I'm as tuckered as a baby pokeymolp.
Spoiler:
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

rvloon

Postby rvloon » Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:53 am UTC

For no apparent reason, I felt like filking Theo Nijland's 'Wanneer gaan we nou naar huis?' (When are we finally going home). It's on youtube.

I dreamt about some quiet Time
Now I miss the castles from back home
The sea was big, the river small
And my sister's trebuchet
When are we finally going home?

I wanted really something different
Always the same molpyfoodgroups
potatoes and sausage, free-to-roam
And now I even miss the cakes
And who it will be that takes
The yappobiscuits, so when are we
When are we finally going home?

Home is where your coat is
Where you long to be elsewhere
Where you want to leave - that's home
Home is the place where you wait
and long to be waiting
So when are we, so when are we
finally going home

I never wanted to be here in the first place
I accidentally came here, looking for my gnome,
I am tired of climbing mountains for the knowledge
So when are we finally going home

I miss the moon mome molpy meming brightly
I miss my Blitzgirl, HAL9000 and DracoChrome
Well, you get me, and my drift by now I take it
I want my neverending story, intrepidly known
I want my fridge full of frosty tasty snacktimes
And my closet full of T-shirts about Time
So when are we, so when are we

So when are we
So when are we now

Read more: http://www.muzikum.eu/nl/123-2807-112941/theo_nijland/wanneer_gaan_we_weer_naar_huis-songtekst.html

or see the original at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jcv-vcFCzUM

Cheers,

Ronald
Spoiler:
I followed Time until The End and I cannot even buy a chirping T-shirt.

charlie_grumbles

Postby charlie_grumbles » Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:00 am UTC

approach-ONG the steep
-- Charlie Grumbles

ergman

Postby ergman » Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:10 am UTC

I feel like the Butterbeesnake's tragic end is some sort of clever foreshadowing. It got killed by nature because it went up. Cuegan are about to go up. Will nature defeat them too?
This has been my ridiculous prediction of the day.
And what kind of tree is that?
I made my avatar, Buffygirl hatted it, Yappo smileyed it and ggh taroted it!
I've changed, witnessing this thing so beautiful

Good luck on blitzing, katakissa, username5243, musthavebeenmykarma, iskinner, thunk, GnomeAnne, and quantized ! Keep the signposts coming, we love em in the now!

charlie_grumbles

Postby charlie_grumbles » Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:14 am UTC

ergman wrote:I feel like the Butterbeesnake's tragic end is some sort of clever foreshadowing. It got killed by nature because it went up. Cuegan are about to go up. Will nature defeat them too?
This has been my ridiculous prediction of the day.
And what kind of tree is that?

Trees at the tops of mountains (assuming there are any) are normally quite deformed by wind and weather. Often it is very difficult to make a determination by sight alone. Some trees actually hug the ground like vines in that environment, where their siblings farther down are normal.

This one could be that or just old and damaged.

As to the tragic drama in the last scene, either the big flying molpy wasn't true raptor or the little one wasn't bug-like. Raptors like their meals big. It may have been swallow-like. The wings were consistent with that.
Last edited by charlie_grumbles on Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:21 am UTC, edited 2 times in total.
-- Charlie Grumbles

k.bookbinder

Postby k.bookbinder » Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:17 am UTC

After de-coma'ing, I was very excited to see the appearance of the raptor (though a bit sad for the flutterbeesnake). And when it comes to feathered dinosaurs, I cannot help but put in my $0.02: it was a flycatcher. Since I cannot see the color, nor properly hear its song, this is a best guess. But its size and silhouette is correct, as is its feeding habit (if we are assuming that the encounter with the chirpies are the same species of raptor - which I am). For you Africanists, it could even be this bird.

I am also very interested in the wind swept tree. They may find themselves on a plateau or even on top of a mountain bald, if not the summit itself.

EDIT: Fixed link
Last edited by k.bookbinder on Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:24 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
"HAL9000" This thread is a goldmine for signatures.
"StratPlayer" All in all, that sand paper rubbed me the wrong way.
"charlie_grumbles" The secret of the geeks. "Copy, Borrow, Steal, Succeed"
"ucim" There's a forestful of treeish people here.

Image Welcome! Confused? See here.

mikro2nd

Postby mikro2nd » Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:22 am UTC

charlie_grumbles wrote:Trees at the tops of mountains (assuming there are any) are normally quite deformed by wind and weather. Often it is very difficult to make a determination by sight alone. Some trees actually hug the ground like vines in that environment, where their siblings farther down are normal.

My first thought, too, was "Wind" - having lived for a good long while in a very windy place, but then I'd expect the smaller tree to the right to also be leaning over. I favour lightning-struck. We often see trees with severe lightning damage in the forest, here, and the silhouette is certainly consistent with that.

ETA: I am also wondering what that raised section is immediately to the right of the larger tree... could it be that the tree was blown down, and we're seeing the old trunk lying on the ground, the tree being regrowth from the stump? (Another common sight in the forest.) :?
One world, one soul
Time pass, the river rolls

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:36 am UTC

charlie_grumbles wrote:
As to the tragic drama in the last scene, either the big flying molpy wasn't true raptor or the little one wasn't bug-like. Raptors like their meals big. It may have been swallow-like. The wings were consistent with that.

Audubon member chiming in here. IRL raptors such as the smaller falcons are happy to eat medium-to-large moths. There was a famous clip from some night baseball game a few years back (for you non USAians out there, baseball has rather a lot of downtime) in which a camera found a peregrine falcon near the foul pole, happily perched and munching down on a 2-inch moth. Swallows and swifts do catch small bugs on the fly, but at the apparent range in the image, we shouldn't be able to see the beesnakebuglpy that they'd be after.
https://app.box.com/witthoftresume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

rvloon

Postby rvloon » Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:40 am UTC

rvloon wrote:
mscha wrote:
yappobiscuits wrote:Some forums, including the only other one I'm a regular on, <snip>

What??? Are you cheating on us‽‽‽

No, just foruming around. Waiting in parallel, most likely.

Ronald

789 -> 837. A small way to go.

Now at 837 -> 862. I did some sneak previewing, though. And saw that some of the jokes while Blitzing went totally unremarked. O well, such is Time.

Ronald
Spoiler:

jjjdavidson
Location: Outside: The Ozarks, North America ─ OTTside: Lost in the 1400s

Postby jjjdavidson » Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:43 am UTC

For the record, I'm in favor of continuing at least a nodding recognition of Newpage-papacy, just because it made these two first-posts a great deal easier to find and throw forward:

On NP 857, hoangthuansh wrote:if so make sure my thinking was wrong

Not quite sure what this post is about, but maybe it's a reference to the last newpix before it (in my pants):
charlie_grumbles wrote:continu-ONG
Spoiler:

And on NP 855, PoeticFoxOfTime wrote:Time has come for me to post I have viewed all of Time and have finally reached the present I have waited to make myself known so that I may not be from the past this may be all you hear of me but know I'm watching time and the forum that connects it as a lurker. May you wait quickly for Time!

Welcome, hoangthuansh and PoeticFoxOfTime! You've cleared moderation, come back and join the chaos discussion chaoticolloquy!
Don't worry. Feed squirpys.
Don't wait for me.
My OTC/OTT graphsMay include spoilers!
Helpful links: Time Wiki FAQrot-13 / Morse decoders
He won! He won! He won!
Knight Temporal. :) Ex-Loopist. :(

rvloon

Postby rvloon » Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:57 am UTC

TheMinim wrote:There are lots of different discussions.

What do you do?

I guess it's the same as being in a maze of twisty little passages, all alike. When in doubt, go north.

Ronald
Spoiler:

charlie_grumbles

Postby charlie_grumbles » Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:00 pm UTC

goi-ONG to get harder
-- Charlie Grumbles

mikro2nd

Postby mikro2nd » Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:00 pm UTC

nONGja'd!
Spoiler:
not lONG, now
One world, one soul
Time pass, the river rolls

charlie_grumbles

Postby charlie_grumbles » Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:07 pm UTC

mikro2nd wrote:ETA: I am also wondering what that raised section is immediately to the right of the larger tree... could it be that the tree was blown down, and we're seeing the old trunk lying on the ground, the tree being regrowth from the stump? (Another common sight in the forest.) :?

Hmmm. Sorry you didn't recognize the obvious :twisted:
I've used a little mirror magic to help you.
Spoiler:
flip.png
Does that help?
flip.png (12.3 KiB) Viewed 17421 times

Quoting GLR himself: Warning: this comic occasionally contains strong language (which may be unsuitable for children), unusual humor (which may be unsuitable for adults), and advanced mathematics (which may be unsuitable for liberal-arts majors).

Hmmm. No posts for .2 npx. Did I shock everyone into silence or are you all rofl and can't get up?
-- Charlie Grumbles

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:22 pm UTC

*looks at charlie's post*
It all becomes clear... Cuegan has been on the Isle of 4Chan all along...

rvloon wrote:For no apparent reason, I felt like filking Theo Nijland's 'Wanneer gaan we nou naar huis?' (When are we finally going home). It's on youtube.
<snip>

Bravo! :) My favorite bit:
rvloon wrote:I miss the moon mome molpy meming brightly
I miss my Blitzgirl, HAL9000 and DracoChrome
Well, you get me, and my drift by now I take it
I want my neverending story, intrepidly known
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Angelastic

Postby Angelastic » Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:24 pm UTC

Well now it looks like a mixture of internal and external female and male reproductive organs. Is that what it's supposed to look like, or have I just been on the internet too long?

Underwalks are common around here, though I don't know what they're called, if they're called anything. Much more convenient than waiting for cars to stop. Unfortunately, it turns out the word 'underwalk' is one of many words which gets this NSFW song in my head.

My prediction is a succession of larger and larger raptors swooping down and eating the other raptors, until one of them swoops down and eats, or at least captures, Cue and/or gan. This particular raptor is LaPetite's pet, and she's either riding it or waiting in her secret lair on Stickcrusher Mountain for it to find pretty wings and bring them back to her.

I'm glad people liked my Möbius strip explanation. :) I wish I could find the website I got some of it from (the site mentioned the chirality and spin 1/2iness of it, I only got excited about it and made the leap to, 'hey, so we get all this just by adding an extra dimension to the two-dimensional strip of paper! Now just add another 22 or so and we've got a universe! So that's what string theory is all about!')
Knight Temporal, and Archdeacon of buttermongery and ham and cheese sandwiches. Nobody sells butter except through me.
Image Smiley by yappobiscuits. Avatar by GLR, buffygirl, BlitzGirl & mscha, with cari.j.elliot's idea.
Haiku Detector
starts a trend to make way for
my robot army.

AnotherKevin

Postby AnotherKevin » Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:26 pm UTC

Exodies wrote:Er, shirly that should be "American English really needs a second-person singular"?

Certes thou knowest that English hath an entirely serviceable second person singular. (It might have escaped thee - because it hath lain asleep for nigh on four hundred years.)

And - callest thou me not, "Shirley!"

charlie_grumbles wrote:A comment about the clipped language. I think that here
Spoiler:

Me too.
I pant.
Go slow.
Wanna hike?

(That question is at least 50% serious - I know we hike in the same places, and we share enough interests that we might be congenial partners. It's hard to find a hiking partner that can stand my pedantry, my peculiar sense of humour, and my slow pace.)

charlie_grumbles wrote:Trees at the tops of mountains (assuming there are any) are normally quite deformed by wind and weather. Often it is very difficult to make a determination by sight alone. Some trees actually hug the ground like vines in that environment, where their siblings farther down are normal.

I don't know the local ecology, but I'd be a little surprised to see flag trees where so many of the trees nearby appear deciduous. Normally when the weather is severe enough to cause that sort of deformity, the growing season is too short for deciduous trees to survive, and the conifers (typically fir and spruce in this part of the world) take over. In some places the transition is quite abrupt: you literally step out of a mixed deciduous forest (maple, ash, beech, birch, ...) and into the balsam subalpine forest, with very little mixing of the two. So my bet's on lightning. If it curved the other way (growing sideways close to the ground, and then upward) I'd suspect that it had tipped over in an avalanche - or been shifted more slowly by soil creep - but survived to continue growing at its new orientation.

I suppose this obviously semiarid slope could be a "pygmy forest" ecosystem like what you find near San Luis Obispo, with a warm climate, but saline soil lacking micronutrients. Those often have stunted warm-climate trees, like Arbutus and live-oak. That's not as familiar to me: in my part of the world, arid, acid, or saline conditions generally give rise to a 'fire climax' community dominated by pitch pine and scrub oak, with an understory of blueberry and ferns.
All the rivers run into the sea, yet the sea is not full.
Unto the place from whence the rivers come, thither they return again.

azule
Saved

Postby azule » Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:35 pm UTC

newpixbot wrote:I wrote a sONG for y'all......

newpixbot, you're so cute. :D lovely.

Angelastic

Postby Angelastic » Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:38 pm UTC

AnotherKevin wrote:
charlie_grumbles wrote:A comment about the clipped language. I think that here
Spoiler:

Me too.
I pant.
Go slow.
Wanna hike?

So what you're saying is, you speak in short sentences in your pants?
Knight Temporal, and Archdeacon of buttermongery and ham and cheese sandwiches. Nobody sells butter except through me.
Image Smiley by yappobiscuits. Avatar by GLR, buffygirl, BlitzGirl & mscha, with cari.j.elliot's idea.
Haiku Detector
my robot army.

TimeLurker

Postby TimeLurker » Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:40 pm UTC

Throwing a first-post to the present.
PoeticFoxOfTime wrote:Time has come for me to post I have viewed all of Time and have finally reached the present I have waited to make myself known so that I may not be from the past this may be all you hear of me but know I'm watching time and the forum that connects it as a lurker. May you wait quickly for Time!

From a previous Time Lurker, I welcome you to the tribe and encourage you to join in the conversation. I too had planned on posting once and then slinking back into the shadows, but everyone here is just too awsomeful to resist and they've pulled me in.
Voice of the Silent
Owner of the contents of Cueball's head
Lurking Time-Ninja of the Past-Post

akacat

Postby akacat » Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:48 pm UTC

My prediction:

They'll reach the steepest part of the climb. Unable to see that they are near the top and/or a significant plateau complete with interesting tree, they will debate whether it's worth trying to climb. They'll eventually make one or two attempts, then turn back, never seeing the tree.

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:51 pm UTC

Angelastic wrote:<snip> My prediction is a succession of larger and larger raptors swooping down and eating the other raptors, until one of them swoops down and eats, or at least captures, Cue and/or gan. This particular raptor is LaPetite's pet, and she's either riding it or waiting in her secret lair on Stickcrusher Mountain for it to find pretty wings and bring them back to her. </snip>
Spoiler:
I made this half-molpy, half-beesnake facebug to please you
But I get the feeling that you don't like it
What's with all the screaming?
You like beesnakes, you like molpies
Maybe you don't like facebugs so much
Maybe I used too many beesnakes
Isn't it enough to know that I ruined a molpy making a gift for you?

Yeah, so, I didn't actually coma when I said I was going to coma. I'm not sure what is better evidence of this, the fact that I even attempted such a songody, or the fact that I'm too coma-deprived to finish it.

*If you don't know what song this is referencing, I feel sorry for you. Almost as sorry as I'm feeling for my own crazy self right now.
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

TimeLurker

Postby TimeLurker » Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:51 pm UTC

akacat wrote:My prediction:

They'll reach the steepest part of the climb. Unable to see that they are near the top and/or a significant plateau complete with interesting tree, they will debate whether it's worth trying to climb. They'll eventually make one or two attempts, then turn back, never seeing the tree.

I'm still hoping that we will at some point get to see the steam bottle.
Voice of the Silent
Owner of the contents of Cueball's head
Lurking Time-Ninja of the Past-Post

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:59 pm UTC

Spoiler:

What if "steam bottle" is a euphemism?
1) What is it a euphemism for?
2) Why is it so ugh?
3) No, I'm not serious.
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

azule
Saved

Postby azule » Mon Jun 17, 2013 1:01 pm UTC

I made this gif because I thought maybe those long lingering scenes followed by M&C still being at step one of the next frame meant dual frames were playing at once. This attachment doesn't demonstrate it too well, but I hope you get the idea.

The gif:
Spoiler:

The attachment:
Spoiler:
2061-2070(dual).gif

The *shrug*:
Spoiler:
*shrug*

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Mon Jun 17, 2013 1:03 pm UTC

That cliff might cause some broken bONGS:

Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Valarya

Postby Valarya » Mon Jun 17, 2013 1:08 pm UTC

mscha wrote:Newpixbot posted a sONG! I had no idea it could do that. (I have no idea how it did that...) It looks a bit disappointed with the lack of response. Image (It appears to have a crush on Valarya, though...)

I was thoroughly shocked at the lack of response to newpixbot's amazing new talent! (tho azule did call him cute for writing a song :mrgreen: ) Does he really look like Marvin?! Truly? :shock: Is he depressed? :P
Caridnal of Cupcakes | Friaress of Frosting | Pope of Pocket Pastries
Occasional basement dweller.

ucim

Postby ucim » Mon Jun 17, 2013 1:18 pm UTC

Act 1, scene 11 (continued)
(Act 1, scene 12 follows)

At rise, a relatively flat area in otherwise hilly vegetated terran. The BlitzRocket is center stage, surrounded by smoke and steam which is lit from behind by many different colored lights. The hatch is open, and a crowd, which includes the First Cleric and the fourth scribe, has gathered. The Pope and second scribe emerge from the BlitzRocket, silhouetted by the smoke and steam.
fourth scribe wrote:Is that a rocket in your pocket, or are you just happy to see me?
The Pope wrote:Oh, how original.
second scribe wrote:Actually, it is something of great might.
The Pope, still wearing the second scribe's robe inside out, reaches into where the bulge is, and grasps something underneath.
First Cleric wrote:O...kayyy, I don't think I want to see this. Moving right along.
The Pope pulls the object out of his cloak and holds it up. The crowd gasps and kneels.
third cleric wrote:The Holy Arrow of Armageddon!
seventh scribe, turning to the fourth scribe, wrote:I wonder if they found your towel too.
fourth scribe wrote:If they did, it probably needs washing again.
seventh scribe wrote:wink wink, nudge nudge!
The Pope addresses the First Cleric
The Pope wrote:Tell me news. How has it been here during our adventure? I see you've moved on quite a bit. I trust there have been no... calamaties?
third cleric wrote:Tell him about the grapevines.
second scribe wrote:Grapevines? I missed grapevines?
first herald wrote:And a waterfall! I don't have to climb trees any more - we have a perfect spot for my...
second scribe wrote:Wait a minute. Tell me about the grapevines. We gotta go back!
Spoiler:
The Pope turns to the second scribe as the crowd stands back up from kneeling.
The Pope wrote:Yes, all in due time,... uh... what is your name - I don't think you ever told me.
fourth scribe wrote:Yeah, they all say that the next morning. Quest my ass!
sixth cleric wrote:Looks like he's already got one! nudge nudge say-no-more
The second scribe is about to speak but is interrupted by the First Cleric.
First Cleric wrote:There is one piece of news you might be interested in.
the Pope wrote:Don't tell me. Another BlitzGirl has arrived and been crowned in my absence.
First Cleric wrote:How did you know?
the Pope wrote:Let's just say I'm not as dumb as you look. I would like to meet this new BlitzGirl. I take it all went smoothly.
The entire crowd bursts into laughter.
The Pope wrote:That's what I was afraid of. Fill me in later, right now we're both pretty tired, and I think my pillow needs company.
There is a great rushing sound, as if from the sea. (cue 62) and the sky darkens. (cue 63) Then there is a lighning flash and the sky turns red, then yellow, then green, and the colors start swirling around in psychedelic patterns. (cue 64 flash, linked to follow-cue: multicolor chase sequence #4 on sky). A low rumbling is heard, which builds, (cue 65) as general pandmonium takes over. The timewaiters all point at the sky, shouting about another BlitzGirl arrival.A second BlitzRocket is slowly lowered from the sky, (cue 66) amid steam and smoke. (cue 67: backlight through fog - link to cue 68: restore normal daylight over 20 sec.) It bears a medallion of flames surrounded by the outline of a red cross.The BlitzRocket lands, the hatch opens, and taixzo steps out from the craft, emerging from the fog.
taixzo wrote:This is a good world.
There is general cheering, and taixzo is lifted up over the heads of all the timewaiters, and is carried offstage by the crowd during the rest of this scene.
First Cleric wrote:Welcome taixzo, BlitzGirl the Next!
The Pope wrote:Wait a minute - taixzo didn't go anywhere. I spoke with taixzo just a week ago!
the second scribe wrote:That explains the scroll. Look.
The second scribe shows the Pope the scroll with the flame and cross emblem on it.
the second scribe wrote:This was written in a hurry. Recently. Look at the date.
The Pope wrote:That's impossible! Nobody can blitz the whole thread in a week.
the First Cleric wrote:Not only has taixzo done it, but so has CasCat.
The Pope looks blankly at him.
the First Cleric wrote:The other BlitzGirl... The one you said you knew about?
The Pope wrote:Oh, yes, that one. I think maybe you'd better tell me all about this now, rather than later. Where is this CasCat?
the First Cleric wrote:She's been spending all her time with his Meojesty.
The Pope wrote:edfel? I want a word with him also. About those... maps... of his.
The Pope and the First Cleric exit stage right, as the First Cleric begins filling him in about the events of the past few days. The second scribe is left alone with the sixth cleric and the two BlitzRockets. The sixth cleric follows the second scribe as she walks over to Taixzo's craft to inspect it.
the sixth cleric wrote:The Quest... did you find what you were looking for?
the second scribe wrote:I think so.
the sixth cleric wrote:And the Pope? If I may ask, how was he?
The second scribe pauses a moment, and looks her straight in the eye.
the second scribe wrote:Brave.
Blackout. End of scene 11.(cue 69 blackout.) (cue 70 sc 12)

Act 1, scene 12

At rise: A tent in the campsite. The back of the tent is open, facing the audience, so we can see inside. His Meowjesty edfel is cuddled up with CasCat. Upstage, the Pope and the First Cleric approach the (closed) entrance of the tent. The First Cleric addresses them from outside.
the First Cleric wrote:Your Meowjesty - you have a visitor.
CasCat giggles.
edfel wrote:You ain't kiddin'! Go away.
the First Cleric wrote:I mean... you have another visitor.
edfel wrote:Is she cute?
CasCat wrote:What am I? Chopped molpy?
edfel wrote:I didn't mean it that way. Well, ok, actually I did mean it that way, but I didn't mean what meaning it that way means, if you know what I mean.
the First Cleric wrote:It's the Pope. And he wishes audience with both of you.
CasCat and edfel look at each other.
CasCat wrote:It would be an honor.
The Pope and the First Cleric enter through the tent flap, and CasCat bows before the Pope. Reluctantly, edfel follows suit.
CasCat wrote:It is an honor to be even in your presence, your Pontiffness.
The Pope wrote:No, it is the other way around. I am merely a Pope. You, however, have done something which is far more awesome and humbling. Is it true what they say - that you have Blitzed the entire thread? The One True Thread?
CasCat wrote:Yes, indeed. It was a most wonderful and relaxing experience. I am far the richer for it. And also, by having done so, for meeting his Meowjesty.
The Pope wrote:Yes, I have a few words for him myself. But that can wait until later. For now, I want to ensure that you get your proper and due recognition as BlitzGirl the Next.
CasCat wrote:Oh, I already have. Or, I think I have. The First Cleric held a ceremony just the other day for me. There was a bit of pandemonium at the end though, when he read the pronouncement.
The Pope turns to the First Cleric.
The Pope wrote:Oh? You seem to have omitted that part.
the First Cleric wrote:Well, there was so little time - I couldn't explain everything on this little walk here.
CasCat wrote:Things got a little out of hand with the dancing, and then there was that berry juice something-or-other.
The Pope wrote:I've heard stories, and I have a feeling I'll be hearing a few more in the next few days.
CasCat wrote:I'm sure it's fine, but you have another party in mind, I never turn down a party.
The Pope wrote:Good. I love a party too. So, it's settled. But I have one question for you. I am told that you Blitzed the entire thread in only one week. That's seven hundred pages. Is that right?
CasCat wrote:Seven hundred thirty three, to be exact.
The Pope wrote:A hundred pages a day! That's... well, that's not only a record, that is a whole new category! In fact, it's a whole new kind of category!
CasCat wrote:Category. I like that.
edfel looks at CasCat.
edfel wrote:meow.
The Pope looks at the First Cleric
The Pope wrote:A lot can be accomplished in very little time, if you have the mind to put to it. Make ready the celebration! Tell the hearalds to sound the ram's horn the highest hills! This is an awesome day!
The First Cleric leaves, and the Pope turns to edfel and hands him the map.
The Pope wrote:Now, about this map.
edfel wrote:It needed updating.
The Pope wrote:Needed updating? We were on Holy Quest, and this obsolete map put the second scribe and I in great danger, perilous peril, and also a bit of a pickle. I was only able to save the day by looking out the window of the BlitzRocket and recognizing a few things from memory. Our second scribe deftly brought the craft home while I was glued to the window, telling her what I thought I saw.
edfel wrote:It needed updating. The second scribe asked to borrow it; I didn't expect you to use it on Quest!
The Pope wrote:Expect? Expect? This is a most Holy Quest! We must be prepared for anything! Even the Spanish Inquisition!
The three of them look at the tent flaps and wait for it, but nothing happens.
edfel wrote:Anyway, I have an updated map. Here. I've drawn lots more lines and labels and symbols and things.
The Pope takes the new map from edfel, and looks at it.
The Pope wrote:Very nice. Very very nice. I especially likes the lines, and the labels. And the symbols. And all the... things.
edfel wrote:I couldn't have said it better myself.
The Pope wrote:Now, if you both will excuse me, I have to make up some badly needed sleep before our pronouncements. It has been an honor.
The Pope leaves through the tent flap, as edfel turns to CasCat.
edfel wrote:Those things have windows?
CasCat wrote:Yes, but I never use them. They show the outside. Very dangerous.
Blackout.
Jose
<--previous (NP 805) / table of contents (on xkcd wiki) | next (NP 902) -->
Last edited by ucim on Tue Jun 25, 2013 5:51 pm UTC, edited 3 times in total.
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Heartfelt thanks from addams and from me - you really made a difference.

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Mon Jun 17, 2013 1:26 pm UTC

More Acts of the Clerics! Yay! Image I knew there was a reason I hadn't coma'd yet.

Valarya wrote:
Spoiler:
mscha wrote:Newpixbot posted a sONG! I had no idea it could do that. (I have no idea how it did that...) It looks a bit disappointed with the lack of response. Image (It appears to have a crush on Valarya, though...)
I was thoroughly shocked at the lack of response to newpixbot's amazing new talent! (tho azule did call him cute for writing a song :mrgreen: ) Does he really look like Marvin?! Truly? :shock: Is he depressed? :P

I think the lack of response was due to many OTTers still being a-coma, or preparing for the Outside phenomenon known as the work-wip. Newpixbot needs to learn to Wait for it a bit better, I think. But it was a cute song. :)

Okay, now I really am off to coma. Please try to avoid any Chaos or Linetextageddons while I'm gone.
To discourage me from returning until I am fully decoma'd, I'll post a pair of molpuppies reenacting my shameful near-coma state:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Wait for it.
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Angelastic

Postby Angelastic » Mon Jun 17, 2013 1:30 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:
Angelastic wrote:<snip> My prediction is a succession of larger and larger raptors swooping down and eating the other raptors, until one of them swoops down and eats, or at least captures, Cue and/or gan. This particular raptor is LaPetite's pet, and she's either riding it or waiting in her secret lair on Stickcrusher Mountain for it to find pretty wings and bring them back to her. </snip>
Spoiler:
I made this half-molpy, half-beesnake facebug to please you
But I get the feeling that you don't like it
What's with all the screaming?
You like beesnakes, you like molpies
Maybe you don't like facebugs so much
Maybe I used too many beesnakes
Isn't it enough to know that I ruined a molpy making a gift for you?

Yeah, so, I didn't actually coma when I said I was going to coma. I'm not sure what is better evidence of this, the fact that I even attempted such a songody, or the fact that I'm too coma-deprived to finish it.

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE! It was JoComa time! :D :D
Haiku Detector
my robot army.

mscha

Postby mscha » Mon Jun 17, 2013 1:33 pm UTC

Valarya wrote:

Well, newpixbot is still a virtual entity and hasn't materialized – yet. But once it does, I suppose it could look like any of these:
Spoiler:
Image Image Image Image Image

We'd better hope that it gets over its paranoia before it materializes, though...
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

rvloon

Postby rvloon » Mon Jun 17, 2013 1:36 pm UTC

I seem to be in the present, and apparently appropriately condimented.

Ronald
Spoiler:

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”