Kronecker delta / please help me with my homework

For the discussion of math. Duh.

Moderators: gmalivuk, Prelates, Moderators General

Kronecker delta / please help me with my homework

Postby Mat » Wed May 09, 2007 12:59 pm UTC

Hi, this is probably a stupid question, but I suck at maths :(

in a problem sheet for atomic physics I've been told to use:
the integral of Y*_lm Y_l'm' sin(theta) dthetadphi = kronecker delta_l,l' kronecker delta m,m'

I get that kronecker delta of l,m = 1 if theyre equal, 0 otherwise, but I don't understand what the subscripts mean in this case, how are l,m related to l prime and m prime?

In my question I have a sum over a (from 0 to infinity), and a sum over b (from -a to a) of Y*_ab(theta1,phi1) Y_ab(theta2,phi2) which I'm then integrating over two volumes, dV_1,dV_2. (theres some other stuff as well, that depends on r1 and r2) How do I rewrite this Y*Y part in terms of delta functions? It would be nice if that whole part was just delta_ab but I can't just write that down. :(

*edit* this is what I have to work out:
where
Mat

Postby Gelsamel » Wed May 09, 2007 1:23 pm UTC

The Cat in your avvy is so cute. It looks like my cat :-).
Death is the final sorrowful parting from which there is no return. But hope is not yet lost, for there is a simple incantation, a spell of transmutation that brings about the reversal, that permits escape from the infinite well.

"I was here with you"

That is my golden truth.
Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Re: Kronecker delta / please help me with my homework

Postby Cosmologicon » Wed May 09, 2007 2:33 pm UTC

Mat wrote:How do I rewrite this Y*Y part in terms of delta functions? It would be nice if that whole part was just delta_ab but I can't just write that down. :(

I don't remember my Bessel functions as well as I should, but it's probably not that. You should rewrite Y* in terms of Y. Look at the form of Y_ab and see what happens if you complex-conjugate it. You may even have an identity that shows you. I'm just throwing out an example here, but it might be something like:

Y*_ab = Y_(-a)b if b is even
Y*_ab = (-1)^a Y_ab if b is odd

You know?
Cosmologicon

Postby Mat » Wed May 09, 2007 3:18 pm UTC

I don't think I know what Y_ab actually is. :?

I think I may have done it by writing out the theta_1,phi_1 bits seperately from the theta_2 phi_2 bits and writing the psi_100 as a function of Y_00 so I got Y*_ab Y_00 sin theta1 and Y*_00 Y_ab sin theta2, which are the right form for the equation they told me to use, at least, and make the horrible sums ago away.
Mat

Postby Mat » Wed May 09, 2007 3:18 pm UTC

Gelsamel wrote:The Cat in your avvy is so cute. It looks like my cat :-).

:)
Mat

Postby Cosmologicon » Wed May 09, 2007 3:22 pm UTC

Well it can't be that hard to find out what Y_ab is. I know I've seen the function before, but I can't remember the name. If you give the name it should be easy to search for.
Cosmologicon

Postby Mat » Wed May 09, 2007 3:53 pm UTC

I don't think it represents a fancy function I've never heard off, I thought it was part of a wave function? I think the subscript letters represent quantum numbers, but I'm not entirely sure - I don't really understand the physical significance of it all.
Mat

Postby Cosmologicon » Wed May 09, 2007 4:29 pm UTC

Okay, sorry, I was completely misreading. You're right, you don't need the form of Y_ab. You're also right that you can't just replace Y*Y with delta functions. You need to have the integral around it too. So replace the 1/r_12 in your integral there with the summation you're given, and see if you can manipulate it so that you have the integral over Y*Y.

Hint: summation and integration commute.
Cosmologicon

Postby adlaiff6 » Wed May 09, 2007 4:54 pm UTC

Looks like my old cat too, before he got fat. Now he's slimming down again though.
3.14159265... wrote:What about quantization? we DO live in a integer world?

crp wrote:oh, i thought you meant the entire funtion was f(n) = (-1)^n
i's like girls u crazy
adlaiff6

Postby skeptical scientist » Wed May 09, 2007 10:00 pm UTC

Cosmologicon wrote:Okay, sorry, I was completely misreading. You're right, you don't need the form of Y_ab. You're also right that you can't just replace Y*Y with delta functions. You need to have the integral around it too. So replace the 1/r_12 in your integral there with the summation you're given, and see if you can manipulate it so that you have the integral over Y*Y.

Hint: summation and integration commute.

At least if you're a physicist. If you're a mathematician you actually need to check that the things you are summing and integrating are nice enough first.
I'm looking forward to the day when the SNES emulator on my computer works by emulating the elementary particles in an actual, physical box with Nintendo stamped on the side.

"With math, all things are possible." —Rebecca Watson
skeptical scientist
closed-minded spiritualist

Postby Gelsamel » Thu May 10, 2007 1:43 am UTC

adlaiff6 wrote:Looks like my old cat too, before he got fat. Now he's slimming down again though.

My cat is just huge, he is like a panther. Rawr ~
Death is the final sorrowful parting from which there is no return. But hope is not yet lost, for there is a simple incantation, a spell of transmutation that brings about the reversal, that permits escape from the infinite well.

"I was here with you"

That is my golden truth.
Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby Redoubts » Tue May 15, 2007 1:01 am UTC

Kronecker delta l,l', m,m' means that the integral is not zero only if both m = m' AND l = l'

Y is the Legendre polynomial times e^im(phi). However, the form is probably irrelevant to you.

the trick is to note that you can throw away some (most) terms of the series because of the kronecker delta.
Redoubts

Return to Mathematics