I like obscure rap/hiphop...do you?

It's only cool if no one's heard of it.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

zacpol

I like obscure rap/hiphop...do you?

Postby zacpol » Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:53 pm UTC

I Like way too many underground groups for my own good. Like, I love rap and hiphop but I feel like it's corrupted and given a bad name by 99% of what's played on the radio.
Lately, all I've been listening to is a few groups: Common Market, Blue Scholars, Eulorhythmics, Asheru (he's actually pretty well-known for The Boondocks). I HIGHLY recommend any of them to anyone who loves good music.

And, since I'm always looking for new music, can anyone recommend some other groups in this vein?

une see
Is my girl

Re: I like obscure rap/hiphop...do you?

Postby une see » Tue Dec 09, 2008 12:28 am UTC

I really recommend Little Brother. You can listen to some of their songs on Youtube: Dreams, Beautiful Morning, All For You, etc.

Hmm...People Under the Stairs too: Acid Raindrops, San Francisco Knights, The Wiz, etc.

And of course Nujabes! Atoll Moao (made by Goldlix, but on one of Nujabes' compilations), Beyond, Counting Stars, etc.

Well, there's lots more but I'm too lazy to actually link them. Hope you enjoy, and find some amazing stuff! :)
T.S. Eliot in "The Waste Land" wrote:APRIL is the cruellest month, breeding
Lilacs out of the dead land, mixing
Memory and desire, stirring
Dull roots with spring rain.

kinigget

Postby kinigget » Tue Dec 09, 2008 2:17 am UTC

us3 - Cantaloop. As well as some other stuff by us3. I think there's more but I can't remember what they are at the moment.
The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:I can tell from his word choice that he is using his penis to type.

Steax wrote:I think the courts are kinda busy right now. Something about cake and due process.

Zak

Postby Zak » Tue Dec 09, 2008 2:25 am UTC

Wonder is good, I also really like Cadence Weapon. Same with edIT, but he leans to more of a techno/glitch sound in some of his albums.

The Bug is amazing.
*waggles eyebrows*

a386

Postby a386 » Wed Dec 10, 2008 12:44 am UTC

guys this thread is a good resource for me because i have been looking to break into this sort of thing but it's hard for me to get started! also i like Asheru but i admit i just found him through the boondocks theme.

Wardial3r

Postby Wardial3r » Wed Dec 10, 2008 2:02 am UTC

I haven't recognized much of this.
But edIT's "Artsy Remix" (Ft. The Grouch)
Was one of the funniest songs I have heard in a while.
17/M/CA

Zing Pop.

Zak

Postby Zak » Wed Dec 10, 2008 2:13 am UTC

I love that song. Especially because I go to an artsy school.
*waggles eyebrows*

zacpol

Postby zacpol » Wed Dec 10, 2008 2:58 am UTC

So i just got a new Murs CD..."Murs 3:16 - 9th edition". I had one of his other CDs before, Murray's revenge, which I think was better than this one, but I forgot to mention it in the OP.

still, good album though.

And my friend lent me two Little Brother albums- The Listening and Minstrel Show. So far, so good.

tin
Foxy McAwesomesworth

Postby tin » Wed Dec 10, 2008 11:55 am UTC

What an awesome thread.

zacpol wrote: I love rap and hiphop but I feel like it's corrupted and given a bad name by 99% of what's played on the radio.

I always have to argue this point with my ' music stops at indie' friends. It's a sad, sad state of affairs.

Anyways, i'm going to check out all the artists linked here as soon as i'm not at work (read: now). Recently i've been getting into Flying Lotus a lot, but i'm not so sure they're that obscure, to be honest.

I think there's quite a lot to be said of the producers of these underground hip hop records too, as they can mix up some fierce stuff. I'd recommend to check out Hudson Mohawke and Rustie's stuff especially, both hip-hop/electronica producers from Glasgow.
i dare you to take me on...

thatguy

Postby thatguy » Thu Dec 11, 2008 2:56 am UTC

Is Atmosphere obscure?
I don't listen to much hip hop/rap but The Lucy Ford EP gets a listen about once a week.

Chai Kovsky wrote:Thatguy, you are my Big Damn Hero!
Thank you! You win the day!

Hyena

Postby Hyena » Thu Dec 11, 2008 9:19 am UTC

Tricky and Massive Attack are huge in the trip-hop scene, but seeing as that's a fairly small scene, i guess it counts here. They're excellent.
Nougatrocity wrote:I refute it with having several female friends that OH MY GOD I WANT TO SEX. But that doesn't get in the way of friendship.

thatguy

Postby thatguy » Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:06 pm UTC

Yeah, I love Massive Attack, but them doing the theme for House disqualifies them from the "obscure" category...

zacpol

Postby zacpol » Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:48 pm UTC

for those interested, here's a link to a half hour video of Murs on some radio show, being interviewed (sorta?) and singing. It's really good, I just finished watching it. I can't get over how smart and well-spoken this guy is, and he has some amazing opinions about rap and black culture. Highly recommended.

http://www.kcrw.com/media-player/mediaPlayer2.html?type=video&id=mb081209murs

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:55 pm UTC

I wouldn't call massive effect hiphop.

Common, Murs, Atmosphere, Sage Francis, Aesop Rock (not remotely obscure, but hardly sold out, and really head and shoulders better then just about anyone else), Talib Kweli, Last Emperor, Eyedea, Digable Planest, J5, Mos Def (heee), Zion I, J-Live, Chamomile...
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

zacpol

Postby zacpol » Fri Dec 12, 2008 10:39 pm UTC

so i'm listening to Wordsworth right now, and he blows my mind with every song. Good luck finding any of his music, though.

Zak

Postby Zak » Sat Dec 13, 2008 12:01 am UTC

Nujabes and Atmosphere are amazing.

I'm not sure if The Streets is obscure, but I'd never heard of him before a song of his came up on pandora.
*waggles eyebrows*

cyberia

Postby cyberia » Sat Dec 13, 2008 1:44 am UTC

thatguy wrote:Yeah, I love Massive Attack, but them doing the theme for House disqualifies them from the "obscure" category...

They didn't 'do' the theme song. They wrote a song way back in the early '90s that was then licensed to be used as the House theme song. That song (Teardrops) was also one of the first songs to have an entirely CG video clip and was fairly amazing in its day.

On topic:

Check out Guerilla Funk. They have a pretty decent line-up including Paris, who is, imo, one of the best socio-political rappers around.

Also, check out Elefant Traks for some awesome Australian hip hop. I recommend The Herd and Ozi Batla.

Or Obese which is more straight 'old-school' Aussie hip hop. Funkoars or Bliss & Eso are good for dumb, party tunes.

Sage Francis is a giant douche but some people get a kick out of his stuff.

Busdriver has some pretty good flows.
The patron saint of self-injury. And the glitter sores will heal themselves.

"Somebody said, 'every moment of your life, of everybody's lives, is an unpremeditated work of art'. That's creativity, that's all I know about creativity."

thatguy

Postby thatguy » Sat Dec 13, 2008 5:32 pm UTC

Danger Mouse's Grey Album.
MF Doom.
Pretty much anything from Rhymesayers. Gotta represent the local talent.

Rhubarb

Postby Rhubarb » Sun Dec 21, 2008 12:21 am UTC

Dälek are very good. Quite noisy, how I like it. :)

Old Public Enemy is great too. Not obscure, but that shouldn't stop you if it's good.

That's basically all the hip hop I know...

Solid Freeman
Location: On the outskirts of the one of the smallest of the biggest of the second smallest.

Postby Solid Freeman » Sun Dec 21, 2008 11:39 pm UTC

darn, someone already mentioned Murs and Nujabes. I second the Nujabes, anyway. Does anyone know any "trip-hop" or "jazz rap" group that's similar?
Can I get a "Fuck yeah, bismuth!"? (bismuth picture in spoiler)

Spoiler:

cyberia

Postby cyberia » Mon Dec 22, 2008 10:06 am UTC

The patron saint of self-injury. And the glitter sores will heal themselves.

"Somebody said, 'every moment of your life, of everybody's lives, is an unpremeditated work of art'. That's creativity, that's all I know about creativity."

psykx

Postby psykx » Mon Dec 22, 2008 5:23 pm UTC

I'm getting pretty sick of people chatting about guns and drugs in hip hop so my taste is moving away from rap and into downtempo and breakbeat stuff. u/g stuff I like includes skinnyman (hyposcritical I know, but he once missed a gig because he was inside so...), phi-life cypher (not ug), souls of mischief (if it's ug or not depends on your perspective), yesterdays new quintet, vicktor vaugns first album (MF Doom), madvillian, royksopp etc..

also the good the bad and the queen is high on my listening list atm although I can't even pretend it's hip hop
Berengal wrote:Only if they're killer robots. Legos are happy robots. Besides, even if they were killer robots it wouldn't stop me. You can't stop science and all that.

bennyprofane

Postby bennyprofane » Mon Mar 02, 2009 1:14 am UTC

Man, Busdriver is really cool indeed. As are Blue Scholars.

Also of mention are Optimus Rhyme, Jesse Dangerously, and Wordburglar; they all tend to have the trappings of nerd rap, but they're still really good as musicians even without their gimmicks, though Jesse D. is a bit close in style to ol' Sage Francis.

I'm also sort of shocked no one's mentioned MC Paul Barman--maybe he's not super underground? I dunno, but his rhymes crack me up.
"The single flower contains more brightness than a hundred flowers." - Yasunari Kawabata

"Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do." - Isaac Asimov

Bobbias

Postby Bobbias » Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:03 am UTC

I love this stuff, and I can't stand the commercial crap that gets radio play, so here's a list of the stuff I've been listening to or collecting recently. With youtube links where possible. and sorry if I repeat anything before, I'm just going through my whole library.

• Black Ice - The Death of Willie Lynch: Great delivery here, and very personal. He's also a well known Slam Poet, so he has a very poetic delivery and great lyrics. Black Ice - Lone Soldier Easily the most personal track on the album, but one of the best.
  • Braille - Shades Of Grey: Some nice stuff here, great production, and lots of catchy hooks. Braille - Shades Of Grey
  • CunninLynguists (Anything by them): Proof that southern rap isn't all booty rap. These guys kick some SERIOUS ass, and they always have Tonedeff in at least one song on every album. Wicked production, and some VERY well written lyrics. CunninLynguists - At The Gates from their album A Piece of Strange. Features Tonedeff.
  • Immortal Technique: (ok, not necessarily obscure, but definitely worth a mention here) Not much needs to be said here, Immortal kicks ass. Even some people who don't like rap like his stuff. Immortal Technique - Dance With The Devil This song is quite possibly the reason I began liking this stuff.
  • Jazz Liberatorz: Now this is Jazz Rap. They go as far as having the jazz played live when they perform. I've only got one album, which is more of a tribute to jazz and early hip hop than anything, but it's a great listen nonetheless. Jazz Liberatorz - When The Clock Ticks Feat. J.Sands Great example of their stuff.
  • Lyrics Born - Everywhere At Once: This guy has a great sense of humor in his music. Very funky sound, too. Lyrics can be pretty shallow at times, but that really doesn't detract from it anyway. Lyrics Born - I Like It, I Love It One of the odder songs on the album, but really fun.
  • Muzion - Mentalite Moune Morne: This group is a couple (3, I think) Canadians from Montreal. As you may have guessed, they rap in French, but if you can get past that, they're pretty awesome. They rap about a number of things, but one of the big things is that they make lots of mention of their Hatian background and even sing part of one of their songs in Hatian Creole. I really enjoy these guys. Muzion - La Ti Vi Neg This song is sung partially in Hatian creole, and draws heavily on traditional Hatian music.
  • Non Phixion: If you like hardcore rap, you'll love Non Phixion. The group consists of Ill Bill and Goretex, with Necro doing almost all the production work. Sure, there's a lot of rapping about drugs, but with the level of production, and the style, you can easily overlook that (If you're into the style anyway, definitely not for everyone). Non Phixion - Say Goodbye To Yesterday A ballad, as amazing as it is coming out of these guys. Easily one of my favourites off the album.
  • Peeping Tom: One of the many side projects of Mike Patton. Hard to describe really, it's kinda like a Trip Hop/Hip Hop approach to pop music. It features collaboration with many different artists, including Rahzel, Massive Attack, and Kool Keith, among others. Truly amazing work. Peeping Tom - Mojo (f. Rahzel) Love this track.
  • The Grouch - Show You The World: Cool stuff, The Grouch has a nice touch. Very RnB based, got that nice groove to it. The Grouch - Breath Showcases his soulful sound really well.
  • Tonedeff - Archetype: Damn this guy can rap. He's one of the fastest rappers out there at the moment, but he's not a gimmick like some of them, he doesn't just rap everything so fast you can't understand it, he combines well written lyrics with an insane delivery. Tonedeff - Porcelain Doesn't really showcase his speed, but you get a feel for how his ballads are. Go check out the track Velocity for a great example of his speed.
  • Y Society - Travel At Your Own Pace: Definitely some weird stuff. Another one that's hard to really describe. You really just have to listen to them to figure out whether you like them. Y Society - This Is An Introduction Shows you how jazzy they can be. And just because they're much more than that, check out Never Off (On & On) too.
  • Zion I: Easily my favourite here. Awesome production, fairly serious subject matter, without trying to be too personal. Ok, there's so much here that I need more than 2 videos, anyway, here's Zion I & The Grouch - Badlands, Silly Puddy (f. The Grouch), Take Over

This list took WAY too long to make :/
Last edited by Bobbias on Tue Mar 03, 2009 8:34 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

thatguy

Postby thatguy » Tue Mar 03, 2009 1:58 am UTC

The Grammar Club - it's nerdy rap/rock
Del tha Funkee Homosapien

invisibl

Postby invisibl » Tue Mar 03, 2009 3:29 am UTC

This thread nas become less underground and more anticom

Therefore

Braintax
Doctor OCtagon
Talib Kweli
The Roots

also.....For the triphop heads Try FIla Brazilia iffa ya havent already.

xfactorinfinity

Postby xfactorinfinity » Tue Mar 03, 2009 7:12 pm UTC

Metermaids. So. Much.

Especially that track.

BenTheCarotte

Postby BenTheCarotte » Wed Mar 11, 2009 2:35 am UTC

Sadistik.

This artist will blow your head off.

Huginn

Postby Huginn » Mon Apr 06, 2009 11:12 am UTC

Does anyone here like Dan Le Sac vs. Scroobius Pip? I can't get Angles out of my head, especially Thou Shalt Always Kill.

I also dig Sage Francis, Aesop Rock, Flobots, Immortal Technique, Eminem (he's got a good flow, sorry) and the Jazz Liberatorz.

tommclaughlan

Postby tommclaughlan » Fri Apr 10, 2009 1:12 am UTC

Anything involving Doseone is pretty obscure, and there's a few Hip Hop style projects he's been involved with.

Check out cLOUDDEAD, Themselves, 13&God (13&God have a lot more electronica/mellow influences)

LL Cool J
___ and ___

Postby LL Cool J » Thu Apr 23, 2009 5:58 am UTC

Huginn wrote:Does anyone here like Dan Le Sac vs. Scroobius Pip? I can't get Angles out of my head, especially Thou Shalt Always Kill.

Yeah! You know what, I'm going to listen to it right now. I couldn't pick a favourite. Love this album a whole lot.

I second... lots of bands that have already been listed. Damn, I need to get onto my good rap/hiphop more, I can't think of anything else to add. Hermitude and Urthboy are pretty cool. I just listened to Phrase Clockwork and now I am never going to get that sample out of my head.
Rippy wrote:Slogan: "Beauty. Grace. Fluticasone propionate. Inhale twice daily."

DSenette

Postby DSenette » Thu Apr 23, 2009 3:31 pm UTC

tricky is great....some of the only hip hop esque music i can listen to (probably lack of exposure to decent stuff)....

lord T and eloise are GREAT if you want obscure aristocrunk (since they're the only people in the genre)...they mix humor with fat beats....it's really fun...and the live show is awesome
The Righteous Hand Of Retribution
"The evaporation of 4 million who believe this crap would leave the world an instantly better place." ~Andre Codresu (re: "the Rapture")

sir2you

Postby sir2you » Fri Apr 23, 2010 5:35 am UTC

Lots of people have already mentioned Atmosphere. (Woot woot Minneapolis) He's not obscure, but still hella good and hardly ever played on the radio.

How bout K'naan, or Emmanuel Jal? K'naan is somewhat well known especially because of Waving Flag. He's amazing though.

Both of them grew up in tough situations and those two songs are a bit a their respective stories.
„‹•**•›„„‹•*„‹•**•›„„‹•*„‹•* "There are two ways to live your life; as if nothing is *•›„„‹•**•›„*•›„„‹•**•›„*•›„
*•›„*•›„„‹•**•›„*•›„„‹•**•›„ a miracle, or as if everything is a miracle." - Einstein „‹•*„‹•**•›„„‹•*„‹•**•›„„‹•*

socynicalsohip

Postby socynicalsohip » Sun Apr 25, 2010 12:14 pm UTC

to the OP.... Yes, yes I do. These artist get alot of rotation on my Ipod at present.

-People Under the Stairs
-Giant Panda
-DJ Format
-Abdominal
-Chali 2na
-Shing02
-Ugly Duckling
-Nujabes
It's ok I wasn't using my civil liberties anyhow...

Subscribe to my Choon-cast at http://whoheshouldbe.libsyn.com/rss

modularblues

Postby modularblues » Sun Apr 25, 2010 5:39 pm UTC

Psyche Origami's lyrics are thought-provoking. And their backbeats are curious.

bigglesworth
I feel like Biggles should have a title

Postby bigglesworth » Sat May 08, 2010 6:32 pm UTC

Everything I've heard by the Glitch Mob has been really cool. They have edIT's remix of ARTSY on one of their playlists.
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

Vox Imperatoris

Postby Vox Imperatoris » Fri May 14, 2010 11:58 pm UTC

Does Andreea Bălan count as rap (that song is much more rap-like than her others)? She's not obscure in Romania, though.

The band she was in before, André (so named because it was made up of her and Andreea Antonescu) was much more rap-like, but I don't especially like them. That song and this one are not too bad, though. Mainly because they are the least rap-like songs.
Nec audiendi qui solent dicere, vox populi, vox Dei, quum tumultuositas vulgi semper insaniae proxima sit.
17/♂/Heterosexual/US/Atheist/Objectivist
Tigion wrote:Gods, [Mafia] is like poker, 'cept harder.

Nu Știu Să Fiu Numai Pentru Tine—Andreea Bălan—Amazing song! Verrückte Jungs—Blümchen—My avatar.

theGoldenCalf;

Postby theGoldenCalf; » Thu May 20, 2010 8:17 am UTC

RJD2, Dr. Octagon, Buck 65, Sixtoo, Blockhead, Omid.. Must've forgot a few, will catch up if I remember any more.

Plus, you should try out stuff from the Ninja Tunes label (they produce Blockhead and Sixtoo mentioned above). Not all of it is rap/hip-hop per se, but if you like the underground stuff it will appeal to you. You can also try getting into dubstep (Burial, Kode9, Tokyo Mask, Simm) or dancehall (The Bug!!!11!).

EDIT: Caural, Perfuse 73 - hip hop meets electronica. Challenging listen :)
それは彼女が言ったことだ!

dubsola

Postby dubsola » Tue May 25, 2010 3:30 pm UTC

I did a hiphop mix a few years ago, with mostly underground artists. It has a few artists mentioned in this thread (eg MF Doom, Prefuse73). Linky!

Recently there's been a lot of "wonky" hiphop that I really like - if you were to start with Flying Lotus and found you enjoyed that, checking out the rest of that new LA scene would be well worthwhile.

Shivari

Postby Shivari » Wed May 26, 2010 1:22 am UTC

zacpol wrote:Like, I love rap and hiphop but I feel like it's corrupted and given a bad name by 99% of what's played on the radio.

I might have agreed with you when hyphy, snap, and crunk were the big thing, but I think the current trend of mainstream rap is pretty fantastic. I think that Kanye West has had a pretty profound effect on the genre and it's really starting to show with new rappers like B.o.B. doing some interesting things musically. With the most popular rappers being Jay-Z, Kanye West, and TI, I find it hard to say that the radio is all that bad.

Return to “Music”