0265: "Choices: Part 2"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

The LuigiManiac
Location: Trapped in a hypothetical situation somewhere in Ontario...help?

0265: "Choices: Part 2"

Postby The LuigiManiac » Tue May 22, 2007 4:03 am UTC

Well. I like the direction (and speed) this is going. So they pass each other too fast for the spaceship to get the message?

Title text: Maybe someday I'll get to write the Wikipedia article about this place. Wait, damn, original research.
Spoiler:
THE CAKE IS A 3.141592653589...!

Pathway
Leon Sumbitches...?

Postby Pathway » Tue May 22, 2007 4:07 am UTC

Hmm... she gets the message, though, because the line coming from the spaceship is zaggy. By comic-strip convention, that implies transmission by electromagnetic wave. I hope her bubble can translate it into audible form for her!
SargeZT wrote:Oh dear no, I love penguins. They're my favorite animal ever besides cows.

The reason I would kill penguins would be, no one ever, ever fucking kills penguins.

etho

Postby etho » Tue May 22, 2007 4:09 am UTC

The sphere reminds me of the tree-ship-thing from The Fountain.

Also, this storyline is awesome.

OneLess

Postby OneLess » Tue May 22, 2007 4:09 am UTC

I think I'm too rusty on relativity to get this...I'm a Wikipedia addict, though, so the alt-text is funny :)

warriorness
Huge Fucking-Lazer

Postby warriorness » Tue May 22, 2007 4:31 am UTC

I love this; it's the silence in the end panel that makes it. Much like http://xkcd.com/c44.html

I think the spaceship ignored her; that is, they got her message but didn't respond.
Iluvatar wrote:Love: Gimme the frickin' API.
yy2bggggs, on Fischer Random chess wrote:Hmmm.... I wonder how how a hypermodern approach would work

NightStar
"Hold very still, Mr President....."

Postby NightStar » Tue May 22, 2007 4:33 am UTC

I sympathize with the girl's plight...I leave for Spain tomorrow with one other person, and I've never flown international before. I'm going to be saying "Please help me, I think I'm lost" quite a bit.
Hawknc wrote:Madness?
THIS IS COLLEGE!
*Kicks a beer keg over a balcony*

supermus

Postby supermus » Tue May 22, 2007 4:39 am UTC

Two comics in a row with the phrase "wait, damn" in the title text.

Coincidence?

Peshmerga
Mad Hatter

Postby Peshmerga » Tue May 22, 2007 4:42 am UTC

I don't get this ... at all. :(
i hurd u liek mudkips???

lyworm

Postby lyworm » Tue May 22, 2007 4:45 am UTC

She must have a pretty awesome bubble if it's traveling at the same speed as the kick-ass spaceship.
Meow.

jumbleofletters

Postby jumbleofletters » Tue May 22, 2007 4:48 am UTC

I've been watching this post for 30 minutes constantly pressing refresh
All i need now is an interdimensional rip in the fabric of space and time :lol:

EradicateIV

Postby EradicateIV » Tue May 22, 2007 4:58 am UTC

I need a rip in time and space badly.

Day after day activities are getting boring.

Our truth is only as good as our assumptions.

Jerf

Postby Jerf » Tue May 22, 2007 5:00 am UTC

Funky-blue-space could have a much lower speed of light, which could make that exchange plausible.

Terry Pratchett's Discworld has a speed of light in the low hundreds of miles per hour (although it's due to the ambient magic causing an effect like index of refraction, not full time slowing), and there are actually a couple of books where the characters encounter light-based relativistic effects at ~70 mph. (That is, no time distortion, or at least it isn't mentioned/relevant.)

GhostWolfe
Broken wings and scattered feathers

Postby GhostWolfe » Tue May 22, 2007 5:56 am UTC

She looks so despondent and alone in the last panel :(
Linguistic Anarchist
Hawknc: ANGELL IS SERIOUS BUSINESS :-[
lesliesage: Animals dunked in crude oil: sad. Animals dunked in boiling oil: tasty.
Belial: I was in your mom's room all night committing to a series of extended military actions.

Phob0s

Postby Phob0s » Tue May 22, 2007 6:32 am UTC

I think the point is is that there are these two people who would probably be perfect for eachother - she was just sitting at home waiting for an email (possibly from him, or maybe they've never met), and he's sitting there doing some homework. suddenly she leaves her plane of existence, and enters his theoretical plane, actually becoming the question.
Or something along those lines...

ArchangelShrike
Rodan's Title

Postby ArchangelShrike » Tue May 22, 2007 7:39 am UTC

So alone in space... She could use a hug right now.

evilbeanfiend

Postby evilbeanfiend » Tue May 22, 2007 7:50 am UTC

Phob0s wrote:I think the point is is that there are these two people who would probably be perfect for eachother - she was just sitting at home waiting for an email (possibly from him, or maybe they've never met), and he's sitting there doing some homework. suddenly she leaves her plane of existence, and enters his theoretical plane, actually becoming the question.
Or something along those lines...

are you sure they are right for each other? he seems to be having trouble with relativity.
in ur beanz makin u eveel

Froodulous

Postby Froodulous » Tue May 22, 2007 7:56 am UTC

I think that the spaceship transmitted it's message earlier, but she received it at the point in the 3rd panel.

However, by that time she could not contact it back :(

Wonder how she's going to get back home. She has no inbox to refresh in this new universe.

Edna
Raptors: 4, Humans: 0

Postby Edna » Tue May 22, 2007 8:24 am UTC

Froodulous wrote:Wonder how she's going to get back home. She has no inbox to refresh in this new universe.

This remind anyone of else of "Quantum Leap"?

God damn I loved that show.

Anyway its the alt text that makes this one for me.

OneLess

Postby OneLess » Tue May 22, 2007 8:50 am UTC

Edna wrote:
Froodulous wrote:Wonder how she's going to get back home. She has no inbox to refresh in this new universe.

That show kicked major ass. I've only seen reruns on SciFi at like 1am, though. I loved the radio station one where they ended up making The Twist popular :)

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby Gelsamel » Tue May 22, 2007 10:14 am UTC

Dude... the Bubble is so much more kick-ass then the spaceship! D:<
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
"Do you think games are silly little things?"
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
"Do you admit there is no meaning to this world?"
- > No

smithman89

Postby smithman89 » Tue May 22, 2007 11:17 am UTC

Ok, so, how did the spaceship get there in the first place?

tofergregg

Postby tofergregg » Tue May 22, 2007 12:16 pm UTC

This is perfect timing, as I'm teaching my class relativity this week. Excellent...

p.s. If she's speaking with her voice, she's not getting any message to the spacecraft...

evilbeanfiend

Postby evilbeanfiend » Tue May 22, 2007 12:51 pm UTC

tofergregg wrote:This is perfect timing, as I'm teaching my class relativity this week. Excellent...

p.s. If she's speaking with her voice, she's not getting any message to the spacecraft...

true dat. unless the laws of physics are different in this space/time rift thingy she is in

Arancaytar

Postby Arancaytar » Tue May 22, 2007 12:51 pm UTC

Terry Pratchett's Discworld has a speed of light in the low hundreds of miles per hour (although it's due to the ambient magic causing an effect like index of refraction, not full time slowing), and there are actually a couple of books where the characters encounter light-based relativistic effects at ~70 mph. (That is, no time distortion, or at least it isn't mentioned/relevant.)

That's what I like about Pratchett. There's a circular flat world on the back of four elephants on the back of a giant turtle, and he actually explains the physics of the thing.

TheTankengine
Our Fora-father

Postby TheTankengine » Tue May 22, 2007 12:56 pm UTC

Edna wrote:

I am proud to say I have watched every single episode of Quantum Leap. Easily the best television program in history. Scott Bakula is my God.

The order of some of the episodes on the DVDs can get a little wacky. Damn you universal!!! Also, I was so sad when they replaced Georgia On My Mind at the end of season two with some generic crap. It totally killed the amazing scene.

Wow, that was quite the Quantum Leap.
be centered
be compassionate
be interesting

Fenyx

Re: "Choices: Part 2" Discussion

Postby Fenyx » Tue May 22, 2007 12:57 pm UTC

The LuigiManiac wrote:
Title text: Maybe someday I'll get to write the Wikipedia article about this place. Wait, damn, original research.

Perhaps he could post what he would like to see on Wikipedia and maybe, just maybe, some of his rabid obsessive fans would quote what he wrote on the wikipedia page. ;)

- Fenyx a.k.a. "Rabid Obsessive Fan #31337"

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Tue May 22, 2007 12:58 pm UTC

You know, I'm basically ignoring homework dude. The first one is an escapist wish, to leave the boring repetitive mundane world behind... and the second is a nice trip back to reality - You escaped to a fantasy world where you fly through space in a bubble... now what?

And really, aren't we all asking for help, lost in the universe while those who could help us merely shout irrelevant questions in our general direction?

... oh, I'm the only one? Well, screw you guys.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

bookishbunny

Postby bookishbunny » Tue May 22, 2007 1:01 pm UTC

Is she going to pop out of his homework? I'm holding out for the romantic-destiny story device.
~Some people are like Slinkies - not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you push them down the stairs.

Ren
Rockin' Robin

Postby Ren » Tue May 22, 2007 1:13 pm UTC

I like that idea, bookishbunny! That, or he gets his own cosmic rip, and they're lost together! Awww.

*hopes no one noticed sentimentality*

I'm tough, really!
MotleyJesster (12:34:04 PM): Better than moping around being all "I do not need love, I have indie music and a wind instrument!"

bookishbunny

Postby bookishbunny » Tue May 22, 2007 1:16 pm UTC

Ren wrote:I like that idea, bookishbunny! That, or he gets his own cosmic rip, and they're lost together! Awww.

I'm tough, really!

Me, too! Chilly and heartless. as bunnies go.
~Some people are like Slinkies - not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you push them down the stairs.

Spaz Funbag

Postby Spaz Funbag » Tue May 22, 2007 1:54 pm UTC

tofergregg wrote:This is perfect timing, as I'm teaching my class relativity this week. Excellent...

Not necessarily. If she was able to hear the RF from the ship, they might also hear her talking (supposing the bubble was also some two-way radio A-D/D-A broadcast&amp-thingy.

Still, is it Space they're in? If yes, what does the bubble consist of? So it can hold up against the vacuum of space? Because my first thoughts went towards a soap bubble.

Great, now you have ruined the comic for me (well, quite). Ok, no more science thinking about today's panel and instead anxious waiting for tomorrow's panel, curious about the story and that stuff.

bookishbunny/ren's solution is still the best, as it won't destroy the situation.
But it's not ideal, in my opinion. Still a lot xkcd-ish.

Oh, I know! She said "I wish I could explore the universe" and someone corrupted her wish!
The harder you try, the dumber you look

oblivimous

Postby oblivimous » Tue May 22, 2007 2:37 pm UTC

bubble... or human-sized hamster ball?

evilbeanfiend

Postby evilbeanfiend » Tue May 22, 2007 2:47 pm UTC

oblivimous wrote:bubble... or human-sized hamster ball?

maybe wayne coyne will turn up to take relativity homework dude to her

grim4593

Postby grim4593 » Tue May 22, 2007 3:05 pm UTC

Spaz Funbag wrote:Still, is it Space they're in? If yes, what does the bubble consist of? So it can hold up against the vacuum of space? Because my first thoughts went towards a soap bubble.

Well don't forget she is a 2D stick figure. Would she even need to breath?

I mean, she can't have a digestive tract in the normal sense: That would require a path from her mouth to her anus, which least of all would make her TWO objects and not one.

Kizor

Postby Kizor » Tue May 22, 2007 3:11 pm UTC

Not if her orifices are able to close! Stick figures don't normally have a mouth when they're not speaking. It must work like an airlock.
Last edited by Kizor on Tue May 22, 2007 3:14 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Tue May 22, 2007 3:13 pm UTC

It'd still mean that she'd split in two while eating, unless she had an amorphous quality. Maybe stick figures are like bacterium with pseudopods?
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Kizor

Postby Kizor » Tue May 22, 2007 3:16 pm UTC

Not unless she held her anus closed while she ate, but that would make speaking on the toilet a bit difficult. Instead, let's make this an autonomous matter. Assign several parts of her digestive tract the ability to open and close so that all of them can't be open at the same time, and voilá! It could even be the mechanism her intestines use to move their contests.

anotherangel

Postby anotherangel » Tue May 22, 2007 4:19 pm UTC

Maybe he is controlling her reality. What he writes, in his homework, is what's going to happen to her. So she could actually be in his homework.

Mighty Jalapeno
Inne Juste 7 Dayes I Wille Make You A Hero!

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Tue May 22, 2007 4:28 pm UTC

Ren wrote:I like that idea, bookishbunny! That, or he gets his own cosmic rip, and they're lost together! Awww.

I'm tough, really!

What? That's what I was rooting for.

Phil

Postby Phil » Tue May 22, 2007 4:52 pm UTC

grim4593 wrote:
Spaz Funbag wrote:Still, is it Space they're in? If yes, what does the bubble consist of? So it can hold up against the vacuum of space? Because my first thoughts went towards a soap bubble.

Well don't forget she is a 2D stick figure.

In this case, it's not a bubble, it's circle. A soap circle?

[edit]Rendall, I'd like to get a high-res version of the lightning-in-space background you used in both comics, so I could use it as a wallpaper. It's awesome!

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”