Canberra, Australia meetup - March 7

For discussion of group meetings in the meat-o-sphere.

Moderators: LE4dGOLEM, Prelates, Moderators General

Canberra, Australia meetup - March 7

Postby ConMan » Thu Dec 18, 2008 6:18 am UTC

I know there are other xkcd readers in this little Territory of ours (yes, guy who was wearing "Stand back: I'm going to try SCIENCE!" t-shirt in Canberra Centre a couple of weeks ago, I'm talking about you), but I don't know if any of the ones I can find on the forum are still around. Amazingly enough, I just found 5 people with a location of Canberra, Australia who have checked the forums in December, and a few more who were around in the past few months. But for the rest of you - Where the Bloody Hell Are Ya? And Would Ya Be Interested In a Meetup?

Edit: We are meeting at the pervy sheep statue near the merry-go-round in Garema Place on Saturday, March 7 at 11am. PM me if you want to swap mobile numbers.
Last edited by ConMan on Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:07 pm UTC, edited 3 times in total.
pollywog wrote:
Wikihow wrote:* Smile a lot! Give a gay girl a knowing "Hey, I'm a lesbian too!" smile.
I want to learn this smile, perfect it, and then go around smiling at lesbians and freaking them out.
ConMan
Shepherd's Pie?

Re: Canberra, Australia meetup anyone?

Postby hermaj » Thu Dec 18, 2008 8:07 am UTC

I could probably get to Canberra if something were organised, I have accomodation there and everything.
hermaj

Postby Slashor » Tue Dec 30, 2008 3:45 am UTC

I would suggest Civic generally for a good place to meet up.
Slashor

Postby ConMan » Sun Jan 04, 2009 1:22 pm UTC

Well I wasn't going to suggest Tuggers (especially since I live in Belco with no driver's license :wink: )
pollywog wrote:
Wikihow wrote:* Smile a lot! Give a gay girl a knowing "Hey, I'm a lesbian too!" smile.
I want to learn this smile, perfect it, and then go around smiling at lesbians and freaking them out.
ConMan
Shepherd's Pie?

Postby Slashor » Sun Jan 04, 2009 9:04 pm UTC

I would considering I am 4kms from the town centre but such is life. :)
Slashor

Postby chishm » Mon Jan 05, 2009 8:18 am UTC

I might be up for this. Perhaps we should bring along R/L friends so we have even more people, and just in case someone turns out crazy. Never know, it could be me. (Note to self: Don't say that out loud. Or type it. Okay, just delete it. Hey, don't push that submit button!)
chishm

Postby kieran » Mon Jan 05, 2009 11:10 am UTC

There's a bunch of geohashers in Canberra, I'm sure they'd love to go. You can contact many of them on the geohashing wiki.
kieran

Postby |Erasmus| » Mon Jan 05, 2009 12:00 pm UTC

It would be interesting to partake in a trip down there as I've never spent any time in Canberra. I drove through it in June after my friend missed the turnoff to detour around it while going down to the snow, but that's it. Unfortunately, unlike our friendly moderator girl, I do not know anyone down there, which makes it a lot harder.
|Erasmus|
Branson

Postby ZLVT » Tue Jan 06, 2009 10:53 am UTC

Ja, I live in Lyneham with no car but I can make it to civic and thereabouts no real problem. In syd atm but I'll be in canb for uni for sure.
22/♂/hetero/atheist/★☭/Image

Originator of the DIY ASL tags
ZLVT

Postby ConMan » Wed Jan 07, 2009 4:12 am UTC

kieran wrote:There's a bunch of geohashers in Canberra, I'm sure they'd love to go. You can contact many of them on the geohashing wiki.

Ah, good point. I'm actually on the list of geohashers, but have not yet made a hash (not even the Monday hash that fell in parliamentary triangle :().

It's sounding like we could probably get a reasonable group together, particularly if we wait until around the start of the uni term. As a preliminary date, what do people think about the Canberra Day weekend (which I think is 7-9 March this year)?
pollywog wrote:
ConMan
Shepherd's Pie?

Postby steewi » Wed Jan 07, 2009 4:17 am UTC

*waves*

I live in pollyville too.

Colour me interested. I'm up for meeting new people.

Edit: I think I know Stand-Back-shirt-guy.
steewi

Postby mrbaggins » Wed Jan 07, 2009 7:21 am UTC

I'm in Wagga, but I'm up for a road trip. Any weekend towards and then after the end of this month is good, until easter weekend, as I have hockey stuff on.

I've only ever seen one xkcd shirt dude, and that was in wagga. I was too stunned to say hi (No raptors shirt, btw).

Which geohash site are we speaking about? I might start investigating that for meetups. I like meeting new people!
Why is it that 4chan is either infinitely awesome, infinitely bad, or "lolwut", but never any intermediary level?
mrbaggins

Postby JayDee » Wed Jan 07, 2009 10:11 am UTC

The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:I believe that everything can and must be joked about.
Hawknc wrote:I like to think that he hasn't left, he's just finally completed his foe list.
JayDee

Postby chishm » Thu Jan 08, 2009 7:25 am UTC

steewi wrote:I think I know Stand-Back-shirt-guy.

Quite a few of my uni friends read xKcD (it's how I was introduced), and at least 2 of them have xKCd shirts. Meeting up after uni starts means I may be able to get them to come along too.
chishm

Postby steewi » Mon Jan 12, 2009 3:58 am UTC

chishm wrote:
steewi wrote:I think I know Stand-Back-shirt-guy.

Quite a few of my uni friends read xKcD (it's how I was introduced), and at least 2 of them have xKCd shirts. Meeting up after uni starts means I may be able to get them to come along too.

Most of the xkcd readers I know are post-uni, so it's not as much of an issue. As for me, I'm on campus year-round. Post-grad does that to you.

EDIT: I propose a meet-up location at Canberra's most absurdly ridiculous location - the sheep near the merry-go-round. It screams XKCD to me.
steewi

Postby ZLVT » Mon Jan 19, 2009 4:40 pm UTC

would this be the merry go round in that little shoppy place?

sooo anyone wanna set a tentative date? or week? or month? I'd propose a weekend in late feb or early march. 21/2 22/2 28/2 1/3 7/3 8/3 9/3 14/3 15/3 21/3 22/3 28/3 29/3 something in this region? I'm happy with the canberra day weekend proposal. (bold above)

ZLVT

Postby ConMan » Tue Jan 20, 2009 4:31 am UTC

steewi wrote:EDIT: I propose a meet-up location at Canberra's most absurdly ridiculous location - the sheep near the merry-go-round. It screams XKCD to me.

Oh, yes. Either that, or the Glowing Cube (which I believe is the standard Canberra Geohashing pick-up point).

ZLVT wrote:would this be the merry go round in that little shoppy place?

sooo anyone wanna set a tentative date? or week? or month? I'd propose a weekend in late feb or early march. 21/2 22/2 28/2 1/3 7/3 8/3 9/3 14/3 15/3 21/3 22/3 28/3 29/3 something in this region? I'm happy with the canberra day weekend proposal. (bold above)

He's talking about the big, old-fashioned merry-go-round in Garema, which I suppose could be referred to as "that little shoppy place".

I probably won't be around from 21/3 - 5/4 (or some subset thereof).
pollywog wrote:
ConMan
Shepherd's Pie?

Postby chishm » Fri Jan 23, 2009 4:54 am UTC

Epoch+1234567890 occurs at 2009-02-14 10:31:30 local time, and would be a suitably XKCD date. Unfortunately it coincides with some other eventful day or some such, so if that date's not suitable then I suggest early march too.
chishm

Postby steewi » Mon Feb 02, 2009 7:05 am UTC

chishm wrote:Epoch+1234567890 occurs at 2009-02-14 10:31:30 local time, and would be a suitably XKCD date. Unfortunately it coincides with some other eventful day or some such, so if that date's not suitable then I suggest early march too.

I'm not doing anything, but I'm a sad freak of nature, so it's not surprising. That evening is the Multicultural Festival Latin Fiesta. I'm doing singles fun there.

I'm in for late feb-early march.
steewi

Postby Awesomedude » Wed Feb 11, 2009 12:32 pm UTC

Id be in to go too. (just seeing if there is still interest in this)
Awesomedude

Postby ZLVT » Wed Feb 11, 2009 3:30 pm UTC

ja I'm up for it, may even bring xkcd friends along. But does anyone have any objections to Canberra long weekend (7-9th) 'cos then we can mark it in our claendars now before we make plans and call it official. Otheriwse the weekend before (28/2-1/3) is still good.

ZLVT

Postby steewi » Wed Feb 11, 2009 11:32 pm UTC

ZLVT wrote:ja I'm up for it, may even bring xkcd friends along. But does anyone have any objections to Canberra long weekend (7-9th) 'cos then we can mark it in our claendars now before we make plans and call it official. Otheriwse the weekend before (28/2-1/3) is still good.

I have an engagement on the long weekend, sunday, but the rest of it is free. The weekend before is clear, too.
steewi

Postby ConMan » Mon Feb 23, 2009 6:16 am UTC

All right then. It's getting closer to the likely date, so let's see if we can get something organised.

What do people think of this plan:

Date: Saturday, March 7
Meeting Time: 11 am
Meeting Place: Somewhere nice and obvious in the city? One of the fountains around Canberra Centre, perhaps?
General plan: Grab some picnic food, head down to one of the parks on Lake Burley Griffin to picnic, then invade one of the many interesting public buildings nearby (e.g. Questacon, OPH, PH, etc.)
pollywog wrote:
ConMan
Shepherd's Pie?

Postby Slashor » Mon Feb 23, 2009 7:08 am UTC

Sadly this is one of the four weekends a year I have to work.
Slashor

Postby mrbaggins » Mon Feb 23, 2009 8:00 am UTC

Nothing planned on that day yet, could change.
Why is it that 4chan is either infinitely awesome, infinitely bad, or "lolwut", but never any intermediary level?
mrbaggins

Postby ZLVT » Tue Feb 24, 2009 8:52 am UTC

Sounds ok, as long as it involves no driving, something which I am unable to do alas. You mortals and your "laws". What is usually done on such events? Picnic sounds good tho...wait...what do ppl eat at picnics?

ZLVT

Re: Canberra, The West Island meetup anyone?

Postby steewi » Fri Feb 27, 2009 5:17 am UTC

I'm there. I stick with my previous suggested meeting spot. I designate Conman as the bringer of something XKCD related (i.e. a printout/t-shirt/stick-figure/black-hat girl) for easy identification.
steewi

Re: Canberra, The West Island meetup anyone?

Postby ConMan » Mon Mar 02, 2009 5:13 am UTC

steewi wrote:I'm there. I stick with my previous suggested meeting spot. I designate Conman as the bringer of something XKCD related (i.e. a printout/t-shirt/stick-figure/black-hat girl) for easy identification.

Yep, pervy sheep for the win.

The first Sydney meetup I went to, I did have a bunch of signs mostly taken from #470, but I distributed those to the other people so I wouldn't have to take any back on the coach. I'll see what I can rustle up this time. Will also edit the thread title for people's reference.

Edit: Also, PM me if you want to swap mobile phone numbers in case you're late or lost or something.
pollywog wrote:
ConMan
Shepherd's Pie?

Re: Canberra, Australia meetup - March 7

Postby ZLVT » Mon Mar 02, 2009 9:45 am UTC

Any chance we can change the meeting time? 11am on a saturday? I'm pretty sure the ANU and universe both frown upon this.

ZLVT

Postby Piper » Mon Mar 02, 2009 9:49 am UTC

How about some time in the afternoon, gives people a chance to sleep in, or in my case work. I can't be at civic before 5:30, so if its later there is a chance people are still hanging around.
Piper

Postby steewi » Tue Mar 03, 2009 3:13 am UTC

Erk. I'm going to see Secret Lunch play at Mawson in the evening, so it doesn't work. Surely 11am is late enough for a 9.30am "sleep-in". I keep forgetting I'm old... I'm for sticking with the current arrangements.
steewi

Postby ZLVT » Tue Mar 03, 2009 6:35 am UTC

you realise I get out of bed at 12 on an early day right...?
Some of us are students, sigh.

Also...BHS bbq, 1pm thursday union court, atheist society film (L.O.B.) 5pm ANU Chaplaincy. They make me advertise.

how close are the sheep to the merry go round btw? I think I know them but I'm not sure.

ZLVT

Postby steewi » Wed Mar 04, 2009 12:47 am UTC

ZLVT wrote:you realise I get out of bed at 12 on an early day right...?
Some of us are students, sigh.

Also...BHS bbq, 1pm thursday union court, atheist society film (L.O.B.) 5pm ANU Chaplaincy. They make me advertise.

how close are the sheep to the merry go round btw? I think I know them but I'm not sure.

About 20 metres...

(BHS?)
steewi

Postby ZLVT » Wed Mar 04, 2009 3:54 pm UTC

black hole society. thw astrophys group

ZLVT

Postby steewi » Fri Mar 06, 2009 2:18 am UTC

So...

Happening yes/no/when/where?

(If we don't decide soon, we'll have to start experimenting...)
steewi

Postby ZLVT » Fri Mar 06, 2009 6:09 am UTC

Well I'll go and if ppl show up, cool if not, whatever.

ZLVT

Postby ConMan » Fri Mar 06, 2009 10:00 pm UTC

I'll be there, and I think a geohasher or two might make it, too. Will wait at the sheep for at least half an hour, maybe more.
pollywog wrote:
ConMan
Shepherd's Pie?

Postby ZLVT » Sat Mar 07, 2009 4:59 am UTC

Well, that was fun, albeit hot. Any thoughts? Next one maybe?

ZLVT

Postby Lardman » Sat Mar 07, 2009 6:24 am UTC

That was fun! :)

Another would definitely be a good idea.
Lardman

Postby americanbeetles » Sat Mar 07, 2009 7:22 am UTC

Hey, fellas-- nice to meet y'all! Also: one of you left some kind of bike kit/ manpouch/ etc in the car, any idea to whom it might belong?

-Ainsley
americanbeetles

Next

Return to XKCD Meetups