Doctor Whom

Rot your brains, then rot our boards

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

charliepanayi

Re: Doctor Who

Postby charliepanayi » Sat Jan 03, 2009 6:01 pm UTC

So, it's this guy: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matt_Smith_(British_actor)

Good lord, he's pretty much the same age as me. This makes me feel pretty old :D
"Excuse me Miss, do you like pineapple?"

"I don't want to achieve immortality through my work, I want to achieve it through not dying"

Mother Superior
Better than tea

Postby Mother Superior » Sat Jan 03, 2009 6:08 pm UTC

Who is that?
My crappy creepy? Crabby? My crabby blog.
"She bore also the fruitless deep with his raging swell, Pontus, without sweet union of love."
- Hesiod, Theogony

aleflamedyud
wants your cookies

Postby aleflamedyud » Sat Jan 03, 2009 6:29 pm UTC

That guy looks like David Tennant 2: The Second David Tennant.
"With kindness comes naïveté. Courage becomes foolhardiness. And dedication has no reward. If you can't accept any of that, you are not fit to be a graduate student."

Various Varieties

Postby Various Varieties » Sat Jan 03, 2009 7:06 pm UTC

You know that link I posted earlier?

Lawrence Miles wrote:Chiwetel Ejiofor (8-1). Middle England might just about accept a black Doctor, but they certainly won't accept one they can't pronounce. Hartnell! Troughton! Pertwee! Baker! Davison! Baker! McCoy! McGann! Eccleston! Tennant! Eji… Ejoili… Ej… oh, **** it, let's just hire Matt Smith instead.

:lol:

The clips they showed were promising (I hadn't seen any of those programmes), but he came across as very nervous and a bit inarticulate in the interview - but that's to be expected, compared to "old hand" David Tennant. I wonder if he'll use his wiggly-fingers gesture in the role? :P

The idea of a large section of fandom panicking because the Doctor will suddenly be younger than they are reminds me of Frank Miller's introduction to one of the editions of The Dark Knight Returns, where he says that he wrote it when he had the sudden realisation that he was older than Bruce Wayne...

Sir_Elderberry

Postby Sir_Elderberry » Sat Jan 03, 2009 7:36 pm UTC

Hah, now every time he introduces himself as "John Smith", he'll be half right, in a meta sort of way.
http://www.geekyhumanist.blogspot.com -- Science and the Concerned Voter
Belial wrote:You are the coolest guy that ever cooled.

I reiterate. Coolest. Guy.

Well. You heard him.

Alder

Postby Alder » Sat Jan 03, 2009 8:18 pm UTC

An article that might be interesting:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7807996.stm
Plasma Man wrote:I might have to get rid of some of my breadbins.

Kulantan wrote:I feel a great disturbance in the Fora, as if millions of voices suddenly cried out in terror and then kinda trailed off to a grumble.

charliepanayi

Postby charliepanayi » Sat Jan 03, 2009 11:16 pm UTC

It's 'new Doctor Who reactions' bingo!
"Excuse me Miss, do you like pineapple?"

"I don't want to achieve immortality through my work, I want to achieve it through not dying"

Metacelsus

Postby Metacelsus » Sun Jan 04, 2009 12:41 am UTC

I'm sure there are plenty of whinging fanboys on the internet tonight and I hate to join them but... well damnit I thought we were going to swing back to an older one. Now I'm a sad panda. He seems reasonably mature in interview though, a running theme in the older show was the childish old man maybe they're going to go with an overly serious young man?

Damn but Lawrence Miles is snarky though. I might need to go find a copy of the Infinity Doctors again now.

ameretrifle
Vera

Postby ameretrifle » Sun Jan 04, 2009 8:34 am UTC

It's sad they aren't showing any imagination with regards to gender or race (or age), but if he plays the Doctor like something other than an extremely effective ad for Ritalin, I will have nothing against him.

Their lack of imagination doesn't surprise me, though. I just watched Silence in the Library (late, I know, but I only recently regained the emotional distance to watch this show without wanting to beat David Tennant senseless with a brick and there are still moments), and for the most part, it looked wonderfully imaginative. Until-- "There's a reason every species is afraid of the dark" (paraphrase)? Seriously? No nocturnal species in the entire universe? Or are they all weird-looking enough they don't count? Whatever...

Joeldi

Postby Joeldi » Sun Jan 04, 2009 9:06 am UTC

I did the bingo thing V
Spoiler:
Bingo.jpg
Bingo.jpg (41.44 KiB) Viewed 6518 times

Nah, I don't really have any qualms with this guy, other than they could have been more creative. I haven't seem him act, but he looks very very 'safe', and his name isn't helping him any.
I already have a hate thread. Necromancy > redundancy here, so post there.

roc314 wrote:America is a police state that communicates in txt speak...

"i hav teh dissentors brb""¡This cheese is burning me! u pwnd them bff""thx ur cool 2"

Not Bernard

Postby Not Bernard » Sun Jan 04, 2009 9:38 am UTC

Spoiler:

Apologies to him, I'll try to keep an open mind, but he looks more suited to playing Frankenstein's monster than anything else.

Spoiler:

My PS skills are terrible, too!

mat-tina

Postby mat-tina » Sun Jan 04, 2009 2:17 pm UTC

Hi, people. I haven't read though this thread, in fear of spoilers, so this question might have come up. Anyways, I want to start watching Dr. Who, and have no idea where to start. I read that a lot of episodes from the old series are missing. Are they still worth watching? Would it be possible to start off with a younger Doctor, or would that be too confusing?
Felltir wrote:has no sig, and therefore something to hide
GENERATION n: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum. If n is an even number, divide it by 2. If it's odd, multiply it by 3 and add 1. Prove that this sequence converges to 1 for all n.

Sir_Elderberry

Postby Sir_Elderberry » Sun Jan 04, 2009 3:17 pm UTC

mat-tina wrote:Hi, people. I haven't read though this thread, in fear of spoilers, so this question might have come up. Anyways, I want to start watching Dr. Who, and have no idea where to start. I read that a lot of episodes from the old series are missing. Are they still worth watching? Would it be possible to start off with a younger Doctor, or would that be too confusing?

Doctor Who ran from the 60's to the 80's and made 26 seasons of television before being cancelled.

It was then revived a few years ago and has done four seasons.

This thread is mainly about New Who, because more of us have watched it (although I intend to do some Old Who when I get the chance). You'll be fine if you start there, it all makes sense.

Starting with Old Who is going to require a loooooot of time before you catch up to broadcast. Like....a year or two...depending on how fast you watch.

Well. You heard him.

Nath

Postby Nath » Sun Jan 04, 2009 3:57 pm UTC

Yeah, I started with season 1 of the new Doctor Who. They've reset the season numbers for a reason; the show is designed to be accessible to new viewers.

Incidentally, seasons 2 and 3 recently joined season 1 on Netflix Instant.

mat-tina

Postby mat-tina » Sun Jan 04, 2009 5:15 pm UTC

Okay, thank you :D
Felltir wrote:has no sig, and therefore something to hide
GENERATION n: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum. If n is an even number, divide it by 2. If it's odd, multiply it by 3 and add 1. Prove that this sequence converges to 1 for all n.

Nebuduck

Postby Nebuduck » Sun Jan 04, 2009 11:25 pm UTC

But it's definitely worth watching some of the old ones - particularly some of the Tom Baker ones, since he's the incarnation which has always been associated most strongly with the whole idea of 'The Doctor', I think - but don't worry too much about watching the old ones in any real order. The old ones are also completely different and pretty unrelated to the new ones.

Sir_Elderberry

Postby Sir_Elderberry » Mon Jan 05, 2009 12:16 am UTC

You know, someone should go through and compile a list of must-watch serials--the very best of Old Who, something that is a lot more manageable. Like, I've seen the first 5/7ths of the one where the Daleks are introduced, and that's probably notable. Likewise would be the ones with regenerations in them, or important continuity bits.

For example, if I were to do this for New Who, you would watch "Dalek" and "The Long Game" from season 1, but not, say, "The Unquiet Dead". Continuity-focused, see, so you miss a lot of Who but still get a good feel for the universe. Of course, this would cut out some excellent episodes--Blink, for example, might not make it, nor would Midnight--but still.

(This is the point where someone pops in and says "Yes, Elderberry, such a thing does exist, here's the list...")

Well. You heard him.

bigglesworth
I feel like Biggles should have a title

Postby bigglesworth » Mon Jan 05, 2009 12:31 am UTC

mat-tina wrote:Would it be possible to start off with a younger Doctor

It would most likely be an older Doctor, but aside from that...
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

Joeldi

Postby Joeldi » Mon Jan 05, 2009 12:49 am UTC

Sir_Elderberry wrote:I've seen the first 5/7ths of the one where the Daleks are introduced, and that's probably notable.

Y'know, someone was uploading every episode from the very beginning to youtube. I'd watched through the first serial, and was looking forward heaps to the second one (The Daleks) when youtube staff realised and the uploader got banned, and all his vids removed. Saddest day of my life...
I already have a hate thread. Necromancy > redundancy here, so post there.

roc314 wrote:America is a police state that communicates in txt speak...

"i hav teh dissentors brb""¡This cheese is burning me! u pwnd them bff""thx ur cool 2"

Metacelsus

Postby Metacelsus » Mon Jan 05, 2009 6:49 am UTC

If we're recommending old Who I've always liked Terror of the Autons. John Pertwee (third Doctor) is awesome on his own (See this voice over he did for the main theme) but it's also the first ep with the Master. They also didn't really get a lot of the mythology figured out until 2nd/3rd Doctor (I don't think they even used the word 'timelord' until late 2nd Doctor) in as much as they ever did get it figured out.

My favourites have always been 1st and 7th Doctor but I hesitate to recommend them because the show was still finding it's feet with the 1st Doctor so a lot of stuff will more or less contradict the later show and the later 7th Doctor episodes tended to go to pretty abstract places with lots of 80s hair.

ameretrifle
Vera

Postby ameretrifle » Mon Jan 05, 2009 7:25 am UTC

Well, personally, I'd kind of suggest watching at least a couple of the Tennant episodes before starting at the beginning. The first year really does have a different feel-- it's more cohesive, there's more of an overarching meaning to it, there's more character development and emotion. If you get used to that, the next seasons might be a disappointment. But if you go in expecting it to be what it is now-- a good little episodic sci-fi show-- you stand a much better chance of not getting disappointed. But, that's just me. If you glance back a bit through the thread, it'll become pretty obvious why you should take my opinion on this matter with a grain of salt. :D

Incidentally, this site has scripts of all those missing episodes you've heard about. The masters were destroyed, but people still had audio recordings. It you don't mind reading scripts, it's worth a look-- but again, there's way too much old Who to properly catch up on, and it's not really necessary anyway.

I haven't watched that much old Who myself-- limited resources-- but I saw the first couple episodes of Tom Baker, "The Ark in Space" and "Genesis of the Daleks" (and possibly the one after that; I don't quite recall), and I believe they were quite good. If you don't mind the occasional giant styrofoam clam. :D Also, I saw a bit of that "Key to Time" arc as well, though just the first episode; it might be worth starting there, though I'd leave a proper reccommendation to someone who actually knows.

phlip
Restorer of Worlds

Postby phlip » Mon Jan 05, 2009 11:32 am UTC

ameretrifle wrote:If you don't mind the occasional giant styrofoam clam. :D

Or guy wrestling his own arm, wrapped in green bubblewrap... the Tom Baker era was so much fun :D

Code: Select all

enum ಠ_ಠ {°□°╰=1, °Д°╰, ಠ益ಠ╰};
void ┻━┻︵​╰(ಠ_ಠ ⚠) {exit((int)⚠);}
[he/him/his]

Yuri2356

Postby Yuri2356 » Mon Jan 05, 2009 1:57 pm UTC

Metacelsus wrote:They also didn't really get a lot of the mythology figured out until 2nd/3rd Doctor (I don't think they even used the word 'timelord' until late 2nd Doctor) in as much as they ever did get it figured out.

I know we didn't meat any other timelords until the last 2nd Doctor serial, "The War Games" where the doctor is put on trial for some of his hijinks, executed (regenerating into the 3rd Doctor), and then exiled to earth for a few seasons.

Sir_Elderberry

Postby Sir_Elderberry » Mon Jan 05, 2009 2:28 pm UTC

ameretrifle wrote:
The masters were destroyed, but people still had audio recordings.

Why didn't they regenerate?

Well. You heard him.

MiB24601

Postby MiB24601 » Mon Jan 05, 2009 5:09 pm UTC

Metacelsus wrote:They also didn't really get a lot of the mythology figured out until 2nd/3rd Doctor (I don't think they even used the word 'timelord' until late 2nd Doctor) in as much as they ever did get it figured out.

Yuri2356 wrote:I know we didn't meat any other timelords until the last 2nd Doctor serial, "The War Games" where the doctor is put on trial for some of his hijinks, executed (regenerating into the 3rd Doctor), and then exiled to earth for a few seasons.

Although the Doctor's wasn't identified as a TImelord until the end of the second Doctor's run, the first Doctor did encounter the Meddling Monk, who was supposed to be also a member of the Doctor's race.
"There's no point being grown-up if you can't be childish sometimes." - The Fourth Doctor, Doctor Who

ameretrifle
Vera

Postby ameretrifle » Tue Jan 06, 2009 6:47 am UTC

Sir_Elderberry wrote:
ameretrifle wrote:
The masters were destroyed, but people still had audio recordings.

Why didn't they regenerate?
I'm sure they did. They're just still hiding in the vast wilderness that is space and time until their diabolical schemes come to fruition.

Metacelsus

Postby Metacelsus » Tue Jan 06, 2009 12:45 pm UTC

Sir_Elderberry wrote:Why didn't they regenerate?

They did but as usual it rendered them completely unrecognisable. Didn't you ever wonder why the time machine Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure was a phone booth?

steewi

Postby steewi » Thu Jan 08, 2009 2:48 am UTC

Metacelsus wrote:
Sir_Elderberry wrote:Why didn't they regenerate?

They did but as usual it rendered them completely unrecognisable. Didn't you ever wonder why the time machine Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure was a phone booth?

Bwahahaha!

They found some of the missing footage of the second Doctor a few years ago in one the ABC warehouses here in Australia. Oops.

bigglesworth
I feel like Biggles should have a title

Postby bigglesworth » Thu Jan 08, 2009 3:05 am UTC

Oops? As in they weren't supposed to have it?
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

steewi

Postby steewi » Fri Jan 09, 2009 3:06 am UTC

bigglesworth wrote:Oops? As in they weren't supposed to have it?

Yeah, they were supposed to destroy it after the screening, because they only had the rights to one showing. But for some reason at one of the relays (as I heard it) they were filed away and forgotten about. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doctor_Who_missing_episodes#Recovery

Maseiken
The Candylawyer

Postby Maseiken » Fri Jan 09, 2009 12:32 pm UTC

steewi wrote:
bigglesworth wrote:Oops? As in they weren't supposed to have it?

Yeah, they were supposed to destroy it after the screening, because they only had the rights to one showing. But for some reason at one of the relays (as I heard it) they were filed away and forgotten about. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doctor_Who_missing_episodes#Recovery

The picture of Dr Quill down near the bottom of that page...

I can't even find a word for it...
"GRRRRRRRRRROOOOOOOOWR!!!!"
(Translation: "Objection!")

Maseiken had the ball at the top of the key...

sugarhyped

Postby sugarhyped » Mon Apr 06, 2009 2:43 am UTC

New episode next week. yay... Apparently they filmed in Dubai so we get an out of london/cardiff episode.
I wanted a signature. I don't know what to put here yet.

steewi

Postby steewi » Mon Apr 06, 2009 3:34 am UTC

sugarhyped wrote:New episode next week. yay... Apparently they filmed in Dubai so we get an out of london/cardiff episode.

IMDb says
Spoiler:
it starts in London but quickly ends up on a desert planet. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1337072/

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Mon Apr 06, 2009 7:30 am UTC

steewi wrote:
sugarhyped wrote:New episode next week. yay... Apparently they filmed in Dubai so we get an out of london/cardiff episode.

IMDb says
Spoiler:
it starts in London but quickly ends up on a desert planet. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1337072/

Will there be sandworms and blue eyed locals? :D
What would Baron Harkonnen do?

Sir_Elderberry

Postby Sir_Elderberry » Mon Apr 06, 2009 4:29 pm UTC

I want a Bene Gesserit companion.

Well. You heard him.

aleflamedyud
wants your cookies

Postby aleflamedyud » Tue Apr 07, 2009 3:41 am UTC

SlyReaper wrote:
steewi wrote:

IMDb says
Spoiler:

Will there be sandworms and blue eyed locals? :D

Inshallah and BI-LA KAIFA!

May Shai-Hulud have mercy upon The Doctor.
"With kindness comes naïveté. Courage becomes foolhardiness. And dedication has no reward. If you can't accept any of that, you are not fit to be a graduate student."

Sp00n

Postby Sp00n » Thu Apr 09, 2009 10:25 am UTC

I had no idea it was this soon!

...knowing ABC, I'll probably not get until next year...

:(
"Did she kiss as good as me?"

"As well as you.
"

sugarhyped

Postby sugarhyped » Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:52 pm UTC

Sp00n wrote:

watch it online. sometimes the aired in US ones have stuff missing anyways. (I havent watched one on TV in a while but I imagine because of commercial breaks we'd miss some stuff)

Sp00n

Postby Sp00n » Thu Apr 09, 2009 10:12 pm UTC

sugarhyped wrote:
Sp00n wrote:

watch it online. sometimes the aired in US ones have stuff missing anyways. (I havent watched one on TV in a while but I imagine because of commercial breaks we'd miss some stuff)

Nah.
My family always wait for it to properly air so we can watch it as a family together front of the TV.
"Did she kiss as good as me?"

"As well as you.
"

sugarhyped

Postby sugarhyped » Thu Apr 09, 2009 11:41 pm UTC

^pff. none of my family would watch with me. now i'm lonely.

Return to “Movies and TV Shows”