Song Identification!

It's only cool if no one's heard of it.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Zencapop

Re: Song Identification!

Postby Zencapop » Wed Dec 31, 2008 2:03 am UTC

Hello,

Can anyone please identify the song playing in the background?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=df15dAxBBXU

Much appreciated!

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Tue Jan 06, 2009 8:26 pm UTC

I sure as hell can't, as to hear the song I have to crank the volume up so high that my ears bleed the moment someone speaks. It took me a while to even figure out that there was music in it.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

The Resident Expert

Postby The Resident Expert » Thu Jan 08, 2009 8:08 pm UTC

So I remember a fragment of a song, male voice, from 1987 or earlier. The chorus, if I recall correctly, features the words:
"I've seen [I saw?] lasers split the night.
Saw a rocket ship fall down from flight
and I watched an old man [something something, maybe a horse was involved?]
when I went to Istanbul."
It might not have been Istanbul, but I remember lasers split the night, saw a rocket ship fall down from flight.
Sapere Aude.
But it will void warranties.

Alpha Omicron

Postby Alpha Omicron » Sun Jan 11, 2009 7:55 pm UTC

I have an acoustic version of Black Dog (and it's definitely Robert Plant singing), anyone know the origin? Doesn't sound live.
Here is a link to a page which leverages aggregation of my tweetbook social blogomedia.

d33p
Happy Fun Ball

Postby d33p » Sun Jan 11, 2009 8:44 pm UTC

Alpha Omicron wrote:I have an acoustic version of Black Dog (and it's definitely Robert Plant singing), anyone know the origin? Doesn't sound live.

My google-fu tells me that while most collectors agree that it's Robert Plant singing, there's some debate as to whether it's Jimmy Page's guitar or not. I've read that the vox are stripped off of the B-side of a bootleg vinyl known as "The Slog" and re-added to the guitar track at a later date.
Parka wrote:I assume this is yours. I don't know anyone else who would put "kill a bear" on a list.

Alpha Omicron

Postby Alpha Omicron » Sun Jan 11, 2009 9:50 pm UTC

d33p wrote:
Alpha Omicron wrote:I have an acoustic version of Black Dog (and it's definitely Robert Plant singing), anyone know the origin? Doesn't sound live.

My google-fu tells me that while most collectors agree that it's Robert Plant singing, there's some debate as to whether it's Jimmy Page's guitar or not. I've read that the vox are stripped off of the B-side of a bootleg vinyl known as "The Slog" and re-added to the guitar track at a later date.

Wow, thanks.
Here is a link to a page which leverages aggregation of my tweetbook social blogomedia.

Zencapop

Postby Zencapop » Fri Jan 16, 2009 12:48 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:I sure as hell can't, as to hear the song I have to crank the volume up so high that my ears bleed the moment someone speaks. It took me a while to even figure out that there was music in it.

Thank you anyway for trying.

I figured out what the song is. It's called "8 Ball" by Underworld.

aaron

Postby aaron » Mon Feb 02, 2009 7:10 am UTC

oh my god, i have had this song stuck in my head and i can't figure it out.

the chorus goes (i think)

i don't want you
but i need you to
garbled garbled

and then it goes "and you'll be [something] ooo-wooo-oooh" in a falsetto. and the rest of the chorus is in falsetto. that's as much as i can remember.

it's a really upbeat pop song. i am not going to sleep tonight until i figure this out. halp.

Aikanaro

Postby Aikanaro » Fri Feb 13, 2009 5:20 am UTC

Some semi-oldies (as in time period, not dated-pop-music oldies) song that I once overheard playing on a radio at a construction site: The refrain was something about "Night after night after night after day" -something, something- something-about-darkness-something-"anyway" (I know the last bit rhymed with "day"). Mellow song, acoustic guitar, I think.
Dear xkcd,

On behalf of my religion, I'm sorry so many of us do dumb shit. Please forgive us.

Love, Aikanaro.

el_loco_avs

Postby el_loco_avs » Tue Feb 17, 2009 10:46 am UTC

Aikanaro wrote:Some semi-oldies (as in time period, not dated-pop-music oldies) song that I once overheard playing on a radio at a construction site: The refrain was something about "Night after night after night after day" -something, something- something-about-darkness-something-"anyway" (I know the last bit rhymed with "day"). Mellow song, acoustic guitar, I think.

Could it be Colin Hay's Overkill?

I can't get to sleep
I think about the implications
Of diving in too deep
And possibly the complications

Especially at night
I worry over situations
I know I'll be alright
Perhaps it's just imagination

Day after day it reappears
Night after night my heartbeat shows the fear
Ghosts appear and fade away

Alone between the sheets
Only brings exasperation
It's time to walk the streets
Smell the desperation

At least there's pretty lights
And though there's little variation
It nullifies the night from overkill

Come back another day

I can't get to sleep
I think about the implications
Of diving in too deep
And possibly the complications

Especially at night
I worry over situations
I know I'll be alright
It's just overkill

You go your way.
I'll go your way too.

Aikanaro

Postby Aikanaro » Wed Feb 18, 2009 4:25 am UTC

Don't think so.....but thanks, I'll have to listen to that later to make sure...
Dear xkcd,

On behalf of my religion, I'm sorry so many of us do dumb shit. Please forgive us.

Love, Aikanaro.

RoadieRich
The Black Hand

Postby RoadieRich » Wed Mar 04, 2009 6:06 pm UTC

I've found a random midi on my computer. I recognise it, but can't identify it. The filename isn't any help, either.

What is it?

(To open, just remove the .zip extension)
73, de KE8BSL loc EN26.

1337geek

Postby 1337geek » Wed Mar 04, 2009 7:55 pm UTC

RoadieRich wrote:I've found a random midi on my computer. I recognise it, but can't identify it. The filename isn't any help, either.

Timidity says the track name is "GS by M", if that's any help.
"Duct tape is like the Force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together." --Carl Zwanzig

Brunch

Postby Brunch » Fri Mar 06, 2009 5:28 am UTC

I wrote:You're going to hate me for this, but I don't have a link - only some basic notes.

It's a pretty famous song - in the music video there's like a little kid who comes and plays the piano with another older guy, but I can't remember details. It's mostly on the piano. Most people recognize it the second they hear it but no one seems to know the name.
The chord progression is a basic C > A > F > G.
The first melodic phrase is E E E - EDCDEF - G G G.

Sorry for the vagueness, thanks for the help.

EDIT: Got it ID'd. It's Heart and Soul. Thanks.

Cryopyre

Postby Cryopyre » Sun Mar 08, 2009 8:12 pm UTC

At the FIRST robotics competitions in San Diego I heard this R&B song twice. It had the most epic violining in it that I've ever heard.
Felstaff wrote:I actually see what religion is to social, economical and perhaps political progress in a similar way to what war is to technological progress.

Gunfingers wrote:Voting is the power to speak your mind. You, apparently, had nothing to say.

DrWurm

Postby DrWurm » Mon Mar 09, 2009 4:37 am UTC

Cryopyre wrote:At the FIRST robotics competitions in San Diego I heard this R&B song twice. It had the most epic violining in it that I've ever heard.

No idea what song you're referring to, but *high five* fellow FIRSTer :D what team?
Yeah, I grow carnivorous plants... what of it?

1337geek

Postby 1337geek » Mon Mar 09, 2009 4:05 pm UTC

Cryopyre wrote:I heard this R&B song twice. It had the most epic violining in it that I've ever heard.

There is an album by Miri Ben-Ari called "The Hip-Hop Violinist." Perhaps it could be something from that?
"Duct tape is like the Force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together." --Carl Zwanzig

Cryopyre

Postby Cryopyre » Mon Mar 09, 2009 9:20 pm UTC

DrWurm wrote:
Cryopyre wrote:At the FIRST robotics competitions in San Diego I heard this R&B song twice. It had the most epic violining in it that I've ever heard.

No idea what song you're referring to, but *high five* fellow FIRSTer :D what team?

Boxerbots, we'll be at phoenix, how about you?
Felstaff wrote:I actually see what religion is to social, economical and perhaps political progress in a similar way to what war is to technological progress.

Gunfingers wrote:Voting is the power to speak your mind. You, apparently, had nothing to say.

Zencapop

Postby Zencapop » Fri Mar 13, 2009 6:31 pm UTC

Can anyone please identify the music playing in the background in this clip: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7IAWtqnk3uA

DrWurm

Postby DrWurm » Sun Mar 15, 2009 7:39 pm UTC

Cryopyre wrote:
DrWurm wrote:

Boxerbots, we'll be at phoenix, how about you?

I'm not on a team at the moment, I might pick up mentoring some time though. I was on 294 as a high schooler though.
Yeah, I grow carnivorous plants... what of it?

thatguy

Postby thatguy » Tue Mar 17, 2009 3:34 am UTC

I heard a Pink Floyd song (I'm pretty sure it was "Wish You Were Here," but I'm not completely certain) done by a bluegrass band. Any leads?

Chai Kovsky wrote:Thatguy, you are my Big Damn Hero!
Thank you! You win the day!

Mathmagic
It's not as cool as that Criss Angel stuff.

Postby Mathmagic » Tue Mar 17, 2009 4:39 pm UTC

thatguy wrote:I heard a Pink Floyd song (I'm pretty sure it was "Wish You Were Here," but I'm not completely certain) done by a bluegrass band. Any leads?

Here is the first Google hit for covers of pink floyd bluegrass. Is anything in that track list what you're looking for?
Axman: That, and have you played DX 10 games? It's like having your corneas swabbed with clits made out of morphine.
Pathway: cocks cocks cocks

thatguy

Postby thatguy » Wed Mar 18, 2009 12:27 am UTC

I'm not sure. It's been a while. I think it was slower, but thanks. I'll see if i can find a full version of that song and the podcast where I heard it.

Chai Kovsky wrote:Thatguy, you are my Big Damn Hero!
Thank you! You win the day!

ExpatYankInBritain

Postby ExpatYankInBritain » Sat Mar 21, 2009 2:18 pm UTC

aaron wrote:oh my god, i have had this song stuck in my head and i can't figure it out.

i don't want you
but i need you to
garbled garbled

and then it goes "and you'll be [something] ooo-wooo-oooh" in a falsetto. and the rest of the chorus is in falsetto. that's as much as i can remember.

it's a really upbeat pop song. i am not going to sleep tonight until i figure this out. halp.

It sounds like it could be You've Really Got A Hold On Me by Smokey Robinson and the Miracles - amirite?

temy

Postby temy » Sat Mar 21, 2009 4:37 pm UTC

I need the name of the artist and the song that goes like this "I'm sitting here beside myself, I'm staring at the novels on the shelf. A million words in front of me, but I can't find the one word that I need. If I could be an open book I wouldn't be misunderstood. Every word I left unspoken is like another promise broken. I've got to put it back together" I know it's from that movie but pls I need the titled of the song and the name of the artist, or if you have it mp3 pls e-mail me at temy_timy@yahoo.com

1337geek

Postby 1337geek » Sat Mar 21, 2009 6:18 pm UTC

temy wrote:I need the name of the artist and the song that goes like this "I'm sitting here beside myself, I'm staring at the novels on the shelf. A million words in front of me, but I can't find the one word that I need. If I could be an open book I wouldn't be misunderstood. Every word I left unspoken is like another promise broken. I've got to put it back together" I know it's from that movie but pls I need the titled of the song and the name of the artist

This was actually asked back on page 4 of this thread. The short answer: Nobody knows. If you Google the lyrics, all you find is people asking what song it is. You could always try contacting someone at the movie production company.
http://www.insightfilm.com/contact.html

a386

Postby a386 » Mon Mar 23, 2009 9:56 am UTC

a string quartet and classical guitar playing Concierto de Aranjuez from Sketches of Spain?

Cryopyre

Postby Cryopyre » Mon Mar 23, 2009 7:44 pm UTC

Please, save my brain, the song is still there.

It was violining, and the tempo was quick.

Duh-nuh-neh-neh-nuh-nuhhh Duh-nuh-neh-neh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuhhh Duh-nuh-neh-neh-nuh-nuhh Duh-nuh-neh-neh-nuh-nuhhh

Err, sorry, but that's the best I can provide.

And I think it was a pop song.

el_loco_avs

Postby el_loco_avs » Tue Mar 24, 2009 10:54 am UTC

a386 wrote:a string quartet and classical guitar playing Concierto de Aranjuez from Sketches of Spain?

" The Concierto de Aranjuez is a composition for classical guitar and orchestra by the Spanish composer Joaquín Rodrigo."

So, yeah, We'll need more information than that. It's an old piece, covered MANY times.

Some other (apparantly, according to wiki) famous versions are:
Ikuko Kawai ( a violinist)
Paco de Lucia (guitar)
Jim Hall (guitar)

(I picked out the ones that are possibilities)
You go your way.
I'll go your way too.

Asmodieus

Postby Asmodieus » Tue Mar 24, 2009 10:17 pm UTC

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZt92s9B4uI

Can someone tell what the song playing in the background is?
Tillian wrote:Yeah, but the polar bears get more territorial during the summer, so we have to stay indoors.

1337geek

Postby 1337geek » Wed Mar 25, 2009 3:36 am UTC

Asmodieus wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZt92s9B4uI

Can someone tell what the song playing in the background is?

The piece is called "Requiem for a Tower." A re-arranged version of Clint Mansell's "Lux Aeterna" from Requiem for a Dream, it was made specially for a Lord of the Rings trailer but not used in the movie.

Cryopyre

Postby Cryopyre » Thu Mar 26, 2009 1:34 am UTC

Okay, this one is a lot odder for identification, but luckily I have more to work with.

I want to know the songs in the backgrounds of both of these Alpha Centauri secret project videos
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yMIxYbhWQMI&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pL-sYwiioeY&feature=related

Both from SMAC. Any idea what the songs are, or how I could figure it out.

stapleface

Postby stapleface » Fri Mar 27, 2009 2:37 pm UTC

Cryopyre wrote:Okay, this one is a lot odder for identification, but luckily I have more to work with.

I want to know the songs in the backgrounds of both of these Alpha Centauri secret project videos
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yMIxYbhWQMI&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pL-sYwiioeY&feature=related

Both from SMAC. Any idea what the songs are, or how I could figure it out.

Pretty sure all the SMAC music was produced in-house, and there's a chance there might not be any more to those tracks than that which was in the video. Composer appears to be Jeffery L. Briggs anyway.

Register

Postby Register » Sun Apr 05, 2009 12:12 pm UTC

Alright this should really be a test for you guys. I'm trying to find an electronic song which I think is quite popular.

There are no lyrics, at least none I can remember. The note progression goes:

C C D C Eb Eb Eb F G F Bb Bb C Bb Eb Eb Eb D Bb and then repeats. Help please I'm trying so hard to find this song.

aaron

Postby aaron » Mon Apr 06, 2009 8:11 pm UTC

aaron wrote:oh my god, i have had this song stuck in my head and i can't figure it out.

i don't want you
but i need you to
garbled garbled

figured out this one, came up on shuffle a while back - it was "The Setup (You Need This)" by Reel Big Fish

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aLAv0QyeEQA

Asmodieus

Postby Asmodieus » Fri Apr 10, 2009 12:07 am UTC

http://www.imeem.com/people/c8d7plg/mus ... m-ipanema/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HgNTfDTUmxk

Not really a Song Identification, but what kind of genre would this be?

Yknow, a kind of loungy and whispery feel to the song.
Tillian wrote:Yeah, but the polar bears get more territorial during the summer, so we have to stay indoors.

sparks

Postby sparks » Fri Apr 10, 2009 8:00 pm UTC

sparks wrote:
suffer-cait wrote:anyone good at musicals?
lyrics:
"lucky in love,
lucky in love,
oh so lucky to be lucky in love"

Could it be something from Good News?

I have two! One was in a Nestlé commercial ages ago (one where a girl is looking at a chocolate on a counter and attracts it to her), and the song is more like "all I want is to be / all I want to be is me" or some such. Is sung by a girl and that part doesn't seem to have many instruments (like, only one or two) but MAYBE some kick in later after this part.

Another is a recent-ish dance song, that has rap and the chorus has a falsetto voice singing "ah ah ah ah ah ah ah aaaah" or something. It seems to me it was quite famous months ago, because I've heard it in several discos/radio stations.

I reiterate my request, and also point out the fact that the poster didn't seem to see my suggestion, because he said he found it on the page after and it was my exact answer :lol:

Anyway,
Cryopyre wrote:Please, save my brain, the song is still there.

It was violining, and the tempo was quick.

Duh-nuh-neh-neh-nuh-nuhhh Duh-nuh-neh-neh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuhhh Duh-nuh-neh-neh-nuh-nuhh Duh-nuh-neh-neh-nuh-nuhhh

Err, sorry, but that's the best I can provide.

And I think it was a pop song.

Being a pop song I have no clue, but that seems like Machines by Kiss Kiss.
(icon by clockwork-harlequin.net)
"An idea that is not dangerous is unworthy of being called an idea at all." ~ Oscar Wilde

Fuzzy_Wuzzy.bmp

Postby Fuzzy_Wuzzy.bmp » Tue Apr 14, 2009 1:47 pm UTC

Kay, heard this one on the radio, but the bastards, in a deviation from their norm, mentioned no title or artist or anything.
Sounded classical-ish, to be more specific, I heard two short segments, about a minute long each. They both contained only two instruments, as far as I could tell. Both had an organ, but it was a bit in the background. The first segment then had some wooden percussion instrument, and the second one had what sounded like those cymbals that are small and many in number, arranged in a circle on a wooden cylinder. I'm sure you know what kind I mean. Also, if this helps, you could hear the echo of both the percussion instruments, which made everything evenmore awesome. Any and all help is appreciated.

year in the sun

Postby year in the sun » Sun May 03, 2009 3:01 am UTC

there's an edith piaf song someone played for me in elementary school. i remember nothing about it except that the first line of the chorus ended with the words 'o la la, belle histoire'. it was a little brisker in tempo than most of her stuff.

i'd love to track it down but i don't like piaf so much that i'm willing to listen through every clip of her until i hit the right one. any help narrowing it down would be great.

*it's not je ne regrette rien, la vie en rose, amants d'un jour, je m'en fous pas mal, or mon legionnaire.
man susan,
die meeste mense is maar lekker zef

- valiant swart, lekker zef

el_loco_avs

Postby el_loco_avs » Sun May 03, 2009 1:35 pm UTC

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGrUNNDcYpk
La Belle Histoire d'Amour possibly?
Spoiler:
La belle histoire d'amour

by Edith Piaf

Quand un homme vient vers moi,