Cocktails

Apparently, people like to eat.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Prelates, Moderators General

Re: Cocktails

Postby Surgery » Mon Jan 12, 2009 6:57 pm UTC

mrorange wrote:being younger and not really a drinking type the only mixed drink (or drink of any kind) I've had was an Irish Car Bomb. Something of a seasonal drink specific to St. Patty's

Fill a pint glass about half full of Guinness.
    Take a shot glass (maybe it was a shot and a half glass, i don't know) fill one half Jameson and one half Bailey's.
    Drop the shot into the beer glass and chug. (if you don't drink it fast the Bailey's will curdle)
    Stand around and compare froth mustaches.
tastes good, looks cool (the creme goes all swirly) , and goes down easy :)
Wait, you're not much of a drinker so all you drink is Irish Car Bombs? That seems kind of odd to me, but whatever. I'm also going to agree with Bakemaster, what's the point if you can't even taste it? Even if it's to get drunk, at least have something tasty on the way. Like my father says, way to waste two good drinks (I say two because I learned it with just Baileys, no Jameson).

Also:
Hot Scotch for those really cold days. Pour whiskey in a glass, take a thick slice of lemon (1cm or ½an inch), stab it a bit and place it over the glass, pour brown sugar on this, a really thick layer and push it down into the slice a tad.
Then pour boiling water over the sugar, slowley so the water pulls the sugar through the lemon into the whiskey. The result is win and awesome.
I know it's an old post, but that sounds kind of awesome. I don't understand what you mean place the lemon over the glass though. Is the whiskey already in the glass, and you're holding the lemon over it while you pour the water over the sugar and lemon? Can I use Jack instead of a Scotch? Forgive me if these are stupid questions, I'm new in this area.

The only thing I have to add I guess is Amp Energy Drink and Vodka. About 12 oz and a single shot, respectively. Probably very much a college student mixed drink, but it's not bad.
Surgery

Postby Bakemaster » Tue Jan 13, 2009 12:45 am UTC

Oh, that reminds me! GirlTM made some of us Hot Toddies last week! And they were delicious!
c0 = 2.13085531 × 1014 smoots per fortnight
"Apparently you can't summon an alternate timeline clone of your inner demon, guys! Remember that." —Noc
Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Matt » Tue Jan 13, 2009 1:36 am UTC

Bakemaster wrote:In a more serious bent, I've just read the Wikipedia entry for sour mix, and I'm wondering if the experienced cocktail-makers in the thread have anything to add.

I never make sour mix anymore because even when making drinks for a group I never have to really go out of my way squeezing tons and tons of citrus. Adding sugar to a shaker is pretty easy, and citrus juice goes bad extremely quickly. No point.

And... egg whites? I'm not wild about the idea of a foamy cocktail, to be honest.

"Foaming agent" is sort of a misnomer. I haven't really been able to get myself to make an egg white drink at home yet, but the cocktail elite will assure you it gives a drink this silky texture when shaken for, well, a long long time. There are quite a few recently rediscovered cocktails that make use of it, like the completely weird ramos gin fizz
Hi. I'm from Massachusetts.
Matt

Postby Bakemaster » Tue Jan 13, 2009 2:13 am UTC

I just watched a video of a bartender making that drink, and... yeah, that's really odd-looking. But now I want to try it, if only to make some poor bartender shake my drink for ten minutes.
"Apparently you can't summon an alternate timeline clone of your inner demon, guys! Remember that." —Noc
Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Azrael » Tue Jan 13, 2009 2:31 am UTC

Bakemaster wrote:Oh, that reminds me! GirlTM made some of us Hot Toddies last week! And they were delicious!

Add to a rocks glass:
2 oz Rye
Juice of 1/2 lemon
1 star anise
1 cinnamon stick
4 cloves, stuck into a wedge of lemon
1 tsp sugar
Fill with hot water.

IT IS AWESOME
Azrael
Unintentionally Intoxicated

Postby d33p » Tue Jan 13, 2009 2:35 am UTC

For years, my friend Cowboy & I have been trying to perfect the "Douglas Fir." The concept is to mix a cocktail that tastes exactly like a Douglas Fir smells - clean pine with a hint of citrus.
So far we've attempted various measurements of gin, vodka, Triple Sec, and tonic. Only once, in a drunken fury, did we actually succeed to our satisfaction. Of course, being furiously drunk, we couldn't remember the mixture on our next try.
Can anyone in the thread come up with a permanent recipe? This has been my quest for some time now.
Parka wrote:I assume this is yours. I don't know anyone else who would put "kill a bear" on a list.
d33p
Happy Fun Ball

Postby Bakemaster » Tue Jan 13, 2009 2:46 am UTC

I hope you began by muddling a damp air freshener in the bottom of a rocks glass.
Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby d33p » Tue Jan 13, 2009 2:48 am UTC

I'm not entirely sure digesting the mushed-up contents of a rearview mirror pine tree would be, um, safe.
Parka wrote:I assume this is yours. I don't know anyone else who would put "kill a bear" on a list.
d33p
Happy Fun Ball

Postby Azrael » Tue Jan 13, 2009 2:52 am UTC

Infuse, for roughly one week, 37 douglas fir needles in a bottle of citrus vodka. Serve on the rocks with just a tiny touch of butterscotch schnapps.
Azrael

Postby d33p » Tue Jan 13, 2009 2:55 am UTC

Le fromage me brûle! ... In all seriousness, the concept of infusion had NOT occurred to me. I imagine it would be easier to infuse citrus into a dry, clean gin - and add that touch of quinine at the end.
Hmm. Drink for thought.
d33p
Happy Fun Ball

Postby Azrael » Tue Jan 13, 2009 2:58 am UTC

For what it's worth, I'd imagine that infusing actual needles would be terrible. Even the juniper in gin comes from the berries.
Azrael

Postby PictureSarah » Tue Jan 13, 2009 3:10 am UTC

http://www.zirbenz.com/ Someone has already done the work for you. Although, it's not Doug fir (which, incidentally, does not really smell like pine).
"A ship is safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
PictureSarah
Secretary of Penile Nomenclature

Postby d33p » Tue Jan 13, 2009 3:13 am UTC

Yeah, but there is a pine-y hint to it, underlying the citrus and wintery notes.
That Zirbenz looks pretty interesting, but as a liqueur, it's probably heavier than what I'm looking to achieve. Still, thanks for the info, Sarah.
d33p
Happy Fun Ball

Postby Amarantha » Wed Jan 14, 2009 11:59 am UTC

rrwoods wrote:Right, so what's the deal with cocktail shakers? I've just tried to use a Cobbler shaker (tumbler + strainer + cap) and it leaks like a sieve when I'm shaking the drink. What gives? Is this a bad shaker or is that just The Way It Is?
I think the coldness from the ice is supposed to contract the air within and form a seal. (Although of course you still have to hold the lid on so the shaking doesn't accidentally dislodge it). If the thing leaks, it might just be not a very good shaker. I use a boston shaker (mine's glass + metal), and it occasionally leaks a tiny bit, but I think that's just me being stingy with the ice and not putting the top on straight.
omgryebread wrote:...if I'm watching a fantasy, I want my princess to stab some motherfuckers, claim the crown herself, then invade the prince's kingdom and sleep with his sister.
Amarantha

Postby rrwoods » Wed Jan 14, 2009 3:05 pm UTC

Amarantha wrote:
rrwoods wrote:Right, so what's the deal with cocktail shakers? I've just tried to use a Cobbler shaker (tumbler + strainer + cap) and it leaks like a sieve when I'm shaking the drink. What gives? Is this a bad shaker or is that just The Way It Is?
I think the coldness from the ice is supposed to contract the air within and form a seal. (Although of course you still have to hold the lid on so the shaking doesn't accidentally dislodge it). If the thing leaks, it might just be not a very good shaker. I use a boston shaker (mine's glass + metal), and it occasionally leaks a tiny bit, but I think that's just me being stingy with the ice and not putting the top on straight.

It's possible I'm not using enough ice then. I've been only filling the thing about halfway if I'm making 2-3 of something; even less if I'm only making one for myself. I'll try filling it more.
26/M/taken/US
age/gender/interest/country

Belial wrote:The sex card is tournament legal. And I am tapping it for, like, six mana.
rrwoods

Postby Rinsaikeru » Wed Jan 14, 2009 9:10 pm UTC

My mother was a bartender and she won't use any shaker that isn't glass/metal. I have an all metal one and a plastic ikea one, I prefer the metal though.
Rice Puddin.
Rinsaikeru
Pawn, soon to be a Queen

Postby rrwoods » Fri Jan 16, 2009 3:53 am UTC

Whiskey Flip: It's Better Than Vista.

Whiskey, powdered sugar, half and half, and an egg. Shake with ice. It sounded interesting enough, but really it's just disgusting. Has anyone had one of these and liked it? If so, how was it made?
26/M/taken/US

Belial wrote:The sex card is tournament legal. And I am tapping it for, like, six mana.
rrwoods

Postby Decker » Fri Jan 16, 2009 11:04 pm UTC

My Newfie friend introduced me to several drinks including Coffee liqueur and milk and the secret family recipe for hot buttered rum. I make no secret that I am a pansy drinker.
I was angry with my friend. I told my wrath. My wrath did end.
I was angry with my foe. I told it not. My wrath did grow.
Decker

bar/drinks website?

Postby rrwoods » Tue Jan 20, 2009 9:56 pm UTC

[ maybe this can be merged with "cocktails" done. maybe you can put it there next time -Matt]

So there's lots of drink recipe websites out there, but any time I go to make a drink, I always find I'm missing a few ingredients. What I'd love is a website where you can set up a bar profile, tell the webiste what you have on hand (both alcoholic and non-alcoholic (sugar, cream, etc (optimally if you have the ingredients for something it would detect it; i.e., sugar -> simple syrup; lemon [juice], egg, sugar -> sour mix))) and you could see a list of drinks in the database that are possible for you to make. Optimally it would show you drinks where you can't necessarily garnish the drink (but let you know as much).

Anyone know of anything similar to this? Or do I need to get coding? :-P
Last edited by Matt on Wed Jan 21, 2009 1:32 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
26/M/taken/US

rrwoods

Postby Matt » Wed Jan 21, 2009 1:41 am UTC

rrwoods wrote:What I'd love is a website where you can set up a bar profile, tell the webiste what you have on hand (both alcoholic and non-alcoholic (sugar, cream, etc (optimally if you have the ingredients for something it would detect it; i.e., sugar -> simple syrup; lemon [juice], egg, sugar -> sour mix))) and you could see a list of drinks in the database that are possible for you to make.

I used to use Drinksmixer for this but their database of ingredients has tons of duplicates from when people call for specific brands of liquor or mixer, uncommon substitutions like Meyer Lemons, or miscellaneous typoes (caruçao, curacao, cŭrácäo, currasow, krakow). Not to mention their list of "cocktails" is filled with various disgusting, hangover-muddled, resourcefulness byproducts unfit for consumption by anyone with tastebuds or self-respect.

The Webtender is pretty assy as well.

I was actually thinking of CocktailDB, which has made some leaps and bounds in recent history and though their list may not have some of the more obscure drinks you'd find in, say, the Regan's manual or Mr. Boston, all the ones of any importance are likely there at least in footnote form.
Matt

Postby bigglesworth » Wed Jan 21, 2009 1:46 am UTC

Decker wrote:the secret family recipe for hot buttered rum.

Tell me more (by PM if needs be)
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.
bigglesworth
I feel like Biggles should have a title

Postby Decker » Wed Jan 21, 2009 2:53 am UTC

bigglesworth wrote:
Decker wrote:the secret family recipe for hot buttered rum.

Tell me more (by PM if needs be)

I would, but they didn't tell ME more.
I was angry with my friend. I told my wrath. My wrath did end.
I was angry with my foe. I told it not. My wrath did grow.
Decker

Postby rrwoods » Fri Jan 23, 2009 4:26 am UTC

Bloody Caesar: 2 dashes each of lime juice, Worcestershire sauce, and Tabasco sauce; 1 shot vodka; 5 ounces of clamato; salt and pepper to taste; over ice in a highball, garnish with a celery stalk. Very similar to a Bloody Mary, originated in Caesar's Palace.

This is a very interesting drink but I can't seem to make it without the Worcestershire overpowering the drink. Any tips on improving this without cheating and removing it entirely?
26/M/taken/US

rrwoods

Postby EsotericWombat » Fri Jan 23, 2009 7:58 am UTC

I happen to be a huge fan of Rachel Maddow. She happens to be a huge fan of classic cocktails.

http://gawker.com/5132819/let-rachel-ma ... -cocktails

I would totally let her bully me about cocktails.

She likes far more vermouth in her martini than I do, but nevertheless I absolutely love the videos.
EsotericWombat
Colorful Orator

Postby Amarantha » Wed Feb 04, 2009 11:03 am UTC

I just made my best aviation so far. The trick is selecting a nice sharp-flavoured lemon that's still more sour than bitter. Even when picking it fresh from the tree, choose carefully.
omgryebread wrote:...if I'm watching a fantasy, I want my princess to stab some motherfuckers, claim the crown herself, then invade the prince's kingdom and sleep with his sister.
Amarantha

Postby Mr. Mack » Sun Feb 08, 2009 7:18 am UTC

I'm writing up a review of Canadian Club 100 Proof.
First of all, I am so drunk that I am heading to the drunk thread for the first time ever.

But more importantly, The Foot Tapper Sting may be the best mint cocktail ever. My notes here call it "Mint Julep II: The Revenge."

It's sweet, but not too sweet. It's peppery, but not too peppery. It's minty, but not too minty. It's delicious, and maybe a little too delicious. Like, I need to develop self-control or else I'll die because of this cocktail. It is so good.
"Bagpipes, YES!"

Check out my girlfriend's Etsy shop, Kye's Kreations!
Mr. Mack

Postby bigglesworth » Sun Feb 08, 2009 2:20 pm UTC

Went out to an expensive cocktail bar last night.

They do absinthe. Properly, the Parisien way. And it was good. Oh so good.
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.
bigglesworth

Postby Impulse97 » Sun Feb 08, 2009 5:19 pm UTC

OTP.
I knew a Mr. Bigglesworth in a game called Ogame. Could you be the one and same? Dunno, Just curious.
Mighty Jalapeno wrote:Dude, everyone likes girls. Have you seen girls? Girls are hot!

The preceding sentence was made with good faith and good humor...

Impulse97

Postby bigglesworth » Sun Feb 08, 2009 5:28 pm UTC

Fraid not. My tag's from the books about a pilot, not Austin Powers.
bigglesworth

Postby Impulse97 » Mon Feb 09, 2009 3:54 am UTC

aaawwww woulda been so cool. (not that your not cool but the mere novality of the concidence would have been awsomly cool)

blah can't spell.
Mighty Jalapeno wrote:Dude, everyone likes girls. Have you seen girls? Girls are hot!

The preceding sentence was made with good faith and good humor...

Impulse97

Postby bigglesworth » Mon Feb 09, 2009 3:56 am UTC

bigglesworth wrote:Went out to an expensive cocktail bar last night.

They do absinthe. Properly, the Parisien way. And it was good. Oh so good.

Apparently they did it the Czech (and wrong) way. But it was still good.
bigglesworth

Postby Matt » Sun Feb 15, 2009 8:08 pm UTC

I lurk on eGullet and I was reading through yet another vodka martini gripe thread when it occurred to me that even though I tend to tell the bartender how to make every single drink I order, down to how to garnish, I tend to get a lot of cocktails intended to be shaken and served up served unstrained, on the rocks, in a highball glass. Is it really my own fault that I don't want to have to explain what "served up in a cocktail glass" means?

I mean I cringe when I hear someone ask me whether I want my drink "like a martini", but at least she's confirming that she doesn't know what she's doing and is asking to make sure she gets it right. Don't build my daiquiri in a highball glass and smile like you're doing just what I asked.
Matt

Postby Amarantha » Mon Feb 16, 2009 2:30 am UTC

Hey, I just read that eGullet thread last night :P Imo this sort of thing is yet another reason to love beer. Being fairly non-verbal, I tend to only order cocktails at places where I'm fairly sure they know how to make 'em.
Amarantha

Postby el_loco_avs » Tue Mar 24, 2009 11:29 am UTC

Anyone ever try Licor 43?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Licor_43

I love it. Vanilla and sweet and yummy as hell to put in your coffee.
You go your way.
I'll go your way too.
el_loco_avs

Postby rrwoods » Tue Mar 24, 2009 2:51 pm UTC

el_loco_avs wrote:Anyone ever try Licor 43?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Licor_43

I love it. Vanilla and sweet and yummy as hell to put in your coffee.

Every time I see this in a mixed drink recipe I wonder what it is. I've never remembered to look it up when I'm near a computer though. Thanks :-)

On another note, here's something yummy:

1 shot vodka
1 shot Southern Comfort
1 shot Chambord
1/2 shot simple syrup
juice of half a lemon
Shake with ice, strain into ice-filled highball.
26/M/taken/US

rrwoods

Postby Lirri » Fri Mar 27, 2009 11:37 am UTC

So I was probably really annoying at bars the first few years after I started drinking. I would go into bars and ask the bartender to get inventive and make me something. Depending on my mood I'll jump from sweet/sour/bitter.

The two drinks that have kept with me through my experimental phase are Long Islands made with Cointreau and Hennessy and Ginger Ale (my favorite drink ever, served in a pint - tastes like apple juice).

I'm glad I decided to look through this thread, I inherited about 50 bottles of liquor from a friend that decided to quit drinking. Trying to get inventive with the stuff I have.

Weirdest thing that has ever happened to me is that I took my oldest out for dinner one night and asked for a chocolate martini (I decided to skip dessert and just get something light since I was out with my kid). I got a glass swirled with chocolate syrup and filled with Absolut...
Lirri

Postby Matt » Sun Mar 29, 2009 2:49 am UTC

Lirri wrote:Weirdest thing that has ever happened to me is that I took my oldest out for dinner one night and asked for a chocolate martini (I decided to skip dessert and just get something light since I was out with my kid). I got a glass swirled with chocolate syrup and filled with Absolut...

Hats off to Mister Bartender. He owned you hardcore. Would've been twice as sweet if it were filled with Tanq or something
Matt

Postby Lirri » Sun Mar 29, 2009 9:32 am UTC

Matt wrote:Hats off to Mister Bartender. He owned you hardcore. Would've been twice as sweet if it were filled with Tanq or something

It wasn't as much getting owned as it was the server having to mix a drink she hadn't mixed before. The bartender was on break.
Lirri

Postby rrwoods » Mon Mar 30, 2009 2:06 pm UTC

This one's fun:

Malibu Italian Surfer
1 shot Malibu
1/2 shot Di Saronno
1/2 shot cranberry juice
1/2 shot pineapple juice
Build over ice in a highball glass.
26/M/taken/US

rrwoods

Postby BMW787 » Tue Apr 07, 2009 5:14 pm UTC

I have now deemed that the white russian is my drink of choice. Thank you, Big Lebowski, thank you :D
"I wake up in the morning and I piss excellence." -Ricky Bobby

"Grow up and do coke like an adult." -Daniel Tosh
BMW787

PreviousNext

Return to Food