PETA Strikes Again-They Want Fish to be Called 'Sea Kittens'

Seen something interesting in the news or on the intertubes? Discuss it here.

Moderators: Zamfir, Hawknc, Moderators General, Prelates

d33p
Happy Fun Ball

Re: PETA Strikes Again-They Want Fish to be Called 'Sea Kittens'

Postby d33p » Tue Jan 13, 2009 2:22 am UTC

Sarr wrote:So would the Deep Ones now be called Sea KittohgoditseatingmysoulwhyPETAwhy?

Mmm, you summoned?

So, uh, how about seahorses? Besides being one of my favourite oceanic critters, I mean. Are they the trendsetters in being already correctly named?
SEAHORSES LEAD THE WAY!
Parka wrote:I assume this is yours. I don't know anyone else who would put "kill a bear" on a list.

scrovak

Postby scrovak » Tue Jan 13, 2009 3:05 am UTC

*Fix'd

MrGee wrote:I would never eat a person. Have you seen the conditions they're raised in?
kapojinha wrote:You're amazing, which is why I'm going to marry you.

Angua wrote:coordinated baby attacks

LeopoldBloom

Postby LeopoldBloom » Tue Jan 13, 2009 3:56 am UTC

so tiger shark= landsharksealion?

It makes my brain hurt. . .

Has anyone told this 'peta' how silly they are?
Nuke the Gay Islamic Whales for Jesus!!!!!

aleflamedyud
wants your cookies

Postby aleflamedyud » Tue Jan 13, 2009 6:12 am UTC

The thing about the "you wouldn't eat kittens" argument is that I know people who would eat kittens.
"With kindness comes naïveté. Courage becomes foolhardiness. And dedication has no reward. If you can't accept any of that, you are not fit to be a graduate student."

zealo

Postby zealo » Tue Jan 13, 2009 6:48 am UTC

why do people not eat kittens?

because they are cute? because of the name? because they taste bad? because farming carnivores for food is ineficient?

those last two wouldn't stop someone trying kitten if it was put in front of them, how crazy is peta on this one really?
ave_matthew wrote:in a perfect system a gallon of body fat is worth one third of the US GDP

Okita
Staying Alive

Postby Okita » Tue Jan 13, 2009 6:48 am UTC

If anything, calling fish sea kittens makes me think that you can have a deep fried kitten stick. Which is awful.

Consequently, if tuna is the chicken of the sea, and all fish are now sea kittens, what does that make a chicken? The sea kitten of the land?

I propose that only people who actually eat sea kitten call sea kittens, sea kittens while calling actually kittens lunch, dinner, or breakfast. But not snack, that's just poppycock.
"I may or may not be a raptor. There is no way of knowing until entering a box that I happen to be in and then letting me sunder the delicious human flesh from your body in reptile fury."

Mighty Jalapeno
Inne Juste 7 Dayes I Wille Make You A Hero!

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Tue Jan 13, 2009 7:01 am UTC

zealo wrote:why do people not eat kittens?

Your fundamental question is wrong.
Cat meat or cat flesh is meat derived from cats. It is eaten sporadically in southern China, northern Vietnam, Peru and Switzerland; cat has also been eaten in Britain. Spain also has a tradition of eating cat meat, especially cat brains. During wartime rationing, cats found their way into "rabbit" stews/pies and hence earned themselves the nickname "roof-rabbit". Cat is a regular menu item in Peru and is used in such dishes as fricasse and stews.

fyrenwater

Postby fyrenwater » Tue Jan 13, 2009 8:42 am UTC

If PETA knew how to properly generate publicity, they would have made a LOLseakittens site. I mean, they've already thrown logical thinking out the window. I suppose discarding grammar and spelling is the next step.

[edit]

Holy crap. Ganymede Searats.

Spoiler:
Fishing lead to...

...animal rights terrorists.

I really hope this isn't where PETA is headed. ::scared::
...It made more sense in my head.

Luthen

Postby Luthen » Tue Jan 13, 2009 10:19 am UTC

All you're doing is giving them ideas. God save us if PETA makes it to space first and prevents us hunting the xenofauna.
My fancy new blog Image I am not a vampire! Image PM my location for a prize!*

rnew: ALL GLORY TO THE HYPNOAVATAR!
*Terms + conditions changeable

Maseiken
The Candylawyer

Postby Maseiken » Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:50 am UTC

fyrenwater wrote:If PETA knew how to properly generate publicity, they would have made a LOLseakittens site. I mean, they've already thrown logical thinking out the window. I suppose discarding grammar and spelling is the next step.

[edit]

Holy crap. Ganymede Searats.

Spoiler:
Fishing lead to...

...animal rights terrorists.

I really hope this isn't where PETA is headed. ::scared::

No. PETA is leading to a goddamn circus!

Seriously, PETA, what the crap do you think you're doing? While I appreciate having Sexy ladies take off their clothes, I don't see what in the damn hell what it has to do with animal rights! And you don't seem to know either PETA, except that you're organising it! Apparently PETA is under the impression that it can undergo pretty much any campaign at all, and simply by virtue of the fact that IT IS PETA, it is in the name of animal rights.

Similarly, while calling fish 'Sea-Kittens' is a fun idea, you'll notice that it doesn't solve anything, or even really bring anything to anyone's attention, except for the fact that you are calling Fish Sea-Kittens, so... congratulations I guess... You got people to look at you. People are aware of cruelty to animals in the same vague, inactive manner in which they've always been aware of such things.

It could be argued that this is all such an organisation really need do, but you know what you COULD be doing? Saving Fugging Animals. Apparently you're too busy with your advertising initiatives to get around to that shit right now...
It doesn't take long for me to realise how stupid this is, and I'm not the large, animal-rights organisation here!
"GRRRRRRRRRROOOOOOOOWR!!!!"
(Translation: "Objection!")

Maseiken had the ball at the top of the key...

Woofsie

Postby Woofsie » Tue Jan 13, 2009 1:50 pm UTC

scrovak wrote:*Fix'd

I.. I think I'm in love.

Okita
Staying Alive

Postby Okita » Tue Jan 13, 2009 2:23 pm UTC

Mighty Jalapeno wrote:

Cat meat or cat flesh is meat derived from cats. It is eaten sporadically in southern China, northern Vietnam, Peru and Switzerland; cat has also been eaten in Britain. Spain also has a tradition of eating cat meat, especially cat brains. During wartime rationing, cats found their way into "rabbit" stews/pies and hence earned themselves the nickname "roof-rabbit". Cat is a regular menu item in Peru and is used in such dishes as fricasse and stews.

Suddenly that makes me think of a DF Catsplosion and the resulting cat tallow biscuits that ensue in an attempt to contain it.
"I may or may not be a raptor. There is no way of knowing until entering a box that I happen to be in and then letting me sunder the delicious human flesh from your body in reptile fury."

zealo

Postby zealo » Tue Jan 13, 2009 4:43 pm UTC

Mighty Jalapeno wrote:

i appologise for not putting enough detail into my question, while i still believe that most xkcdians understand my question quite clearly and prefer the brevity to unnecessary long questions, for your benefit i will rephrase and hope you realise that your answer did not, in fact, help me widen my view of this topic or any other.

i believe modern western society (which is where i assume most people on this thread are from, and also the audience PETA is aiming for) has what i believe to be an irational aversion to eating 'cat meat or cat flesh'. (sub in dog, dolphin or 'certain animals' if you want) i am interested to learn the common reasons and justifications people would use to not eat cat meat if a meal of it was prepared for them, if in fact they would not eat the meal, then try to find ways PETA's sea kitten campaign could possibly cause people to have the same reaction(s) to fish meals.

i may be wrong about one or more of these beliefs; you and many other xkcdians may have roast cat twice a week for all i know, or 35% of people here may be frome Northern Vietnam or Peru, or PETA may be hoping to change the oppinions of war-time Southern Chinese, or it may be that there is a very good reason to not eat cat that is widely known in western culture, just not by me. however, assuming my beliefs are correct; (and i would very much like to be corrected if they are not)
zealo wrote:why do people in modern western culture not eat kittens?
ave_matthew wrote:in a perfect system a gallon of body fat is worth one third of the US GDP

Indon

Postby Indon » Tue Jan 13, 2009 4:55 pm UTC

Because they make very good, low-maintenance pets? Contrast with their aquatic counterparts, which while also low-maintenance, are not nearly as interesting, because of differences in mobility and expressive capability.
So, I like talking. So if you want to talk about something with me, feel free to send me a PM.

My blog, now rarely updated.

Mighty Jalapeno

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Tue Jan 13, 2009 5:04 pm UTC

Well, probably because we're lazy. Cows are MUCH larger, easier to slaughter for large quantities of meat, and can't escape. Likewise, fish can be caught in gigantic nets, gutted and boned in SECONDS. A kitten, on the other hand, has very little edible meat, and is probably fairly labor intensive to extract. If cats has much larger amounts of red muscle, and didn't run so fast, they'd probably be food. Domesticated dogs have a long (multi-millenial) history of being companions, though, and eating companions has always been iffy.

As for dolphins, I know a place in the city where you can get dolphin meat, and I live in the West.

zealo

Postby zealo » Tue Jan 13, 2009 5:11 pm UTC

so if you were served a meal made from kitten meat, would you eat it?
EDIT: i was looking for reasons supporting a 'no' answer to that question, which is what i assume PETA is trying to work towards for seakittens.

"i'm too lazy to prepare a cat meal." is not, as far as i can work out, a logical reason to explain a no answer

Indon wrote:Because they make very good, low-maintenance pets? Contrast with their aquatic counterparts, which while also low-maintenance, are not nearly as interesting, because of differences in mobility and expressive capability.

does this still apply to wild cats?
at least cephalopods are boring enough to be eaten :)

so people don't like to eat animals that are potentially 'good pets'? good pets being animals that you can leave your children with, that you can see expressions on, that interact with you, that look cute, that you can dress up and take funny photos of if you want? isn't that how PETA are portraying fish?
Last edited by zealo on Tue Jan 13, 2009 5:21 pm UTC, edited 3 times in total.

Indon

Postby Indon » Tue Jan 13, 2009 5:14 pm UTC

Also, mind that real kittens constitute a subset of one single species, while sea kittens constitute many thousands of wildly divergent varieties of seakittenness.

People don't eat goldseakittens. People eat Tunaseakittens. Goldseakittens can potentially make for good pets - Tunaseakittens would not.
So, I like talking. So if you want to talk about something with me, feel free to send me a PM.

Mighty Jalapeno

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Tue Jan 13, 2009 5:17 pm UTC

zealo wrote:so if you were served a meal made from kitten meat, you would eat it?

I would certainly try it, if it seemed appetizing. Sort of hypocritical to eat some types of meat, and not others, simply because they're cuter. However, since I won't likely find myself in Peru anytime soon, it's probably not something I need to worry about.

zealo

Postby zealo » Tue Jan 13, 2009 5:24 pm UTC

Mighty Jalapeno wrote:
zealo wrote:so if you were served a meal made from kitten meat, you would eat it?

I would certainly try it, if it seemed appetizing. Sort of hypocritical to eat some types of meat, and not others, simply because they're cuter. However, since I won't likely find myself in Peru anytime soon, it's probably not something I need to worry about.

then we share the same point of view. i am simply trying to understand alternative points of view, and then evaluate if the PETA campaign is likely to work on people who have these alternative points of view.

Mighty Jalapeno

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Tue Jan 13, 2009 5:27 pm UTC

The campaign is aimed at the (lamentably LARGE) demographic that doesn't consider what they eat at ALL, and is trying to give them a case of the squiks next time they try to eat Healthy Breaded seakittensticks.

Amoeba

Postby Amoeba » Tue Jan 13, 2009 5:33 pm UTC

Mighty Jalapeno wrote:

I know someone who does exactly this... She refuses to eat fish 'cause they're ugly, or lamb 'cause lambs are cute. And won't eat anything that's in the shape of the animal (like some breaded fish). She is frustrating.

Also, can I be the first to mention the fact that catfish already exist please?

Edit: Apparently not. I did searching!
Last edited by Amoeba on Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:56 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Jesus Christ you have confused me

zealo

Postby zealo » Tue Jan 13, 2009 5:38 pm UTC

no, several others have done that already.

MJ: i guess there are people who will do what they are told without much thought, but those people would be better dealt with by an "eating fish is cruel, *insert reason*" meassage than "call fish seakittens" i feel

also, you can buy dolphin in london? and enough people buy it to make it worth selling?

here dolphins are treated like panda's are in china :/

Mighty Jalapeno

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Tue Jan 13, 2009 5:39 pm UTC

I don't live in London, that's just a Blackadder quote. I live in Canada.

zealo

Postby zealo » Tue Jan 13, 2009 5:44 pm UTC

same question insert your own city?

if true canada just became more awesome to me

Mighty Jalapeno

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Tue Jan 13, 2009 5:46 pm UTC

Well, the city has a ~40% immigrant population, Asian and Indian, so... yup. Lots of people will buy it.

wst

Postby wst » Tue Jan 13, 2009 9:58 pm UTC

zealo wrote:so if you were served a meal made from kitten meat, would you eat it?
Yep, as long as it's not my kitten. She'd taste like old boots. I had pet rabbits and I've eaten rabbit before. I've shoved my hand up a chickens arse to remove its guts. Meat's just meat to me, but I wouldn't eat person ;)
Anything I said pre-2014 that you want to quote me on, just run it past me to check I still agree with myself.

Luthen

Postby Luthen » Tue Jan 13, 2009 10:16 pm UTC

zealo wrote:so people don't like to eat animals that are potentially 'good pets'? good pets being animals that you can leave your children with, that you can see expressions on, that interact with you, that look cute, that you can dress up and take funny photos of if you want? isn't that how PETA are portraying fish?
Yes that is, however we're discussing how ridiculous and simplified they've made it. I know some people (like my mother sometimes) who would be able to give fish at least a 5 out of 6 rating for the attributes you mentioned. However this would be concerning goldseakittens and other small sea kittens. If you asked them to rate great white seatigers you'd get a very different answer.

EDIT: In response to below post but not deserving it's own: Longseakitty is loooooooooooooooooooooooooong.
Last edited by Luthen on Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:04 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
My fancy new blog Image I am not a vampire! Image PM my location for a prize!*

rnew: ALL GLORY TO THE HYPNOAVATAR!
*Terms + conditions changeable

tricky77puzzle
Will take "No Tresspassing Signs" for 500

Postby tricky77puzzle » Tue Jan 13, 2009 10:21 pm UTC

Maybe they should change their name to "People for the Ethical Naming of Ichthyic Sea-creatures", or perhaps "Community for the Unbiased Naming of Trout" (even if they're not all trout in general, I needed the acronym). Then they might get some recognition for their "batshit insanity".

edit2: next thing you know, there'll be LOL-SEA-CATS.

Woofsie

Postby Woofsie » Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:14 pm UTC

wst wrote:Meat's just meat to me, but I wouldn't eat person ;)

I'm curious, why not?

Tag

Postby Tag » Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:16 pm UTC

I think we can all see what effect was in force here....

Spoiler:
seakitten2.jpg
seakitten2.jpg (30.34 KiB) Viewed 4913 times

(Made last night, but my net connection went down so I couldn't upload it - it's mostly been said between then and now, but I thought I'd post it for your enlightenment anyway. Based on XKCD, usual cc-by-nc licencing stuff.)

Phen

Postby Phen » Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:18 pm UTC

Okita wrote:
Mighty Jalapeno wrote:

Suddenly that makes me think of a DF Catsplosion and the resulting cat tallow biscuits that ensue in an attempt to contain it.

What this makes Carp I'm not even sure I want to think about.

I love Peta. Pure comedic genious, really.
I'm a wizard. We know these things.

In war, one should seek to take and hold the high ground. From there, the enemy's movements are clearly visible, and he will struggle just to reach you, let alone fight you. High orbit is the highest ground there is.

wst

Postby wst » Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:27 pm UTC

Woofsie wrote:
wst wrote:Meat's just meat to me, but I wouldn't eat person ;)
I'm curious, why not?
Well, I would, if I was in 'plane-crash-on-island' thing, but not if offered at a restaurant. Either they'd be really old and taste manky/tough, or they'd have died young and have surviving relatives, and considering how "I have licked your daughters nipples" is a wierd conversation, imagine "I've eaten your dead-daughters kidneys".

And the idea of eating placenta doesn't float my boat either, even though it's kinda renewable. Texture is weird.
Anything I said pre-2014 that you want to quote me on, just run it past me to check I still agree with myself.

Bluggo

Postby Bluggo » Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:49 pm UTC

About the whole "eating kittens" thing: during WWII, one of my grandmas was stranded on a small mountain town for a few months, and she ate half-feral cats when she could get them - as she put it, "dogs would have been meatier, but they were all gone by then".

According to her, they taste almost like rabbit, and they are not bad at all if you are 11 year old, in a war zone and hungry.

Returning to the PETA silliness, at least we can still eat whale...
Mary Ellen Rudin wrote:Let X be a set. Call it Y.

tricky77puzzle
Will take "No Tresspassing Signs" for 500

Postby tricky77puzzle » Wed Jan 14, 2009 12:04 am UTC

Tag wrote:I think we can all see what effect was in force here....

Spoiler:
seakitten2.jpg

(Made last night, but my net connection went down so I couldn't upload it - it's mostly been said between then and now, but I thought I'd post it for your enlightenment anyway. Based on XKCD, usual cc-by-nc licencing stuff.)

This was very funny. Really.

Delass

Postby Delass » Wed Jan 14, 2009 6:59 am UTC

A while back there was a question about what meat one would eat...As a person who much prefers meat to vegetables, there are a few things I would rather not eat, not counting eat this or die situations. Dolphins and whales and monkeys, because they are near sentient. Dogs, cats, rabbits, horses because they are companion animals. Rodents, because I really don't think they would taste good. I guess if a good friend offered to prepare one, I would atleast try it, but I really do not see that happening. Also, I wouldn't eat an animal that iv trained to show at a fair, ie my lamb, because its like a companion animal. Other lambs I am fine with rather enjoy eating. However, if I raise an animal purely for market, and not show, then im fine with eating it. Bears and other species that arent doing too well I would frown upon killing just for consumption, as well. However, if a bear or something was killed in self defense, I would try the meat.

And thats about all I can think of.

Indon

Postby Indon » Wed Jan 14, 2009 10:56 pm UTC

Woofsie wrote:I'm curious, why not?

Isn't human meat not healthy for humans to eat, for some reason?

IggyJack

Postby IggyJack » Wed Jan 14, 2009 11:51 pm UTC

Levi wrote:http://www.peta.org/sea_kittens/
I think every last ecologist just shit himself and is now calling PETA every sailor term in the book, or at least thats what im doing right now. Come on PETA, "sea kittens"? Fish are not that damn cute, you cannot compare them to cats.
Belief in a cruel God makes a cruel man. -Thomas Paine.
My country is the world, and my religion is to do good. -Thomas Paine.

Briareos

Postby Briareos » Thu Jan 15, 2009 1:07 am UTC

They have free avatars!
Sandry wrote:Bless you, Briareos.

Blriaraisghaasghoasufdpt.
Oregonaut wrote:Briareos is my new bestest friend.

Jesse
Vocal Terrorist

Postby Jesse » Thu Jan 15, 2009 1:09 am UTC

Not all fish live in the sea.

Return to “News & Articles”