0530: "I'm An Idiot"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

von Eisenstein

0530: "I'm An Idiot"

Postby von Eisenstein » Wed Jan 14, 2009 5:01 am UTC

http://xkcd.com/530/

Alt Text: Sadly, this is a true story. At least I learned about the OS X 'say' command.

Doorbell? What doorbell?
...oh, THAT doorbell?
Well, sometimes it's FUN to challenge yourself. =D

Edit: Sorry about the multiple threads. Firefox was jamming up, so I clicked "submit" a few extra times. Don't worry, i deleted the extra ones I accidentally created.
Last edited by von Eisenstein on Wed Jan 14, 2009 5:05 am UTC, edited 2 times in total.

dennisw

"I'm An Idiot" Discussion

Postby dennisw » Wed Jan 14, 2009 5:01 am UTC

Title-text: Sadly, this is a true story. At least I learned about the OS X 'say' command.

Link: http://xkcd.com/530/

Something about bicycle sheds comes to mind, but I might be thinking of the wrong thing.
Try the Printifier for xkcd. You can now scale the comic between 50 and 150%.

I find these very useful: Common Errors in English Usage (web site) and Eats, Shoots & Leaves (book). You may, too.

e pluribus unum
Unleash unlicensed ungulates!

nerdyintheextreme

Re: "I'm An Idiot" Discussion

Postby nerdyintheextreme » Wed Jan 14, 2009 5:02 am UTC

beat me to it. It made me laugh out loud. I could totally see someone doing this.

frogger626

Postby frogger626 » Wed Jan 14, 2009 5:03 am UTC

3 threads, 2 of them the same, 1 of which is last weeks comic, and that one was made by the guy who made one of the other two.
Is XKCD post time always such a clusterfuck?

EDIT about 30s later: OK, 6 threads. What the hell?
Admit nothing, deny everything, die controversial.
3.25.09- LEST WE FORGET

Pifreak94

Postby Pifreak94 » Wed Jan 14, 2009 5:04 am UTC

This one seems to be the first thread created with the proper format, so...

Is it actually possible to set the volume in OS X using command line?

TheHand

Postby TheHand » Wed Jan 14, 2009 5:05 am UTC

A testament to XKCDs popularity!

But I tell ya what we've all had these idiot moments. I had a similar one just the other way, thought I am too embarrassed to mention it :/ Unlike XKCD!

Sirobin

Postby Sirobin » Wed Jan 14, 2009 5:06 am UTC

Hahaha, that's so amazing. Can we get a slow clap going for Randall?

von Eisenstein

Postby von Eisenstein » Wed Jan 14, 2009 5:06 am UTC

frogger626 wrote:3 threads, 2 of them the same, 1 of which is last weeks comic, and that one was made by the guy who made one of the other two.

Yeah, sorry about that. My browser jammed up and I clicked "submit" a little bit too eagerly. I deleted the extra threads.

frogger626

Postby frogger626 » Wed Jan 14, 2009 5:07 am UTC

von Eisenstein wrote:
frogger626 wrote:3 threads, 2 of them the same, 1 of which is last weeks comic, and that one was made by the guy who made one of the other two.

Yeah, sorry about that. My browser jammed up and I clicked "submit" a little bit too eagerly. I deleted the extra threads.

Heh, no harm done.
And then there were two...
Admit nothing, deny everything, die controversial.
3.25.09- LEST WE FORGET

Steve the Pocket

Postby Steve the Pocket » Wed Jan 14, 2009 5:08 am UTC

"Say," eh? Things haven't changed all that much since the Amiga days.

Also I wish I knew how to do stuff like this. There needs to be a TV show about a guy who uses these kinds of geek tricks to, like, fight crime or something. A high-tech MacGuyver, if you will.
cephalopod9 wrote:Only on Xkcd can you start a topic involving Hitler and people spend the better part of half a dozen pages arguing about the quality of Operating Systems.

Baige.

GodShapedBullet

Postby GodShapedBullet » Wed Jan 14, 2009 5:10 am UTC

Sometimes I'm really impressed with Randall Munroe's ability to convey emotion with stick figures without faces. The changes between the last and second last panel really do this well.

I think this is one of my favorite xkcds in a while.

ncolon

Postby ncolon » Wed Jan 14, 2009 5:12 am UTC

sudo osascript -e "set Volume 10"

... sigh

phlip
Restorer of Worlds

Postby phlip » Wed Jan 14, 2009 5:14 am UTC

Pifreak94 wrote:Is it actually possible to set the volume in OS X using command line?

You can in Linux, I assume it's possible in BSD/OSX/etc too... to quote my ~/.fluxbox/keys file:

Code: Select all

None XF86AudioLowerVolume :Exec amixer set Master 1- unmute; amixer set PCM 1- unmute
None XF86AudioMute :Exec if amixer get Master | grep -q \\\[on\\\]; then amixer set Master mute; else amixer set Master unmute; fi
None XF86AudioRaiseVolume :Exec amixer set Master 1+ unmute; amixer set PCM 1+ unmute
(That's ALSA, not OSS, but I'd be very surprised if there wasn't an equivalent...)
[edit] Bah, ninjaed indeed...

*Joins in the slow clap, tries to hide all evidence of himself having tried similar things...*

enum ಠ_ಠ {°□°╰=1, °Д°╰, ಠ益ಠ╰};
void ┻━┻︵​╰(ಠ_ಠ ⚠) {exit((int)⚠);}
[he/him/his]

dennisw

Postby dennisw » Wed Jan 14, 2009 5:14 am UTC

Nope, it wasn't bike sheds. Must be some weird associative memory I have.
Try the Printifier for xkcd. You can now scale the comic between 50 and 150%.

I find these very useful: Common Errors in English Usage (web site) and Eats, Shoots & Leaves (book). You may, too.

e pluribus unum
Unleash unlicensed ungulates!

NoOneButMe

Postby NoOneButMe » Wed Jan 14, 2009 5:15 am UTC

Should be noted that osascript means you're technically running an applescript to do the job, not changing the volume directly from the terminal. And you don't need the sudo.

/edit: @phlip: OS X doesn't have amixer - it's sound system is quite different from *BSD or Linux.

alextm

Postby alextm » Wed Jan 14, 2009 5:16 am UTC

One, it's "osascript -e 'set volume 10'" as root or the currently logged in user on 10.4 or
"sudo launchctl bsexec <pid of current loginwindow> osascript -e 'set volume 10'" on 10.5 and up. I had most of this memorized

Yes, I am a mac sysadmin, how could you tell.

Edit: forgot version spec
Edit2: beaten to punch, but have more info

pyroman

Postby pyroman » Wed Jan 14, 2009 5:25 am UTC

Haha excellent comic. I've definitely had these moments. One of which involved me finally ending up picking the lock after an array of other attempts to get inside after forgetting my key. Of course it would have all been a lot easier if i had remembered about the spare key in the garage (use a keypad door opener). I actually had to go into the garage too to get the tools i needed to pick the lock with = /. oh well.

also weird to see Randall make reference to the say command. I just discovered and started messing around with it myself the other day. Thus far i have succeeded in creating a crude apple script program to go off at a given time and insult people.... yea... i've got a lot of work to do with auto scripting.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Benjamin Franklin

Eternal Density

Postby Eternal Density » Wed Jan 14, 2009 5:25 am UTC

Steve the Pocket wrote:"Say," eh? Things haven't changed all that much since the Amiga days.
Ooh, yes, that was fun...
Which reminds me, if you entered ...............................................................................................
........................................................................................................ etc, it would say "and on and so and on and so and on and so and on and so" etc.
I also had "Joker X-Word", the multiplayer crossword game which would (try to) pronounce your new words and the names of the players, and if you messed up a turn it would say "All new words must link to the crossword." Good times.

But back to the comic... reminds me of the time I was trapped in an alternate spacetime and needed to adjust the last 1k binary digits in the value of Pi so a sufficiently advanced race would know how to open a portal to let me back again. That was kinda dangerous.
Pity I forgot I could get back to the real world by 'waking up', or I could have avoided being two days late for work.
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

Pizzashark

Postby Pizzashark » Wed Jan 14, 2009 5:26 am UTC

GodShapedBullet wrote:Sometimes I'm really impressed with Randall Munroe's ability to convey emotion with stick figures without faces. The changes between the last and second last panel really do this well.

I'm continually struck with admiration in that ability. Somehow it makes the funny comics funnier and the sad/poignant comics more... sad/poignant.

And doorbells are for cheaters.
UDSA inspected, FDA approved.
Everyone wants a slice.™

Waldo

Postby Waldo » Wed Jan 14, 2009 5:27 am UTC

Heh, I didn't know about the 'say' command until I saw the comic.

Oh the fun I shall have now... :twisted:
[Signature pending...]

aion7
Location: In a base with which you identify, killing dudes to whose team you belong

Postby aion7 » Wed Jan 14, 2009 5:31 am UTC

It's the stupid things we do in life that teach us most.

Except when they're really stupid. For example, I once banged my knee against the door I was opening more than ten times in a row. I learned nothing. Instead of knowledge, I got a bruised knee. Feel free to quote that out of context.
Spoiler:
Zeroignite wrote:And you have suddenly become awesome.

joshz wrote:Oh, you so win.

internets++ for aion7.

jerdak wrote:Nothing says hello like a coconut traveling near the speed of light.

Sgeo

Postby Sgeo » Wed Jan 14, 2009 5:33 am UTC

My "I'm An Idiot" story:

So, I get my laptop back, and want to use it to play a video for my grandmother, but the volume's too low. The Windows volume control is all the way up, as is the volume control in YouTube. I tried various things, including some 30-day trial for some equalizer software, and downloading the video and playing it in VLC, neither of which help. So I look for a place to plug the external speakers from my desktop in, and I find the volume control, turned most of the way down..

WontonSoup

Postby WontonSoup » Wed Jan 14, 2009 5:34 am UTC

GodShapedBullet wrote:Sometimes I'm really impressed with Randall Munroe's ability to convey emotion with stick figures without faces. The changes between the last and second last panel really do this well.

Yeah, actually, I didn't read the title before I started reading the comic, and when I saw the last two panels, I just thought "Wow, I bet that guy feels like an idiot."
I was glad to see that the title had echoed my thoughts. (Or vice-versa?)

'; DROP DATABASE;--

Postby '; DROP DATABASE;-- » Wed Jan 14, 2009 5:50 am UTC

Waldo wrote:Heh, I didn't know about the 'say' command until I saw the comic.

Oh the fun I shall have now... :twisted:
Me either. Doesn't sound all that great though. (BTW, you have to run eposd before you use it, as I discovered.)

By the way it sounds, I don't think it parses plain English... does alright with romaji though. :P (But can't read kana at all.)

This reminds me a bit of the time I did all sorts of fiddling with numbers and solving to figure out how to turn x/y into a percent, before finally remembering it's just (x/y)*100. >_>
Last edited by '; DROP DATABASE;-- on Wed Jan 14, 2009 5:53 am UTC, edited 2 times in total.
poxic wrote:You suck. And simultaneously rock. I think you've invented a new state of being.

Amaroq

Postby Amaroq » Wed Jan 14, 2009 5:51 am UTC

Great example of a hacker reading too far into a problem and completely missing the simplest solution. xD

alchemistique

Postby alchemistique » Wed Jan 14, 2009 6:05 am UTC

Talk about a get-out-of-my-head-Randall moment. Just earlier today, I was explaining Mac speech synth to a friend! Of course, I completely failed as a Mac nerd for forgetting how to actually do it, but...that's neither or nor there.

Great comic.

simX

Postby simX » Wed Jan 14, 2009 6:10 am UTC

Actually, guys, it's:

osascript -e "set volume 7"

Sure, "set volume 10" does work, but it indicates you probably didn't use a Mac in the Classic Mac OS days. :)

The Mad Scientist

Postby The Mad Scientist » Wed Jan 14, 2009 6:17 am UTC

This is exactly the kind of mistake that really smart people tend to make. A dilemma presents itself, and where most people would feel only frustration, the very smart person feels both frustration and excitement: now they get to think their way out of a dilemma! The dilemma is necessarily either easy or difficult to resolve, and most of the time the very smart person is good at determining which is the case. If there's a simple solution, they almost always find it quickly; if there's no simple solution, they usually discover a more subtle solution in time.

Once in a great while, though, they fail to realize that a dilemma is in fact easy to resolve, skip right over the simple solution, and spend hours looking for a subtle solution. Sometimes they find one, and sometimes the simple solution is the only solution: either way, they eventually realize (or have it pointed out to them) that there is a simple solution, and they end up looking like the stick figure in the last frame of this comic.

What's really annoying is when some idiot points out the simple solution. -_-

Asday

Postby Asday » Wed Jan 14, 2009 6:31 am UTC

I do this with a friend. I go round to his house, and nobody but him is in, and he has his music on, so I pull out my laptop, log into his wireless connection, tell him to open the bloody door over MSN, then bitch at him for about an hour.

Works like a charm.
16/m/UK Image

Yeah, you're not so interensted now, huh?

Zaraden

Postby Zaraden » Wed Jan 14, 2009 6:32 am UTC

Guys, everybody knows it's

case "`uname -r`" in
7\.*) osascript -e 'set volume 7' ;;
*) osascript -e 'set volume output volume 100' ;;
esac

Sheesh.
Let epsilon be less than zero...

flguy1980

Postby flguy1980 » Wed Jan 14, 2009 6:48 am UTC

This actually could have happened to me. I used to live in a 3-unit apartment building, and the front and back perimeter doors each had 3 doorbell buttons. One of our upstairs neighbor's drunk friends would show up at 0400 and start ringing all three doorbells over and over.

Our apartment was 1800 square feet (the entire first floor), and apparently, whoever built it in 1951 felt that an apartment of that size justifies three doorbell chime units: kitchen, hall, and _master bedroom_. Yeesh.

Needless to say, the doorbell for our apartment stopped working. We told our visitors to call our cell phones or knock on a window. As for UPS/FDX deliveries, we'd just miss 'em and pickup at the station with the knockers they left on the door. I actually told one FDX guy that our doorbell didn't work, so he called my cell phone when he showed up at my apartment building...

Steve the Pocket

Postby Steve the Pocket » Wed Jan 14, 2009 6:50 am UTC

Eternal Density wrote:
Steve the Pocket wrote:"Say," eh? Things haven't changed all that much since the Amiga days.
Ooh, yes, that was fun...
Which reminds me, if you entered ...............................................................................................
........................................................................................................ etc, it would say "and on and so and on and so and on and so and on and so" etc.

Yeah, "Say" was fun as all hell. I had way too much fun doing the Keyboard Mash and then listening to the ensuing gibberish. Long strings of vowels and symbols were my favorite: "ororororororororor" ... "yoooooyooyooyooyooyooyoo" ... "asteriskasteriskasteriskasterisk" ... I believe that's where I learned what an asterisk was called, come to think of it.

Man. I need to find me a free emulator.
cephalopod9 wrote:Only on Xkcd can you start a topic involving Hitler and people spend the better part of half a dozen pages arguing about the quality of Operating Systems.

Baige.

Ctta0s

Postby Ctta0s » Wed Jan 14, 2009 6:55 am UTC

Now if you happen to have a Mac laptop yourself (or a VNC client on another computer), the even cooler solution is to connect to the computer via VNC (built-in in Mac OS 10.5 or later). Then you can just click the volume control and set it to max. :)

For Mac OS 10.5: Finder -> Go menu -> Connect to Server... then enter vnc://<network address of your computer> for the server address, click Connect, enter your credentials, and voila. Computer is yours.

EDIT: Removed URL on vnc://

WXsniper

Postby WXsniper » Wed Jan 14, 2009 7:06 am UTC

And now to hack a doorbell to do that... now where did I put that extra doorbell?

squegie

Postby squegie » Wed Jan 14, 2009 7:37 am UTC

So this one really struck home.

I didn't do this as last resort, I did it more for the fun of it.

I have on several occasions gone over to my fiance's, pulled out my laptop (or it was already mounted/running in the car), hopped on the wifi, and sent her an aim message reading "knock, knock". Actually, this came in handy a few times when I came over late and didn't want to wake anyone up if the door was locked.

I have gone over and went inside. She would be upstairs and not realizing I was there. I would hop online and start chatting with her to give the impression I was at my home.

Nemphael

Postby Nemphael » Wed Jan 14, 2009 7:50 am UTC

aion7 wrote:For example, I once banged [...] the door I was opening more than ten times in a row. [...] Feel free to quote that out of context.

I once forgot my keys, and mom was at work and my brother was at a friend of his. I sat outside for three frickin' hours, waiting for either of them. Hadn't snowed yet and didn't that day either, luckily, but it was during winter. I think it was like -5 C/23 F/a cold day (Boston). Ohyey, I had the whole collection of Narnia books and a cell, so I wasn't really bored.

One other time, though, my brother came home and nobody was home. What did he do? He got a ladder and climbed in through the, err, balcony. Veranda. The door there wouldn't lock, for some reason. Security flaw later patched.

ZenBearClaw

Postby ZenBearClaw » Wed Jan 14, 2009 8:23 am UTC

Though what really struck me as odd was that as she was clearly using a laptop in the frame he didn't pop into the router and figure out who had the most recently used ports and simply message the terminal in use. Thats what flabbergasts me. Of course I used to do the same thing when I was pissed at the world in undergrad. I had an amp and huge speakers as my PC speakers in my dorm room. VNC was always on and the amp was always on, sometimes I'd just whack up the volume and play Orf for the silly kids that insisted on being loud and drunk in the hall at 3am. I'm older now and realize how cruel to other people that was.

Aurora

Postby Aurora » Wed Jan 14, 2009 8:36 am UTC

I've had so many "...I'm an idiot." moments throughout my relatively short life. Once, I came home and realized I had no key. I'm always forgetting to grab it in the morning... Well, of course, everything was locked up tight and even my usual fail-safe bedroom window entrance was locked. So I climbed onto the roof, shimmied down a pipe, opened the upstairs bathroom window while hanging on to said pipe, popping out the screen, climbing a bit higher and then climbing into the window.

It was at the point in the when I was putting the screen back into place that I realized my mom was home.

super_aardvark

Postby super_aardvark » Wed Jan 14, 2009 9:14 am UTC

Did anyone else immediately do 'man say | say'?

...not as helpful as I'd hoped.

musashi1600

Postby musashi1600 » Wed Jan 14, 2009 9:20 am UTC

I suppose this is a sign I should learn what else I can do with Terminal. >_>
It's Bicycle Repair Man!

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”