0533: "Laptop Hell"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

User avatar
Nemphael
Posts: 422
Joined: Fri Sep 12, 2008 9:44 pm UTC

Re: "Laptop Hell" Discussion

Postby Nemphael » Wed Jan 21, 2009 9:00 am UTC

DJBnJack wrote:This alt-text made me laugh out loud for real. Thanks!
Oh, how many hours of my life I've wasted reading bash.org :-)

Clearly you're doing it the wrong way. Tsh, wasting time reading Bash...

User avatar
Gelsamel
Lame and emo
Posts: 8237
Joined: Thu Oct 05, 2006 10:49 am UTC
Location: Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

Re: "Laptop Hell" Discussion

Postby Gelsamel » Wed Jan 21, 2009 9:05 am UTC

Felstaff wrote:~~Michael Savu


Ha, that is one of the better ones.
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
"Do you think games are silly little things?"
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
"Do you admit there is no meaning to this world?"
- > No

User avatar
krynd
Posts: 194
Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2008 2:09 am UTC
Location: Basement Bedroom

Re: "Laptop Hell" Discussion

Postby krynd » Wed Jan 21, 2009 9:30 am UTC

linguistic wrote:On meta-topic:
I'm surprised some enterprising jerk hasn't put together a script to repeatedly check for xkcd updates, then craft a perfectly formed thread about it and post.

All the user would have to do then is edit the post and add some commentary.

Y'know, since we're all so concerned about being the first and most legitimate to post a thread about the comic...

<-- Not enterprising. Possibly a jerk.

I've actually thought of doing this (don't call me a jerk yet, please), but disregarded it (pun intended) because:
  • It wouldn't be in the spirit of xkcd -- the "comic thread creation" deal is something we hold in high regard around here.
  • It would result in whomever created it getting insta-banned from the site -- see above for possible details as to why.
  • Posting an appropriate comment on the comic could only be done through editing the post. It wouldn't take long until edited OPs are banned from this sub-fora -- I'm sure/lying to myself that the mods would be able to tell the difference between a genuine edit and a "pass a Turing test" edit. Surely some sort of history is kept somewhere (possibly on Wikipedia).
  • I am not really motivated to learn how to do this - because lack of will trumps lack of skill any day

That being said, I too think someday some horse's arse will ruin all our tri-weekly fun for the sake of displaying his/her scripting skills. Yes, I realize the irony in my statement... thankfully being fey due to sleep deprivation still allows me to make yet another pun.

Self-commentary in italics.
Dangermouse wrote:I hope this doesn't mirror too much of what you've read--and btw, you should read less and do more. No one takes good pictures or runs a marathon sitting on their couch surfing the internet.


WCG xkcd team

User avatar
Eternal Density
Posts: 5551
Joined: Thu Oct 02, 2008 12:37 am UTC
Contact:

Re: "Laptop Hell" Discussion

Postby Eternal Density » Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:37 am UTC

Actually, Sony owns Hell.
http://www.megatokyo.com/strip/33
Oops, I accidentally the whole link!
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

SaintCahier
Posts: 12
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2008 8:36 am UTC

Re: "Laptop Hell" Discussion

Postby SaintCahier » Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:50 am UTC

12 inch cocks ?

Gero
Posts: 58
Joined: Fri Jan 02, 2009 1:29 pm UTC

Re: "Laptop Hell" Discussion

Postby Gero » Wed Jan 21, 2009 11:15 am UTC

SaintCahier wrote:12 inch cocks ?


That is the most vulgar comment I've ever found worthy of praise! LOL. It's referencing the previous comic and therefore quite funny. Well done.

On a side note, should we start to worry about Randal's phallic fixation recently?

User avatar
japanese_jew
Posts: 255
Joined: Mon Jul 16, 2007 3:24 am UTC

Re: "Laptop Hell" Discussion

Postby japanese_jew » Wed Jan 21, 2009 12:20 pm UTC

Excluding the one Sony my co-worked owned where the hinges broke because he pushed it back too far, I haven't had any trouble with sony computers. They're very pretty, and they tend to go higher-end than most other comparable PC distributors.

User avatar
TizzyFoe
Posts: 292
Joined: Tue Jul 24, 2007 1:57 am UTC
Location: Indiana (usa)
Contact:

Re: "Laptop Hell" Discussion

Postby TizzyFoe » Wed Jan 21, 2009 1:11 pm UTC

For the love of everything hole firefox, if i don't move the mouse don't make the alt text disappear!!!!!

(but i guess this is better then when it only displayed part of the text and i had to look in page source for the rest)
"My folks were always on me to groom myself and wear underpants. What am I, the pope?"
"But existing is basically all I do!"

User avatar
radtea
Posts: 137
Joined: Mon Mar 03, 2008 8:57 pm UTC
Contact:

Re: "Laptop Hell" Discussion

Postby radtea » Wed Jan 21, 2009 1:17 pm UTC

Um nope you didn't get the joke. THAT LAST PART was clearly the sysadmin's revenge for dropping his laptop down the stairs.


I still don't get it. How is it revenge to announce that Randall sucks cocks? Is he not any good at it? Sexual prowess is usually considered a compliment, isn't it?

my_ledge_ends
Posts: 9
Joined: Mon Dec 22, 2008 11:36 am UTC

Re: "Laptop Hell" Discussion

Postby my_ledge_ends » Wed Jan 21, 2009 1:18 pm UTC

Is it just me or does Randall *really* want a new meme to asplode like Rickrolling?

I mean, it's not like he isn't aware that his comics causes things to go crazy.

User avatar
Felstaff
Occam's Taser
Posts: 5164
Joined: Fri Feb 01, 2008 7:10 pm UTC
Location: ¢ ₪ ¿ ¶ § ∴ ® © ™ ؟ ¡ ‽ æ Þ ° ₰ ₤ ಡಢ

Re: "Laptop Hell" Discussion

Postby Felstaff » Wed Jan 21, 2009 1:27 pm UTC

The DISREGARD THAT joke/mimesis is some six years old, now. It's had it's fifteen minutes of ubiquity, and is now expected to be cemented within the collective conscience.

radtea wrote:I still don't get it. How is it revenge to announce that Randall sucks cocks? Is he not any good at it? Sexual prowess is usually considered a compliment, isn't it?
The sysadmin (davean) is implying that Randall (xkcd) is a homosexual when he is, in fact, a heterosexual, by using abusive derogatory language in the name of humour. Also, there is no indication that Randall is any good at it, so sexual prowess is neither here nor there.
Away, you scullion! you rampallion! You fustilarian! I'll tickle your catastrophe.

ISammael
Posts: 11
Joined: Fri Dec 19, 2008 3:41 pm UTC

Re: "Laptop Hell" Discussion

Postby ISammael » Wed Jan 21, 2009 1:29 pm UTC

Was that "I KNEW it!" a la Chandler from "Friends"?

Because that's the type of geek I wouldn't expect Randall to be, despite the fact that it would make him that much more diverse, and, thus, safe.

Random832
Posts: 2525
Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2007 4:38 pm UTC

Re: "Laptop Hell" Discussion

Postby Random832 » Wed Jan 21, 2009 2:46 pm UTC

ISammael wrote:Was that "I KNEW it!" a la Chandler from "Friends"?


I'm pretty sure "I knew it" is a perfectly ordinary English phrase that this 'Chandler from "Friends"' neither originated nor popularized.

User avatar
Dobblesworth
Dobblesworth, here's the title you requested over three years ago. -Banana
Posts: 1429
Joined: Wed May 30, 2007 12:06 pm UTC
Contact:

Re: "Laptop Hell" Discussion

Postby Dobblesworth » Wed Jan 21, 2009 4:46 pm UTC

I think Randall just got "facebookraped"-exceptit'snotfacebookrapedmoreratherxkcdrapedseeingasitwasn'tahijackedpostingonfacebookatall.

cmr
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2009 4:43 pm UTC

Re: "Laptop Hell" Discussion

Postby cmr » Wed Jan 21, 2009 4:48 pm UTC

"Made the Air look bulky"

CHRIST! the macbook air IS BULKY. IT'S. FUCKING. HUGE. it's just extremely thin for god only knows what reason.

when are people going to stop pretending that this thing is a netbook? it's not! it never was! it's just another big laptop, except it disappears from sight when your line of sight is perpendicular to its narrowest dimension.

User avatar
Brooklynxman
Because I'm Awesome
Posts: 609
Joined: Tue Jan 20, 2009 4:27 pm UTC
Location: Here
Contact:

Re: "Laptop Hell" Discussion

Postby Brooklynxman » Wed Jan 21, 2009 5:47 pm UTC

I think the sysadmin took down the forums a minute ago (I couldn't get in and it clearly wasn't mine or my school's networks fault <.<), and also, Im not sure, but I suspect he may have edited the alt text. The grammar seems a little off.

On a side note my laptop (at home unfortunately) is a Toshiba, and it has served me extremely well.

Who thinks friday's comic is gonna have a phallic reference. *starts taking bets*

PM for odds (but not really, I have no money to pay if i lose)
We figure out what all this means, then do something large and violent

The thing about changing the world...once you do it the world's all different.

I'm Angel. I beat the bad guys.

Spoiler:
Image

User avatar
anamnesies
Posts: 42
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 5:14 pm UTC
Location: There ->

Re: "Laptop Hell" Discussion

Postby anamnesies » Wed Jan 21, 2009 6:12 pm UTC

Greatest alt text ever.

Owned a Fujitsu lappie once. Worst piece of crap ever ownHAHA DISREGARD THAT I USE A MACBOOK

User avatar
Yuki
Posts: 6
Joined: Fri Dec 26, 2008 7:08 am UTC

Re: "Laptop Hell" Discussion

Postby Yuki » Wed Jan 21, 2009 6:17 pm UTC

Certainly the laptop would have survived the fall down the stairs if it were encased in a motorized hamster ball.

User avatar
ubergeek
Posts: 11
Joined: Thu Dec 18, 2008 10:45 pm UTC

Re: "Laptop Hell" Discussion

Postby ubergeek » Wed Jan 21, 2009 6:19 pm UTC

Actually, Sony owns Hell.
http://www.megatokyo.com/strip/33
Oops, I accidentally the whole link!


As soon as I saw this comic, I was reminded of MegaTokyo. Unfortunately, someone beat me to the post. Ah well.

At least I wasn't the only person who made that connection

golemB
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2009 5:49 pm UTC

Re: "Laptop Hell" Discussion

Postby golemB » Wed Jan 21, 2009 6:54 pm UTC

gnufs wrote:Lenovo Thinkpad X200s (or X200 for a cheaper alternative) is the new Fujitsu Q2010...


A contemporaneous ultralight subnotebook on the level of the Q2010 is the Sharp Actius PC-MM20 (see, e.g., http://www.maximumpc.com/article/Sharp-Actius-PC-MM20. It came out in 2004, and was about twice as fast as its predecessor, the MM10 (which was similar in form factor but used the older Transmeta Crusoe CPU), and it weighed in at 1.98 lbs (a whole pound lighter than a MacBook Air, and 0.2 lbs lighter than the Q2010!) and less than an inch thick! At $1300 or so, it was much more reasonable than its nearest competitors for thinnest and lightest (IBM or Sony) which were around $2000 and up.

Unfortunately, the Transmeta Efficeon is really slow, and the 20 GB 1.8 inch hard drive is indeed too small and slow to be useful for more than web browsing and basic office document processing. Still, its vibrant 10" XGA screen is gorgeously lit and well-saturated, so it makes for a good netbook.

And yes, I mention this because I have one in the living room. It runs Windows XP Home slowly. It goes decently fast on Damn Small Linux (which I have a partition for), but that's no good without wifi support or a modern browser. I'm about to try a USB bootable Xubuntu, so maybe nirvana can be achieved... Any suggestions on suitably lightweight netbook type OS distributions welcome!

Anyway, I began this post with the intention of snarkily commenting that maybe this comic was created expressly to help sell the one Q2010 currently on sale on eBay! But now it looks almost like I'm soliciting offers here, which I'm not (I love this thing and want to keep it).

User avatar
diotimajsh
Posts: 658
Joined: Wed Nov 14, 2007 7:10 am UTC
Contact:

Re: "Laptop Hell" Discussion

Postby diotimajsh » Wed Jan 21, 2009 7:38 pm UTC

Could someone explain to me why the devil turns and appears to be walking/running away in the middle of the conversation? (3rd panel)

If he's just supposed to be gesturing for conversational emphasis, I don't think his left (our right) leg should be at the angle it is. Unless he's suddenly standing on a slope in that panel and that panel alone.
Osha wrote:Foolish Patriarchy! Your feeble attempts at social pressure have no effect on my invincible awesomeness! Bwahahahaa


Blog type thing

almightyze
Posts: 72
Joined: Wed Jul 23, 2008 9:06 am UTC

Re: "Laptop Hell" Discussion

Postby almightyze » Wed Jan 21, 2009 9:33 pm UTC

Krynd wrote:It wouldn't be in the spirit of xkcd -- the "comic thread creation" deal is something we hold in high regard around here.


Are you kidding me?

Seriously, that sounds like "FIRST!!1!11!!"ing bait to me. Claiming to create THE topic of a specific comic carries as much weight as claiming to be the dude on 4chan who creates a meme. I've done it a few times, and I don't really feel special for doing so. By giving something that innocuous a degree of sacrament, you are bound to have people abusing, cheating, or subverting it. Further, it destroys the value of the actual point of the thread, placing a ridiculous and bloody 150-meter hurdle race run by fatties for "FIRST!!1!11!!" over the merits of the comic itself.

Of course, that's not why I'm writing this post.


What I was going to say was this: Why would there even be an argument over whether the failure of the selling of a product is evil (see panel 4), when the very glorification of selling products is in fact inherently evil?
01010011 01110100 01101111 01110000 00100000
01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 01101001
01101110 01100111 00100000 01100010 01101001
01101110 01100001 01110010 01111001 00101110

Allah o akbar! Azadi!

User avatar
dennisw
Posts: 441
Joined: Wed Nov 05, 2008 9:09 am UTC
Location: Appearing pro se AND pro bono!
Contact:

Re: "Laptop Hell" Discussion

Postby dennisw » Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:21 pm UTC

diotimajsh wrote:Could someone explain to me why the devil turns and appears to be walking/running away in the middle of the conversation? (3rd panel)

If he's just supposed to be gesturing for conversational emphasis, I don't think his left (our right) leg should be at the angle it is. Unless he's suddenly standing on a slope in that panel and that panel alone.

I can't believe the level of detail to which we get involved in parsing these comics!

I think the turning is a combination of being in an animated conversation (pun intended) and the body language of being repulsed by the action of the executive that he's complaining about. I think the bent leg is partly due to foreshortening where there may be a slope in the front-to-back dimension that's not present laterally and partly due to revulsion convulsion.
Try the Printifier for xkcd. You can now scale the comic between 50 and 150%.

I find these very useful: Common Errors in English Usage (web site) and Eats, Shoots & Leaves (book). You may, too.

e pluribus unum
Unleash unlicensed ungulates!

rtconner
Posts: 7
Joined: Wed Jan 30, 2008 5:49 pm UTC

Re: "Laptop Hell" Discussion

Postby rtconner » Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:27 pm UTC

so apparently there are stalactites and stalagmites in hell then.

Matsi
Posts: 76
Joined: Sun Jul 06, 2008 12:22 am UTC

Re: "Laptop Hell" Discussion

Postby Matsi » Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:40 pm UTC

rtconner wrote:so apparently there are stalactites and stalagmites in hell then.

Well, obviously they're made out of human blood and the tears of the sinners, but there are stalactites and stalagmites in hell.

pegasos989
Posts: 52
Joined: Wed Apr 16, 2008 7:14 am UTC

Re: "Laptop Hell" Discussion

Postby pegasos989 » Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:57 pm UTC

For anyone thinking that DISREGARD THA... originated in 4chan... Nope. Only a small part of all the memes used there actually originated there.

This one for example, predates 4chan by a lot. 4chan was created in 2004. According to the waybackmachine, this was submitted as a bash.org quote nearly two years earlier. It didn't necessarily originate there (though I tend to believe it did) but still.

Just a small reminder that not all of internet revolves around 4chan as some of the anonymous seem to think. ;)

User avatar
Magilla
Posts: 478
Joined: Wed Mar 19, 2008 11:28 pm UTC
Location: Esperance, Western Australia
Contact:

Re: "Laptop Hell" Discussion

Postby Magilla » Wed Jan 21, 2009 11:32 pm UTC

radtea wrote:
Um nope you didn't get the joke. THAT LAST PART was clearly the sysadmin's revenge for dropping his laptop down the stairs.


I still don't get it. How is it revenge to announce that Randall sucks cocks? Is he not any good at it? Sexual prowess is usually considered a compliment, isn't it?

The ability to suck == sexual prowess?

You are either setting the bar extremely low, or are doing it wrong...
They perceive my perambulations upon my gyroscopically-balanced personal transportation device, and have thus concluded that I am of Caucasian decent, and, while intelligent, I am also somewhat socially inept. - Peculiar Alfred

User avatar
linguistic
Posts: 84
Joined: Mon Jun 23, 2008 6:16 am UTC

Re: "Laptop Hell" Discussion

Postby linguistic » Wed Jan 21, 2009 11:56 pm UTC

almightyze wrote:Are you kidding me?

Seriously, that sounds like "FIRST!!1!11!!"ing bait to me. Claiming to ...[completely uncalled for insightful comments]... over the merits of the comic itself.


I suspect when he says "high regard", he means "is taken seriously" - with regard to the format and style of the "FRIST!!!11!" post, and particularly with regard to the content of the commentary in said post - which is usually the area most lacking, due to the author rushing to be "FRIST!!!111!".

Creating the topic is the xkcd equivalent of "first" posts - it's just dressed up prettier and is actually necessary to facilitate the rest of the thread.

(okay, it's "first" with rules)

But there is still some bizarre high value attributed to being the "legitimate" first thread for a comic - with little value attributed to actually having something to say.

I'm generalising, but I don't really care what any of you say, since you all suck cocks.

Back on meta-topic:
You could actually auto-generate some pretty funny first threads, along the line of google ads.

The topic for Piano for example might (using fuzzy logic and some semantic matching) come out with "Practice makes perfect - ENLARGE YOUR PIANIST NOW!".

Of course, it's far more likely to come out with something entirely nonsensical, but at least that wouldn't break with tradition around here.

I guess what I'm advocating is a script that runs on the forums and generates a single, perfect thread every time (without a comment) for people to post in.
It removes all the "Oh me yarm! MY TEHRED WAS LIEK 10 SECONDS EARILIER!" arguments, along with people whining about how it's "title text, not alt text you douche!" (it is title text, not alt text. But I'm not convinced of douche status) - and means that casual users can just jump in and type their Goddamn comment without having to wonder which thread to pick, or how to create one without being flamed for not linking with the image or whatever.

I don't particularly care, but as an admin on another forum, I'd honestly prefer to have this stuff automated than have to moderate the damn thing all the time.
Son of a bit!

User avatar
diotimajsh
Posts: 658
Joined: Wed Nov 14, 2007 7:10 am UTC
Contact:

Re: "Laptop Hell" Discussion

Postby diotimajsh » Thu Jan 22, 2009 1:04 am UTC

dennisw wrote:I can't believe the level of detail to which we get involved in parsing these comics!
Hehe, well, it honestly did confuse me when I read through it the first time, so I assumed it's relevant. Probably not.

Appreciate your proposed explanation, anywho. =P
Osha wrote:Foolish Patriarchy! Your feeble attempts at social pressure have no effect on my invincible awesomeness! Bwahahahaa


Blog type thing

User avatar
ConMan
Shepherd's Pie?
Posts: 1670
Joined: Tue Jan 01, 2008 11:56 am UTC
Location: Beacon Alpha

Re: "Laptop Hell" Discussion

Postby ConMan » Thu Jan 22, 2009 1:16 am UTC

Felstaff wrote:The DISREGARD THAT joke/mimesis is some six years old, now. It's had it's fifteen minutes of ubiquity, and is now expected to be cemented within the collective conscience.

radtea wrote:I still don't get it. How is it revenge to announce that Randall sucks cocks? Is he not any good at it? Sexual prowess is usually considered a compliment, isn't it?
The sysadmin (davean) is implying that Randall (xkcd) is a homosexual when he is, in fact, a heterosexual, by using abusive derogatory language in the name of humour. Also, there is no indication that Randall is any good at it, so sexual prowess is neither here nor there.

You've been ghostwriting for Ryan North's Jokes Explained, haven't you?

I'm fairly sure the line did originate from the bash submission, but mainly because that's where I originally saw it and it's about as early a reference as I can find to it.

cephalopod9 wrote:But I think he's just a geek.
Spoiler:
geek (gēk) Pronunciation Key
n.
A carnival performer whose show consists of bizarre acts, such as biting the head off a live chicken.

cock1   /kɒk
–noun 1. a male chicken; rooster.

SaintCahier wrote:12 inch cocks ?

I think these have to be two of the best responses to this comic, and it's impressive how they manage to tackle the issue from two diametrically opposed positions.
pollywog wrote:
Wikihow wrote:* Smile a lot! Give a gay girl a knowing "Hey, I'm a lesbian too!" smile.
I want to learn this smile, perfect it, and then go around smiling at lesbians and freaking them out.

soccerray
Posts: 24
Joined: Wed Oct 24, 2007 8:18 pm UTC

Re: "Laptop Hell" Discussion

Postby soccerray » Thu Jan 22, 2009 1:25 am UTC

almightyze wrote:
Krynd wrote:It wouldn't be in the spirit of xkcd -- the "comic thread creation" deal is something we hold in high regard around here.


Are you kidding me?

Seriously, that sounds like "FIRST!!1!11!!"ing bait to me. Claiming to create THE topic of a specific comic carries as much weight as claiming to be the dude on 4chan who creates a meme. I've done it a few times, and I don't really feel special for doing so. By giving something that innocuous a degree of sacrament, you are bound to have people abusing, cheating, or subverting it. Further, it destroys the value of the actual point of the thread, placing a ridiculous and bloody 150-meter hurdle race run by fatties for "FIRST!!1!11!!" over the merits of the comic itself.

Of course, that's not why I'm writing this post.


What I was going to say was this: Why would there even be an argument over whether the failure of the selling of a product is evil (see panel 4), when the very glorification of selling products is in fact inherently evil?

Yeah, I've created a few memes too. It's nothing, really. On topic, I don't think you've set up a fair analogy. Failure to sell and glorification of sale aren't related such that one's evil implies the other's purity. Granting your stipulation, an argument could easily arise due to differences in economic/political opinion.

almightyze
Posts: 72
Joined: Wed Jul 23, 2008 9:06 am UTC

Re: "Laptop Hell" Discussion

Postby almightyze » Thu Jan 22, 2009 1:33 am UTC

linguistic wrote:
almightyze wrote:Are you kidding me?

Seriously, that sounds like "FIRST!!1!11!!"ing bait to me. Claiming to ...[completely uncalled for insightful comments]... over the merits of the comic itself.


I suspect when he says "high regard", he means "is taken seriously" - with regard to the format and style of the "FRIST!!!11!" post, and particularly with regard to the content of the commentary in said post - which is usually the area most lacking, due to the author rushing to be "FRIST!!!111!".

Creating the topic is the xkcd equivalent of "first" posts - it's just dressed up prettier and is actually necessary to facilitate the rest of the thread.

(okay, it's "first" with rules)

But there is still some bizarre high value attributed to being the "legitimate" first thread for a comic - with little value attributed to actually having something to say.

I'm generalising, but I don't really care what any of you say, since you all suck cocks.

Back on meta-topic:
You could actually auto-generate some pretty funny first threads, along the line of google ads.

The topic for Piano for example might (using fuzzy logic and some semantic matching) come out with "Practice makes perfect - ENLARGE YOUR PIANIST NOW!".

Of course, it's far more likely to come out with something entirely nonsensical, but at least that wouldn't break with tradition around here.

I guess what I'm advocating is a script that runs on the forums and generates a single, perfect thread every time (without a comment) for people to post in.
It removes all the "Oh me yarm! MY TEHRED WAS LIEK 10 SECONDS EARILIER!" arguments, along with people whining about how it's "title text, not alt text you douche!" (it is title text, not alt text. But I'm not convinced of douche status) - and means that casual users can just jump in and type their Goddamn comment without having to wonder which thread to pick, or how to create one without being flamed for not linking with the image or whatever.

I don't particularly care, but as an admin on another forum, I'd honestly prefer to have this stuff automated than have to moderate the damn thing all the time.


What's funny is that I was agreeing with you writing what I wrote. I find that something as simple as this necessitates a mod using a script to post (and furthermore, disabling topic creation at the user level in this forum). Basically, everyone kinda follows a script anyway. Further, I can theoretically abuse the system by posting something irrelevant...or even something relevant about the comic (since there is no general comic forum...kinda odd, really), but not about a strip in particular.

Then again, it's hard to tell if you were agreeing with me or disagreeing with me. Oh well. :P

soccerray wrote:On topic, I don't think you've set up a fair analogy. Failure to sell and glorification of sale aren't related such that one's evil implies the other's purity. Granting your stipulation, an argument could easily arise due to differences in economic/political opinion.


...Maybe. :roll:
01010011 01110100 01101111 01110000 00100000
01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 01101001
01101110 01100111 00100000 01100010 01101001
01101110 01100001 01110010 01111001 00101110

Allah o akbar! Azadi!

User avatar
linguistic
Posts: 84
Joined: Mon Jun 23, 2008 6:16 am UTC

Re: "Laptop Hell" Discussion

Postby linguistic » Thu Jan 22, 2009 2:51 am UTC

almightyze wrote:Then again, it's hard to tell if you were agreeing with me or disagreeing with me. Oh well. :P


That's generally what I shoot for. I find confusion delightful - outright trollbaiting or flaming just doesn't compare.

But yeh, we're on the same page - it'd be a good idea to set this forum up as you describe and have a script-discuss-o-mat create new threads automagically for the hungry masses.

Bonus round:

I've managed to not discuss anything actually on-topic out of 3 or so posts, while SUCKING COCKS
Son of a bit!

User avatar
Felstaff
Occam's Taser
Posts: 5164
Joined: Fri Feb 01, 2008 7:10 pm UTC
Location: ¢ ₪ ¿ ¶ § ∴ ® © ™ ؟ ¡ ‽ æ Þ ° ₰ ₤ ಡಢ

Re: "Laptop Hell" Discussion

Postby Felstaff » Thu Jan 22, 2009 9:15 am UTC

krynd wrote:
  • It wouldn't be in the spirit of xkcd -- the "comic thread creation" deal is something we hold in high regard around here.

No it's not! It's a pain in the arse! Stop with the competitive thread-starting! It usually means that there are 2 threads started in the same minute, and then 10-15 posts in each one discussing who deserves to be first, followed by the most inane comments ("oh well, at least I'm fourth!"). Bah!

And I'm cancelling Christmas.
Away, you scullion! you rampallion! You fustilarian! I'll tickle your catastrophe.

Random832
Posts: 2525
Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2007 4:38 pm UTC

Re: "Laptop Hell" Discussion

Postby Random832 » Thu Jan 22, 2009 2:07 pm UTC

linguistic wrote:
almightyze wrote:Then again, it's hard to tell if you were agreeing with me or disagreeing with me. Oh well. :P


That's generally what I shoot for. I find confusion delightful - outright trollbaiting or flaming just doesn't compare.

But yeh, we're on the same page - it'd be a good idea to set this forum up as you describe and have a script-discuss-o-mat create new threads automagically for the hungry masses.


Last time it was suggested, davean said that if someone writes it for him he'll consider putting it on the site... which kind of sucks because, you know, the scripts that would have to be modified haven't been released as open-source (or if they're using open-source stuff they haven't disclosed what it is)

Felstaff wrote:Stop with the competitive thread-starting! It usually means that there are 2 threads started in the same minute, and then 10-15 posts in each one discussing who deserves to be first, followed by the most inane comments ("oh well, at least I'm fourth!"). Bah!


It's Saladin's fault; he's the one who changed the rule from "threads without actual discussion will be deleted" to "first post wins".

User avatar
radtea
Posts: 137
Joined: Mon Mar 03, 2008 8:57 pm UTC
Contact:

Re: "Laptop Hell" Discussion

Postby radtea » Thu Jan 22, 2009 3:11 pm UTC

Felstaff wrote:
The sysadmin (davean) is implying that Randall (xkcd) is a homosexual when he is, in fact, a heterosexual, by using abusive derogatory language in the name of humour.


Still not getting it. What is abusive or derogatory about saying someone sucks cocks? Or misidentifying their sexual orientation?

I know that in certain primitive cultures and in various backward countries there are bizarre social restrictions on a wide variety of sexual practises, but this is XKCD, right?

Surely the average member of XKCD's audience, even in one of those backward countries, is above following primitive cultural mores like a herd of adolescent sheep.
Coming on Midsummer's Day to a Web Browser Near You: http://www.songsofalbion.com

tahrey
Posts: 94
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2008 9:48 am UTC

Re: "Laptop Hell" Discussion

Postby tahrey » Thu Jan 22, 2009 3:34 pm UTC

Darn it, ED... I was so secure in my belief that DTISC was a *chanvention. Oh well. There's many other things that have come from IRC that the Kidz probably don't know about because all they've ever used is the WWW, thinking it's the whole of the internets rather than just one of many, so I shouldn't be surprised.

I think the point of Satan being pissed at the Q line being dropped is that they COULD have made it with 2+Gb, an Atom and an SSD this time round if they'd kept the flame burning. The original one was probably at the pre-Air cutting edge of how much tech you could squeeze into a really small laptop (and therefore "the best in the world" if you needed something compact, light, and relatively capable with a long battery life to tote around), so fastforward to now, and it would be excellent. It's not that they NEEDED laptops, but they still do NEED them.

Their Sony deal doesn't surprise me in the slightest however. You want HOW MUCH for that Vaio? High quality materials or otherwise, just... No. And I bet it'll come with a Memory Stick slot instead of SDHC.
(Longtime user of their other, AV-focussed products, until they finally pissed me off a step too far. Though I do still have one of their phones; it is however a free hand-me-down, and is one half Ericcson (who made damn fine mobiles by themselves back in the day) as well as one half Sony. I like to think the Sony part is the one that doesn't work properly and screws up the audio output/photo taking/battery alarm/user input/signal reception/java code at exactly the wrong moment for no easily apparent reason, and the Ericcson bit is the core part that just works and is otherwise pretty awesome. I may yet buy one of their stereos soon, as they're about the last brand making half-decent micro-systems that still have tape decks. I needz mah tape...).

My laptop: an HP convertible-tablet. It's pretty rugged, and overall I've been much pleased with it over the last near-3 years, not even missing having instant access to optical media (USB, instead) or stereo speakers (ff, just use headphones). Do wonder if one of the miscellaneous bounces off the floor it's suffered may have caused it's current charging problem (working, but slow and intermittent) that I need to try and get a warranty claim on ASAP. Also pretty slim and light - it too will fit in a Manila envelope (too bad HP never thought to market that somewhat silly point; I've always found the "plan" dimensions of a laptop more limiting than it's thickness - I was upgrading from an ancient, maxed-out, dying-battery Acer 350NL (the last decent machine that company made, so far as I can tell) which was about the same size but 2-3x thicker, and it caused no mobility problems for me commuting on a cramped train with a small backpack...) and it takes a couple hours of cradling it before your arm starts to ache - and has a good battery life. And would have cost probably the equivalent of $1500 in early 2006, with a 1.73 Pentium-M, 512mb, and a 40gb disc (a capacity, and of a speed, that could easily have been matched by 1.8" drives I'd seen offered for sale by my favourite online parts suppliers at the time, when i tried for (& failed at) an upgrade of my off-brand HDD MP3 player). An even thinner, lighter one, with optical drive no less, being worth $2000 at a similar spec doesn't seem out of line to me.

tahrey
Posts: 94
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2008 9:48 am UTC

Re: "Laptop Hell" Discussion

Postby tahrey » Thu Jan 22, 2009 3:38 pm UTC

radtea: because the internet is still deathly afraid of catching TEH GAYE, and it's a common cliche/in joke/what have you for the Kids Of The Interweb to act up to this stereotype regardless of their actual belief or even orientation. Also, the implication is that you either have a burning, sluttish hunger for man sausage in your mouth, or have sunk so low that the only way you can support yourself is by fellacious prostituion.

Also it's one of those ad hominem interjection thi---DISREGARD THAT I SUCK CO---WHERE IS SARAH CON---C-C-C-C-COMBO BREA---/0... O SHI---

User avatar
Felstaff
Occam's Taser
Posts: 5164
Joined: Fri Feb 01, 2008 7:10 pm UTC
Location: ¢ ₪ ¿ ¶ § ∴ ® © ™ ؟ ¡ ‽ æ Þ ° ₰ ₤ ಡಢ

Re: "Laptop Hell" Discussion

Postby Felstaff » Thu Jan 22, 2009 3:40 pm UTC

radtea wrote:Felstaff wrote:
The sysadmin (davean) is implying that Randall (xkcd) is a homosexual when he is, in fact, a heterosexual, by using abusive derogatory language in the name of humour.


Still not getting it. What is abusive or derogatory about saying someone sucks cocks? Or misidentifying their sexual orientation?

I know that in certain primitive cultures and in various backward countries there are bizarre social restrictions on a wide variety of sexual practises, but this is XKCD, right?

Surely the average member of XKCD's audience, even in one of those backward countries, is above following primitive cultural mores like a herd of adolescent sheep.

You are aware of people using sexual orientation as an insult in order to derive humour, right? And that just because 'this is xkcd' it doesn't mean we are somehow unaware of humour associated with homophobia? Because I find the thought of anyone unaware of this to be pretty gay.

Also: my diatribe on "primitive cultures/backward countries" can be boiled down thus far: don't be a pompous ass. One should never assume that 'normal' means 'according to my own particular standards' simply because you've set yourself in a position of implied superiority.

(This is a general comment on the nature of implying incivility to cultures outside one's own. Usually applied to people who describe the third world as the third world.)
Away, you scullion! you rampallion! You fustilarian! I'll tickle your catastrophe.

User avatar
Clintonio
Posts: 7
Joined: Sat Aug 02, 2008 9:02 pm UTC

Re: "Laptop Hell" Discussion

Postby Clintonio » Thu Jan 22, 2009 5:31 pm UTC

"DISREGARD THAT I SUCK COCKS" is origionated from 4Chan and the fact that people can post with the same name as any other user (providing they don't have a tripcode). It's not a Bash origionated quote.

Excellent comic though, the alt-text was the defining part.


Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Mikeski and 24 guests