Bloodline Dwarf Fortress #2: OOTD's or InstinctSage's turn.

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Vieto

Bloodline Dwarf Fortress #2: OOTD's or InstinctSage's turn.

Postby Vieto » Sun Jan 25, 2009 5:23 am UTC

Turns

1. Vieto -finished-
2. yuri2356 -skipped-
3. OOTD -finished-
4. InstinctSage -finished-
5. Phen -finished-
6. SecondTalon -finished-
7. Kipper -finished-
8. Superglucose - skipped
9. aireoth -skipped
10 Bhelliom - finished
12. Vieto - skipped
13. yuri2356 - Out?
14. OOTD - No Word?
15. InstinctSage
16. Phen
17. SecondTalon
18. Kipper
19. Superglucose
20. aireoth
21. Bhelliom

(Do you want me to start a second Bloodline topic if I start a second bloodline?)

I've been doing some searching, and I've found 3 fairly good areas:

1. A 5x3 area with an untamed wilds forest with sand, sedimentary, and flux, north of a terrifying mountain with sed, flux, adamant, and an underground river. -No magma, unfortunately. Also, temperate, but no obvious external water sources.

2. a 5x3 area with sand, flux, and both sedimentary and igneous-extrusive rock in the middle of a terrifying woods/'marsh'.
-no obvious water sources, and it's hot.

3. 4x4 area with sand, limestone, (very little) obsidan, magma, and a brook. Terrifying woodland/hot.

or are people no longer interested in doing a bloodine?

The Version to Use, as it's been Modded.
Last edited by Vieto on Sat Apr 25, 2009 12:43 am UTC, edited 15 times in total.

oneofthedragon
Modfather

Re: Bloodline Dwarf Fortress game

Postby oneofthedragon » Sun Jan 25, 2009 6:18 am UTC

I would be up for a bloodline game, however I would recommend finding a site with a brook for the overall ease for all.

I've never done one before, but from what I understand, you just zip up the folder with the region.
sje46: tell them to shove plungers into their anuses
sje46: make clear that that was only for OOTD

Kells: OOTD, I am giving you my death stare
Kells: Just so you know

Christmas: OOTD I will burn your village and make slaves of your children

Jesse
Vocal Terrorist

Postby Jesse » Sun Jan 25, 2009 10:48 am UTC

Someone start this! I love reading what y'all are doing and I'm dying of bloodline withdrawal.

InstinctSage

Postby InstinctSage » Sun Jan 25, 2009 1:00 pm UTC

I normally go for magma pipe and river in woodland. Mountains aren't even necessary since you can easily set up a simple above ground fort entrance, and you'll definitely get soil for farming this way. So area 3 would be my best bet out of those.

Though I also normally go for 3x3 since my laptop isn't really top notch. :P
Within a few weeks I'll have a brand spanking new PC though, so that shouldn't be an issue.
nightlina wrote:We get stick insects here.. they're pretty cool and stick-like.

Vieto

Postby Vieto » Sun Jan 25, 2009 1:46 pm UTC

so, area 3? or would you rather I generate another world to find more. Also, because it is a brook, there will no carp :D

also, kindof a newbish question, but how do you zip files (I've simply never have had to do it before)

edit: so basically, I'm looking for this at the minimum:

-brook
-magma
-trees

in any case, If we do this, we still need a name (which, if no suggestions come up, I'll randomize a few times until something good shows up) and an initial set-up.

I would suggest: 2 minors, a mason, 1 wood-cutter/carpenter, 2 farmers, and a weaver/clothier (because cloths are so much better than crafts).

InstinctSage

Postby InstinctSage » Sun Jan 25, 2009 4:46 pm UTC

Yeah, I just got into clothing as a trade good over rock crafts, and it is way better indeed.
I pretty much always ditch the picks and axes and bring ores and other necessities to smelt picks and axes first up now, and take 3 miners. The money saved is mostly on the axes, which can be made of iron instead of steel (iron bar + coal can be had for 60 vs 300 for steel axe), and spend on a crapload more seeds to get crops going on 5x5 plots quicker.

Knowing I have a magma smelter on the map means I can rush down to it to prepare for more tool/weaponmaking. I haven't gotten the hang of steel production yet, though. I'm trying that out at the moment.

Vieto

Postby Vieto » Sun Jan 25, 2009 6:35 pm UTC

my only limitation for magma is bauxite. I can never seem to get enough of it.

Any ideas on how to make a fully-functional + expandable magma-forge operation w/o bauxite?

edit: the magma on map 3 is likely underground, so it likely won't be found in the first year.

edit2: I've found an even better spot, containing mountains, a brook, magma, sand, sedimentary, flux, igneous, woodland, temperate, both terrifying and untamed wilds, pretty much everything good but no adamant or underground rivers. It's also just south of an Elf village.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Sun Jan 25, 2009 7:34 pm UTC

...why do you need Bauxite for a forge? The *only* reason Bauxite is useful is as mechanisms, which have to be made of rock, and only Bauxite or Raw Adamantine are magma-safe.

And that's only if you're building some kind of magma floodgate system that you even need to worry about it.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Vieto

Postby Vieto » Sun Jan 25, 2009 7:45 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:And that's only if you're building some kind of magma floodgate system that you even need to worry about it.

I'm kind-of a floodgate-system addict.

oneofthedragon
Modfather

Postby oneofthedragon » Sun Jan 25, 2009 11:04 pm UTC

I generally only make water floodgate systems. Fewer !!Dwarves!! that way.

Anyway, with my magma forges, I generally just channel some water from whatever source I have, and make an obsidian wall between the magma source, and the channel I have to my forges. Keeps my blacksmiths safe from magma beasties, and I don't need to worry about temperature.

And for ziping.

On windows

right click
send to
zipped folder

Linux
There's a tool for it, read the manual for the command, or use something with a gui.

mac
no idea.

Vieto

Postby Vieto » Sun Jan 25, 2009 11:16 pm UTC

ok, sounds good.

I'll begin the fortress at the improved site I found in an hour. If anyone had any suggestions for a name, post them. Otherwise, I'll either randomise the name, or keep “Blackhelm, the Cunning Brains of Man” or something (Def. that as our group name).

edit: I may need to find a way to incorperate the metalsmith after-all, as the new area has a possibility of open-magma.

edit: also, you may want to sign up:

1. Vieto

Yuri2356

Postby Yuri2356 » Mon Jan 26, 2009 3:52 am UTC

I suppose I'll get in on this again.

oneofthedragon
Modfather

Postby oneofthedragon » Mon Jan 26, 2009 4:17 am UTC

1. Vieto
2. yuri2356
3. OOTD

InstinctSage

Postby InstinctSage » Mon Jan 26, 2009 6:06 am UTC

1. Vieto
2. yuri2356
3. OOTD
4. InstinctSage

I dig the magma channel and put a floodgate in a channel for the proposed expansion area, attached to a lever in the control room. The floodgate doesn't die until you open it, so you can actually prevent the magma flowing into your expansion zone this way. Once you're ready to expand, dig out the expansion, put in a new floodgate for future expansion, then PULL THE LEVER! Floodgate dies and now it's all on the one system.

To prevent nasties jumping out of the channel, I only dig out the floor tiles where the impassable blocks of the forge/smelter are going to be, so there's no passable tile between the channel below and the forge room above.

Vieto

Postby Vieto » Mon Jan 26, 2009 3:38 pm UTC

Ok, I'm done. I just need to know how to get those big multi-layer images that you can use to view the fortress, or how to get a big fortress-view image.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Mon Jan 26, 2009 4:07 pm UTC

1. Vieto
2. yuri2356
3. OOTD
4. InstinctSage
5. SecondTalon

If you hit escape, you should be able to Export Local Images. This will export things of interest. If you have a 10 deep shaft that's nothing but a 3x3 staircase, for example, and nothing else revealed on those layers, it will usually skip them.

Assuming that's what you're talking about.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Vieto

Postby Vieto » Mon Jan 26, 2009 4:21 pm UTC

not exactly, but that will suffice. I'll post everything after my exam.

also, there are a lot of half-finished projects. My masons are very slow. (IMO)

Vieto

Postby Vieto » Mon Jan 26, 2009 8:35 pm UTC

Ok, here it is: Enjoy.

Powerdragon the valley of fire: 201 - Vieto
Spoiler:
20th Obsidian: the King summoned me to his throne today. As the most able man, the king feels that I am suited to lead a small group of dwarves to settle in a new city. Apparently, I am to join a small group of Dwarves, named after a historical group named ‘Darkhelm, the Cunning brains of Man’. I hope this becomes an opportunity for me to use to get ahead. I’m getting bored of my life in the mountain homes anyway, so I’m hoping for a better life.

24th Obsidian: I met with my new fort-mates today. They seem like a nice enough group of Dwarves, but most of them appear to be nervous wrecks, including our leader, Zasit Dallithkol. I’m the designated woodcutter and carpenter, but I’m told that, for weight purposes, that I can’t brink my axe! I almost went into a fit, but Zasit told me that we would make an axe on-site. Iron axes aren’t as pretty as steel ones, but I can live with it for a little while, I guess.

31st Obsidian: We have departed from the mountain homes to a destination deep in Elvin territory. With us, we have brought many seeds and food, as well as drink, to last us.

1st Granite: We have arrived. I jump out of the wagon, and take a look around. The first think I notice is the astounding view. The valley is lush, with a nice carp-free brook to get water from, lined with sand and bauxite. There are many trees, which I will have to cut down to annoy the nearby elves and to build our beds, just as soon as Logem, our Metalsmith, smiths me an axe. I’ve yet to see any undead Unicorns, given the evil/good nature of the land, though. I guess it’s for the better.

Next, I see the Iron, coal, and mineral-rich chalk walls. Just at a glance, I see magnetite, limonite, and, oh boy, a magma-tube with an overhang! There are so many good places, I wasn’t sure where we would begin. The nervous Zasit wanted to go away from the magma, but I managed to convince him otherwise so, we headed towards the magma pipe. On the way over, we debated about a name for the place. We joked about calling the place ‘the valley of fire’, then someone mentioned dragons, and how fear-driving they are, so we ended up naming the place Midormamgoz Olil Ziril, or Powerdragon the valley of fire, for those who don’t speak dwarven. I don’t see why anyone wouldn’t speak dwarven, though.

3rd Granite: Well, we’ve arrived at the hill, but I’m afraid we have worse problems than originally thought: Zombie Eagles. To make matters worse, Logem can’t find his anvil, and there are reports of an imp near the surface of the magma tube. Oh, Armok help us!

7th Granite: Anvil found. Also, the imp has gone deeper again, to find more imps no doubt. Also, the Eagle is on the other side of the valley. Zasit appears to be in a sigh of relief that we chose the side we did. Personally, I want my axe finished really quickly.

9th Granite: I’ve been getting bored, so I started making some buckets and beds out of what is left of our wagon. Our mason, Monom, has been busy walling up the magma tube, to prevent the potentially disastrous attacks a fire-imp could unleash. I would hate to have to clean up after any forest fires. Zasit and Zon have been carving out the main hallway, and are approaching what they say will be the grand staircase. I hope they know what they are doing, because I sure don’t. Monom says that Zasit designs these places for a living. In this case, I definitely agree.

10th granite: apparently, there is chrysoprase in that mountain. I can’t wait until we have a jeweler.

11th Granite: I have my new… Iron axe! I think I’ll give it a test run on some nearby trees.

19th Granite: finally! I can sleep in a bed! The barracks have finally been dug out, and the archery range will be done shortly… for any archers we happen to get.

21st Granite: The door to the magma-pit has been locked. I have asked everyone to tell me if, for some reason, the door goes red hot. I’ve begun cutting down more trees.

22nd Granite: Monom finished the archery range. I joked about letting it fill with cobwebs but he looked confused, saying that there weren’t any cobwebs outside of chasms.

24th Granite: Sazir was peeping into the magma tube, and he shouted “IMP!” I thanked Armok that the imp hadn’t shown up earlier, then I readied my axe in case the imp tried to escape.

25th Granite: it’s gone. Phew. Back to tree chopping. Also, I think that, even though Zasit is the official expediton leader, I’ve pretty much taken charge. Even Zasit admits it.

1st Slate: out trade Depot has been built near the entrance. A landmark for our first month. Yet, still no farms!

9th Slate: I take my no-farm comment back. We now officially have farms. One of them is already designated for pigtails… for when summer arrives. Until then, it’s just for plump helmets.

23rd Slate: nothing interesting other than the fact that the walls and the workshop areas are beginning to be built/dug out. Shouldn’t take too long. The farmer has been working on turning those seeds we have into plump helmets, while I’ve been cutting wood.

10th Felsite: Well, we have a brewery up-and-running, and I think I may have gotten ahead of myself with the mining designations. Oh well.

19th Felsite: I had just finished cutting down another tree, when, across the river, I saw the undead giant eagle swoop down and pick up a poor marmot. Not a very pleasant sight. I hope we can get the clothing stations set up by summer.

20th Felsite: Zon ran out of the mines shouting that he had found Gypsum. I asked Zon what it was good for, and he pondered a bit before saying he wasn’t sure. I told him he was needed back in the mines, then I let Monom use the gypsum for his stone stuff.

24th Felsite: Monom ran to me, shouting something about undead Hoary Marmots. I’ve only seen the living kind around here, so I guess I better keep my wits about for when this marmot comes down here.

… Or not. Zazit is also getting scared, so I’m going up there.

25th Felsite: My axe has its first bloodstain on it. Not sure how undead marmots bleed though. Who knows, maybe an epic poem, or an engraving, will be of me Axing an undead Marmot.

1st Hematite: It’s summer. I went down to the farming level, to find Zasot and Zon were still working on the clothing rooms. I hope they hurry up. This is for the caravan, after all.

21st Hematite: I was checking on the miners. Apparently, they are digging out the dining room.

24th Hematite: I guess the magma-pipe was more dangerous than previously thought. Another Imp has spawned. That makes 5 now.

11th Malachite: No migrants have arrived yet. That might have been different, had my dwarves been working. Also, the first Pigtail is being harvested.

25th Malachite: Logem, the metalsmith, has been assigned the task of making some steel. Shouldn’t take too long.

27th Malachite: I must say, there is a lot of gems near our fort entrance. Zon found some Onyx opals.

12th Galena: I’ve been clearing out the place where the magma goes, but I’ve come upon a ‘problem’, Galena. Zasut told me he intended to dig out the Galena a little, enough to get walls in, then dig out the Galena from outside of the magma compound. I approved.

15th Galena: Monom tells me that our new dining hall is operational. Excellent! Now I can eat my meals properly. It’s not really neat and shiny yet, but…

20th Galena: I heard Logem shout “Monkeys!” While I was getting a drink. I sighed, picked up my axe, and I’m on my way out. From What I’ve been told, it’s 7 Rhesus Macaques. At least they aren’t undead.

24th Galena: I’ve had my fill of Macaques for this month. They really didn’t stand any chance against my battle-axe. I’m heading down to the recently finished clothing rooms to help out the weaver get some cloths ready for the caravan.

4th Limestone: It’s the beginning of fall. And my dog population has almost doubled with the advent of puppies! I’m hoping for an animal trainer in the fall who can teach these dogs how to fight. That would be useful.

8th Limestone: I had a dream of Goblins and elves storming our fort last night. When I woke up, I saw most of the fort undefended and the walls were not built yet. I sternly faced the mason until he woke up, then told him to do double-time.

11th Limestone: The caravan has arrived. Unfortunately, I only have 4 robes available to sell. I hope they sell for a lot.

Also: more puppies!!! Like, 5 more!

21st Limestone: not much will likely be bought this caravan, due to the small variety we have. I hope the clothing industry gets more active before the next caravan, where we will meet the elves. We have sold some robes, but we have made 5 times as much clothing in the past 10 days than in the past 3 months.

2nd Sandstone: Our last-minute industry has managed to get us a new axe, a horse, a dog, meat, seeds, and a rope.

3rd Sandstone: Imp!!! Will the locked door hold? I don’t know. I have my axe ready. I must admit.

Zasit is a good negotiator. His skills here got us out of this tough spot with the Caravan.

11th Sandstone: The Caravan left, which is ok, as Zasit seamed exhausted from trading. I gave him the day off. Also, the imp is gone. I guess locking doors is a very effective anti-imp measure.

13th Sandstone: The Zombie Mountain goats attacked. Fortunately, they were no match for a caravan, I barely hat time to reach my axe.

14th Sandstone: Zon struck Bauxite while digging out a cage room. I have currently banned its use as a construction material, although I’m sure it will be eventually used for Magma manipulation, or some sort of trap.

21st Sandstone: Migrants have arrived! I did a headcount as they came in. 8 in total. There was a wood-worker, a stone-worker, an animal care-taker, a craftsdwarf, a fisherdwarf, a fish dissector, and 2 peasants. I quickly put them to work.

Also, I have fallen in love with the fair Sazir Okangcog. I will write her some poetry, about axes, and trees, and undead Marmots… maybe I went a bit far that time. But I will write… just not in here. I hope my beard is long enough.

3rd Timber: Being caught up in my love life, I have less time to manage the fortress. Basically, I’m finishing the wall, making only one entrance to the fortress, and I’m having my room dug out. Also, the metalsmith wants more iron, so we are digging in the magma-cap for some.

14th Timber: A thief tried to sneak in. It was no match for my war-dogs!

16th Timber: I have given the order to open up the magma. In short order, I will have the capability to utilise the magma in forges.

20th Timber: We have dug to sand. Given enough bags, this can potentially be used to drive a glass industry.

25th Timber: I had almost forgotten to put in a filter to prevent imps from entering the magma forges room. I’m arranging it to be fixed.

4th moonstone: the first attempt at channelling the magma was a miss. I’m asking the miners to have another go at it.

8th moonstone: the second attempt was successful. I just hope floors are put in before any imps jump out.

15th Moonstone: Another zombie mountain goat has arrived. I’ll make short work of it.

17th Moonstone: Is it me, or are there more zombie mountain goats?

20th Moonstone: problem solved. I just hope there aren’t anymore zombie mountain goats before the walls are up.

26th Moonstone: Rhesus Macaques. This month must be wildlife awareness month. I’ve heard that the Elves can speak to the animals. This could be a bad omen for what is to come. Nevertheless, they will be no match for my newly forged steel axe, courtesy of Logem, of course. I’m having Sakzul work at the woodworking station while I take down a few monkeys.

27th Moonstone: Two of the monkeys are swarming muthkat, who is trying to defend himself. I hope I can reach him in time.

1st Opal: After a particularly gory massacre, I think I rather like my job.

2nd Opal: I went outside to drink some water, to find the water frozen solid. I miss the mountain homes, the water never froze.

10th opal: While digging out the sunroof for my room, the cavern collapsed, stunning Zon. He is stunned, but otherwise fine. Thank Armok!

17th Opal: My rooms have been dug out. I’m letting the miners go and do other things.

4th Obsidian: I just got my skates on, and sure enough the snow has all melted. That was a short winter…

21st obsidian: there are rumours that I am going to step down from my leadership role soon. So be it. There is a mad scramble to get everything done going on.

1st Granite: As of Dwarven tradition, I have tapped a young lad’s shoulder and given him a signed note to indicate the change of the guard. On the note, I have the following to-do list of things that I have not yet finished:

-Finish building the protective wall
-move workshops inside
-roof, smooth, engrave, and furnish my (Vieto’s) rooms. The top-left is the bed room, the top-right is the dining room, and the bottom-right is the study. I’d like 2 statues in each room. Think of it as housing for 2.
-housing the other dwarves
-finishing the farms
-getting clothing/forging industries underway.
I’m putting my nomination in as Sheriff. I think I should have no trouble keeping law and order, and I’ve joined the military to defend from any possible Zombies or Macaques. Maybe I could split some Goblin skull later. I’ve also left a few diagrams.

Now off I go. I need to spend more time with Sazir, and this leadership stuff wasn’t cutting it (If you excuse the Axe-dwarf’s pun). I intend to propose once my room is finished.

also, does anyone mind me starting up the wiki page for this?

Save: http://www.2shared.com/file/4731442/b0d53acd/region9.html

Jebobek

Postby Jebobek » Mon Jan 26, 2009 10:29 pm UTC

I sent martinW a PM asking him to update this tread title, so that we may draw in some folks who still think we have not started a new one.

He's not on all that much recently. ST, if he does not come around could you please update the title?

InstinctSage

Postby InstinctSage » Mon Jan 26, 2009 10:37 pm UTC

Good work! Sand, discovered magma pipe, Bauxite, gems, and you got steel production going practically right away! The walls look like a neat little compound. Have you nicknamed yourself?

Question: I have no idea how to check the date in game. I never seem to see it listed anywhere, how do you check it?

Vieto

Postby Vieto » Mon Jan 26, 2009 11:41 pm UTC

[z], top right corner of the screen. There should be the fortress name (pretty kick-butt in my opinion) and the date.

Also, please make my character the sheriff. You will find that all I need in my quarters (hit f5, I believe) is a few tables and desks, wait until the ceiling is finished, and then assign the bedroom, office, and dining hall to Vieto. When I get married (in DF), she will go there too.

Also, that is my first functional magma forge ever. Design stolen from our previous bloodline.

also:

1. Vieto -finished-
2. yuri2356 -current-
3. OOTD
4. InstinctSage
5. SecondTalon
10. Vieto

Would you mind me starting a new thread, called Dwarf fortress: bloodline #2?

InstinctSage

Postby InstinctSage » Mon Jan 26, 2009 11:56 pm UTC

I think in future we should create a new thread for each bloodline game that starts up.

Vieto

Postby Vieto » Tue Jan 27, 2009 12:49 am UTC

InstinctSage wrote:I think in future we should create a new thread for each bloodline game that starts up.

Agreed.

InstinctSage

Re: Bloodline Dwarf Fortress #2

Postby InstinctSage » Tue Jan 27, 2009 2:31 am UTC

Neato, thanks ST.

Now Vieto can throw the Fortress name up on the thread title and hopefully keep it updated with the game status. :D

Vieto

Re: Bloodline Dwarf Fortress #2: PowerDragon, the Valley of Fire

Postby Vieto » Tue Jan 27, 2009 2:43 am UTC

Right! I forgot I could do that now.

oneofthedragon
Modfather

Postby oneofthedragon » Tue Jan 27, 2009 4:22 am UTC

As a general question: Do any of the player have any problems with using traps for defense purposes? Some people consider them broken, but I just want to know for future defense preparations.

Also, are there any init/raw items that I should have on or off, or should have otherwise changed?

Thanks.

InstinctSage

Postby InstinctSage » Tue Jan 27, 2009 4:37 am UTC

I don't have a problem with them, but I should add that I have never really used them myself. I prefer to train a military and enjoy the carnage of dwarf vs. invader action. Seeing opponents get carved up by traps might be fun, too, but I haven't gotten around to devising elaborate pressure plate driven deathtraps yet.

The hallway o' weapon traps isn't something I'd build. If there's one in the fort when I get there I won't deconstruct or otherwise render it useless, though.

oneofthedragon
Modfather

Postby oneofthedragon » Tue Jan 27, 2009 4:47 am UTC

I generally use stonefalls around the entrance until I get a military, with scattered cage traps later. Cage traps area must have for me. So many interesting things to do with the goblins.

Vieto

Postby Vieto » Tue Jan 27, 2009 6:33 am UTC

go ahead, use traps. If I had the time, I would have made the 'corridor of death', which would be used if a main draw-bridge was retracted, as such:

Code: Select all

======O   O=====
HHHHH    HIIH
Traps    HIIH
Traps    HIIH
Traps    HIIH
HHHHH    HIIH
=====OUUUO
     HUUUH
     HUUUH
     HUUUH

except that the trap corridor is much longer. Channels are under the draw-bridge also.

Phen

Postby Phen » Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:30 am UTC

I'm willing to join the game again... Just don't expect too much from my journal.
I'm a wizard. We know these things.

In war, one should seek to take and hold the high ground. From there, the enemy's movements are clearly visible, and he will struggle just to reach you, let alone fight you. High orbit is the highest ground there is.

Vieto

Postby Vieto » Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:07 pm UTC

Personally, I think I went a little overboard with my journal, so as long as you give us the highlights of what happened, I think it's good.

Yuri2356

Postby Yuri2356 » Sun Feb 01, 2009 11:14 pm UTC

Sorry, kind of dead over here. Skip me.

InstinctSage

Postby InstinctSage » Mon Feb 02, 2009 1:29 am UTC

I was wondering what the story was... I guess it's OOTD's go then.

oneofthedragon
Modfather

Re: Bloodline Dwarf Fortress #2: PD-tVoF - OOTD's turn

Postby oneofthedragon » Tue Feb 03, 2009 1:29 am UTC

Alright, I'll start today. I'll be finished within a few days.

oneofthedragon
Modfather

Postby oneofthedragon » Tue Feb 03, 2009 1:57 am UTC

Are we running some kind of mod I'm unaware of? I'm getting errors about a reaction trying to open the save. (this is on a fresh install)

I applied the cat fix after I was prompted to, but I seem to be missing something else. Can anyone shed some light on this?

oneofthedragon
Modfather

Postby oneofthedragon » Tue Feb 03, 2009 2:01 am UTC

Alright. I have been informed that there are some necessary raw changes.
http://mayday.w.staszic.waw.pl/df.htm was applied by vieto.
I'll try to figure out what was changed raw wise and tell you all before my turn ends.

Vieto

Postby Vieto » Tue Feb 03, 2009 2:01 am UTC

This is what I've been using. I'm not quite sure about every single mod used though. I guess I should have read the read-me :wink:

sorry about that. I didn't know until recently that mods could cause incompatibility.

edit: ninja'd

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Tue Feb 03, 2009 2:06 am UTC

Vieto, it might be best to just zip up your DF directory (Without saves) and put it up somewhere to download.

Vieto

Postby Vieto » Tue Feb 03, 2009 2:34 am UTC

oneofthedragon
Modfather

Postby oneofthedragon » Wed Feb 04, 2009 1:40 am UTC

Ok. Turn over and everything's pretty good.

The good:
Moved everything inside, have at least one of almost all the workshops built
3 moods, one in progress, all successful (last one is in the building stage) (1 woodcutter, 1 carpenter and one METALSMITH!)
Built a meeting area (I didn't use the one you dug out vieto, I based mine around a well, and I thought it'd be easier just to channel the brook in a lower level, rather than pump it up, plus, it keeps the dwarves safer in case of a siege)
Indoor water source, well.
Drawbridge in front on the completed wall, connected to a lever
Struck hematite, about 30 or so ores.
struck some gems
not much else
The Bad:
2 dwarves dead. 1 died in completing the wall, he got stuck and I didn't see him, 1 died from an imp... crawled out of the magma dump spot (I build some traps around it, so it should be safe.)

The odd:
We get ambushed by some goblins. Goblins kill a few zombie mountain goats. Goblins encounter our resident zombie mountain eagle, and surprisingly, he takes them all out, then leaves the map.

Vieto: You're the sheriff, however, there's a problem with your room, as, apparently, where your doors go are exactly the "too close to edge for furniture" point, so your office is spilling out into your hallway, and your dining room is in it's own little cell in the same area as all the workshops. Sorry about that, you can move them where ever you like on your turn.

Overall, I'm sorry about having the dwarves die, and I hope I didn't do anything that you all dislike. I have no specific plans for the future, but I do think we need to expand our farming, cooking, and brewing operations, possibly recruiting some more planters. I smelted some of the hematite, but I didn't do that much else in the way of industry. I apologize if I did anything you all don't like. Good luck whoever's next.

Right now I have bins, barrels, and beds on a repeating cycle in the 2 carpentry workshops, and rock furniture in the mason's workshops. Nothing metalworking related, at the moment. There is a small hole I put in the wall, on the upper level, upper right, about 4 walls wide, trying to get the corpse of the dead mason. You should patch this up and watch for trapped dwarves. Good luck.
http://www.mediafire.com/?eqezmyzmmyd

Return to “Gaming”