INTRO THREAD 2.0: INTRODUCE YOURSELF OR PERISH!

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

thefiddler
The Fora's Prophetess

Postby thefiddler » Thu May 31, 2007 8:23 pm UTC

Belial wrote:"..."

That always makes me think of a robot face, or something.

Does anybody else see this?

Belial
A terrible sound heard from a distance

Postby Belial » Thu May 31, 2007 8:25 pm UTC

I can kindof see it.

Anyway, in transcribing dialogue, I believe it's also used to represent "trailing off", or long, significant pauses in a single piece of monologue, where the dash is generally used to represent sudden interruption.

I have no basis to claim this, except that that's how I see it used in novels.
addams wrote:A drunk neighbor is better than a sober Belial.

They/them

HanClinto

Hey, not a bot, cheers.

Postby HanClinto » Thu May 31, 2007 8:34 pm UTC

Well, since I can't get by with just the subject line alone, I suppose I'll put down a little bit more.

By day, I'm a mild mannered programmer. But by night, I'm a mild mannered programmer who works on games. For my sustenance, I work for a large speaker manufacturer, developing firmware to help run the amplifiers on their large powered speakers (the kind that would go in at stadiums, large churches, or concerts).

Programming is my art form, and the keyboard is my brush -- it's what I love to do. I get stressed out writing code at my job all day, then I come home and write more code to relax. I feel so incredibly blessed to have a job that lets me do something that I enjoy so much.

Some of my favorite interests (besides computers) are theology, Lego, juggling, unicycling, and frisbee.

So to that, I say "Cheers!"

--clint

Spaz Funbag

Postby Spaz Funbag » Thu May 31, 2007 8:35 pm UTC

Belial wrote:Anyway, in transcribing dialogue, I believe it's also used to represent "trailing off", or long, significant pauses in a single piece of monologue, where the dash is generally used to represent sudden interruption.

I have no basis to claim this, except that that's how I see it used in novels.

That is what I use them for - quite often. Hope fiddler is not annoyed by this :)

@the fiddler: Thanks, by the way, for that description. You just did what several years of grammar in school failed to do to me!

To HanClinto: Hi there! You have a bunch of cool hobbies!
Last edited by Spaz Funbag on Thu May 31, 2007 8:37 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
The harder you try, the dumber you look

crazyjimbo

Postby crazyjimbo » Thu May 31, 2007 8:37 pm UTC

thefiddler wrote:
Belial wrote:"..."

That always makes me think of a robot face, or something.

Does anybody else see this?

Yea, I see it. Whenever I look at 'the union over infinity' of something in maths, I can't help but see an evil smiley face. Likewise, 'the intersection over infinity' is an evil sad face. Once I saw it, I can't help but see it everytime :?

Awezing

Postby Awezing » Thu May 31, 2007 9:05 pm UTC

Ren wrote:The jazz and the blues and the music is pretty sweet, too. Are you going to be in O'Tawa for Bluesfest? What is your band called?

I'm in toronto for the summer, so unfourtunately i won't be there for bluesfest :(

My band used to be called "To Be Determined" but its not a good name so we're changing it this year (also because we have a new drummer and are ditching all our old material and writing new stuff), but we don't know what to call ourselves. so far the best suggestions have been "Lay on, Macduff" or "Mousecream and the Flowerbottoms"... so yeah, we need a better name.

we'll probably end up sounding like a slightly heavier, rougher interpol with one guitar instead of two. and with some blues thrown in, since i can't *not* play blues if i'm doing any soloing whatsoever, which is starting to get really annoying.

Ren
Rockin' Robin

Postby Ren » Thu May 31, 2007 9:07 pm UTC

It will give you a unique sound!
Also, I think you should call your band "The Hedgetrimmers"

(Did you see what I did there?)
MotleyJesster (12:34:04 PM): Better than moping around being all "I do not need love, I have indie music and a wind instrument!"

Awezing

Postby Awezing » Thu May 31, 2007 9:26 pm UTC

we're trying not to have a "The <random noun>s" name. everybody does that.

and yeah, the blues lead guitar will probably work well. its just for playing metal or complicated jazz that my bluesmithing gets in the way. they require more than pentatonic noodling.

TheTankengine
Our Fora-father

Re: Hey, not a bot, cheers.

Postby TheTankengine » Thu May 31, 2007 9:54 pm UTC

HanClinto wrote:Some of my favorite interests (besides computers) are theology, Lego, juggling, unicycling, and frisbee.

Quick! To the lego meme thread with you!
be centered
be compassionate
be interesting

HanClinto

Postby HanClinto » Thu May 31, 2007 9:55 pm UTC

TheTankengine wrote:Quick! To the lego meme thread with you!

A Lego meme thread resides here? Whoa, I think I could enjoy this place quite a bit. :)

DonChubby

Postby DonChubby » Thu May 31, 2007 9:55 pm UTC

TheTankengine wrote:
HanClinto wrote:Some of my favorite interests (besides computers) are theology, Lego, juggling, unicycling, and frisbee.

Quick! To the lego meme thread with you!

Yes, chop-chop off you go. :)

Edit:
HanClinto wrote:A Lego meme thread resides here? Whoa, I think I could enjoy this place quite a bit. :)

Aye, that there be.
Treason doth never prosper, what's the reason?
For if it prosper, none dare call it treason.
CreemyNougat wrote:It was the saddest orgasm ever.

liza
It's teatime somewhere

Postby liza » Fri Jun 01, 2007 1:27 am UTC

Spaz Funbag wrote:And don't give me (x/a)²+(y/b)²=1

Oh, darn you! I was totally going to do that (primarily because that's what we're learning [re-learning... arrgh] in Calc right now).

I can't believe it - other people like punctuation! Sweet. I'm rather partial to semicolons myself, though ellipses have a certain appeal too. I also like therefore sign (∴) and the interrobang (); the former because it's just so darned useful in math & note-taking and the latter because it's so very obscure.

hencethus

Postby hencethus » Fri Jun 01, 2007 1:49 am UTC

Hello, everyone.

These fora look totally rad to me, and from the little bit of lurking I've done it seems like the people here generally have the same charm that the xkcd comic has: you're intelligent and interesting and you don't take yourselves too seriously.

So without further ado I'll get to the introducing:
I'm a young (24) married dude with two kids--a beautiful almost-two daughter, and an almost-one bad-ass son (bad ass-son?). I have an OK job as the dude from the cable company that comes to fix your computer when you can't get on the intarwebs (although my guess is that most of you here fix your own computers). My formal education is severely lacking (college dropout), and I'd like to change that. Sometimes I get all worked up about my political ideals or my aversion to religion, but mostly I'm a pretty mellow guy. I don't mow my lawn very often. Sometimes I read books. I like computers, music, beer, and a whole lot of other things.

You can see what I look like here.

See you around!
Last edited by hencethus on Fri Jun 01, 2007 2:27 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

damienthebloody
the most metal thing EVER

Postby damienthebloody » Fri Jun 01, 2007 2:05 am UTC

thefiddler wrote:Oh dear. I misspelled "ellipsis". :/ I just realized that.

No you didn't :D
You correctly used the plural in your original sentence, and the plural of ellipsis is ellipses. Hooray for spelling!
German Sausage wrote:Is that an EMP in your pants, or are you just outraged by my sexist behaviour?
liza wrote:When life gives you a wife made of salt, make margaritas?
Dance like you're stamping on a human face forever.

liza
It's teatime somewhere

Postby liza » Fri Jun 01, 2007 3:39 am UTC

damienthebloody wrote:Hooray for spelling!

Hooray for spelling, hooray for punctuation - I think I'll get a jump start by being the first to say (on this thread) "Hooray for grammar and associated concepts!". Okay, so it's not the catchiest cheer, but I imagine it has a certain appeal when it's spelled aloud by cheerleaders and a crowd.

Tangent

Here's me

Postby Tangent » Fri Jun 01, 2007 4:48 am UTC

My name's not really Tangent but that's the direction I like to head off on. I like mathematics, astronomy, Belle & Sebastian, and baking vegan cupcakes. My heroes include Evariste Galois and Arthur Rimbaud. I am interested in defunct countries, debased ideas, defiled artwork, and disgruntled employees. My middle name is Francis. My age has two prime factors, one of which is unlucky, the other of which is even. What am I doing with my life?

damienthebloody

Re: Here's me

Postby damienthebloody » Fri Jun 01, 2007 4:49 am UTC

Tangent wrote:My heroes include Evariste Galois

Ten points for you!
German Sausage wrote:Is that an EMP in your pants, or are you just outraged by my sexist behaviour?

Alisto
Crazy like a BOX!

Postby Alisto » Fri Jun 01, 2007 5:15 am UTC

arcticfox.sq wrote:Hello~ I kinda missed the whole "introduce yourself" thing for the first dozen posts or so.... I was more of a lurker anyways, but umm... here I am. Better late than never I suppose.
I'm Chinese, living in Canada, and I'm going to Queen's next year!! Yay! (for life sciences btw) Are there any other Queen's students here?

Sarah

Ni hao! Ni hui shuo pu tong hua ma?
Bad grammar makes me [sic].
Crazy like a BOX!
<Jauss> Because karaoke, especially karaoke + lesbians = Alisto, amirite?
<rachel> Old people ain't got shit to do but look at clocks.

Spaz Funbag

Postby Spaz Funbag » Fri Jun 01, 2007 9:01 am UTC

Alisto wrote:Ni hao! Ni hui shuo pu tong hua ma?

well, chances would be quite high.

Vickigirl

Woo, I'm new.

Postby Vickigirl » Fri Jun 01, 2007 9:48 am UTC

Well, hi all.

I decided I finally needed to post something when I read the latest comic (http://xkcd.com/c271.html). It's a great comic, especially once you've watched the film - the scary thing being I watched it on Tuesday. That's right, a random film made in 1977. Watched by me. Three days before this comic came online. Too much scary coincidence to let it go by without joining in and telling someone :D

As for me, I'm a 2nd year ANU student studying physics and chemistry, and this comic has been my muse for the past year. Currently adorning my door is "The Difference" - emphasising my, well, let's just call it "xkcdness" from all the normal people out there :) I believe that Schrodinger's Cat isn't dead, he's just sleeping and that raptors are really nice, deep down, they just need someone to love them. I fear the day I run out of chocolate and I rejoice at the onset of holidays. My age is a prime number (hah beat that!) and my favourite things include xkcd, Terry Pratchett, apple sauce, the smell of rain and Queensland accents.

This post was brought to you by the number -4.

Alisto
Crazy like a BOX!

Postby Alisto » Fri Jun 01, 2007 12:25 pm UTC

Spaz Funbag wrote:

well, chances would be quite high.

Not necessarily. I know a few who don't speak any form of Chinese, and several who only speak Cantonese.
Crazy like a BOX!

Toeofdoom
The (Male) Skeleton Guitarist

Re: Woo, I'm new.

Postby Toeofdoom » Fri Jun 01, 2007 12:42 pm UTC

Vickigirl wrote:My age is a prime number (hah beat that!)

This compels me to find the exact date and time that my ages is equal to e^pi-pi years and post on the forums then
Hawknc wrote:Gotta love our political choices here - you can pick the unionised socially conservative party, or the free-market even more socially conservative party. Oh who to vote for…I don't know, I think I'll just flip a coin and hope it explodes and kills me.

Website

hermaj

Postby hermaj » Fri Jun 01, 2007 1:02 pm UTC

My age is a prime number also, and seeing as you're in second year at ANU I suspect your age is my age. So, even? :P

evilbeanfiend

Re: Woo, I'm new.

Postby evilbeanfiend » Fri Jun 01, 2007 1:08 pm UTC

Vickigirl wrote: My age is a prime number (hah beat that!) and my favourite things include .... the smell of rain and Queensland accents.

my age is prime and probably larger than yours. what do queensland accents smell of?
in ur beanz makin u eveel

Spaz Funbag

Postby Spaz Funbag » Fri Jun 01, 2007 1:19 pm UTC

Today is the last day that my age is prime, and then there will be three non-prime years.

*enjoys*

jamessw

Postby jamessw » Fri Jun 01, 2007 1:37 pm UTC

thefiddler wrote:I'm sorry for rambling like this. :(

It cannot be helped, i've found that since I caught the incurable disease of writing, with excessive punctuation, I also expand points beyond that which is necessary for the conversation or answer; and like you, I quite often end up with sentences that are way too long for comfort.
~ james

arcticfox.sq

Postby arcticfox.sq » Fri Jun 01, 2007 2:53 pm UTC

你好啊 ^_^

Let's see if Chinese characters show up properly here... hmmm

你是哪里人?

damienthebloody

Postby damienthebloody » Fri Jun 01, 2007 3:03 pm UTC

i am also prime, but a different prime to tegan and vicki.

(welcome, vicki - always nice to see more australians joining and helping us reclaim the internet from the Canadians. Even canberra-ites :P ).

German Sausage
3 of 5

Postby German Sausage » Fri Jun 01, 2007 3:14 pm UTC

tangent, i admire and respect you. don't let the posts from now disappoint.
<bakemaster> Only German Sausage can prevent forest fires
<felstaff> Hype is like a giant disappointment ray aimed squarely at the finished article.
<watson> Treat me like a criminal, Holmes!
TMT4L

Alisto
Crazy like a BOX!

Postby Alisto » Fri Jun 01, 2007 3:36 pm UTC

arcticfox.sq wrote:你是哪里人?

I don't have an easy way to type characters, so I have to go the search/copy/paste route.

我是美国人可是我会说一点点普通话.

And I can't guarantee that that is entirely correct. I'm still learning. :p
Crazy like a BOX!

thefiddler
The Fora's Prophetess

Postby thefiddler » Fri Jun 01, 2007 3:40 pm UTC

damienthebloody wrote:i am also prime, but a different prime to tegan and vicki.

Oh, yeah. That's right. You're old. :D

Nah, just kidding.

My age is prime, too. But only for a little over a month. :D

@jamessw - I would have revised your sentence to vary punctuation (commas are not necessarily the most appropriate in some places), but I'm feeling a bit lazy - or was it nice? I can never tell the difference.

Oh hell. It's bugging me.

It cannot be helped; I've found -- since I caught the incurable disease of writing with excessive punctuation -- I also expand points beyond that which is necessary for the conversation or answer and, like you, I quite often end up with sentences that are way too long for comfort.

GBog

Postby GBog » Fri Jun 01, 2007 5:21 pm UTC

Hello,

After some weeks of lurking, I finally signed up today to throw in my two bits on how "Powers of i" should look like.

Well, anyhow, I'm an engineering student (specialization: physics and maths) at the Norwegian University of Science and Technology, and I'm one of the nerdiest people I know.

Guess I should have written some more here, but the weather is smashing today, for once, and I should really get outside and walk the world.

PS. age isn't a prime, though birthdate, written in ddmmyyy format is, beat that.

DonChubby

Postby DonChubby » Fri Jun 01, 2007 5:34 pm UTC

GBog wrote:PS. age isn't a prime, though birthdate, written in ddmmyyy format is, beat that.

I'm a leprechaun.
And I bid thee welcome. :)
Treason doth never prosper, what's the reason?

For if it prosper, none dare call it treason.

CreemyNougat wrote:It was the saddest orgasm ever.

arcticfox.sq

Postby arcticfox.sq » Fri Jun 01, 2007 5:50 pm UTC

Alisto wrote:我是美国人可是我会说一点点普通话.

That is so cool!!! :D You're doing great, it's all correct so far.

Alisto wrote:I don't have an easy way to type characters, so I have to go the search/copy/paste route.

Umm... did you try adding a language input thingy in the control panel? I bought my computer here and I could get a few Chinese input systems without installing anything extra...

And good job for choosing Mandarin over Cantonese! We totally rock.

bellemarematt

Postby bellemarematt » Fri Jun 01, 2007 6:42 pm UTC

so, i'm introducing myself. i'm matt. i'm an 18 year old male from connecticut. i'm currently a high school student. next year i'll be attending uconn and probably majoring in physics

Alisto
Crazy like a BOX!

Postby Alisto » Fri Jun 01, 2007 6:49 pm UTC

arcticfox.sq wrote:
Alisto wrote:我是美国人可是我会说一点点普通话.

That is so cool!!! :D You're doing great, it's all correct so far.

:D

arcticfox.sq wrote:
Alisto wrote:I don't have an easy way to type characters, so I have to go the search/copy/paste route.

Umm... did you try adding a language input thingy in the control panel? I bought my computer here and I could get a few Chinese input systems without installing anything extra...

Nope. I'll try that when I get home. I'm at work now and can't edit those settings. Honestly, I don't know how useful it is. A lot of times, I have to look up the characters anyway. The two semesters I took were focused on speaking and listening, so even though he always wrote both pinyin and 漢字 on the board, my reading/writing is largely self taught.

arcticfox.sq wrote:And good job for choosing Mandarin over Cantonese! We totally rock.

Indeed. Cantonese sounds so... awkward. Yuck.
Crazy like a BOX!

Vogt

Postby Vogt » Fri Jun 01, 2007 8:05 pm UTC

Hey guys.

I just recently began reading xkcd and joined the forum on a whim to see who else read it. Since then I've just been lurking about the forums.

What else is there to say?
I love music. Lately I've been listening to bands like Pigface and Underworld. They've got some crazy stuff, man. I like reading too, book I'm currently (re)reading is The River of Time. I'm also pretty open minded

So yeah.. Now I've introduced myself to you guys, heh. :].

SpitValve
Not a mod.

Postby SpitValve » Fri Jun 01, 2007 9:46 pm UTC

Alisto wrote:
arcticfox.sq wrote:Umm... did you try adding a language input thingy in the control panel? I bought my computer here and I could get a few Chinese input systems without installing anything extra...

Nope. I'll try that when I get home. I'm at work now and can't edit those settings. Honestly, I don't know how useful it is. A lot of times, I have to look up the characters anyway. The two semesters I took were focused on speaking and listening, so even though he always wrote both pinyin and ?? on the board, my reading/writing is largely self taught.

I'd also recommend getting some stickers to put on your keyboard so you actually know what you're typing :D

Alisto
Crazy like a BOX!

Postby Alisto » Fri Jun 01, 2007 10:34 pm UTC

arcticfox.sq wrote:Umm... did you try adding a language input thingy in the control panel? I bought my computer here and I could get a few Chinese input systems without installing anything extra...

This is awesome.

我爱你
Crazy like a BOX!

damienthebloody

Postby damienthebloody » Sat Jun 02, 2007 1:29 am UTC

GBog wrote:PS. age isn't a prime, though birthdate, written in ddmmyyy format is, beat that.

Age is prime, birthday is prime. so there. :D

Return to “General”