Watchmen - Spoilers like a Psychic Undersea Gargant!

Rot your brains, then rot our boards

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

User avatar
Thousand
Posts: 139
Joined: Sat Oct 06, 2007 9:36 pm UTC
Location: Manchester, UK

Re: I am sad. (Watchmen.)

Postby Thousand » Fri Jan 16, 2009 10:13 am UTC

Phen wrote:All these trailers are making me annoyed, since I know it'll be forever before it comes to Europe, anyhow.


Whut?

IMDB.com wrote:Belgium - 4 March 2009
France - 4 March 2009
Czech Republic - 5 March 2009
Germany - 5 March 2009
Netherlands - 5 March 2009
Austria - 6 March 2009
Denmark - 6 March 2009
Finland - 6 March 2009
Italy - 6 March 2009
Norway - 6 March 2009
Spain - 6 March 2009
Turkey - 6 March 2009
UK - 6 March 2009
USA - 6 March 2009
Estonia - 13 March 2009
Iceland - 13 March 2009
Sweden - 13 March 2009
Croatia - 19 March 2009


Don't know about you, but it looks like they've done a pretty good job of keeping all the release dates relatively close together. Hell, some countries in Europe get it before the USA :D

(all European countries included as I'm not sure which one you're from :))

User avatar
charliepanayi
Posts: 1531
Joined: Sat Sep 27, 2008 7:26 pm UTC
Location: London, UK

Re: I am sad. (Watchmen.)

Postby charliepanayi » Fri Jan 16, 2009 1:54 pm UTC

Yeah aside from some exceptions (like some Pixar films) there's usually no more than a month or so between Europe (or at least the UK) and USA release dates for big films these days I find - probably because of piracy etc. I remember it used to be a lot worse in terms of waiting times.
"Excuse me Miss, do you like pineapple?"

"I don't want to achieve immortality through my work, I want to achieve it through not dying"

User avatar
Phen
Posts: 1184
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 8:50 pm UTC
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark

Re: I am sad. (Watchmen.)

Postby Phen » Wed Jan 21, 2009 2:57 pm UTC

Thousand wrote:
Phen wrote:All these trailers are making me annoyed, since I know it'll be forever before it comes to Europe, anyhow.


Whut?

IMDB.com wrote:Belgium - 4 March 2009
France - 4 March 2009
Czech Republic - 5 March 2009
Germany - 5 March 2009
Netherlands - 5 March 2009
Austria - 6 March 2009
Denmark - 6 March 2009
Finland - 6 March 2009
Italy - 6 March 2009
Norway - 6 March 2009
Spain - 6 March 2009
Turkey - 6 March 2009
UK - 6 March 2009
USA - 6 March 2009
Estonia - 13 March 2009
Iceland - 13 March 2009
Sweden - 13 March 2009
Croatia - 19 March 2009


Don't know about you, but it looks like they've done a pretty good job of keeping all the release dates relatively close together. Hell, some countries in Europe get it before the USA :D

(all European countries included as I'm not sure which one you're from :))

Alright, alright. I'll change it to general annoyance at the late release dates in europe. I had no idea when it going to be at the big screen.
I'm a wizard. We know these things.

In war, one should seek to take and hold the high ground. From there, the enemy's movements are clearly visible, and he will struggle just to reach you, let alone fight you. High orbit is the highest ground there is.

User avatar
lorenith
Posts: 1123
Joined: Sat Jul 14, 2007 3:35 am UTC
Location: Transient
Contact:

Re: I am sad. (Watchmen.)

Postby lorenith » Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:56 pm UTC

Looks like the lawsuit Fox had with WB has been settled.

http://www.watchmencomicmovie.com/01150 ... missed.php

Ubik
Posts: 1016
Joined: Thu Oct 18, 2007 3:43 pm UTC

Re: I am sad. (Watchmen.)

Postby Ubik » Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:17 pm UTC

I think it is time we look a bit into the past. And there we look a bit into the past too. Here. There's also a interesting link in the profile page.

User avatar
Dream
WINNING
Posts: 4338
Joined: Tue Dec 04, 2007 7:20 pm UTC
Location: The Hollow Scene Epic

Re: I am sad. (Watchmen.)

Postby Dream » Fri Jan 23, 2009 5:29 am UTC

lorenith wrote:Looks like the lawsuit Fox had with WB has been settled.

http://www.watchmencomicmovie.com/01150 ... missed.php

So, from the link, Fox aren't going to tinker at all, nor interfere with the release schedule. Good. They're getting a lump sum payment, which covers their original development efforts and legal fees. Not so good. They should never have brought the case this late, it's their own fault they had to spend so much.

And they're taking a gross cut of this move, and all future spinoffs and sequels, without lifting a finger, or even investing any cash. That, to me is out and out theft. These people are bastards.
I knew a woman once, but she died soon after.

User avatar
smw543
Posts: 1248
Joined: Thu Oct 23, 2008 4:45 am UTC
Location: Orlando, Florida

Re: I am sad. (Watchmen.)

Postby smw543 » Fri Jan 23, 2009 8:06 am UTC

Dream wrote:...and all future spinoffs and sequels

Don't give them any ideas!

Seriously, if they make a Watchmen 2, I will dedicate every waking moment to destroying them. I would, however, be OK with a campy Saturday morning cartoon show.
Spoiler:
LE4dGOLEM wrote:Now you know the difference between funny and sad.
Ubik wrote:But I'm too fond of the penis to let it go.
gmalivuk wrote:If you didn't want people to 'mis'understand you, then you probably should have tried saying something less stupid.

Joeldi
Posts: 1055
Joined: Sat Feb 17, 2007 1:49 am UTC
Location: Central Queensland, Australia
Contact:

Re: I am sad. (Watchmen.)

Postby Joeldi » Fri Jan 23, 2009 10:09 am UTC

I agree, anything like that, as long as it's too silly to be considered any sort of canon, and I'd be ok with it.
I already have a hate thread. Necromancy > redundancy here, so post there.

roc314 wrote:America is a police state that communicates in txt speak...

"i hav teh dissentors brb""¡This cheese is burning me! u pwnd them bff""thx ur cool 2"

User avatar
cephalopod9
Posts: 2029
Joined: Sat Dec 02, 2006 7:23 am UTC

Re: I am sad. (Watchmen.)

Postby cephalopod9 » Sat Jan 24, 2009 2:10 am UTC

Trying to make Watchmen into a saturday morning cartoon would be intensely horrible,
But, a Watchmen universe cartoon series could be serious awesome times.
I think the right degree of self awareness is key. Retro style comercials and such.
Image

User avatar
Briareos
Posts: 1940
Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2007 12:40 pm UTC
Location: Town of the Big House

Re: I am sad. (Watchmen.)

Postby Briareos » Mon Jan 26, 2009 2:32 pm UTC

smw543 wrote:
Dream wrote:...and all future spinoffs and sequels

Don't give them any ideas!

Seriously, if they make a Watchmen 2, I will dedicate every waking moment to destroying them. I would, however, be OK with a campy Saturday morning cartoon show.


Image
Sandry wrote:Bless you, Briareos.

Blriaraisghaasghoasufdpt.
Oregonaut wrote:Briareos is my new bestest friend.

User avatar
McCaber
Posts: 474
Joined: Mon Dec 31, 2007 6:35 am UTC
Location: Coyote
Contact:

Re: I am sad. (Watchmen.)

Postby McCaber » Thu Jan 29, 2009 9:52 am UTC

Ubik wrote:I think it is time we look a bit into the past. And there we look a bit into the past too. Here. There's also a interesting link in the profile page.

That is awesome.
Spoiler:
hyperion wrote:
Hawknc wrote:Crap, that image is going to get a lot of use around here.

That's what SHE said!

She blinded me with Science!

User avatar
dA ShAzAm
Posts: 40
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:29 pm UTC

Re: I am sad. (Watchmen.)

Postby dA ShAzAm » Tue Feb 03, 2009 8:20 pm UTC

Briareos wrote:
smw543 wrote:
Dream wrote:...and all future spinoffs and sequels

Don't give them any ideas!

Seriously, if they make a Watchmen 2, I will dedicate every waking moment to destroying them. I would, however, be OK with a campy Saturday morning cartoon show.


Spoiler:
Image


That was the best episode ever.

As far as the movie goes I'm not expecting anything as amazing as the comic. I think the most I can hope for is a movie that will be good enough to get everyone's attention and maybe influence them to go and read the comic.
~Solomon Hercules Atlas Zeus Achilles Mercury~
"When he types the name of the ancient wizard, he is magically transformed from a man into an idea--societies most doughty design!"

Klapaucius
Posts: 712
Joined: Thu Aug 21, 2008 11:00 pm UTC

Re: I am sad. (Watchmen.)

Postby Klapaucius » Wed Feb 04, 2009 6:16 pm UTC

dA ShAzAm wrote:
Briareos wrote:
smw543 wrote:
Dream wrote:...and all future spinoffs and sequels

Don't give them any ideas!

Seriously, if they make a Watchmen 2, I will dedicate every waking moment to destroying them. I would, however, be OK with a campy Saturday morning cartoon show.


Spoiler:
Image


That was the best episode ever.

As far as the movie goes I'm not expecting anything as amazing as the comic. I think the most I can hope for is a movie that will be good enough to get everyone's attention and maybe influence them to go and read the comic.
Correction: The best first ten minutes or so of an episode ever. The rest was all as forgettable as possible.
500%!

User avatar
TheAmazingRando
Posts: 2308
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2008 9:58 am UTC
Location: San Diego, CA

Re: I am sad. (Watchmen.)

Postby TheAmazingRando » Wed Feb 04, 2009 11:55 pm UTC

Klapaucius wrote:Correction: The best first ten minutes or so of an episode ever. The rest was all as forgettable as possible.
It was a terrible shame. It's like the writers said "we have an awesome premise that could fill an entire episode. Let's forget about it and go off in a completely different direction."

Jack Saladin
X is kiss
Posts: 4445
Joined: Thu Jun 15, 2006 8:22 am UTC
Location: Aotearoa

Re: I am sad. (Watchmen.)

Postby Jack Saladin » Thu Feb 05, 2009 12:08 am UTC

... Isn't that what they do every single episode?

User avatar
OmegaLordX
Posts: 30
Joined: Sat Jan 24, 2009 1:43 am UTC
Contact:

Re: I am sad. (Watchmen.)

Postby OmegaLordX » Thu Feb 05, 2009 12:09 am UTC

In the same vein, I would be thrilled with a south-park-eqsue Avenue Q Saturday morning show. It would work and would have the added benefit of eating the brains of all the children who watched it.
-Is not thrilled about being previously perma-banned for Forum Games-

User avatar
Steve Zissou
Posts: 112
Joined: Wed Oct 03, 2007 3:58 am UTC
Location: Ye Olde Torontoe
Contact:

Re: I am sad. (Watchmen.)

Postby Steve Zissou » Thu Feb 05, 2009 1:22 am UTC

Jack Saladin wrote:... Isn't that what they do every single episode?


Sure. But it actually worked in a way that was humorous and made sense, way back during the golden age of seasons 4 through 8. How I miss those days...
By the way, #FaiD misses you, Jack. There's a terrible yearning for your presence.
The Horrible Fanfare - A Journalist's blog.
bigglesworth wrote:Steve Zissou! Steve Zissou!
Will you do the fandango?

Jack Saladin
X is kiss
Posts: 4445
Joined: Thu Jun 15, 2006 8:22 am UTC
Location: Aotearoa

Re: I am sad. (Watchmen.)

Postby Jack Saladin » Thu Feb 05, 2009 2:17 am UTC

Who ended up succeeding me as benevolent SOP-deity?

User avatar
Jesse
Vocal Terrorist
Posts: 8635
Joined: Mon Jul 03, 2006 6:33 pm UTC
Location: Basingstoke, England.
Contact:

Re: I am sad. (Watchmen.)

Postby Jesse » Thu Feb 05, 2009 2:53 am UTC

L

Jack Saladin
X is kiss
Posts: 4445
Joined: Thu Jun 15, 2006 8:22 am UTC
Location: Aotearoa

Re: I am sad. (Watchmen.)

Postby Jack Saladin » Thu Feb 05, 2009 2:55 am UTC

... Like, brand-new-to-FaiD scrabble person? Huh.

Makes sense. Was kind of expecting Gojoe or Mega or someone, but sure.

User avatar
Jesse
Vocal Terrorist
Posts: 8635
Joined: Mon Jul 03, 2006 6:33 pm UTC
Location: Basingstoke, England.
Contact:

Re: I am sad. (Watchmen.)

Postby Jesse » Thu Feb 05, 2009 11:25 am UTC

I told her to do it. She denied it thrice, like Caesar did. But then she did it anyway.

User avatar
mosc
Doesn't care what you think.
Posts: 5403
Joined: Fri May 11, 2007 3:03 pm UTC

Re: I am sad. (Watchmen.)

Postby mosc » Wed Feb 11, 2009 11:00 pm UTC

The Superbowl trailer looked pretty good to me...

Not sure how the movie will turn out but certainly the visual style seems to be SMACK on. I can't wait for all the ways they come up with to avoid showing Manhattan's junk.
Title: It was given by the XKCD moderators to me because they didn't care what I thought (I made some rantings, etc). I care what YOU think, the joke is forums.xkcd doesn't care what I think.

User avatar
cephalopod9
Posts: 2029
Joined: Sat Dec 02, 2006 7:23 am UTC

Re: I am sad. (Watchmen.)

Postby cephalopod9 » Fri Feb 13, 2009 10:57 pm UTC

DUDE, 20 19 days left!!!

mosc wrote:I can't wait for all the ways they come up with to avoid showing Manhattan's junk.
They'll probably have Manhatten in his speedo costume longer, but as I noted a couple pages back, it sort of looks like they're not: (avoiding showing his junk)
Spoiler:
Image
Granted, that's not the final product.

Also

Black Freighter!
Image

Klapaucius
Posts: 712
Joined: Thu Aug 21, 2008 11:00 pm UTC

Re: I am sad. (Watchmen.)

Postby Klapaucius » Sun Feb 15, 2009 10:40 pm UTC

mosc wrote:The Superbowl trailer looked pretty good to me...

Not sure how the movie will turn out but certainly the visual style seems to be SMACK on. I can't wait for all the ways they come up with to avoid showing Manhattan's junk.
I can't wait for the action figure, and the resulting controversy.
500%!

User avatar
steewi
Posts: 873
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2008 3:38 am UTC
Location: Tropical Nowhere

Re: I am sad. (Watchmen.)

Postby steewi » Mon Feb 16, 2009 3:42 am UTC

Klapaucius wrote:
mosc wrote:The Superbowl trailer looked pretty good to me...

Not sure how the movie will turn out but certainly the visual style seems to be SMACK on. I can't wait for all the ways they come up with to avoid showing Manhattan's junk.
I can't wait for the action figure, and the resulting controversy.

The action figures in my comic book store (the movie release ones) are in the speedo-type thing. *shrugs*

User avatar
cephalopod9
Posts: 2029
Joined: Sat Dec 02, 2006 7:23 am UTC

Re: I am sad. (Watchmen.)

Postby cephalopod9 » Fri Feb 20, 2009 2:47 am UTC

Phooey. I forgot to find someone to go with.
And the roof of the comic book store caved in so... I'm out of ideas for finding people who might want to stand in line for a comic book movie at midnight.

Also, I still haven't gotten a t-shirt.

did I mention Black Freighter?
Spoiler:
Image
Image

User avatar
Phen
Posts: 1184
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 8:50 pm UTC
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark

Re: I am joyous. (Watchmen.)

Postby Phen » Sat Feb 21, 2009 2:43 pm UTC

The premier is 20/3 here, not the 6th as promised! :cry:
I'm a wizard. We know these things.

In war, one should seek to take and hold the high ground. From there, the enemy's movements are clearly visible, and he will struggle just to reach you, let alone fight you. High orbit is the highest ground there is.

annals
Posts: 330
Joined: Fri Mar 21, 2008 11:24 pm UTC

Re: I am sad. (Watchmen.)

Postby annals » Sat Feb 21, 2009 4:58 pm UTC

smw543 wrote:Just think how much worse it could have been if Doc Manhattan were played by Keanu Reeves or Veidt by Tom Cruise!


Quoted from way back in November (sorry), but does it make me a bad person if I think that Tom Cruise could have been a better Veidt than this guy?

User avatar
Macbi
Posts: 941
Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2007 8:32 am UTC
Location: UKvia

Re: I am sad. (Watchmen.)

Postby Macbi » Sat Feb 21, 2009 5:15 pm UTC

annals wrote:
smw543 wrote:Just think how much worse it could have been if Doc Manhattan were played by Keanu Reeves or Veidt by Tom Cruise!


Quoted from way back in November (sorry), but does it make me a bad person if I think that Tom Cruise could have been a better Veidt than this guy?
You think he's bad? I quite like him. What do you think Tom Cruise could have done better?
    Indigo is a lie.
    Which idiot decided that websites can't go within 4cm of the edge of the screen?
    There should be a null word, for the question "Is anybody there?" and to see if microphones are on.

annals
Posts: 330
Joined: Fri Mar 21, 2008 11:24 pm UTC

Re: I am joyous. (Watchmen.)

Postby annals » Sat Feb 21, 2009 6:14 pm UTC

Well, I don't think Tom Cruise would have been a disaster because he seems like he could really pull off that "golden boy who's going to save the day...oh wow you just shoved cyanide down my throat for the greater good" thing.

My hate for this particular clip comes from the weird slurring accent thing he's doing, which annoys me, but mostly it's just gut reaction after reading the comic book and then seeing the poster with him and going "that is not Ozymandias." In trying to justify the gut feeling, however, I've been reading some interviews with the actor, which have convinced me that he might do an okay job. So right now I guess I'll just cross my fingers and hope for the best with everyone else.

User avatar
cephalopod9
Posts: 2029
Joined: Sat Dec 02, 2006 7:23 am UTC

Re: I am joyous. (Watchmen.)

Postby cephalopod9 » Sun Feb 22, 2009 7:28 am UTC

I don't think casting Tom Cruise would have necessarily been a disaster, but I think it would have drawn more attention to the actors.
As is, I feel like the comic is a bigger deal than the casting. Which is pretty cool.

Plus, picturing Tom Cruise blond is just weird for me.

Dang, I keep going back and forth between thinking of new things to worry about, and finding new little moments to be excited for.
Spoiler:
I like the split second after "that's why I'm warning you first"
Image

Jack Saladin
X is kiss
Posts: 4445
Joined: Thu Jun 15, 2006 8:22 am UTC
Location: Aotearoa

Re: I am joyous. (Watchmen.)

Postby Jack Saladin » Sun Feb 22, 2009 7:51 am UTC

Hmm, he does seem a little small, but I don't think it's bad. Maybe not absolutely perfect, but there was nothing in that scene to indicate his casting would significantly hurt the film. Plus there's a difference between being absolutely faithful to the comic and making a good film, which I wish people would realise. The film is going to be different to the comic - that doesn't actually instantly make it suck.

Anyway, check out the other clip: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6FlQN9GsvBI

Rorschach certainly sounds right, if you ask me.

User avatar
Enigma90825
Posts: 172
Joined: Thu Aug 16, 2007 3:19 am UTC

Re: I am joyous. (Watchmen.)

Postby Enigma90825 » Sun Feb 22, 2009 10:46 pm UTC

This movie looks pretty sweet, gotta say.

How necessary is it to read the graphic novel before I see the movie? I hadn't even heard of this before the previews came out..... I probably lose some geek points for admitting that. :oops:
I am not here... isn't "here" just "there" without the T?

User avatar
smw543
Posts: 1248
Joined: Thu Oct 23, 2008 4:45 am UTC
Location: Orlando, Florida

Re: I am joyous. (Watchmen.)

Postby smw543 » Mon Feb 23, 2009 5:40 am UTC

Enigma90825 wrote:How necessary is it to read the graphic novel before I see the movie? I hadn't even heard of this before the previews came out..... I probably lose some geek points for admitting that. :oops:

We can't say for sure, as the movie hasn't been released yet, but I really doubt it'll make much difference. They made this movie intending for it to be a huge blockbuster, so they wouldn't be expecting the audience to have read the it.

However, the director has supposedly filled it with little easter eggs and such that only people who have read the novel will pick up on.
Spoiler:
LE4dGOLEM wrote:Now you know the difference between funny and sad.
Ubik wrote:But I'm too fond of the penis to let it go.
gmalivuk wrote:If you didn't want people to 'mis'understand you, then you probably should have tried saying something less stupid.

annals
Posts: 330
Joined: Fri Mar 21, 2008 11:24 pm UTC

Re: I am joyous. (Watchmen.)

Postby annals » Mon Feb 23, 2009 9:13 am UTC

Enigma90825 wrote:How necessary is it to read the graphic novel before I see the movie?

Read it. Go. Do it now. Trust me, you will not regret this. It's not like it'll take long either, since if you like reading at all you probably won't be able to put it down. As smw543 said, it's probably not necessary for the movie, but it is one of those things that everyone should read.

Jack Saladin
X is kiss
Posts: 4445
Joined: Thu Jun 15, 2006 8:22 am UTC
Location: Aotearoa

Re: I am joyous. (Watchmen.)

Postby Jack Saladin » Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:32 am UTC

... It is a damn good book, but it's hugely overhyped. Especially so on xkcd, for some reason. It's not even close to being as intelligent, deep, and most especially original as a lot of people claim it is.

But if all the comics you've read are Spiderman and Action Comics, I guess it would seem like the best thing around.

User avatar
Malice
Posts: 3894
Joined: Sat Jul 21, 2007 5:37 am UTC
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Contact:

Re: I am joyous. (Watchmen.)

Postby Malice » Mon Feb 23, 2009 1:36 pm UTC

Enigma90825 wrote:How necessary is it to read the graphic novel before I see the movie?


See the movie first. Then read the book, because that will deepen your understanding of the story. To do it in the other order means losing some of the excitement of the story, especially reading it so close to the film's release.
Image

Stabable Offense
Posts: 48
Joined: Thu Oct 30, 2008 3:57 am UTC

Re: I am joyous. (Watchmen.)

Postby Stabable Offense » Mon Feb 23, 2009 2:36 pm UTC

I think that watching the movie before reading the book is always a good bet. That way when you're watching the movie you don't have the burden of oh this isn't nearly as good as the book even if it would be good on its own. So instead of the book just being good you can enjoy both.

User avatar
smw543
Posts: 1248
Joined: Thu Oct 23, 2008 4:45 am UTC
Location: Orlando, Florida

Re: I am joyous. (Watchmen.)

Postby smw543 » Mon Feb 23, 2009 4:24 pm UTC

Jack Saladin wrote:...and most especially original as a lot of people claim it is.

If you're talking about that episode of Outer Limits, I've seen it and it sucked. Besides, that show was just a rip-off of The Twilight Zone (even if that particular episode was original.)
Spoiler:
LE4dGOLEM wrote:Now you know the difference between funny and sad.
Ubik wrote:But I'm too fond of the penis to let it go.
gmalivuk wrote:If you didn't want people to 'mis'understand you, then you probably should have tried saying something less stupid.

User avatar
SecondTalon
SexyTalon
Posts: 26519
Joined: Sat May 05, 2007 2:10 pm UTC
Location: Louisville, Kentucky, USA, Mars. HA!
Contact:

Re: I am joyous. (Watchmen.)

Postby SecondTalon » Mon Feb 23, 2009 11:21 pm UTC

Jack Saladin wrote:... It is a damn good book, but it's hugely overhyped. Especially so on xkcd, for some reason. It's not even close to being as intelligent, deep, and most especially original as a lot of people claim it is.


.. for 1986?

I mean, yes, there was good stuff before that and The Dark Knight Returns, but it kinda.. I don't know.. seems like you're saying "Alien? Female Sci-Fi Action Lead? Yawn. Seen it before and better, nothing new here"
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.


Return to “Movies and TV Shows”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 12 guests