Do you shut your computer down at night?

The magic smoke.

Moderators: phlip, Moderators General, Prelates

Do you shut down at night?

Yes, but only at night. I leave it running while at school/work/off with friends/whatever
18%
Yes, always. And I go beyond that, I only start it up when I need it, and shut it down when I am done with it.
27%
Nope, it's up 24/7
35%
I don't ever shut it down, but I sleep it when I won't be needing it for a few hours
20%

Total votes: 142

J the Ninja

Do you shut your computer down at night?

Postby J the Ninja » Mon Feb 23, 2009 4:49 am UTC

The old debate about shutting down at night or not. Some say it's a needless waste, others say the stress of repeated starts and shut downs will kill the machine faster and end up doing more damage to the planet and your wallet in the long run. I searched but couldn't find this thread if it exits, so I just decided to make one, and threw in a poll. I'm a little curious what everyone else does. I'm mostly in the 4th group myself.
Shishichi wrote:Applies a sexward force to counter the sexpression effect that Forward Advection can apply to fluid density, particularly along sextainer boundaries. In this way, the sextribute attempts to conserve the overall fluid volume ensuring no density loss.
(he/him/his)

joeframbach

Re: Do you shut your computer down at night?

Postby joeframbach » Mon Feb 23, 2009 5:02 am UTC

My machine spends about 18-20 hours a day in hibernate, and 4-6 hours awake.

Carnildo

Postby Carnildo » Mon Feb 23, 2009 5:09 am UTC

Depends on the computer:

Workstation: Always on.
Router: Always on.
Web/email/etc server: Always on.
Application server: Always on.
Backup server: Only on when making backups or restoring from them.
Gaming system: Only on when I'm using it.
Laptop: Always on, usually in sleep mode.
Slide rule: On? Off? I do not know these words.

Zeroignite
Commencing Countdown, Engines On

Postby Zeroignite » Mon Feb 23, 2009 5:49 am UTC

I'm sort of between 1 and 2.
I shut the computer off every night or whenever I leave the house (expect when I'm downloading something I'm impatient about), but am pretty bad about turning it off if I want to go, say, read for a few hours. Fortunately it sleeps itself after about an hour of inactivity.

Oh, and tangent but: Screeensavers are worse than useless.
She/her/hers
Avatar sketched by Hazel / drawn by Amii

'; DROP DATABASE;--

Postby '; DROP DATABASE;-- » Mon Feb 23, 2009 9:26 am UTC

It's on 24/7 so that it can function as an alarm clock, receive IMs, and be SSHed into from school.
poxic wrote:You suck. And simultaneously rock. I think you've invented a new state of being.

Mzyxptlk

Postby Mzyxptlk » Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:24 am UTC

My PC is usually on 24/7, even if I'm away for a weekend. I play a game that relies heavily on IRC, which requires a fair bit of activity. I don't like to miss out on certain meta-game events that occur when I'm asleep, so I keep it running. I also have an IRC bot that naturally requires 24/7 uptime, and have 50 torrents seeding in uTorrent. At the moment however, I put my PC to sleep at night because I am temporarily without net access due to moving.

Anecdotal evidence: my previous computer has been on pretty much continuously (rebooting once every 2 weeks) for close to 4 years, during which time only my cheap power supply died, once.
"Once upon a time, an infinite number of people lived perfect, blissful, eternal lives."

ian

Postby ian » Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:29 am UTC

Where is the sometimes option? My laptop can be quite noisey and is my bedroom, so tend to shut down if it's not doing anything, but not always.

imontheroof

Postby imontheroof » Mon Feb 23, 2009 11:20 am UTC

The G4 Cubes are on 24/7 acting as file servers (fanless with SSDs, make awesome servers).

Other than that the iMac and the MacBook (henceforth to be known as the 'SmashBook', guess why) are turned off occasionally when the sleep button is too faraway. They mostly sleep though. Why bother booting up hen you could wake from sleep?

codyhotel

Postby codyhotel » Mon Feb 23, 2009 3:07 pm UTC

Zeroignite wrote:I'm sort of between 1 and 2.
I shut the computer off every night or whenever I leave the house (expect when I'm downloading something I'm impatient about), but am pretty bad about turning it off if I want to go, say, read for a few hours. Fortunately it sleeps itself after about an hour of inactivity.

Oh, and tangent but: Screeensavers are worse than useless.

But, the screensavers are so bright, and colorful! And Pretty!

I digress. Off at night, on in the morning, Hibernation during the day if I'm on battery and moving around at school.
Philwelch wrote:Would a prostitution enthusiast be a buy-sexual?

...sorry.

Tautology

Postby Tautology » Mon Feb 23, 2009 3:50 pm UTC

Having a laptop and usually having the charger stolen by a sibling, my laptop tends to shut itself down without my assistance. When I had a computer, I turned it on when I needed it and turned it off again when I was done. However, having a laptop makes me lazier, and half the time I just let it hibernate, feeling only moderately guilty about the battery.

Berengal
Superabacus Mystic of the First Rank

Postby Berengal » Wed Feb 25, 2009 6:01 am UTC

I use my computer as a space heater. Since most people, including me, would like their computers to not really be good space heaters, I have to leave it on all the time.

Zeroignite wrote:Oh, and tangent but: Screeensavers are worse than useless.

They're nice for burning megahurtz when it's especially cold.
It is practically impossible to teach good programming to students who are motivated by money: As potential programmers they are mentally mutilated beyond hope of regeneration.

idlehandsrome18

Postby idlehandsrome18 » Wed Feb 25, 2009 7:27 am UTC

Electric sheep is better than sex.

I turn my desktop off whenever I'm not going to use it for a long period of time. Laptop is always on though.
My webcomic:

Toeofdoom
The (Male) Skeleton Guitarist

Postby Toeofdoom » Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:23 pm UTC

"Hey, what's that shared folder? Electric sheep? Is that a game?"
"It's my 15GB screensaver, it's awesome"
"..."

I turn my computer off when I'm not going to be using it for an hour or more
Hawknc wrote:Gotta love our political choices here - you can pick the unionised socially conservative party, or the free-market even more socially conservative party. Oh who to vote for…I don't know, I think I'll just flip a coin and hope it explodes and kills me.

Website

e946

Postby e946 » Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:00 pm UTC

My GPU fan is kind of noisy, so I put it to sleep when I go to bed, otherwise it's on all the time.

ash.gti

Re: Do you shut your superabacus down at night?

Postby ash.gti » Wed Feb 25, 2009 11:57 pm UTC

As a mobile user (MacBook and MacBook Pro are my to main computers) I turn mine off if I won't need it again for more than 4-6 hours, otherwise if I know I'll need it again reasonably soon I just put it to sleep.
# drinks WAY to much espresso

Zeroignite

Postby Zeroignite » Thu Feb 26, 2009 1:35 am UTC

idlehandsrome18 wrote:

Electric sheep is better than sex.

I turn my desktop off whenever I'm not going to use it for a long period of time. miniabacus is always on though.
It was cool, but I never got the resloution to scale (looked like crap), and the downloads were all buggery.
She/her/hers

Solt

Postby Solt » Thu Feb 26, 2009 8:59 am UTC

I think superabacus should be the new name for comp.uter.

In any case, I remember an article about power cycling not really being a problem for computers unless you're looking to use them for more than 10 years or something. On the other hand, there are servers which can handle booting up maybe 10, 15 times before they crap out.
"Welding was faster, cheaper and, in theory,
produced a more reliable product. But sailors do
not float on theory, and the welded tankers had a
most annoying habit of splitting in two."
-J.W. Morris

adunebutt

Postby adunebutt » Thu Feb 26, 2009 5:30 pm UTC

I usually leave mine on all day and just wake it up when I need to use it. On the note of starting vs. keeping a computer on, I've had my main desktop for about 5 years now and I have shut it down less than 20 times and it still runs beautifully.

DivideByZero

Computer On vs Off

Postby DivideByZero » Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:31 am UTC

I have a new (2007) computer with 4GB RAM and it has intel quad core with one of the best graphics cards. Its also a 64-bit computer if that helps in answering my following question.

What are the disadvantages for keeping my computer turned on for weeks?

My computer also sleeps and saves power when not in use.
The monitor as well automatically shuts off when not in use.

I would like to keep my computer on and only turn it off one night a week.

Zeroignite

Postby Zeroignite » Wed Mar 04, 2009 5:34 am UTC

*Increased power usage over actually off, even in sleep mode.
    *Possible shortened life of components, esp. hard drives and fans.
    *Increased dust buildup necessitating more frequent cleaning
    *Noise may be bothersome.
23/64 bit OS doesn't affect the situation-- Windows will kill itself if it needs a rest. Why do you think you need a week's worth of continuous uptime?
She/her/hers

EdgarJPublius
Official Propagandi.... Nifty Poster Guy

Postby EdgarJPublius » Wed Mar 04, 2009 9:27 am UTC

I usually leave my computer on overnight if I suspect I'm gonna want to get on in the morning, but generally turn it off at night.

I've been leaving it on a lot more since my laptop started crapping out, usually I get on my laptop if I want to computer in the morning.
Roosevelt wrote:
I wrote:Does Space Teddy Roosevelt wrestle Space Bears and fight the Space Spanish-American War with his band of Space-volunteers the Space Rough Riders?

Yes.

-still unaware of the origin and meaning of his own user-title

b.i.o
Green is the loneliest number

Postby b.i.o » Thu Mar 05, 2009 7:05 am UTC

My desktop stays on during the day since it is my file server and I frequently access it from elsewhere on campus. My laptop is on only if I'm actively doing something with it, and off otherwise.

Anubis

Postby Anubis » Thu Mar 05, 2009 8:23 am UTC

When my laptop is plugged in, it is always on. When it is on battery, it automatically hibernates but I never keep it off the charger long enough to necessitate actually shutting it down. I reboot it when I install updates, and that's about it.

GuitarFreak

Postby GuitarFreak » Thu Mar 05, 2009 9:52 pm UTC

I leave mine on 24/7. The only time I shut it off/restart is when I'm overclocking, installing drivers, or upgrading. I had about 8 or 9 days of uptime before I shut it off to put the water cooling stuff in.
Cooler than a bose-einstein condensate
Bakemaster wrote:I went to high school with a girl whose middle name was Nguyen and whose last name was Huynh. It was a win-win situation.

Adacore

Postby Adacore » Thu Mar 05, 2009 10:50 pm UTC

A mixture of all the above, for me. Sometimes I leave it on 24/7 for up to a week, other times I leave it on overnight but turn it off when I go out to work (having it pre-booted so I can check the interwebs and mail really quick before I run out the door is helpful too), most of the time though I turn it off overnight but leave it on (if it's on already) when I go out. Sometimes I just use the laptop and the computer goes for days without being turned on at all...

So, err... all of the first three (I never sleep it)?

EDIT: I always used to leave it on 24/7 all the time (I subscribe to the lower stress on startup/shutdown theory), but now I'm living in a houseshare and we're splitting the electricity bill I can't really do that without feeling guilty.

Carnildo

Postby Carnildo » Fri Mar 06, 2009 5:03 am UTC

GuitarFreak wrote:I leave mine on 24/7. The only time I shut it off/restart is when I'm overclocking, installing drivers, or upgrading. I had about 8 or 9 days of uptime before I shut it off to put the water cooling stuff in.

$ uptime
21:01:55 up 102 days, 14:24, 4 users, load average: 0.57, 0.53, 0.47

It was over 500 days before the UPS failure rebooted it.

Waldo

Postby Waldo » Sat Mar 07, 2009 1:09 am UTC

Depends on the computer. I alway shut my desktop off at night unless I'm pulling an all-nighter. The damn thing sounds like a small jet aircraft when it gets warm. My laptops both sleep when I'm not using them.
[Signature pending...]

Æshættr

Postby Æshættr » Sat Mar 07, 2009 9:19 pm UTC

For me, it depends on the computer. Right now I'm living very far away from my desktop, so I just use WOL to turn it on when I need to transfer files to/from it. Since I rarely use it from over here, I just turn it off instead of bothering with sleep mode. My laptop is a different story. I usually just sleep my laptop when I'm not using it, since I usually like it to turn on quickly when I wake up in the morning. So this puts me in the non-existent otter/duck/mixed category.

Kind of an aside: If you're one of the people who leaves their computers on all night just so that it's ready in the morning, you might want to look into BIOS settings, since some computers support waking on a scheduled time of day. Or, if you have a DD-Wrt compatible router, you can edit the crontab file in a flashed router to issue WOL packets on a more complex schedule (this is what I plan on doing at some point.)

Angelbaka

Postby Angelbaka » Sat Mar 07, 2009 9:48 pm UTC

I leave mine on all the time (alarm/jukebox/space heater/file server) but turn of monitors and periphrials (excepting soundsystem) when I'm not using it. I've had sleep mode melt processors (still don't know why) but because of that I don't trust it and go bat shit when people do it to my computer. Also, my boot sector is unstable so I try to avoid turning it off. :D
Yes, I know Angelbaka is a bastardy combination of English and Japanese. Yes, you hate romanji. No, I don't care. Yes, I'm an asshole. Yes, I'm a fool. Don't like it? Get a mod to ban me for one of the many stupid things I will do.

Doodle77

Postby Doodle77 » Sun Mar 08, 2009 4:55 am UTC

I shut my main computer off at night unless i'm in the middle of something and i don't feel like hibernating. I have a tendency to leave my laptop on though.

Lardman

Postby Lardman » Tue Mar 10, 2009 1:12 pm UTC

Never.

Folding@Home 24/7 on my PC,
Planning to split it into a Fileserver / gaming platform setup.

Monitors and lights in my room are all on timed on/off, with plans to setup automated (computer controlled) lights. Home automation projects are fun!

sio

Postby sio » Tue Mar 10, 2009 1:22 pm UTC

Depends on the box. Fileserver's up 24/7, because the whole family uses it and I can't rely on them being asleep when I am. One of my desktops is also on pretty much 24/7, because I use it from school. My other desktop gets shut down semi-regularly. Laptop is always off unless I'm using it.

canoemoose

Postby canoemoose » Tue Mar 10, 2009 8:11 pm UTC

Hmm. I seem to fit into the "smlerge" category.

My laptop is nearly always left on suspend, except if I get a kernel update. I update last thing in the evening, so if I do get one, I shut it down and boot it up again the next day when I need it. The BIOS is fuct (Failed under constant testing; ought be in the "Acronyms" thread) anyway, so about 50% of the time it doesn't recognise the hard drive on boot.

The family desktop is shut down every evening and turned back on again when needed the next day.

To my extreme exasperation my parents insist my server gets shut down in the evening and turned on again when da interwebz are required the next day. It's a combined fileserver/DHCP server/LAN DNS server/Internet gateway running Linux.

When I've had time to finish putting my media centre together, it'll live on suspend so telly can be watched without a wait.
22/Male/Female/Single/Yep
(Age/Gender/Interested in/Status/Don't you hate people who just jump on the bandwagon)

Windows 7, Server 2008R2, Ubuntu, Android, iOS user

Sana

Postby Sana » Sat Mar 14, 2009 7:53 am UTC

My only computer is my laptop, which I only briefly shut down when software installations or updates require a reboot. Hell, during my transition from my laptop before this one to this one, I used to keep both on for no reason at all. I rarely turn off anything. My Xbox 360 has been on for months, I'm pretty sure Wii is on as well, the cable box is on, the router is on, my cell phone is on, my printer is on.

I once left my laptop on, and signed into AIM (I never sign out), when I went on vacation for three weeks.

CrunchyFoodstuff

Postby CrunchyFoodstuff » Sat Mar 14, 2009 12:24 pm UTC

My eMac sleeps a lot, except during holidays and whenever I'm not there for more than 4 days. Then it's switched off. My Powerbook sleeps a lot, too. I usually switch it off when it isn't used for a longer time, mainly because sleep still drains the battery after a few days.

My old PC is always switched off after use, mainly because it tends to end up in a coma whenever it's put to sleep (harddisks won't wake up until after a reboot...)

Ubik

Postby Ubik » Sat Mar 14, 2009 12:35 pm UTC

My answer is yes and no. I shut down the desktop because suspend doesn't work (likely an Ati driver issue) and my server stays always on. I just replaced the broken motherboard of the server machine, I wonder if it didn't like the combination of quiet/lacking cooling and the heat caused by continuous stress of BOINC calculations.

pyroman

Postby pyroman » Fri Mar 20, 2009 12:29 am UTC

depends. While i am up at school i leave it on all the time as i use it as a file server when i am over at class. However when i am at home and i have to pay for electricity i try to turn it off when i wont be using it for a while
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Benjamin Franklin

Philwelch

Postby Philwelch » Wed Mar 25, 2009 6:51 am UTC

The MacBook runs continuously, though the display does go to sleep after a delay, and it sleeps when I close it for transport.

The work PC is shut down when I'm not there—I only work two days a week (full time student part time intern) and I don't want to keep software licenses in use while I'm not working and possibly inconvenience someone who needs them.
Fascism: If you're not with us you're against us.
Leftism: If you're not part of the solution you're part of the problem.

Perfection is an unattainable goal.

Gojoe

Postby Gojoe » Wed Mar 25, 2009 7:04 am UTC

My laptop is always on. I know it shouldn't be. But i usually do my heavy downloading while I am asleep. Then when I wake up, I stop seeding (assuming i hit a good ratio). Then I get to work, and leave my computer on for reasons. Then i get home use it. Then start downloading at night.
michaelandjimi wrote:Oh Mr Gojoe
I won't make fun of your mojo.
Though in this fora I serenade you
I really only do it to aid you.
*Various positive comments on your masculinity
That continue on into infinity*

Feeble accompanying guitar.

GCM

Postby GCM » Wed Mar 25, 2009 4:22 pm UTC

Needs a hibernate-when-not-used option. =P

Because that's what I do. Been trying to shut it down instead as of late, though. Is leaving it on the entire time really any better for it?
All warfare is based on heavily-armed robotic commandos.
~Sun Tzu

Notes: My last avatar was "Vote Robot Nixon", so I'm gonna keep a list here. :D

Return to “Hardware”