To make life better...

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

TodayIsTomorrow

To make life better...

Postby TodayIsTomorrow » Sun Feb 22, 2009 4:41 pm UTC

I'm going to tell all of you reading this to do something. Regardless of the fact that you don't know me, that you will in all likelihood never meet me, you'll think about doing what I tell you to do.

To you out there, I am nothing but a name and words on your screen. A faceless entity of ones and zero's stored on a hard drive somewhere in the world. To you, I am no one.

Despite this, you will make a choice when you read these words. It is a choice to do something for yourself.

You reading this, this is your chance to get out while you still can, without making the choice I am about to pose to you. If you don't wish to make a choice based on the words of a stranger, close this out and never look upon it again. Those more adventurous among you, read on.

You now have one week. During this week, you are to go out into the world and leave your inhibitions and excuses behind. If someone offers to do something with you, do it. If you have an opportunity to do something, do it. It doesn't matter whether you think you will enjoy it or not. Embrace the unknown and step outside of the box you have created around yourself. Go into the world and live. Experience as much as you can in one week. Do everything you can possibly do on your own, and do more with people. Friends or otherwise.

Now comes the choice. What I have told you to do is so outside the grasp of most people, that there is no fathoming actually doing it. Those precious few that even think about it though, might just do something new, meet someone they wouldn't have talked to otherwise, taste something exquisite, feel something more intensely than they ever have. These few will have lived a fuller life than those that do not.

Now that the idea is in your head, you have until tonight to decide,, and I do hope that you at least give it a shot, even if for a day. Life is about experiences. Living is learning, and you can't learn without doing anything.

Cheers.
Freedom is letting go of that which, truly, does not matter.

Nemphael

Re: To make life better...

Postby Nemphael » Sun Feb 22, 2009 5:54 pm UTC

So, have you been watching Yes Man?

Anyway, this does sound interesting.

Not Bernard

Postby Not Bernard » Sun Feb 22, 2009 5:56 pm UTC

Well...I'm in! :D

I attempt to do this as it is, but a little more adventure never killed anyone...well, I lie, it probably did, but that's not the point.

How about some assigned tasks? Nothing too difficult, just simple things, like walking barefoot for a day.

Mr.RobLikesBrunch

Postby Mr.RobLikesBrunch » Sun Feb 22, 2009 6:25 pm UTC

No thanks, I'd rather be a recluse and hate everything.

ian

Postby ian » Sun Feb 22, 2009 6:31 pm UTC

Can't. Gotta go to work.

Mr.RobLikesBrunch

Postby Mr.RobLikesBrunch » Sun Feb 22, 2009 6:35 pm UTC

ian wrote:Can't. Gotta go to work.

His whole idea is just to simply fuck work and go and do this thing he calls living. Whatever that is.

Are you expecting us to reenact Into the Wild?

On a more serious note, I understand exactly what you are saying, but generally, you need to time doing stuff like this. You can't simply decide you want to experience and "live" during the middle of a school/work week, but you can say it during a summer vacation or something like that- otherwise, you'll just fuck yourself over when you come back to "reality".

ian

Postby ian » Sun Feb 22, 2009 6:37 pm UTC

But then how am I going to get paid?

Not Bernard

Postby Not Bernard » Sun Feb 22, 2009 6:41 pm UTC

I don't think he's saying "stop working", "stop going to school" or "stop conversing with your spouse", rather, don't just do the same old same old because it's easy.

If you don't anyway, or do and don't care and can't be persuaded, well, move along, nothing to see here.

Personally, I think it's a good idea. In the spirit of xkcd, really.

z4lis

Postby z4lis » Sun Feb 22, 2009 6:43 pm UTC

If I did everything anyone suggested to me for a week, I'd probably end up taking so many drugs I'd have no idea what happened. Other than that, sounds great. :D
What they (mathematicians) define as interesting depends on their particular field of study; mathematical anaylsts find pain and extreme confusion interesting, whereas geometers are interested in beauty.

the tree

Postby the tree » Sun Feb 22, 2009 7:17 pm UTC

Currently my inhibitions are in the form of an overdraft limit and the fact that my attendance to classes is being watched, can't really get past those.

Nemphael

Postby Nemphael » Sun Feb 22, 2009 7:22 pm UTC

Not Bernard wrote:How about some assigned tasks? Nothing too difficult, just simple things, like walking barefoot for a day.
Yay, styLe! I've done this for the last week. <3 But I've been at home the whole time, though. Holidays~ Besides, hadn't it been for the snow, I'd might do it. EDIT: Forgot to mention I stung my foot on a piece of metal. Yoghurt. >:

Rhombulus

Postby Rhombulus » Sun Feb 22, 2009 9:04 pm UTC

See, I'd be all over this if I didn't know that I'd sit there and play guitar and write songs for a week and get absolutely NOTHING done.
I'll give it a whirl after the homework's done and after my room doesn't look like a pigsty. Decluttering, woo.
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's own ignorance." - Confucius

"The most powerful weapon in the hands of the oppressor is the mind of the oppressed" - Steve Biko

http://www.last.fm/user/4x4Grimreaper

Not Bernard

Postby Not Bernard » Sun Feb 22, 2009 10:19 pm UTC

I hope you're being ironic, Rhombulus :wink:

Give it a try, The Tree. The whole point is to throw yourself in at the deep end.

Have a good week everyone, however you choose to spend it.

Schmut

Postby Schmut » Sun Feb 22, 2009 10:29 pm UTC

I've intended to do this anyways, for the final twenty days before I turn twenty which, coincidentally, start tomorrow. There are some constraints in that I am lacking money and have an abundance of coursework... Though in a way I have already started by saying yes to attending a script writer's conference this Thursday and Friday; not exactly the wreckless behaviour of my teen years which I've just spent some time documenting but it is an experience. Experiences are what I'm living for and the more of those I have the greater diversity I shall be able to write into my works. This is very beneficial for me.

TodayIsTomorrow

Postby TodayIsTomorrow » Mon Feb 23, 2009 12:27 am UTC

To be honest, it was something our social studies teacher assigned us way back when somewhere in the middle of the '90's, but "Yes Man" brought it all back.

I'm not saying to completely ditch your job or school or whatever else you are required to do on a daily basis. I'm saying to simply take a look at the things you do and don't do, and expand on the former. Go out and try something new, talk to people, expand your world from what it is.

Assigned tasks sound like a good way to get everything started, so we'll start with an easy one. Everyone has a restaurant or a shop they always look at when they pass. Go into that shop or restaurant and try something. Anything that catches your eye, or even better, ask the clerk or a random person in the place what's good. Try it, give it an honest go.

Report back with your experiences, good, bad, or interesting.

I'm going to go try a Thai place I keep passing by for another day.

Cheers
Freedom is letting go of that which, truly, does not matter.

Dingbats

Postby Dingbats » Mon Feb 23, 2009 12:49 am UTC

I can't afford to waste money, I've got work to do, I'm tired and rationalizing the familiar is easy. Sorry.

'; DROP DATABASE;--

Postby '; DROP DATABASE;-- » Mon Feb 23, 2009 9:19 am UTC

Yeah, I'd like to, but that place is expensive and I don't have money.
poxic wrote:You suck. And simultaneously rock. I think you've invented a new state of being.

Verysillyman
"Do me! Do me!"

Postby Verysillyman » Mon Feb 23, 2009 9:42 am UTC

the tree wrote:Currently my inhibitions are in the form of an overdraft limit and the fact that my attendance to classes is being watched, can't really get past those.

Those are my key barriers too! :P

mrbaggins

Postby mrbaggins » Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:03 pm UTC

I started doing this off and on after my ex left me. Made life a lot easier.
Why is it that 4chan is either infinitely awesome, infinitely bad, or "lolwut", but never any intermediary level?

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Wed Feb 25, 2009 5:22 am UTC

Mr.RobLikesBrunch wrote:No thanks, I'd rather be a recluse and hate everything.
Your ideas intrigue me and I would like to subscribe to your newsletter.

There's a quote from Joe versus the Volcano that has stuck in my mind since I came across it a while ago. (Hey, there's something different: maybe I'll finally watch that dang movie all the way through. Goodness knows it's been sitting unopened on my shelf for long enough.)
John Patrick Shanley wrote:My father says that almost the whole world is asleep. Everybody you know. Everybody you see. Everybody you talk to. He says that only a few people are awake and they live in a state of constant total amazement.
See, the problem with this is that to live in a state of constant total amazement is downright exhausting. I question whether it is possible to do so for any reasonable length of time and still be a functional human being (never mind a functional member of society), without being completely overwhelmed by the unending, nigh-painful flood of total amazement. I think it's overrated. Sleep will do nicely.

Not sure if that's relevant to the conversation at hand, but it came to mind when reading the OP.

Lord Aurora

Postby Lord Aurora » Wed Feb 25, 2009 5:43 am UTC

I sure as hell will NOT be listening to a goddam seagull.
Decker wrote:Children! Children! There's no need to fight. You're ALL stupid.

ParanoidAndroid

Postby ParanoidAndroid » Wed Feb 25, 2009 7:44 am UTC

Maybe if he shares the starfish?

Bobber
contains Disodium Phosphate

Postby Bobber » Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:34 am UTC

I'll do it for not a week, but over a month. In the summer, though. I don't have time right now.
I don't twist the truth, I just make it complex.
mrbaggins wrote:There are two tools in life, duct tape and WD40. If it moves and shouldn't, use the tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.

Lord Aurora

Postby Lord Aurora » Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:44 pm UTC

ParanoidAndroid wrote:Maybe if he shares the starfish?
Did he bring enough for everyone?
Decker wrote:Children! Children! There's no need to fight. You're ALL stupid.

Dimetrodon

Postby Dimetrodon » Thu Feb 26, 2009 1:30 am UTC

Lord Aurora wrote:
ParanoidAndroid wrote:Maybe if he shares the starfish?
Did he bring enough for everyone?

At least enough for 5.

No, but seriously, I always enjoy thinking like this, and try to remind myself to. Yay for odd choices!
Spoiler:

Fear my mammalian skull, my efficient heat-regulating sail, and my two rows of teeth.

Return to “General”