New year, new Moo! (New choc cake recipe added 21 May)

The Food Forum's Evil Twin. Trying to lose weight or get in shape? Tips, encouragement, status reports, and so forth go here.
Disclaimer: Unless otherwise stated, we are not health professionals. Take advice with salt.

Moderators: Mighty Jalapeno, Moderators General, Prelates

Moo
Oh man! I'm going to be so rebellious! I'm gonna...

Re: New year,new Moo/South Beach (previously "Unhealthy weight")

Postby Moo » Tue Jan 20, 2009 3:39 pm UTC

Thanks blue*! I tend to be quite OCD about planning meals anyway, so that helps.

I noticed an interesting thing today. It's amazing just how strong the habit has formed in my mind to eat. I went on an errand at lunch time (after having eaten my very satisfying lunch in the office). As I was driving down the highstreet, my brain immediately went to the pub that has the awesome chips. I dismissed it. Then I parked, right near that newsagent that sells the Ritter Sport chocolates with whole hazelnuts. I actually started turning that way before I realised. It happens without me knowing, it's become such a habit with me. As soon as I realised what I was doing I actually said out loud "stop it!" and went on my way to the pharmacy. It wasn't hard and I don't feel cheated, but it really amazed me. My unhealthy relationship with food has gone way, way too far.

Here's what I ate/will eat today, if anyone's interested; it's going quite well so far. No hunger, no cravings (thank you, satisfying and delicious nuts!), no urge to break diet. I know the first day is easy because it's still a novelty but this feels good.

Food diary, Tue 20 January
Spoiler:
Breakfast: 2 egg omelette with spring onions and low fat cheese; glass of tomato juice
Morning snack(s): coffee upon getting to work**; 15 macadamia nut halves (the book says 15 almonds but I don't like almonds); cucumber sticks with homemade hummus
Lunch: Salad (lettuce, spring onion, red pepper and a small amount of sesame seeds) with chicken (shop bought roast chicken breast slices) and dressing (I thought I'd make it chinese-y so soy sauce, toasted sesame oil and dried ground ginger - SOO good, I'm using sesame oil instead of olive oil every time I can from now on! Book says olive oil and balsamic vinegar but this must be equivalent.)
Afternoon snack: 10 cherry tomatoes, 2 laughing cow light cheese wedges
Dinner: Chicken breasts marinated in soy, ginger, spring onion and sweetener (I'm in a soy kinda mood), grilled, with brocolli and snow peas. Maybe a salad depending on how hungry we are.
Dessert: I probably won't have any but if I feel like something else I'll have fat free plain yoghurt with sweetener and cinnamon, an old favourite of mine.

**I'm going to limit myself to one or at most two cups of caffienated drink a day as it stimulates insulin production, apparently, but the book says with all these foods cut out they won't do it to you to take away your coffee too!.

*Hope you don't mind!
Proverbs 9:7-8 wrote:Anyone who rebukes a mocker will get an insult in return. Anyone who corrects the wicked will get hurt. So don't bother correcting mockers; they will only hate you.
Hawknc wrote:FFT: I didn't realise Proverbs 9:7-8 was the first recorded instance of "haters gonna hate"

BiancaBlack

Postby BiancaBlack » Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:29 pm UTC

From the food diary, it sounds like today was a good day :) Yay you!

What you said about eating being a habit definitely made sense to me, I have similar problems. The question I guess is how to change one's habits. I feel like when I try to change my behavior I can do it on pure willpower for a while, but it never really becomes a habit, I never do it sort of instinctively. Anyone have any thoughts on how to do this more easily? Or do you just have to use your willpower to keep doing it until you can't imagine not acting this way anymore? *sigh*
This one time at, er, space camp...

Moo

Postby Moo » Wed Jan 21, 2009 11:14 am UTC

Bianca, I think it needs a two pronged attack.

ONE: changing the physical habit. THIS BIT IS NOTHING BUT HEARSAY AND "SOMEONE ONCE TOLD ME" AND "I HEARD IT ON THE RADIO, I THINK" stuff. Big ole [citation needed]. Please anyone correct me if you are educated in this stuff. Anyway. I have heard that habits are physical patterns that get set in our neural pathways. I have also heard that it takes two weeks of actively changing your behaviour to break a habit. So I think sticking with something for a while out of sheer willpower is important. I have found that more than two weeks is necessary though for something I've been doing every day for most of my life. But I have had good eating habits become a way of life for me in the past. I just didn't (oh my gosh revalation as I was typing this) loved myself enough to stick to it.

TWO: the root of the issue. Why do we overeat? If I knew this I think my journey would be so much easier. I visited a hypno therapist for 10 very, very expensive sessions and no visible benefit. I was really hoping he could help me get to the bottom of that question but he didn't dig very deep; made an assumption based on one set of (fully waking) questions and then concentrated on that for the rest of the time. The best I can come up with is low self esteem especially in childhood/teens; being rewarded with food as a kid (and love and stuff, but definitely food, add to that a mother that shows her love by cooking for you); and a lifetime of letting those things get me into the habit of eating for emotional comfort, as a reward and when I'm bored. So I think knowing why you do what you do, you can address those problems or find other ways (like rewarding yourself with flowers or a book instead of a pastry). I haven't made much headway in this part though. I just went to edit the above paragraph and realised something so I have to add that I also think I eat as a punishment (I don't deserve to be thin/pretty/healthy) which is probably closely related to low self esteem - which I have made huge progress with in my life but inside my outgoing bubbly chocolate shell is still a soft centre of insecurity that influences me subconsciously.

Woah. Revelations and stuff.

I weighed myself this morning. Weight on 21 January 2009:
Spoiler:
94.9kg / 209.2 lbs / 14.94 stone
(edited to fix the imperial; I know better than to trust the first online converter I try!)

Yesterday went well and I stuck to everything; even though I had church cell where we usually eat at whoever's house it's at. I said not to cook for me and that I'd probably be a little late and ate my (awesome, awesome) soy chicken and veg stirfry before going. I didn't have any of the hotdogs they were still eating when I got there and (unusual for me) didn't even find it hard to avoid the cookies they served with coffee. Probably due to it being early on in my plan but whatever, I'm still taking it as a victory :) Haven't made time for gym yet though. Really need to address that next.
Last edited by Moo on Mon Jan 26, 2009 10:45 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Proverbs 9:7-8 wrote:Anyone who rebukes a mocker will get an insult in return. Anyone who corrects the wicked will get hurt. So don't bother correcting mockers; they will only hate you.
Hawknc wrote:FFT: I didn't realise Proverbs 9:7-8 was the first recorded instance of "haters gonna hate"

Moo

Postby Moo » Wed Jan 21, 2009 3:01 pm UTC

I don't think I've packed enough snacks today. That is what I get for thinking I can give celery a second chance. Bah. Hope the rest of the day goes ok.

Moo

Postby Moo » Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:00 am UTC

Rest of the day went ok in the end.

Food diary, Wed 21 Jan
Spoiler:
Breakfast: 3 ham roll-ups (ham, lettuce and a slice of light processed cheese with a bit of mustard rolled around a stick of red pepper)
Snack: coffee; red pepper sticks with hummus
Lunch: Salad with cheese and balsamic/olive oil dressing (too uninspiring, must improve next time)
Snack: 30 pistachios; 1 light cheese wedge (was going to have celery but realised I hate celery).
Dinner: 3-egg omelette with ham, low fat cheese, mushrooms and spring onion; glass of milk

I need to drink more water. Gym is still not happening (I honestly don't have the time; I have an exam to study for and I still haven't even finished unpacking! Leaving work very late every night because I have a lot of admin to do when I've finished my work work, both personal and professional).

Still, I'm feeling quite confident. My mental energy seems to be lagging by late afternoon but my friend on Atkins assures me that he felt that way for two or three days and then started feeling FANTASTIC (hi, T, if you're reading this!). So here's hoping.

Ledah

Postby Ledah » Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:44 pm UTC

Nice going! Confidence is the key, keep at it. I'm sure it'll be much more fun in some time when results show up. Also, I agree with the water thing. At least 1.5L every day; at the very least, it will keep you from getting those VERY painful kidney stones

Moo

Postby Moo » Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:51 pm UTC

:shock:

*gulps down a glass full*

psyck0

Postby psyck0 » Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:00 pm UTC

Don't focus on staying hydrated. Just drink when you're thirsty. A lot of people get unnecessarily uptight over water. Keeping perfectly hydrated is only important in the heat or strenuous exercise.

Moo

Postby Moo » Thu Jan 22, 2009 9:33 pm UTC

Thanks for the input. I used to drink about a liter a day excluding hot drinks etc, then I let that go right down. I know I prefer drinking that much water so I'll concentrate on getting back up to that (I was down to, maybe two glasses a day? Didn't feel right) but I won't try for more than that.

Finding conflicting things on t'internet about whether the 2 week initial phase is enough to induce ketosis (which is not in of itself a bad thing, it just can lead to bad things, but it does mean the body uses up fat reserves for energy).

Moo

Postby Moo » Fri Jan 23, 2009 11:32 am UTC

Food diary, Thur 23 Jan:
Spoiler:
Breakfast: left over omelette from the night before that I didn't finish (so prob about 1 egg's worth) with ham and veg, and a little spinach cooked with tomato
Snacks: coffee, handful of mixed nuts, snow peas with hummus
Lunch: went to lunch with a colleague. Could have had the salad but that place's salad is soooo boring and I'm not a big fan as it is, so I had an all day breakfast. Scrambled eggs, some of the bacon, mushrooms and tomato, no toast or anything, and a peppermint tea. Not *too*bad, I think.
Dinner: chicken curry: chicken, spices, sweet peppers and mushrooms and a little tomato; cauliflower on the side. It was very good!

We're going for dinner tonight at a friend's house and staying over, but it's the friend on Atkins so it works out brilliantly. And anyway they're both some of my oldest and dearest friends so I don't mind asking them to leave out the saturated fats and that kind of thing (normally I wouldn't because it feels rude so I would rather have suggested going to a steak house or something). I am going to be drinking some red wine, I hope that doesn't cause more damage to my progress than I am bargaining for (red wine is allowed in phase II but not in phase I where you shouldn't have ANY sugars).

Artemisia

Postby Artemisia » Fri Jan 23, 2009 6:48 pm UTC

Hope the wine doesn't kick in amazingly hard! carbs are filling, which is good to have before drinking, and you're not having those..

Anyway, girl, keep up the good work :)
I'll be there and supportive when you need me. I will also be there and supportive when you don't need me, nagging about how things are going and trying to help you stick to it. Also ask you how you feel, because that's also important of course. I will remind you of drinking water. Water is important because during diets (so I've heard) you get rid of toxics, and those have to, well, get plenty of opportunity to leave your body.

Also, drinking is generally good for your body. 70% of it IS water. Only when you drink excessive amounts (>7 liters) you could actually damage your body, so uhm, maybe in phase I it's not a bad idea to drink 2 litres if you can in stead of one. Fill a 1 litre bottle, fill your water glass with that and make sure that you go for a refill mid-day.

I don't know about you but I always, ALWAYS forget drinking enough, and my energy level is just SO much lower than when I remember to use my water bottle and refill it frequently.

Good luck darling. I'm proud of you for doing this :)
This too shall pass

Angelene
relax, I'll handle the zippers

Postby Angelene » Sat Jan 24, 2009 1:53 am UTC

South Beach is a great diet. I did it eons ago and stuck to it rigidly, but a little too rigidly, couldn't manage to wean myself off phase 1 for fear of weight gain and got a little too skinny...I will advise to introduce carbs VERY GRADUALLY when transitioning to the next phase, start with low GI fruit and work from there, reassess if you actually want to start back on sugars and starches again...after two weeks without you'll have the worst of the withdrawal over you and for someone as insulin sensitive as you seem to be, you'd possibly benefit from a diet largely free of sugar/starch...it's very easy to all out binge once the floodgates open, but you seem to be doing remarkably well so I have faith in your will power. It usually takes me a few false starts before I can get past the first couple of days of a diet so to see you on track still earns you some kudos!

The good thing about south beach is that once you get to phase 3, it really is just about sensible eating, and it's a way of life...and I've to say in my mind at least easier to manage than the weight watching point counting system.
"Some people need a red carpet rolled out in front of them in order to walk forward into friendship. They can't see the tiny outstretched hands all around them, everywhere, like leaves on trees."

Moo

Postby Moo » Mon Jan 26, 2009 10:58 am UTC

Weight on Monday 26 January 2009:
Spoiler:
93.9 kg / 207 lbs / 14.8 stone
So that's a 1kg loss in the first week (2.2 lbs). I'm not attaching too much importance to that figure (my clothes don't feel much different yet) but it is very gratifying to see a quantified result for my commitment. So, yay.

Artemisia: <3 thanks for the support hun. You know I love that I can always count on you being supportive but never feeding me lip service and telling it like it is when I need it.

Angelene, thank you for sharing, it is very encouraging. The South Beach book I read says it happens very often that people find it hard to move from phase 1 to phase 2 for the exact reasons you mention. I will move onto phase 2 mostly because Hubby is trying really hard to do this with me but finding it difficult; a bit more variety and a bit less percieved restriction will probably help him a lot. I am however very aware of the benefits I'm feeling from no carbs (I cannot believe I've not had one serious craving or that I haven't once had to really fight against breaking out). I will do it very gradually indeed, and I'm so aware of GI atm I doubt I will introduce anything other than one slice of low GI bread (there's a little bakery near here that does a yummy low GI bread) and sweet potato. What it will mean for me more than anything else is relaxing the almost compulsive way I'm checking carb contents on labels and erring on the side of caution if in any doubt (while obviously still being sensible and following the food lists).

The weekend went well. I won't include the list of foods we ate but rest assured it was more of the same. Dinner with our friends went well. I had one glass of red which did go to my head a little quicker than usual but only a little. We also had breakfast there. The rest of the weekend I cooked the usual proteien+veg meals and we snacked on the usual nuts, plain yoghurt and salads, and I made a thai style vegetable broth on Saturday afternoon for comfort food. I also cooked some butter bean soup and curried cauliflower soup and froze in portions for us to have handy at work when we're hungry. By Sunday night I did experience a bit of my regular Sunday night snack craving attack so I had some nuts in a bowl of yoghurt and some tea, job done!

I'll be starting to exercise tonight.

I'm still very positive, and really impressed with how easy I've found it to stay on this plan. It does mean a lot of work though, preparing meals and planning out days and taking along portions of snack foods. It's a bit expensive, too, relying as heavily as it does on meat, cheese, eggs and veg. Luckily I enjoy cooking and am used to preparing my lunch for work in advance; I don't know how easy this would be on someone who doesn't cook (especially if that means you can't keep thinking up different meals with the limited list of ingredients at your disposal). If anyone's interested I can put some recipe ideas on here.

AngrySquirrel
Hellish Sex Goddess

Postby AngrySquirrel » Mon Jan 26, 2009 12:47 pm UTC

Moo wrote:If anyone's interested I can put some recipe ideas on here.

I am interested at least.

Edit: quote fail
Last edited by AngrySquirrel on Tue Jan 27, 2009 3:29 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Putting the fist into pacifist.

they/them/theirs

Moo

Postby Moo » Tue Jan 27, 2009 10:58 am UTC

OK, I'm working on typing a few out.

In other news - I'm working from home today and it's cold and this is doing bad things to my head. I keep feeling like I want to get up and wander over to the fridge. I have had nuts and I have had cheese wedges and I'm going to go make some tea now. I'll be DAMNED if I've put in a week's work and fuck it up now. I like being proud of myself. Still, it feels a bit crappy. Blah.

edit:
I think I'm ok now. I've worked out what I'm going to have for lunch and I made a "dessert" with an egg, some cocoa powder (we're allowed a little), sweetener, a touch of low fat diary cream substitute (Elmlea Light) and some chopped nuts. It's not masterpiece but it hits the spot.

Moo

Postby Moo » Mon Feb 02, 2009 2:15 pm UTC

I think I went through "induction flu" a few days ago, felt a bit funny and very lethargic, but I'm good now.

It's still going really well. Today is the last day on Phase I. I was at a 1st birthday party yesterday and wasn't even tempted by the three types of cake. I cannot emphasise enough how Old Moo would have given in without a question. I am loving this change to my cravings.

From tomorrow I will be adding, in very small quantities: strawberries, grapes, apples, low GI bread, sweet potatos and peas, I think. I'll see how it goes.

Weight on 2 February 2009:
Spoiler:
93kg / 205 lb*
*about. Two online converters say 204.6, two say 205.[something small]. What the hell?
Weight loss after 2 weeks: 1.9kg (4.2 lb). That's well below the 8-13 lb the book claims is the average loss after the first two weeks but frankly losing more than a kilo a week would feel alarming to me.

Now to see how the added starch effects my weight - you supposedly regulate how much to add back by seeing how it influences your weight loss.

One last thing, I feel the need for a confession, ok two.
1) I still havent' exercised (the claims of 8-13 lb are for no exercise too just for the record).
2) I'm eating a bit too much fat today. I've had more than my alloted amount of nuts and some half fat cream in my soup. It's the cold (I'm working from home because there's too much snow to drive).

I'm still more positive about my eating habits than I have been in, possibly, over a decade.

edit: ooooooh, South Beach desert of deliciousness! Ricotta, plain yoghurt, sweetener, cocoa powder, vanilla flavour, chopped pecans. Tastes a bit like tiramisu!

Token

Postby Token » Wed Feb 04, 2009 9:58 am UTC

Moo wrote:
Spoiler:
Two online converters say 204.6, two say 205.[something small]. What the hell?[/size]

The first approximates 1kg = 2.2lb, the second uses the exact conversion (or something closer to it, at least).
All posts are works in progress. If I posted something within the last hour, chances are I'm still editing it.

Moo

Postby Moo » Tue Feb 10, 2009 9:55 am UTC

?? I could have sworn I posted yesterday. *wonders if she's going mad or if the fora was rolled back*

Anyhoo.
Weight on Monday 9 February 2009
Spoiler:
92.1kg / 202.62* lb / 14.5 stone
*(using 2.2lb/kg for conversion)
So that's down 0.9kg this week, for a total of 2.8kg in three weeks. I'm amazed; I was sure that while I stuck to allowed foods I'd eaten too much of them on the days I was snowed in and working from home. Yay! My colleague says it looks like I've lost weight in my face.

We went out for lunch with friends on Saturday. I was very pleased with it all; I had a steak with veggies instead of chips or potato and really enjoyed it; it didn't feel like I was the odd person out eating diet food. I skipped dessert, although Hubby had both chips and cheesecake. About two hours later he was exhausted! He had such a sugar crash. While I wasn't *glad* he felt like that, it was kinda gratifying to see the theory of the diet in practise (I didn't have sugar or starch, so I kept my energy levels all day; Hubby indulged in momentary pleasure and saw the consequences).

I did have a hot cross bun on Friday evening. I was buttering buns and making sandwiches to take to an event and thought, I really love hot cross buns. If I'm going to have something as a treat this is what I would choose right now. I find it hard to describe why I feel good about the decision to have it but it felt different from "cheating". My head was in a different place. I thought it through, it wasn't an emotional reaction or an unhealthy urge. I enjoyed it and still stand by my decision. I didn't have any at the event I took them to and I haven't felt the need to have a treat since. I cannot describe how liberating it is to be able to break the hold food has always had on me like this and be the one in control.

Plasma Man
Location: Northampton, Northampton, Northampton middle England.

Postby Plasma Man » Wed Feb 11, 2009 5:19 pm UTC

I'm glad that things are going well for you Moo, it's really good that you're changing your attitude to food. I think I understand what you mean about the hot cross bun as well. It sounds like you knew you could say no, but you felt like you could afford to have it as a treat, then stop and not want any more.
Please note that despite the lovely avatar Sungura gave me, I am not a medical doctor.

Possibly my proudest moment on the fora.

Moo

Postby Moo » Mon Feb 16, 2009 9:15 am UTC

Weight on 16 February 2009:
Spoiler:
91.3kg / ~200 lb / ~14.4 stone
That's 0.8kg down.
Loss after 4 weeks: 3.6kg. My jeans feel a little looser this morning so that is much more valuable sign to me.

This weekend we had an xkcd Meetup Of Epicness and it involved eating out etc. I probably had a lot more fat than I should have but still didn't really have anything that would screw up my insulin. Even when I had had quite a few glasses of wine I still managed to keep it in mind rather than think "oh screw it, it's a special occassion" the way I would have in a previous mindset.

We went to a pub for lunch; I had a salad with steak strips and (full fat blue) cheese and dressing. We went to Coin's house for a great dinner so that was easy enough, since he was aware and considerate of my diet. I drank about 3 glasses of red wine. We went for lunch at the "Sausage and Mash" cafe the next day and I replaced the mash with brocolli.

I did have a few chocolate covered cashews yesterday but it was only a small handful.

All in all, I feel very good about this weekend. We'll see next week what effect it had on my weight loss.
Last edited by Moo on Thu Feb 19, 2009 12:31 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Plasma Man
Location: Northampton, Northampton, Northampton middle England.

Postby Plasma Man » Mon Feb 16, 2009 12:11 pm UTC

And you learned that you're light enough to be lifted onto someone's shoulders and be held there while they do squats.
Please note that despite the lovely avatar Sungura gave me, I am not a medical doctor.

Possibly my proudest moment on the fora.

Moo

Postby Moo » Mon Feb 16, 2009 1:05 pm UTC

:) this is true!!

Also, that I could be lifted and twirled around the room.

psyck0

Postby psyck0 » Mon Feb 16, 2009 6:10 pm UTC

Moo, that's some great weight loss. Keep it up! Just remember not to get discouraged when it starts to slow; that's the hardest part. Increase your exercise then to keep ploughing through and don't give up!

Moo

Postby Moo » Mon Feb 23, 2009 8:04 am UTC

Mmm, looks like I haven't lost much this week, which isn't really surprising, but the scale needs new batteries so I can't definitely say for sure exactly how much. Will report back once I bought new batteries.

Moo

Postby Moo » Tue Mar 03, 2009 10:21 am UTC

Bah, I'm up 200g from last recorded weight.

Time for a food diary again I think, I've been pretty lax. I've stuck more or less to the low carb ideal but not the low fat version.

I know I should be adding exercise but I am busier than I can cope with as it is and I don't care who thinks it sounds like an excuse, it isn't.

More later.

Moo

Postby Moo » Tue Mar 03, 2009 11:41 am UTC

Fuck; I've just eaten 3 cookies. I'm having some nuts now to bring down the GI.

Moo

Re: New year, new Moo! (South Beach diet) - new recipe

Postby Moo » Tue Mar 03, 2009 12:45 pm UTC

Recipes

I will link to this post in the OP and keep editing it with recipes as I get round to typing them out.

ALL MEASURES, TEMPERATURES, TIMES, CONCEPTS AND THE WORDS THEMSELVES ARE ESTIMATES. I cook by feeling.

Lunch / Light meals
Brocolli and cheese soup (low carb)
Spoiler:
If you can make a cheese sauce that doesn't seperate without flour, that would be great and no carb. I can't seem to get it right.
(makes enough for 2-3 servings)

Ingredients
1 large head of brocolli (do you call it a head?)
1 cube chicken or vegetable stock dissloved in enough boiling water to cover the brocolli (or enough homemade stock to cover the brocolli)
1 cup low fat cheese, preferably with a sharp taste like mature cheddar
1 tbsp flour
200ml milk (I use skimmed)
pinch of salt

Method
  • Cut the brocolli into florets of similar size and boil in the stock until very tender
  • In the meantime, make a cheese sauce (I make it without butter/marge to reduce the fat content and I also find it is easier to make it without lumps that way): mix the flour thoroughly into the cold milk. Slowly bring to just below boiling, whisking all the while. There will be a moment when the flour suddenly starts to cook and the mixture thickens notably, especially on the bottom. Make sure to whisk thoroughly at this point to avoid lumps. Add the cheese, stir until melted. Add more milk if required but it shouldn't be too thin.
  • Remove the brocolli from the water, making sure to reserve the stock. Place in a food processor. Add enough cheese sauce to blend it into a thick soup consistency and liquidize. If it is too thick, add some of the stock.
Asparagus ham wraps (no carbs)
Spoiler:
Ingredients
Ham slices (about 4-5 per person)
Light processed cheese triangles or spread (1 for every 2 slices of ham)
Fresh steamed or boiled asparagus, cooled

Method
  • Spread half a cheese triangle onto each ham slice, lenght wise
  • Place a bundle of asparagus on top of the cheese (judge how many to use by the size of the ham - will it roll up?
  • Roll the ham around the cheese and asparagus; enjoy.

Dinner
Soy marinated chicken and stir fried veggies (no carbs)
Spoiler:
Serves 2

Chicken:
2 chicken breasts, skinless and boneless
1/2 cup soya sauce
1 handful chopped coriander leaves (/Chinese parsley/cilantro)
2 chopped spring onions
1/2 tsp dried ground ginger
1 tsp crushed garlic
1/2 tsp dried chilli flakes, optional (or use a small amount of chopped fresh chilli)
1 tsp sweetener; I favour Splenda/sucralose
1 tsp oil

Vegetables:
These are the veggies I prefer to use, you can substitute any stir fry of your choice
1 tbsp oil
1/2 onion, sliced thickly and the slices halved
1 red (or other colour) pepper / capsicum / bell pepper, cut into large chunks
approx 1 cup (1/2 a packet as sold in UK shops) mange tout
1/2 head of brocolli, cut into very small florets so they cook quickly
optionally add: cabbage/bak choi, coarsely shredded; beansprouts; courgette/baby marrow, in battons or slices; mushrooms, thickly sliced
optional: raw cashews, I would use about a small handful but however many you want.
optional: toasted sesame oil

Method:
  • Combine the soy sauce, spring onions, sweetener, dry ginger, garlic, chilli and coriander in a resealable plastic food bag; mix well.
  • Add the chicken breasts. Squeeze out remaining air and seal. This means you can marinade them without having to make enough marinade to cover a whole bowl and you don't have to turn them over.
  • Marinade for a ... while (I tend to do this in the morning before work and then cook for dinner; you could probably leave it for an hour at least). Do not discard the marinade.
  • Cook the chicken breasts in (in order of preference) a George Foreman or similar grill; a good griddle pan; a frying pan (skillet). If using one of the first two, either use a cooking spray or the oil and a brush to lightly oil the surface. Otherwise shallow fry in the teaspoon of oil.
  • Have the heat right up at first and sear the sides of the chicken, then turn to medium heat to cook.
  • When the chicken's about 1/2 - 1/4 cooked, make the veggies. Heat up the oil to a medium to high heat and add the vegetables in order of how long they take to cook. Onions always first; then I would add the mushrooms and brocolli, then the peppers, then the mange tout; frying for about a minute inbetween. Nuts usually go in fairly early but I think it depends on preference.
  • When they're all only just cooked, add the marinade and stir fry long enough for any raw chicken ickyness to cook through.
  • Turn off the heat on the veggies. If using, drizzle a little toasted sesame oil over and toss through. You could also stir in a few toasted sesame seeds instead if you wanted.
  • Make sure the chicken is cooked through and serve.
Mini quich cups (no carbs)
Spoiler:
This was inspired by an official South Beach recipe; I didn't have spinach though so I substituted courgette and think it works great. These amounts are very very rough and I will edit them if I can remember to pay more attention the next time I make this.

They are nice warm but what's really great about them is that they're one of the few South Beach foods that you can keep and grab on the go; they're a great breakfast or lunch if you have to eat on the go or pack something to a place where you can't sit down and eat with a knife and fork. They have enough egg and cheese to fill you up and enough veg to not have to worry about a side dish (although I still like serving it with a salad for lunch). They make a good snack too.

Ingredients
2 eggs
1/2 tsp crushed garlic*
1/2 tsp mustard powder*
1/2 tsp paprika, hot paprika or cayenne pepper, or a combination, depending on how spicy you like it*
1/2 tsp dried parsley*
pinch salt
1-2 large courgettes (baby marrow)
1 bell / sweet pepper / capsicum
1/2 onion
1 cup grated low fat cheddar, the sharper the flavour the better
Oil or cooking spray to grease a muffin pan
You could add some chopped fried lean bacon medallion for variation

*you can leave any of these out if you don't have them, they just give more flavour

Method
  • Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celcius
  • Grate the cheese and the courgette coursely. Chop the onion and pepper.
  • Mix all ingredients well.
  • Adjust the amount of veggies and cheese so that you end up with something that has a batter-like consistency; it should not be a few solid bits floating in an omelette mix. The egg should only bind the other ingredients. Add an egg if it's too solid.
  • Spoon into a greased muffin tin
  • Bake for about 30-35 minutes or until it starts getting brown on top.
Lasagne (low carb)
Spoiler:
Serves 2

Dry pasta is (in the UK and SA at least, I think you need to find special brands in the US) made from durhum or winter wheat which is hard so it doesn't grind as finely and so isn't as refined as say flour. On top of that, if you use egg pasta, the egg in it will lower the GI even more. Serve it with a meat sauce that has veggies, cheese and beans in to boot and the GI is even lower. So one sheet of pasta should be fine if you're on Phase II or III.

The lack of belchamel sauce makes it a little less creamy but I still find it very satisfying. You may want to try making a sauce by melting half a tub of Philedelphia Extra Light and mixing in some cheese but I found it doesn't add enough to justify the extra work, cost or calories.

Ingredients
500g lean beef mince
1 can chopped tomato
1 tsp crushed garlic
1 tsp balsamic vinegar
1/2 tsp sweetener
1 tsp dried herbs (mixed, oreganum or basil all work well)
1 beef stock cube
1/2 cup boiling water
1/2 onion, chopped
1 bell / sweet pepper / capsicum, chopped
2 sticks celery, finely chopped (optional)
1 can beans such as pinto, borlotti or navy beans; drained
2 tsp oil
1/2 cup grated low fat cheddar
2 sheets dried (NOT FRESH) lasagne, preferably egg lasagne

Method
  • Chop and fry the onion and celery in the oil until soft
  • Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius
  • If you need to cook or soak the lasagne sheet, do that.
  • Add the garlic and chopped pepper and fry until soft
  • Add the beef and brown
  • Add the tomato, balsamic vinegar, beans, herbs, sweetener and stock cube dissolved in boiling water. Stir well
  • Cook on low heat for about an hour (I prefer all day in my slow cooker / crockpot while I'm at work) or until it looks like a nice rich bolognese sauce
  • Using a rectangular dish or, preferably individual lasagne dishes, spoon half of the mix per person in the bottom of the dish(es). Add the lasagne sheet, and then put the other half of the meat on top
  • Sprinkle liberally with cheese
  • Bake for 20-30 minutes or until the lasagne is soft (if not precooked/soaked) and the cheese is nice and melty
Turkey and Chick Pea stew (no carbs)
Spoiler:
Ingredients
+/- 500g diced turkey breast (or use chicken)
2-3 tsp oil
2 cloves garlic, crushed*
1 tsp finely chopped ginger*
1 tsp cumin
1 tbsp paprika (I prefer hot paprika)
1 can chick peas
1 can chopped tomatos
1 chicken stock cube, dissolved in 1/2 cup hot water
1 tsp dried mixed herbs, or a handful of freshly chopped herbs of your choice. I'd suggest basil or marjoram.

Method
  • Bring a pan (skillet) to a high heat.
  • Brown the meat in the oil.
  • Add the garlic, ginger and spices (but not the herbs) and stir.
  • Add the chick peas (drained), the tomatoes and the stock.
  • Cover and cook on medium heat for 10 minutes.
  • At this point, you need to evaluate the consistency because you can't add flour or other thickeners and still be low carb. If it is watery, take off the lid and boil until the water reduced enough to gain the desired consistency.
  • Add the herbs 5 minutes before end of cooking if dried, at the very end if fresh.

* I use those tubes of preprepared stuff, so much easier.
Bacon wrapped chicken kiev (no carbs)
Spoiler:
Ingredients
(approximately, per portion)
1 chicken breast
+/- 5 trimmed bacon medallions (the meaty bit of a rasher of back bacon)
1 tsp pesto
2 tbsp grated low fat cheese
1-2 tsp olive oil

Method
  • Place the chicken breast between two large sheets of cling film. Using a meat hammer or the side of a saucer, beat the chicken out to an even thickness, and if you can a roughly oval shape.
  • Remove the plastic. Place the pesto along a line in the middle of the chicken and top with the cheese.
  • Roll/fold the chicken to encase the filling as well as possible (but don't roll so tightly that it can't cook through easily).
  • Wrap the chicken in the bacon.
  • Heat the oil in a large pan/skillet to a medium-hot heat. Seal the chicken "kievs" on all sides, then turn down the heat to medium and fry until cooked through, turning occasionally. I may experiment with baking this in the oven at some point instead. To see if it's cooked, stick a knife's edge or skewer into the middle and press lightly until some juice comes to the surface. If the juice is pink, it is still cooking. If it is completely clear, it's cooked.
Sausage and butterbean stew (no carbs)
Spoiler:
Ingredients
6-8 low fat pork sausages (links), skin removed if you like
1 tbsp olive oil
1/2 large white onion
1 red pepper
1 green pepper
1 can butter beans, drained
1 chicken stock cube dissolved in 100ml water
1 tbsp tomato paste
1/2 - 3/4 can chopped tomatoes
dried parsley and/or rosemary
1/2 tsp salt
ground black pepper, optional
2ml balsamic vinegar (optional)

Method
  • Cut the sausages into thick rounds and brown in the oil.
  • Roughly chop the vegetables; add to the sausage and sautee .
  • Dissolve the stock cube in the water, and to the pot together with the tomato paste, beans, chopped tomatoes, some of the salt (rather too little at this stage than too much), pepper and the vinegar.
  • Bring to the boil, and let simmer. When it starts to look like a stew, taste for seasoning and add more salt if required.
  • Simmer until thoroughly cooked, and the liquid has reduced enough to be a slightly thicker consistency (because we add no thickeners like flour). Add herbs 5 mins before the end.

Sweet things
Flourless chocolate cake (low carb)
Spoiler:
I posted the recipe in the XKCD cookbook thread; be sure to use sweetener instead of sugar.
Last edited by Moo on Thu May 21, 2009 10:44 am UTC, edited 8 times in total.

Zohar
COMMANDER PORN

Re: New year, new Moo! (South Beach diet)

Postby Zohar » Wed Mar 04, 2009 9:04 am UTC

Just wanted to mention that you can make a low-fat "white" sauce for lasagna with:
250 gr. cottage cheese (we have 3 or 5% fat here in Israel)
1-2 eggs
Salt, pepper, oregano.
Mighty Jalapeno: "See, Zohar agrees, and he's nice to people."
SecondTalon: "Still better looking than Jesus."

Not how I say my name

Moo

Postby Moo » Wed Mar 04, 2009 9:48 am UTC

Thanks!

Moo

Postby Moo » Mon Mar 16, 2009 8:48 am UTC

Last week I had gained, but this week I seem to be down again. It's been a pretty stressful few weeks and I have been bad. I hope to get my head back in a good place (all round) soon.
Weight last week: 91.7
Weight this morning (Monday, 16 March): 90.2kg.

I wonder if my scale is reliable. It has new batteries.

Moo

Postby Moo » Wed Mar 18, 2009 4:01 pm UTC

It's been going ok. I haven't been eating nearly enough veg though.

Angelene
relax, I'll handle the zippers

Postby Angelene » Wed Mar 18, 2009 8:55 pm UTC

Bold moo! Word of advice? Now you've been so good at eradicating all the bad stuff, start shifting the focus from what you shouldn't eat to what you should. Nourish thyself missus! We want a healthy moo, too you know.
"Some people need a red carpet rolled out in front of them in order to walk forward into friendship. They can't see the tiny outstretched hands all around them, everywhere, like leaves on trees."

Moo

Postby Moo » Thu Apr 02, 2009 3:59 pm UTC

Boo. Stood still this week from last week at 90.3kg. Considering how far from the wagon I've fallen recently it's amazing, really. I will keep trying but emotional eating is kind of getting the better of me right now. Here, have a graph.
Southbeach.PNG
Southbeach.PNG (13.61 KiB) Viewed 6427 times

I will be very happy when I break 90kg.

Artemisia

Postby Artemisia » Thu Apr 23, 2009 2:09 pm UTC

Just a little post with encouragement: keep it up darling!

I've recently started dieting myself, I wanted to lose just a touch to fit my dress more comfortably (sitting job is not helpful!) and feel better. I'm banning ALL candy, esp Chocolate, and try to eat low-fat healthy snacks and less bread products.

I eat yoghurt with muesli for breakfast, carrots, crackers and nuts as snacks, two slices brown bread for lunch and an apple and yesterday I had two slices of bread with vegetable omelet. I had another sandwich with chocolate spread as I was still peckish and didn't want to take the "leave myself hungry" too far.

Also started doing stomach excersizes before bed.

I may just imagining things, as I started it just Monday but I feel better already! Won't lose the stomach in a week, obviously, but I will feel great on The Day! :D
Plus, I'm really proud of myself for doing this. I will keep this up (though les stringent) after the wedding. Non-bread snacks are nice.
This too shall pass

Zohar
COMMANDER PORN

Postby Zohar » Sun Apr 26, 2009 11:57 am UTC

Way to go, Artemisia! Just a few quick notes:
Muesli, here at least, basically means granola with sugar/honey/molasses or something similar. Make sure you don't eat too many calories from there, and maybe consider switching to granola.
Nuts are basically oil. They're extremely healthy oils and it's a good think to eat some every day, but make sure you don't have too much - 500-800 calories per 100 gr. is a lot. For added healthiness, avoid toasted nuts (makes the oil into the trans oils which are NOT good).
It's good you don't starve yourself - if you do it probably won't work in the long term.
Mighty Jalapeno: "See, Zohar agrees, and he's nice to people."
SecondTalon: "Still better looking than Jesus."

Not how I say my name

Moo

Postby Moo » Mon Apr 27, 2009 10:23 am UTC

Sorry to interrupt but my weight this morning was 91.2kg.

prolegomenon

Postby prolegomenon » Thu May 07, 2009 3:14 pm UTC

Felicitations on your mass reduction so far, Moo, that is awesome progress! Keep going. If you don't, I know where you live, and will come and confiscate your fridge.

Moo

Postby Moo » Thu May 07, 2009 3:16 pm UTC

Thanks, p (I'm just going to call you p, your name is weird and long). Actually, knowing how quickly you got back on track with carb free eating is helping me become a little more inspired again.

Moo

Postby Moo » Tue May 12, 2009 7:59 am UTC

So this morning I weighed in at 90.4. I'm quite pleased, I've been ok recently but not perfect. Yesterday was the first time in a long time I wasn't ashamed of *something* I ate all day, that the urge to binge or boycott myself didn't win out.

I've brought my swimming gear, and hope to do a few laps, just depends on if I can get this damn program working by leaving time. Here's to a good week, hopefully.

Graph:
Spoiler:
weight_loss.jpg
weight_loss.jpg (33.82 KiB) Viewed 6134 times

I'd really love to break that 90kg mark, as a start.

prolegomenon

Postby prolegomenon » Tue May 12, 2009 9:28 am UTC

Damnation. My last post just disappeared and I bet it will reappear now and I will look like a moran for posting twice.

Well done! I wish I weighed what you weighed at the *start* of your reducing adventure. Sigh. Maybe I should move to a planet with a lower gravitational constant. Keep going, Moo, because your weight loss is a real inspiration to me. First one to "normal" BMI wins a cake!

Return to “Fit Club”