The Official Running thread!

The Food Forum's Evil Twin. Trying to lose weight or get in shape? Tips, encouragement, status reports, and so forth go here.
Disclaimer: Unless otherwise stated, we are not health professionals. Take advice with salt.

Moderators: Mighty Jalapeno, Prelates, Moderators General

The Official Running thread!

Postby el_loco_avs » Sat Feb 21, 2009 12:19 pm UTC

[SPACE RESERVED FOR GENERAL RUNNING RESOURCES]

I did a quick search, and couldn't find any thread about just this.

Are there many runners here? What do you do? Short? Middle? Long distances? Are you training for a certain goal? Any great victory stories? Injuries? Spill your beans! :mrgreen:

Myself, I'm working my way up to a half marathon. I run twice a week, one long run (15k usually.. though I'm upping it step-by-step to 20k) and one 5k fast or interval. I was planning on doing a half marathon next month. Buuuut my knee is being iffy this week, so next monday's run will dictacte if I keep it up or postpone a month to let it recover.

I track my running over at Runners World, handy web-based application. You can track your runs, your shoes(!) and routes and PR's. Quite nifty. It tells me i have run 116.4km in 11hours 55 minutes in 2009. :mrgreen:
And I've shaved almost 7 minutes off my 10k record last year.
Last edited by el_loco_avs on Thu Jun 04, 2009 9:52 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
You go your way.
I'll go your way too.
el_loco_avs

Re: The Official Running thread!

Postby duckshirt » Mon Feb 23, 2009 3:02 am UTC

I'm a distance runner, though I'm thinking about maybe trying mid-distance someday, because I got cut from my college's distance team almost very early, whereas with mid I could have at least run some meets. Right now, though, I'm focused on road racing, including trying to smash my current 5k PR (17:59) and a huge 25k race in May and working out on my school's new indoor track. I'm possibly trying out for cross-country next year and eventually doing marathons. I also have a pretty good story about my PR in my last HS mile (4:59.8), too.

If you haven't noticed, there are a lot of big runners on this forum, and some of them have posted in the 'Personal Records' thread.
2-1=0! For real!
-Ed
duckshirt

Postby kgirlfae » Mon Feb 23, 2009 3:49 am UTC

I would like to style myself as an "aspiring runner".

I can't quite keep up a good jogging pace for more than 2-3 minutes right now, so I'm using interval training to slowly increase my time (a few months ago all I could manage was a 1 minute jog). My goal is to do a solid 30 minute jog within the year. My stamina is really horrendous, but I can really tell that it is improving as I go.

I'll add that I'm super jealous of those who can really do a full run, and that no matter how far you think you have to go you're really awesome compared to my level :D
kgirlfae

Postby el_loco_avs » Mon Feb 23, 2009 6:03 pm UTC

^ if you have a good schedule and make sure you don't try to run at too high a pace you can get a 30 minute run going pretty soon, couple of months tops. You can then work on speed bit-by-bit. Keep it up! :mrgreen:

Do you guys listen to music while you run? I'm currently trying out running with an audiobook (nothing too heavy though) instead of tunes.
You go your way.
I'll go your way too.
el_loco_avs

Postby kgirlfae » Mon Feb 23, 2009 6:47 pm UTC

I go to school most weekday mornings and then have to go right to work. From 9am until 11pm I'm stuck in a classroom or a store. If I get up early to run it I don't get nearly enough sleep (My body gets very very angry with me if I don't get a full 8 hours and I need to shower/prep my lunch for the first hour I'm awake. I basically come home and go to sleep to wake up and do it again. It makes having a regular running schedule hard. However, I do go out every week on Monday (My days off from work are Mon/Tues) and I usually go in the mornings on Friday (my day off from school). I'd go every Monday, Tuesday, Friday and Saturday (the only days I have the time to go), but when I tried that my motivation drastically decreased because of the back to back cardio. So on Tues/Sat I usually do strength work.

To your other question, I love my iPod and wouldn't be able to work out without it. I usually just put mine on shuffle and skip the songs that are too slow. I've tried making playlists of the upbeat songs, but I always forget ones I like and then I miss them when I'm running. I would have to say my songs that I like working out to though, are very very different than the songs I like to listen to normally. Far more upbeat and peppy. Usually I like slow depressing music.
kgirlfae

Postby TheKrikkitWars » Mon Feb 23, 2009 7:35 pm UTC

I'm a very intermitent runner, Most of my running would be styled as middle distance cross country, with some of the terrain being closer to fell running. I'm considering joining some vague aquaintences who have started a set run every evening.

I can maintain a jogging pace more or less indefinately (if breathlessly), but tend towards a different style which keeps a simmilar pace, but using long loping strides and a more forwards centre of mass, when climbing a steep gradient I use the American/Toe Point technique, which whilst murder on the calves, is much more stable on rough ground.

I'm told that road running with that form would slowly murder my joints... but I rarely run on hard surfaces so I've never noticed.
Great things are done when Men & Mountains meet,
This is not Done by Jostling in the Street.
TheKrikkitWars

Postby ams » Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:20 pm UTC

I'm a recovering runner. I ran cross country for three years in high school, and I ran occasionally in college.

My proudest moment in running was my senior year in high school. At one meet, I caught up with a runner who had probably a quarter-mile lead on me with a half mile left. I passed him in the chute leading to the finish line. Then I vomited.

Vomiting never felt so good.
ams

Postby el_loco_avs » Tue Feb 24, 2009 12:33 pm UTC

I attempted a run this morning. Didn't work. Need to see a doctor about my knee.

SHIT. :evil: :cry:
You go your way.
I'll go your way too.
el_loco_avs

Postby el_loco_avs » Tue Feb 24, 2009 12:34 pm UTC

kgirlfae wrote:I go to school most weekday mornings and then have to go right to work. From 9am until 11pm I'm stuck in a classroom or a store. If I get up early to run it I don't get nearly enough sleep (My body gets very very angry with me if I don't get a full 8 hours and I need to shower/prep my lunch for the first hour I'm awake. I basically come home and go to sleep to wake up and do it again. It makes having a regular running schedule hard. However, I do go out every week on Monday (My days off from work are Mon/Tues) and I usually go in the mornings on Friday (my day off from school). I'd go every Monday, Tuesday, Friday and Saturday (the only days I have the time to go), but when I tried that my motivation drastically decreased because of the back to back cardio. So on Tues/Sat I usually do strength work.

To your other question, I love my iPod and wouldn't be able to work out without it. I usually just put mine on shuffle and skip the songs that are too slow. I've tried making playlists of the upbeat songs, but I always forget ones I like and then I miss them when I'm running. I would have to say my songs that I like working out to though, are very very different than the songs I like to listen to normally. Far more upbeat and peppy. Usually I like slow depressing music.

Heh... now that I do long runs I have a lot of slow songs too. Songs that just make you zone out a bit, you know? I just sometimes wake up from that and realize I've already done over half the run >_<
You go your way.
I'll go your way too.
el_loco_avs

Postby duckshirt » Tue Feb 24, 2009 9:20 pm UTC

ams wrote:Vomiting never felt so good.

It's true... I usually plan on vomiting after a good majority of races... If I don't eat within 4 hours of a race, though, the vomiting will at least be postponed until right after the race, so it won't slow me down at least. Apparently, for some people, if you don't have enough fat in your abdominal cavity, your organs shake around too much when you run hard at the end of a race, causing you to puke very frequently on those runs.

To the music question, I don't really listen to music on runs... I got an mp3 player for running a couple years ago, but I found myself not using it much and eventually stopped. I have an iPod now, but I use it for other stuff.
2-1=0! For real!
-Ed
duckshirt

Postby TheKrikkitWars » Thu Feb 26, 2009 1:09 pm UTC

I've now taken up running more seriously, having run the cooper test, and come out at only average, which is a poor showing, and why you shouldn't slacken off and hit the pies when you reach university.
TheKrikkitWars

Postby Comic JK » Sun Mar 01, 2009 4:48 am UTC

I'm a distance runner--generally, the longer, the better (see here). I ran the 2008 NYC Marathon, coming in a 3 hours, 6 minutes. For training I either run through the streets, or, if my knees and such are bothering me, on an elliptical. In order to fit running into my schedule, I often do it in lieu of taking the subway, as long as I can get a shower at the end. Running at night is especially fun.

My advice to beginning runners would be to start slow and long. It doesn't matter how slowly you jog at first; if you can keep it up for half an hour or an hour, you're building up your heart and lungs, and speed will follow.
A webcomic funnier than life itself. Updated Monday-Friday.
Comic JK

Postby el_loco_avs » Sun Mar 01, 2009 8:28 pm UTC

Comic JK wrote:My advice to beginning runners would be to start slow and long. It doesn't matter how slowly you jog at first; if you can keep it up for half an hour or an hour, you're building up your heart and lungs, and speed will follow.

Good advice this.

for my wonky knees, I've decided on trying to rest it for two weeks and then try again. If it's still wonky I'll see a fysio.
You go your way.
I'll go your way too.
el_loco_avs

Postby Grop » Mon Mar 02, 2009 1:33 pm UTC

I am not a great runner, but I run 30-45 minutes once a week (I don't really know what distance). Lately I've run mostly on roads, so I was a bit worried about my joints (also, I weigh 105 kg).

Now I've moved to a better place, and there's a big park very close. Running in the forest is definitely more appealing, so I am considering running much more often.
Grop

Postby Poposhka » Mon Mar 02, 2009 11:48 pm UTC

cross-country and orienteering.

and this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hash_House_Harriers
Poposhka

Postby Comic JK » Tue Mar 03, 2009 5:44 am UTC

Grop wrote:I am not a great runner, but I run 30-45 minutes once a week (I don't really know what distance). Lately I've run mostly on roads, so I was a bit worried about my joints (also, I weigh 105 kg).

Consider running on softer surfaces as much as possible: the order as I understand it is sand > grass > dirt > rubber > asphalt > concrete. The main thing I worry about is not my joints (knees), but my shins--repetitive running on hard surfaces causes an inflammation of the tendon behind the shin, which if continued eventually becomes quite painful. My coach called it "shin splints." This is a caveat in my advice about taking long, slow and frequent runs. In addition to staying on soft surfaces where available, adjusting your form, so as not to stomp, is very useful and will help you run faster too.
A webcomic funnier than life itself. Updated Monday-Friday.
Comic JK

Postby Grop » Tue Mar 03, 2009 2:18 pm UTC

Now I run on dirt :). Also, I woke up at 6:30 this morning and ran before going to work. It worked well, so if I stay motivated I will run often.

(I used to only run on weekends).
Grop

Postby el_loco_avs » Fri Mar 06, 2009 2:03 pm UTC

Comic JK wrote:
Grop wrote:I am not a great runner, but I run 30-45 minutes once a week (I don't really know what distance). Lately I've run mostly on roads, so I was a bit worried about my joints (also, I weigh 105 kg).

Consider running on softer surfaces as much as possible: the order as I understand it is sand > grass > dirt > rubber > asphalt > concrete. The main thing I worry about is not my joints (knees), but my shins--repetitive running on hard surfaces causes an inflammation of the tendon behind the shin, which if continued eventually becomes quite painful. My coach called it "shin splints." This is a caveat in my advice about taking long, slow and frequent runs. In addition to staying on soft surfaces where available, adjusting your form, so as not to stomp, is very useful and will help you run faster too.

I had a slight case of shin splints when I started running more seriously. It went away when I got stronger though. It's a good idea to *slowly* increase intensity and duration of running workouts.

Man. My knee even felt bad when I went swimming this week. But i did get some good cross-training done hah. Still sore!
You go your way.
I'll go your way too.
el_loco_avs

Postby crowey » Fri Mar 06, 2009 10:32 pm UTC

short/middle distance cross country, there's something satisfying about getting really muddy whilst excersising.... one day I want to do the tought guy race. Not for a while though, 10K seems to be my limit at the moment.
crowey
That's DOCTOR Crowey, to you

Postby crowey » Sun Mar 08, 2009 12:38 am UTC

my first thought is leaving longer between food and excersise. I can't run for at least 2 hours after eating, for fear of pain and vomiting.
crowey
That's DOCTOR Crowey, to you

Postby kgirlfae » Sun Mar 08, 2009 6:44 am UTC

I had those problems, to the point where if I run solidly for more than 10-15 minutes I can barely move the side cramps get so bad. So I started running in intervals - 2 minutes running, 4 recovering (walking), another 2 running, and so on and so forth. I do this for 4 intervals then have my cooldown walk of 5-6 minutes.

The good news is that I actually started off with 1 minute running and 5 recovering, and pushed up to 2 minutes about a month ago. I've just gotten comfortable at that pace, so next week I'm pushing it up to 3 minutes running/3 recovering. I hope to eventually train my body into being comfortable with running solidly for 30 minutes without the side stitches returning.

I started using intervals after a friend of mine had success with them last year - it's a really good idea to ease yourself into the exercise without straining your body. This keeps it fun, rather than a chore/painful, and that means you're more likely to continue with running over the long term - rather than giving up after 3 weeks because it's too hard.
kgirlfae

Postby duckshirt » Mon Mar 09, 2009 6:39 pm UTC

If you're having pain in the abs, you could try doing some situps/crunches to strengthen your core. Even if you a few cruches to warm up your core muscles before a run, it seems to help.
2-1=0! For real!
-Ed
duckshirt

Postby TheKrikkitWars » Tue Mar 10, 2009 2:46 am UTC

Went running with my GF today, she told me whats wrong with my form, my right foot is a bit screwy and causes my right leg to flare outwards, my entire body has to act to compensate for that slight imbalance, increasing stress on the legs, and decreasing effiicency.
TheKrikkitWars

Postby Mulus » Tue Mar 10, 2009 2:51 am UTC

I just started track last week and I'm feeling pretty good for not having trained with the team over the winter. I hope to be running low 10's in the 3200 and 4:40's in the 1600. Any other high school track athletes from Virginia?
Mulus

Postby Grop » Tue Mar 10, 2009 8:31 am UTC

Mulus wrote:I hope to be running low 10's in the 3200 and 4:40's in the 1600.

Hi, what do these figures stand for? I have no idea.

Edit: Oh, probably minutes and meters.
Last edited by Grop on Tue Mar 10, 2009 12:43 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Grop

Postby icenine » Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:40 am UTC

kgirlfae wrote:I would like to style myself as an "aspiring runner".

Same here!

I'm running once a week now, does anyone know if there's an "optimal" period/number of days between trainings that helps you build up your stamina most quickly? Once a week is all I can fit in right now, but having a week between each run feels quite long.
icenine

Postby Mulus » Tue Mar 10, 2009 1:42 pm UTC

Grop wrote:
Mulus wrote:I hope to be running low 10's in the 3200 and 4:40's in the 1600.

Hi, what do these figures stand for? I have no idea.

Edit: Oh, probably minutes and meters.

Yea, you're right, minutes and meters. I Should've been more clear.
Mulus

Postby Izawwlgood » Tue Mar 10, 2009 4:54 pm UTC

Well winters rounding down which means I can get back to jogging. I hate treadmills, but will put in about 8-10 miles a week on them. Now that the weathers getting nice, I'm gearing up towards training for the marathon again.

Running is bliss and salvation and grueling and painful and heavenly and cathartic and contemplative.
How many are the enemy, but where are they? Within, without, never ceases the fight.
Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby kgirlfae » Tue Mar 10, 2009 5:20 pm UTC

icenine wrote:I'm running once a week now, does anyone know if there's an "optimal" period/number of days between trainings that helps you build up your stamina most quickly? Once a week is all I can fit in right now, but having a week between each run feels quite long.
From my research I found 3 times a week, but this is the internets, so that could be a lie.

I've found that the biggest thing to help my stamina is to run intervals every time I go out (x # minutes running/jogging, y # minutes walking). Every 2-3 weeks, when I just start to feel comfortable with the pace I'm going, I increase the x and decrease the y. I know I've seen this posted around, but this website is what I stumble across most when people recommend a running plan. I'll be honest, I'm not even to the physical stamina necessary to do week one yet. My goal is to reach that point by the end of the summer.

I'm glad I'm not the only aspiring runner out there though! (yay for friends!)
kgirlfae

Postby el_loco_avs » Tue Mar 10, 2009 5:35 pm UTC

Well I tried my knee again this morning. Made it 10 minutes before my knee started playing up again. Quit early and felt alright later.

Next test, next week!
You go your way.
I'll go your way too.
el_loco_avs

Postby Izawwlgood » Tue Mar 10, 2009 8:26 pm UTC

Stretch before you start. I get debilitating IT band issues if I don't.
How many are the enemy, but where are they? Within, without, never ceases the fight.
Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Miro » Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:27 pm UTC

Im a mid-distance runner. 3.2-3.8(depending on the route I take) to work and back sunday-wednesday, with a 1.6 mile run thursday-saturday.

Its taken a while to get up to the shape im in, I started out taking the bus to work then walking home. After I got used to the exercise I started walking to and from. Over the course of a year I started jogging and eventually running to and from work.

When I first started running I wasnt wearing proper shoes for running on concrete and I messed up my left knee for about two weeks. But other than that I havnt had any major problems.

Note: I live in North-eastern Oklahoma in the Ozark mountain range, so when Im going to work/coming home Im running up hill both ways.
Miro

Postby el_loco_avs » Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:57 am UTC

Izawwlgood wrote:Stretch before you start. I get debilitating IT band issues if I don't.

I do stretch, calves, hamstrings, groin etc. How would I stretch a knee? :shock:
You go your way.
I'll go your way too.
el_loco_avs

Postby Izawwlgood » Wed Mar 11, 2009 3:04 pm UTC

Well knee pain isn't always due to knee problems. IT band issues manifest as knee pain, but is stretched or rubbed out along the quad. Make sure you've got good foot support (I go through a pair of New Balance 990's every 1-3 months depending on how hard I run)
Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby el_loco_avs » Wed Mar 11, 2009 8:01 pm UTC

Miro wrote:Im a mid-distance runner. 3.2-3.8(depending on the route I take) to work and back sunday-wednesday, with a 1.6 mile run thursday-saturday.

Its taken a while to get up to the shape im in, I started out taking the bus to work then walking home. After I got used to the exercise I started walking to and from. Over the course of a year I started jogging and eventually running to and from work.

Awesome way to train if you have facilities to shower at work! :mrgreen:

Izawwlgood wrote:Well knee pain isn't always due to knee problems. IT band issues manifest as knee pain, but is stretched or rubbed out along the quad. Make sure you've got good foot support (I go through a pair of New Balance 990's every 1-3 months depending on how hard I run)

hm. My Asics shoes (Gel Nimbus.. 9? i think) are a year old and have at least 600km on them now. That might be the issue. I did my test run on a new pair of Asics. I'll see how that goes.
You go your way.
I'll go your way too.
el_loco_avs

Postby Izawwlgood » Wed Mar 11, 2009 8:34 pm UTC

Yeah! As a general rule of thumb, I'd say you get roughly 100 miles out of a pair of shoes for running. By all means, keep 'em for comfort and messy art and that sort of thing; I usually don't throw away a pair until I've worn through the sole. But don't run on a pair that has, lets say, no more definition in the treads. After about 80miles on a pair of running shoes, I find I feel as though I'm running flat footed. Sometimes I get lazy and run on an old pair, and it definitely doesn't feel great.

Also, I'd say it takes about 3-4 miles to bust in a new pair, so don't be shy with it. Foot support is key!
Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby duckshirt » Wed Mar 11, 2009 11:53 pm UTC

I think it depends on the person. They say by 100 miles it has definitely started wearing down, but it can still last - a lot of shoes are made to last much farther, 300-400, often 500 miles. My HS cross coach said not to go over 500 with a pair, but I've found I can go a little farther (I put about 800 miles on my last pair, although I have orthodics in it for extra support, and those last a little longer than a normal shoe sole), and I know a couple other guys who can do 1000-1500+ miles... It definitely does take a little time to break in a new pair, though; I always hate that part... :oops:
2-1=0! For real!
-Ed
duckshirt

Postby duckshirt » Thu Mar 12, 2009 2:33 am UTC

It seems pretty hardcore... isn't that what the Kenyans do at young ages? Some say it's their secret to success... The human body is made to run barefoot, but on softer surfaces than roads, obviously. I'd try it maybe if I could find enough good, soft places to run... I think, in the end, you'd be a little more injury-prone if you were switching right from shoes to barefoot, but it might make your foot stronger. One of my running friends (who isn't always a valid source...) says that injuries are more common with the higher-tech shoes, so it might not be so bad.
2-1=0! For real!
-Ed
duckshirt

Postby Izawwlgood » Thu Mar 12, 2009 2:59 am UTC

I have a pair of Tevas that I run in rough terrain with sometimes. It's cool.

But I had a joke with a buddy, because I often spend my summers barefoot (Chicago's a pretty good city for it), and when someone talks about how rough running is, we say "In my village, shoes are for the children and the weak"
Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby el_loco_avs » Thu Mar 12, 2009 11:02 am UTC

Izawwlgood wrote:Yeah! As a general rule of thumb, I'd say you get roughly 100 miles out of a pair of shoes for running. By all means, keep 'em for comfort and messy art and that sort of thing; I usually don't throw away a pair until I've worn through the sole. But don't run on a pair that has, lets say, no more definition in the treads. After about 80miles on a pair of running shoes, I find I feel as though I'm running flat footed. Sometimes I get lazy and run on an old pair, and it definitely doesn't feel great.

Also, I'd say it takes about 3-4 miles to bust in a new pair, so don't be shy with it. Foot support is key!

Hmm, looking around i'm seeing 300-400 as a rule of thumb in most advice places. Less if you're heavier or more if you're pretty light (running style also being a factor). But I am over 400 now so I'll see. I'll poke my dad about it actually, see what he thinks. He's been running for 40 years or something.

100 miles would have me need 6 pairs a year.
You go your way.
I'll go your way too.
el_loco_avs

Next

Return to Fit Club