College

The school experience. School related queries, discussions, and stories that aren't specific to a subject.

Moderators: gmalivuk, Moderators General, Prelates

TEHFEZ

College

Postby TEHFEZ » Wed Mar 18, 2009 8:03 pm UTC

Kay , so pretty soon I’m heading off to college , and this being the largest source of knowledge on pretty much every subject I thought I’d come here for some advice/funny stories or otherwise stuff to quell the MIND NUMBING FEAR :shock:
I’m going to Richard huish (huigh?) college in Taunton , England and I am planning on taking chemistry, physics ,psychology ,philosophy ,maths engineering and Japanese language(enrichment)

Pretty much any college based feedback would be appreciated
Thanks guys :wink:

gerb

Re: College

Postby gerb » Wed Mar 18, 2009 8:29 pm UTC

Same here. Off to college this year.

It's not scary after the first couple weeks, right?
"In a world where derivatives change functions into other functions...one constant will stand alone....This summer, Leonhard Euler is...ex..."
-Sir_Elderberry

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Wed Mar 18, 2009 8:42 pm UTC

It's fun. You should have fun. It is scary. And fun.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

achan1058

Postby achan1058 » Wed Mar 18, 2009 8:53 pm UTC

Just make sure you don't slack off for the first 2 months unless you are an absolute genius. Do your HW and readings.

As for stories, the only ones I know of are funny answers that kids put on their exam papers when they don't know how to answer a question. (I do TAing, so I see those a bit) I doubt you want to hear that, unless you want to try some yourself.

mypsychoticself

Postby mypsychoticself » Thu Mar 19, 2009 2:50 am UTC

So I got here, and was all, "WTF am I doing here? What's going on? I want my mommy!"

Then I realized that everyone else was freaking out, too. Plus, people here are so much awesomer than people in high school were, and the classes are so much more interesting.

Sartorius

Postby Sartorius » Thu Mar 19, 2009 3:45 am UTC

If you've ever been to a summer camp, college is a lot like being at summer camp for a long time. It's not really that scary. Just leave the drama back in high school and don't be "that roommate" and you'll do fine. Also don't slack off your freshman year, because it'll bite you in the ass. Oh, and take time to explore things. Join clubs. Try new things. Live off ramen for months to save up money to go backpacking across the country. Find yourself, find out what you like, and realize that everyone runs back to their parents for help occasionally. :wink:
"Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life." -Terry Pratchett

Rilian

Postby Rilian » Thu Mar 19, 2009 4:51 am UTC

I did dual credit in high school, won a math competition at the jr college, went to several interviews, was offered the biggest academic scholarship Tarleton had, went to orientation on no sleep, lost my marbles when the Purple Poo touched me, cried for several hours, skipped half the orientation activities, blacked out for several hours, called my mom saying I didn't want to go to college, that I wanted to move to New Jersey, was bullied into attending college anyway, dropped 5 of my classes the first semester, dropped 1 and failed 2 the second semester, and quit going after that.

Have fun! Good Luck!
And I'm -2.

achan1058

Postby achan1058 » Thu Mar 19, 2009 5:38 am UTC

Rilian wrote:I did dual credit in high school, won a math competition at the jr college, went to several interviews, was offered the biggest academic scholarship Tarleton had, went to orientation on no sleep, lost my marbles when the Purple Poo touched me, cried for several hours, skipped half the orientation activities, blacked out for several hours, called my mom saying I didn't want to go to college, that I wanted to move to New Jersey, was bullied into attending college anyway, dropped 5 of my classes the first semester, dropped 1 and failed 2 the second semester, and quit going after that.
Stop trying to scare the kid. How did you drop 5 classes anyways? That's just about the full load. And honestly, my grades went up when I attended university, as I no longer need to deal with classes like history.

Rilian

Postby Rilian » Thu Mar 19, 2009 5:47 am UTC

achan1058 wrote:
Rilian wrote:I did dual credit in high school, won a math competition at the jr college, went to several interviews, was offered the biggest academic scholarship Tarleton had, went to orientation on no sleep, lost my marbles when the Purple Poo touched me, cried for several hours, skipped half the orientation activities, blacked out for several hours, called my mom saying I didn't want to go to college, that I wanted to move to New Jersey, was bullied into attending college anyway, dropped 5 of my classes the first semester, dropped 1 and failed 2 the second semester, and quit going after that.
Stop trying to scare the kid. How did you drop 5 classes anyways? That's just about the full load. And honestly, my grades went up when I attended university, as I no longer need to deal with classes like history.

Because of the scholarship, I was required to take 6 classes. Also, the school requires 2 semesters of history.
And I'm -2.

chillin

Postby chillin » Fri Mar 20, 2009 6:06 am UTC

College is only scary if you have that mindset - it never was scary for me! I didn't have the greatest high school background and could have been better prepared for my semi-grueling university, but college is really what you make of it. If you're nonetheless intimidated, keep in mind that a lot of other freshmen are scared shitless, too (as someone else mentioned).

nahvkolaj

Postby nahvkolaj » Sat Mar 21, 2009 5:26 pm UTC

if you're living in the res halls, attend all the at-the-time-sounds-stupid "ice-breakers" and get to know your hall mates stuff. you'll make friends easier that way, and friends really help. it was a little scary at first all of a sudden being on my own, but you'll adjust fast. i got lucky and more than half of the people on my floor are engineering students. it took me a couple quarters to get the system worked out, but now at the end of my 3rd quarter (i did a freshman summer start program here) i've pretty much got things figured out. I had to learn how to study for math :shock:

Fuzzypickles

Postby Fuzzypickles » Sat Mar 21, 2009 7:26 pm UTC

I hated my first week at college. I was worried to the point where I was physically sick and I couldn't sleep and I wasn't sure what I even wanted to major in and I felt completely out of place and really regretted choosing my school. Within two weeks I liked it a lot more. Within a month I didn't want to go home. You'll probably not like it at first. Don't worry, it gets better.

Mous

Postby Mous » Sun Mar 22, 2009 1:24 am UTC

September can't come soon enough for me.

It'll be a long 5 months.
Day after day, day after day,
We stuck, nor breath nor motion;
As idle as a painted ship
Upon a painted ocean.

thatguy

Postby thatguy » Sun Mar 22, 2009 4:27 am UTC

Went to an open house for my college Thursday, and I realized that I am still horribly socially inept.

Chai Kovsky wrote:Thatguy, you are my Big Damn Hero!
Thank you! You win the day!

MiB24601

Postby MiB24601 » Sun Mar 22, 2009 4:41 am UTC

thatguy wrote:Went to an open house for my college Thursday, and I realized that I am still horribly socially inept.

That's OK. I'm a snob and that merely means that I hang out with other snobs. As long as your school is of sufficient size, you should meet enough other people who are socially inept and have a large social group.

This should work for most values of X where X is "I can be described as being X" except for shy. According to Neil Gaiman, this even works for serial killers.
"There's no point being grown-up if you can't be childish sometimes." - The Fourth Doctor, Doctor Who

Dogbert

Postby Dogbert » Sun Mar 22, 2009 5:11 am UTC

MiB24601 wrote:According to Neil Gaiman, this even works for serial killers.

I'm an eye person, myself.

*ahem*

College was the best thing that ever happened to me. High school couldn't and didn't challenge me, so to meet teachers that did exactly that was like a breath of fresh air. The people thing will work itself out, especially since you're worried about it; the best thing about friendship is that starting one is as simple as saying hi.
Last edited by Dogbert on Sun Mar 22, 2009 2:51 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

achan1058

Postby achan1058 » Sun Mar 22, 2009 5:53 am UTC

MiB24601 wrote:This should work for most values of X where X is "I can be described as being X" except for shy. According to Neil Gaiman, this even works for serial killers.
This I agree. I can actually find people who would not run when I start to mention mathematics, for one. If your goal is to form the group of people that does not belong into any group, then you might run into some difficulties......

Rilian

Postby Rilian » Sun Mar 22, 2009 6:05 pm UTC

achan1058 wrote:
MiB24601 wrote:This should work for most values of X where X is "I can be described as being X" except for shy. According to Neil Gaiman, this even works for serial killers.
This I agree. I can actually find people who would not run when I start to mention mathematics, for one. If your goal is to form the group of people that does not belong into any group, then you might run into some difficulties......

A group of people who don't belong to any group is what my group was in high school, and it's what my fraternity seems to be.
And I'm -2.

Return to “School”