SciFi changes to SyFy (Everyone is pleased)

Rot your brains, then rot our boards

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

PatrickRsGhost

Re: I am agog, agast, and enraged

Postby PatrickRsGhost » Fri Mar 20, 2009 10:40 am UTC

culled wrote:
Kazuke wrote:So basically, SciFi SyFy wants to become the next G4?

The difference being that TechTV was actually good before G4 took over.

And TechTV was even better when it was still ZDTV.

culled wrote:Nickelodeons were small movie theaters and that's sort of similar to the channel.

Sort of. It might have been appropriate in the early days of Nickelodeon, when they showed not only full-length shows, but they used to segue each show with a short film or video, either an old cartoon short, or their own little videos which always ended with something forming the Nickelodeon logo. At the time Nickelodeon came around, kids' shows were far and few between. There were shows for the preschool set, like Mr. Rogers and Sesame Street. Teens liked watching a lot of the music shows or After-School Specials. There really wasn't much left for kids aged 6 to 12. If you were lucky, you might catch a handful of cartoons on a Saturday morning, but that was it. When Nick first premiered, a lot of their programming was purchased in syndication from other networks, or else from Canada. I think the majority of the shows came from Canada, like Pinwheel and Today's Special.

I wouldn't be surprised if Nickelodeon did decide to change their name. Although, they've been going strong for 20-some years now, even though the dreck they show today isn't anywhere near as awesome as what I grew up with.
PRG

An important message for you:

smw543

Postby smw543 » Fri Mar 20, 2009 12:21 pm UTC

I'm still waiting for them to put the final nail in the coffin of my childhood by making a live-action Rocko's Modern Life movie, starring Russel Crowe as Rocko, with zombie Chris Farley as Heffer.
Spoiler:
LE4dGOLEM wrote:Now you know the difference between funny and sad.
Ubik wrote:But I'm too fond of the penis to let it go.
gmalivuk wrote:If you didn't want people to 'mis'understand you, then you probably should have tried saying something less stupid.

Hooch

Postby Hooch » Fri Mar 20, 2009 2:54 pm UTC

Princess Marzipan wrote:Flammable, I don't know what kind of addition you'll make to the forum yet, but know this: I approve the FUCK out of your avatar.

Because seriously. Hooch is really fucking crazy. For real.

FlammableD wrote:^_^

To go even further off topic, I love Hooch so much that I was stupidly excited when he showed up on Dr. Cox's "Never Ever, Ever, Ever, Ever Allowed" in list this season.

Thanks, gentlemen.

PatrickRSGhost wrote:I wouldn't be surprised if Nickelodeon did decide to change their name. Although, they've been going strong for 20-some years now, even though the dreck they show today isn't anywhere near as awesome as what I grew up with.

Hey Arnold!, Kablam!, Angry Beavers, Rocko's Modern Life...these were some of the best shows I'd ever seen, and I still watch them every now and then. In contrast, many cartoons or comedies these days use more silliness than actual humor. I guess that in the ages of 6-12, silliness and humor are somewhat muddled together.
Last edited by Hooch on Sun Mar 22, 2009 2:55 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
LOVE ME
djntd.bandcamp.com
youtube.com/user/DJNTDOfficial

Red Chili

Postby Red Chili » Sun Mar 22, 2009 2:14 am UTC

The only thing I watch on SciFi is Ani-Monday and Doctor Who, so I don't really care too much one way or the other. But it does seem rather stupid.

Jesse
Vocal Terrorist

Postby Jesse » Sun Mar 22, 2009 12:11 pm UTC

http://www.variety.com/article/VR111800 ... id=14&cs=1

Warren Ellis is quoted for truth in there, and the article makes sense.

Cryopyre

Postby Cryopyre » Tue Mar 24, 2009 2:24 am UTC

Belial wrote:
Briareos wrote:But ... SyFy doesn't mean anything.

And "spike" or "oxygen" or "the CW" or "nickelodeon" do?

Because I'm an asshole like this, nickelodeon was an old word for the 5 cent films way back when. So it does mean something.
Felstaff wrote:I actually see what religion is to social, economical and perhaps political progress in a similar way to what war is to technological progress.

Gunfingers wrote:Voting is the power to speak your mind. You, apparently, had nothing to say.

Kazuke

Postby Kazuke » Tue Mar 24, 2009 4:37 am UTC

And Spike is allegedly the "network for men..." and spikes are rather phallic shaped...

Jebobek

Postby Jebobek » Tue Mar 24, 2009 4:43 pm UTC

I always thought "oxygen" was a good name for the network, but I can't put my finger on why the name fits with the type of programming. I kind of think of yoga breathing?

Brooklynxman
Because I'm Awesome

Postby Brooklynxman » Tue Mar 24, 2009 6:17 pm UTC

Sir_Elderberry wrote:
Narsil wrote:Aren't the hip 18-24 year olds way too far into Hulu and torrents to really give a shit? I suppose the ones that weren't would be totally up for this, though. Keep in mind that this is the group of 18-24 year olds that would actually participate in a focus group.

The director of marketing for Head On said that none of their focus groups thought their ads were annoying.

After that, I have decided that focus groups just suck at everything.

No way. No flippin way. Seriously? What did the focus groups say when they didnt have an IV pumping vicodin into their systems?

We spent a lot of time in the ’90s trying to distance the network from science fiction, which is largely why it’s called Sci Fi,” Mr. Brooks said. “It’s somewhat cooler and better than the name ‘Science Fiction.’ But even the name Sci Fi is limiting.”

Why the fucking fuck why would you name a channel Sci Fi, and then try and distance it from Science fiction? Thats like naming a show Monster Truck Rally and trying to not go to or talk about monster truck rallies.

Also, your entire audience is nerds (okay most of it), why are you trying to distance yourself from them? You are like us. Too socially awkward to fit in with the main stream. Don't do it.

I'm still pissed there is no more courtTV.
We figure out what all this means, then do something large and violent

The thing about changing the world...once you do it the world's all different.

I'm Angel. I beat the bad guys.

Spoiler:

frezik

Postby frezik » Thu Mar 26, 2009 12:59 am UTC

JMS had a few good things to say about focus groups. Not many, but some:

He Who's Name is Unspellable wrote: ------------
Category 18, Topic 22
Message 17 Fri Dec 13, 1991
STRACZYNSKI at 03:00 EST

Yeah, we're trying to come up with new ways of doing stuff. Makes it
more interesting.

Quite a day today for B-5...exhausting. First in come the color
portfolios at last, then we have THE FOCUS GROUP!

I know, I know...you're wondering what a focus group is.

The studio pays lotsa bucks to engage a research group to bring in two
groups, one group of women, one group of men. They are then given synopses of
the movie, the series episodes, the characters, all the stuff that for now
can't be posted here. And they get to react, giving us some parameters in
terms of marketing and, to a smaller extent, the story and presentation.

Going in, we were told how it would probably break down: "The women will
love the character stuff, the relationships, and hate the action, and the men
will love the action, but hate the character stuff and the relationships as
'soap opera.'"

Sonuvagun, but that's how it turned out. And after having worked for so
long to convince studio heads that SF fans want other than EFX, there were
these guys saying, "Oh, yeah, special effects is the most important thing to
me...and action, heck, science fiction MEANS action, fights and stuff." I'm
surprised they couldn't hear me banging my head against the wall through the 2-
way observation mirror.

That stuff aside, though, we tested VERY positively, and even got some
good ideas out of it. It was strange, as the person who created all this, to
look out through a 2-way mirror and see, for the first time, "civilians"
discussing the characters and situations of Babylon 5.

One more step on the long road set before us....
------------
Category 18, Topic 22
Message 18 Fri Dec 13, 1991
STRACZYNSKI at 20:51 EST

Believe me, I have no patience with or interest in focus groups or
research or anything of that nature. My feeling is quite simple: in the early
stages of a project, you should be willing to at least *listen* to anyone.
Because sometimes good ideas come from the damndest places. But you can't
WRITE that way. You take all the input, but finally you as the writer have to
sit down and use what makes SENSE in the story. The day I abdicte that
responsibility is the day I get out of the business.
I've never seen a project that was Made by research or studio suits. If it
works, it's because the project stems from one clear vision, and one clear
voice.

Just as one example...while I didn't agree with many reactions of the
"civilians" -- especially since they were working off a summary, not the
complete script -- the one point that *did* strike home was that it takes a
while to get going. We set up suspense, and a lot of time introducing the
characters. But a nice little hook at the beginning, I realized, just a
little fillip, would be a good idea to goose things a bit. Now, I may change
my mind when I get behind the keyboard to revise the script over the Christmas
break (mainly for myself, and my own desire to strengthen the script, which
has been around, after all, for quite some time, and I've learned a lot since
that initial draft), I may decide to jettison that notion, I don't know. But
it's worth considering at the very least.

Fundamentally, if you're going to create a series, write and produce it,
you've got to follow your instincts. Besides, the whole POINT of the exercise
is so that you won't have anyone making decisions for you anymore, you do
what YOU want to do with it, and let the chips fall as they may. To do
otherwise, given the angst involved in getting a series this far, is dirt-
stone-stick stupid.

As for SyFy, they've always been a combination of dumb and brilliant. Canceling a bunch of promising shows (like Mission Genesis) after half a season was dumb. Then Farscape somehow fell through the cracks and became great. Then they canceled Farscape and replaced it with Tremers, which was similar to being great, except the exact opposite. Then they redeemed themselves with Battlestar Galactica.

So I guess we'll see what Caprica does. They've surprised me before after doing a lot of dumb moves.
I do not agree with the beer you drink, but will defend to the death your right to drink it

Red Chili

Postby Red Chili » Sun Mar 29, 2009 9:27 pm UTC

Brooklynxman wrote:I'm still pissed there is no more courtTV.

But you got truTV in return! There is no greater reward than this.

Faranya

Postby Faranya » Mon Mar 30, 2009 3:28 am UTC

I'm just glad I'm in Canada and I can just stick with Space. All they've done is change their logo :D

cephalopod9

Postby cephalopod9 » Mon Mar 30, 2009 11:08 am UTC

Kazuke wrote:And Spike is allegedly the "network for men..." and spikes are rather phallic shaped...
The target audience here and with SyFy sort of puzzles me because the only person I know who watches either channel regularly is my grandmother.
Not that it doesn't make sense, just that it's weird "shows my grandma watches" are supposed to be for young adult men.

Although I will say action and Science Fiction programs would probably do better with female audiences if they would ease up on reminding everyone they're for men.

SyFy should try some independent animation shows, edging in on Adult Swim's market. It would probably fail horribly, but it'd be entertaining for a while and maybe get both networks more attention.

Red Chili

Postby Red Chili » Mon Mar 30, 2009 8:18 pm UTC

C!ph, if your grandmother watches Spike, you may want to check something... like if she isn't your grandfather.

Xeio
Friends, Faidites, Countrymen

Postby Xeio » Mon Mar 30, 2009 8:53 pm UTC

I don't really understand all the hate. It's mostly just a rebranding... to a nearly identical name, supposedly to draw in people who would othewise be off-put by the name Sci Fi. I don't see anyone stopping watching scifi over it, assuming you watch anything on the network already, and maybe it will help their ratings a bit (doubtful, but maybe).

Malice

Postby Malice » Mon Mar 30, 2009 11:59 pm UTC

Xeio wrote:I don't really understand all the hate. It's mostly just a rebranding... to a nearly identical name, supposedly to draw in people who would othewise be off-put by the name Sci Fi. I don't see anyone stopping watching scifi over it, assuming you watch anything on the network already, and maybe it will help their ratings a bit (doubtful, but maybe).

It's insulting in two directions. The one direction says, "Hey, you. You've never watched our channel before, have you? Put off by the name, right? Well, what if we spelled it differently?" It insults the intelligence of people who haven't watched before, by assuming that a minor cosmetic change will trick them into thinking the network is somehow different.
The other direction says, "Hey, you. Loyal viewer? You're a fat nerd who lives in his parents' basement. We don't want to be associated with the likes of you."

Therefore, with one stupid stroke, they have managed to insult most of the people who watch them now and most of the people who don't.

There's a dash of "what the hell is a "syfy", corporate non-language sucks" thrown in, to taste.

cephalopod9

Postby cephalopod9 » Tue Mar 31, 2009 6:06 am UTC

You do have to admit tho', the name change has succeded in getting them attention.

Red Chili wrote:C!ph, if your grandmother watches Spike, you may want to check something... like if she isn't your grandfather.
(I don't know if you're a dude or a lady, but in either case)
See!? SEE?! What's with this hostility towards women taking an interest in nerd culture? What is so manly about Spike besides it's saying "for dudes" all the time? We're on a thread about how stupid these kinds of network marketing strategies are.

Red Chili

Postby Red Chili » Tue Mar 31, 2009 6:35 am UTC

c!phalopod9 wrote:(I don't know if you're a dude or a lady, but in either case)
See!? SEE?! What's with this hostility towards women taking an interest in nerd culture? What is so manly about Spike besides it's saying "for dudes" all the time? We're on a thread about how stupid these kinds of network marketing strategies are.

Have you ever seen Manswers? Spike isn't a "nerd" channel by any stretch; it's the slightly retarded fratboy cousin.

Yakk
Poster with most posts but no title.

Postby Yakk » Tue Mar 31, 2009 10:09 pm UTC

So a theory.

If you want to add yourself to a cable network, being a speciality channel has an advantage. See, the cable channel wants to have things that tempt people to subscribe to the channel: they need a single hook that reels in a single sucker for each sucker.

But once you are widely distributed and on most cable networks, and entrenched enough that the cable networks are unlikely to drop you, it turns out that it is more profitable to show cheap reality TV and reruns of random generic crap, and ignore your speciality channel plan.

Ie: being the SciFi gets the cable provider to add you to the package, but doesn't get you viewers. You get the per-channel money even if you are a crappy SciFi channel: but you only get eyeball money if you reel the most people possible into watching your channel.

Thus the tendency for speciality channels to start out as speciality channels, then morph into yet more cheap and crappy TV.

This isn't good for the cable company -- they want a speciality channel. But by this point, you are entrenched as "the good SciFi channel". Even if you are half as good, it would take a lot of work to fund or find an alternative top-notch SciFi channel to replace you. And if they just dropped you, existing subscribers would be annoyed. The SciFi channel has, in a sense, the cable channel over a barrel.

The viewers are also sort of screwed by this, because even if they want to pay for a SciFi channel, what they get is the least quality SciFi channel that can still elbow competitive SciFi channels out of the marketplace.

There is, in a sense, little incentive for SciFi to be a good SciFi channel. And lots for it to become SyFy, the reality show channel that also shows Xena reruns.
One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision - BR

Last edited by JHVH on Fri Oct 23, 4004 BCE 6:17 pm, edited 6 times in total.

cephalopod9

Postby cephalopod9 » Tue Mar 31, 2009 10:56 pm UTC

That is true, we've also got specialized channels of specialized channels, MTV2, ESPN8, and I don't know how many Disney, Nickelodeon and Cartoon Network spin-offs.

I'm not sure how they're expecting SyFy to bring in veiwers. Maybe they're in a budding stage, and they're going to try SciFi classic or something in a while.

SighFigh has Xena? or is that more of a hypothetical? I've been away from t.v. for a while.
Red Chili wrote:Have you ever seen Manswers? Spike isn't a "nerd" channel by any stretch; it's the slightly retarded fratboy cousin.
...Is this a difference between daytime and after 9pm programming? It seems like durring the day it's mostly, like, CSI, Star Trek and stuff, then after 9 0r 10 it goes to, I don't know, half naked men grappling with eachother. Or was when I watched last.

Xeio
Friends, Faidites, Countrymen

Postby Xeio » Wed Apr 01, 2009 6:56 pm UTC

Yakk wrote:There is, in a sense, little incentive for SciFi to be a good SciFi channel. And lots for it to become SyFy, the reality show channel that also shows Xena reruns.
I'd still say they're a good scifi channel, albeit, they don't show exclusively scifi (more like scifi/fantasy?), though obviously recently (in the past year or so) they started doing stuff like Cha$e, Who wants to be a Superhero, Ani-Monday (my personal favourite of the new stuff, but I don't like reality shows/wrestling), and wrestling. They still do their scifi stuff though, they've just stopped some of the more popular series (honestly, a good thing for SG-1, they butchered it so bad by the end...).

I don't get what the hell they're doing sometimes, like with dropping The Dresden Files, and some of their other recent decisions for programming. I think a name change isn't really all that alienating to the fanbase, than something like... say... wrestling on scifi (which, incidentally, is one of, if not, their highest rating programs sadly).

Jesse
Vocal Terrorist

Postby Jesse » Wed Apr 01, 2009 8:24 pm UTC

ECW is apparently their highest rated program, according to the stats WWE keep showing each week.

Red Chili

Postby Red Chili » Wed Apr 01, 2009 9:21 pm UTC

Jesse wrote:ECW is apparently their highest rated program, according to the stats WWE keep showing each week.

That needs to change. Just... change.

FlammableD

Postby FlammableD » Thu Apr 02, 2009 12:19 am UTC

Red Chili wrote:
Jesse wrote:ECW is apparently their highest rated program, according to the stats WWE keep showing each week.

Meh. Don't see the problem.

Jesse
Vocal Terrorist

Postby Jesse » Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:33 pm UTC

ECW is normally an hour of solid programming, I know I've enjoyed watching it recently.

I should warn you that I am involved with a wrestling gym and my name is now orange again. Be wary of the path you tread.

Red Chili

Postby Red Chili » Sun Apr 05, 2009 2:57 pm UTC

Everybody knows wrestling's fake...

Just what are you implying?

quintopia

Postby quintopia » Fri Apr 10, 2009 1:42 pm UTC

I would be in a focus group. $100 for an hour of talking? All over it.

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.
Location: UK/[St. Kitts and] Nevis Occasionally, I migrate to the US for a bit

Postby Angua » Sun Apr 19, 2009 7:33 pm UTC

FlammableD wrote:
Red Chili wrote:

Meh. Don't see the problem.
While there may be nothing wrong with wrestling in general, it is in no way SciFi (I suppose you could place in under fantasy at a stretch). I think that this new name change sucks, it just looks like they've misspelt it, and I get annoyed enough with text speak when using it to save money on phones, let alone when it isn't needed.
Crabtree's bludgeon: “no set of mutually inconsistent observations can exist for which some human intellect cannot conceive a coherent explanation, however complicated”
GNU Terry Pratchett

TheAmazingRando

Re: SciFi changes to SyFy (Everyone is pleased)

Postby TheAmazingRando » Sun Apr 19, 2009 11:35 pm UTC

I'm only surprised that they're sticking with something so similar. The SciFi brand is practically synonymous with unbelievably shitty television movies, I would expect them to want to distance themselves from that as much as possible.

Joeldi

Postby Joeldi » Mon Apr 20, 2009 6:43 am UTC

Yakk wrote:stuff about why cable companies can't drop channels that lose their speciality

What if rather than just dropping a channel, they made it optional (or warned the channel that they would if ratings began to suffer), and dropped their price by a tiny fraction.
I already have a hate thread. Necromancy > redundancy here, so post there.

roc314 wrote:America is a police state that communicates in txt speak...

"i hav teh dissentors brb""¡This cheese is burning me! u pwnd them bff""thx ur cool 2"

TheAmazingRando

Postby TheAmazingRando » Mon Apr 20, 2009 7:38 am UTC

Joeldi wrote:What if rather than just dropping a channel, they made it optional (or warned the channel that they would if ratings began to suffer), and dropped their price by a tiny fraction.

The problem is that, even if they get little critical acclaim, they're still getting the viewers. They wouldn't be branching out if it didn't increase their audience. It becomes more popular, it just also becomes less essential. It would be pretty hard for the cable provider to pin lost sales on a channel they carry that is, financially, doing quite well, and it would raise quite a shitstorm if they were to remove a channel their subscribers enjoyed just because their non-subscribers were indifferent towards it.

Yubtzock

Postby Yubtzock » Mon Apr 20, 2009 5:50 pm UTC

I'm only surprised that they're sticking with something so similar. The SciFi brand is practically synonymous with unbelievably shitty television movies, I would expect them to want to distance themselves from that as much as possible.

Umm... Syfy in polish means crap(s), dirt(s), syphilis. It is a plural form of syf: dictionary (yeah, it's countable in polish),

therefore I find it kinda crap for a channel name. In other words, they FAILed.

thatguy

Postby thatguy » Mon Apr 20, 2009 6:41 pm UTC

Yubtzock wrote:

Umm... Syfy in polish means crap(s), dirt(s), syphilis. It is a plural form of syf: dictionary (yeah, it's countable in polish),

therefore I find it kinda crap for a channel name. In other words, they FAILed.

Wow. We did not realize that.

Chai Kovsky wrote:Thatguy, you are my Big Damn Hero!
Thank you! You win the day!

Yubtzock

Postby Yubtzock » Mon Apr 20, 2009 8:37 pm UTC

honestly... i'm not up to date with PA. bad me...

but that's not all. "Same syfy" is an obvious colloquial response to polish question "Co leci?" ("What's on?") So it's second worst foreign trademark name in Poland.

Spoiler:
Worst of all is OSRAM. "Osram (cię)" means "I'll shit (on you)".

Hooch

Postby Hooch » Mon Apr 20, 2009 11:04 pm UTC

I think most of us can agree that the name change will bring few benefits.
LOVE ME
djntd.bandcamp.com
youtube.com/user/DJNTDOfficial

modularblues

Postby modularblues » Sun Apr 04, 2010 6:16 am UTC

Xeio wrote:I don't get what the hell they're doing sometimes, like with dropping The Dresden Files, and some of their other recent decisions for programming. I think a name change isn't really all that alienating to the fanbase, than something like... say... wrestling on scifi (which, incidentally, is one of, if not, their highest rating programs sadly).

I was pretty unhappy that happened. Where else am I going to find a wizard in hoodies with a hockey stick and drumstick? :(

Return to “Movies and TV Shows”