Jane Austen, back from the Dawn of the Dead

A slow, analog alternative to the internet

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

User avatar
steewi
Posts: 873
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2008 3:38 am UTC
Location: Tropical Nowhere

Jane Austen, back from the Dawn of the Dead

Postby steewi » Tue Apr 14, 2009 10:25 am UTC

I just had an odd thought. I checked to see if there was a topic for this already. Why not?

Probably because I never made it.

Have you heard about this?

Equal parts travesty and awesome, I give you (in metaphorical form only) Pride and Prejudice and Zombies.

User avatar
6453893
Posts: 557
Joined: Wed Dec 13, 2006 2:40 am UTC
Location: Australia

Re: Jane Austen, back from the Dawn of the Dead

Postby 6453893 » Tue Apr 14, 2009 12:19 pm UTC

Everybody on earth has heard of this. It is as terrible as you'd expect.

User avatar
SecondTalon
SexyTalon
Posts: 26516
Joined: Sat May 05, 2007 2:10 pm UTC
Location: Louisville, Kentucky, USA, Mars. HA!
Contact:

Re: Jane Austen, back from the Dawn of the Dead

Postby SecondTalon » Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:06 pm UTC

6453893 wrote:Everybody on earth has heard of this. It is as terrible as you'd expect.
I'd expect it to be awesome, so...
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

User avatar
Kizyr
Posts: 2070
Joined: Wed Nov 15, 2006 4:16 am UTC
Location: Virginia
Contact:

Re: Jane Austen, back from the Dawn of the Dead

Postby Kizyr » Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:51 pm UTC

It's probably the only format in which I'd revisit Pride and Prejudice. I got through it the first time (well, two-thirds of it before giving up) by pretending that everyone was eventually going to get tuberculosis and die before the end.

I'm more interested in the kind of reception it'll receive, though, than actually reading it myself. KF
~Kizyr
Image

User avatar
michaelandjimi
Isn't Even Playing
Posts: 2353
Joined: Sun Feb 10, 2008 8:21 am UTC
Location: Citizen of the World
Contact:

Re: Jane Austen, back from the Dawn of the Dead

Postby michaelandjimi » Wed Apr 15, 2009 11:01 am UTC

In a similar vein, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Undead needs to get its vampiric ass released already.
Whelan wrote:Relax, have a good time, and hope for the bees ;)

User avatar
steewi
Posts: 873
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2008 3:38 am UTC
Location: Tropical Nowhere

Re: Jane Austen, back from the Dawn of the Dead

Postby steewi » Thu Apr 16, 2009 1:09 am UTC

I'm one of the odd men around who actually *like* Pride and Prejudice. I think that there's a lot of silliness around the book and it's adaptations. Sure, everyone's heard of this new one, but will you read it?

The reviews so far seem to be mostly "Love the idea, not a brilliant realisation." That's pretty much the point, as far as I'm concerned. It didn't have to be a brilliant readaptation. I don't think it needs to be filmed. But the novelty of it is something else.

User avatar
6453893
Posts: 557
Joined: Wed Dec 13, 2006 2:40 am UTC
Location: Australia

Re: Jane Austen, back from the Dawn of the Dead

Postby 6453893 » Fri Apr 17, 2009 2:23 am UTC

Seth Grahame-Smith's writing is not brilliant, certainly that is one way of phrasing it. His writing is so atrocious, so riddled with cliché and C-Movie dialogue, you will be compelled to skip his passages and just read Pride and Prejudice. Don't believe me? The Bennet sisters actually have a combat position called Pentagram of Death. I loved the idea, like most others, and the cover tickled me. I agree that "It didn't have to be a brilliant readaptation [sic]", but it had to be passable at least. I hesitate to call it English.

User avatar
michaelandjimi
Isn't Even Playing
Posts: 2353
Joined: Sun Feb 10, 2008 8:21 am UTC
Location: Citizen of the World
Contact:

Re: Jane Austen, back from the Dawn of the Dead

Postby michaelandjimi » Sat Apr 18, 2009 7:07 am UTC

6453893 wrote:His writing is so atrocious, so riddled with cliché and C-Movie dialogue, you will be compelled to skip his passages and just read Pride and Prejudice. Don't believe me? The Bennet sisters actually have a combat position called Pentagram of Death.
...You've phrased it in such a way that it looks like you're insulting it, but I'm only seeing a compliment.

"Watchmen is terrible! Don't believe me? It's a groundbreaking comic with interesting characters and a powerful message!"
Whelan wrote:Relax, have a good time, and hope for the bees ;)

User avatar
6453893
Posts: 557
Joined: Wed Dec 13, 2006 2:40 am UTC
Location: Australia

Re: Jane Austen, back from the Dawn of the Dead

Postby 6453893 » Sat Apr 18, 2009 10:19 am UTC

If it compels any bottom dwelling sci-fi fetishists to read Austen, then I suppose that's a plus.

User avatar
Sarr
Posts: 891
Joined: Tue Oct 02, 2007 9:34 pm UTC

Re: Jane Austen, back from the Dawn of the Dead

Postby Sarr » Sat Apr 18, 2009 1:38 pm UTC

Donno about the rest of you, but I can't wait for Pride and Predator.
Rakysh wrote:Basically, xkcd is basically for punching into submission the dumb frat guy in your brain.

User avatar
Macbi
Posts: 941
Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2007 8:32 am UTC
Location: UKvia

Re: Jane Austen, back from the Dawn of the Dead

Postby Macbi » Sat Apr 18, 2009 8:17 pm UTC

Sarr wrote:Donno about the rest of you, but I can't wait for Pride and Predator.
Is that just about lions?
    Indigo is a lie.
    Which idiot decided that websites can't go within 4cm of the edge of the screen?
    There should be a null word, for the question "Is anybody there?" and to see if microphones are on.

User avatar
reishka
Posts: 368
Joined: Wed Sep 19, 2007 7:53 am UTC
Location: H20Bury, CT
Contact:

Re: Jane Austen, back from the Dawn of the Dead

Postby reishka » Sat Apr 18, 2009 8:59 pm UTC

steewi wrote:I just had an odd thought. I checked to see if there was a topic for this already. Why not?

Probably because I never made it.

Have you heard about this?

Equal parts travesty and awesome, I give you (in metaphorical form only) Pride and Prejudice and Zombies.


I wanted to go pick this up last weekend, and the bookstore was out. :( So I haven't gotten to even browse it yet.

User avatar
Blokey
Posts: 531
Joined: Fri Jul 11, 2008 3:17 am UTC
Location: Lahndahn, Merrie Olde Englande

Re: Jane Austen, back from the Dawn of the Dead

Postby Blokey » Sun Apr 19, 2009 6:37 am UTC

Sarr wrote:Donno about the rest of you, but I can't wait for Pride and Predator.


Well fuck me sideways and call me Sally. I thought that was just a clever pun. But no! The Guardian and The BBC confirm this will in fact be a real film. Produced by Elton John no less.

I am going to be lacking in the patience department until such a time as Mr. Darcy drops the line: "My dear Elizabeth, 'tis a most singular observation that if it doth hemorrhage, it may also be shed of its corporeal form."
Image
Only the tone of your own inner monologue separates a reading of superciliousness or philanthropy - Felstaff

User avatar
waffle flop
Posts: 9
Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2009 4:00 am UTC
Location: Alabama

Re: Jane Austen, back from the Dawn of the Dead

Postby waffle flop » Fri Aug 07, 2009 4:24 pm UTC

I'm about half way done with my copy of Pride and Prejudice and Zombies and I rather enjoy it. It was a nearly painful experience to endure reading the original, but now that the text has been hijacked and turned into a zombie thriller...well, need I say more?

User avatar
Manifold
Posts: 33
Joined: Wed Aug 05, 2009 1:07 pm UTC

Re: Jane Austen, back from the Dawn of the Dead

Postby Manifold » Fri Aug 07, 2009 11:07 pm UTC

steewi wrote:I'm one of the odd men around who actually *like* Pride and Prejudice.


I'm one of these men. I agreed with a friend to swap books. She would read some science fiction, and I would read one of her 'classics'. She ended up with 'A Fall of Moondust' by Arthur C. Clarke, easily one of the more readable books of that genre, and I got dumped with P&P. Took me a week to read the whole thing where it would normally take two days for that kind of page count and I came away thinking in paragraph long sentences for a few days..

Needless to say, she enjoyed her Moondust, I enjoyed P&P, though I suspect she had much of an easier time of it. I think I read most of the paragraphs in P&P at least twice.

As to why I enjoyed it? Maybe there is a secret romantic buried deep inside us all. Maybe mine isn't as deep as I like to pretend.
icanus wrote: Pigs are a bit of an edge case, but I square eating them because 1. they're delicious, and 2. a pig tried to eat me once.

User avatar
Kizyr
Posts: 2070
Joined: Wed Nov 15, 2006 4:16 am UTC
Location: Virginia
Contact:

Re: Jane Austen, back from the Dawn of the Dead

Postby Kizyr » Fri Aug 07, 2009 11:10 pm UTC

Manifold wrote:I'm one of these men. I agreed with a friend to swap books. She would read some science fiction, and I would read one of her 'classics'. She ended up with 'A Fall of Moondust' by Arthur C. Clarke, easily one of the more readable books of that genre, and I got dumped with P&P. Took me a week to read the whole thing where it would normally take two days for that kind of page count and I came away thinking in paragraph long sentences for a few days..

Incidentally, that's the same circumstance under which I read P&P, only with completely different results. She read 1984 and didn't like it that much, and I came away with a deep loathing of Jane Austen.

I suppose it was inevitable that that relationship ended. KF
~Kizyr
Image

User avatar
seabee
Posts: 5
Joined: Tue Oct 28, 2008 1:30 am UTC

Re: Jane Austen, back from the Dawn of the Dead

Postby seabee » Fri Aug 07, 2009 11:14 pm UTC

6453893 wrote: ... skip his passages and just read Pride and Prejudice.


Pretty spot on.

I got a big kick out of the book for sure. But it felt like the zombie bits were strewn haphazardly throughout the story. It was distracting.

User avatar
Manifold
Posts: 33
Joined: Wed Aug 05, 2009 1:07 pm UTC

Re: Jane Austen, back from the Dawn of the Dead

Postby Manifold » Fri Aug 07, 2009 11:20 pm UTC

Kizyr wrote:
Manifold wrote:I'm one of these men. I agreed with a friend to swap books. She would read some science fiction, and I would read one of her 'classics'. She ended up with 'A Fall of Moondust' by Arthur C. Clarke, easily one of the more readable books of that genre, and I got dumped with P&P. Took me a week to read the whole thing where it would normally take two days for that kind of page count and I came away thinking in paragraph long sentences for a few days..

Incidentally, that's the same circumstance under which I read P&P, only with completely different results. She read 1984 and didn't like it that much, and I came away with a deep loathing of Jane Austen.

I suppose it was inevitable that that relationship ended. KF

My belated consolations (no sarcasm).
icanus wrote: Pigs are a bit of an edge case, but I square eating them because 1. they're delicious, and 2. a pig tried to eat me once.

User avatar
steewi
Posts: 873
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2008 3:38 am UTC
Location: Tropical Nowhere

Re: Jane Austen, back from the Dawn of the Dead

Postby steewi » Tue Aug 11, 2009 12:47 am UTC

This thread reminds me that I never actually finished P&P&Z. The novelty was great! But the reality was a little disappointing.

User avatar
EMTP
Posts: 1556
Joined: Wed Jul 22, 2009 7:39 pm UTC
Location: Elbow deep in (mostly) other people's blood.

Re: Jane Austen, back from the Dawn of the Dead

Postby EMTP » Wed Aug 26, 2009 4:34 am UTC

Manifold wrote:I'm one of the odd men around who actually *like* Pride and Prejudice.


So am I. I also like Persuasion, and Emma, and Mansfield Park, minus all the anti-theater crap subplot.

Jane Austen is one of the greats. She's not a romance novelist, any more than any other great novelist -- any more than Shakespeare, who wrote about boys and girls getting together or breaking up incessantly. Who do you think said:

Life is indeed dangerous, but not in the way morality would have us believe. It is indeed unmanageable, but the essence of it is not a battle. It is unmanageable because it is a romance, and its essence is romantic beauty.


That was EM Forester -- a guy.

Jane Austen gets the romance rap because who is going to marry whom is a big issue in her stories. It's big not only for all the usual reasons, but because in the circles Austen knew and was writing about, marriage had a huge impact on money, the structure of the household, independence or the lack of it, and what kind of people you, the aristocrat, were going to spend your immense amount of free time with.

I don't really see P&P as about romance. For me it's more about appearances -- how they lead us astray, who's impressions can be trusted, how we reinforce our hasty conclusions about people by shoehorning the evidence into our preexisting theory. Xkcd'rs should like Darcy -- he's kind of a proto-geek. He's smart, he's rich, he's handsome, but he's so socially awkward people hate the sight of him and abuse him behind his back. He's completely unable to compromise with the world and even to realize that he has to. P&P is a novel where the girl has to reappraise the geek and the geek has to realize he's been arrogant and stiff-necked. It's a great story.
"Reasonable – that is, human – men will always be capable of compromise, but men who have dehumanized themselves by becoming the blind worshipers of an idea or an ideal are fanatics whose devotion to abstractions makes them the enemies of life."
-- Alan Watts, "The Way of Zen"


Return to “Books”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests