Pens (and now pencils, too)

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

dalahäst

Pens (and now pencils, too)

Postby dalahäst » Sun Apr 26, 2009 3:18 am UTC

Is anyone else here picky about pens? I love pens, I keep a cup (which I got from Nintendo World in New York City, which was awesome) stocked with my favourite pens. At the moment:

• 4 Pilot G-2 0.7mm, blue
• 4 Pilot G-2 0.5mm, black
• 2 Uni-ball Vision Elite 0.5mm, black
• 1 Uni-ball Vision Elite, 0.5mm, red
• 2 Uni-ball Signo 207 0.7mm, black
• 1 Uni-ball Signo 207 0.7mm, blue
• 1 Uni-ball Signo 207 0.7mm, red
• 5 Sharpie pens (you know, those new ones), black
• 1 Sharpie pen, green
• 1 Sharpie pen, blue
• 1 Sharpie pen, red
• 1 Pilot Precise V5, black (note that V5 = 0.5mm, V7 = 0.7mm)
• 1 Pilot Precise V5, blue
• 1 Pilot Precise V5, red

As you can see, I'm pretty well-stocked. I also keep a box with some other good pens in it, that I don't use often enough to keep in my cup (for instance, the 5 pens with brushes for tips).
Last edited by dalahäst on Sun Apr 26, 2009 8:20 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Gentlelady

Re: Pens

Postby Gentlelady » Sun Apr 26, 2009 3:23 am UTC

I have about six different kinds of pens always in my purse. And at home I have tons of them. I love pens, just not enough to maintain a strict inventory of them.

Though I do receive catalogs for different fountain pens. I almost started collecting them but I refuse to pay $1000 for a damn pen.
d33p wrote:And Karma rode upon a pale horse, and GentleLady followed behind.
sleepygamer wrote:Once you go sleepy you never go backy.

Kizyr

Postby Kizyr » Sun Apr 26, 2009 3:25 am UTC

The Pilot Precise V5 (Black) pen is the only one I like using. I always have at least one with me (and use it in place of whatever pens are around--signing checks or receipts, for instance). I do a lot of writing, and hate having to apply pressure when I write, so the way that the Pilot one glides over the paper without any effort makes it the only one I'm comfortable using for an extended time. Besides that, the only other pens I keep with me are other Pilot Precise V5 ones in black, red, and blue.

I'll sometimes have a regular ballpoint pen on me in case someone else needs to borrow it. I get really irritated when people borrow my pens and forget to get them back to me (not realizing that those Pilot ones are about $2 each).

Oh, yeah, to answer your question, I am rather picky about my writing implements. KF

(EDIT: That's the first time I've ever made the you're/your mistake... Crap, I must be slipping!)
Last edited by Kizyr on Sun Apr 26, 2009 7:53 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
~Kizyr

Exotria

Postby Exotria » Sun Apr 26, 2009 3:26 am UTC

I just buy a bunch of Pentel R.S.V.P.'s and restock when my pile runs out. Wonderful pens, those.
Elvish Pillager wrote:
niolosoiale wrote:So which side of the fence would you say I'm on? Why?

The confusing one. I think you should pick a different fence.

dalahäst

Postby dalahäst » Sun Apr 26, 2009 3:29 am UTC

Kizyr wrote:The Pilot Precise V5 (Black) pen is the only one I like using. I always have at least one with me (and use it in place of whatever pens are around--signing checks or receipts, for instance). I do a lot of writing, and hate having to apply pressure when I write, so the way that the Pilot one glides over the paper without any effort makes it the only one I'm comfortable using for an extended time. Besides that, the only other pens I keep with me are other Pilot Precise V5 ones in black, red, and blue.

I'll sometimes have a regular ballpoint pen on me in case someone else needs to borrow it. I get really irritated when people borrow my pens and forget to get them back to me (not realizing that those Pilot ones are about $2 each).

Oh, yeah, to answer you're question, I am rather picky about my writing implements. KF

I don't let most people borrow my pens, and if I let them use one I make sure it's given back as soon as the person's done with it, to the point where I will pace all around the person while they use it.

Dromtry

Postby Dromtry » Sun Apr 26, 2009 3:52 am UTC

Currently I just use a fine point Pilot G-2. Smooth write, comfortable, durable, and cheap. I was using Sharpie pens, but they're too fragile.

I am really interested in getting a really nice fountain pen.
~steve

Gentlelady

Postby Gentlelady » Sun Apr 26, 2009 3:58 am UTC

Dromtry wrote:Currently I just use a fine point Pilot G-2. Smooth write, comfortable, durable, and cheap. I was using Sharpie pens, but they're too fragile.

Here is one the catalogs I get for fountain pens. If I find the other links I'll make sure to send them your way.
d33p wrote:And Karma rode upon a pale horse, and GentleLady followed behind.
sleepygamer wrote:Once you go sleepy you never go backy.

Carnildo

Postby Carnildo » Sun Apr 26, 2009 4:03 am UTC

I have something that can put ink on paper. Usually.

Qoppa

Postby Qoppa » Sun Apr 26, 2009 4:12 am UTC

Code: Select all

_=0,w=-1,(*t)(int,int);a()??<char*p="[gd\
~/d~/\\b\x7F\177l*~/~djal{x}h!\005h";(++w
<033)?(putchar((*t)(w??(p:>,w?_:0XD)),a()
):0;%>O(x,l)??<_='['/7;{return!(x%(_-11))
?x??'l:x^(1+ ++l);}??>main(){t=&O;w=a();}

dalahäst

Postby dalahäst » Sun Apr 26, 2009 4:34 am UTC

Someone should have thought about that domain before registering it.

kgirlfae

Postby kgirlfae » Sun Apr 26, 2009 5:18 am UTC

dalahäst wrote:• 5 Sharpie pens (you know, those new ones), black
• 1 Sharpie pen, green
• 1 Sharpie pen, blue
• 1 Sharpie pen, red

These are all I use anymore. I love them. They write with amazing smoothness and I love how the ink looks.

I'd even go so far as to say that if Sharpie pens came in human form, I love them so much I'd probably cheat on my husband with them.

Before my beloved sharpie pens, I was a very big fan of these

Alpha Omicron

Postby Alpha Omicron » Sun Apr 26, 2009 6:17 am UTC

/me needs a pencils thread.
Here is a link to a page which leverages aggregation of my tweetbook social blogomedia.

Rakysh

Postby Rakysh » Sun Apr 26, 2009 6:21 am UTC

For me, it's whatever I can get my hands on (I lose pens so often I have to take like three to school each day.) but given a choice, I'd rather use a printer and a word processor. My handwriting is god awful.

asad137

Postby asad137 » Sun Apr 26, 2009 6:28 am UTC

Bic Round Stic, medium point, blue. I think I'm just not that picky about pens. Though I used to have an aluminum Koh-I-Noor pen that I LOVED. Ever since I lost it, I haven't been able to love a pen since...

Asad

Helios471

Postby Helios471 » Sun Apr 26, 2009 7:04 am UTC

I must have a gutter mind. I keep reading the thread title as "Penis".

On Topic: I've used a number of pens I like, but my handwriting is so terrible that it just doesn't seem right to use them.

dalahäst

Postby dalahäst » Sun Apr 26, 2009 7:07 am UTC

Rakysh wrote:For me, it's whatever I can get my hands on (I lose pens so often I have to take like three to school each day.) but given a choice, I'd rather use a printer and a word processor. My handwriting is god awful.

Granted, I usually prefer my Mac and wireless printing via the downstairs Mac (got my parents to switch recently). Sometimes that's not an option (worksheets for school, etc.), so it's nice to have good pens. And it's always cool to whip out a nice-looking pen from your pocket when you have to sign something instead of one of those Bic pens (which, for the price, aren't that bad I suppose) where you have to make little circles to get the ink flowing, only to have your first stroke start with an ink-blob.

Also +1 for misreading of thread title.

Xeio
Friends, Faidites, Countrymen

Postby Xeio » Sun Apr 26, 2009 7:11 am UTC

Oooo, definitely the pilot G-2. My whole family stared at me funny when I hugged a new pack of them. :P

Helios471

Postby Helios471 » Sun Apr 26, 2009 7:16 am UTC

dalahäst wrote:Also +1 for misreading of thread title.
Didn't you create the title?

dalahäst

Postby dalahäst » Sun Apr 26, 2009 7:20 am UTC

Yes. I misread titles sometimes too actually. I'm experiencing that condition where if I try to think of an example of something (like this), I can't do it, but if I'm not thinking about it an example will randomly pop back into my head.

Helios471

Postby Helios471 » Sun Apr 26, 2009 7:31 am UTC

Penis Penis Penis Penis.

There we go, got it out of my system.

dalahäst

Postby dalahäst » Sun Apr 26, 2009 8:04 am UTC

Maybe it's just because I did a little fencing tournament today, but your avatar totally looks like épée fencing.

Rakysh

Postby Rakysh » Sun Apr 26, 2009 8:07 am UTC

How'd the tournament go?

[/offtopic]

The best pen I ever did see was one which someone had stuck in a Bunsen burner then twisted, so the whole thing was kind of like a screw. Utterly idiotic, but it looked awesome. And actually relatively clever for my chemistry class, as someone once stuck a mercury thermometer into the flame of a Bunsen to "see how hot it was". The thermometer burst, and he tried to scrape up the mercury with his hands.

Can anyone pen spin?

fyrenwater

Postby fyrenwater » Sun Apr 26, 2009 10:45 am UTC

Rakysh wrote:Can anyone pen spin?

*raises hand*
And I'm even Asian and everything. XD

I'm actually not that picky about my pens. I haven't bought a pen since grade school. All my writing implements are found or picked up. People leave class and forget their pen? It's mine. Free advertising pens? Sure, I'll take one. Ballpoint on the ground? Why not? I've got a shoebox full of pens and they didn't cost me a thing. :D

Although I'm pickier about my inking pens. Needs to be thin black ink that flows evenly. I prefer 0.5mm tips, but I have variations for different needs. Black gel pens (the generic kind that are sold as writing pens) actually work pretty well.
[edit] Pilot pens are great for inking. I try to swipe legitimately claim after someone abandons one every chance I get.
...It made more sense in my head.

the_bandersnatch
Actually not so frumious.
Location: on a bed in a room inside a TV in a hotel room in a hotel on a Monopoly board

Postby the_bandersnatch » Sun Apr 26, 2009 12:17 pm UTC

Pens! They're the best friends you can have. Everything I know about people I learned from pens. If they don't work, you shake 'em. If they still don't work, you chuck 'em away, bin them!
In girum imus nocte, et consumimur igni

seladore

Postby seladore » Sun Apr 26, 2009 12:22 pm UTC

dalahäst wrote:Someone should have thought about that domain before registering it.

I think that site is a joke... if I recall, you can't actually buy anything on it.

Sungura
When life gives you banananas, make bananana bread

Postby Sungura » Sun Apr 26, 2009 12:22 pm UTC

PENS!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have tiny tiny tiny handwriting so I need nice tiny pens (by tiny, I mean like 0.3mm or smaller) I usually purchase pen sets from the art store (I like to have varied colors to color-coordinate my note-taking). I really like my set of Staedtler Triplus Fineliners. Actually, most of my best pens I have noticed have the "Made in Germany" label. Germans must know how to make good pens. Those are 0.3mm. I also have a set of 0.1mm that I really like. Those, I never let anyone borrow because the tips are somewhat fragile and if you have a heavy hand or even moderate hand you'll quickly ruin them. I have a very light hand so I'm find writing with them.

My mom even found me a 0.3mm pencil at the art store! This is my favorite pencil to write with.
"Would you rather fight a Sungura-sized spider or 1000 spider-sized Sunguras?" -Zarq
she/<any gender neutral>/snug

Qoppa

Postby Qoppa » Sun Apr 26, 2009 4:19 pm UTC

Alpha Omicron wrote:/me needs a pencils thread.

Pretty much. Or I could pretend this is a generic writing utensils thread. I think I'll do that.

I need to write with pencil. Ink smudges when I write with pen. Also I mess up way too much, and since I like everything looking nice, I need to be able to fix mistakes. My standard go-to pencil is this. They are amazing.

Code: Select all

_=0,w=-1,(*t)(int,int);a()??<char*p="[gd\
~/d~/\\b\x7F\177l*~/~djal{x}h!\005h";(++w
<033)?(putchar((*t)(w??(p:>,w?_:0XD)),a()
):0;%>O(x,l)??<_='['/7;{return!(x%(_-11))
?x??'l:x^(1+ ++l);}??>main(){t=&O;w=a();}

Alpha Omicron

Postby Alpha Omicron » Sun Apr 26, 2009 4:33 pm UTC

For pencils, I go with Dixon Ticonderogas and Sanford Eagles.
Dixon has these Teflon-coated things with rounded triangular cross-sections called Tri-Conderogas (har har), which are pretty awesome.
Here is a link to a page which leverages aggregation of my tweetbook social blogomedia.

Dromtry

Postby Dromtry » Sun Apr 26, 2009 4:41 pm UTC

Gentlelady wrote:
Dromtry wrote:Currently I just use a fine point Pilot G-2. Smooth write, comfortable, durable, and cheap. I was using Sharpie pens, but they're too fragile.

Here is one the catalogs I get for fountain pens. If I find the other links I'll make sure to send them your way.

Thanks for the link, I'll take a look and see what I find.

Sungura wrote:Actually, most of my best pens I have noticed have the "Made in Germany" label. Germans must know how to make good pens.

"You know the Germans always make good stuff."

These are the pencils I use. They're cheap and feel nice to the hand, but it has a weird hexagonal shape to the shaft which will eventually wear off, also, Bic's pencil mechanism likes to break down after a while, and the tip is weak plastic that can fold in on itself, and occasionally I'll have to open it up with a paper clip, even to one occasion where I needed to write immediately and had no paperclip, so I ended up snapping the tip off in my mouth. I can get four months out of a pencil, which is really good for all the various problems. After about two months the mechanism loses the feel it had with a strong click, and it begins to make a telltale sound which warns of its eminent demise.

Actually, I don't know why I still use those pencils. Maybe because I have a metric ton of them in my room.

Also: I have tried a Tricon before, and it felt too small. I'm also not a fan of sharpening anymore. You get a perfect tip, and then it gets ruined. No uniformity.
~steve

Zeroignite
Commencing Countdown, Engines On

Postby Zeroignite » Sun Apr 26, 2009 5:59 pm UTC

Alpha Omicron wrote:For pencils, I go with Dixon Ticonderogas and Sanford Eagles.
Dixon has these Teflon-coated things with rounded triangular cross-sections called Tri-Conderogas (har har), which are pretty awesome.
The Ticonderogas are, in my opinion, the best kind of pencil around. Good weight, sharpen well, and have an eraser that is actually effective. I like their black version even better, both for the non-yellowness and the slightly silkier texture.

I do not like mechanical pencils.

Pens are occasionally useful, but mostly I prefer pencils. I like the Uni-ball series (but they have a tendency to leak), and the Pilot series. What I really want is a Fischer Pen, but I can't justify spending $25 on a writing tool I'd probably lose.
She/her/hers
Avatar sketched by Hazel / drawn by Amii

Velict

Postby Velict » Sun Apr 26, 2009 6:15 pm UTC

I use on a regular basis:

Pilot Precise V5s:
    2 red
    2 blue
    1 black
EXPO dry erase markers (I own a small dry erase board, and my school uses tons of them):
    2 black
    1 red
    1 green
    1 blue
Sharpies:
    2 black
Misc:
    1 Aurora Talentum Basic (black) to use when signing things

I'm not really a big pen guy. So long as it does the job well, I'll use it (the exception being my Aurora, which is just one of those little luxuries I like to indulge myself in).

Alpha Omicron

Postby Alpha Omicron » Sun Apr 26, 2009 6:30 pm UTC

What the world needs are hip pocket protectors made to fit into jeans pockets.

dalahäst

Postby dalahäst » Sun Apr 26, 2009 6:53 pm UTC

Alpha Omicron wrote:What the world needs are hip pocket protectors made to fit into jeans pockets.

If you didn't notice, with the exception of the Sharpie pens, all my pens are Japanese-made. *checks Sharpie pens* Doesn't say where, I'm assuming US. In my experience, I've only ever had one Japanese pen that leaked, a blue Uni-ball.

Hm, "all my pens are Japanese-made" sounds kind of snobby.

Alpha Omicron

Postby Alpha Omicron » Sun Apr 26, 2009 7:26 pm UTC

I don't care about leaking pens, I just want to be nerd-chic and also have a convenient place for my pens and pencils. Although, in the jeans pocket, it might be a hassle to sit down with one.

Also, requesting title change to include pencils, since there's been some discussion along those lines.

Xeio
Friends, Faidites, Countrymen

Postby Xeio » Sun Apr 26, 2009 7:32 pm UTC

I've never actually seen a pen leak that someone wasn't chewing on or something. Incidentally, WHY DO PEOPLE CHEW ON THEIR PENS (or pencils)? WTF?

rnew
RAAAAAAGGGHHH I'M A DINOSAUR

Postby rnew » Sun Apr 26, 2009 7:38 pm UTC

I use a black biro.
Box of 50 for £1.
Meowgan wrote:Rnew, you're so hot. Boom!
Zohar wrote:Seriously rnew, I cannot get over how awesome your avatar is. It brings up a smile every time I see it.

Subliminity
needs friends

Postby Subliminity » Sun Apr 26, 2009 7:41 pm UTC

4 Pilot G-2 0.5mm, black

THAT'S IT. For school, they're perfect. Since I'm left-handed, they don't smear. They have a very fine point, and write insanely smooth.

blackrose

Postby blackrose » Sun Apr 26, 2009 8:02 pm UTC

I don't really care for pens. too permanent for me. I like my pentel graphgear 1000 for writing and working equations. I also love the feel of chalk, thus I have a chalkboard to do my homework with, which I then transfer to paper via pencil. (w00t for projective geometry!)
I don't watch 24 hour news channels because they are retarded.

dalahäst

Postby dalahäst » Sun Apr 26, 2009 8:17 pm UTC

Subliminity wrote:4 Pilot G-2 0.5mm, black

THAT'S IT. For school, they're perfect. Since I'm left-handed, they don't smear. They have a very fine point, and write insanely smooth.

Aren't they awesome? I usually end up using G-2s or Precise V5s for worksheets printed on recycled paper, they work wonders on that stuff. Pencils are a waste of time on those, they come up all light and hard to read.

Pentel's Graphgear looks nice, but I don't think I've ever seen a place around here that carries pencils like that.

rath358
The bone of my bone

Re: Pens (and now pencils, too)

Postby rath358 » Sun Apr 26, 2009 8:51 pm UTC

GAH! MUST KILL PEN SNOBS!
phew...that was good to release...
all my writing utensils seem to be disciples of Houdini, so favorites aren't favorites for long.
I love mechanical pencil, but they disappear faster. Especially the operational ones...the broken ones stay put...
I end up stuck using mostly plain old pencilstm.

Return to “General”