0583: "CNR"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

skordge

Re: "CNR" Discussion

Postby skordge » Wed May 13, 2009 6:01 pm UTC

Even if they could reproduce, they shouldn't - regression testing would be nightmarish.
What do you mean, 'booze ain't food'?!

SirMustapha

Postby SirMustapha » Wed May 13, 2009 6:07 pm UTC

I found the strip really funny even BEFORE noticing the pun.

Matter of fact, the strip might have been even FUNNIER before I noticed the pun. It looked definitely surreal and off-the-wall, a sort of humour I appreciate quite a lot.

Thing is, I can already predict about 90% of the whine-post at the "hurr hurr look at me I hate xkcd and I'm cool" blog; "The flow of the comic is all bad and wrong! The way the girl is sitting on panel 2 is all strange and awful! The number "167801" is too long and ruins the joke! It's a joke involving programmers, and since I'm not a programmer the joke sucks! The punchline is a pun! WHERE'S THE ORIGINALITY, MR. MUNROE????"

Kyberely

Postby Kyberely » Wed May 13, 2009 6:21 pm UTC

sje46 wrote:We should live as bonobos and use sex as a greeting hello, and a valediction bye.

I wouldn't recomend this. Saying hello to people on the street by having sex with them tends to get a lot of garbage thrown at a person. :(
Faye Whitaker wrote:His first thought would be "BJORN WANT HOT PEASANT GIRL"and his second thought would be "AUGH PEASANT GIRL ANALLY VIOLATING BJORN WITH BJORN'S OWN BATTLEAXE"

Frankie

Postby Frankie » Wed May 13, 2009 6:23 pm UTC

Monika wrote:
cathrl wrote:"Could not reproduce". It's absolutely standard tech support shorthand for "what the user says happens, doesn't, so I can't fix it."

It sounds like it should be, but I've never seen it. E.g. at my place of work the label is "Not reproducible defect", and on Launchpad (Ubuntu Bugtracker) the options that fit best with this are "incomplete" and "invalid", possibly "won't fix".

bugs.sun.com uses "Closed, Not Reproducible", and JIRA uses "Cannot Reproduce". I still prefer "WFM" (Bugzilla et al) instead.

mutterc

Postby mutterc » Wed May 13, 2009 6:37 pm UTC

Reproducing bugs is important. If you can't reproduce the problem, how can you know for sure if your fix has corrected it?

Personal anecdote time: My daughter was 6 weeks early, in the NICU for 5 weeks 2 days with "Apnea of Prematurity". This is when the brain is not developed enough to remember to breathe all the time, so she stayed on monitors until she went 5 days without forgetting to breathe. There's nothing one can do for this problem except rule out other causes, and wait it out. (They did give her caffeine, of all things, to attempt to stimulate brain development).

The doctors thought we were pretty cool to not be frustrated at the non-determinsticness of "just wait it out". I figured, being in software, I would have just told us to have another baby and see if the same thing happens.

We did have another baby (6 months ago) (for other reasons), he was only 3 weeks early, and did not exhibit this behavior. The original child is now 2 years 8 months old, and the problem has not recurred, so I guess I can consider the issue closed.

MarcyMarc

Postby MarcyMarc » Wed May 13, 2009 8:16 pm UTC

...what...?

*5 min. later*

...........OH! [lmao]

*5 min. later*

[/lmao]
marcYɔɹɐɯ

Sarda

Postby Sarda » Wed May 13, 2009 8:27 pm UTC

aleflamedyud wrote:
sje46 wrote:
aleflamedyud wrote:I dislike the casual attitude towards reproductive sex. Not really funny.

What's wrong with that? Are you some kind of prude or something? What is wrong with a man and woman expressing their love for one another? Do you understand how mating works? Do you understand where babies come from? If it weren't for sex none of us would be here. It isn't a ritual of some sort either. It's not if when you get married the husband ceremoniously places his dick in his wife and a baby while an angel with a trumpet flitters above blowing the traditional ceremonious song of fertility no. People get drunk and screw each other. At parties, at work, during school, at McDonalds, where ever. It is not a thing to be ashamed of! Do not let the conservatives and
J-Hove witnesses convince you otherwise! Sex is a wonderful thing that should be taught early on, in the womb even, as a natural and beautiful thing. We should live as bonobos and use sex as a greeting hello, and a valediction bye. We shall have an orgy before we eat, before we work, before we sleep, and before we have sex. Because only through the God-given glory of orgasm can we truly experience his Infinite Love for us. Fellatio will become our prayers, and cunnilingus will become our confessions. We will as a species become one, under the great religion of Hot Nasty Boning. And yes, we may die out from the STD/Is, from the herpes, AIDS, and gonnorhea. But at least we will go out the way we were meant to. Covered in each other's funk and moaning to God.
Not cool, not funny, not a good criticism.

Other than your religious proposal, did you notice that I said reproductive sex? There's a difference between sex-for-fun and sex-to-produce-a-child.

But of course you wouldn't notice. You're a 4channer: applying the mind to something other than snark doesn't come easily to your race, does it?

HOW in #*$& do you have almost 2000 posts and not know about sje46 OR the "not cool, not funny, not a good X" joke? I've got... 4? and I know about them?

Anyways... awesome comic. I can say that even though I am not a programmer, I immediately understood what was going on.
If P AND NOT P then the lotto numbers will be 4, 19, 23, 194, the fine structure constant, and Birmingham.

fantabel

Postby fantabel » Wed May 13, 2009 8:47 pm UTC

I don't know if it was said before, but the bug number is a prime number.

Nyktos

Postby Nyktos » Wed May 13, 2009 8:48 pm UTC

I read this in second period and I was like "whatever, it's okay". Then about three hours later in fourth period I suddenly got it and I just burst out laughing in the middle of class. I got some very strange looks...

PickleMan

Postby PickleMan » Wed May 13, 2009 9:01 pm UTC

Wow, that must be very embarassing. That happened to me once..

masher

Postby masher » Wed May 13, 2009 10:36 pm UTC

jspenguin wrote: Ulrich Drepper...

Bloody hell! What got up his arse?

ulei

Postby ulei » Wed May 13, 2009 10:51 pm UTC

Better than Abort/Fetal Error, I say!

dean.menezes

Postby dean.menezes » Wed May 13, 2009 10:59 pm UTC

Do you realize that at the current rate of human expansion, the human population would reach 11 BILLION by the year 2050? Most of this growth will occur in LDCs, so this will lead to billions starving, as well as increased chances of epidemics, and extinction of many species.

This comic devalues human life and contributes to this overpopulation crisis.

HorseloverFat

Postby HorseloverFat » Thu May 14, 2009 12:31 am UTC

masher wrote:
jspenguin wrote: Ulrich Drepper...

Bloody hell! What got up his arse?

I heard it's cause he uses something called "linix"

Tawnos

Postby Tawnos » Thu May 14, 2009 2:00 am UTC

sje46 wrote:
aleflamedyud wrote:I dislike the casual attitude towards reproductive sex. Not really funny.

What's wrong with that? Are you some kind of prude or something? What is wrong with a man and woman expressing their love for one another? Do you understand how mating works? Do you understand where babies come from? If it weren't for sex none of us would be here. It isn't a ritual of some sort either. It's not if when you get married the husband ceremoniously places his dick in his wife and a baby while an angel with a trumpet flitters above blowing the traditional ceremonious song of fertility no. People get drunk and screw each other. At parties, at work, during school, at McDonalds, where ever. It is not a thing to be ashamed of! Do not let the conservatives and
J-Hove witnesses convince you otherwise! Sex is a wonderful thing that should be taught early on, in the womb even, as a natural and beautiful thing. We should live as bonobos and use sex as a greeting hello, and a valediction bye. We shall have an orgy before we eat, before we work, before we sleep, and before we have sex. Because only through the God-given glory of orgasm can we truly experience his Infinite Love for us. Fellatio will become our prayers, and cunnilingus will become our confessions. We will as a species become one, under the great religion of Hot Nasty Boning. And yes, we may die out from the STD/Is, from the herpes, AIDS, and gonnorhea. But at least we will go out the way we were meant to. Covered in each other's funk and moaning to God.

How is babby formed?
If determinism is right, does it matter that I believe in free will?

Magilla

Postby Magilla » Thu May 14, 2009 2:30 am UTC

dean.menezes wrote:Do you realize that at the current rate of human expansion, the human population would reach 11 BILLION by the year 2050? Most of this growth will occur in LDCs, so this will lead to billions starving, as well as increased chances of epidemics, and extinction of many species.

Unless it doesn't, in which case it won't. It will be a miracle if the earth is capable of supporting any life in 100 years time anyway. The problem will solve itself.
dean.menezes wrote:This comic devalues human life and contributes to this overpopulation crisis.

No it doesn't. You just take jokes too seriously.
They perceive my perambulations upon my gyroscopically-balanced personal transportation device, and have thus concluded that I am of Caucasian decent, and, while intelligent, I am also somewhat socially inept. - Peculiar Alfred

arbivark

Postby arbivark » Thu May 14, 2009 3:40 am UTC

BTW, the OP forgot to include the title text.

I come to these threads to find out the title text. (firefox user, havent dl'd the needed extension.) and now at page 3, OP still hasn't been fixed.
it's a bug. i'll live with it.
edit: oh! so it's "can't and shouldn't." perhaps you'll be seeing even less of me now. thanks phlip.
Last edited by arbivark on Thu May 14, 2009 9:23 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

phlip
Restorer of Worlds

Postby phlip » Thu May 14, 2009 3:58 am UTC

That extension isn't necessary... Firefox users can read the whole title text sans extension since Firefox 3.0, which came out a while ago.

Code: Select all

enum ಠ_ಠ {°□°╰=1, °Д°╰, ಠ益ಠ╰};
void ┻━┻︵​╰(ಠ_ಠ ⚠) {exit((int)⚠);}
[he/him/his]

dennisw

Postby dennisw » Thu May 14, 2009 6:28 am UTC

dean.menezes wrote:Do you realize that at the current rate of human expansion, the human population would reach 11 BILLION by the year 2050? Most of this growth will occur in LDCs, so this will lead to billions starving, as well as increased chances of epidemics, and extinction of many species.

This comic devalues human life and contributes to this overpopulation crisis.

Art imitates life more often than life imitates art.
Try the Printifier for xkcd. You can now scale the comic between 50 and 150%.

I find these very useful: Common Errors in English Usage (web site) and Eats, Shoots & Leaves (book). You may, too.

e pluribus unum
Unleash unlicensed ungulates!

Monika
Welcoming Aarvark

Postby Monika » Thu May 14, 2009 8:21 am UTC

Sarda wrote:HOW in #*$& do you have almost 2000 posts and not know about sje46 OR the "not cool, not funny, not a good X" joke? I've got... 4? and I know about them?

One doesn't get a million posts on xkcd echochamber by reading the comic threads, you know ;) .

I have only seen one of sje's "not funny, not a good comic" posts, and if he hadn't incidentally pointed out in the same thread that he is trying to start a meme or something like this I may not have realized.
#xkcd-q on irc.foonetic.net - the LGBTIQQA support channel
Please donate to help these people

mattflaschen

Postby mattflaschen » Thu May 14, 2009 8:50 am UTC

The way I see it, it's actually two independent jokes, both of which are worthy of a comic. :)

1. Arrogant programmer closes bug not because program wasn't broken but because they could not create or find a child to test with. You have to read a fair amount of bug reports to find this funny.
2. The pun "reproduce" as "replicate a bug"/reproduce as "make a baby".

And of course, there's the sex reference.

JamesR87

Postby JamesR87 » Thu May 14, 2009 9:52 am UTC

aleflamedyud wrote:
sje46 wrote:

Other than your religious proposal, did you notice that I said reproductive sex? There's a difference between sex-for-fun and sex-to-produce-a-child.

But of course you wouldn't notice. You're a 4channer: applying the mind to something other than snark doesn't come easily to your race, does it?

I don't know where you've been putting it but generally I find they're actually pretty similar.

Well ... Except that fewer face wipes are needed.

Btw first post ;)

Baza210

Postby Baza210 » Thu May 14, 2009 11:51 am UTC

ulei wrote:Better than Abort/Fetal Error, I say!

Oh, oh wow.
Here I'm allowed everything all of the time

Cpt.DaveyJones

Postby Cpt.DaveyJones » Thu May 14, 2009 2:16 pm UTC

This is the best strip I've read so far.
The intense wordplay in "could not reproduce" really made me laugh, and the indifference with which she said "could you do me without a condom? We need a young child for something" was just hillarious.
<3 this strip :D

PS:
Tawnos wrote:How is babby formed?

Shit, I wanted to say that >_>

prillamonster

Postby prillamonster » Thu May 14, 2009 4:20 pm UTC

A bit of seriousness.

As a girl, the phrase "can you do me" really bothered me. "Can we do it", on the other hand, is not at all offensive. There are implications that go with someone asking someone else to "do me".

Otherwise, I found "CNR" to be hilarious!

Best,
XKCD fan

xkiQ

Postby xkiQ » Thu May 14, 2009 6:41 pm UTC

Actually, I didn't find this one very funny. It's like Munroe once read CNR and thought 'Hah! What if 'reproduce' was interpreted another way?' and then working his way backwards came up with the comic. It just feels a little forced and contrived, like making a whole joke out of something that isn't really that funny.

SirMustapha

Postby SirMustapha » Thu May 14, 2009 7:13 pm UTC

I never really considered that the process of creating a joke should be more important than the joke itself. Also, the punchline itself isn't quite as important as the way it's delivered. That's sort of the essence of humour, isn't it?

xkiQ

Postby xkiQ » Thu May 14, 2009 9:29 pm UTC

SirMustapha wrote:I never really considered that the process of creating a joke should be more important than the joke itself. Also, the punchline itself isn't quite as important as the way it's delivered. That's sort of the essence of humour, isn't it?

No.

dangerous

Postby dangerous » Thu May 14, 2009 9:59 pm UTC

SirMustapha wrote:Thing is, I can already predict about 90% of the whine-post at the "hurr hurr look at me I hate xkcd and I'm cool" blog; "The flow of the comic is all bad and wrong! The way the girl is sitting on panel 2 is all strange and awful! The number "167801" is too long and ruins the joke! It's a joke involving programmers, and since I'm not a programmer the joke sucks! The punchline is a pun! WHERE'S THE ORIGINALITY, MR. MUNROE????"

Nothing like a good sex joke to bring out the trolls:

sje46 wrote:

Also:

mattflaschen wrote:1. Arrogant programmer closes bug not because program wasn't broken but because they could not create or find a child to test with. You have to read a fair amount of bug reports to find this funny.
2. The pun "reproduce" as "replicate a bug"/reproduce as "make a baby".

Definately agree'd on the first point, (from a former developer in test)

Steve the Pocket

Postby Steve the Pocket » Thu May 14, 2009 10:47 pm UTC

For the record, I figured out that sje46 was joking about halfway through reading the post. I didn't need to know that was the same poster responsible for the "not cool, not funny" joke or even make it to that point in the post. I know the drill, "sarcasm doesn't translate well to text" and all, but it's not true: we as a species have been doing it in text for centuries and have elevated it to a fine enough art that at least some people can be trusted to do it well. If you really got through that whole post and thought it was meant to be serious, I think maybe you're just unable to parse English, period.
cephalopod9 wrote:Only on Xkcd can you start a topic involving Hitler and people spend the better part of half a dozen pages arguing about the quality of Operating Systems.

Baige.

paora42

Postby paora42 » Thu May 14, 2009 11:09 pm UTC

what does "CNR" mean?

I'm confused

booyabazooka

Postby booyabazooka » Fri May 15, 2009 12:13 am UTC

Panel 2 is fantastic. It reminds me of a competition from high school we referred to as "emotionless sex" - two people stand close together making sexual noises and comments, and whoever smiles/laughs first loses. There's just something funny about the notion of people having sex without the slightest emotion on their faces. Just imagine "pair programming" (pun!) in which the programmers, maybe your boring coworkers, are fucking like it's their job...

Ocker3

Postby Ocker3 » Fri May 15, 2009 12:14 am UTC

paora42 wrote:what does "CNR" mean?

I'm confused

one new meme only per thread please
"why change something that's broken in a way that you know it's broken" - Brett McGrath

Twilightfoxx

Postby Twilightfoxx » Fri May 15, 2009 12:15 am UTC

paora42 wrote:what does "CNR" mean?

I'm confused

Just a wild guess here but possibly "could not reproduce". But for all I know it could be something like "comic's not real".

Iridos

Postby Iridos » Fri May 15, 2009 1:13 am UTC

Don't know if that "devalues human life" or not... but that horrible pun had me cringe painfully for a while.

Anyway, pity there doesn't even seem to be an interesting bug around as an easteregg to the comic and to compensate for the pain...
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=167801
http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=167801
https://bugs.launchpad.net/inkscape/+bug/167801
http://mail.kde.org/pipermail/kdepim-bu ... 09238.html

Spoom

Postby Spoom » Fri May 15, 2009 3:14 am UTC

Hilarious. Puns rarely work this well.

Dear haters: Lighten up.
All other things being equal, the simplest solution is ale.

dabigkid

Postby dabigkid » Fri May 15, 2009 5:21 am UTC

This joke made me laugh for a good fifteen seconds.

And then I groaned.

It's such a corny pun.

Dammit, Randall.
wut

Ezzthetic

Postby Ezzthetic » Fri May 15, 2009 2:49 pm UTC

That's a joke we used to make in support quite a lot.

The other one was "Programming is like sex - one little mistake, and you support it for years."

Monika
Welcoming Aarvark

Postby Monika » Fri May 15, 2009 5:16 pm UTC

Ezzthetic wrote:The other one was "Programming is like sex - one little mistake, and you support it for years."

Oooooh yes.

(I'm a programmer, in maintenance. Not a mother, yet.)
#xkcd-q on irc.foonetic.net - the LGBTIQQA support channel
Please donate to help these people

dennisw

Postby dennisw » Fri May 15, 2009 11:14 pm UTC

JamesR87 wrote:I don't know where you've been putting it but generally I find they're actually pretty similar.

Well ... Except that fewer face wipes are needed.

Btw first post ;)

Nice double entendre!
Try the Printifier for xkcd. You can now scale the comic between 50 and 150%.

I find these very useful: Common Errors in English Usage (web site) and Eats, Shoots & Leaves (book). You may, too.

e pluribus unum
Unleash unlicensed ungulates!

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”