0588: "Pep Rally"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

GodShapedBullet
Posts: 686
Joined: Mon Nov 26, 2007 7:59 pm UTC
Location: Delaware
Contact:

Re: "Pep Rally" Discussion

Postby GodShapedBullet » Mon May 25, 2009 3:19 pm UTC

N>L wrote:Was I the only person who had to read this comic four or five times before realizing that he was talking about a porch and not a Magic: The Gathering deck in the second panel?


I like your misinterpretation better.

sylltex
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon May 25, 2009 3:12 pm UTC

Re: "Pep Rally" Discussion

Postby sylltex » Mon May 25, 2009 3:22 pm UTC

I created an account to just declare how much RAGE these events instilled in me. At least in normal democracy, when you are complicit with the 5% who are actually involved day to day, you can remain blissfully ignorant of their extravagant wastes. In my personal case they didn't allow us to 'sit in the cafeteria and stare blankly at the wall.' Oh and they made us have it in a field and a classmate paraplegic had to ride his wheelchair out into the middle of the football field. Yes, he did ask to be excused from the event. So naturally in his fit of rage, when they told you to please stand for the pledge of allegiance, he leapt from his chair and fell on the ground. An administrator who denied his request to be excused, ran over and asked which one of us pushed him out of the chair, all in a bout of anger. It was one of the most memorable memories times in high school that doesn't make me spit curses and fury every ten seconds.

Anyway, they didn't appreciate our hitler salutes while we chanted for the school either. What gives? The sad part is the only kids that bailed were the 100 or so kids that managed to escape and go smoke pot in the woods. PROTIP: Smoking pot indoors is not something 100 kids would go try, way to encourage deviant behavior, institution of learning! Anyway, my school's population was highly cynical (even the most zealous were barely just), and we all got rather disillusioned earlier than it seems to happen in other schools. It's a rather bleak illusion they put up for you, that immediately vanishes upon graduation. This whole thing reminds me of that other Perl comic that Randall did.

Anyway, thanks for reminding me of the rage of a wasted youth.

wannabegeek
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:55 pm UTC

Re: "Pep Rally" Discussion

Postby wannabegeek » Mon May 25, 2009 3:26 pm UTC

I live in Canada and my HS doesn't really have these over-the-top pep-rallies. Our school sucks at pretty much every sport imaginable (football, lacrosse, hockey, baseball/softball, volleyball....etc), basically, you name it, we have it, and we stink royally at it, so when there are "assemblies" to talk about sports achievements and the organizers are trying to get our spirits up, it's usually only the people on the teams that get pumped up the most, the rest of us just face-palm. What's EALLY, REALLY, REALLLY painful that nobody has mentioned however, are the "motivational speakers" that come by once in a blue moon. They clearly use the same old bag of tricks for every school they go to, most of the things they talk about aren't even relevant to us (last time someone spent 30 minutes on the harm of drug abuse.... when we're the best behaved school in the whole area and I'll be damned if out of 1400 students there is even 1 active drug user), and using exaggerated stories to instill false hope. I'm not if it's sadder if they believe in what they're telling us, or if it'd be worse that they don't believe in what they're telling us. In any case, I've had to sit through 4 of those in 4 years now, I'm graduating this year *knocks on wood*, and that's not something I'll miss.

User avatar
Kadzar
Posts: 110
Joined: Wed Nov 05, 2008 2:40 am UTC

Re: "Pep Rally" Discussion

Postby Kadzar » Mon May 25, 2009 3:36 pm UTC

In high school, for our homecoming games, we would make banners that we would carry in the homecoming parade. I got involved in that in junior/senior year. It was just me and the cool artsy chicks working after school designing and painting our class banner. Then, in senior year, I actually carried the banner in the parade, along with the girl I fancied then (still do), who I had been in the school play with the year before. High school was an emotional time for me.

Anyway, we had to incorporate some sort of school spirit in the banner. Considering the group I was with (the cool artsy chicks), this was probably the most difficult part of the process for us.
Geogriffith wrote:
Dad, where is Grandpa right now?

"His source code was forked, backups moved off-site, and merged with a compatible project with similar goals. As was mine, as will yours be, someday."
Some Sort of Shuriken-Based Propulsion

User avatar
PatrickRsGhost
Posts: 2278
Joined: Fri May 04, 2007 5:43 pm UTC
Location: ZZ9PluralZAlpha
Contact:

Re: "Pep Rally" Discussion

Postby PatrickRsGhost » Mon May 25, 2009 3:49 pm UTC

This was one of the main reasons I'm glad I'm not in high school anymore. I hated the pep rallies as well. There were some good memories from them, though.

I remember one year before our Homecoming game, all the Junior Varsity cheerleaders had taken an oath of silence as part of their initiation, but with a twist. The only things they were allowed to say were "Go Dogs", "Go Rockdale", "Go Bulldogs", or "Beat Salem". Each cheerleader wore a black-and-red (the school colors) ribbon with their name printed on it. If another student, teacher, or faculty member caught the cheerleader saying anything other than the above-approved phrases, they were to take the ribbon, and at the pep rally, would slam a "cream pie" (really just a paper plate covered with whipped cream) into said JV cheerleader's face. A fight broke out between one of the cheerleaders and a female student who had caught her breaking the oath.

Another pep rally involved us trying to yell our fucking heads off for the basketball team, and the winning class would all receive red plastic basketballs. I was a Freshman at the time, and we thought we had yelled louder than the Seniors, but they ended up winning. We always felt our class was getting the shaft every year.

What really irritated me about the pep rallies was not just the mandatory attendance (there were days when I'd rather had just stayed in class, finishing up some homework, or else sit in the library...er, Media Center), but that we had to sing the fucking school anthem after every single pep rally.

The pep rallies were a bit naughty, though. The cheerleaders had one cheer that had a good bit of double entendre/innuendo in it. How the principal allowed them to perform that cheer, but censored a song performed by Class Act, was beyond me.

The cheer was "The Banana Cheer." For those of you who have never heard it, it goes:

Go, Bananas!
Go, go Bananas!
Go, Bananas!
Go, go Bananas!
Go, Bananas!
Go, go Bananas!
Swing to the left
Swing to the right
Peel that banana and
(drum strike) Take a bite!

If you've ever heard the song "Hollaback Girl" by Gwen Stefani, it has a variation of the cheer. To prove we knew of its innuendo, some of the guys would do a pelvic thrust.
PRG

An important message for you:

010000100110010100100000011100110
111010101110010011001010010000001
110100011011110010000001100101011
000010111010000100000011110010110
111101110101011100100010000001100
010011000010110001101101111011011
1000101110

Torgen
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon May 25, 2009 4:06 pm UTC

Re: "Pep Rally" Discussion

Postby Torgen » Mon May 25, 2009 4:08 pm UTC

My first High School had pep rallies. Attendance was mandatory. They were scheduled for the first two periods out of five. I had second period lunch. (Don't even get me started on how dumb that was.) This taught me basically everything I needed to know about school spirit.

nealh
Posts: 31
Joined: Fri Aug 15, 2008 4:20 pm UTC

Re: "Pep Rally" Discussion

Postby nealh » Mon May 25, 2009 4:15 pm UTC

onosson wrote:Wow... I'm from Canada, and I always assumed these things were just myths, or something from the 1950s. Bizarre...


They are so very real. Also, the TV show King of the Hill is far more realistic than, I think, many people realize.

I very much liked this comic.

User avatar
Sprocket
Seymour
Posts: 5951
Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2007 6:04 pm UTC
Location: impaled on Beck's boney hips.
Contact:

Re: "Pep Rally" Discussion

Postby Sprocket » Mon May 25, 2009 4:18 pm UTC

What really creeped me out was when I was in college and I'd meet people and they'd say "I'm from Webster" and I'd say "I'm from Fairport." And they'd get all sort of agressively "oh...Fairport..rivalry" But then if I told them I didn't go to Fairport High school, (which I didn't, I went to a crap ass lil private catholic high school in Rochester) then they'd be ok with me.

High School Sports! Breeding hate that lasts a life time since...whenever high school sports started!

Keep in mind usually only people who actually played sports in high school had these feelings. It takes a special kind of high school spectator to maintain that level of baseless distaste.
"She’s a free spirit, a wind-rider, she’s at one with nature, and walks with the kodama eidolons”
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Zohar wrote: Down with the hipster binary! It's a SPECTRUM!

User avatar
cyborg_572
Posts: 11
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2008 11:12 pm UTC
Location: Ontario, Canada
Contact:

Re: "Pep Rally" Discussion

Postby cyborg_572 » Mon May 25, 2009 4:25 pm UTC

I don't remember much of what was said at any of my high-school pep-rallies. As far as I know they were all mandatory. It was a Canadian school too, but close to the border so maybe that's why we had them. Anyway, all I remember was the noise and the bleachers. The noise was so loud that I started bringing earplugs, and even then I couldn't hear so great after leaving, and with the speakers that loud, everything being said was just garbled. The bleachers were the worst though. They were the kind that rolled out from against the gym wall, and they were to small. The distance from the back of one bench to the back of the bench in front of it was shorter than the distance from a persons back to their shins, so you were always holding you knees up so as not to keep kneeing the person in front of you in the head, while leaning forward so as not to get kneed in the head yourself. Now hold that position for roughly 2 hours.

Crystelle
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon May 25, 2009 4:33 pm UTC

Re: "Pep Rally" Discussion

Postby Crystelle » Mon May 25, 2009 4:37 pm UTC

I had pep rallies in high school, mandatory and two times a year. They weren't so bad, because I just sat with my friends and talked, ignoring whatever else was going on, and after being locked in the gym for an hour, they let us out and had a moon bounce and a bunch of snack food and stuff, so after the actual rally, they were pretty fun.

Now, you guys are lucky, because I had a pep rally in college. My freshman orientation, our Orientation Assistants (upperclassmen who showed us the ropes during orientation) painted our faces and drug us out to the gym, where we listened to athletes (mostly football players) both past and present give speeches about why we should join a sports team and why we should come to the games. Now, my college is veryveryvery athletically inclined, so it kind of made sense, but I could not believe I had to attend a pep rally in college.

User avatar
Dimetrodon
Posts: 110
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 7:25 am UTC

Re: "Pep Rally" Discussion

Postby Dimetrodon » Mon May 25, 2009 4:56 pm UTC

As a high schooler forced to sit in at 2 or 3 school pep assemblies, most of which involve sports (which I don't play), I approve this comic.
Spoiler:
Image

Fear my mammalian skull, my efficient heat-regulating sail, and my two rows of teeth.

Maybe
Posts: 34
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2007 2:40 am UTC

Re: "Pep Rally" Discussion

Postby Maybe » Mon May 25, 2009 5:17 pm UTC

nealh wrote:They are so very real. Also, the TV show King of the Hill is far more realistic than, I think, many people realize.


That's why it's creepy. It's... barely a comedy. It's weird.
Boba Fett is my bro...ba... Fett..?

User avatar
Dobblesworth
Dobblesworth, here's the title you requested over three years ago. -Banana
Posts: 1429
Joined: Wed May 30, 2007 12:06 pm UTC
Contact:

Re: "Pep Rally" Discussion

Postby Dobblesworth » Mon May 25, 2009 5:22 pm UTC

Being British, I never had to endure any of these. The private secondary I attended had the traditional rivalry with "the other boys'-only private secondary across town" and "the other girls'-only private secondary across town", depending which side of the semi-mixed nature of the school you were on. The Sports Morons (as us in the Nerd Corner called them), were adamant that we were superior and would cream them in rugby, cricket or field hockey, but we rarely (10% max across all year-groups) did. And I do see the spirit of this strip. A strong proportion of my former classmates from primary school moved onto "the other boys'-only private secondary across town", yet I was pressured into adopting the irrational hatred of them on the basis of what colour blazer they wore. I even got pushed into playing a Reserves-Reserves game of rugby against them; that we didn't even have enough for a full 15 is a sign we were the dregs of the yeargroup who played rugby simply as part of the mandatory 2hrs of Wednesday afternoon in the biting Northumberland winter. We got utterly thrashed.

User avatar
brume
Posts: 71
Joined: Mon May 04, 2009 11:37 pm UTC
Location: Austin, Texas
Contact:

Re: "Pep Rally" Discussion

Postby brume » Mon May 25, 2009 5:59 pm UTC

Yeah, as someone mentioned earlier - Go tribe!

A related weird thing about this are the mascots. It's always the fighting this and the fighting that. A school near here has a snarling deer as its mascot, with pointed teeth. WTF?

User avatar
Blokey
Posts: 531
Joined: Fri Jul 11, 2008 3:17 am UTC
Location: Lahndahn, Merrie Olde Englande

Re: "Pep Rally" Discussion

Postby Blokey » Mon May 25, 2009 6:02 pm UTC

If I ran a school, our mascot would be the Conscientiously Objecting Cuddly Koalas. This is probably why no one will let me run a school.

edited for acronym fun.
Last edited by Blokey on Mon May 25, 2009 6:02 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Image
Only the tone of your own inner monologue separates a reading of superciliousness or philanthropy - Felstaff

Sunidesus
Posts: 49
Joined: Sat Oct 18, 2008 9:09 pm UTC
Location: Rhode Island
Contact:

Re: "Pep Rally" Discussion

Postby Sunidesus » Mon May 25, 2009 6:02 pm UTC

I would just like to add my name to the list of pep rally haters.

My freshman year we were allowed to go to the library instead of the pep rally. For some reason they removed that option after that year and we were required to get packed into the gym and listen to screaming for an hour.

I'm very good at tuning out what's going on around me and would actually pull out my book and just read through the whole thing. Actually got yelled at a couple times by fellow students who thought I should be "showing spirit" or some crap.

If you're into sports I can understand getting all excited at one of those things, but for the rest of us? Just a complete waste of time.

brume wrote:Yeah, as someone mentioned earlier - Go tribe!

A related weird thing about this are the mascots. It's always the fighting this and the fighting that. A school near here has a snarling deer as its mascot, with pointed teeth. WTF?


That was actually one cool thing about my high school. We were the "Old Abes" which was an eagle. He was based on an actual eagle that was the mascot for a Civil War regiment from our area. I always thought it was nifty that our mascot was a real thing and not just some random animal.
Last edited by Sunidesus on Mon May 25, 2009 6:04 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Disa
Posts: 13
Joined: Wed Jun 06, 2007 5:01 am UTC

Re: "Pep Rally" Discussion

Postby Disa » Mon May 25, 2009 6:03 pm UTC

I was never big for the pep rallies in high school myself. I tended to softly boo while everyone was cheering, although that was more because I had moved and was unhappy with anything related to my new location.

Since this was the only high school in the town, it was more town vs town than within the city/zip codes. The pep rallies were not only about the sports teams but to also show off accomplishments of the 'higher ranking' classes/teams/groups/etc. As a member of the stringed orchestra, it was disappointing that even though we had some really talented people who were winning awards and getting far in competitions, they'd never mention us at the rallies. Only sports, band/marching band, scholar bowl, and science related achievements were ever featured between cheerleaders and teachers doing mock recreations of SNL skits that were 5+ years old at the time to feel like they were in touch with the audience.

The bit that was probably the most annoying to me was that at some of the rallies we were then let out for a half day after it finished, but they never bothered to explain that fully. The first rally I went to, everyone was leaving even though it was still school time and I was baffled how anyone knew since nothing was said about early dismissal. Ended up sitting around the empty school (well outside since they didn't allow students to stay inside) for the rest of the day with nothing to do since the buses were still on normal schedule.

User avatar
miggit999
Posts: 18
Joined: Wed May 06, 2009 5:57 am UTC

Re: "Pep Rally" Discussion

Postby miggit999 » Mon May 25, 2009 6:15 pm UTC

My high school has pep rallies each quarter, but we never go on a hate-fest about our rival school...all we do is pit the classes against each other and pretend the seniors win each time (of course, by now senioritis sets in and juniors get to win the Nothing!)

Of course, the class of 2012 doesn't show any spirit, because we're too cool for that...or because frosh never have any idea what they should do. :roll:
ImageImageImage

User avatar
Insanity's Partner
Posts: 53
Joined: Wed Jul 23, 2008 7:17 am UTC
Location: Opposite-Florida

Re: "Pep Rally" Discussion

Postby Insanity's Partner » Mon May 25, 2009 6:23 pm UTC

This is sort of true. Although at my high school, no one really ever says flat out that we're the best, it's sort of the unspoken undertone. We don't really have any rival schools because....they just can't rival us. We're usually the number one in sports, undefeated, and we're a technology magnet high school with hundreds of computers everywhere for everyone to access...there's a rare day that goes by that I don't get on a computer at least a few times a day. A lot of our non-sports related teams go really far, too, particularly our technology-related teams. We have the most amazing programming teachers, and XKCD is kind of a giant inside joke to the kids that are taking a lot of tech classes, here.

And recently one of our teachers won a $10,000 prize for being the best teacher in the nation, or something like that. And this has happened twice, with two different teachers here. We have a lot of amazing teachers here.

And school spirit is sort of a big thing, here. I've never been to a high school where everyone is honestly happy about where they are. Or, really, no one hates it here. You might not love it like some people, but you won't hate it looking back on it. There's also virtually no bullying here, which is nice. My last high school I had to fear getting my ass kicked every day because I was such a loser. But here I'm not really considered a loser, because there are a lot of other kids with similar interests, which is nice. But the lack of bullying is likely caused by the lack of conflict from a severe lack of diversity, which really sucks, especially since where I came from, being white was almost a minority. But at least no one tries to bring guns to school periodically.

You should see our pep rallies here...they're insane. We have this sort of school motto/chant thing, and then we have a contest to see which class can scream the loudest, and everyone gets really into it, particularly the seniors. I can honestly say I'm glad I'm taking ASL because I have to scream "WHAT DID YOU SAY?" for a few hours after every rally.
Dead Like Me: (n.) [ded lajk mi:] Firefly for people who excel at not giving a shit.

Kain
Posts: 1140
Joined: Wed Aug 27, 2008 4:29 am UTC
Location: At the center of the observable universe.

Re: "Pep Rally" Discussion

Postby Kain » Mon May 25, 2009 6:30 pm UTC

Heh... this comic brings up some good memories...
I attended a magnet school, so there was a bit more school spirit than usual (as we (or at least our parents) chose to be there). However, the sports teams were abyssmal, whith the exception of the lacross team, which was just bad...

We used to have at least three pep rallies a year: one at the beginning, on during FCAT season, and one at the end. The best part about it was that they were supposed to be mandatory, but you were required to wear school colors to attend.

I got out of going to any during my junior and senior years just by wearing black... Best part was that since the school had too many students to fit in the gym, the rallies were always done twice, once for one half of the student body, and once for the other half. While my classmates were having their eardrums assaulted, I was hanging out with friends in my english teacher's class, playing scrabble/pictionary/what have you...
Look, you know it's serious when a bunch of people in full armor and gear come charging in to fight a pond of chickens - Steax

firinne
Posts: 86
Joined: Fri Jul 18, 2008 6:40 pm UTC

Re: "Pep Rally" Discussion

Postby firinne » Mon May 25, 2009 6:33 pm UTC

I go to a magnet school as well. The overwhelming majority of us chose to be there despite knowing that we were in for a spirit-crushing four years of work. (The rest were parentally pressured, obviously.) So school spirit, yeah, but there's still a large minority who doesn't like the pep rallies. Better ways exist of demonstrating solidarity and pride than gathering and screaming deafeningly.

booyabazooka
Posts: 12
Joined: Mon Mar 09, 2009 4:26 am UTC

Re: "Pep Rally" Discussion

Postby booyabazooka » Mon May 25, 2009 6:34 pm UTC

Nothing about high school made sense.

http://stuffwhitepeoplelike.com/2008/03 ... gh-school/

User avatar
InfamousAnarchist
Posts: 115
Joined: Wed Apr 01, 2009 8:25 pm UTC
Location: Yes and no.
Contact:

Re: "Pep Rally" Discussion

Postby InfamousAnarchist » Mon May 25, 2009 6:36 pm UTC

suso wrote:One of my most memorable moments from high school was at a pep rally.

We were seniors, and the cheerleaders where chanting "Let's hear the seniors yell WHS!"

And right in unison one of the heavy metal rocker types yelled out "Shove it up your ass!"


Wherever did you go? I'm at a high school who is known as WHS. In New Hampshire.
sever every leg
amanda palmer please come home please

User avatar
brume
Posts: 71
Joined: Mon May 04, 2009 11:37 pm UTC
Location: Austin, Texas
Contact:

Re: "Pep Rally" Discussion

Postby brume » Mon May 25, 2009 6:48 pm UTC

Blokey wrote:If I ran a school, our mascot would be the Conscientiously Objecting Cuddly Koalas. This is probably why no one will let me run a school.

edited for acronym fun.


Go cocks!

User avatar
aleflamedyud
wants your cookies
Posts: 3307
Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2007 7:50 pm UTC
Location: The Central Bureaucracy

Re: "Pep Rally" Discussion

Postby aleflamedyud » Mon May 25, 2009 6:49 pm UTC

Interactive Civilian wrote:Questions about if being a country makes your country better than others...

Now, to respond to your original question, it resembles nationalism and so-called "patriotism" because it encourages blindly following your leaders and believing that your group is better than the other group without question. You see it on the high school scale with pep-rallies, you see it at the national level. Ask someone from the USA if it is the best country in the world, and they will more than likely say yes. Ask them to explain exactly why and give examples, and you'll find many have never given it any thought. It's the same kind of attitude.

In the comic, the difference between school districts and having pride in one over the other is Zip Codes. In the bigger world, it is imaginary lines drawn on a map. The mentality is the same. Only the scale is different.

On a slight digression, this is why I don't like the Olympics. It should be about the athletes, not which country they come from. IMHO.

None of the things I mentioned make you a better country than all the others except the democracy. But they sure as hell make you a country. And if you think that patriotism and nationalism are about blindly following leaders and believing prejudices against some "other group", I feel very sorry for you and your country. You've lost one of the pleasures of life, and they've lost a good citizen.

National boundaries matter, they create concrete differences that anyone can notice. Dollars, for example, are worth two different values on either side of the border between the USA and Canada. School district boundaries create very little, and scarcely even exist in places. Two very different things that you conflate. Why, again? Because you're so cynical you can't see the honest pride some people take in building something as a group, be it a football team or a national highway system?

Are they promiscuous because they are cheerleaders?

Are people tall because they're on the basketball team? Smart because they got into college? Bene Gesserit sift people to find the humans. Cheerleading squads sift girls to find the whores. Or at least, the most attractive whores. That's the point.

Hey, did you notice the other post where you got warned for being a prick? Yeah you're not stopping. This is your second warning, you should be aware you're heading for a ban train. User warned
- fjafjan


And I reserve my right to get judgmental about people who take so little responsibility for their sex life that they spread and receive STDs from consensual sexual encounters. Responsibility makes a difference. Large numbers of random sexual encounters with no emotional stability or physical precautions makes for bad things. Just because most XKCDers here were smart enough to avoid that path doesn't mean it doesn't exist, that real people haven't gone down it, or that those people don't deserve derision for acting retarded.

Nothing about high school made sense.

http://stuffwhitepeoplelike.com/2008/03 ... gh-school/

Does the blog author think that non-white people somehow have it easier in high school? I just remember it sucking no matter your genetic composition.

EDIT: Going to clean up that gigantic quote-block, gimme a minute.
"With kindness comes naïveté. Courage becomes foolhardiness. And dedication has no reward. If you can't accept any of that, you are not fit to be a graduate student."

Mr. 14
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon May 25, 2009 7:05 pm UTC

Re: "Pep Rally" Discussion

Postby Mr. 14 » Mon May 25, 2009 7:23 pm UTC

I think a lot of you are overlooking the fact that the school can't let you just "go". If you're under 18, then your high school is responsible for you, and if you wander off of school property and get hit by a car during school hours, then the school can be held responsible for this. If you had parental consent or you were 18, then you could do whatever the hell you wanted. However, the situation may be different for others. I'm only speaking of my experiences from high school.

And one other thing: these rallies may be stupid, but leave sports out of this! Sports are teh awesum! :)

User avatar
gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett
Posts: 26836
Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2007 6:02 pm UTC
Location: Here and There
Contact:

Re: "Pep Rally" Discussion

Postby gmalivuk » Mon May 25, 2009 7:31 pm UTC

aleflamedyud wrote:Cheerleading squads sift girls to find the whores. Or at least, the most attractive whores. That's the point.

Did you miss the part where you already got a warning and part of a post stabbed out of existence in this very thread for that kind of shit?
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

User avatar
EnderSword
Posts: 1060
Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2009 8:11 pm UTC

Re: "Pep Rally" Discussion

Postby EnderSword » Mon May 25, 2009 7:44 pm UTC

There's also the fact that a lot of people who are a captive audience end up enjoying something they wouldn't have thought of before.

Given a choice, many high school students wouldn't really attend anything. Could put a live sex act in the gym and some would say it was lame and go skateboard in the parking lot.

Pep rallies probably do increase attendance at games, as well as increase participation on teams, particularily teams that don't usually attract as much attention.
Building a rivalry in the context of a sport seems all in good fun, unless someone goes overboard with it. You could argue that by intentionally disliking another school for the purposes of a sport you're actually increasing the enjoyment for both sides.

I think its good that some things are shared as a community, be it a country, school, city or whatever. Really does tend to bring people together more through shared experience than it does pit you against your contrived enemy.

A lot of people would miss al ot of good things if they had the option to apathetically skip everything. So in school you're going to go to pep rallies, hear bad music, listen to motivational speakers, listen to college presentations, learn about drug awareness, sometimes watch a bad play and be exposed to your student council and sports teams.

If you want to tune it out, fine, but I don't think they're wrong for presenting it and encouraging participation in things. Most schools have some club or team or something that would interest most people on some level, no matter how cynical they were.

Being angry at cheerleaders is bad too, they're really only whores in porn.
WWSD?*
*what would Sheldon do?

firinne
Posts: 86
Joined: Fri Jul 18, 2008 6:40 pm UTC

Re: "Pep Rally" Discussion

Postby firinne » Mon May 25, 2009 7:58 pm UTC

Er, yeah, I'm confused about the cheerleader-hate here. I know that stereotypes usually have some base in reality, no matter how tenuously, but honestly! Our cheerleaders tend to be extremely nice people with killer schedules, probably because they refuse to ease up on the cheerleading, the AP courseload, or the /insert traditional sport of choice here/.

User avatar
gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett
Posts: 26836
Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2007 6:02 pm UTC
Location: Here and There
Contact:

Re: "Pep Rally" Discussion

Postby gmalivuk » Mon May 25, 2009 8:04 pm UTC

Well if cheerleaders like to sleep around, which they obviously do according to other posts here, but they don't sleep with *you*, isn't that reason enough to hate them?
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

User avatar
athelas
A Sophisticated Plagiarism Engine
Posts: 584
Joined: Sat Oct 21, 2006 2:37 am UTC

Re: "Pep Rally" Discussion

Postby athelas » Mon May 25, 2009 8:05 pm UTC

Heh...it seems that many in this thread eschewed a fairly mainstream and bland in-group, out-group social signalling phenomenon, in order to loudly exhibit a signal (I hated the mainstream high school experience) that marks them as part of another in-group (former/current nerds.)

Ev-psych. It (sometimes) works, bitches. (Other times it's just-so stories.)

firinne
Posts: 86
Joined: Fri Jul 18, 2008 6:40 pm UTC

Re: "Pep Rally" Discussion

Postby firinne » Mon May 25, 2009 8:07 pm UTC

gmalivuk wrote:Well if cheerleaders like to sleep around, which they obviously do according to other posts here, but they don't sleep with *you*, isn't that reason enough to hate them?


As a straight woman, I'm afraid I can't comment. We did have one male cheerleader when I was in ninth grade?

plutonian
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon May 04, 2009 2:23 am UTC

Re: "Pep Rally" Discussion

Postby plutonian » Mon May 25, 2009 8:27 pm UTC

I always wondered why the sports kids (who made up more than half the school) got to have three assemblies per year to advertise their games and complain quasi-humorously about poor attendance (mainly due to the fact that everyone did some sort of sport or activity after school and nobody had time to regularly attend JV Girl's Softball) to said games. Wheras drama kids, who made up roughly 2% of the school, had no such opportunity to advertise our plays, which didn't happen every single fucking day and had more entertaining content than a bunch of kids playing with a ball, to a captive audience.

also

Well if cheerleaders like to sleep around, which they obviously do according to other posts here, but they don't sleep with *you*, isn't that reason enough to hate them?


Not if you fail at personal hygeine, conversation skills, sports, or all three. Just because she sleeps around doesn't mean she wants to sleep anywhere around you.

ljb
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon May 25, 2009 8:27 pm UTC

Re: "Pep Rally" Discussion

Postby ljb » Mon May 25, 2009 8:34 pm UTC

This comic reminds me of Stargirl (children's novel: ukulele-wielding guerilla artist Stargirl Caraway joins Mica High, becomes so popular that she joins the cheerleading squad, but cheers for both teams at every game, which leads to her becoming so unpopular the other kids pretend she doesn't exist) because if it happened, that book wouldn't have a plot.

GodShapedBullet
Posts: 686
Joined: Mon Nov 26, 2007 7:59 pm UTC
Location: Delaware
Contact:

Re: "Pep Rally" Discussion

Postby GodShapedBullet » Mon May 25, 2009 8:39 pm UTC

gmalivuk wrote:Well if cheerleaders like to sleep around, which they obviously do according to other posts here, but they don't sleep with *you*, isn't that reason enough to hate them?


There are a lot of people I don't want to hate. I can't possibly sleep with all of them!

heroofhyla
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu Apr 24, 2008 4:18 am UTC

Re: "Pep Rally" Discussion

Postby heroofhyla » Mon May 25, 2009 8:43 pm UTC

I stopped going to pep rallies at my school after the first semester of 10th grade, when I learned I could just go hang out in the cafeteria instead. The only thing that was decent the pep rallies was the hip hop dancing, and I suspect that was only because I knew the kids who were doing it, and not because it was actually entertaining. Playing hearts in the cafeteria was much more fun.

DesSidDes
Posts: 18
Joined: Mon Aug 04, 2008 6:50 am UTC

Re: "Pep Rally" Discussion

Postby DesSidDes » Mon May 25, 2009 8:48 pm UTC

In High school, I actually liked days we had pep rallies/assemblies, since they were always right before our lunch period. We had an open campus, so right as we were walking over to the gym/field, we would "put our books in our cars" and leave for an early lunch off campus.

User avatar
EnderSword
Posts: 1060
Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2009 8:11 pm UTC

Re: "Pep Rally" Discussion

Postby EnderSword » Mon May 25, 2009 8:49 pm UTC

gmalivuk wrote:Well if cheerleaders like to sleep around, which they obviously do according to other posts here, but they don't sleep with *you*, isn't that reason enough to hate them?


But if they did sleep with you, its good reason to defend them and future generation of them.

And if your drama kids or whatever didn't get to advertise their events, I'd have complained. At my school they certainly got more than enough time to do that, same with many other clubs or organizations.
WWSD?*
*what would Sheldon do?

Blaze Krakaros
Posts: 20
Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2009 5:21 am UTC

Re: "Pep Rally" Discussion

Postby Blaze Krakaros » Mon May 25, 2009 9:03 pm UTC

We had one of these every Friday. Ours were awesome, because our high school didn't really have any sheeple up until the Class of 2011. Pretty much every call for a cheer would be answered with booing and Fuck You! We had ours in the stands of our gym, and we would always toss beach balls and stuff around and the Teachers would get all pissed off. The star of our wrestling team would yell sarcastic or random comments and questions in response to everything from the front row. No one really hated our administration though, because they were all awesome until our principal retired and we got a douchebag one our senior year.

The week we played our rivals Graham though, everyone got into it, because our school is small enough that most people were involved in some activity, and Graham students, at least the ones in competitive events, have a tendency to be douchebags. IE. my main activity was CX debate, and they scouted so bad that everyone (as in every other school) knew they did it. Two judges from other schools we had at a tournament had a conversation about how much Graham sucked.

And on the cheerleaders are sluts thing, at my school, just when I was there, we had 6 cheerleaders get pregnant, 4 more that everyone knew for a fact slept around, 1 that fellatiated a 40+ man for $100 dollars, and only 3 that people didn't think were sluts.

And I also interpreted the deck as Magic and not a porch.

Unbalanced
Posts: 17
Joined: Mon Sep 01, 2008 1:34 am UTC

Re: "Pep Rally" Discussion

Postby Unbalanced » Mon May 25, 2009 9:27 pm UTC

Blaze Krakaros wrote:Class of 2011.

...Are you from the future?


Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 96 guests