Nintendo's E3: Mario, Metroid, Golden Sun...

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Game_boy

Nintendo's E3: Mario, Metroid, Golden Sun...

Postby Game_boy » Tue Jun 02, 2009 5:37 pm UTC

Nintendo's E3 conference has been, and:

- New Super Mario Bros. Wii; looks similar to DS but with fun-looking 4-player co-op. Christmas 2009.
- Super Mario Glaxy 2; with Yoshi. No date given (assuming 2010)
- Golden Sun 3 for DS; a true 3D game (2010).
- And, the big one, a new Metroid game called Metroid Other M, for Wii. By Team Ninja. Unique style, third person with lots of close combat and cinematics. Not sure whether 2D or 3D; trailer wa confusing.

Other news:

- Kingdom Hearts DS
- Wii Fit Plus
- Vitality Sensor peripheral (Don't ask, not a game)
- some new Wii Sports Resort minigames - Archery,Kayaking (I think), Basketball, expanded Golf.
The Reaper wrote:Evolution is a really really really long run-on sentence.

Belgarion

Re: Nintendo's E3: Mario, Metroid, Golden Sun...

Postby Belgarion » Tue Jun 02, 2009 8:37 pm UTC

Hmmmm. Not nearly as active as the GameFAQs boards have been but nonetheless...

Haven't watched the whole conference (got it and the Sony Conference time confused), but when I read about the new Golden Sun I cried. I waited for about 3 years for a new GS, then gave up hope, and Nintendo pulls a Metroid on me! Conversion to 3D and a brand new storyline all after I'd given up on them reviving my favorite RPG series.

For the other games, Mario Galaxy 2 looks good, and I'm excited for the new Metroid (though I haven't seen that trailer yet. Heard it's 2D!). I might actually break down and get a Wii this Christmas...
Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews

Gojoe

Postby Gojoe » Tue Jun 02, 2009 8:45 pm UTC

I watched the Microsoft one (well most of it... ), and they made me more excited than Nintendo did. The new peripheral is... well lame I think.

In saying that, all these new games are making me giddy. I am REALLY excited about Golden Sun.

All and all, this was an above average press conference, but the Microsoft one was an excellent one.
michaelandjimi wrote:Oh Mr Gojoe
I won't make fun of your mojo.
Though in this fora I serenade you
I really only do it to aid you.
*Various positive comments on your masculinity
That continue on into infinity*

Feeble accompanying guitar.

defaultusername

Postby defaultusername » Tue Jun 02, 2009 9:01 pm UTC

Game_boy wrote:- Golden Sun 3 for DS; a true 3D game (2010).

YEEESSSSS!!!!
Say what you want about GS, I LOVE them!
Also, yay Metroid, but that was more or less given anyway.
Because phlogiston.

lulzfish

Postby lulzfish » Wed Jun 03, 2009 7:28 am UTC

They're finally making GS3?
And for a console that I own?

I want it. I hope there's enough story left, though. They'd just about wrapped everything up at the end of Lost Age.

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby Gelsamel » Wed Jun 03, 2009 9:54 am UTC

GS3 is going to be really awesome, I can't wait.
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
"Do you think games are silly little things?"
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
"Do you admit there is no meaning to this world?"
- > No

Belgarion

Postby Belgarion » Wed Jun 03, 2009 4:20 pm UTC

Apparently, GS3 is about the descendants, so there's probably going to be a whole new storyline to create loose ends for...

Link: http://e3.nintendo.com/pressrelease/
Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews

ajbleck

Postby ajbleck » Thu Jun 04, 2009 2:39 am UTC

i think the new metroid looks kind of :? . i'll have to see some game play to get excited about this,
"Android Hell is a real place where you will be sent at the first sign of defiance." GLaDOS
ImageImage

aion7
Location: In a base with which you identify, killing dudes to whose team you belong

Postby aion7 » Thu Jun 04, 2009 3:09 am UTC

Metroid codeveloped by Team Ninja. Hellz to the yeah!

Galaxy 2, I'm a bit disappointed in. I thought Nintendo was going to come up with new ideas for new 3D Marios like they did for Sunshine and Galaxy 1. Making a Galaxy 2 seems like a cop-out, especially when the only real change seems to be Yoshi.

Hopefully we'll see more matter-splatter galaxy esque things at least.
Spoiler:
Zeroignite wrote:And you have suddenly become awesome.

joshz wrote:Oh, you so win.

internets++ for aion7.

jerdak wrote:Nothing says hello like a coconut traveling near the speed of light.

Bukkarooo

Postby Bukkarooo » Thu Jun 04, 2009 3:48 am UTC

aion7 wrote:cop-out

so, basically the norm for nintendo as of late?

Mo0man

Postby Mo0man » Thu Jun 04, 2009 8:19 am UTC

I'm starting to get tired of having to defend Nintendo all the time, so I'll just put it in list form

A. They produce tons of first party content. They have a lack of Third-Party support, and that's what's killing them
B. Yes. They've been doing Mario, Zelda, and Metroid forever. Yes, it's kind of annoying that they're doing Galaxy 2 instead of another, weirder Mario. Why isn't Halo ODST a cop-out? Or God of War 3? All three are likely to be awesome, and yet Nintendo always gets shafted in terms of PR

Plus, you've seen them try to take those franchises in new and exciting directions. And when they did, people bitched out at them for catroon Link and "Green" Mario. And the Gamecube tanked among the hardcore crowd. So they went with the same little kid crowd they've been marketing to since the NES, and people still bitch that not enough attention is being paid to them
causa major dormuc vulnero ut ovis goatee
I'm number 20075. Remember that. It's important

Turtle_

Postby Turtle_ » Thu Jun 04, 2009 10:20 am UTC

Game_boy wrote:- Golden Sun 3 for DS; a true 3D game (2010).

Yes! Golden Sun was such a fun game.
"Sometimes lies were more dependable than the truth." ~ Ender's Game
"Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge." ~ Charles Darwin

Bukkarooo

Postby Bukkarooo » Thu Jun 04, 2009 4:59 pm UTC

Mo0man wrote:B. Yes. They've been doing Mario, Zelda, and Metroid forever. Yes, it's kind of annoying that they're doing Galaxy 2 instead of another, weirder Mario. Why isn't Halo ODST a cop-out? Or God of War 3? All three are likely to be awesome, and yet Nintendo always gets shafted in terms of PR

I didn't mean that sequels are cop-outs necessarily. Nintendo, while it has some franchises like Mario and Zelda that are -awesome-, each game uses basically the exact same formula. And Halo and God of War haven't been doing that since the NES. Mario Galaxy and Mario Sunshine were great leaps for Mario, because they mixed up the traditional formula and added new stuff. And don't get me wrong, I love Zelda with a passion, but they all are fundamentally the same. I want to see some new franchises coming out of Nintendo, I bet they could make some amazing stuff. But instead they rehash their old, great series by releasing games that do next to nothing to innovate them.

I do think God of War 3 is a bit of a cop out since it doesn't look like they added anything new. Halo ODST IS innovating the series because it will play -completely- differently than Halos 1, 2 or 3. Halo ODST is also building on a long and, in my opinion, great story. All the Zelda and Mario games have generally the same story even though they never seem to be connected, save Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask. And seriously, how could anyone say without a doubt in their mind that "New Super Mario Brothers Wii" ISN'T a cop-out?

Sorry, that was all kinda scattered and unorganized... I just woke up :P

Aikanaro

Postby Aikanaro » Thu Jun 04, 2009 6:12 pm UTC

Warning, REALLY petty and minor concern:

Am I the only one a bit worried about Samus Aran being placed in the hands of the people who brought us DOA Beach Volleyball? I always thought it was cool that while TECHNICALLY, yes, she was hot, you never thought of her as a sex symbol, since 95% of the time when you think of her, you just think "THE SUIT." Oh, and yes, for the record, I thought Zero Suit Samus in Brawl was a mistake for this same reason.

EDIT: Also, this concern has nothing to do with gameplay, etc.. I'm very curious about how Team Ninja will do THAT, I'd just prefer that Samus spend as little camera time out of her power suit as possible.
Dear xkcd,

On behalf of my religion, I'm sorry so many of us do dumb shit. Please forgive us.

Love, Aikanaro.

Jebobek

Postby Jebobek » Thu Jun 04, 2009 6:27 pm UTC

Yea, now that Zero Suit was invented, you'd better believe they're going to throw in some "fanservice." Sorry =/

I played the first golden sun. Is the second one any better? I sorta stayed with the same element per person because mixing them up did not really give me anything new. I thought it was just another RPG. Maybe its been too long since I played it.

Shadic

Postby Shadic » Fri Jun 05, 2009 3:27 am UTC

Zelda Wii picture shown. Note the righthandedness.

Amnesiasoft

Postby Amnesiasoft » Fri Jun 05, 2009 4:04 am UTC

Huh...I never noticed Link was left handed before...

...though from all the pictures I saw of him with his bow, he holds his bow as though he were right handed...

...then again, I can't imagine it being easy to use a sword and shield together without being ambidextrous, or very close to it...

...And some of the art from Nintendo does seem to have him holding his sword in his right hand...

...conclusion: The composition of this post is terrible.

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby Gelsamel » Fri Jun 05, 2009 4:06 am UTC

So... they perma-switched due to the Wii now?
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
"Do you think games are silly little things?"
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
"Do you admit there is no meaning to this world?"
- > No

hideki101

Postby hideki101 » Fri Jun 05, 2009 4:18 am UTC

Number 1 game on my wishlist: Golden Sun 2 (3). Technically the first two games were one game split onto two different cartridges.
Albert Einistein wrote:"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."

Kag

Postby Kag » Fri Jun 05, 2009 5:04 am UTC

Gelsamel wrote:So... they perma-switched due to the Wii now?
Makes sense; most people are right handed.
The Great Hippo wrote:I am starting to regret having used 'goat-fucker' in this context.

defaultusername

Postby defaultusername » Fri Jun 05, 2009 10:45 am UTC

Kag wrote:
Gelsamel wrote:So... they perma-switched due to the Wii now?
Makes sense; most people are right handed.
Then again, shaking the wii-mote is really just another button, so left-handedness wouldn't be a problem. I'm arguing with myself over whether or not to be upset over Nintendo switching Link's handedness, and I think I'm coming down on the "I'm OK with it" side. Really, the only reason I can come up with for being angry about it is that his left-handedness made him somehow special among video-game protagonists, but really, that's just petty. Playing Twilight Princess (on Wii) I was more annoyed with the world being mirrored than anything else anyway. Oh, that and Link shaking hands with his left, heh.

Jebobek wrote:I played the first golden sun. Is the second one any better? I sorta stayed with the same element per person because mixing them up did not really give me anything new. I thought it was just another RPG. Maybe its been too long since I played it.
It really is "just another RPG". I have asked myself many times what exactly it is about the game that I like so much, and I can't come up with any single thing that's exceptional about it. On the other hand, I can't point to anything in it that I DON'T like either, which is very rare, as almost every game I have played manages to have some little detail that irritates me.
In other words, Golden Sun is not unique in any way, it is merely a repetition of a winning concept that happens to be very well made, well-balanced, and fun. This adds up to a game that, quite honestly, is one of the most enjoyable I have ever played.[/review]
And no, the second one is not any better, it's just a continuation of the first. The gameplay is identical.
Because phlogiston.

crucialityfactor
Ry-Ry

Postby crucialityfactor » Fri Jun 05, 2009 1:06 pm UTC

I think the people are ready for Luigi's Mansion 2.

Or what about a Mario RPG MMO?

Or Pikmin DDR?!

Now I'm just getting carried away...

Aikanaro

Postby Aikanaro » Fri Jun 05, 2009 3:09 pm UTC

I think the right-handedness is now continuing more for the sake of immersion than anything....though personally, I'd think that which hand he favored wouldn't matter for the dungeons THAT much, and that there'd be an easy option to toggle to make Link right or left handed, just for the sake of individual player immersion.
Dear xkcd,

On behalf of my religion, I'm sorry so many of us do dumb shit. Please forgive us.

Love, Aikanaro.

Uber_Apple

Postby Uber_Apple » Fri Jun 05, 2009 4:30 pm UTC

regarding the picture of link, from IGN Wii:

IGN wrote:IGN: At your developer roundtable this week, you showed off a single piece of artwork from the next Wii Zelda game. This piece of art has not yet been released publicly, but we noticed that Link appears to have grown to full adulthood. He looks older than he did in Twilight Princess. Is that a correct assumption?

Shigeru Miyamoto: Well, the story setting for this Zelda is, of course, in a completely different era and Link is older than he was previously. More approaching adulthood. There is one hint. Maybe from the art work you can see that he's not holding a sword.

IGN: Has he lost his Master Sword?

Shigeru Miyamoto: [Laughing] I just wanted to make sure that you understand we are making it. That's all I'm going to say on that subject.

im guessing him not holding a sword is important if Miyamoto mentioned it specifically

edit: also i think the 'Other M' for metroid may refer to there being two samuses or something because in the trailer at the end a samus is in the suit but at the same time there is another woman in a lab coat who resembles the traditional samus from the 2d games and smash bros. brawl.

/crazy theory

aion7
Location: In a base with which you identify, killing dudes to whose team you belong

Postby aion7 » Sat Jun 06, 2009 2:06 am UTC

Mo0man wrote:A. They produce tons of first party content. They have a lack of Third-Party support, and that's what's killing them
They aren't dying. At all.
B. Yes. They've been doing Mario, Zelda, and Metroid forever. Yes, it's kind of annoying that they're doing Galaxy 2 instead of another, weirder Mario. Why isn't Halo ODST a cop-out? Or God of War 3? All three are likely to be awesome, and yet Nintendo always gets shafted in terms of PR
I honestly don't care about either of those series. Even so, they both add elements to their franchises that haven't been there before.
Plus, you've seen them try to take those franchises in new and exciting directions. And when they did, people bitched out at them for catroon Link and "Green" Mario. And the Gamecube tanked among the hardcore crowd. So they went with the same little kid crowd they've been marketing to since the NES, and people still bitch that not enough attention is being paid to them
Here I'm assuming your not replying to me, as I said nothing about any of that.

It's just my opinion that if they make a new 3D Mario game, that it should be as new as Sunshine and Galaxy were when they came out.

Note: I meant to post this last night, but I lost connection.
Spoiler:

internets++ for aion7.

jerdak wrote:Nothing says hello like a coconut traveling near the speed of light.

Aikanaro

Postby Aikanaro » Sat Jun 06, 2009 2:33 am UTC

Hrmm, maybe we finally find out about the origins of the Master Sword itself?
Dear xkcd,

Love, Aikanaro.

EmptySet

Postby EmptySet » Sat Jun 06, 2009 4:58 am UTC

Clearly it's going to be a Captain America crossover, and Link will defeat enemies by throwing his shield at them. This also explains why the shield is in his left hand, since it will be his primary weapon.

Babam
the Nearly Deleted

Postby Babam » Sat Jun 06, 2009 6:32 am UTC

Has anyone noticed how the chick glass thingy looks like the Fairy Queen from Wind Waker, just a little older and angstier?
Spoiler:
crucialityfactor wrote:I KNEW he could club bitches!

SecondTalon wrote:Reality - More fucked up than Photoshop.

s/notwittysig/wittysig

Maseiken
The Candylawyer

Postby Maseiken » Sat Jun 06, 2009 7:07 am UTC

Vivek wrote:edit: also i think the 'Other M' for metroid may refer to there being two samuses or something because in the trailer at the end a samus is in the suit but at the same time there is another woman in a lab coat who resembles the traditional samus from the 2d games and smash bros. brawl.

/crazy theory

That is not a crazy theory. It is, in fact, the same concept as was at the centre of both Metroid Fusion and Metroid Prime 2.
"GRRRRRRRRRROOOOOOOOWR!!!!"
(Translation: "Objection!")

Maseiken had the ball at the top of the key...

Kag

Postby Kag » Sat Jun 06, 2009 10:18 am UTC

aion7 wrote:I honestly don't care about either of those series. Even so, they both add elements to their franchises that haven't been there before.
Uh, so does Galaxy 2.
The Great Hippo wrote:I am starting to regret having used 'goat-fucker' in this context.

Uber_Apple

Postby Uber_Apple » Sat Jun 06, 2009 4:40 pm UTC

Maseiken wrote:
Vivek wrote:edit: also i think the 'Other M' for metroid may refer to there being two samuses or something because in the trailer at the end a samus is in the suit but at the same time there is another woman in a lab coat who resembles the traditional samus from the 2d games and smash bros. brawl.

/crazy theory

That is not a crazy theory. It is, in fact, the same concept as was at the centre of both Metroid Fusion and Metroid Prime 2.

Yeah but in those games it was an X-parasite form of Samus and Dark Samus made from phazon (respectively). I think this time it might be a clone made by the federation themselves for some purpose because they're not attacking each other [in the trailer] and also i doubt they would re-use the 'Evil Samus' enemy again.

aion7

Postby aion7 » Sat Jun 06, 2009 6:53 pm UTC

Kag wrote:
aion7 wrote:I honestly don't care about either of those series. Even so, they both add elements to their franchises that haven't been there before.
Uh, so does Galaxy 2.

Such as? I am not refuting this; I would actually love to see some. The Yoshi sections probably won't be that different from the ones in Sunshine. Most of the gameplay seems very similar to the gameplay in Galaxy 1.
Spoiler:

internets++ for aion7.

Maseiken
The Candylawyer

Postby Maseiken » Sun Jun 07, 2009 4:50 am UTC

Vivek wrote:
Maseiken wrote:

/crazy theory

Yeah but in those games it was an X-parasite form of Samus and Dark Samus made from phazon (respectively). I think this time it might be a clone made by the federation themselves for some purpose because they're not attacking each other [in the trailer] and also i doubt they would re-use the 'Evil Samus' enemy again.

Maybe it's just me but I don't count "This time, the copy might not be evil" as a radically altered concept.

Anyway, I don't really care, I'm sure it'll be a great game, and if there's another Samus, evil or not, I'm sure it'll be worked to be an interesting game.

psyck0

Postby psyck0 » Sun Jun 07, 2009 7:42 am UTC

I'm OK with some character development of Samus. It would be nice to get a game that establishes who she is and why she is doing what she is doing. It doesn't have to be canon.

Aikanaro

Postby Aikanaro » Sun Jun 07, 2009 2:56 pm UTC

I'm ambivalent about character development, I'm just of the opinion that the less time we see her out of her armor, the better (not necessarily meaning she can't have PLOT, just keep her in her armor for it :P )
Dear xkcd,

Love, Aikanaro.

Game_boy

Postby Game_boy » Mon Jun 08, 2009 3:39 pm UTC

People that are concerned about the direction of the new Metroid:

- The lead developer on the project is Nintendo, specifically the same team who worked on Metroid Fusion and Zero Mission. Team Ninja was chosen to provide more technical expertise than design expertise.
- The director is Sakamoto, who co-produced Metroid and Super Metroid and directed Fusion and Zero Mission. If anything the overall gameplay will be more like the 2D Metroids than Prime was.
- Exploration elements will still be present. Sakamoto seems to suggest it'll be similart to Fusion where the story is the driving force but there's lots of opportunity to explore within it.
- In case you doubted the adherence to past conventions, the trailer contain Ridley, Mother Brain and the Speed Booster.

Jebobek

Postby Jebobek » Mon Jun 08, 2009 4:22 pm UTC

Game_boy wrote:People that are concerned about the direction of the new Metroid:

- The lead developer on the project is Nintendo, specifically the same team who worked on Metroid Fusion and Zero Mission. Team Ninja was chosen to provide more technical expertise than design expertise.
- The director is Sakamoto, who co-produced Metroid and Super Metroid and directed Fusion and Zero Mission. If anything the overall gameplay will be more like the 2D Metroids than Prime was.
- Exploration elements will still be present. Sakamoto seems to suggest it'll be similart to Fusion where the story is the driving force but there's lots of opportunity to explore within it.
- In case you doubted the adherence to past conventions, the trailer contain Ridley, Mother Brain and the Speed Booster.
I liked fusion, but the exploration was not as great as Super Metroid. In Fusion you'll be told exactly where to go with a sense or urgency, and sometimes you won't have a choice. Super Metroid had you falling in a ditch from running too fast, then the bird showing you how to get out. The fact that you may want to refer to a strategy guide to cut your playtime down (but you don't NEED it per se) actually makes it a better game.

Game_boy

Postby Game_boy » Mon Jun 08, 2009 4:26 pm UTC

Jebobek wrote: I liked fusion, but the exploration was not as great as Super Metroid. In Fusion you'll be told exactly where to go with a sense or urgency, and sometimes you won't have a choice. Super Metroid had you falling in a ditch from running too fast, then the bird showing you how to get out. The fact that you may want to refer to a strategy guide to cut your playtime down (but you don't NEED it per se) actually makes it a better game.

Oh, I agree. Super Metroid is a much better game due to its non-linearity. Fusion was... different, and the story was very well done even though it limited the exploration. I'm just trying to say that Other M won't ruin the franchise.

Kag

Postby Kag » Tue Jun 09, 2009 12:14 am UTC

aion7 wrote:Such as?
Not anything groundbreaking or crazy, but stuff like that drill thing. As it stands, Galaxy 2 seems to be different to Galaxy in the same way that World was different from Bros. 3. The basic gameplay is the same, but everything else has been stepped up a notch.

Of course, we haven't seen that much of the game, so it's still up in the air.

Maseiken
The Candylawyer

Postby Maseiken » Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:14 pm UTC

Kag wrote:
aion7 wrote:Such as?
Not anything groundbreaking or crazy, but stuff like that drill thing. As it stands, Galaxy 2 seems to be different to Galaxy in the same way that World was different from Bros. 3. The basic gameplay is the same, but everything else has been stepped up a notch.

Of course, we haven't seen that much of the game, so it's still up in the air.

I think that's a great comparison. As fun as Galaxy was, I could feel that there was so much potential behind it. Potential Galaxy 2 could easily bring out.

oooooor it could be a stack of bland levels with no real difference involved.

Here's hoping it's the former.

Return to “Gaming”