So I have this here one subject notebook...

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Arbitrary

So I have this here one subject notebook...

Postby Arbitrary » Wed Jun 17, 2009 3:20 pm UTC

And I was wondering if any of you could help me list things that I can write in it to fill it up! So far I got

To do lists
Ideas
Problems I need to address

But I'm looking for more, I love writing things down and this will give me something to occupy my time

Jos

Re: So I have this here one subject notebook...

Postby Jos » Wed Jun 17, 2009 3:23 pm UTC

Notifying the boook you lose twenty dollars and my self respect?
philsov wrote:Internets is a gift to Jos.

littlebuddy wrote:hmm... I wonder if I should call rule 34 on that hammer moderator, she probably has nice legs.

Arbitrary

Postby Arbitrary » Wed Jun 17, 2009 3:24 pm UTC

Jos wrote:Notifying the boook you lose twenty dollars and my self respect?

Good idea, I'll add quotes I like too.

Endless Mike

Postby Endless Mike » Wed Jun 17, 2009 4:47 pm UTC

Your dreams!

Schmut

Postby Schmut » Wed Jun 17, 2009 4:55 pm UTC

I like the idea you have... In fact I'm doing almost the same thing... Except that I have seven lined books and three plain white books. Fortunately, they're being kept blank for now 'cause I've no idea which to use for what purpose. One is currently used to track my progress in designing a website, but that is all...

Anyway, here are some ideas of what I'll probably be filling mine with:
Lined
Story Ideas, summaries and development
Comedy development: Jokes and Routines (I occasionally try my hand at stand up comedy)
Song Music and Lyrics

Plain
Doodles and Sketches
Comic Book Development (character sketches, location plans, colour testing, etc.)
Workbooks for other major projects

Perhaps there's some ideas in there for you, perhaps not. I really like your idea of making notes of quotes you like; I'll probably devote one of the lined books to that.

Dreams is a very good idea! If you keep a dream journal, it actually improves your dream recall over time allowing for you to remember dreams with a greater sense of detail. I used to keep a dream journal; it's great fun.

Internetmeme

Postby Internetmeme » Wed Jun 17, 2009 6:13 pm UTC

Dream journals are also very nice if you decide to get into lucid dreaming. Knowing the signs that you are dreaming are very useful to know that you are dreaming, allowing you to control your dreams.
Spoiler:

clockworkmonk
I'm on a horse!

Postby clockworkmonk » Wed Jun 17, 2009 8:47 pm UTC

keeping scores for games that require it?

Thats what all my notebooks seem to be filled with.
418 I'm a teapot

Schmut

Postby Schmut » Wed Jun 17, 2009 8:55 pm UTC

Recipes! And cooking instructions thereof.

If you're not a cook, you simply start with some basic recipes taken from wherever you like (my father has emailed me some) and then you learn to adapt over time with some of your own experimentation. I think this is an idea I'm likely to adopt as soon as I start taking cooking seriously. Also, I'll start referring to my house mates as test subject A and B. :D

Sasha

Postby Sasha » Thu Jun 18, 2009 3:45 am UTC

My notebooks:
Red Book:
Rough drafts and ideas for papercraft and origami.
Random sketches.
This is a non-lingual one, the only one.

Green book:
Linguistic experiments and a log of my day as well as a dream diary if you flip it over.

Purple Book:
World design as well as language creation if you flip it over.

Blue book:
D&D top, Dark Heresy bottom.

See, in my notebooks, I write every other line in a compact script, leaving a blank line between each line. I then flip it over and use a different color of pen to do the other lines. If I have time perhaps I will scan some or something.
Marbas wrote:I'll usually jump from one strange thought to the next, such gems as: "I wonder if bears get depressed", "I think the sun is unnecessarily smug" and so on.

Schmut

Postby Schmut » Thu Jun 18, 2009 3:53 am UTC

Wombat wrote:See, in my notebooks, I write every other line in a compact script, leaving a blank line between each line. I then flip it over and use a different color of pen to do the other lines. If I have time perhaps I will scan some or something.

That's actually kind of wonderful! I used to flip my notebooks and write in all sorts of random rubbish from the back but there'd always be that horrible point where they met in the middle... Your solution is elegant and practical; I like it.

scrt_rbt_agnt
douche bag

Postby scrt_rbt_agnt » Thu Jun 18, 2009 4:18 am UTC

lists. anything lists. top five favorite songs. 44 terrible colors. 3 ugly ewoks. THE RESULTS ARE ENDLESS.
i am a poet and an artist

i don't wanna worry about dyin'
i just wanna worry about sunshine girls

z4lis

Postby z4lis » Thu Jun 18, 2009 7:46 am UTC

Fill it with the digits of your favorite irrational number in your favorite n-ary expansion.
What they (mathematicians) define as interesting depends on their particular field of study; mathematical anaylsts find pain and extreme confusion interesting, whereas geometers are interested in beauty.

GraphiteGirl
Alpha Male

Postby GraphiteGirl » Thu Jun 18, 2009 8:14 am UTC

Schmut wrote:
Wombat wrote:See, in my notebooks, I write every other line in a compact script, leaving a blank line between each line. I then flip it over and use a different color of pen to do the other lines. If I have time perhaps I will scan some or something.

That's actually kind of wonderful! I used to flip my notebooks and write in all sorts of random rubbish from the back but there'd always be that horrible point where they met in the middle... Your solution is elegant and practical; I like it.

Agreed - I'm absolutely going to try this.

Perhaps consider filling it with "journal sketches" - not amazing drawings, but the visual equivalent of a diary.
(They're particularly good for long bus journeys, especially if you don't get motion sickness.
Sandry wrote:Man, my commitment to sparkle motion is waaaaay lower than you are intimating.

rnew
RAAAAAAGGGHHH I'M A DINOSAUR

Postby rnew » Thu Jun 18, 2009 8:22 am UTC

Just start writing out Pi until you run out of space.

Here's the first 50 million decimal places
Meowgan wrote:Rnew, you're so hot. Boom!
Zohar wrote:Seriously rnew, I cannot get over how awesome your avatar is. It brings up a smile every time I see it.

She

Postby She » Thu Jun 18, 2009 8:58 am UTC

A few years ago, when I first learned about binary numbers, I started counting upwards in binary in the margin:
And so forth I got to... (digs up old notebook) 10010101001 before the margin got too small. Then I went back and noted down a little 'p' next to all palindrome numbers.
She speaks in the third person
So she can forget that she's me

kcr

Postby kcr » Fri Jun 19, 2009 12:12 am UTC

For a few years I had this really pretty journal and I had no idea how to use it. It felt like it was a big waste since it when you open it, it lies flat perfectly.) Now I use it for quotes that I really like ... from movies, books, songs, things that people in my life say... It's nice.

I have another notebook that I use as a book log. I write the season at the top of a page and just list from there. New books get a little asterisk and my thoughts... re-read books (the majority) don't get anything special unless I feel like they deserve it.

OBrien

Postby OBrien » Fri Jun 19, 2009 1:11 am UTC

When I have lots of money in my account (ie: beginning of term and when I have my Christmas temp jobs) I use my notebook to keep track of how much I've spent and how much should be left in my account. I also use it to add to /cross thing off of my "things to do before I die" list, write down lyrics as they occur to me, doodle and make note of bands I randomly hear that I like.
Spelling and grammar can go screw themselves.

iscrewupCOPPAquestions

Postby iscrewupCOPPAquestions » Fri Jun 19, 2009 2:32 am UTC

I read this this morning and only just now came up with an answer.

Everything you are afraid of. Everything.

Spiders. Contamination from tupperware. That weird thing that happens when your eyes adjust to the dark and you're staring at the ceiling and think you can see bugs flying everywhere. Failure.

I bet if you really thought about it you could take out ten pages in a few days.

poxic
Eloquently Prismatic

Postby poxic » Fri Jun 19, 2009 2:42 am UTC

I have a friend who has kept a notebook for years. He has archives of his past notebooks going back for a long time. He uses them to scribble down those brilliant ideas, his plans for this or that, attempts at working out math or other problems, notes about who he talked to and what he said he'd do for them, so on and so forth. In the back of each notebook, he keeps his list of who he owes money to and how much (usually it's to his girlfriend, since they don't have a joint account. She buys the groceries and he pays her half, every time).

So he ends up with a record, in rough chronological order, of anything he thought worthy of writing down. He can, and does, dig back through them to remind himself of that brilliant thing he thought of that one time, or what conclusion he drew from a problem he worked out.

I keep thinking I'd like to start doing that, but I never do. I seem to have an allergy to recording my life's passage -- I don't keep a diary, have resisted attempts to start blogging, didn't even have a camera handy until last month or so (that was about 20 years without one). It's as though I want to walk like a ghost through this world, leaving no record blah blah blah. Or maybe I'm just really, flamingly lazy. I've suspected that for a while, too.
The Supreme Ethical Rule: Act so as to elicit the best in others and thereby in thyself.
- Felix Adler, professor, lecturer, and reformer (13 Aug 1851-1933)

Velict

Postby Velict » Fri Jun 19, 2009 2:53 am UTC

I recommend keeping a journal of sorts. Recording important events, good ideas you've had, who you met, what they said, etc. Having and reviewing a written record of your life is absolutely amazing when it comes to recalling bits of data and analyzing your actions (or those of others) for potential improvements.

Dave the Explosive Newt

Postby Dave the Explosive Newt » Fri Jun 19, 2009 6:17 pm UTC

Plans!

No, really. Not in a supervillain way. I jot down plans in brief of how I'm going to do a particular project - resources I'll need, timeframe, etc. Can be anything from putting on a show, revising for an exam or writing a report. I just find it focusses my mind a bit better.
"Clevinger, the Corporal and Colonel Korn agreed that it was neither possible nor necessary to educate people who never questioned anything." - Joseph Heller, Catch-22

L.B.

Postby L.B. » Sat Jun 20, 2009 2:59 am UTC

Teach yourself how to conjugate verbs in other languages.
Or memorize the phonetic alphabet and start writing letters to people with it. Absurd!
I second the Pi thing. Actually, i memorized the first twenty digits of pi when i was avoiding Spanish homework, so it's a very versatile practice.

parkaboy
who dwells between the borders of time

Postby parkaboy » Sat Jun 20, 2009 4:06 am UTC

I don't know what you should do with it, but I've just gotten a wonderful idea that I think I'll act on very soon.

actually, you should draw box pyramids. like this: http://designpear.com/previews/3d-objec ... -boxes.gif only lots more. Pages of them. and make lists INSIDE the squares.

Back in our day we had to walk uphill both ways through the snow on fire without feet to get fucking terrible relationship advice from disinterested and socially maladjusted nerds. Belial

LL Cool J
___ and ___

Postby LL Cool J » Sat Jun 20, 2009 5:28 am UTC

Write down every interesting thing you see. Bittersweet or nerdy graffiti, conversations between strangers on trains. Do tracings of interesting objects - put a coin or a leaf underneath the page and shade the paper with pencil or pen, so that you get a fuzzy sketch. Write down important addresses and phone numbers, then list ways to remember the sequences (88 - Pulp Fiction, 31 - pi, 656 - my old bus route) and memorise them.
Cut out (or print) pictures or passages or facts you like, and stick them in.
Try to make ambigrams.
Make little cartoons using the corner bits of each page.
Date everything, at least roughly, so that if you need to find something later you can use the dates as a guide.

Or, what parkaboy said. That would look awesome.
Rippy wrote:Slogan: "Beauty. Grace. Fluticasone propionate. Inhale twice daily."

GraphiteGirl
Alpha Male

Postby GraphiteGirl » Sat Jun 20, 2009 10:23 am UTC

iscrewupCOPPAquestions wrote:I read this this morning and only just now came up with an answer.

Everything you are afraid of. Everything.

Spiders. Contamination from tupperware. That weird thing that happens when your eyes adjust to the dark and you're staring at the ceiling and think you can see bugs flying everywhere. Failure.

I bet if you really thought about it you could take out ten pages in a few days.

I have a friend who sat down and did precisely this one day. He only ever managed to fill two pages though, and the second page was entirely romance-related.
Sandry wrote:Man, my commitment to sparkle motion is waaaaay lower than you are intimating.

PatrickRsGhost

Postby PatrickRsGhost » Sat Jun 20, 2009 3:20 pm UTC

1. Get subway pass.
2. Board various trains, ride for a few stops
3. Sit across from attractive member of the opposite sex
4. Look down at notebook, scribble down something like "What's his/her name?" or "I wonder if he/she likes (something you like)?"
5. Stop writing
6. Look up and at said attractive member of opposite sex
7. Blush
8. Look quickly back down at notebook, scribble something else, or pretend to scribble
9. Repeat Steps 6-8
10. ???
11. Profit? Or, possible relationship?
12. Or could this start something more sinister?
PRG

An important message for you:

medlii

Postby medlii » Mon Jun 22, 2009 2:25 am UTC

When I remember, I like to write down interesting things that I see or want to learn more about. Quotes, poems, and lyrics that you find interesting are good. Sometimes I think up puns, jokes, or silly connections and write them down. Condensing them into one notebook would be a good idea!

For example, yesterday I went to a nearby park in Ohio and there was a statue of the composer Richard Wagner. I wrote down his name to look up why the statue was there. When I went home, I used my google-fu and found out that many German immigrants lived in that area when the park opened.

scrovak

Postby scrovak » Mon Jun 22, 2009 10:09 pm UTC

Heres a bit for irony...

A list of reasons NOT to write in the book...
MrGee wrote:I would never eat a person. Have you seen the conditions they're raised in?
kapojinha wrote:You're amazing, which is why I'm going to marry you.

Angua wrote:coordinated baby attacks

zaqwithaq

Postby zaqwithaq » Fri Jun 26, 2009 6:47 am UTC

here's what you do:
sit down for 5 minutes and stare at a wall. or a blank sheet of paper
write down everything you think.
its crazy whats in your head.
Spoiler:

Esperite

Postby Esperite » Sat Aug 22, 2009 4:45 pm UTC

Any notebook I have always ends up having two things in it.

A. Drawings/Doodles
-I will draw on any paper in front of me alot, with Murphy's law guiding me to the most neccesarry papers when I am going to doodle something awesome.

B. Random Thoughts/Ideas
-Whenever I play any game at all (Video game, Board game, Computer Game, etc.) I invariably like thinking of new ideas for the game. I tend to think about these for a while then right them down in the backs of my notebooks. Sometimes I just get random ideas for different things as well, and they also go in them.
"A thing is not necessarily true because a man dies for it."
— Oscar Wilde

The Scyphozoa

Postby The Scyphozoa » Sat Aug 22, 2009 6:04 pm UTC

This, of course.
3rdtry wrote:If there ever is another World War, I hope they at least have the decency to call it "World War 2: Episode One"

doogly wrote:murder is a subset of being mean

Return to “General”