[SAFESPACE] Woman Thread - All Things Women. Period.

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Isotope_238

Re: [SAFESPACE] Woman Thread-The thread that gives (every month)

Postby Isotope_238 » Wed Jun 24, 2009 12:15 am UTC

Ooh, pretty pictures of jewelry!
I love necklaces, because they're the sort of jewelry that I can put on and forget about. I don't wear rings much, if at all, to protect my flute. Bracelets get in the way when I'm typing (I'm a CS major, and I spend too much time on the computer anyway), but I have some pretty ones that I do like to wear. I would wear bracelets more in the summer, except now it's hot and I hate the feel of sweaty skin under the jewelry.

On the subject of jeans, is it worth my time to shop in the guys' section? I own a pair of cargo shorts from the Target boys' section, but I've never tried full length pants.

eternal luna

Postby eternal luna » Wed Jun 24, 2009 12:19 am UTC

Isotope_238 wrote:On the subject of jeans, is it worth my time to shop in the guys' section?
A resounding 'yes'. They are super comfortable, but I guess it would depend on your body shape.
Alexius:-Охуели? Нахуя дохуя хуйний нахуярили? Расхуяривай нахуй!
-Хули? Нихуя! Нехуй расхуяривать! Нахуячено нехуёво! Похуярили!
Gojoe: We are all inferior to you luna.

DJorgensen

Postby DJorgensen » Wed Jun 24, 2009 12:33 am UTC

eternal luna wrote:DJ- So pretty... I'm thinking of getting plugs for my ears- I do like how they look, but I'm not sure how to do it: I've had my ears pierced 5 times, and I'm horribly allergic to all metals commonly used in jewellery. I've heard reports that the piercings smell awful after a time; is there any truth to that?

Its nearly impossible to be allergic to glass jewelery because its so inert. Organic stuff is also less likely for someone to have reactions to (Wood, Bone, Amber, Tusk, Horn, Stone, Quartz) but it breaks down with time and is far more prone to breaking and cracking. Implant grade steel (316LVM ASTM F-138 is the alloy and is what you are looking for - its commonly on piercing jewelery) is something people are not supposed to be allergic to as well as gold (but you are looking at very high quality gold 24K, which is rather porous and not good for healing). Other metals is a very different story. So if you have never tried surgical steel that may be the simplest route - starting small and then working larger. The other option is to get your ears punched to a large gauge.
As for the smell, uhm it happens. I just shower often. I found any metal piercings make it worse, glass is not nearly as bad, and organic stuff is supposed to be great for preventing any smell.

TaintedDeity wrote:DJ: I'd just like to say some of your rings are absolutely beautiful.
I especially like the two filligree/celtic patterned ones.

Awwe thx~
trap: a device in which something (usually an animal) can be caught and penned.

namaize

Postby namaize » Wed Jun 24, 2009 12:35 am UTC

eternal luna wrote:
Isotope_238 wrote:On the subject of jeans, is it worth my time to shop in the guys' section?
A resounding 'yes'. They are super comfortable, but I guess it would depend on your body shape.
...Or how much you care about jeans conforming to your body shape. Sizing is much easier since guys tend to have stuff measured by waist/inseam... though the waist would probably be a bit larger than your actual measurement so your hips actually fit.

eternal luna

Postby eternal luna » Wed Jun 24, 2009 12:42 am UTC

Mmm, I wear my man-jeans low on the hips.

DJ- I was more nervous about the initial piercing. I've tried gold (24k and 18k), silver, titanium and surgical steel, and had reactions to all of them.

Virtual_Aardvark

Postby Virtual_Aardvark » Wed Jun 24, 2009 12:45 am UTC

My bone plugs seem to actually make the smell worse for me as well as any organic plugs. Glass and stainless steel are completely fine, especially since I clean the holes and the plugs every other night. But generally I save my fancy bone and wood jewelery for special occasions.

As for other jewelery I wear captive ball hoops in both my second piercings and regularly switch out my industrial bar as well as my naval piercing.
There is also a necklace that I never take off which is a blown glass bead containing a mushroom and threaded on a hemp cord. I don't have a picture but anyone whose spent any time near street vendors or in smoke shops or really anywhere that hippies seem to frequent are sure to know what I mean.
"imaginary gardens with real toads in them"
Mighty Jalapeno wrote:An actual cloud... full of lesbians.

apricity
almost grown-up but not quite

Postby apricity » Wed Jun 24, 2009 1:13 am UTC

Jessica wrote:Finally, my rings, which I almost never wear. Everyone was bought at an event and generally cost less than $20, if not in the $4 range.
I love the third pride ring. That's beautiful.
LE4d wrote:have you considered becoming an electron

it takes just a little practice to learn to be
(she/her/hers)

Isotope_238

Postby Isotope_238 » Wed Jun 24, 2009 1:37 am UTC

Re guy-jeans: I'm pretty skinny in the waist and legs, with proportionally longish legs, but my butt is pretty curvy. I don't like to wear terribly low-rise jeans, but I don't mind wearing a belt. I guess I'll have to just try on the jeans and see.

GraphiteGirl
Alpha Male

Postby GraphiteGirl » Wed Jun 24, 2009 2:05 am UTC

DJ, your earrings are fantastic, especially your black curly ones.
I have one ear pierced, just because when I had them both done one got infected, and I just got used to having one earring most of the time. It makes life much easier when I'm getting dressed in a hurry to only have to find one earring. Usually it's just a plain stud, but occasionally I'll wear something long and dangly in there.
I have thick fingers, so I only have a couple of rings I wear very occasionally, and I only wear them on the left hand so they don't get in the way when writing or drawing.
Spoiler:
This one's my favourite; it's made of a rolled-up piece of metal from one of my mum's sewing kits, originally meant for garment embellishment.
Photo 42.jpg
Photo 42.jpg (44.42 KiB) Viewed 6616 times

Only have a few bracelets, and only wear them rarely, for the same reason as the rings.
Spoiler:
Israeli designers just rock.
Photo 43.jpg
Photo 43.jpg (52.4 KiB) Viewed 6619 times

Necklaces and chokers are my favourite kind of jewellery; I go for either really traditional choker-type things:
Spoiler:
Photo 39.jpg
Photo 39.jpg (40.32 KiB) Viewed 6612 times

Or these sorts of slightly odd necklaces:
Spoiler:
Photo 36.jpg
Photo 36.jpg (52.68 KiB) Viewed 6612 times

Spoiler:
Mum brought this back from Canada; it's a fossil of some sort.
Photo 37.jpg
Photo 37.jpg (52.15 KiB) Viewed 6606 times

Spoiler:
Photo 38.jpg
Photo 38.jpg (47.17 KiB) Viewed 6607 times

Oh, and do any of you like pocketwatches?
Spoiler:
Photo 41.jpg
Photo 41.jpg (56.44 KiB) Viewed 6606 times
Sandry wrote:Man, my commitment to sparkle motion is waaaaay lower than you are intimating.

Delalyra

Postby Delalyra » Wed Jun 24, 2009 2:25 am UTC

*giggles, coughs at pocketwatches, points to blog for explanation*

Do I?!

(no, seriously, it's pretty. As are the chokers, and I love the fork necklace!)
you may remember me from 2008 or 2009. I left for a while. I'm now sporadically back. I tumble here.

kellsbells
Queen of Cupcakes

Postby kellsbells » Wed Jun 24, 2009 2:27 am UTC

GraphiteGirl wrote:Or these sorts of slightly odd necklaces:
Spoiler:
Photo 36.jpg
Ohmigoodness fork necklace. I want. So very much. And I utterly love your style (as well as everyone else's I've seen, we are all just obscenely chic).
A good pun is its own reword.
L wrote:A day without kells is a day not worth living.

Gentlelady

Postby Gentlelady » Wed Jun 24, 2009 2:39 am UTC

GraphiteGirl wrote:Oh, and do any of you like pocketwatches?
Spoiler:
Photo 41.jpg

I love pocket watches. I never thought of mine as a piece of jewelry.
d33p wrote:And Karma rode upon a pale horse, and GentleLady followed behind.
sleepygamer wrote:Once you go sleepy you never go backy.

GraphiteGirl
Alpha Male

Postby GraphiteGirl » Wed Jun 24, 2009 3:04 am UTC

Thanks Kells and Delarya; I found the fork necklace at a market, but you can make one yourself with an old, pretty fork and a pair of pliers.
Sandry wrote:Man, my commitment to sparkle motion is waaaaay lower than you are intimating.

kellsbells
Queen of Cupcakes

Postby kellsbells » Wed Jun 24, 2009 3:05 am UTC

GraphiteGirl wrote:Thanks Kells and Delarya; I found the fork necklace at a market, but you can make one yourself with an old, pretty fork and a pair of pliers.
I have a new project. :)
A good pun is its own reword.
L wrote:A day without kells is a day not worth living.

eternal luna

Postby eternal luna » Wed Jun 24, 2009 3:09 am UTC

I'm off to try that :D

But first, woman thread, I'd really like someone's opinion. My trivia team's theme is apparently "suits and sunnies". As the only girl on the team, I've been told that I can either wear a suit, or something feminine and formal. All my friends are larger than me by a lot so I can't borrow their suits, and I mentioned this to a friend of mine who replied that she had the perfect thing; she presented me with this today:
Spoiler:
hot pink suit.JPG
hot pink suit.JPG (21.95 KiB) Viewed 6573 times
Is it really as awful as I think?

Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...

Postby Jessica » Wed Jun 24, 2009 3:11 am UTC

I LOVE my fish earrings! They're flat plastic that's been painted on. They were bought by my mom at a craft convention in edmonton. they are my favourite, because they have character!

The typewriter key my sister bought in a store, but it might have also been locally made.

Luna: that is a hideous shirt. oh god... SO HORRIBLE
doogly wrote:On a scale of Mr Rogers to Fascism, how mean do you think we're being?
Belial wrote:My goal is to be the best brain infection any of you have ever had.

GraphiteGirl
Alpha Male

Postby GraphiteGirl » Wed Jun 24, 2009 3:25 am UTC

Luna, do you have a blazer hanging around? You can wear it with tailored pants.

Alternately, you could pin that suit top at the back, so that it has a little shape, and then find some ridiculous over-the-top Jackie O sunglasses, and make it a costume worn ironically.

parkaboy
who dwells between the borders of time

Postby parkaboy » Wed Jun 24, 2009 4:31 am UTC

What's a sunnie?

I'd also like to say that the skirt suit is atrocious, but it *does* seem to match your hair. I'd maybe keep the skirt and black tights and put a well fitted black button down shirt with it. orrrrrrrr... I'd go to any second-hand shop and put together something more flattering and less HOLYSHITBARBIEDOLLS! for very cheap. Lets see what other pieces you have that we could meld into something suitish?

Back in our day we had to walk uphill both ways through the snow on fire without feet to get fucking terrible relationship advice from disinterested and socially maladjusted nerds. Belial

semicharmed

Postby semicharmed » Wed Jun 24, 2009 4:55 am UTC

Jessica wrote:I LOVE my fish earrings! They're flat plastic that's been painted on. They were bought by my mom at a craft convention in edmonton. they are my favourite, because they have character!

That's what I thought, they are awesome though, and the kind of earrings, I imagine, that make everyone who notices them smile. If not remark on how awesome they are.

And luna, the skirt isn't bad, seems to fit okay, but the top is pretty bad. I think parka got it very right, with the ruffles it kind of screams "BARBIEEEE!"*. You'd definitely be able to wear a black dress shirt with the skirt, though, or maybe a nice blazer.

*I think I had a Barbie outfit, inherited from an older cousin, that featured similar ruffles. However, the ruffles were on a one shouldered, hot pink, shiny spandex tunic. Which went over a one shouldered, neon blue, shiny spandex bodysuit. I had some fabulous 80s hand-me-down Barbie clothes. And real clothes, come to think of it...

existential_elevator
The awesomest one!

Postby existential_elevator » Wed Jun 24, 2009 7:15 am UTC

Man, I kind of love the suit on you, Luna. It's pretty hard to manage to look good in strong colours like that, but somehow you do. I mean, if I put that on I'd look sooo washed out. I would recommend wearing the shirt as a jacket with a plain black top under. It could also be a good occasion for a waisted belt!

eternal luna

Postby eternal luna » Wed Jun 24, 2009 8:31 am UTC

Okay, thank you for the input! With the consensus on the shirt- yeah, I think I will leave that out if I don't just dump the whole thing.

I don't own a blazer, or anything remotely formal (I'm excluding ball gowns here), but, Graphite, I do like your idea. How can I pin it without causing too much damage? I'm fairly certain I could find a black buttoned shirt at the op-shop nearby which would be nice- I do like the skirt part; it's oddly flattering.

Parka- "sunnies" are just sunglasses.

Thanks, e_e :) I'll post my other experiments with it later.

GraphiteGirl
Alpha Male

Postby GraphiteGirl » Wed Jun 24, 2009 9:17 am UTC

Luna, how are your sewing skills?
Ideally, if you're ok at sewing, you can take the back of the jacket and... hrm, this is going to require a diagram.
Spoiler:

Sorry about the pathetic drawing quality, this was a two-minute sketch.

Step one: Put on the jacket, and have someone pull together the fabric at the back, pinching it together so that two pieces of the mid-back are pulled towards the centre of the back, roughly equidistant from the centre, and you're happy with the fit at the waist (see picture, because I'm hopeless at explaining this sort of thing verbally). Then have that same someone mark the place that they pinch on either side, either with chalk or with safety pins, and measure the distance between those two points when they're still gathered together. Then let the jacket fall back to the way it sits normally, leaving the markings on. (Alternately, leave it pinned to the waist measurement you like, then you can measure it yourself when you take it off.)

Step two: On the places that you marked, sew buttons, preferably large ones in an unobtrusive colour. Buttons, if you sew them with a minimum of tugging, are pretty easy to remove without causing damage.

Step three: Find some fabric that's a similar colour to the jacket, and cut an oblong piece of it, the same length as the measurement you made earlier plus about five centimetres; cut buttonholes. (Ideally, you'd also sew a hem along the edges of that oblong, and sew proper buttonholes, but let's presume you aren't as likely to waste a heap of time on this as I would be. For this reason, use fabric that's unlikely to fray, like velvet, or alternately cover the entire piece of fabric with a layer of PVA glue, which will definitely stop fraying for as long as you need it. Pick a strong, sturdy fabric, no satiny stuff.)

Step four: Put the oblong of fabric on to the back of the jacket by putting your attached buttons through the buttonholes.
Et voila! Hopefully a suit that fits a little better!
If it's not just the waist that's too loose, but the whole back, you can repeat the process with points along the back, making the row of buttons into a sort of fashion statement.

I'm a bit of a costume nerd.
This was my last and only major costuming project, for a show at student theatre; you'd have to right-click and select "view image to see the whole picture:
Spoiler:

Moo
Oh man! I'm going to be so rebellious! I'm gonna...

Postby Moo » Wed Jun 24, 2009 9:30 am UTC

Wow, how much does GraphiteGirl rock?
Proverbs 9:7-8 wrote:Anyone who rebukes a mocker will get an insult in return. Anyone who corrects the wicked will get hurt. So don't bother correcting mockers; they will only hate you.
Hawknc wrote:FFT: I didn't realise Proverbs 9:7-8 was the first recorded instance of "haters gonna hate"

Zohar
COMMANDER PORN

Postby Zohar » Wed Jun 24, 2009 9:39 am UTC

This much. *spreads hands wide*

That is an awesome sketch!
Mighty Jalapeno: "See, Zohar agrees, and he's nice to people."
SecondTalon: "Still better looking than Jesus."

Not how I say my name

GraphiteGirl
Alpha Male

Postby GraphiteGirl » Wed Jun 24, 2009 9:45 am UTC

Thanks! :oops:
Graphite is my moniker because usually I do semi-realistic pencil portraits. Sometime I should do a forum portrait gallery. Hmm... the uni holidays have just started...

eternal luna

Postby eternal luna » Wed Jun 24, 2009 9:48 am UTC

Do eeeeet. That was fantastic, thank you!

Moo

Postby Moo » Wed Jun 24, 2009 9:48 am UTC

Yes, do it, do it now.
Proverbs 9:7-8 wrote:Anyone who rebukes a mocker will get an insult in return. Anyone who corrects the wicked will get hurt. So don't bother correcting mockers; they will only hate you.
Hawknc wrote:FFT: I didn't realise Proverbs 9:7-8 was the first recorded instance of "haters gonna hate"

GraphiteGirl
Alpha Male

Postby GraphiteGirl » Wed Jun 24, 2009 9:55 am UTC

Ok, I'm going to start with the woman thread.
Everyone pick a photo of you that you love, full-length or just portrait, and I'll do individual portraits, then try and squeeze everyone into the same page. (This could take a few days... Or weeks...)

Cassi

Postby Cassi » Wed Jun 24, 2009 10:09 am UTC

Oooh, I like the sound of this. And hey, it just made me kill a few minutes looking through photos instead of staring at the clock... (Results in 51 minutes...)

Anyway, two under the spoiler, not sure between them. The second has always been one of my favourite photos of myself, but I like the general feel of the first as well.

Spoiler:

(The second one also goes back to the jewelry theme -- I wear that necklace for every formal event I can.
une see wrote:Cass, YOU are my favorite!

eternal luna

Postby eternal luna » Wed Jun 24, 2009 10:22 am UTC

Three in the spoiler.
Spoiler:
party fehs resized.jpg
party fehs resized.jpg (30.78 KiB) Viewed 6423 times
image200809130003.jpg
image200809130003.jpg (46.72 KiB) Viewed 6424 times
wittyshirt.jpg
wittyshirt.jpg (35.96 KiB) Viewed 6941 times
I couldn't choose, so whichever is easier for you to implement into a group thing. Maybe I like the last one a little more. I don't know.

Moo

Postby Moo » Wed Jun 24, 2009 10:24 am UTC

Man, I love that first pic of you. And the last one. So pretty.

michaelandjimi
Isn't Even Playing

Postby michaelandjimi » Wed Jun 24, 2009 10:56 am UTC

Damn, I wish I was a regular contributor in here. You have mad artz skillz, GraphiteGirl. As soon as you decide to do other people, I'm instantly there.
Whelan wrote:Relax, have a good time, and hope for the bees ;)

GraphiteGirl
Alpha Male

Postby GraphiteGirl » Wed Jun 24, 2009 11:11 am UTC

:D Thanks Michael! I'm excited about this now; keep the pics coming, I'm going to start on the individual portraits tonight.

blue_eyedspacemonkey

Postby blue_eyedspacemonkey » Wed Jun 24, 2009 11:39 am UTC

Picture under the spoiler. It's old, and doesn't look much like me, but I like it lots :)

Spoiler:
n309601094_328984_1704.jpg
n309601094_328984_1704.jpg (19.69 KiB) Viewed 6350 times

Graphite girl, you have mad skills! :)
"Nowadays most people die of a sort of creeping common sense, and discover when it is too late that the only things one never regrets are one's mistakes"

So. Twitter

Sungura
When life gives you banananas, make bananana bread

Postby Sungura » Wed Jun 24, 2009 11:55 am UTC

Me for the portrait! Pick whichever :)
Spoiler:
Ratties!.jpg
Ratties!.jpg (197.98 KiB) Viewed 6338 times

sciency.jpg
sciency.jpg (117.26 KiB) Viewed 6338 times
"Would you rather fight a Sungura-sized spider or 1000 spider-sized Sunguras?" -Zarq
she/<any gender neutral>/snug

eternal luna

Postby eternal luna » Wed Jun 24, 2009 11:59 am UTC

Amy, you have such a fantastic smile and beautiful eyes!

(Thank you, Moo. Also *hugs* I'm glad you're back.)

DJorgensen

Postby DJorgensen » Wed Jun 24, 2009 12:44 pm UTC

Virtual_Aardvark wrote:My bone plugs seem to actually make the smell worse for me as well as any organic plugs. Glass and stainless steel are completely fine, especially since I clean the holes and the plugs every other night. But generally I save my fancy bone and wood jewelery for special occasions.

Yeah I really only wear my bone ones for special occasions too. They don't really sit the greatest in there for sleeping and such I find.

GraphiteGirl wrote:DJ, your earrings are fantastic, especially your black curly ones.

Awwe thanks! I really really like glass and if I were to go to art school it would be something that I would love to work with. The black ones are Borneo spirals, I really like gorilla glass' line of jewelery. When my ears had smaller holes I had a smaller pair of those black spirals too :)
I really really really like your jewelery though and am entirely jealous (good stuff around here is ridiculously impossible to find).
The fossil from Canada there is Ammonite - its just an opalized lil critter. Its actually from my part of the country too~ (I'm quite a geek when it comes to rocks and such ^^; )

Oh and yay art! <3
trap: a device in which something (usually an animal) can be caught and penned.

Moo

Postby Moo » Wed Jun 24, 2009 12:51 pm UTC

I'll submit a photo for sketching as well if I may, but I can't choose. The last one's a few years old and prettier than I really am (yay professional photographer). Also, woah, pink.
Spoiler:

Zohar
COMMANDER PORN

Postby Zohar » Wed Jun 24, 2009 12:53 pm UTC

Both of those are really pretty. You look great in the second one, true, but you have such a natural smile on the first one that I think it's better.

GraphiteGirl, I think it would be cool if you made it a collage of specifically all the women of this thread. Maybe that's what you meant to do anyway, but it seems like a really nice idea, for some reason.
Mighty Jalapeno: "See, Zohar agrees, and he's nice to people."
SecondTalon: "Still better looking than Jesus."

Not how I say my name

suffer-cait
Yes, that's my perfectly normal house cat, why do you ask?

Postby suffer-cait » Wed Jun 24, 2009 1:00 pm UTC

i wanna submit photos! the second one i'm a bit younger, but these are the only two i can find that i like, where you get my full face.
Spoiler:
ImageImageImageImageImage

Return to “General”