You gotta get into Dwarf Fortress if you haven't already.

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Phen

Re: You gotta get into Dwarf Fortress if you haven't already.

Postby Phen » Tue Jun 09, 2009 12:49 am UTC

Mo0man wrote:
Phen wrote: Until the fateful day he catches the lucky bolt, I guess. Right now I'm just trying to maximize his kill count. It's at 80, but the problem is that half the squad manages to run away while he's killing the ones already knocked down.

Try using cage traps to catch them all. After you do that, dig a pit with a door on one end, put your supersoldier inside and drop it. Set the level above as a dump, and dump them all inside the pit. For extra unfairness, steal all their items first. You can set it up as a gladiatorial arena, with spectators and everything. Make sure you remove all their bows first, otherwise your spectators might get shot

Yeah, well. I've made an arena before, it was not all that great. And I have no interest in making it unfair - by all means, if they have a chance at taking him down - or even hurting him! - I won't deny them that. Problem is that cage traps are boring and I've had too many bad experiences with haulers letting the gobbos out on the way.

EDIT: Fuck yes, finally a useful artifact. Training all the non-legendary, non military dwarves just a tiny bit in weaponsmith actually worked. A pump operator made me an artifact adamantine short sword, complete with dwarven recursion in the form of a picture of ITSELF on it and a picture of a spirit of fire. If there were ever a weapon for my Captain...!

I'm also considering killing off woodworker that has laid in bed since he got to the fort. On the other hand, I think it's kinda cool to make him survive, since he was one of the original seven. Incapacitated almost immediately, though... And I don't even remember how it happened.
I'm a wizard. We know these things.

In war, one should seek to take and hold the high ground. From there, the enemy's movements are clearly visible, and he will struggle just to reach you, let alone fight you. High orbit is the highest ground there is.

Thadlerian

Postby Thadlerian » Fri Jun 12, 2009 12:04 pm UTC

Rakysh wrote:
Spoiler:
Thadlerian wrote:Ah, finally! I can't believe how long time it takes to kill a fortress! Seriously, if you don't actively move to hurt your dwarves. Twice a maxed-out population went through the tantrum spiral and rebuilt. Only when I stopped food production and imports, things started ticking towards the end. Lack of food managed what sieges, water, magma and lunacy could not. And even then, it took a year until the last dwarf was gone. No wonder they say losing is fun; it's so difficult you feel you've won when you finally achieve it. Losing without intention is nearly impossible unless you're very unlucky or experimentally minded.

Anyway, now that that stupid aquarium is gone, time has come for my new super-project: The Great Brewery, as described in the wiki, under "Challenges".

This will be the one brewery to rule them all. I will aim to produce all kinds of booze (except Gutter Cruor and Sunshine), and export it large-scale. After a few years of running, the only acceptable payment will be gems, which will be hoarded in a huge... um, hoard somewhere safe.

The brewery itself will be constructed around a large vertical shaft in the ground. The top layer is for the four great brewable crops (pig tail, sweet pods, cave wheat, plump helmet), with other crops in greenhouses farther away. Layer below is exclusive storage for these plants respectively. Below that will be row upon row of stills, probably a hundred or so. And then there will be three or four levels of huge storages.

In the opposite direction, a magnificent tower will be erected. Some five-six z-levels up will be the trade depot (which will be connected to the undergroud storages by four narrow, free-standing staircase towers (symmetry is an issue here). The wagon-accessible route from the depot will be down a double spiralling ramp running down the shaft to its bottom, where it splits into guarded north- and southbound tunnels that surface far from the structure itself.

The important workers (brewers and planters) will have individual luxurious apartments somewhere, and there will be decent rooms for haulers and suchlike, as well as the for the security crew.

Let's see how this turns out. First challenge has presented itself already: Dark Gnomes stealing my booze. They must be punished severely.

This is decidedly awesome, but why no sunshine? It's the best. It's currently funding my upstairs fortress.

Third attempt, and we're pretty much up and running, sunshine included. A huge brewery complex along a shaft leading down to my trade depot. To enter the shaft, caravans will have to cross a majestic bridge crossing the valley. The mountain has an underground pool (tower caps!), a magma pipe, and tons of copper, zinc and gold for barrelmaking. There is flux, but unfortunately no iron, which means I have to import it or extract it from goblins. Needless to say, my steel production is very low, and I have steel armor for only two soldiers. I have repelled two sieges by a rather narrow margin - one squad of marksdwarves really does the trick until I can build a stable squad of hammer champs. Nobles have arrived, atom-smashers are working non-stop to rid me of stone, and the fortress has become huge and sprawling, with traffic everywhere. Wine, Ale and Sunshine production is on. Awesome.

Now I have got a dragon. That's usually awesome as well, but not now. I can't see my little marksdwarf squad repelling it, so I have decided to wall up the whole damn thing and wait for the Human caravan to arrive, so that its guards may come to aid.

EDIT: Never mind. The dragon arrived with it's right hind leg missing, and is currently unconscious. This might take a while.

EDIT 2: Also, I love this message: "Urist McMarksdwarf cancels Shooting at Archery Range: Too insane." The problem isn't that he's insane when shooting at the range. It's that he's too insane.

detinith

Postby detinith » Fri Jun 12, 2009 11:17 pm UTC

I've always wanted to re-create Blackrock Mountain as seen in WoW (the hollow where all the world PVP used to be) as it has three very winning points: it's huge, it's filled with lava and carved-out gargoyles spewing said lava, and it was dug out by dwarves. Sure, they were commanded to do so by a sentient pool of even more lava, but that's just icing on the lava.

I haven't started, still needing to master the Dwarven Perpetual Motion Device so I can pump unlimited amounts of lava from the giant pool in the center up to the gargoyle heads. Then I'll need to find a way to decentralize everything so as to make it seem even bigger with my own dwarven population.

Thadlerian

Postby Thadlerian » Sat Jun 13, 2009 11:26 pm UTC

Awesomeness is getting out of hand with my super-brewery fortress. Why is it that that one time when I'm doing a serious, goal-oriented fortress, all the exiting things that I hope for to happen when I'm just goofing around, happens?

First, goblin sieges. They came early (they usually wait for ages), they escalated quickly (usually years between), and they started including local leaders, elites, and general legendary guys (usually just a bunch of wimps).

The third or fourth siege put a stop to the functionality of the brewery. A massive bloodbath, the following tantrum spiral, but I had survived on one hammer and one archer squad, plus a woodcutter who had warded off several early sieges. Things stabilized. Then another dragon paid a visit. It had all limbs, and made its way through my fortress, with long detours up and down to destroy doors and beds with glee. I mass-drafted the remaining population, and they managed to hold the thing off while being slowly eaten.

One dwarf suddenly goes into fey mood. The shortest way between to locations is a straight line, so he decides to walk over the struggling mass of dragon and wrestlers to reach his workshop. The dragon kindly turns its head from the fray, playfully snorting a bout of fire at the fey dwarf. Said booze-guzzler catches fire, finds nothing problematic about that, and goes on his jolly way, trailing a sorry cloud of smoke. Only when his incalescence reaches a critical degree, he is forced to interrupt the mood, going berserk (like so many of his brethren). Fortunately, he burns up before he can do any damage.

The dragon is killed by my wrestlers, but other foes stand ready. A new host of elite goblins; somehow, a lone guard with steel stuff and skills, coupled with a trap-riddled entranceway, repels the siege, but now everyone who's not a child or noble is either crazy, badly injured, or both. Oh well. We're stocked up on booze and meat, let's see how long we can last.

My population of children and dogs gets culled over time by repeated kobold ambushes. You've got to admit the nerve. One of the little blighters picks a fight with a donkey like 5x his size, and instantly gets kicked to death. The rest get butchered by my lone guard.

Time passes along for a while. The next siege will surely take out the remaining pink parasites. And there we see it: A vile force of darkness have arrived! I scan the border to find out what kind of elite soldiers we're dealing with this time over, but there's no-one there! I am thoroughly puzzled. For a while, I wonder if the gobbos have run out of units. I wonder for a while, until I'm suddenly ambushed in the middle of the fortress. By elves. Chalk up another thing that has never happened to me over 1 year of playing Dwarf Fortress. And this is after playing a chasm fortress where I splattered and chasm-ejected elven caravans on a yearly basis, without them ever complaining.

Looks like I shouldn't have let the gobbos kill their diplomat. Especially not after him giving me a hiding for dishonouring the trees. They (the elves, not the trees) are quite puny, though. Good at killing puppies, but my lone guard effortlessly creams them,

A new hammerer and philosopher arrive, as a replacement for the previous, who are in a rather non-functional state (dead). They are the only ones who have travelled here. No doubt, they have had a lot of interesting discussions on the journey.

Let's see... are there any other civilized races left that can be fought? Yeah, that's right. I am now sieged by humans. They've arrived, one dude on a horse, and a bunch of cronies. They have put fire to my outside (technically: a campfire), and are generally trampling the grass and making a nuisance of themselves. Now they're charging. They know where I've got the traps. Oh well.

EDIT: The game crashed. D-U-H.
Awesomeness levels were getting too high for my processor, I assume.

Xaddak

Postby Xaddak » Sun Jun 14, 2009 1:55 am UTC

Holy cripes! That is indeed awesome! I salute you, sir!
Are you on this forum? Do you play EVE? Then join the xkcd channel! In your chat window, click on the speech bubble in the upper right corner. In the window that opens, type in xkcd and hit join.

-X

Zopiac

Postby Zopiac » Sun Jun 21, 2009 9:15 pm UTC

I've been playing for four days now. Of those four days, about 60 hours have been spent on DF xD I am way too addicted.

"Zopiac cancels [task]: Interrupted by Dwarf Fortress"

Already made an upwards of 8 fortresses, two of them quite successful. Also, thermonuclear catsplosions are fun*!

I haven't, however, met any real combat challenges; no seige has taken place as of yet. The biggest I have had problem is accidentally misplacing a floodgate when making a cave-farm and drowning all but one of my dwarves, who enters a strange mood and can't find resources and goes insane :(

I am just waiting for the Army Arc to come out; that will be fun* :D

*Losing is Fun!

Thendash

Postby Thendash » Sun Jun 21, 2009 9:25 pm UTC

When embarking, make sure that you have access to enemy civs(press tab a few times). Since if you don't then there won't be any sieges. You could also try out the orc mod on the bay12 forums if you want even more of a challenge, since they avoid traps and are really tough to kill.

SummerGlauFan

Postby SummerGlauFan » Tue Jun 23, 2009 12:33 am UTC

I just started getting into this game. Needless to say, up until now, I was mostly just getting used to stuff and expirementing.

I have an idea for a defense of my fort. I was thinking of making a "false entrance," lined filled with traps, of course, and culminating in a few war dogs. The idea is that this entrance would be connected to my fortress proper via a shaft, leading up a couple of Z levels, while my actual entrance is protected by a moat and draw bridge. I had heard that sieges would head toward the closest, non-blocked member of your fort (including animals), though even if this is not the case, I hope the shaft leading up into my fort would be enough of a lure.

My question is, which would be better. A) Simply tethering some War Dogs at the end of this false entrance, or B) digging a pit at the end and dropping a few war dogs into it. My real concern is whether or not Goblins and other siege-happy baddies would be dumb enough to fall into a pit full of growling war dogs.
glasnt wrote:"As she raised her rifle against the creature, her hair fluttered beneath the red florescent lighting of the locked down building.

I knew from that moment that she was something special"

Outbreak, a tale of love and zombies.

In stores now.

Vaniver

Postby Vaniver » Tue Jun 23, 2009 1:49 am UTC

SummerGlauFan wrote:My question is, which would be better. A) Simply tethering some War Dogs at the end of this false entrance, or B) digging a pit at the end and dropping a few war dogs into it. My real concern is whether or not Goblins and other siege-happy baddies would be dumb enough to fall into a pit full of growling war dogs.
A pit might cause a number of problems- are you talking about a bridge over a room with war dogs in it, and you release the bridge when a bunch of them are on it? Or how are you going to get them to fall in?

One of the things to do, when using dogs to ambush people, is make sure the dogs can't be hit by ranged fire. A way that works fairly well is by having a U and then a door, so when the door opens you only see a square or two, instead of down the whole hallway.
I mostly post over at LessWrong now.

Avatar from My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, owned by Hasbro.

rat4000
r/ratsgonewild

Postby rat4000 » Tue Jun 23, 2009 11:44 am UTC

I don't know if I should ask here or in the Help Desk, but I'm starting here.

Has any of you been able to get the game to run on 64bit fedora 10? On any 64bit linux distribution? Both wine and the native linux version simply log me out.

SummerGlauFan

Postby SummerGlauFan » Tue Jun 23, 2009 2:41 pm UTC

Vaniver wrote:
SummerGlauFan wrote:My question is, which would be better. A) Simply tethering some War Dogs at the end of this false entrance, or B) digging a pit at the end and dropping a few war dogs into it. My real concern is whether or not Goblins and other siege-happy baddies would be dumb enough to fall into a pit full of growling war dogs.
A pit might cause a number of problems- are you talking about a bridge over a room with war dogs in it, and you release the bridge when a bunch of them are on it? Or how are you going to get them to fall in?

One of the things to do, when using dogs to ambush people, is make sure the dogs can't be hit by ranged fire. A way that works fairly well is by having a U and then a door, so when the door opens you only see a square or two, instead of down the whole hallway.

Ok, thanks for the tip. I didn't think Goblins would be dumb enough to fall into a pit on their own.

Yeah, I was thinking about a U-bend at the end, not to mention snaking the passage around several times, to make space for more trap-laying goodness.

EDIT: I was just goofing off, learning a few things, when I experienced the hard, hard lessons about undead wildlife. Here I was, putting around a haunted coast, when I saw a skeletal whale swimming around. My first thought was "How does that thing swim?" My second thought, as it hauled it's underfed frame out of the haunted depths and onto dry land, was "Oh, &$%@, I'm in trouble." I lost all my dwarves in about 5 minutes.
glasnt wrote:"As she raised her rifle against the creature, her hair fluttered beneath the red florescent lighting of the locked down building.

In stores now.

icanus

Postby icanus » Wed Jun 24, 2009 1:32 am UTC

Damnit.

I just got my first obsidian farm up and running and I was just about to start work on my Huge Obsidian Obelisk/Cat-Throwing Platform...

Then the bloody tax collector showed up (along with a baroness, consort, hammerer and about 20 refugee soap makers) and taught everyone about money. Now all my dwarves are unable to pay their credit card bills and are fighting over the 12 free beds in the barracks and getting steadily more miserable while my 120 dwarf apartment floor has a total of nine residents. Suddenly skilled craftsdwarfship is out the window and I'm having to pointlessly move piles of stone around just so my haulers can afford plump helmets.

Does turning the economy off in the init file work after the fact, or do I have to start a new fortress to get back to good old communism?

I hope it does, as I really don't want to abandon this one yet - It's my fifth or sixth fort (not counting the one with the aquifer where both my miners drowned and left their picks underwater- that wasn't so much a "fortress" as a "carpenter's shop in the middle of a field"), and the first one I've managed to actually make work reasonably well and not flood (completely). So far it's had:

• a tantrum spiral that took me from 50 happy, highly skilled dwarves down to 5 newly arrived fishermen and hunters who didn't have any friends yet and were outside when the massacre happened, and a couple of dwarfs I managed to lock in their rooms until they calmed down - sparked off because I "accidentally" crushed someone's pet cat while testing the surprise I was working on for the elves.
  • A narcoleptic stonemason who lost a lung in a fight with a rhesus macaque while unloading the wagon at the start, and has passed out every couple of minutes for six years since then, but has still managed to become legendary.
  • An engraver who became obsessed with one particular human thief who showed up a couple of years in and promptly stepped in a cage trap. The whole dining room is covered with pictures of the guy making plaintive gestures. The thief himself is still in a cage in my warehouse. I really should put him in the engraver's room (if I can sort the economy so the engraver has a room).
  • A botched attempt at building a cistern that flooded out my entire workshop floor and took two seasons to pump out again.
  • A goblin ambush turn up just in time to kill the only elf to survive my entry hall/waterslide as he ran for the edge of the map, then immediately leave again.

Larry

Postby Larry » Wed Jun 24, 2009 8:44 am UTC

icanus wrote:Does turning the economy off in the init file work after the fact, or do I have to start a new fortress to get back to good old communism?

I'm not sure... feel free to try it though!

If it doesn't, you can workaround the economy/homeless situation like this: Build a room full of levers, and don't connect them to anything. Set each lever to Pull The Lever/Repeat. Watch in amazement as your entire fortress grinds to a halt, but every dwarf ends up immensely rich. Turn the levers off after a while, and your dwarves should be able to afford rent for a few years.

Might I also recommend 'imprisoning' the hammerer? Lock him in his room, dig a 1-square channel above and [d]ump food in every now and then. Place a food stockpile where it lands so it doesn't rot. The number of skilled dwarves he is capable of beating to death is astounding...

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Wed Jun 24, 2009 12:37 pm UTC

Sadly, the economy can only be disabled before the Tax Collector shows up. Once he's there, you're stuck with it.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

SummerGlauFan

Postby SummerGlauFan » Wed Jun 24, 2009 6:19 pm UTC

Can bolts be fired through floor grates? The Wiki is mute about it, but I thought I could make a 1-square-wide grate ceiling in my "false entrance of doom" so that my crossbowdwarves could rain fire joyously down on their enemies while they also deal with traps.

Also, is it advisable to, um, "accidentally" kill nobles as they arrive? Before they can establish relationships and all. Especially the Hammerer and Tax Collector. I've obviously never gotten them before, but the wiki's description of many of them makes me not to want to deal with them.

In stores now.

Vaniver

Postby Vaniver » Wed Jun 24, 2009 6:48 pm UTC

SummerGlauFan wrote:Also, is it advisable to, um, "accidentally" kill nobles as they arrive? Before they can establish relationships and all. Especially the Hammerer and Tax Collector. I've obviously never gotten them before, but the wiki's description of many of them makes me not to want to deal with them.
Nobles add an additional challenge to forts that are mature. So, if you've got a nice, smoothly running fort that can repel invaders, dealing with the economy and fickle nobles and their violent servant can make the mid-late game interesting. If you've got a nice fortress going, and don't want to have your attention diverted, then cap your population at 50, turn off the economy, or murder nobles left and right.

SummerGlauFan

Postby SummerGlauFan » Wed Jun 24, 2009 7:24 pm UTC

Vaniver wrote:
SummerGlauFan wrote:Also, is it advisable to, um, "accidentally" kill nobles as they arrive? Before they can establish relationships and all. Especially the Hammerer and Tax Collector. I've obviously never gotten them before, but the wiki's description of many of them makes me not to want to deal with them.
Nobles add an additional challenge to forts that are mature. So, if you've got a nice, smoothly running fort that can repel invaders, dealing with the economy and fickle nobles and their violent servant can make the mid-late game interesting. If you've got a nice fortress going, and don't want to have your attention diverted, then cap your population at 50, turn off the economy, or murder nobles left and right.

Ah, so it's fun?

In stores now.

headprogrammingczar

Postby headprogrammingczar » Wed Jun 24, 2009 8:37 pm UTC

Oh my fucking god. Boatmurdered is the most hilarious thing I have ever read. Ever.
<quintopia> You're not crazy. you're the goddamn headprogrammingspock!
<Weeks> You're the goddamn headprogrammingspock!
<Cheese> I love you

Phen

Postby Phen » Wed Jun 24, 2009 9:27 pm UTC

Best advertizing DF ever had.
I'm a wizard. We know these things.

In war, one should seek to take and hold the high ground. From there, the enemy's movements are clearly visible, and he will struggle just to reach you, let alone fight you. High orbit is the highest ground there is.

Thendash

Postby Thendash » Wed Jun 24, 2009 9:30 pm UTC

SummerGlauFan wrote:Ah, so it's fun?

Everything in DF is potentially "fun." :P But yeah, killing nobles is acceptable but unless you have a mega project or something that they're getting in the way of then it kind makes the game boring in the later years of your fortress if you don't have nobles.

SummerGlauFan

Postby SummerGlauFan » Fri Jun 26, 2009 2:31 am UTC

First of all, Boatmurdered is freaking hilarious.

Second, can captured and tamed wild animals (like, oh say, Jaguars) give birth? Also, would their babies be tame, or at least non-hostile? I, of course, ask for no reason. It's not like I managed to capture a couple of Jaguars in cage traps and have aspirations to use them in my military.*

*Seriously, a bunch of axe-wielding men, charging into battle, with loyal jaguars at their side (or at least charging ahead into the goblin raiding party) would be freaking sweet. If only I could somehow get obsidian, I could make an Aztec-themed military!

In stores now.

Xaddak

Postby Xaddak » Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:26 pm UTC

SummerGlauFan wrote:First of all, Boatmurdered is freaking hilarious.

Second, can captured and tamed wild animals (like, oh say, Jaguars) give birth? Also, would their babies be tame, or at least non-hostile? I, of course, ask for no reason. It's not like I managed to capture a couple of Jaguars in cage traps and have aspirations to use them in my military.*

*Seriously, a bunch of axe-wielding men, charging into battle, with loyal jaguars at their side (or at least charging ahead into the goblin raiding party) would be freaking sweet. If only I could somehow get obsidian, I could make an Aztec-themed military!

You may have to mod them.

I'm certainly not speaking from experience. I never modded Giant Cave Spiders to mate and be trainable, captured a pair of them, and ended up with a bunch of War Giant Cave Spiders loyal only to me. Nope.

>.>

I'LL TELL YOU NOTHING! *runs away*
Are you on this forum? Do you play EVE? Then join the xkcd channel! In your chat window, click on the speech bubble in the upper right corner. In the window that opens, type in xkcd and hit join.

-X

Vaniver

Postby Vaniver » Fri Jun 26, 2009 6:03 pm UTC

Those mods are changes to the raws, right? Which means they have to be done before you start a fortress?

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Fri Jun 26, 2009 6:34 pm UTC

I'm pretty sure if the creature is tameable, it will reproduce. I know I've had lions, jaguars, tigers, cheetas, and cougars all reproduce in my happy home (as well as bears, deer, and all sorts of creatures I either tamed myself or bought from the elves), but I don't recall offhand if the giant varieties that I acquired would breed. I want to say that they did, because I recall thinking "A giant X Baby? That's a big baby!" or something to that effect.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Vaniver

Postby Vaniver » Fri Jun 26, 2009 7:35 pm UTC

Well, I know Xaddak had War Giant Cave Spiders going, which is fearsome to say the least. I suppose I ought to just mod the raws now and add that, rather than waiting to see if I need to do it before starting a game!

Xaddak

Postby Xaddak » Fri Jun 26, 2009 11:58 pm UTC

Vaniver wrote:Well, I know Xaddak had War Giant Cave Spiders going, which is fearsome to say the least. I suppose I ought to just mod the raws now and add that, rather than waiting to see if I need to do it before starting a game!

War Giant Cave Spiders that were breeding MORE giant cave spiders that were friendly to me, at that. I had to mod in the children though, so they would breed.

-X

Ralith The Third
Don't Ask About His Nephews

Postby Ralith The Third » Sat Jun 27, 2009 2:31 am UTC

Alright, I'm a noob and nothing I have seen is helping me, significantly. How do I play?

Also, is the FPS thing a joke, or do I have the wrong version, or what?
Omni.

Xaddak

Postby Xaddak » Sat Jun 27, 2009 2:55 am UTC

http://www.dwarffortresswiki.net/index. ... e_tutorial

What do you mean, "is the FPS thing a joke?" Too low? Do you realize just HOW MUCH the game is keeping track of?

-X

SummerGlauFan

Postby SummerGlauFan » Sat Jun 27, 2009 3:12 am UTC

Xaddak wrote:
Vaniver wrote:Well, I know Xaddak had War Giant Cave Spiders going, which is fearsome to say the least. I suppose I ought to just mod the raws now and add that, rather than waiting to see if I need to do it before starting a game!

War Giant Cave Spiders that were breeding MORE giant cave spiders that were friendly to me, at that. I had to mod in the children though, so they would breed.

Yeah, I know that some creatures don't breed in game. My question was more along the lines of, if a creature normally breeds, will it breed if tamed, and more importantly, will it's kiddos be friendly and not try to eat my dwarves. I have since read that they should breed (the wiki strongly suggests this), but I have yet to get confirmation about safe offspring.

In stores now.

Soralin

Postby Soralin » Sat Jun 27, 2009 8:21 am UTC

Ralith The Third wrote:Alright, I'm a noob and nothing I have seen is helping me, significantly. How do I play?

I just read through some of the first fortress page at http://dwarf.lendemaindeveille.com/inde ... t_fortress There are other tutorials and such around.

Also, is the FPS thing a joke, or do I have the wrong version, or what?

If you're just starting out and you have really low FPS, you could try this version http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/df_28 ... 11_win.zip Some people have problems with the way the graphics were originally output. The 40d# versions are implementing a different way of displaying it which is much faster if you're having problems (or at least not any slower if you're not), that should become fully integrated with the next major version release. Although things can get slow in any case when a fortress gets large

annals

Postby annals » Sat Jun 27, 2009 9:08 am UTC

SummerGlauFan wrote:Yeah, I know that some creatures don't breed in game. My question was more along the lines of, if a creature normally breeds, will it breed if tamed, and more importantly, will it's kiddos be friendly and not try to eat my dwarves. I have since read that they should breed (the wiki strongly suggests this), but I have yet to get confirmation about safe offspring.

The offspring of tamed animals will be tame. You will have to mod the raws in order to train them into war animals, but as long as you're not adding a whole new entry (like zebras or something) you won't have to restart your fortress for the changes to work.

Vaniver

Postby Vaniver » Sat Jun 27, 2009 4:19 pm UTC

So, I'm starting a fortress that'll allow me to be lazy in a number of ways. First, I'm starting off with 20 dwarves, which means the first year will go a lot faster (in terms of accomplishments, not real time), and second I've added Giant Dwarf Spiders which are identical to Giant Cave Spiders, but are trainable and breed, and are a common domestic animal so you can embark with them. Not nearly as impressive as capturing, taming, and training them normally- but eh. Lazy fortress, remember? :P

Rakysh

Postby Rakysh » Sat Jun 27, 2009 4:34 pm UTC

Nice. What's your starting build gonna be with 20 dwarves?

Ralith The Third

Postby Ralith The Third » Sat Jun 27, 2009 4:47 pm UTC

Gyuh. Alright, after my first fortress failed due to a lack of water, I have a second one, right next to a river. However, I have a problem.
After digging down one level, I have a small problem. My dwarf will dig out a 2x2 room with a wall around it, but he will not go farther, period. I can't even fit all my dwarves in it :P
Omni.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Sat Jun 27, 2009 4:51 pm UTC

Ralith The Third wrote:Gyuh. Alright, after my first fortress failed due to a lack of water, I have a second one, right next to a river. However, I have a problem.
After digging down one level, I have a small problem. My dwarf will dig out a 2x2 room with a wall around it, but he will not go farther, period. I can't even fit all my dwarves in it :P
Remember that unless you build a well, your dwarves will still have problems getting to the water. And even then, alcohol is better, but that's getting a bit farther ahead. Mostly because if you didn't bring everything you need, to make a well you'll need a silk or cloth industry to make the rope, or a metalworking industry to make a chain. The masonry industry for the blocks and a carpentry/woodcutting industry to make the bucket are easy when compared to those.

So.. you're designating down stairs on the surface, going down a level then designating up stairs (or up/down stairs) right under the down stair designation, then just selecting an area to be mined out as room that connects to the staircase, right? Remember that you do have to designate all individual squares to be mined out, and that dwarves will not mine of their own free will. It's a safety feature.

Ralith The Third

Postby Ralith The Third » Sat Jun 27, 2009 4:57 pm UTC

Yeah, but my miner finished the stairs then just stopped. I have tried both mine and channel, yet he just sits around idle.
Omni.

Vaniver

Postby Vaniver » Sat Jun 27, 2009 6:30 pm UTC

He probably can't reach the place in question. This is one of the reason why it's easier to start off on a hill- your miner can just burrow straight in through the hillside, and not have to worry about stairs.

Is there a down stair directly underneath the up stair? All staircases have at least two parts.

[edit]
Rakysh wrote:Nice. What's your starting build gonna be with 20 dwarves?
3 Miners, 1 Miner/Mason, 1 Woodcutter/Carpenter, 1 Animal Trainer/Caretaker, 1 Armorsmith/Metalsmith, 1 Furnace Operator, 1 Gem Cutter/Setter, 1 Weaver, 1 Clothier, 3 Glassmakers, 1 Cook, 1 Planter, 1 Brewer, 1 Architect/Trader, 2 Marksdwarves.

I'm on a map with HFS, magma, an underground river, sand, and a couple of other things. There are two nice ovals of magnetite near each other, and one of them is shot through with a vein of platinum- perfect for a dining room and bedroom (I think I'll park my nobles right above the HFS, when I get them).

Ralith The Third

Postby Ralith The Third » Sat Jun 27, 2009 7:06 pm UTC

He was already down there though. And there's not a down stair beneath the up stair, but there IS a down stair ABOVE the up stair.
Omni.

Vaniver

Postby Vaniver » Sat Jun 27, 2009 7:23 pm UTC

Oops, right. So, you've designated the rest of the room to be mined, and he's not doing it? He might be on a break. Hit "u" and look for your miner's name, or hit "v" and move over your miner, then hit "g". What does it say in blue?

Also, doh, I don't have a mechanic. The spiders should make that not a horrible problem, but that's still a pretty big mistake.

SummerGlauFan

Postby SummerGlauFan » Sat Jun 27, 2009 7:33 pm UTC

Vaniver wrote:Also, doh, I don't have a mechanic. The spiders should make that not a horrible problem, but that's still a pretty big mistake.

Well, you COULD make one of your 3 glassmakers a mechanic, but your epic spider army of doom should make them unnecessary ;)

The cool thing about Jaguars is, when tame, they act almost exactly like War Dogs. I guess it's because they are aggressive as predators. So, I don't even have to mod anything.

I just can't assign them to hunters, because I want to assign hunting dogs to them. I am going to start out assigning the two of them to miners, partly to keep the two original parents safe (so I can have babies), and partly to protect my miners in the event they stumble onto an underground feature housing creatures.

In stores now.

Return to “Gaming”