Minecraft

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Prelates, Moderators General

Minecraft

Postby GuitarFreak » Tue Jul 07, 2009 7:33 pm UTC

Anyone ever play it? It's a pretty fun game. http://www.minecraft.net

Make an account and join up on my server: http://www.minecraft.net/play.jsp?serve ... 456c018e7c Let me know if you can't connect.

Talon-Edit! Active Server List to Follow

Spoiler:
216.135.68.230:25569 - running the map Rippy was running, run by Secondtalon. Map can be found here.
PM blalobw, Rooosevelt, Mr. Monkey or Steax for access. You can PM Second Talon, but.. he's probably going to ignore it. For realz. I know the dude. He's a dick. - SecondTalon.

216.135.68.230:28568 - Britannia from Ultima Online. No, Really. Come and build a smith or something where appropriate, and eventually this'll get turned into a giant Adventure Map. Administered by SecondTalon. Who will, at the moment, pretty much op Anyone. Because why not? No whitelist, which may be a mistake. Also, Creative/Survival buttons currently located at the Castle Britannia Gatehouse. There is also no reason to go out beyond 5540, 4400 or -200, -200 Anywhere within that square is fine. Outside of that... I'll probably end up deleting it at some point.

miasacraft.cbouton.com - _infinia_'s ftb server. PM him, headprogrammingczar, or get on #MIASACraft channel on irc.esper.net for Whitelist addifying
Uses FTB Private Pack "MIASACraft" - modlist can be found at /r/MIASACraft
Map is at http://map.miasacraft.cbouton.com
Cooler than a bose-einstein condensate
Bakemaster wrote:I went to high school with a girl whose middle name was Nguyen and whose last name was Huynh. It was a win-win situation.
GuitarFreak

Re: Minecraft

Postby InfamousAnarchist » Thu Jul 09, 2009 7:59 pm UTC

kayseed.PNG
kayseed.PNG (125.71 KiB) Viewed 55947 times

I do now, thank you very much.
sever every leg
amanda palmer please come home please
InfamousAnarchist

Postby Ran4 » Fri Jul 10, 2009 3:12 am UTC

This game really is awesome. I spent three hours on it yesterday...

I went to your server, but I didn't find anyone there. I made some cool underwater housings, with lots of pipes with stairways (everything without understanding that the sponge block existed... Didn't learn that until I had a few floodings. Water is a bitch when underwater. But it's sad that there's no pressure, so you can't raise the water level).

Sadly, when I logged in a few hours later, the map was completely changed. How does the server system work? I created a new map (a large one) when in on your server, but I guess I was logged out when I did so? How do I know that I am connected to a certain server?
Ran4

Postby Babam » Fri Jul 10, 2009 11:23 pm UTC

I'm currently on the server, I think... any ways we should get some more people on and build something cool.
Spoiler:
crucialityfactor wrote:I KNEW he could club bitches!

SecondTalon wrote:Reality - More fucked up than Photoshop.

s/notwittysig/wittysig
Babam
the Nearly Deleted

Postby MisterCheif » Fri Jul 10, 2009 11:36 pm UTC

I am on the server, and I saved a level. It is "Mistercheif's XKCD Level." Join if you want.

I am building a stairway into the sky for no apparent reason...
Last edited by MisterCheif on Fri Jul 10, 2009 11:48 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
I can haz people?
lulzfish wrote:Exactly. Playing God is a good, old-fashioned American tradition. And you wouldn't want to ruin tradition. Unless you hate America. And that would make you a Communist.
MisterCheif

Postby Babam » Fri Jul 10, 2009 11:43 pm UTC

MisterCheif wrote:I am on the server, and I saved a level. It is "Mistercheif's XKCD Level." Join if you want.

I connected using the link in the first post, I don't see your level in the load level menu.
Spoiler:

s/notwittysig/wittysig
Babam
the Nearly Deleted

Postby MisterCheif » Fri Jul 10, 2009 11:50 pm UTC

Babamthegrunt wrote:
MisterCheif wrote:I am on the server, and I saved a level. It is "Mistercheif's XKCD Level." Join if you want.

I connected using the link in the first post, I don't see your level in the load level menu.

I used that link...

I wonder whether this is in multiplayer, because the tab and T options (list players and chat) aren't appearing...
I can haz people?
lulzfish wrote:Exactly. Playing God is a good, old-fashioned American tradition. And you wouldn't want to ruin tradition. Unless you hate America. And that would make you a Communist.
MisterCheif

Postby Amalith » Sat Jul 11, 2009 12:55 am UTC

Ah, minecraft. I've been playing it since it was first posted in these forums in the infiniminer thread. Gotta say, the game has come a long way (and is much better than infiniminer). The recent(ish) addtion of the sponge has made underwater forts so much easier. Not quite worth paying for yet though, even with the half off.
Amalith

Postby InsanePyros » Sat Jul 11, 2009 2:39 am UTC

Dawww, the server went down. We aught to put the server back up or get a new one running and plan a group build.
InsanePyros

Postby Ran4 » Sat Jul 11, 2009 4:39 pm UTC

Amalith wrote:Ah, minecraft. I've been playing it since it was first posted in these forums in the infiniminer thread. Gotta say, the game has come a long way (and is much better than infiniminer). The recent(ish) addtion of the sponge has made underwater forts so much easier. Not quite worth paying for yet though, even with the half off.

Well, there'll probably be a full game, and that full game will most probably be really good. Paying ten bucks now is probably the right thing to do.

By the way, the server in the thread starters post isn't working (never has been?). You can't save in multiplayer (and you can't chat in single player), so it's quite easy to see if you are in the right server.

I played some on "custom maps server 256*256*256", and that one really rocks. 256 height is HUGE. That size does require a really good server thought (checking lag is easy when using the sponge: on laggy server, the water takes > 2 seconds to disappear. In non-laggy server, it's gone in less than half a second).
Sadly, some griefers banned me :cry: (4 persons to ban on that server and 15 people in the server means that all you need to say is "X is a griefer!" and do a voteban X in chat, and there's a huge chance that you'll find 3 other people that will do the same thing).
Ran4

Postby Coin » Sun Jul 12, 2009 2:03 am UTC

I've been playing quite a lot today and have come to the conclusion that there is an abundance of griefers.
In the end I managed to find a server with some proper moderation and managed to build a sailing ship, a medieval castle and the obligatory underground lair.
3fj wrote: "You, sir, have been added to my list of deities under 'God of Swedish meat'."
Coin

Postby Ralith The Third » Sun Jul 12, 2009 12:41 pm UTC

Someone stole your name and deleted two of my great works, and I might have run you or him off of another server- sorry if it was you.
Omni.
Ralith The Third
Don't Ask About His Nephews

Postby Coin » Sun Jul 12, 2009 6:34 pm UTC

What? Someone has been impersonating me?
Insidious!
Well as long as the guy gets IP-banned things should be ok.
3fj wrote: "You, sir, have been added to my list of deities under 'God of Swedish meat'."
Coin

Postby TaintedDeity » Sun Jul 12, 2009 6:37 pm UTC

This game is bloody good fun.
Ⓞⓞ◯
TaintedDeity

Postby Awia » Sun Jul 12, 2009 7:10 pm UTC

My graphics card overheated and broke while I was playing this...
Francis wrote:Look on the bright side, if you all die I'll still be handsome
Awia

Postby TaintedDeity » Sun Jul 12, 2009 7:19 pm UTC

Wow, fuck. :D
I did have to change the amount rendered to low because before that it wouldn't let me move.
It gets rather foggy but, I'm telling you, wandering around a foggy, randomly generated alndscape and seeing a motherfucking island rise out of the mist damn near stopped me dead.
Cool stuff :D
Ⓞⓞ◯
TaintedDeity

Postby Babam » Sun Jul 12, 2009 7:27 pm UTC

Have you guys managed to sort out the server issues? This game sounds awesome in multiplayer.
Spoiler:

s/notwittysig/wittysig
Babam
the Nearly Deleted

Postby TaintedDeity » Sun Jul 12, 2009 7:33 pm UTC

I just click the multiplayer button and a long list of servers pops up; unless you're talking about hosting your own server in which case I'm going to run away.
Ⓞⓞ◯
TaintedDeity

Postby Notch » Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:37 pm UTC

Hey, cool, Minecraft. :D

/me is the dev.
Notch

Postby Coin » Mon Jul 20, 2009 10:26 pm UTC

Notch wrote:Hey, cool, Minecraft. :D

/me is the dev.

I salute you sir.
My predictions for the future are: Sunny and with some excellent gameplay.

Bra jobbat!
Coin

Postby Notch » Tue Jul 21, 2009 9:08 am UTC

Why, thank you.

It's certainly been an interesting journey so far, and I'm looking forward to the rest of it. I've split up the code into some kind of generic GameMode system, where survival mode is its own subclass. And I realized the game needs shields. :D
Notch

Postby TaintedDeity » Tue Jul 21, 2009 11:36 am UTC

It'll need weapons before it needs shields :wink: Unless you've got those already?
Ⓞⓞ◯
TaintedDeity

Postby headprogrammingczar » Tue Jul 21, 2009 12:03 pm UTC

It would be neat if you could make a different version of survivor mode that takes place in a much more complex world (similar in complexity to Dwarf Fortress) and see how much wealth the players can accumulate before they all die. Finite water would also be nice.
<quintopia> You're not crazy. you're the goddamn headprogrammingspock!
<Weeks> You're the goddamn headprogrammingspock!
<Cheese> I love you
headprogrammingczar

Postby Notch » Tue Jul 21, 2009 1:17 pm UTC

Yeah, emergent complexity would be very cool. And I absolutely want survival mode to be difficult to "win". Mining into a den of lava zombies and getting eaten is probably fun as long as it's fair. :-D

Also:
TaintedDeity wrote:It'll need weapons before it needs shields :wink: Unless you've got those already?

Not quite. Shields weren't even planned, though. :D
Notch

Postby Vieto » Tue Jul 21, 2009 6:25 pm UTC

give the shields a sharp point at the end, and they become weapons as well :D

Also, if you give the mob punching capacity, or weapons, we can wage wars!
a.k.a. Cazador
Vieto

Postby Internetmeme » Tue Jul 21, 2009 10:48 pm UTC

Also, a simple physics engine where if a block of rock is hit with enough force that it falls down. That would be great for castles/forts.
You are now breathing manually.
Also, you just lost a certain Game...

Spoiler:
Internetmeme

Postby Vieto » Tue Jul 21, 2009 11:17 pm UTC

heh, add catapults and we can play 'defend your castle'.

Also, whats with the levels with the undigable walls?
a.k.a. Cazador
Vieto

Postby Smiling Hobo » Tue Jul 21, 2009 11:20 pm UTC

Just got hooked on this...it's fun building things, but it pisses me off when I'm building a tunnel and accidentally dig into water and flood the whole thing. :-/

*Nibbles on kitten*
Eat a kitten, save a cow!
Smiling Hobo

Postby TaintedDeity » Tue Jul 21, 2009 11:22 pm UTC

Vieto wrote:heh, add catapults and we can play 'defend your castle'.

Also, whats with the levels with the undigable walls?

The undigable walls are placed by admins of the server.
They, er, don;t want you digging those walls.
Ⓞⓞ◯
TaintedDeity

Postby headprogrammingczar » Tue Jul 21, 2009 11:26 pm UTC

They are usually to keep people from flooding structures built underground, although some admins will grief by placing the server start square inside an unbreakable box.
<Cheese> I love you
headprogrammingczar

Postby TaintedDeity » Tue Jul 21, 2009 11:38 pm UTC

As far as I know that means people with OP can screen people before letting them out to minimise griefing.
Ⓞⓞ◯
TaintedDeity

Postby guyy » Tue Jul 21, 2009 11:51 pm UTC

This. Game. Is. Awesome.

It's kinda like Infiniminer, except the levels are more realistic and epically hugely ridiculously gigantic, it looks better in general, there's no annoying beepy noises, it runs in a browser so no installing needed...uh...yeah. :P

For those who haven't tried it yet, let me give you an idea just how big and complex these levels can get. Here's a screen from one of the more popular servers:

Spoiler:
minecollossal.jpg
minecollossal.jpg (160.85 KiB) Viewed 55410 times

For reference, the little tiny purple dot near the bottom (with a red arrow pointing at it) is the size of a player. Also, this shot only shows about 1/4th of the map, since the other side is mostly hidden by masses of stuff on this side, and the remaining half is underground. And this is one map, on one server out of hundreds. Is your mind boggled yet?

Some suggestions for the developer, if he comes back:

- It might help to have a do-nothing mode as well as add/delete block modes, which you could toggle with some keyboard key; it's a little too easy to delete a block by mistake and flood your base (or worse, someone else's).

- It'd be nice to have an 'elevator block' of some sort that carries players up when they stand on it, then moves back down when they get off. People usually just build vertical towers to get up onto things, which are hard to get rid of, take up space, and only work once.

- Some way of changing which face of a block to attach a new one to, so you could stick something on the opposite face without seeing it, would help a lot with bridge-building, which right now involves working very slowly and falling off hundreds of times. Maybe an 'X-ray' mode where you see through the target block to its unseen faces?
guyy

Postby TaintedDeity » Wed Jul 22, 2009 12:00 am UTC

Something to make bridge building easy would be greatly appreciated :D
I remember finding a server that was built entirely like a fantasy world.
There were 2 castles, lakes, rives, beaches, wizard towers, dungeons, magic caverns etc
It was amazing.
I find myself quite often just exploring the things people have made.
If I create or delete any bricks to get around I always delete or rebuild them when I'm done. I'm nice like that :D
Ⓞⓞ◯
TaintedDeity

Postby Notch » Wed Jul 22, 2009 8:58 am UTC

guyy wrote:This. Game. Is. Awesome.

I love you!

guyy wrote:Some suggestions for the developer, if he comes back:

- It might help to have a do-nothing mode as well as add/delete block modes, which you could toggle with some keyboard key; it's a little too easy to delete a block by mistake and flood your base (or worse, someone else's).

- It'd be nice to have an 'elevator block' of some sort that carries players up when they stand on it, then moves back down when they get off. People usually just build vertical towers to get up onto things, which are hard to get rid of, take up space, and only work once.

- Some way of changing which face of a block to attach a new one to, so you could stick something on the opposite face without seeing it, would help a lot with bridge-building, which right now involves working very slowly and falling off hundreds of times. Maybe an 'X-ray' mode where you see through the target block to its unseen faces?

I read the forums pretty much daily. :D

I agree with your first and last suggestion. The second one is much more complex, but if I do something like that, I'd want to do it in a general way so you can make other types of "vehicles", like mine carts, elevators, doors, drawbridges and so.
Notch

Postby headprogrammingczar » Wed Jul 22, 2009 12:08 pm UTC

Well, if you go the way of making a block that makes vertical travel easier, make it a ladder block so others don't have to wait for the elevator to come back down.
<Cheese> I love you
headprogrammingczar

Postby Texas_Ben » Wed Jul 22, 2009 5:45 pm UTC

headprogrammingczar wrote:Well, if you go the way of making a block that makes vertical travel easier, make it a ladder block so others don't have to wait for the elevator to come back down.

Seriously. I started playing and was like HELL YEAH BETTER INFINIMINER, but then it was all OH NOES WHERE IS MAH LADDER BLOCKS AND JUMP BLOCKS.

Making staircases to everything gets tedious
Texas_Ben

Postby Vieto » Wed Jul 22, 2009 6:52 pm UTC

maybe you can make 'half' blocks, or diagonal block, which you don't have to jump to get to? pushing the space bar can get tiring when you go up, then fall all the way down, then have to jump 256 more times to get back to the top. Sure, the stairs will tend to be longer/flatter, but I feel it would be worth it.

Also, could you make it possible to move through hedge blocks, albeit slower than normal? It seems unrealistic that your entire body weight can be supported by a few leaves and sticks.
a.k.a. Cazador
Vieto

Postby Notch » Thu Jul 23, 2009 8:37 am UTC

Vertical travel needs to be solved, agreed. I like the idea of half blocks and/or sloped blocks.

Ladders have never ever felt right for me in any 3d game ever. Getting stuck to a vertical surface with no clear way of knowing what random move will make you plummet to your death is not my idea of fun. And climbing DOWN ladders is usually even worse.

Also, moving slowly through leaves is a great idea. =D
People who have made buildings out of leaves might get upset at me, though, hehe
Notch

Postby TaintedDeity » Thu Jul 23, 2009 8:45 am UTC

That's part of the fun :D They can rebuild them :P
Ⓞⓞ◯
TaintedDeity

Postby Yuri2356 » Thu Jul 23, 2009 6:57 pm UTC

Anyone want to put together a level 3+ Menger Sponge? I've been able to toss up a level 2 rather quickly.
Yuri2356

Next

Return to Gaming