0608: "Form"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Tenth Speed Writer

Re: "Form" discussion

Postby Tenth Speed Writer » Sat Jul 11, 2009 6:30 am UTC

Those are usually where management signs off on the forms, or some identifying stamp is placed.

If anyone really was wondering.
Civil Engineering Major, University of Alabama.
"Yessir, I reckon 'em 'ere cent'rl s'port beams'll hol' up a'right..."

Mallet über alles!

The1exile

Postby The1exile » Sat Jul 11, 2009 4:04 pm UTC

I already did this in my RE GCSE a few years back and nothing bad happened. Not even armed Jesuits.
mosc wrote:
Endless Mike wrote:The military wrote custom PS3 software and bought a bunch of them for some very specific application.

A modern warfare lan party, duh.

rigaTony

Postby rigaTony » Sat Jul 11, 2009 6:35 pm UTC

glasnt wrote:
GodShapedBullet wrote:
glasnt wrote:How can one be persecuted for writing in the 'Do not write in this space' space when there's already writing in the space?

That doesn't really make sense, glasnt.

It's not like if someone is lying on the road with a knife in their back you can't be persecuted for stabbing them.

Yeah, you don't make sense.

I'm saying that there's already writing/text in the space, so it's not like there not already stuff in there. Its like you see people jumping off a bridge but there's a 'no jumping' sign...

Hi joee :D

A) Technically it's not writing it's type. (Semantics I drown you in them)

B) This is like me saying, no one stand where I am standing. It makes perfect sense... Now in the case of "This space intentionally left blank," however since the space was not left blank it become more... "confusing."

It's really rather simple I don't see why you don't understand it -_-

littlelj

Postby littlelj » Sat Jul 11, 2009 8:19 pm UTC

Well I just loved it. I've not got 80% of the last few weeks' strips, so I was really glad to get a goodie this time.

Without revealing too many personal details, I have to send forms to clients for signature often. It simply isn't possible to dumb down the instructions enough. I've even had clients do it wrong when I've been talking them through it on the phone or when I've gone to their offices.

So this strip totally spoke to me. I immediately e-mailed it round my department, to general acclaim, and have a paper copy :!: above my desk for future reference. It's also saved in my Favorites alongside www.lmgtfy.com.
Dudes, I'm a woman.

Persona

Postby Persona » Sat Jul 11, 2009 8:38 pm UTC

Did anyone else think of Dango instead of Dengo...? As in... Dango Daikazoku? :mrgreen:

yeyui

Postby yeyui » Sat Jul 11, 2009 11:02 pm UTC

First: http://tinyurl.com/msudyj

Second:

I wanted to include some extra paper for students on a math exam one time. So I added a mostly blank page into the file so I could included it in the stapled packet without freaking the students out that they were missing part of the exam. (I might be more concerned about that then needed. I also usually list the number of pages and number of questions on the front cover.) The message was something like "This page intentionally left blank for your use.". Apparently the taboo against writing on intentionally blank pages is very strong. Not a single student made a single mark on the extra page.

dirahl

Postby dirahl » Sun Jul 12, 2009 1:48 am UTC

Personally, I've always thought this (and its variants) is the great koan of the 20th century. I never fail to pause for philosophical reflection whenever I am forced to write this in a document (it drives me nuts, but it's policy).

rath358
The bone of my bone

Postby rath358 » Sun Jul 12, 2009 1:57 am UTC

yeyui wrote:First: http://tinyurl.com/msudyj

Second:

I wanted to include some extra paper for students on a math exam one time. So I added a mostly blank page into the file so I could included it in the stapled packet without freaking the students out that they were missing part of the exam. (I might be more concerned about that then needed. I also usually list the number of pages and number of questions on the front cover.) The message was something like "This page intentionally left blank for your use.". Apparently the taboo against writing on intentionally blank pages is very strong. Not a single student made a single mark on the extra page.

next time, write "use this space for doing work, if you so desire"

Faranya

Postby Faranya » Sun Jul 12, 2009 4:32 am UTC

See, I need to put "This space is intentionally blank" on the newly cleaned overpass wall now...

Fougare

Postby Fougare » Sun Jul 12, 2009 7:51 am UTC

my experience with "leave this space blank" pages is only related to AP testing and random forms to fill, work, school, or government papers.

For the AP's I was under the impression that the "This page is left intentionally blank" was to assure the student that there was no "back-of-the-page" to the problem they were working on.

On documents, the space will usually be reserved along with signature/initial/stamp lines to be used by administration, I don't recall ever seeing a blank space like the one portrayed on the comic.

ritvax

Postby ritvax » Tue Jul 14, 2009 5:53 pm UTC

... or be like Homer Simpson and acknowledge the "do not write here" message by writing, "Okay."
I wish I was running VMS v.6.5

yeyui

Postby yeyui » Thu Jul 16, 2009 8:17 pm UTC

This reply intentionally devoid of meaning.

Technical Ben

Postby Technical Ben » Fri Aug 07, 2009 7:14 pm UTC

I swear my Bank must read XKCD. I have received Credit card bills off them for the last 8 years. For the first time ever, about a month after the comic is posted, I get a "this space is intentionally left blank" page on my bill!*

*and this has nothing to do with their new revised bill and corporate image design and everything to do with XKCD...
It's all physics and stamp collecting.
It's not a particle or a wave. It's just an exchange.

Ephemeron

Re: 0608: "Form"

Postby Ephemeron » Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:48 pm UTC

I just got an email from another forum, where the first line was "DO NOT REPLY TO THIS EMAIL!" From the fact that it was written in all-caps, you'd think something bad would happen if you did. Well guess what I did.

In the spirit of this comic, I replied to to it.

I think I'm going to do this from now on with all emails that say not to reply. Sometimes I'll even say 'I know you're listening.'

Monox D. I-Fly

Re: 0608: "Form"

Postby Monox D. I-Fly » Wed Dec 20, 2017 1:59 pm UTC

Ephemeron wrote:I just got an email from another forum, where the first line was "DO NOT REPLY TO THIS EMAIL!" From the fact that it was written in all-caps, you'd think something bad would happen if you did. Well guess what I did.

In the spirit of this comic, I replied to to it.

I think I'm going to do this from now on with all emails that say not to reply. Sometimes I'll even say 'I know you're listening.'

Isn't that because it's an automatic email, though? Though Bandai Namco forum did reply some of my emails.
Finally found one comic mentioning a Trading Card Game:
https://xkcd.com/696/

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”