MJ's Fat-assery

The Food Forum's Evil Twin. Trying to lose weight or get in shape? Tips, encouragement, status reports, and so forth go here.
Disclaimer: Unless otherwise stated, we are not health professionals. Take advice with salt.

Moderators: Mighty Jalapeno, Prelates, Moderators General

Re: MJ's Fat-assery

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:08 pm UTC

Of my kids, one is too heavy for me to bench press safely, and the other two I can arm curl without much trouble, so it doesn't help (and they'd get bored before I was done anyways). As for working out while they're awake, that never works, because all they wanna do is hit the punching bag (which means I can't) or help me with my weights (and they won't move their fingers if I have to put it back). I do martial arts with my son, though, so he helps me with my cardio, I guess!
~ It's been 70 years. You're not a neo-Nazi... you're a fucking asshole. ~
RealGrouchy wrote:Can't talk now. Fucking.
Sprocket wrote:This? This is my dick. It's delicious.
Mighty Jalapeno
What does the FOX say?

Postby psyck0 » Wed Jan 21, 2009 2:35 am UTC

psyck0

Postby Ledah » Sat Jan 24, 2009 3:40 pm UTC

No updates in some time! Wazup MJ?
Ledah

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Sat Jan 24, 2009 4:02 pm UTC

It's been 4 days. Can't say much happened!
Mighty Jalapeno
What does the FOX say?

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Wed Jan 28, 2009 6:32 pm UTC

Well, four more days... time for the depress-o-thon to begin!

I broke out the new scale, so I'd have a scale that is JUST used to weigh me. That way the kids aren't bouncing on it, kicking it, etc, and so that way it will much more accurately tell me about changes in my weight. I have it parked under my weight bench so I can weigh myself every morning before I start working out (which I FINALLY started this morning, now that my kids aren't sick.)

I want to break this scale in half.

See, the problem between scales is accuracy, and bathroom scales are not terribly accurate. HOWEVER, I will abide by it's decision, and it's probably for the best, for reasons I'll get to in a second.

*ahem*

331 lbs

As you can see, I've somehow gained 26 lbs in 3 months. My wedding ring continues to fall off and my belt is still on the 'skinniest' notch, so I don't entirely buy it, but who knows? Maybe it's accurate. And boy fucking howdy, that number is haunting me right now.

Breakfast? I had half as much. 2 servings of cereal (1.5 cups) 1 serving of milk, and my coffee with 1/2 a scoop of home-made hot chocolate in it (high in fibre, low in sugar!) and a swig of apple juice is a good way to start the day, with a giant 331 staring me in the face, you can bet that my idle snacking is over. I stared longingly at the nut tray all morning (the one I won for my cake... did I mention that anywhere? I can't remember) and the heaping pile of cashers and dark-chocolate-covered almonds, but I ignored it, finished my coffee, and came to work. I just finished my tuna-and-crackers, and thats it until after lunch. Stupid everything.

I'm also reading The Naked Warrior, which is a GREAT partner book to BFFM which I've mentioned a lot in this thread. I'm learning a lot about strength conditioning, which has always been the biggest hurdle to me exercising. Since I've got such horribly low strength-to-weight ratio, working out has always made me feel WORSE because of how little I can do. Gaining strength rapidly will do WONDERS for my self-esteem, and if I start to see results, I will "get into the race", so to speak, and start working out harder in order to beat my old record.

I know how my brain works, so don't judge me. If I try something and suck, you can BET I won't be doing it again. If I see results, you can bet I WILL, so... Naked Warrior time.

That sounds so dirty.
Mighty Jalapeno
What does the FOX say?

Postby Kirjava » Fri Jan 30, 2009 12:50 am UTC

I'm very big on the 6-meal-a-day thing that bodybuilders tend to talk about.

Previously, I was sceptical, because I thought that eating more often sounded stupid. However, I've eventually managed to get round to trying it, and it works pretty well, in terms of reducing hunger urges. From being someone who used to nail 2 cookies (big fuckers) a night, I've had one in the past 10 days.

So, I eat roughly the following (although varies day-to-day)

8am (ish): Scrambled Eggs on Toast, with a tomato or two.

11am: *Small* snack - say, an apple OR a handful of raisins OR a handful of almonds

1pm: Lunch - the big meal. I vary between a prawn stir-fry, grilled chicken breast with avocado, or some lean beef, in some form or other. Sirloin is good for this.

4pm: Larger Snack - normally, 2 slices of wholemeal bread, 4 slices of deli meat, sliced tomato, lettuce = Sandwich

7pm(ish): Dinner - smaller meal. I almost always go either tuna with pasta and tomato sauce, or baked potato with cottage cheese, lettuce and avocado

10pm: Snack. Small as you can make it - granola slice, or a bowl of cereal, or just a cereal bar. Glass of 0.1% fat milk.

At first, this diet bored the hell out of me - but it grew on me, slowly, and I now do enjoy my meals - which is important.
Also, you're allowed 1 meal a week to eat whatever the hell you like, and I always have a burger. Massive burger. With chips and mayo. Fun.

Best of luck to you! I admire all self-improvement goals, and lend my support whole-heartedly.

KJ
Aku: Who dares to summon the Master of Masters, the Deliverer of Darkness, the Shogun of Sorrow, Aku?
Jack: Aku!
Aku: Yes, it is I, Samurai Jack. How incredibly observant you are.
Kirjava

Postby urbazewski » Tue Feb 17, 2009 2:47 am UTC

Cookies. Way, way too many cookies. They're everywhere. My mother sent a tin of cookies for Valentine's Day. There have been plates of cookies at every meeting and every meal I've been to recently. I got the year off to a good start, with healthy-eating and exercise but the cookies....

I'm 5'5" and weigh 160 lbs, but you know what? It's all relative, so fat-assery pretty much sums it up.
"...there has been much throwing about of brains." Guildenstern (Hamlet II.ii)

My latest project:http://foldplay.com. Make your own photo kaleidocycle, a 3D moving paper sculpture.
urbazewski

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:08 pm UTC

Been a while since I've been here, I spose.

I am continuing to lose weight. My belt (my NEW belt, the one I got because my OLD one was too big) is now too big. On the last hole, my pants are falling off AFTER I have a meal now. This is slightly crazy. I need to buy ANOTHER new belt.

Also, and this is something that's very big and important for me... I fit into my black demin shorts. I haven't fit into them since probably before my first daughter was born, so 2.5 years or so. I periodically try them on and find they are unable to even reach my waist. At the moment, I wear them EVERY NIGHT when I get home because it continues to bolster my self-esteem. And they aren't super-tight or anything! They're snug, but they button up without me needing to use a winch, so I'm happy.

Tomorrow, me and my buddy CMD go to the Y gym near here and get a monthly pass. It only costs me 40 bucks, and it's free for him because he's on medical assistance. The Y is cool like that. He'll go if I do (he has no job, no schedule, and a rapidly increasing waistline) and I'll go if he goes (I need someone to make me go). Baby Zero is sleeping again (mostly) so morning workouts might start happening again. And it's finally warming up, so walks at lunchtime are happening again.

My typical meal plans are as follows:

• 1st thing when I get to work (8:30-ish), one can of Brunwick sardines / herring / seafood snacks, 3 stoned wheat crackers, 2-3 oz of smoked tofu, and a coffee. This is high protein, low fat, moderate carb, and tasty as all get-out.
  • 2, 2.5 hours later, a whey protein shake in milk.
  • After my afternoon walk / workout, either Beefaroni (why does it have 2x the protein of the other Chef Boyardee meals? Strange!) or can of tuna with assorted flavorings in it, 3 more crackers and another 2-3 oz of smoked tofu.
  • 2, 2.5 hours later (before I leave work) a whey protein shake in milk.
  • Dinner is usually a full meal with the family. Burritos and salad last night, or steak and peas and corn and quinoa (quinoa has replaced rice around here, and the kids don't mind at all. WOO)
  • Around 9, if I can't resist food, I have either a couple hard-boiled eggs or a small coffee cup of cereal, or some popcorn, SOMETHING to keep me from losing my mind.

My buddy Kyrose bugs me to post updates at the BWC forum every single day, which is really helping to keep me on track, curse him!
Mighty Jalapeno
What does the FOX say?

Postby Moo » Wed Mar 11, 2009 8:02 am UTC

That's amazing; good for you!
Proverbs 9:7-8 wrote:Anyone who rebukes a mocker will get an insult in return. Anyone who corrects the wicked will get hurt. So don't bother correcting mockers; they will only hate you.
Moo
Oh man! I'm going to be so rebellious! I'm gonna...

Postby Kirjava » Wed Mar 11, 2009 9:50 pm UTC

I'm impressed.

That's an extremely solid diet. I know you barely know me and v.v., but I'm solidly proud of you :)

Best of luck keeping it up!

KJ
Aku: Who dares to summon the Master of Masters, the Deliverer of Darkness, the Shogun of Sorrow, Aku?
Kirjava

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:04 pm UTC

Thanks, I think! I was worried about the solidity. I do take a good multivitamin and flax seed oul, just to aid with digestion and fill in any nutritional gaps (for instance... lunch today was chicken, with chicken, and chicken. Mmmm, chicken.)

I'm also extremely pleased to notice that, even in the last few days, I can do markedly MORE pushups than before. To the point that, last night, I started doing my normal 5 and 5, and it felt easy, so I kept going, and got to 27 (perhaps my highest ever.)
Mighty Jalapeno
What does the FOX say?

Postby PictureSarah » Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:12 pm UTC

So awesome, MJ! It feels good to make progress, doesn't it? And I really admire you being able to fit the dieting and exercise in on top of taking care of your kids. Not sure I could do nearly as well.
"A ship is safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
PictureSarah
Secretary of Penile Nomenclature

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:22 pm UTC

I started trying last August, and it's only really since the middle of January I've been able to balance everything. Kind of a suck-ass starting out (not bad diet, poor exercise) since I mentioned before that, without results, I'll get discouraged and stop. It's only lately I've been seeing results, and finding more varied ways to reach my goals (and now I'm trying to do better every day than the previous day.) Three days this week I've walked past Senor Froggys with money IN MY POCKET, and not purchased food. Woo!

Good luck with your whole "GYAK must look hawt for wedding!" :)
Mighty Jalapeno
What does the FOX say?

Postby shocklocks » Thu Mar 12, 2009 12:23 am UTC

Why on earth are you worrying if a new set of scales says more weight? I wouldn't bother using scales at all if you're in the middle of an effective weight lifting program. You should be adding muscle at the same (or a similar) rate you're losing fat. If your waist is going down you are losing fat. Use calipers if you want a more accurate way then that to measure fat loss. Don't worry so much about scales.
shocklocks

Postby mrbaggins » Thu Mar 12, 2009 4:27 am UTC

Yeah..... go on waistlines (which you're killing, by the belt story)

I is still trying to get back to double digits. You're flogging me on the discipline though. Keep it up.
Why is it that 4chan is either infinitely awesome, infinitely bad, or "lolwut", but never any intermediary level?
mrbaggins

Postby psyck0 » Thu Mar 12, 2009 4:45 am UTC

Congrats!!
psyck0

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Mon May 04, 2009 9:06 pm UTC

Ok, rebooting.

March was rough. April was rough. Blah blah, excuses, bitchcakes, I backslid hard and for the past two weeks have been living almost entirely off of convenience food. My wedding ring fits again which means that I gained enough weight for it to fit again. This is very, very depressing.

I'd vowed to reboot myself on the first, but the first was the peak of my sleep deprivation. Saturday didn't work because I had to work, and I had to be up at 5:30am anyways to drive my wife to the Farmer's Market. I had delicious bad food all day. Sunday was a wash, as they so often are, since I was stuck at the farm for half the day and spent the other half cooking and cleaning.

TODAY was sort of a wash, since I woke up after a decent night's sleep and without a sore throat for the first time in weeks, but I was so unbelievably sore (seriously, my kidneys? Mufugging OW!) and my feet were so damaged from my time at the farm all I could do was limp to the kitchen to make coffee, and then play Skyrates for 20 minutes while my foot balm worked (and burned).

And I was getting incredibly discouraged again.

And then leslie posted about FatBet, and suddenly I've got a graph, and competition, in an easy-to-read and easy-to-link-to format. I posted it to FaceBook so all of those people can see. I posted it to my blog so those people can see. I told my family, so they can see. I'm back on my old diet (which is sort of my new diet... whatever) and I feel good today. I have to re-stock on some food and I need to add some cost-effective variety, so I am looking at a routine where I incorporate the roast chicken from Extra Foods (half price the day after, $2 for half a chicken is a lot of chicken!) and maybe more vegetables. I've really discovered that I like every fruit known to man, in smoothie form. Our last smoothie filled up the blender so much there was no ROOM for yogurt, so it was: 1 jar of canned peaches, 1 jar of cannes Asian pears, 1 big baggie of frozen blueberries, 1 banana, 1 apple, 1 orange, and 1 container of dessert tofu, and some lemon juice. NO ROOM FOR YOGURT! 99% fruit by weight. And I loved it. And drank all of it. Liquefying food I hate = food I love, and nutrients to boot.

I need to also incorporate evening workouts in order to keep my energy levels up throughout the day, so this week I'm going to try that. Maybe stack some freeweights upstairs and do them while watching House after the kids go to bed. I know I'll get mocked by the other grownups in the house, but at long last: fuck them. I need to do this while I can.

Thank you, leslie and FatBet.

It's on.
Mighty Jalapeno
What does the FOX say?

Postby Kirjava » Mon May 04, 2009 10:16 pm UTC

Mighty Jalapeno wrote:Ok, rebooting.

...snip...

It's on.

Bad luck on the April slide. I had one of those too, as everybody bought me Easter Eggs even though I told them not to bother. Good thing is, it seems to be easier to get back into it when you have the solid base from before - so, if you're not motivated enough already, know that the longer you leave it the harder it'll get! (no sex jokes plzkthx)

Smoothies are apparently the basis of most good diets - although a lot of the ones I see add in a spoonful of whey protein just to boost protein intake. Protein is great, because it makes you feel full, but doesn't have too many calories per gram. Also helps muscle development. I'm sure you knew that.

I also recently read that workouts earlier in the morning are more effective because they rev up your metabolism for the whole day, meaning you're burning off whatever you eat quicker. I've taken to going to the gym or running in the morning instead - but I'm a freeloading student rather than a responsible father, so I have rather more flexibility to do that kind of thing. Still, if you can manage it...

Best of luck with the plan - will look forward to hearing the results. I always find it easier in the summer, 'cos I can run outside, and I hate treadmills. Or do you get good enough weather all year round to run outside most of the year?
Kirjava

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Mon May 04, 2009 10:25 pm UTC

I keep my whey protein at work, my wife mocks the hell out of that stuff, too.

As for morning workouts, that's on the menu, but I want to incorporate one in the evenings as well, so I don't feel like a couch-ridden load.

As for good weather, our Almanac Final Frost isn't for another two weeks. :(
Mighty Jalapeno
What does the FOX say?

Postby poxic » Mon May 04, 2009 10:36 pm UTC

Go MJ! That's exactly what I've found -- it isn't "doing it perfectly" that matters, it's just plain "doing it".

Spoilered for blah blah blah:
Spoiler:
I've started using the gym in the last month after donating money to them for a couple of years. I hired a trainer for three sessions, $99 on sale now!, and he asked for notes from my doctor and physiotherapist. The doctor had nothing to say ("poxic has no contraindications to exercise"). My physiotherapist used the phrase "severe muscle waste". Ouch. I need to build muscle mass. It would be nice to have enough meat on my ribs to let the cat lie on top of me without her causing me pain. :(

What motivates me this time around is physical pain, really. My body is starting to tell me that I'm not taking good care of it, and it's getting louder. My neck and shoulders hurt a lot (I have a neck injury), and I'm starting to see early signs of the rheumatoid arthritis that runs through one side of my gene pool. I'm happy to see that this kind of motivation works, if we're looking for silver linings. I've settled into a routine of going for ~45 minute workouts after work, or after breakfast/brunch on weekends, about 6 days a week. Once a week I end up blowing it off, depending on general health and other commitments.

When I was younger, I tried to force myself to work hard every time I went to the gym. That probably contributed to me avoiding the gym for a long time, since it wasn't fun or comfortable a lot of the time. Now, I let myself dog it on days when I don't have as much energy, doing 1/2 or 2/3 of my routine, but I still do something. The trainer would probably be disappointed -- he wants me to crawl home from each workout, I think -- but I have to listen to my body and do whatever won't hurt me, and whatever will keep me willing to come back tomorrow.

What matters is the habit, settling into a daily routine that automatically folds in some exercise. It doesn't have to be a perfect, maximally efficient workout every single time. Follow your body's rhythms. Some days you can attack that weight rack/cardio machine/whathaveyou like a bat outta hell; other days, you won't feel like doing much more than a baby workout. You'll figure out your own patterns. Work with them, not against them. :wink:
TEAM SHIVAHN
Pretty much the best team ever

Well historically speaking, we Jews do tend to be great at Christmas. Just ask Irving Berlin. Or Jesus.
- a random xkcd forumite
poxic
Eloquently Prismatic

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Thu Jun 25, 2009 6:37 pm UTC

Back on track.

New poll! How many of you are sick of me saying that?

Thanks to my buddy Kyrose over at Nerd Fitness, I've patched up some holes in my diet. Patched them up with carrots and apples. Patched them up old school.

I've cut out white sugar entirely (except where it can't be avoided). No sugar in my coffee also forces me to cut down on my coffee, which can only be a good thing at this stage. I allow myself honey in my coffee at home, which I only have enough time for a tiny cup. I am walking at lunch, and I seem to have gotten my energy back. I've further reduced my snacking at home, and it's been noted in only four days that food is piling up in our kitchen because I'm not eating it. How fucking gluttonous was I?!

Quite.

Click Garfield down there to learn about what I'm doing, as well, since I'm keeping track on my 'professional' blog. I do this because when it's a real blog I pay MONEY for (using graphics I paid money for!) I'm a LOT more likely to keep it up, as well as think about it throughout the day. In particular, my rant titled 'One Year Of My Life', under the Random section, is what's keeping me on goal. Last night TWO PEOPLE gave me cans of Coke, and I said no.

I've never done that.

Ever.

*eats an apple, then goes for a walk*
Mighty Jalapeno
What does the FOX say?

Postby eekmeep » Fri Jun 26, 2009 5:15 am UTC

Congratulations!

I know when I eat well, hydrate well, and exercise well (all in moderation), I really feel so much better. And if I exercise, I am less likely to eat junk.

Anyway, yeah, congrats!
eekmeep

Postby BiancaBlack » Fri Jun 26, 2009 12:32 pm UTC

I remember following this thread when you first started it and I have to say it seems your attitude has changed a great deal! You seem so much more "can do" and happy about improving your habits. Congratulations! :)
This one time at, er, space camp...
BiancaBlack

Postby mrbaggins » Fri Jun 26, 2009 1:13 pm UTC

Awesomely relevant avatar.
Why is it that 4chan is either infinitely awesome, infinitely bad, or "lolwut", but never any intermediary level?
mrbaggins

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Sun Jun 28, 2009 4:14 pm UTC

I lost two pounds since beginning One Year last Monday.

*does a little dance*
*makes a little love*
*eats an apple*
Mighty Jalapeno
What does the FOX say?

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Tue Jul 07, 2009 3:59 am UTC

Averaging out the various different methods and equations, my body fat can be reasonably approximated to be 38.6%. My lean bodyweight is therefore about 195 lbs (IE, if I had NO fat, I'd weigh 195). Consequently, my minimum caloric intake can be safely rounded down from 2500 calories to 2100 calories, and starting yesterday... it has.

There's hunger, but the urge to snack is fading.

I am keeping careful watch on how I feel, to make sure I don't starve myself, so don't worry. I'm getting 100g of protein per day, keeping my carbs very low, and consuming half of my food mass in the form of fruits and vegetables.

Science!
Mighty Jalapeno
What does the FOX say?

Postby mrbaggins » Tue Jul 07, 2009 7:08 am UTC

Mighty Jalapeno wrote:Science!

It's working, bitches!
mrbaggins

Postby princecuddlebug » Tue Jul 07, 2009 4:19 pm UTC

Hi,
I am a newbie and have been reading your postings and replies. To lose and not be hungry, the answer is eating the right foods in small amounts (1/2 cup) about every 2 hours. I noticed a meal you cooked...cauliflower, mashed potatoes, squash, carrots and fish sticks. You might not realize it, but mashed potatoes, squash and carrots are very high in carbs. If you eat large portions and don't exercise, your body stores the extra carbs it doesn't need as fat. To lose the fat you need to eat less carbs so when your body needs carbs it will burn the carbs it stored as fat. Does this make sense to you? The fish sticks you fixed, read the label on the pkg. Fish without breading, that is baked, broiled, Bar-b-Qed, is better for you. What I suggest...so you don't have to take my word for it. Go to a book store and look for a carb and calorie counter book. You can go through and find the foods you like and eat and add up the calories and carbs that you are eating. You will find out your answers. Being healthy and at a healthy weight starts at eating the right foods. STAYING FULL doesn't mean eating a lot. It means eating foods that have a LOT OF FIBER which is what keeps you full. What are these foods that have a lot of fiber? Look on the labels. 100% whole wheat bread. Eat fresh: Apples. Berries. Cabbage. Squash. Broccoli. Cauliflower. Green Beans. Tomatoes. Spinach. Lettuce. Beans. Drinking has tons of carbs and calories...every kind of drink from beer and wine up and sodas have tons also. If you drink sodas you can change to diet (sweetened with splenda is the best tasting) it will cut down without changing your habits. A simple meal of salad, 1 vegetable, and fresh fish will help you lose. A salad favorite of mine is to put lettuce, spinach, cabbage, together, add sliced almonds and use a balsamic vinaigrette dressing you get at the store. Fill up on salad. If your vegetable is potatoes,corn, or carrots eat only 1/2 cup...if your vegetable has lots of fiber like cauliflower, broccoli, green beans, you can have more than one portion.

Planning simple meals will give you more time and be healthier. Homemade chili with tomatoes, onions and beans will stay with you....have a small fruit salad with it.. that's my favorite. Stay away from eating crackers with it though.

This is all for now. Let me know how you do. I helped a friend lose 100 pounds doing this. You can do it. You can exercise by taking the baby out in the stroller and going for a walk. Both of you will enjoy it.
princecuddlebug

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Tue Jul 07, 2009 4:25 pm UTC

Thanks for the post, but I see you haven't read any of my recent posts. Man, I don't think I've had fish sticks in a year!
Mighty Jalapeno
What does the FOX say?

Postby Victoria Maddison » Wed Jul 08, 2009 12:41 am UTC

princecuddlebug wrote:To lose the fat you need to eat less carbs so when your body needs carbs it will burn the carbs it stored as fat.

Fat can't be converted back to carbohydrate. When the body needs carbohydrate and it doesn't have enough coming in from dietary sources it will start breaking down dietary protein and if that isn't enough it will break down muscle tissue.
Victoria Maddison

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Wed Jul 08, 2009 3:22 am UTC

Also true (I believe I mentioned ketosis somewhere in this thread). I get more than enough carbs to get by, and I exercise the fat away.
Mighty Jalapeno
What does the FOX say?

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Wed Jul 15, 2009 10:50 pm UTC

Allrighty, I've decided to change my focus / bent here a little bit, and this is going to be reflected in the Great xkcd FatBet.

My weight has fluctuated, and is back up again, so all in all I've only lost something like 3 lbs over the past 2.5 months. This might seem to be a bad thing, but some other facts must be taken into account:

* My legs are substantially stronger than before due to dilligent walking
* I've added TWO holes to my belt to accomodate my shrinking waistline
* I am eating considerably less and considerably better.
* I am taking in at least 5 times as much water as I was before (seriously, I never used to drink water)

Taking everything into account, it would seem that I've gotten stronger, and probably developed quite a bit of skeletal muscle.

My buddy Kyrose really, really helped me get back on track today when he explained that, given my size and history and changes to my diet, I shouldn't see it as me trying to lose about 100lbs. I should see it as being a 200lb experienced martial artist wearing a 120lb fatsuit day in, day out. If he (an avid amateur bodybuilder) wore a 120lb fatsuit, he'd never make it through the day. He wouldn't even be able to walk up stairs.

It is an interesting viewpoint, and I have subscribed to his newsletter. I am now more focused on fitness and strength, rather than weight, for a few reasons.

* Muscular people burn more calories simply by the virtue of having more muscle mass
* Fit people burn more calories at baseline due to a well-maintained cardiovascular system
* If I were stronger and more fit, I would FEEL more like exercising, as opposed to now, where I feel like having a nap.
* Once I start to show more gains in strength and endurance, it will motivate me to try and improve beyond that.

As a side-effect to all of these things, I will lose fat, and lose weight. I've just changed my focus.
Mighty Jalapeno
What does the FOX say?

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Tue Jul 21, 2009 7:38 pm UTC

Current running total:

Pounds lost since beginning of "One Year" - 11 lbs
Pounds lost since beginning of health kick, August 2008 - 22 lbs
Mighty Jalapeno
What does the FOX say?

Postby spudtheimpaler » Wed Jul 22, 2009 11:42 am UTC

Mighty Jalapeno wrote:Allrighty, I've decided to change my focus / bent here a little bit, and this is going to be reflected in the Great xkcd FatBet.

My weight has fluctuated, and is back up again, so all in all I've only lost something like 3 lbs over the past 2.5 months. This might seem to be a bad thing, but some other facts must be taken into account:

* My legs are substantially stronger than before due to dilligent walking
* I've added TWO holes to my belt to accomodate my shrinking waistline
* I am eating considerably less and considerably better.
* I am taking in at least 5 times as much water as I was before (seriously, I never used to drink water)

Taking everything into account, it would seem that I've gotten stronger, and probably developed quite a bit of skeletal muscle.

My buddy Kyrose really, really helped me get back on track today when he explained that, given my size and history and changes to my diet, I shouldn't see it as me trying to lose about 100lbs. I should see it as being a 200lb experienced martial artist wearing a 120lb fatsuit day in, day out. If he (an avid amateur bodybuilder) wore a 120lb fatsuit, he'd never make it through the day. He wouldn't even be able to walk up stairs.

It is an interesting viewpoint, and I have subscribed to his newsletter. I am now more focused on fitness and strength, rather than weight, for a few reasons.

* Muscular people burn more calories simply by the virtue of having more muscle mass
* Fit people burn more calories at baseline due to a well-maintained cardiovascular system
* If I were stronger and more fit, I would FEEL more like exercising, as opposed to now, where I feel like having a nap.
* Once I start to show more gains in strength and endurance, it will motivate me to try and improve beyond that.

As a side-effect to all of these things, I will lose fat, and lose weight. I've just changed my focus.

If more people thought like this, more people would lose weight long term. I've kept up with this thread periodically and occasionally there has been a backslide, just like everyoen has, but mostly whenever I read it I think you have the mentality to keep at it and get where you need, so often feel no need to comment. Honestly, I don't think there are many better psuedo-measurements than belt buckles and equally nothing quite so motivating. Keep on at what you're doing, mix it up where you can, and progress will continue. :) Congrats.
Fueled by tea and bad maths since 1983...
spudtheimpaler

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Fri Jul 24, 2009 5:00 pm UTC

Progress faltered yesterday. Went for lunch with my boy, but we split a combo at Senor Froggys, so all in all, it wasn't that bad (I had a burrito and 10 mexi-fries). Damn, it was tasty, though, and it's been a while since just me and him hung out for any length of time. Only did 60 pushups, didn't get on the elliptical, but feeling good today (I probably needed a rest day).

Anyways, I'm focusing right now on fight-training. I miss being a scary, scary human being, I miss fighting (not anger-fighting, but fighting-for-the-sake-of-fighting-fighting), but I don't know where to do that in this town outside of the monthly Tough-Guy competitions (and my weight class is fairly terrifying).

Does anyone have any fighting advice?
Mighty Jalapeno
What does the FOX say?

Postby Felstaff » Fri Jul 24, 2009 7:43 pm UTC

Mighty Jalapeno wrote:Current running total:

Pounds lost since beginning of "One Year" - 11 lbs
Pounds lost since beginning of health kick, August 2008 - 22 lbs

You've lost an entire giant fish! Imagine carrying that thing around with you all the time. That was you in August 2008.

Mighty Jalapeno wrote:Does anyone have any fighting advice?

You've come to the right guy; the secret is to hit the guy a lot harder than he hits you, and then run away screaming and threatening to sue.
Habent sua fata libelli et balli
Felstaff
Occam's Taser

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Fri Jul 24, 2009 7:49 pm UTC

That's... not helpful.

Hopefully I can get into a gentlemanly fracas with a biker at the Clutch show next week.
Mighty Jalapeno
What does the FOX say?

Postby Nath » Sat Jul 25, 2009 2:34 am UTC

Mighty Jalapeno wrote:Anyways, I'm focusing right now on fight-training. I miss being a scary, scary human being, I miss fighting (not anger-fighting, but fighting-for-the-sake-of-fighting-fighting), but I don't know where to do that in this town outside of the monthly Tough-Guy competitions (and my weight class is fairly terrifying).

Where are you? There are probably some martial arts clubs nearby that do some level of sparring and competition.
Nath

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Sat Jul 25, 2009 2:38 am UTC

There are, but a) not until I'm a higher belt level, b) only according to their specific rules, c) they're all quite a long drive from my house, and d) mostly run by douchebags that I've met before.
Mighty Jalapeno
What does the FOX say?

Postby Nath » Sat Jul 25, 2009 3:16 am UTC

Serious competition may only be possible with a bit of experience, but some sports (e.g. judo, BJJ and most other grappling sports) start sparring and friendly competition pretty early -- pretty much as soon as you can fall down safely. It's not fighting, but it can be fun and tiring.

Can't help with points b, c, and d, though. Also, I'm not sure what sort of fighting you're looking to do without a specific rule set :).
Nath

PreviousNext

Return to Fit Club