xkcd on Wikipedia

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Magistrates, Prelates, Moderators General

xkcd on Wikipedia

Postby xkcd » Sun Dec 03, 2006 6:53 pm UTC

I notice there's a 'recurring characters' section on the xkcd Wikipedia article. I learned some interesting things about my comic from it :)

The only strongly recurring character is the black hat guy. I put him in when I want to write someone who's a total jerk without it coloring the 'regular' stick figures too badly. That is, I like to pretend it's not me :) I gave him a top hat like Aram of Men in Hats, as that strip had recently ended and I wanted to carry on Aram's spirit. The hat has since flattened out some, but the jerk remains.

Other than that, I try to avoid explicitly making characters recurring for some of the same reasons I've enjoyed using just stick figures so much -- it changes where the focus of the strip is. (And it also changes the focus away from the fact that I can't draw cartoon characters!)
xkcd
Site Ninja

Postby aldimond » Sun Dec 03, 2006 7:01 pm UTC

Oh no! Vengeful God has returned to Earth, and we have committed such atrocities in His name!

*runs away*

*yes, from Earth*.

*I mean, I could run up a hill and get farther from its center of mass...*

*...*
One of these days my desk is going to collapse in the middle and all its weight will come down on my knee and tear my new fake ACL. It could be tomorrow. This is my concern.
aldimond
Otter-duck

Postby xkcd » Sun Dec 03, 2006 7:13 pm UTC

Not vengeful! I just started getting emails asking about characters! Here is a post about it! We are friends?
xkcd
Site Ninja

Postby Grincement » Sun Dec 03, 2006 7:22 pm UTC

*averts eyes*
We are not worthy sir!
It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes - Douglas Adams
Grincement
Should have Boobs (In theory)

Postby aldimond » Sun Dec 03, 2006 7:23 pm UTC

Yes. I was not trying to make fun of you or anything, my humor antennae probably need some adjustment.
One of these days my desk is going to collapse in the middle and all its weight will come down on my knee and tear my new fake ACL. It could be tomorrow. This is my concern.
aldimond
Otter-duck

Re: xkcd on Wikipedia

Postby thomasjmaccoll » Sun Dec 03, 2006 7:33 pm UTC

xkcd wrote:I notice there's a 'recurring characters' section on the xkcd Wikipedia article. I learned some interesting things about my comic from it :)

The only strongly recurring character is the black hat guy. I put him in when I want to write someone who's a total jerk without it coloring the 'regular' stick figures too badly. That is, I like to pretend it's not me :) I gave him a top hat like Aram of Men in Hats, as that strip had recently ended and I wanted to carry on Aram's spirit. The hat has since flattened out some, but the jerk remains.

Other than that, I try to avoid explicitly making characters recurring for some of the same reasons I've enjoyed using just stick figures so much -- it changes where the focus of the strip is. (And it also changes the focus away from the fact that I can't draw cartoon characters!)

that's all well and good
but despite your ownership
where's your haiku form?
slow down, you move too fast
thomasjmaccoll

Postby aldimond » Sun Dec 03, 2006 7:37 pm UTC

thomasjmaccoll wrote:
xkcd wrote:I notice there's a 'recurring characters' section on the xkcd Wikipedia article. I learned some interesting things about my comic from it :)

that's all well and good
but despite your ownership
where's your haiku form?

Maybe you just saw
haiku invade these fora;
it's *so* yesterday

EDIT: actually, that's not fair... i went through a "write everything in haiku" phase a few months ago, so i'm kind of tired of it now.
aldimond
Otter-duck

Postby thomasjmaccoll » Sun Dec 03, 2006 7:43 pm UTC

aldimond wrote:Maybe you just saw
haiku invade these fora;
it's *so* yesterday

EDIT: actually, that's not fair... i went through a "write everything in haiku" phase a few months ago, so i'm kind of tired of it now.

i saw haiku start
but then i left for two days
and missed the big rush :(
slow down, you move too fast
thomasjmaccoll

Postby Rat » Sun Dec 03, 2006 8:14 pm UTC

what about the red spiders and the kid in the bucket?

or do those not count?

edit: oh... i just glanced at the wiki article.. seems they were mentioned in the recurring themes bit....
Rat
Rattus Trolleri

Postby Jack Saladin » Sun Dec 03, 2006 8:22 pm UTC

The article even admits that "The Author" only appears in one strip, but then calls him a "recurring character."

I think that entire section should be replaced with why the forum mods rock.
Jack Saladin
X is kiss

Postby no-genius » Sun Dec 03, 2006 8:53 pm UTC

Saladin wrote:I think that entire section should be replaced with why no-genius rocks.

Edited to say what we were all thinking
I don't sing, I just shout. All. On. One. Note.
Official ironmen you are free, champions officially

The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:Why? It does nothing to address dance music's core problem: the fact that it sucks.
no-genius
Seemed like a good idea at the time

Postby william » Sun Dec 03, 2006 10:50 pm UTC

no-genius wrote:
Saladin wrote:I think that entire section should be replaced with why william rocks.

Improperly edited to try to say what we were all thinking, but william has fixed it
william
Not a Raptor. Honest.

Postby no-genius » Sun Dec 03, 2006 11:23 pm UTC

william wrote:
no-genius wrote:
Saladin wrote:I think that entire section should be replaced with why no-genius rocks.

edited to try to say what we were all thinking

hacked by the n00b,

but fixed by the awesome no-genius

The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:Why? It does nothing to address dance music's core problem: the fact that it sucks.
no-genius

Postby Verysillyman » Mon Dec 04, 2006 12:01 am UTC

lots of people wrote: a bunch of lies.

I agree with Saladin here, mods rock. (Ten points for subtle 60s references!)

I will look at the wiki in a minute, but before then I'll say that I might have considered the two lovers as recurring characters? Sure, they could be seperate sets of people and all, but it's kinda cool to imagine whenever there's two lovers they're the same ones, and forever going through their ups and downs.
Verysillyman
"Do me! Do me!"

Postby hermaj » Mon Dec 04, 2006 12:10 am UTC

I considered the lovers recurring as well, actually. I think that is how I related to them.

And mods are awesome, if I can acknowledge my new moddy powers as well as talk myself up :P
hermaj

Postby Verysillyman » Mon Dec 04, 2006 12:14 am UTC

hermaj wrote:I considered the lovers recurring as well, actually. I think that is how I related to them.

Perhaps they're a theme rather than characters. I should actually read the article before discussing it :oops:

hermaj wrote:And mods are awesome, if I can acknowledge my new moddy powers as well as talk myself up :P

You can, and, I think, just did. I just realised that 'hermaj' is probably short for 'her majesty'. I feel a bit stupid for taking so long, but there's bound to be other people who hadn't thought of it until they read this. Ha! If so, i'm smarter than you. Go team Mod!
Verysillyman
"Do me! Do me!"

Postby aldimond » Mon Dec 04, 2006 12:28 am UTC

Verysillyman wrote:You can, and, I think, just did. I just realised that 'hermaj' is probably short for 'her majesty'. I feel a bit stupid for taking so long, but there's bound to be other people who hadn't thought of it until they read this. Ha! If so, i'm smarter than you. Go team Mod!

Wow. Guess you're a lot smarter than me.

I thought it was some kind of name, and could not figure out how to pronounce it.
aldimond
Otter-duck

Postby no-genius » Mon Dec 04, 2006 12:42 am UTC

Verysillyman wrote:
hermaj wrote:And mods are awesome, if I can acknowledge my new moddy powers as well as talk myself up :P

You can, and, I think, just did. I just realised that 'hermaj' is probably short for 'her majesty'. I feel a bit stupid for taking so long, but there's bound to be other people who hadn't thought of it until they read this. Ha! If so, i'm smarter than you. Go team Mod!

Dammit, I was forever being picked last for teams at school.

no-genius

Postby william » Mon Dec 04, 2006 12:43 am UTC

no-genius wrote:
william wrote:
no-genius wrote:
Saladin wrote:I think that entire section should be replaced with why william rocks.

poorly edited,

fixed by the awesome william,

poorly reverted by the only partially awesome no-genius,

and fully fixed by the completely awesome william.
william
Not a Raptor. Honest.

Postby programmerbrad » Mon Dec 04, 2006 12:48 am UTC

william wrote:
no-genius wrote:
william wrote:
no-genius wrote:
Saladin wrote:I think that entire section should be replaced with why brad rocks.

poorly edited,

attempted fix by the demi-awesome william,

poorly reverted by the only partially awesome no-genius,

again reverted by the demi-awesome william.

Fixed and locked due to revert war.
programmerbrad

Postby aldimond » Mon Dec 04, 2006 12:50 am UTC

william wrote:
no-genius wrote:
william wrote:
no-genius wrote:
Saladin wrote:I think that entire section should be replaced with a neutral account of the rocking and sucking of both william and no-genius.

poorly NPOV violation'd,

NPOV-violated again by the allegedly-awesome william,

poorly NPOV-violated by no-genius, who some say is awesome

continued by william, whose IP is going to get banned.

Finally put into proper place by the just and merciful aldimond.

EDIT: thanks to my incredible slowness [citation needed] my late change overwrites brad's. woot.
aldimond
Otter-duck

Postby hermaj » Mon Dec 04, 2006 1:16 am UTC

aldimond wrote:
Verysillyman wrote:You can, and, I think, just did. I just realised that 'hermaj' is probably short for 'her majesty'. I feel a bit stupid for taking so long, but there's bound to be other people who hadn't thought of it until they read this. Ha! If so, i'm smarter than you. Go team Mod!

Wow. Guess you're a lot smarter than me.

I thought it was some kind of name, and could not figure out how to pronounce it.

Almost there. It was a bit of a joke between my friends and I - it is actually short for Hermaj, Queen of Sandwichdom. But it was always just Hermaj, as a name, because I am a pretty unpretentious lady! I am not sure where it came about, though sadly I think it was actually a means they devised of cheering me up when I was in counselling. There was also BLTdom, which was a much more short-lived little queendom. I am actually glad it took you that long to come up with that, because sometimes I wonder if people think I am just being stuck up when really it is more of a sentimental joke thing.

Also, it is herm-adge, I guess! The "her" and "maj" don't actually separate out.
hermaj

Postby rachel » Mon Dec 04, 2006 1:24 am UTC

william wrote:
no-genius wrote:
william wrote:
no-genius wrote:
Saladin wrote:I think that entire section should be replaced with a maybe we could actually stay on-topic for once, but at least no one is trying to get into each other's pants, except for their own section.

Seriously, william maybe wins for effort, though.

Although I like the name Brad quite a lot.

And aldimond is pretty awesome.

I am ignoring no-genius' contribution as much as I can, because I can do that.

I win.
rachel
Witch (?)

Postby Gelsamel » Mon Dec 04, 2006 1:26 am UTC

Hey, everyone lets just quote people over and over changing 1 or 2 words/letters in order to get 1000+ posts.
Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby rachel » Mon Dec 04, 2006 1:30 am UTC

Gelsamel wrote:Hey, everyone lets just quote people over and over changing 1 or 2 words/letters in order to get 1000+ posts.

No-genius already wins that, though. (Seriously, how do you have enough time to get 1085 posts?)
rachel
Witch (?)

Postby Verysillyman » Mon Dec 04, 2006 1:31 am UTC

Gelsamel wrote:Hey, I plan to quote people over and over changing 1 or 2 words/letters in order to get 1000+ posts. I'm nearly there!

:P
Verysillyman
"Do me! Do me!"

Postby aldimond » Mon Dec 04, 2006 1:38 am UTC

Gelsamel wrote:Hey, everyone lets just quote people over and over changing 1 or 2 words/letters in order to get 1000+ posts.

It's OK not to have as high a post-count as no-genius. I'm sure you have lots of other nice qualities...
aldimond
Otter-duck

Postby Gelsamel » Mon Dec 04, 2006 1:45 am UTC

aldimond wrote:It's OK not to have as high a post-count as no-genius.

I count this as a positive trait.
Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby no-genius » Mon Dec 04, 2006 1:53 am UTC

aldimond wrote:

It's OK not to have as high a post-count as no-genius. I'm sure you have lots of other nice qualities...

he doesn't

no-genius

Postby skeptical scientist » Mon Dec 04, 2006 1:54 am UTC

We seem to be on the verge of a revert-war over whether to include "Gelsamel's kingdom" as a possible alternate name to forums.xkcd.com. Isn't Wikipedia grand?
I'm looking forward to the day when the SNES emulator on my computer works by emulating the elementary particles in an actual, physical box with Nintendo stamped on the side.

"With math, all things are possible." —Rebecca Watson
skeptical scientist
closed-minded spiritualist

Postby Hawknc » Mon Dec 04, 2006 1:54 am UTC

If having a lower post count is a positive thing, I must be awesome!

...So clearly the hypothesis is flawed. ;)
Hawknc
Oompa Loompa of SCIENCE!

Postby william » Mon Dec 04, 2006 1:54 am UTC

rachel wrote:
william wrote:
no-genius wrote:
william wrote:
no-genius wrote:
Saladin wrote:I think that entire section should be replaced with a maybe we could actually stay on-topic for once, but at least no one is trying to get into each other's pants, except for their own section.

I win.

Hiro: "I'm sweet!"(except he said it in Japanese)

(and I'm not changing rachel's post because she's really pretty :P)
william
Not a Raptor. Honest.

Postby no-genius » Mon Dec 04, 2006 1:57 am UTC

william wrote:
rachel wrote:
william wrote:
no-genius wrote:
william wrote:
no-genius wrote:

I win.

Hiro: "I'm sweet!"(except he said it in Japanese)

(and I'm not changing rachel's post because she's really pretty :P)

SUDO I win

no-genius

Postby Jack Saladin » Mon Dec 04, 2006 1:57 am UTC

Yeah, stfu everyone. Especially no-genius. 1000+ posts is ridiculous!
Jack Saladin
X is kiss

Postby no-genius » Mon Dec 04, 2006 2:18 am UTC

Saladin wrote:

Yeah, stfu everyone. Especially no-genius. 1000+ posts is ridiculous!

OK, I'll stop at 1337 :P

Edit: surely only infinite posts is ridiculous?

no-genius

Postby aldimond » Mon Dec 04, 2006 2:27 am UTC

no-genius wrote:SUDO I win

Code: Select all
aldimond@talkingcookie ~ $ SUDO I win
bash: SUDO: command not found

Please, there is no need to shout at Unix. "sudo" will do just fine!

(edit: cut out superfluous quotations)
aldimond
Otter-duck

Postby Gelsamel » Mon Dec 04, 2006 2:28 am UTC

sudo no-genius can never win.
Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby no-genius » Mon Dec 04, 2006 2:32 am UTC

no-genius is a genius, so is happy with that

sudo the win!

no-genius

Postby TheTankengine » Thu Dec 07, 2006 8:45 pm UTC

I think I'm going to add a section about alternate URLs. Hopefully that will hasten the search!

Any other topics that should be there? I want to make the article longer than {{stub-class}}. Because xkcd comics have changed my life, it deserves at least a couple more topics.

Hasten means go faster, right?
be centered
be compassionate
be interesting
TheTankengine
Our Fora-father

Postby aldimond » Thu Dec 07, 2006 9:45 pm UTC

TheTankengine wrote:Hasten means go faster, right?

Yes, as in the sentence, "The fact that TheTankengine was proven to be Hitler did not persuade us to throw him in a lake of oil while on fire, it merely hastened the formation of the mob!" :D
aldimond
Otter-duck

Next

Return to General