New York area meetup??

For discussion of group meetings in the meat-o-sphere.

Moderators: LE4dGOLEM, Prelates, Moderators General

Re: New York area meetup??

Postby lanicita » Sun Jul 26, 2009 4:38 pm UTC

Oh yeah, I hope nobody showed up, we decided against it due to the weather :?
LE4d wrote:have you considered becoming an electron

it takes just a little practice to learn to be
lanicita
almost grown-up but not quite

Postby iniju » Sun Jul 26, 2009 7:00 pm UTC

Ah, NY weather... it stayed quite sunny after all :D
iniju

Postby clintonius » Mon Jul 27, 2009 5:39 pm UTC

Blurgh. Was moving, + had no internet access.
kira wrote:*piles up some limbs and blood and a couple hearts for good measure*
GUYS. I MADE A HUMAN.
*...pokes at it with a stick*
clintonius

Postby une see » Tue Jul 28, 2009 3:01 am UTC

This might be a pretty cool thing to go to.
JELLY created this groundbreaking FREE series in the summer of 2006. In what was once the largest functioning swimming pool in North America, the McCarren Park Pool, a pool that had been abandoned for over 25 years, in the hippest neighborhood in the country, JELLY came in and created the biggest summer event series to hit NYC in decades. What started as a regional experience, jumped to global recognition in an unprecedented short time, and by summer 2007, audiences were traveling from the far corners of the world to experience Pool Parties first hand. This summer, JELLY is producing 8 FREE shows on at the riverfront in Williamsburg, Brooklyn, 90 Kent Ave btw N8th and N9th St. The shows will all take place on Sundays between the 12th of July and the 30th of August, from 2-8pm.
This is the full schedule of events, for those who are interested.

I actually think the only one I'll be able to go to is the Aug 23rd one (and maybe Aug 9th), but you guys should totally check out the other dates if you can.

Edit: all this stuff is really cool too...only for the summer though.

http://flavorpill.com/newyork/events/20 ... utting-lot
http://flavorpill.com/newyork/events/20 ... de-la-haba
T.S. Eliot in "The Waste Land" wrote:APRIL is the cruellest month, breeding
Lilacs out of the dead land, mixing
Memory and desire, stirring
Dull roots with spring rain.
une see
Is my girl

Postby semicharmed » Sun Aug 16, 2009 4:56 am UTC

I have a voucher good for two passes to the Whitney, good until 9/6, if anyone's interested.
Weekends are probably best, I'm supposed to start work this week, and as far as I know it's 9-5, M-F. So I'd probably go on a Saturday, but 20th century American art isn't my absolute favorite, so if two people here want to go, I'd figure out how to best get the voucher to you... I hate letting things like this go to waste.
semicharmed

Postby bofthem » Wed Aug 19, 2009 1:39 am UTC

I'm going to be up in NYC and visiting Resistor in the evening on Sat. I'd love a visit to the museum.

Thoughts?
Visit my site here.
Follow me on twitter here.
I like you.
bofthem

Postby semicharmed » Thu Aug 27, 2009 3:25 pm UTC

Has anyone else not seen Inglorious Basterds yet?
I want to see it, and it looks like I'll be in NYC Saturday evening for birthday festivities, so sometime during the day would work. Assuming Danny stays well out in the Atlantic...
semicharmed

Postby lanicita » Thu Aug 27, 2009 4:21 pm UTC

I would, but hendu and I are in Boston this weekend. But is it your birthday? If so, happy birthday!

lanicita

Postby semicharmed » Thu Aug 27, 2009 4:49 pm UTC

Nope, friend's birthday, I'm a June baby.
semicharmed

Postby semicharmed » Sat Sep 05, 2009 12:51 am UTC

(Doubling-posting for new, awesome information!)
Saturday, Sept. 26th is Smithsonian Museum Day, during which participating museums offer free admission. All day!
This is the list of participating NYS museums, and here's a map where it can be narrowed down.
Anyone else interested? I'll be in the city that day for class anyway, and one of my friends from Tulane has already said she's definitely interested, so I'm definitely hitting at least one or two places on the list.
semicharmed

Postby lanicita » Sat Sep 05, 2009 1:49 am UTC

I'm not much of a museum person, but I have always wanted to check out the transit museum... not sure yet what I'm doing that weekend, but I'll keep you posted!

lanicita

Postby Sprocket » Fri Sep 11, 2009 8:31 pm UTC

lanicita wrote:I'm not much of a museum person, but I have always wanted to check out the transit museum... not sure yet what I'm doing that weekend, but I'll keep you posted!
...but...museums...NYC...that's...like...why NYC EXISTS! (in my world)
"She’s a free spirit, a wind-rider, she’s at one with nature, and walks with the kodama eidolons”
ImageImage Image Image
Sprocket
Seymour

Postby semicharmed » Wed Sep 16, 2009 1:10 am UTC

Anyone else going to the Room to Read/xkcd Volume 1 book tour shindig?
semicharmed

Postby hendusoone » Wed Sep 16, 2009 1:14 am UTC

I considered it, but figured tickets would be way too expensive, so I didn't put in a bid. I take it you're going? How much did the ticket end up costing?
Jack Saladin wrote:Humanities salvation relies on us sending the Earth into a giant black hole.
hendusoone
Mr. Dreambeard butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts. Butts.

Postby lazarus89 » Wed Sep 23, 2009 3:26 pm UTC

Speaking of museums: did anyone know that there's a Museum Of Sex in the village?

The ladyfriend and I will be checking it out this weekend... I will report back on how awkward a date idea this really is.
pedant wrote:You drove your car off a cliff. Moments before your car hit the ground, I plugged you right between the eyes with a sniper rifle. Your car hits the ground and creates a dramatic fireball. How did you die?

Awesomely.
lazarus89

Postby lanicita » Wed Sep 23, 2009 4:37 pm UTC

I've been there. It's, uh, not that good.

Free museum weekend! I forgot already! Hendu and I will be in the city... we have things to do on Sunday, but maybe some wanderings around museums would be nice and lazy enough for a Saturday?

lanicita

Postby semicharmed » Sat Sep 26, 2009 1:25 pm UTC

I'm still planning to head in, don't know where I'm going to go yet, though.
I'll probably take the 11:30 in, which gets me into Penn around 1, so I was planning to just bring the map of what places are participating and a bunch of the little cards.
semicharmed

Postby ufomg » Sun Sep 27, 2009 3:02 am UTC

I just moved to brooklyn and need to hang out with some like-minded people or I'll go nuts. someone think of something quick!!
ufomg

Postby lazarus89 » Mon Sep 28, 2009 12:53 pm UTC

Well, the museum of sex wasn't terrible.

We're checking out the Tenement Museum the next time she's in town, and the Transit Museum the time after that.

Also, totally non-NY related, but the glass flowers exhibit at Harvard's Natural History Museum is really, really, really pretty.
pedant wrote:You drove your car off a cliff. Moments before your car hit the ground, I plugged you right between the eyes with a sniper rifle. Your car hits the ground and creates a dramatic fireball. How did you die?

Awesomely.
lazarus89

Postby hendusoone » Mon Sep 28, 2009 2:09 pm UTC

The Transit Museum is a pretty nice place. I took a couple of pictures while I was there... but only of old Burma Shave ads.
Jack Saladin wrote:Humanities salvation relies on us sending the Earth into a giant black hole.
hendusoone
Mr. Dreambeard butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts. Butts.

Postby lanicita » Mon Sep 28, 2009 7:58 pm UTC

We are going to the Museum of Natural History, which I haven't been to since I was a wee lady, next time hendu comes here. Felicia Day was there on Saturday, I'm sad we missed her :(

lanicita

Postby semicharmed » Mon Sep 28, 2009 10:48 pm UTC

lanicita wrote:We are going to the Museum of Natural History, which I haven't been to since I was a wee lady, next time hendu comes here. Felicia Day was there on Saturday, I'm sad we missed her :(

Oh, I am so in*, I love that place. Last time I was there was... December, but it's probably my favorite museum in NYC.
*Assuming you're not just posting here to be all "nyah, nyah, we're hitting awesome museums. Alone. With our awesome selves. Because none of you are worthy of our company".
semicharmed

Postby lanicita » Tue Sep 29, 2009 12:52 am UTC

No, you can totally come along! It'll be 3 or 4 weeks from now, I'll let you know for sure when we figure it out.

lanicita

Postby semicharmed » Thu Oct 01, 2009 5:29 pm UTC

lanicita wrote:No, you can totally come along! It'll be 3 or 4 weeks from now, I'll let you know for sure when we figure it out.

Sweet, I'm not working weekends. Also, if we do that, we should totally then walk/subway downtown (depending on the weather...) and grab food at the place I mentioned ages ago. Cheap (like, a full meal,with leftovers, and a drink for <$7), and tasty. And kind of a hole-in-the-wall, but everyone I've taken there/recommended it to has given it rave reviews.
semicharmed

Postby Kaglan » Tue Oct 13, 2009 12:58 am UTC

Might I join you for the museum thing? As this is my first post I'm a complete stranger even by Internet standards. I moved to the North NJ/ NYC area a couple years ago. I've seen part of the museum but would love to go back. Also (self-evidently), I'd like to meet xkcd fans.
Kaglan

Postby Fiona_Q » Sun Oct 18, 2009 7:28 am UTC

I'm also new to the board (although not to xkcd), and new to NYC. I do live close to the museum of natural history, so a meetup there would be quite convenient!
Fiona_Q

Postby ufomg » Mon Oct 19, 2009 12:31 am UTC

hey that sounds like fun.. can I come too? ^^
ufomg

Postby reishka » Tue Oct 20, 2009 1:04 pm UTC

Something to store away for future note: http://accomplicetheshow.com/index.php

I just found out about it this morning and it looks pretty fun. Basically, it's a scavenger hunt/theatre production that takes place all over NYC. You go in groups of 10 and you're given a starting point, some backstory, and 3 hours.

The only downside is that it costs $65 a person. Might be a little bit pricey. Also, it only runs March - November, because winter weather is no fun.
reishka

Postby hendusoone » Tue Oct 20, 2009 2:27 pm UTC

I saw a tweet about that from Nathan Fillion... looked very interesting, but yeah, the price is rather unfortunate.
hendusoone

Postby reishka » Wed Oct 21, 2009 1:47 am UTC

Yeah, that's where I found it from. >.>
reishka

Postby hendusoone » Wed Oct 21, 2009 1:48 am UTC

Unfortunately, I'm pretty sure he's more likely to be in the LA one <.<
hendusoone

Postby reishka » Wed Oct 21, 2009 2:42 am UTC

Well, of course, but that doesn't mean the one in NY won't be fun. >.>
reishka

Postby thricelucky » Sun Oct 25, 2009 2:29 am UTC

Hey all, new to the boards but been reading xkcd for ages; I'm in NYC and would be down for whatever wacky hoboventure somebody can come up with. Nonsense NYC (http://www.nonsensenyc.com/) lists lots of absurd/ridiculous events that we could go to. Also there's Mathematics club on Saturdays at 10:30 (with bagels!).
Last edited by Hammer on Fri Oct 30, 2009 2:24 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Live link removed
thricelucky

Postby BlackSails » Sat Nov 07, 2009 7:35 pm UTC

So, anyone want to see the Meteor shower next week? Im guessing central park would be the best play to try seeing them.
BlackSails

Postby lanicita » Mon Nov 09, 2009 2:30 am UTC

BlackSails wrote:So, anyone want to see the Meteor shower next week? Im guessing central park would be the best play to try seeing them.
There's really no way we'll be able to see them in the city, too much light pollution. If you want to try to see them, try further upstate or Long Island.

lanicita

Postby scikidus » Wed Jan 06, 2010 3:51 am UTC

Bump for great New Yorker justice.

Did the AMNH meetup ever happen? Because it should. And I'd like to attend as well, if possible.
Happy hollandaise!

"The universe is a figment of its own imagination" -Douglas Adams
scikidus

Postby lanicita » Sat Jan 09, 2010 1:17 am UTC

It didn't happen, actually... hendu and I went on our own though. If others want to set it up, I would go.

Now for some random: Is anyone in the NYC area looking for a great dentist? I just found an AMAZING one. Their shtick is "guilt-free dentistry," and they are so nice. They don't lecture you about tooth care, and they make everything as gentle and anxiety-free as possible. The x-rays are extra-low-radiation, they use a laser instead of that awful scraper to look for decay, and they talk you through the entire thing. They tell you all the costs upfront, and they give you a $50 credit for every referral. So if anyone is looking, PM me and I'll tell you more about them and give you my name so I can get the referral bonus. I need about $800 worth of preventative work done, NOT counting my wisdom teeth needing to come out pretty soon, so I would really appreciate the referral money. Thanks!

lanicita

Postby Meteorswarm » Sun Feb 21, 2010 9:27 pm UTC

I'm going to be working at Google NYC this summer, so I'd love it if there were a meetup that I could attend. Do you have any plans?

(Also, any tips on finding housing in the City? I'm apparently on my own, and I'll I've got now is Craigslist. Ideally, I'd need somewhere near 111 8th, in Chelsea)
The same as the old Meteorswarm, now with fewer posts!
Meteorswarm

Postby lanicita » Sun Feb 21, 2010 9:53 pm UTC

I used Craigslist. It's surprisingly helpful, especially if you're looking for just a summer sublet because there will be tons of them posted. Just a heads up though, the housing market in NYC moves REALLY fast. You'll probably only need to start looking a month or less in advance, and once you find what you like you really have to move fast to secure it.

I think Chelsea is a pretty expensive neighborhood to live in. If you want something cheaper but accessible to where you're looking, look for something off the A/C/E or the L trains. Cheaper neighborhoods to look in, which would still be only up to a 30 minute commute, would be Williamsburg off the L, Harlem off the A (125th is a great area), or even Hell's Kitchen/Clinton/Midtown West/whatever they're calling it these days, which is west of Times Square.

Also I am moving from NYC to Boston this summer, so no meetup plans from me.

lanicita

Postby Felstaff » Wed May 12, 2010 10:13 am UTC

I'll be in NYC in June, about the 10th-14th I think. It would be great to meet up with you fine people. However it's a very short, family trip, celebrating my sexagenarian father's birthday, so I'm not sure if there's anything I can do than grab a quick coffee/beer with you hoopy froodle yankee-doodles.

My last trip involved walking around the Ulysses Bar near Wall Street, asking people if they were called 'clintonius'

Did the proposition to set up a Little Britain in NYC ever come to fruition? I have a friend there who was kind of upset how Chinatown is encroaching on Little Italy (he's of German/Jewish extraction, so I don't know why he's so upset), but in order to not be so homesick, I demand a slice of NYC to incorporate red telephone boxes, black taxicabs, stately palaces, and gentrified elite in top hats and tails, popping their monocles into snifters of brandy at every small surprise.

Hopefully I can meet meteorswarm, and apologise in person for deleting his account.
Habent sua fata libelli et balli
Felstaff
Occam's Taser

PreviousNext

Return to XKCD Meetups