Ball Pen

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

skylerdray

Ball Pen

Postby skylerdray » Thu Jul 30, 2009 3:42 am UTC

I don't know if this has been posted before, but what is the total cost of operation for a ball pen/pit/pool? :P
Like the containment for the balls, and the balls.
Thanks in advance. :D

J the Ninja

Re: Ball Pen

Postby J the Ninja » Thu Jul 30, 2009 3:58 am UTC

As in one that the public would be shuffling through? That would require a lot of work to keep clean. If it was a private in-your-own-home kind of thing, it would be a lot cheaper. Googling "ball pit operating costs" turns up this:

http://www.sensoryedge.com/ballpits.html

And that Randall apparently DID install a ball pit in his house.

EDIT: (should've punched in "site:http://blag.xkcd.com/ ball pit" before submitting this)

http://www.chiliahedron.com/ballroom/

http://turingcompletewasteoftime.blogsp ... p-now.html

http://blag.xkcd.com/2007/11/19/growing-up/
Last edited by J the Ninja on Thu Jul 30, 2009 4:06 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Shishichi wrote:Applies a sexward force to counter the sexpression effect that Forward Advection can apply to fluid density, particularly along sextainer boundaries. In this way, the sextribute attempts to conserve the overall fluid volume ensuring no density loss.
(he/him/his)

TheSkyMovesSideways

Postby TheSkyMovesSideways » Thu Jul 30, 2009 3:59 am UTC

And I was expecting this thread to be about Biros! :lol:
I had all kinds of plans in case of a zombie attack.
I just figured I'd be on the other side.
~ASW

Wright

Postby Wright » Thu Jul 30, 2009 3:07 pm UTC

Heh, same here Sky. Must be an Australian thing.
If you get glitter on you, be prepared to have it on you forever. Glitter is the herpes of craft supplies.

singlefin

Postby singlefin » Thu Jul 30, 2009 3:40 pm UTC

Wright wrote:Heh, same here Sky. Must be an Australian thing.

And a UKian thing, too: I was expecting writing implements... but what I found instead is soooo much better.

Mr. N

Postby Mr. N » Thu Jul 30, 2009 3:53 pm UTC

I was thinking Bic.

If you do make one, post a thorough description and review. I'm wondering if a ball pen is more comfortable for movie watching than a good quality sofa (in the range of, say, $2000-5000).

Aside: if one of your friends is smelly and you don't want the balls to inherit the smell, what is a polite way to suggest that he sit on a folding chair instead?
Your momma eats Pop Tarts!

Plasma Man
Location: Northampton, Northampton, Northampton middle England.

Postby Plasma Man » Thu Jul 30, 2009 4:07 pm UTC

Put piranhas in your ball pen.
Please note that despite the lovely avatar Sungura gave me, I am not a medical doctor.

Possibly my proudest moment on the fora.

rnew
RAAAAAAGGGHHH I'M A DINOSAUR

Postby rnew » Thu Jul 30, 2009 7:19 pm UTC

I'm moving into a fully unfurnished flat* in a month - i'm going to suggest this to my housemate for our living room. Our entire living room

*student houses here are normally furnished
Meowgan wrote:Rnew, you're so hot. Boom!
Zohar wrote:Seriously rnew, I cannot get over how awesome your avatar is. It brings up a smile every time I see it.

Afrit

Postby Afrit » Thu Jul 30, 2009 8:15 pm UTC

I too was expecting pens, and am ecstatic that it was instead about ballpits :D

Now, everyone, let's figure out what's the most economical way to go about this.
Are there playpen ball wholesalers? Buy local to save on shipping? Who has the best price online?
Everyone, go out, research!
If you have a ballpit, please post where you got the balls at and such.
I'll report back with any information I can find

Mr. N

Postby Mr. N » Thu Jul 30, 2009 10:15 pm UTC

Plasma Man wrote:Put piranhas in your ball pen.

Good idea. The smell of dead fish is still much more tolerable.

Here's a helpful business for you ball pit owners:

Ball Pit Cleaners
Your momma eats Pop Tarts!

e^iπ+1=0
Much, much better than Gooder

Postby e^iπ+1=0 » Fri Jul 31, 2009 5:29 am UTC

The calculator plus a little googling tells me that it would be fairly feasible for me to fill an area about the size of my bed a depth of around 1.5 feet. I'm still trying to figure this out, but I think I can change the numbers a bit and make it better. For instance, if I decrease the area a bit, I can get a depth of 2 feet which would require approximately the same number of balls. Unfortunately, the ball radius is throwing me off a bit. The balls I've found have a radius anywhere from 1.125-1.625, which changes things A LOT! I've only spent about 10 minutes working on this so far, so I'm sure I can make this better. I'll post back if I figure it out.

EDIT: The more I search, the more skeptical I become. I decided to ditch the conservative numbers and just go for what I wanted. My searchs tell me that this will probably cost at least $700. I can technically afford it, but I don't know if I want to spend that much on this.

EDIT2: So far I believe this is the place with the best prices. I would be ordering 7 or 8 cases from them if I wind up doing this. Can anyone find a better price?
poxic wrote:You, sir, have heroic hair.
poxic wrote:I note that the hair is not slowing down. It appears to have progressed from heroic to rocking.

(Avatar by Sungura)

rubber314chicken

Postby rubber314chicken » Sat Aug 01, 2009 2:18 am UTC

Afrit wrote:Buy local to save on shipping?

Judging by the very very very low density and shear volume needed I'd suggest renting a 26' uhaul (or a pickup and a trailer if you prefer) and putting the balls in there. Shipping that much volume must really cost a fortune. That'd save at least a few hundred bucks.
Official Thread-Jacker

SecondTalon wrote:Semen! I said semen! tee hee!

Walter.Horvath

Postby Walter.Horvath » Sat Aug 01, 2009 2:53 am UTC

I used the ballpit calculator to calculate how much it would cost to fill my room to an average height with ballpoint pen balls (What I originally thought this thread was about). It is expensive.

MysteryBall

Postby MysteryBall » Sun Aug 02, 2009 10:40 am UTC

If you buy packs of 100 from Argos or Tesco, you can fill a 10' by 10' room with 3 feet of balls for around £350. That's about 64% packing efficiency and 0.05p a ball.

Trust me, I've been planning my ball room these past few days. :)

EDIT: Wait, no, I made a mistake on the calculations, it's 1.25" radius, I was misreading the calculator field as diameter, this adds about £2000 to the overall cost. :(

Hop on eBay instead, much cheaper balls on there.

rubber314chicken

Postby rubber314chicken » Sun Aug 02, 2009 10:10 pm UTC

Cue wrote:If you buy packs of 100 from Argos or Tesco, you can fill a 10' by 10' room with 3 feet of balls for around £350. That's about 64% packing efficiency and 0.05p a ball.

Trust me, I've been planning my ball room these past few days. :)

EDIT: Wait, no, I made a mistake on the calculations, it's 1.25" radius, I was misreading the calculator field as diameter, this adds about £2000 to the overall cost. :(

Hop on eBay instead, much cheaper balls on there.

Either way its expensive. But well worth it for the hours of ball-pen sex, groping, and fun you'll have. And I'm SURE you can get people to help pay. I posted that I wanted money to make one on facebook and in 5 minutes 10 people had liked my status.
Official Thread-Jacker

rubber314chicken

Postby rubber314chicken » Sun Aug 02, 2009 11:12 pm UTC

what about something that you can spray on the balls, so you don't have to empty the pit?
Official Thread-Jacker

icanus

Postby icanus » Sun Aug 02, 2009 11:12 pm UTC

Bucket of soapy water/disinfectant, net bags to hold the balls. Dunk, soak, then hang them up in the net to dry.

That's what 2 years of working with not-yet-fully-toilet-trained children with special needs and having "cleaning the sensory room" in your job description will teach you. Also, it teaches you to put the gloves on before plunging your hand to the bottom of the ball pool to search for that missing sock - after you make that mistake, you'll never bite your fingernails again.

Walter.Horvath

Postby Walter.Horvath » Mon Aug 03, 2009 3:14 am UTC

You'd have to disinfect it if you got it from eBay. Just think how many other people have had sex on them!

Ew.

MysteryBall

Postby MysteryBall » Mon Aug 03, 2009 8:35 am UTC

Cut a small door out of the barrier, then have a large pipe to pipe them down into containers, probably the easiest way of getting them out. Then you just wash them any way possible, I guess.

The Mighty Thesaurus
In your library, eating your students

Postby The Mighty Thesaurus » Mon Aug 03, 2009 8:38 am UTC

singlefin wrote:
Wright wrote:Heh, same here Sky. Must be an Australian thing.

And a UKian thing, too: I was expecting writing implements... but what I found instead is soooo much better.

I think you're doing it wrong. Writing implements are awesome.
LE4dGOLEM wrote:your ability to tell things from things remains one of your skills.
Weeks wrote:Not only can you tell things from things, you can recognize when a thing is a thing

Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam

rubber314chicken

Postby rubber314chicken » Tue Aug 04, 2009 1:36 am UTC

Cue wrote:Cut a small door out of the barrier, then have a large pipe to pipe them down into containers, probably the easiest way of getting them out. Then you just wash them any way possible, I guess.

ohhh... so its like a pool filter where there is a stream out, and then a stream of them in that is clean. all we need is an automated cleaning machine.
Official Thread-Jacker

Josephine

Postby Josephine » Tue Aug 04, 2009 4:27 am UTC

I want one of these. but instead of the normal balls, I want tens of thousands of tiny balls. A centimeter in diameter at most. I shall calculate that and edit this post.

EDIT: Um... ouch. It only becomes viable at less than a hundredth of a cent per ball.
Belial wrote:Listen, what I'm saying is that he committed a felony with a zoo animal.

zug

Postby zug » Tue Aug 04, 2009 4:53 am UTC

nbonaparte1 wrote:I want one of these. but instead of the normal balls, I want tens of thousands of tiny balls. A centimeter in diameter at most. I shall calculate that and edit this post.

EDIT: Um... ouch. It only becomes viable at less than a hundredth of a cent per ball.

Couldn't you just buy beanbag filler at that rate? I rather like the feeling of the larger balls.

Spoiler:
in b4 that's what she said
Velifer wrote:Go to the top of a tower, drop a heavy weight and a photon, observe when they hit the ground.

Josephine

Postby Josephine » Tue Aug 04, 2009 5:42 am UTC

zug wrote:in b4 that's what she said

Also in before that's what she said to 'I want tens of thousands of tiny balls'
Belial wrote:Listen, what I'm saying is that he committed a felony with a zoo animal.

rogerwillson

Postby rogerwillson » Thu Aug 06, 2009 7:36 am UTC

Good topic to start posting. you are really a funny person.
Mind Games

Verysillyman
"Do me! Do me!"

Postby Verysillyman » Fri Aug 07, 2009 3:52 am UTC

i remember the first thread on this, and the second. there may have even been another in my absence (which is continued). i think the general consensus was that it was prohibitively expensive and dirty.

furthermore, i too was expecting some sort of writing implement.

Return to “General”