Doctor Whom

Rot your brains, then rot our boards

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Phill

Re: Doctor Who

Postby Phill » Wed Jul 08, 2009 8:02 am UTC

ArgonV wrote:I've always wondered what would happen is
Spoiler:
Jack got blown of or decapitated or something like that.
Looks like I'll find out tonight. In 40 minutes.

Hmmm, it raised a question in my mind.

Spoiler:
If Jack got split in two... would each half grow back into a new Jack?

Hit3k

Postby Hit3k » Thu Jul 09, 2009 7:26 am UTC

Phill wrote:
Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:
The part with the brain

Because
Spoiler:
He was in the body bag in bits and pieces and if they only found bits of him then there'd be a lot more Jacks running around

Best Torchwood yet.
Sungura wrote:My mom made me watch a star wars. Two of them , actually. The Death Star one and the one where the dude ends up in the swamp with the weird guy who talks funny.

sugarhyped

Postby sugarhyped » Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:43 pm UTC

im out of the country... :( altough usually im in the us and watch it online anyways--- thanks for the spoilers i was wondering wh people were posting to doctor who when there was none on.
sigh i prolly cant come here till august...
I wanted a signature. I don't know what to put here yet.

Yuri2356

Postby Yuri2356 » Fri Jul 10, 2009 11:50 am UTC

Hit3k wrote:
Phill wrote:
Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:
The part with the brain

Because
Spoiler:
He was in the body bag in bits and pieces and if they only found bits of him then there'd be a lot more Jacks running around

Best Torchwood yet.

Spoiler:
And if the brain has been split?

ArgonV

Postby ArgonV » Fri Jul 10, 2009 6:29 pm UTC

Spoiler:
Somehow I've got a feeling this isn't going to end well. And Ianto is dead? Seriously? Why?

This has got me wondering, where's the Doctor when you need him?

Gravitas Shortfall

Postby Gravitas Shortfall » Sat Jul 11, 2009 6:06 am UTC

Spoiler:
adnfk evuhwirh cuwhrjag rwgaucuircynvbuebfauewlvkhue rucbiruaovbyriwcryeuwyr!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry, just watched day 5...
We come from people who brought us up to believe that life is a struggle. And if you should ever feel really happy, be patient. This will pass.
- Garrison Keillor -

ArgonV

Postby ArgonV » Sat Jul 11, 2009 6:43 pm UTC

Well, that was depressing

Phill

Postby Phill » Mon Jul 13, 2009 7:59 am UTC

ArgonV wrote:Well, that was depressing

It was the best Torchwood yet. (Although it didn't have much to improve on, to be fair). As a friend of mine said, it was the Torchwood that I wanted... and now that we've had it I'm not sure that I wanted it!

Spoiler:
I think it works quite well as an indictment of human nature - the 456 as the bullies demanding what they want are a bit like the west, taking the world's resources and making unreasonable demands. It's more about monsters than about aliens, and the sad fact is that the biggest monsters are us :(

RTD is a strange writer - seems to polarise the differences in human nature: the potential to be very good, and the potential to be very bad. He doesn't seem to do many characters which are a bit of both!

sugarhyped

Postby sugarhyped » Mon Jul 13, 2009 11:17 pm UTC

okay i actually watched all the episodes and questions:
Spoiler:
was that the series finale?
was it really necessary to kill Ianto if it was the finale? if it wasn't, i can understand his character not returning. if it was the finale then rtd just sucks.

i think russel davies just tries to make people cry. i didnt during this but still...
Spoiler:
...jacks grandson. i got sad for his daughter.
and i wish they had released those tapes just to be malicious.

anyways i think that was the best season of torchwood. (although as others have said they werent hard to top)

i feel bad for gwen when she talks to iantos family. and as far as Davies doing commentaries on humanity I liked midnight better... still good stuff though. i may actually pay to own this season when it comes out. ill see later.
Last edited by sugarhyped on Tue Aug 25, 2009 3:04 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Gellert1984

Postby Gellert1984 » Thu Jul 16, 2009 10:51 am UTC

So who else what'll happen next is:-

Spoiler:
Spoilered in case i give away something

Gwen, the military chick with no name and Decker the brown coated techie will form a new torchwood also we'll have another series or maybe TV movies 'The adventures of Captain Jack' in which our hero will visit many worlds that look alot like earth, all inexplicably populated by very humanish looking aliens and sleep with them
The only time I question the right to Free Speech is when I watch Fox News, probably due to the fact that I don't think they really believe in it. -Elisa Scaldaferri

ameretrifle
Vera

Postby ameretrifle » Mon Aug 03, 2009 10:18 am UTC

Kinda late, I know, but I hadn't intended to watch Children of Earth at all. I mean, everyone had said it was the best Torchwood ever, but a) I have a history of disagreeing with DW fans on this sort of thing (see: everything past the new series 1), and b) "best Torchwood ever" is not a particularly descriptive phrase. Like people have mentioned, that doesn't imply much more than "not actually painful". So I was shocked to learn that not only was it not bad, it was actually quite excellent. It was a bit disorientating for the first hour or so-- "it's like Torchwood, and it's got all the same characters, but... it doesn't suck. What? What's going on here?!" I didn't think it was possible, and I am glad to admit I was wrong.

Still not gonna watch Doctor Who, though. :D For one thing, I suspect they haven't got over their Doctor-as-Magic-Space-Jesus idea, given that brief reference at the beginning of day 5...
Spoiler:
You can chalk that one up to despair, though, I suppose. Not to mention "Wow, your government is so awful I want nothing to do with you, you're on your own" would make him Magic Space Douchebag Jesus... which... doesn't seem like all that inaccurate a description to, er, certain lunatics over here. (I don't want to poke any hornets' nests today...)

Also, why are these shows trying to make me a fan of the second amendment? I'm damn liberal, but it's hard to watch day 5 without thinking how many people are getting shot in America. We've got a lot of paranoid people with guns... perhaps especially in the areas likely to be included in that expendable ten percent. Between this and the Master's takeover, I keep flashing back to the time my grandfather started showing us his guns... they were secreted all over the place, a good five or six of them, all makes and models... and he's the sort who doesn't believe Obama was born in the US. "Innoculations" would not fly. If my cousin were that age, he'd be at home behind a shotgun, and woe betide the poor bastards sent to the middle of nowhere to fetch him.

Also, "getting his bitch ass shot by Jack" is rapidly moving up to match "crucifixion" in my mental list of "Ways Ten is Likely to Die". I mean, seriously. Abandoning him in the middle of nowhere didn't do it. Ignoring him for a couple of centuries didn't do it. Getting him tortured for a year by the Master didn't do it. But at some point, Jack's going to wonder how this little drama played out in Britain's Golden Age, when Harriet Jones wasn't ousted for blowing up a ship for crimes very like this. And at some point, you'd think he's going to snap. I mean, damn. If anyone's got cause to flip out and kill him, it's Jack. (i thought he should've done it at the end of S3 to be honest)

But, I'm a little bloodthirsty sometimes-- I was also kind of hoping he'd shoot that old bureaucrat bastard at the end of day 5 just to make a point. "Being a heartless, conniving coward has kept you your job for forty years, huh? See how it does you the next four minutes." BANG. Instant karma. I mean, at that point, why not? (Except murder is bad, yes.)

And I also think they should've released the tapes... at least to warn people about what was happening. Granted, that'd increase the chance of resistance and death, but it would also increase the chance of successful resistance, and isn't that something that you should let the people decide? And the government would be screwed, but why protect them from the fate they brought on themselves? They earned it, and thoroughly.

sugarhyped

Postby sugarhyped » Mon Aug 03, 2009 2:43 pm UTC

^ i was thinking the same thing about the 2nd amendment...

animeHrmIne

Postby animeHrmIne » Tue Aug 04, 2009 7:04 pm UTC

I was spoiled for Day 4, and it kind of ruined the effect. And I'm getting annoyed with RTD's writing. Still

Spoiler:
I liked the fact that Jack ran away like a coward. He's not really good at the whole hero thing, and I enjoy that. First time around, he gives them the children, to save the planet. Second time, he kills his grandson, to save the planet. He's not the Doctor, he can't wave around his magic wand sonic screwdriver and everything is better. And when the going gets tough, he runs away. Partially, I suppose, so that he dosen't make he same mistakes. But he's still running away from his problems.

Which is just like the Doctor, only Jack knows and admits he's running away. The Doctor saves the planet and grins and gets into his TARDIS. Jack stays, sees the havoc and destruction, and gets the hell out before he's blamed. Bad things actually happen in Torchwood, like in Small Worlds, Adrift, and Exit Wounds.

In other news, I can't wait for Waters of Mars, just because I can't wait for more Doctor Who. Because WoM is one step closer to no more RTD, and a new Doctor and Companion (I have a short attention span. I need shiny new things, or I lose interest.)
I wanted to see the universe, so I stole a Time Lord and ran away. And you were the only one mad enough.
Biting's excellent! It's like kissing, only there's a winner.
-Sexy

Cytoplasm

Postby Cytoplasm » Tue Aug 04, 2009 7:12 pm UTC

animeHrmIne wrote:I was spoiled for Day 4, and it kind of ruined the effect. And I'm getting annoyed with RTD's writing.

I wasn't able to watch this since my mom decided I didn't need to. So much for recording it..

So, BBCAmerica comercials said that the new season started Aug. 2nd..I still haven't seen any new Doctor Who episodes, and I do want to see what the 11th Doctor is like.
¡No tengo miedo a fantasmas!

Spoiler:
Cytoplasm: I have catoragized some of my family into lolcats.
Felstaff: For a drudging Thursday afternoon, that level of cuteness has really made my day. Can... Can I keep you?

Felstaff wrote:
Cytoplasm wrote:shannonigans

<3

animeHrmIne

Postby animeHrmIne » Tue Aug 04, 2009 10:16 pm UTC

Huh? I haven't seen anything like that on BBCAmerica. They're doing a year of post-fourth-season specials (Christmas '08 was "The Next Doctor", Easter was "Planet of the Dead", November is "Waters of Mars", and then there's a Christmas and New Year's double-episode thing).

Not really spoilers but spoilered anyway concerning Christmas and New Year's:
Spoiler:
And according to IMDb, Christmas/NY will feature Midshipman Frame, Lucy Saxon, the Master, Captain Jack, Donna, Sylvia, and Wilf. As in, people who are dead or can't be contacted. He already ended the season with a HUGECROSSOVEREXTRAVAGANZA, and now he's either having the Doctor on a freaky memory trip, or bringing people back to life. Either way, he's overstepping again. At least Euros Lyn is directing. I love his stuff.
I wanted to see the universe, so I stole a Time Lord and ran away. And you were the only one mad enough.
-Sexy

steewi

Postby steewi » Wed Aug 05, 2009 5:05 am UTC

animeHrmIne wrote:Huh? I haven't seen anything like that on BBCAmerica. They're doing a year of post-fourth-season specials (Christmas '08 was "The Next Doctor", Easter was "Planet of the Dead", November is "Waters of Mars", and then there's a Christmas and New Year's double-episode thing).

Not really spoilers but spoilered anyway concerning Christmas and New Year's:
Spoiler:
And according to IMDb, Christmas/NY will feature Midshipman Frame, Lucy Saxon, the Master, Captain Jack, Donna, Sylvia, and Wilf. As in, people who are dead or can't be contacted. He already ended the season with a HUGECROSSOVEREXTRAVAGANZA, and now he's either having the Doctor on a freaky memory trip, or bringing people back to life. Either way, he's overstepping again. At least Euros Lyn is directing. I love his stuff.

Ah, but did you notice
Spoiler:
who was going to be playing the Master? It was more than one person listed, and Oh me yarm Oh awesomesauce choice!

Cytoplasm

Postby Cytoplasm » Wed Aug 05, 2009 4:43 pm UTC

Ugh..I am so confused now. What about this guy?

Spoiler:

Spoiler:
Felstaff: For a drudging Thursday afternoon, that level of cuteness has really made my day. Can... Can I keep you?

Felstaff wrote:

<3

animeHrmIne

Postby animeHrmIne » Wed Aug 05, 2009 5:43 pm UTC

I don't consider it a spoiler if BBC has it on it's site, but if you don't even want to know these things, don't read the rest of the post.

Spoiler:
Matt Smith isn't the Doctor until New Years, that's the first time he appears. Probably like Eccleston turned into Tennant in Parting of the Ways. They're filming season 5 right now. The companion is Karen Gillan, the girl in my av.

ETA:
steewi wrote:Ah, but did you notice
Spoiler:
who was going to be playing the Master? It was more than one person listed, and Oh me yarm Oh awesomesauce choice!

I could only find one. Who besides
Spoiler:
John Simm, who is freaking amazing

Sorry. The spoiler tags get on my nerves for some reason. I think it's the fact that my pointer gets stuck sometimes.
Last edited by animeHrmIne on Wed Aug 05, 2009 5:51 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
-Sexy

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.
Location: UK/[St. Kitts and] Nevis Occasionally, I migrate to the US for a bit

Postby Angua » Wed Aug 05, 2009 5:46 pm UTC

Could you please just put that in a spoiler next time? That blue is extremely hard to read.
Crabtree's bludgeon: “no set of mutually inconsistent observations can exist for which some human intellect cannot conceive a coherent explanation, however complicated”
GNU Terry Pratchett

Cytoplasm

Postby Cytoplasm » Wed Aug 05, 2009 5:50 pm UTC

animeHrmIne wrote:I don't consider it a spoiler if BBC has it on it's site, but if you don't even wan't to know these things, don't read the rest of the post.

I know, that's fine. When I randomly read on some site that David Tennant was leaving, it made me sad.

Random but, I remember my very first Doctor Who episode: Girl in the fire place.
I didn't know much about Doctor Who then but I found it strangly addicting and cheesy.

Spoiler:

Felstaff wrote:

<3

animeHrmIne

Postby animeHrmIne » Wed Aug 05, 2009 5:57 pm UTC

I kinda glanced at Poison sky and Partners in Crime on Sci Fi, but my first Who was when my friend had a "Who Fest" at her house. Partners in Crime and the last six of season four (not including specials).

I'm the one that started watching Torchwood, so I have the TorchwoodFests at my house. Last one was 9 hours, best of seasons one and two (as in, Everything Changes for backstory, Countrycide, and most of season two).
-Sexy

steewi

Postby steewi » Thu Aug 06, 2009 1:46 am UTC

animeHrmIne wrote:ETA:
steewi wrote:Ah, but did you notice
Spoiler:

I could only find one. Who besides
Spoiler:
John Simm, who is freaking amazing

Oh, wait, it's been corrected. Before, they had
Spoiler:
Timothy Dalton listed as The Master, but now he's listed as Timelord Chancellor. I guess we're going to be getting some Gallifrey history of the Time War.

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Fri Aug 07, 2009 1:12 pm UTC

Off topic: you know in the Master episodes, the Doctor fused the co-ordinates of the TARDIS so that he could only go back and forth between the end of the universe and present day Earth. D said it was permanent. So how come he can travel where he likes now that he has it back?

M is depicted as being at least as clever as D. If M can't fix it, why can D?
What would Baron Harkonnen do?

netcrusher88

Postby netcrusher88 » Fri Aug 07, 2009 3:21 pm UTC

SlyReaper wrote:M is depicted as being at least as clever as D. If M can't fix it, why can D?

My understanding is TARDISes are living creatures of a kind and become attuned to their owner and vice versa. I wouldn't be surprised if the TARDIS was in fact able to heal/repair itself, it just didn't want to.
Sexothermic
I have only ever made one prayer to God, a very short one: "O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous." And God granted it. -Voltaire
They said we would never have a black president until Swine Flu. -Gears

Gellert1984

Postby Gellert1984 » Sat Aug 08, 2009 7:02 am UTC

SlyReaper wrote:Off topic: you know in the Master episodes, the Doctor fused the co-ordinates of the TARDIS so that he could only go back and forth between the end of the universe and present day Earth. D said it was permanent. So how come he can travel where he likes now that he has it back?

Cos the script says so.
The only time I question the right to Free Speech is when I watch Fox News, probably due to the fact that I don't think they really believe in it. -Elisa Scaldaferri

cathrl

Postby cathrl » Sat Aug 08, 2009 10:27 am UTC

Phill wrote:
It was the best Torchwood yet. (Although it didn't have much to improve on, to be fair). As a friend of mine said, it was the Torchwood that I wanted... and now that we've had it I'm not sure that I wanted it!

I've been away and only just caught up on my video-watching. This says it all for me. The last time I cried in a Doctor Who franchise episode was when Adric died. (Yes, I'm old - that was probably 25 years ago). Fantastic mini-series.

So, given that RTD can write like that, why does he spend most of the time doing deus ex machina and "so they all lived happily ever after"? This was so much better, that we spent a while trying to find who his co-authors were. (None, for day 5).

animeHrmIne

Postby animeHrmIne » Sat Aug 08, 2009 8:06 pm UTC

cathrl wrote:I've been away and only just caught up on my video-watching. This says it all for me. The last time I cried in a Doctor Who franchise episode was when Adric died. (Yes, I'm old - that was probably 25 years ago). Fantastic mini-series.

So, given that RTD can write like that, why does he spend most of the time doing deus ex machina and "so they all lived happily ever after"? This was so much better, that we spent a while trying to find who his co-authors were. (None, for day 5).

Maybe he thinks that he can't get away with stuff like that on Doctor Who because it's a family show, but Torchwood is geared toward an adult audience? Which is a lame excuse.

Still, his writing has been getting progressively weaker (minus things like Midnight). I think it's good that we're getting a new head writer and a new Doctor (If Moffat had come after season 2, he could have worked with Ten, but RTD has molded him so much, he's become way too big.)
-Sexy

phone74663

Postby phone74663 » Wed Aug 12, 2009 7:29 am UTC

All that happened in Torchwood and I missed it, awe. I love the show Doctor Who. The new series (2005 episodes) introduced me to the programme, but it never got me interested. I was surprised to find out that the show had originally aired from 1963 and went on for another 33 years with eight actors as one character. After that I never stopped on my quest to watch every single episode. I started with doctor number five.

Now that I know so much, the new series started to look different and insane.

Spoiler:
I was always bothered that there isn’t any other Time-lords present in the new series. To me it seemed like a terrible attempt by RTD to make the Doctor into this always sad and whinny person (emo). I liked the idea, but this is where the whole premise just turns to crap: If they're race of TIME-TRAVELLING researches and eccentrics, why haven't we seen any from the past? I mean, the Doctor of the 1960's managed to travel to the 21st century and back (while picking up a new companion, Zoe Heriot), without bumping into any time dilemma or retcon firewall. If he has the ability to travel to when ever he please why can't other Time-lords do the same? Also, I just find it extremely hard to believe that the whole race of Gallifrey was present for her destruction and their genocide (BY THE DALEKS, EVEN!) Just how the hell does that make sense?

And why does the current Doctor always gets moody and sad whenever people die around him, when he fully has the ability to stop said tragedy? For example, the episode "Planet of the Dead" had a guy disintegrated when he attempted to escape the world via the ominous wormhole. You mean to tell me a young (in body) and fit alien couldn't just grab or hinder a FAT BUS DRIVER RUNNING ON SAND from ending his life. All he did was just stand, with his hand in his pockets and watch while muttering an unenthusiastic "no, don't do that, you might get hurt".

And what's with all the hero worship and the Doctor = god issue?! if he so much as smile, all the girls (except Donna, my fav) around the world go cuckoo for his cocoa puffs! And he's very proud of it too; I thought he was a married man. If the Earth so much as tries to defend ourselves; he swiftly jumps into action, slap our wrists, takes the steering wheel and proclaim "YOU'RE DOING IT WRONG!" Also the "If the Doctor thinks differently to your idea, YOU'RE WRONG" law is too much. He got a woman (Harriet Jones) sacked from her successful career just because of a disagreement. The man can't even make a mistake to help save his lives.

If I see another episode with so much as a reference to Rose, so help me God, I am going to.....

I enjoy being the only Jamaican Doctor Who fan of both the classics and new series, in my school (sometimes). My favourite Doctors are Third, Fifth, Sixth and Seventh.
Last edited by phone74663 on Wed Aug 12, 2009 8:30 pm UTC, edited 3 times in total.

Mother Superior
Better than tea

Postby Mother Superior » Wed Aug 12, 2009 10:32 am UTC

Not Fourth? Really?

Well said, btw.
My crappy creepy? Crabby? My crabby blog.
"She bore also the fruitless deep with his raging swell, Pontus, without sweet union of love."
- Hesiod, Theogony

phone74663

Postby phone74663 » Wed Aug 12, 2009 6:47 pm UTC

Fourth was great, but to me he's kinda "meh".

Yuri2356

Postby Yuri2356 » Thu Aug 13, 2009 12:50 pm UTC

SlyReaper wrote:Off topic: you know in the Master episodes, the Doctor fused the co-ordinates of the TARDIS so that he could only go back and forth between the end of the universe and present day Earth. D said it was permanent. So how come he can travel where he likes now that he has it back?

The Doc had to completely rebuild the core mechanisms of the TARDIS to get her working again, and even then it almost didn't work and punch a Belgium-sized hole in space-time.We have no Idea exactly how long this took, since he had no companion with him at the time and nothing happened during the repairs. But he had time to do that because he was going back to his life of adventuring and had nothing to get in his was until then.

The Master, on the other hand, only needed the TARDIS to escape the end of the universe, and end up somewhere that he could begin hatching nefarious schemes. Earth would do for that, so he just quickly salvaged enough to assemble the paradox machine, then tossed in the closet so he could get on with the villainy.

Joeldi

Postby Joeldi » Sat Aug 22, 2009 11:44 am UTC

After watching most of the first series of Torchwood, I've decided that while as a whole, it is a load of bollocks, only a few individual episodes are really terrible, and most would work alright if they were standalone. The problem is, as someone said earlier in the thread, that like half of every single episode is people banging on about people banging on. One episode of this sort of thing is okay. An entire series that is MEANT to be about time travel and aliens is not.
I already have a hate thread. Necromancy > redundancy here, so post there.

roc314 wrote:America is a police state that communicates in txt speak...

"i hav teh dissentors brb""¡This cheese is burning me! u pwnd them bff""thx ur cool 2"

Nath

Postby Nath » Sat Aug 22, 2009 12:03 pm UTC

Joeldi wrote:After watching most of the first series of Torchwood, I've decided that while as a whole, it is a load of bollocks, only a few individual episodes are really terrible, and most would work alright if they were standalone. The problem is, as someone said earlier in the thread, that like half of every single episode is people banging on about people banging on. One episode of this sort of thing is okay. An entire series that is MEANT to be about time travel and aliens is not.

I've seen most of Torchwood series one as well, and I'm underwhelmed. The monsters of the week are pretty unoriginal, the plots are riddled with holes, and the attempts at profundity fall flat. In most episodes, I see what they're trying to do; they just don't manage to pull it off. Some of the cast -- the guys playing Jack and Owen, in particular -- are amazingly bad, though the Jack Harkness character works sometimes anyway.

I'll probably watch until the end of the season, because I've quite enjoyed the new Doctor Who. But I don't know whether it's worth going through series two. I think the larger-than-life, slightly incoherent stories that Russell T Davies knows how to tell work a lot better in a show like Doctor Who, which doesn't really present itself as taking place in the real world.

animeHrmIne

Postby animeHrmIne » Sat Aug 22, 2009 3:46 pm UTC

Oh, gods, if you hate Torchwood now, DO NOT finish the first season. There was one good episode first season, and that was Countrycide. That's it. The finale is terrible. DO NOT WATCH IT. Skip to season 2. Watch Kiss Kiss Bang Bang. Watch Adam. If you like Martha, watch Reset. Watch Fragments, that one's great. And I love the ending in Exit Wounds. Season one is definitely only for fangirls, not fanboys*. As I am both, I enjoyed watching S1. But I definitely DO NOT recommend finishing it.

*Definitions. Fangirls are people who are excited about every aspect of a character or actor. Fanboys are people who are excited by continuity and in-jokes and plot. To put it simply, You fangirl over the Doctor, you fanboy over the Bad Wolf that's everywhere.
-Sexy

kristacanton

Postby kristacanton » Sat Aug 22, 2009 7:41 pm UTC

I liked Last of the Time Lords, among others.

It took me all of season 2 and most of season 3 to get used to David Tennant's Doctor. Then I watched those three episodes at the end of Season 3 and started liking the Doctor when
Spoiler:
he becomes the proper age again, and then the Master dies.

Nath

Postby Nath » Sun Aug 23, 2009 1:16 am UTC

animeHrmIne wrote:Oh, gods, if you hate Torchwood now, DO NOT finish the first season. There was one good episode first season, and that was Countrycide. That's it. The finale is terrible. DO NOT WATCH IT. Skip to season 2. Watch Kiss Kiss Bang Bang. Watch Adam. If you like Martha, watch Reset. Watch Fragments, that one's great. And I love the ending in Exit Wounds. Season one is definitely only for fangirls, not fanboys*. As I am both, I enjoyed watching S1. But I definitely DO NOT recommend finishing it.

Hm. Thanks for the heads up.

Phill

Postby Phill » Mon Aug 24, 2009 7:59 am UTC

Nath wrote:I've seen most of Torchwood series one as well, and I'm underwhelmed. The monsters of the week are pretty unoriginal, the plots are riddled with holes, and the attempts at profundity fall flat. In most episodes, I see what they're trying to do; they just don't manage to pull it off. Some of the cast -- the guys playing Jack and Owen, in particular -- are amazingly bad, though the Jack Harkness character works sometimes anyway.

I'll probably watch until the end of the season, because I've quite enjoyed the new Doctor Who. But I don't know whether it's worth going through series two. I think the larger-than-life, slightly incoherent stories that Russell T Davies knows how to tell work a lot better in a show like Doctor Who, which doesn't really present itself as taking place in the real world.

Torchwood Series One is, to put it charitably, mind-numbingly terrible. The finale was annoying though - the penultimate episode was great. The last episode was... bollocks. The 'monster' they had looked like it came from Monty Python (if you haven't seen it that's probably not worth explaining).

I personally didn't like Countrycide (well, it was written by Chris Chibnall after all - as was the last episode I think) but in retrospect it wasn't half as bad as some of the other rubbish they had.

Series Two was much better - MUCH better. Still plenty of plot holes and the like but I enjoyed watching it more.

"Children of Earth" (the latest one) is probably the best TV the BBC has produced this year. This time last year I would have laughed at the thought of saying that about a Torchwood series (or mini-series), but it really impressed me. So definitely watch that, even if you don't watch all of series 2 :)

animeHrmIne

Postby animeHrmIne » Mon Aug 24, 2009 9:32 am UTC

Yes, but Chris Chibnall writes a ton for Torchwood, and he produces. He also did Fragments and Exit Wounds, and Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang (Gods, James Marsters is freaking edible in those episodes.) The first season finale might have been terrible, but I cried at the second season, and I knew what was going to happen (ZOMG).

Also, according to Wikipedia, there's going to be a fourth season. Who else is scared to death by this prospect?
-Sexy

steewi

Postby steewi » Tue Aug 25, 2009 1:09 am UTC

animeHrmIne wrote:Also, according to Wikipedia, there's going to be a fourth season. Who else is scared to death by this prospect?

As much as I'm a fanboy(girl?), it worries me a lot. What can they do? I'll give it a go, of course, but I am skeptical.

animeHrmIne

Postby animeHrmIne » Tue Aug 25, 2009 2:36 am UTC

steewi wrote:
animeHrmIne wrote:Also, according to Wikipedia, there's going to be a fourth season. Who else is scared to death by this prospect?

As much as I'm a fanboy(girl?), it worries me a lot. What can they do? I'll give it a go, of course, but I am skeptical.

I think they might do something with Torchwood 4 (the missing one). But, I wanted Torchwood 4 to be like Johnson and the organisation, i.e. anti-heroes.
-Sexy

Return to “Movies and TV Shows”