Perfect Moments In Music

It's only cool if no one's heard of it.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Lleu

Re: Perfect Moments In Music

Postby Lleu » Fri Apr 17, 2009 9:19 pm UTC

Das Rheingold by Wagner, when Alberich takes the gold and a hideous Rheingold leitmotif plays. Also at the end of scene 1 where the Ring motif turns into the Walhalla motif.

humectant

Postby humectant » Sat Apr 18, 2009 12:43 am UTC

In no particular order:

Claude Debussy - Toccata (pour le piano) When, near the very end (last 30 seconds-ish), after tons of build up, the upper register is doing very active arpeggios and the mid register is just going insane with heavy chords. Miraculous.

Shpongle - Levitation Nation (Nothing Lasts...) The acoustic guitar solo. Psychedelic music has never used an acoustic instrument better.

BT - The Antikythera Mechanism (This Binary Universe) When the orchestra arrives the second time, cut up and pieced together quasi-erratically. The "BT stutter" executed perfectly. I'm floored every time I hear it.

insom

Postby insom » Sun Apr 19, 2009 2:02 am UTC

Goosebump generators:

- Summer by Vivaldi (part of the four seasons) Especially the presto part, but for the whole picture you should listen to the allegro and adagio parts too. This is what storms and hurricanes would sound like if they were music.

- Jungle strut by Santana. The piece is the equivalent of strapping jetfigter grade engines to the back of your car and blasting away on a desert highway.

- Shine on you crazy diamond I-V by Pink Floyd. About 3.55 when the music goes from intro, the guitar starts and the drums kick in.

- Sheep also P.F. When the drawn out "...eeee..."'s are morphed into square/sawtooth waves.

A bit tangential, but in the book(!) Soul Music by Terry Pratchett, which partially is about a band, the preparations up to the start of one of their concerts is described and then that substory is ended just as they enter the scene with "...and then they played" (complete with italics). The funny thing is that I reacted exactly as if I actually had heard an excellent piece of music, without the music being described in any way...

Crap -it is 04.02 curse you forum! (However it may help explain current state of grammar punctuation and word choice)
Normal cynics think they are realists. Hardcore cynics know they are optimists.
Woo I draw stuff - how incredibly awesome

rubber314chicken

Postby rubber314chicken » Sun Apr 19, 2009 8:41 pm UTC

adding some more:

Satch squeals- like in "Surfing With the Alien", a high pinch harmonic dive bomb is awesome.

Forsaken (Dream Theater) - after the second verse when it all cuts out and then its just the end of a lyric. Then it all comes back in. Same with with any kinda pause like that.
Official Thread-Jacker

SecondTalon wrote:Semen! I said semen! tee hee!

Clumpy

Postby Clumpy » Mon Apr 20, 2009 1:30 am UTC

Great openings really do it for me:

From the moment the guitars and drums start in London Calling until the end of the album.
Same goes for the seagulls and guitar in Mr. Bungle's California. Just sublime openings.

mysticRight

Postby mysticRight » Mon Apr 20, 2009 2:18 pm UTC

insom wrote:
- Shine on you crazy diamond I-V by Pink Floyd. About 3.55 when the music goes from intro, the guitar starts and the drums kick in.

That one is the epitome of a perfect moment in music. Pink Floyd does it so well. Another one that comes to mind is in Comfortably Numb around 4:30 when the last guitar solo starts, which in my opinion is one of the greatest guitar solos in the history of music.

SirMustapha

Postby SirMustapha » Mon Apr 20, 2009 5:04 pm UTC

Listening to Cocteau Twins right now reminded of THE perfect moment in their catalogue, which is the very, very, very beginning of the title track of Heaven or Las Vegas; it just seems like they're able to set up THE ENTIRE mood of the song with a few milliseconds of a guitar note. U2 achieved almost the same level of brilliance on Pride. Still by Cocteau Twins, Carolyn's Fingers is another example of a chillingly beautiful intro.

Also, the Flaming Lips. The modulation, augmented by the sound of the spaceship taking off on They Punctured my Yolk, gives me chills just thinking about it.

EKeric13

Postby EKeric13 » Tue Apr 21, 2009 4:54 am UTC

Well of course there is Sonic youth's teenage riot, when it stops saying sweet desire and the guitar comes in.
Radiohead's Motion Picture Sound when it stops saying I think your crazy and the rainbows hit you at 1:40.
Take me out by Ferdinand, and I think we all know what I am talking about.
I forget where but somewhere in Staralfur by sigur ros
the part in Radiohead's Reckoner when the violin hits.
Space oddity by David Bowie when the rocket takes flight.
Tabula Rasa by bluedawn at about a minute in always gives me the shivers
Pax by Loro's breaks down about half way through, which is really good.
Family tree by TV on the radio. I'm not sure where, but I think where the violin hits.
at about 2:50 in Lip by Dear Cloud is really, really good, but that song has a lot of really, really good parts
A little after 4:00 in Siam by Dear cloud the song breaks down from a giant build up.
Heroin by the Velvet Underground has the perfect drum beats ever.
In tangled by the black skirts at about 3:15 it gets good and breaks down.
In maps, the "they don't love like I love you" is perfect.
The guitar part in aerodynamic is awesome, if not perfect. Not as good as it used to be.
Like all of Rebellion (lies) by Arcade Fire is perfect. Same goes for neighborhood 1
New Born by Muse has that one perfect part after the piano ends and the guitar picks in.
Holland, 1945 has that "2, 1234" thing
Mr. Blue Sky by ELO has that part at about 3:45 where you think it is over but it is not. Its not perfect but it is wildly entertaining
Can't Take My Eyes Off Of You by Andy Williams has the snapping part, that is really catchy
In Reptilia by the Strokes is just gets crazy like half way through
And lastly (or at least for what I remember) in Roads by Portishead there is a moment before about 3:20 that is perfect.

Yeah, music is pretty good

TheAmazingRando

Postby TheAmazingRando » Tue Apr 21, 2009 6:25 am UTC

Words, by Low, when Alan sings "screeeeeeams." Gives me shivers every time.

airplanespaceship3

Postby airplanespaceship3 » Tue Apr 21, 2009 7:03 am UTC

Perfect Moments in Bach:

Passacaglia and Fugue in c Minor (BWV582); the Neapolitan chord a little less than halfway into the Passacaglia sends chills up my spine.
"St. Anne" Prelude and Fugue in E-flat Major (BWV552); the chromatic motif towards the second half of the Prelude is epic.
The Adagio from the Toccata, Adagio, and Fugue in C Major (BWV564); the Grave section is the epitome of beauty in dissonance.
The "Little" Fugue in g Minor (BWV578); when the subject returns in the bass voice at the end.
The entire Allegro from the Double Concerto in d Minor (BWV1043); it is intensity incarnate.
The second Minuet from the G Major Cellosuite (BWV1007); the most expressive of single-line music.
In the Goldberg Variations (BWV988); when the Aria returns after 30 variations, there's a real sense of having gone through an epic journey and returned home.

Not to say the rest of Bach isn't perfect, but these selections are some of the best of the best.
"What's 2+2?"
"What do you want it to be?"

maycelestia

Postby maycelestia » Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:20 am UTC

Cheap pop it may be, but the moment (about 2:11) in Take On Me by A-Ha where almost everything but the catchy synth (?) part stops for two bars gets me every time.

Ekeda

Postby Ekeda » Wed May 06, 2009 5:10 am UTC

The second and final verses of 'Another One Bites the Dust' by Queen.
Freddie Mercury's singing + Brian May's kickass guitar licks = Guarenteed eargasm.

dedalus

Postby dedalus » Fri May 08, 2009 1:43 pm UTC

Man... heaps of good ones have already been posted, lets see what's left

First and foremost, Viorar vel til Loftarasa by Sigur Ros. at about the 1:50 mark through to 2:20 when the bass kicks in, utterly fantastic. Plenty more throughout the song. Whoever it was that wanted Sigur Ros, this and track 8 of the untitled album are 2 of the most amazing tracks ever written. I'd throw in the bit about poppalagio, but it's been done already.

Honestly, about Sigur Ros I could name like 20 other moments. Same with Explosions in the Sky, where the exact moment I'd pick has been taken... Your Hand in Mine at the 3:04 mark when the drums kick in proper, and then again at the 3:30 and 3:55 mark.

Godspeed You Black Emperor's The Dead Flag Blues, at the 2:35 mark where the strings section slows down and the lyrics 'You grabbed my hand, and we fell into it, like a daydream, or a fever'... That song is the most devastating piece I have ever heard.

Christmas Steps by Mogwai, from the 3:14 mark when the bass cuts out, the build-up there through to when it cuts back in at 3:50, and through there till the crescendo at 4:40.

Zero-Sum by NiN, right where the piano kicks in for the chorus at 1:44.

Hello, Helicopter by OSI when the second verse kicks in at 1:45 with the awesome drumbeat...

Stab City by As Tall As Lions, 1:30 mark, the instruments kick out for about a second, then the distorted guitar kicks in and it is awesome.

Faraway by Apocalyptica (the one without vocals), at the 3 minute mark where the drums kick in and the cello turns epic.

Russia on Ice by Porcupine Tree, at the 6:16 mark, where Steven Wilson sings 'I see the whole thing come down'

Buying New Soul by Porcupine Tree, at 1:45 where the cello cuts in to back up the guitar, and again when the chorus starts... Could probably name another 20 PT moments...

Fake Plastic Trees by Radiohead, at 3:27 when everything cuts back to the guitar and the chorus.

Dryad of the Woods by Pain of Salvation, at 2:54 where the guitar solo starts.

Vocari Dei by Pain of Salvation... actually the entire bloody song there... but the 2:57 mark where it cuts back a bit and the japanese cuts in. <<< LISTEN TO THAT SONG!

Weak and Powerless by A Perfect Circle at the 18 second mark when the lyrics and everything else kicks in

Atom Heart Mother by Floyd, at the 19:12 mark when he calls 'silence in the studio' and the brass band kicks in.

Speak to me/Breathe by Floyd, 1:16 mark, after the girl screams and the music starts. Best album beginning EVER

Shine on you Crazy Diamond by Floyd, at the 3:55 mark when the guitar kicks in, and again at 4:26-4:42 when everything else kicks in, and again when the guitar solos... actually feck it... the entire damn song.

Jeez that's a lot of posting. Sorry for the wall of text here but I couldn't resist.
doogly wrote:Oh yea, obviously they wouldn't know Griffiths from Sakurai if I were throwing them at them.

insom

Postby insom » Tue May 12, 2009 6:43 pm UTC

I'll have to append to my previous statement, in techno/electronic music (can't identify any certain song, much of what I have are unidentified mixes) sometimes a small set of notes/beats are repeated during a buildup and then during the climax (| whatever, music terminology is not my thing) some filter parameters (Q and|or cutoff?) are changed together with a subtle modification of the melody, sometimes a single note. If done "correctly"; instant goosebumps.
Normal cynics think they are realists. Hardcore cynics know they are optimists.
Woo I draw stuff - how incredibly awesome

canoemoose

Postby canoemoose » Tue May 12, 2009 7:29 pm UTC

God, there are quite a few I can think of...

First off, got to agree with people who said Tubular Bells. Whole CD is full of awesomeness. And then, with Tubular Bells 2, Mike Oldfield did it again! Woot!

Equinoxe also, by Jean Michel Jarre. Pure awesome.

More "mainstream":
Glass Of Water by Coldplay. Actually, most of Viva la Vida/Prospekt's March is good, but when the huge wall of guitar cuts in, especially for the first time, it's like having your head crammed full of awesome, in a good way. One of the first times I heard it I was talking to a friend, and I literally just stopped talking mid word and sat as if in a trance. He said later he thought I'd had a heart attack or something.

Keep Holding On By Avril Lavigne, on her Girlfriend album. The whole song just seems to have a mellow, raw edge to it that gets me every time.

David Bowie, Life On Mars?, when the chorusy bit cuts in for the first time, it's just a musical racket that ought sound awful, but somehow it works.

Most DIre Straits songs at some point. God, Mark Knopfler is good! (Understatement of the century).

Also, I agree with the Forumite above who nominated Handlebars by Flobots. I also hate rap with a passion but that song is just awesome.

Classical:
J.S. Bach's Toccata and Fugue in D minor, this was mentioned above but the bit where it all cuts off except for one note, at the transition from the Toccata to the Fugue.

Widor's Toccata, the ascending arpeggio (is it? I've never tried to work it out) right at the end.
22/Male/Female/Single/Yep
(Age/Gender/Interested in/Status/Don't you hate people who just jump on the bandwagon)

Windows 7, Server 2008R2, Ubuntu, Android, iOS user

mdx_stargoliath

Postby mdx_stargoliath » Tue May 12, 2009 8:03 pm UTC

All of Kashmir & No Quarter by Led Zeppelin

That entirety of both songs just screams awesome

The Riff Kick in on Metallicas one where The last two verses kick in

Darkness Imprisoning Me
All That I See
Absolute Horror
I Cannot Live
I Cannot Die
Trapped In Myself
Body My Holding Cell

Also notable mentions for Metallica

Master of Puppets when James screams "FIX ME!!!"
and
Disposable Heros "I WAS BORN FOR DYING!!!"

Hell even the chorus makes me insane

And for TMV the whole second half on the three minute marker of Goliath is just incredible

Never heard a man speak like this man before!! WATCH ME NOW!
Your life is your own and you are not governed by a predetermined destiny.

We Hope...

Aquilai

Postby Aquilai » Sun Jun 21, 2009 5:25 pm UTC

A not so often heard RHCP Minor Thing. The intro almost jumps straight into the song and then sustains the pace. Another good intro (by RHCP) is the more popular Snow. Then I would just say the rest of the popular RHCP songs (By the Way, Can't Stop, Under the Bridge, Zephyr Song...) with their great guitaring and vocals.

I also like the intro to People in Planes' Light for the Deadvine. Gets the rhythm going. Caught me the first time I heard it on House.

Jimmy Hendrix's All Along the Watchtower entire guitar parts. He literally made the song his own even though it is older.

scrt_rbt_agnt
douche bag

Postby scrt_rbt_agnt » Sun Jun 21, 2009 5:53 pm UTC

there's a great moment in modest mouse's "tundra/desert" where the slow part ends and isaac brock is all "ahhhhh SHIT" and the guitar gets all crazy.

also agree with EKeric13 about "teenage riot"
i am a poet and an artist

i don't wanna worry about dyin'
i just wanna worry about sunshine girls

philsov
Not a fan of Diane Kruger

Postby philsov » Mon Jun 22, 2009 4:16 pm UTC

A pretty good number Five Iron Frenzy's songs have those epic moments as part of their final verse. Biggest ones being "On Distant Shores" and "Dandelions".

The most perfect moment I can think of is the London Symphony Orchestra's version of Stairway to Heaven (off their British Invasion album, disc 1). When it gets to the "And as we wind on down the road" part, the music dies down just prior, then the trumpets flare up, the drums make a huge entrance, and then the whole orchestra just jams it up.
The time and seasons go on, but all the rhymes and reasons are wrong
I know I'll discover after its all said and done I should've been a nun.

Homo Electromagneticus

Postby Homo Electromagneticus » Tue Jun 23, 2009 12:21 am UTC

dedalus wrote:Godspeed You Black Emperor's The Dead Flag Blues, at the 2:35 mark where the strings section slows down and the lyrics 'You grabbed my hand, and we fell into it, like a daydream, or a fever'... That song is the most devastating piece I have ever heard.

You are cool. Post rock has a lot of "perfect" moments if you let yourself get into it, as you clearly have. It's too bad GY!BE is defunct, that would have been a great show to see. A Silver Mount Zion put on quite a concert, but a live rendition of some bits off F# A# ∞ would have been breathtaking.

Also, my "perfect moment" contribution:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tV83U4CDAx4&
Just as the sword can not cut itself,
nor the finger touch its own tip;
mind can not see itself.

McCaber

Postby McCaber » Wed Jun 24, 2009 4:15 am UTC

philsov wrote:A pretty good number Five Iron Frenzy's songs have those epic moments as part of their final verse. Biggest ones being "On Distant Shores" and "Dandelions".

This. On Distant Shores is completely amazing, and I love how they ended their last album with that verse. I was almost in tears when I heard it on their last concert recording.

Today I was listening to the Cowboy Bebop soundtracks, and I would like to nominate "Blue" when the voice and guitar steps in. Just awesome.
Spoiler:
hyperion wrote:
Hawknc wrote:Crap, that image is going to get a lot of use around here.

That's what SHE said!

She blinded me with Science!

nyeguy

Postby nyeguy » Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:46 am UTC

A couple I can think of offhand:

The part in Drunk Again (by Reel Big Fish) as it moves into the last (?) chorus and Scotty has the ripping, strained vocals on the first couple of lines.

When the synth comes in after the chorus of Everytime We Touch (Cascada). Especially perfect with four other people in a packed car.

During A Better Place, A Better Time (Streetlight Manifesto), during live performances. There is this part where they stop for probably 20 seconds, and the audience goes dead. Then, a single distorted guitar chord rings, the cymbal hits a measure of quarter notes, and the horns suddenly explode. Holy shit was that awesome.

The beginning of In The Stone (Earth, Wind & Fire). The entire beginning portion.

The half-time segment near the end of New York, New York (Frank Sinatra).

The last verse/bridge thing in Lies (Save Ferris), especially when the background stops for just a couple of beats as Powell holds a single vocal note.

Edit: The final chorus in For Good (from Wicked) where both vocalists sing different parts on top of each other, and the incredibly lead in on the word anymore.

hshenoy

Postby hshenoy » Sat Jul 11, 2009 11:54 pm UTC

EKeric13 wrote:I forget where but somewhere in Staralfur by sigur ros

This has to be the place where the song transitions into the drum beats after almost fading away into nothingness. Kinda gives you the impression that if you shut your eyes when you listen to this song and open it soon after in synchronicity with the coming in of the beats, your whole world could turn upside down (in a really good way). I'm waiting for that day, but yes, it is indeed a perfect moment in music.

une see
Is my girl

Postby une see » Sun Jul 12, 2009 8:15 pm UTC

I came up with too many things...and still not even skimming the surface.
Spoiler:
"New York I Love You But You're Bringing Me Down" by LCD Soundsystem- 3:21 when the drums kick in after the crescendo

"Sweet Disposition" by The Temper Trap- the repeating refrain that first comes on at 1:07- "a moment, a love, a dream, a laugh, a kiss, a cry, our rights, our wrongs"

"Love Me Dead" by Ludo- the entire chorus- "She moves through moonbeams slowly, she knows just how to hold me, and when her edges soften, her body is my coffin, I know she drains me slowly, she wears me down to bones in bed, must be the sign on my head, that says, oh...love me dead! Love me dead!"

"The Zephyr Song" by Red Hot Chili Peppers- the chorus- "Fly away on my zephyr, I feel it more than ever, and in this perfect weather, we'll find a place together" and then later "In the water with the scent of my emotion all the world can pass me by" (actually I'm not sure about the correctness of these lyrics, but I like my version)

"Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds" by the Beatles- the "lucy in the sky with diamonds" part :P

"Where is My Mind?" by The Pixies- the very beginning, before the lyrics come in...with the guitar and the haunting "oo-oooh"

"Unravel" by Bjork- the beginning (the "da da" part), later when she says "slowly unravels in a ball of yarn"

"On Call" by Kings of Leon- 0:37 when the guitar (bass?) riffs come on

"Dog Days Are Over" by Florence and the Machine- 2:56 when "run fast for your mother..." comes on after a slight pause

"Step it Up" by Little Brother ft. Dion- the beginning, with "you make me step my game up"

"Fernando" by ABBA- "There was something in the air that night, the stars were bright, Fernando"

Led Zeppelin: so many perfect songs...so hard to pick specific moments: "Tangerine"- 0:13 when the guitar comes in after a few seconds silence/ "The Rain Song"- 1:36...don't know how to really describe it...descending chords maybe?/ "I Can't Quit You Baby"- 0:10 when the guitar comes in

"Melt the Sugar" by The Summer Obsession- 0:13 when the lyrics come in

Robert Schumann's Symphonic Etudes- Variation II Meno Mosso- about 0:36 when the alternating sixteenth notes come in

"The Golden Age" by The Asteroids Galaxy Tour- 1:45 with the trumpets...I think

"Gangsta Bop" by Akon- 0:08 when the beat first comes in

"What to Do" by OK Go- 0:53 when the trumpet (I think) comes in

"Swing Swing" by The All-American Rejects- 0:29 with the descending riff

"Won't Go Home Without You" by Maroon 5- when chorus comes in, 0:53 is first time

"Atoll Moao" by Goldlix (Nujabes Modal Soul Classics)- the beginning (also by Nujabes- "Reflection Eternal", "Luv (sic)," "Think Different feat. Substantial", "Flowers", etc.)

"The Sweater Song" by Weezer- 4:15 when the crescendo ends

"Trenches" by Aereogramme- starts 0:48, including "listen listen please"

"It Never Entered My Mind" by Coleman Hawkins- 0:15 when sax (I think) comes in

"I Think I Can" by The Pillows- 2:42 when the "I think I can" is stopped by slowing guitar/drum riffs (The Pillows also have so many perfect moments- "Ride on Shooting Star," "Happy Bivouac," "My Foot," etc.)

Frederic Chopin's Ballade No. 1 Op. 23 in G Minor- when theme first comes on at about 0:32 (Chopin...oh Chopin...so many perfect moments)

Muse: "Con-Science" - beginning piano, the whole song basically, "Assassin"- "looooose control", "Glorious"- "It rockets through the universe...", "Micro Cuts"- ultra-high-pitched "I've seen what you're doing to me"

Liszt's Hungarian Rhapsody No. 12 in C# Minor- wow...everything?

Yoko Kanno: "Ask DNA" beginning, "Goodnight Julia," "Green Bird", "TANK!", "Space Lion", "Too Good Too Bad", "Blue", "The Real Folk Blues"
T.S. Eliot in "The Waste Land" wrote:APRIL is the cruellest month, breeding
Lilacs out of the dead land, mixing
Memory and desire, stirring
Dull roots with spring rain.

chinable

Postby chinable » Sun Jul 12, 2009 8:58 pm UTC

thicknavyrain
ThinkGravyTrain

Postby thicknavyrain » Sun Jul 12, 2009 9:23 pm UTC

That bit where the guitar KICKS in during "Victory Song" by Ensiferum. I'm not a huge metal fan but I LOVE that bit.
RoadieRich wrote:Thicknavyrain is appointed Nex Artifex, Author of Death of the second FaiD Assassins' Guild.

cheezitman2001

Postby cheezitman2001 » Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:29 pm UTC

dedalus wrote:Godspeed You Black Emperor's The Dead Flag Blues, at the 2:35 mark where the strings section slows down and the lyrics 'You grabbed my hand, and we fell into it, like a daydream, or a fever'... That song is the most devastating piece I have ever heard.

Absolutely yes. That whole spoken intro sends a chill down my spine every single time.

My perfect moments:
The end of the sax solo in Pink Floyd - Us & Them, (5:30 to 6:20 or so in http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zlY-JlE5ZCo, but specifically right at 5:52.)
The drum fill/scream in The Who - Won't Get Fooled Again. It's the very essence of rock and roll, right there.
The Beatles - Abbey Road, Golden Slumbers to the end is absolutely perfect.
Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here. "We're just two lost souls swimming in a fishbowl year after year," gets me no matter how many times I hear it.
Pink Floyd - Dogs. All of it. For anyone that hasn't heard this song, I stand by it's PF's magnum opus.

Jesse
Vocal Terrorist

Postby Jesse » Sat Jul 18, 2009 1:06 am UTC

I'm the opposite. I love this bit in 65dos' Conspiracy of Seeds. The music has gotten faster and built up and its clearly heading towards a crescendo and the singing's there, half screaming and energetic and everything leads to this moment and you get the lyric "Aim for first, come in second." and the music just dies and it hurts, because everything in you has strained to that point in the music where you're about to be set free and than bam, you're left nowhere. Simply amazing.

Midnight

Postby Midnight » Sat Jul 18, 2009 7:07 am UTC

Jesse wrote:I'm the opposite. I love this bit in 65dos' Conspiracy of Seeds. The music has gotten faster and built up and its clearly heading towards a crescendo and the singing's there, half screaming and energetic and everything leads to this moment and you get the lyric "Aim for first, come in second." and the music just dies and it hurts, because everything in you has strained to that point in the music where you're about to be set free and than bam, you're left nowhere. Simply amazing.

really? cause i felt it was more of a release than anything.
uhhhh fuck.

tin
Foxy McAwesomesworth

Postby tin » Sun Jul 19, 2009 3:10 pm UTC

Some of my perfect moments in music.

Spoiler:
The Frames- Dream Awake - 2.44, just after Glen Hansard sings 'take us under now' and the strings come gliding in, right on cue, immersing you in a sea of euphoria.

The Smashing Pumpkins - Soma - Corgan repeats the last line of the chorus and then BAM at 4.23, a guitar solo to melt your face off. RAWK.

TV on The Radio - Staring at the Sun. The fuzzy wall of distorted guitars, the harmonies which sounds like a cry for help in unison. The whole damn song.

Nine Inch Nails - Ruiner - 3.00. Uuuuuuugh, the sexiness of that guitar solo. It's so smooth and oozing and i'm going to stop or i'll get myself all hot and bothered.

Of Montreal - Rapture Rapes the Muses. 2.13 where the layers of 'LA LAAAA LA LA LA LAAAA' repeat for the rest of the song. Along with those tinkly glockenspiels, it sounds exactly what frolicking in a meadow with unicorns and fairies would sound like.

Beirut - The Bunker - 1.18. The song winds down bit by bit and then everything comes back in with gusto at this point, with a big emotional celebration.

D.J Shadow - You Can't Go Home Again - At, 5.59, you hear all the layer he's been building up for the whole song together. It's quite a satisfying moment.

Jeff Buckley - Grace - 4.06, where Jeff just brings it home, singing from the top of his lungs, 'I'm not afraid to goooooo, but it goes so slooooooooooooow'. Then the gospel-esque backing singers join him, the dudes holding his notes for an age and well, it's just epic.

Bjork- There's far too many perfect moments for me in her songs, but two of my favourites are at in All Is Full Of Love. The harps and synths and her voice all just cascade together until the song finishes, like a waterfall. The other is in Verandi, at. 2.11. Theramins, strings and a driving beat make it sounds like an alien invasion.

This too.
Macbi wrote:Nina Simone's Sinnerman from 4:24 to 5:40 (the clapping bit) (from 4:19 here)
i dare you to take me on...

Goatboy
may become less boring.

Postby Goatboy » Mon Jul 20, 2009 10:57 pm UTC

There was a lot mentioned in the last little bit since I last visited this thread, but I'd like to second the "drum fill/scream" in "Won't Get Fooled Again." I really wish CSI: Miami hadn't appropriated that.
Also, on Tool's Ænima when the spooky calliope of "Interlude" stops and becomes the sleazy, grinding guitar riff of "Jimmy." That's amazing.
I have nothing to offer anybody except my own confusion.
And some old pictures.

porcupine

Postby porcupine » Wed Jul 22, 2009 5:10 am UTC

One of the best moments in music I can think of is on the song "Fly on a Windshield" from Genesis' The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway, after the last line "And I'm hovering like a fly, waiting for the windshield on the freeway..." and then the drums come in.

chewey

Postby chewey » Sun Jul 26, 2009 9:39 pm UTC

The short 50 second clip of "A Little Better" by Gnarles Barkley on youtube. its beautiful. too bad its so short

Xomeron

Postby Xomeron » Mon Jul 27, 2009 3:14 am UTC

The second Solo in Bohemian Rhapsody.

If you don't know who that's by, why are you on this forum.

Thunderbolts and Lightning, Very Very Frightening ME!

ParanoidAndroid

Postby ParanoidAndroid » Fri Jul 31, 2009 6:23 am UTC

I just got back from seeing My Bloody Valentine live. Halfway through their last song, "You Made Me Realise" they launch into a twentyish minutes long jam session of absolutely crushing, roaring, overwhelming sound affectionately known as "The Holocaust Section". The sound hovers around 130 decibels, about the volume of a jet taking off from 100 meters away. All the while, lights of every color imaginable are flashing and streaking across the room. The sound is so loud that it feels like someone is physically shaking you. The floor rumbles underneath your feet. Breathing feels like drinking. Just when you think that the song is going to completely crush you, they launch back into the end of the song.

Holy shit that was intense.

Midnight

Postby Midnight » Fri Jul 31, 2009 9:25 pm UTC

I dunno if it's been said yet, but when the guy sings "swimming pool" in the song Banshee Beat by Animal Collective.

And the part in I'll Believe In Anything by Wolf Parade where the guitars stop and it's just drums + vocals saying "If I could take the fire from the wire/I'd share a life and you'd share a life" and then it bursts back into "Where nobody knows you/and nobody gives a damn either way".
uhhhh fuck.

Thrillho

Postby Thrillho » Thu Aug 06, 2009 1:36 am UTC

No Cars Go - The Arcade Fire: This entire song is extremely powerful. One of the surest ways for me to enjoy a song is to make it sound "big", and No Cars Go does a wonderful job of it, using a large orchestra as backing to their regular instruments. The entire thing comes to one massive crescendo close to the end, starting at about 3:40 onwards, although it doesn't really pick until about a minute later. It takes a LOT for me to proclaim something as beautiful, but I will do it for this song a million times.

Glosoli - Sigur Ros: Another song with a crescendo towards the end. This song has a relatively slow, plodding pace for most of its duration, and picks up at the end, where the pace essentially doubles, and is then followed by more traditional electric guitar. Extremely uplifting, especially the finale.

Born to Kill - Matthew Good Band: Matthew Good's stuff is pretty depressing. This song is no exception. The way I interpret it, Born to Kill is about a slow descent, either into madness, anger, whatever. Once again, like the two other songs listed here, there is a crescendo towards the end. This crescendo then turns into absolute cacophony. But what was most memorable was the very ending - how the utter chaos of the song abruptly stops with the sound of a flatlining electrocardiogram. Spooky. If any decide to look this up, a few versions were released, and I've found that the one from his album "Beautiful Midnight" is the best.

If anyone knows these songs, it should seem fairly clear that I enjoy big finales, massive crescendos, and so forth. Any suggestions for any bands I haven't mentioned?

tin
Foxy McAwesomesworth

Postby tin » Thu Aug 06, 2009 12:05 pm UTC

Midnight wrote:And the part in I'll Believe In Anything by Wolf Parade where the guitars stop and it's just drums + vocals saying "If I could take the fire from the wire/I'd share a life and you'd share a life" and then it bursts back into "Where nobody knows you/and nobody gives a damn either way".

Ah, yeessss. I always have to sing along to that part, if i'm not warbling along to the song already.
i dare you to take me on...

Oppenheimer

Postby Oppenheimer » Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:42 pm UTC

I'm pretty bad describing moments, but you have to hear the music, not me.
Lets begin, (there are a lot for me)

Pink Floyd
Eclipse
The start, 0.00
Time
When the solo starts 3.28
The Great gig in the sky
when clare's start singing. 1.06
Confortably Numb
the whole last solo
Echoes
the climax of it all, 18.14
Waiting For The Worms
final section, 2.53

Pearl Jam
Alive
Start of solo, 3.39
Black and Jeremy
both outros(or everything after the last chorus)

Genesis
Supper's Ready
when the final section starts, 21.14

Dream Theater
Octavarium
the very last closing, 23.13

Circus Maximus
Zero
the last section, with choir, 3.49
Mouth Of Madness(my favourite song, just in case)
the intro (-2.16), and the section just after the part sung in latin, at 7.14

Ayreon
Day 6 - Childhood
start of solo, 3.30
Day 20 - Confrontation
the start of the final outro (yes, final outro), at 5.47
The Sixth Extinction
keyboard solo, 7.00 and "compelte the circle" section, 9.20

Yes
And You And I
the keyboard epic section, at 4.11, or 8.32
Starship Trooper
the las section (really epic-trippy), 5.36

Camel
Air Born
final chorus, 4.08
Never Let Go
final chorus, 4.31

Rush
the solo, 17.13
Witch Hunt
the keyboards, at 2.16 or 3.37
Vital Signs
final section, 3.07

---
Regarding real life moments of music, we should consider
-The Wall live, with Gilmour playing Confortably Numb at the top of the wall
-Woodstock
and many more I can't think of now

Have you met my friend C20H25ON3?

Blinke

Postby Blinke » Fri Aug 07, 2009 5:12 pm UTC

Thrillho wrote:If anyone knows these songs, it should seem fairly clear that I enjoy big finales, massive crescendos, and so forth. Any suggestions for any bands I haven't mentioned?
Most post-rock (there's a thread about it somewhere) would fit, as long as you don't mind the lack of lyrics.

Give This Will Destroy You - There Are Some Remedies Worse Than The Disease a listen. The part starting at 4:20 leading up to the crescendo is just amazing.

Return to “Music”