Where to get electrical parts?

The magic smoke.

Moderators: phlip, Moderators General, Prelates

Carnildo

Where to get electrical parts?

Postby Carnildo » Mon Aug 10, 2009 3:59 am UTC

Where can I get a double-pole single-throw normally-open momentary contact pushbutton switch? More generally, where can I buy small quantities of electrical parts at reasonable prices?

mochafairy

Re: Where to get electrical parts?

Postby mochafairy » Mon Aug 10, 2009 4:02 am UTC

radio shack generally has electronic parts. they might not have everything you're looking for, but they do have a fair selection.
"YES. DO IT WITH CONFIDENCE" ~fortune cookie

Carnildo

Postby Carnildo » Mon Aug 10, 2009 4:44 am UTC

Last time I was in there, Radio Shack just barely had the parts to make a null-modem cable. The time before that, I had to visit three of them to find the 2.5mm 3-conductor plug I needed to make a shutter release cable for my camera. They've been leaving the parts business for years, and I'd be amazed if they've got a decent selection now.

mochafairy

Postby mochafairy » Mon Aug 10, 2009 5:52 am UTC

you can also try here, here, here, and here.
"YES. DO IT WITH CONFIDENCE" ~fortune cookie

phillipsjk

Postby phillipsjk » Mon Aug 10, 2009 6:54 am UTC

Try looking in the YelowpagesTM under "electronic parts and supplies".

Radio Shack has been moving away from electronic components for about 10 years now. They are focusing on selling more profitable consumer electronics now. I'm not sure how they intend to compete with Best Buy & Future Shop (both owned by the same company) with that strategy, but I'm not in charge.
Did you get the number on that truck?

Carnildo

Postby Carnildo » Mon Aug 10, 2009 7:44 am UTC

There are a couple of wholesalers listed, but I only need two switches, not twenty thousand.

scarecrovv
It's pronounced 'double u'

Postby scarecrovv » Mon Aug 10, 2009 3:19 pm UTC

Digikey is an excellent source of all things electronic (everything from resistors to FPGAs). Their parametric search is excellent: http://www.digikey.com/. I think I found about a page of stocked parts with a minimum order quantity of 1 that match your description, plus 19 more pages of non-stock parts. That should be plenty of choices.

LikwidCirkel

Postby LikwidCirkel » Tue Aug 11, 2009 4:15 pm UTC

I second Digikey, especially in Canada. They seem to be the best for actually selling hobbyist quantities. Other major distributors are mouser, arrow and avnet (all .com), and they might have parts that DIgikey doesn't, but they're less likely to sell you small quantities.

Now, if you don't need specific part numbers, and almost any pushbutton would work, just try eBay. I've got a whole lot of switches, LEDs, and other things on eBay at liquidation/overstock kind of prices - far cheaper than from a real dealer like Digikey. Don't be afraid to order from China or Hong Kong if you can wait a few weeks. Chinese dealers generally ship in small padded envelopes for cheap that aren't likely to get charged customs/brokerage fees.

There are a few "hobby" kind of stores around with actual local stores in some cities. Future Active Industrial comes to mind, but that's only Canadian I think.

Edit:
...double-pole single-throw normally-open momentary contact pushbutton switch...
Does this even make sense? If it's normally open, and it's double-pole, and a pushbutton, how does the second pole get connected? 99% of pushbuttons I've seen are SPST, normally open, and have 2 pins, or 4 pins and have two connected pairs with the button shorting all 4.

u38cg

Postby u38cg » Tue Aug 11, 2009 4:29 pm UTC

Yeah, Digikey. I had to buy a dogload of piezo film tabs, and forty odd 4-pole 3.5mm 6 feet patch leads, and couldn't get them retail in the UK. Digikey got them to me in 48 hours and covered the shipping.
When will we win the war on memes?

Carnildo

Postby Carnildo » Wed Aug 12, 2009 5:34 am UTC

LikwidCirkel wrote:
...double-pole single-throw normally-open momentary contact pushbutton switch...
Does this even make sense? If it's normally open, and it's double-pole, and a pushbutton, how does the second pole get connected? 99% of pushbuttons I've seen are SPST, normally open, and have 2 pins, or 4 pins and have two connected pairs with the button shorting all 4.

It's a button that, when pushed, closes two circuits at once. As you noted, 99% of pushbuttons are SPST, which is why finding one of these is a bit tricky. Digikey seems to have a selection, though.

the.coding.eye

Postby the.coding.eye » Thu Aug 13, 2009 2:56 am UTC

I've ordered a few things from http://www.newark.com before. I'm not sure if they have your exact part, but they have a bazillion other things. If you call them you might be able to get a free sample if a single switch is all you need.
"In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not."

cena

Postby cena » Mon Sep 07, 2009 6:59 am UTC

DPST series pushbutton switches are designed to ensure prolonged switch life and maximum operating reliability. The switches are targeted at applications in desk computer and TV products. Moreover, for more information on the electrical parts you can refer to electrical guide books.

L337R3dN3k

Postby L337R3dN3k » Mon Sep 07, 2009 1:58 pm UTC

In the US, I'm a fan of Allied Electronics http://www.alliedelec.com/. They have no problem selling small quantities, and often stock parts that are difficult to find elsewhere.

Just last summer I was refurbishing a ~40 year old light box for a n-f-p theater company that couldn't afford a new one. I managed to find filament transformers for a now-rare voltage (these things were originally designed to boost power for vacuum tubes; this box used them to bring the voltage from the control unit up to the voltage required to run the lights). The price was reasonable, shipping was quick, and if you're going to be ordering on a regular basis you can open an account and sometimes wangle discounts.

They also carry newer components, of course. I have no idea whether they're better than the companies already listed (with the exception of Radio Shack, which doesn't have much anymore), but it's another site to add to the list :)

dark12222000

Postby dark12222000 » Mon Oct 05, 2009 5:30 am UTC

I'm a mouser.com fan myself, which is basically a digikey clone.

Return to “Hardware”