Head Hair

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Armadillo Al

Re: Head Hair

Postby Armadillo Al » Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:03 pm UTC

Hey, SexyTalon, you should totally scan a picture of your highschool days.
Compiling.. wrote:xkcd... where EVERYONE loves EVERYONE...

Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...

Postby Jessica » Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:37 pm UTC

I know. I'm sad because my regular stylist is on mat leave :(
doogly wrote:On a scale of Mr Rogers to Fascism, how mean do you think we're being?
Belial wrote:My goal is to be the best brain infection any of you have ever had.

crickets

Postby crickets » Tue Aug 18, 2009 10:20 pm UTC

FlagPoleSitta:

Okay. The thing about trying to dye your hair black when it's already a light blonde (with semi-permanent dye, this is), is that you need to leave the dye on WAY longer. The further away you're going from your natural colour, the longer it needs to sit on there. I'd almost recommend wrapping the sections in foil and leaving it on over night. I've also heard many people use a hairdryer on their bright colors to make them pop more. Also wrapping your head in saran wrap and leaving in on a good long time.

For bright colors, it helps if you go a little darker than what you're envisioning, because it will fade.

Also:
Don't wash your hair. I know that sounds kind of gross, but seriously, wash as infrequently as you can. You'll notice when you shampoo that colour comes out with the shampoo. Every time. Don't dye over conditioned hair, it won't stick. Semi permanent dye goes best over clean, unconditioned hair. I've also had problems with dye not sticking right after bleach, sometimes it takes a few days, or a darker colour.

Manic Panic is not my fave. I know this, because it doesn't stain every thing it touches. I can almost wash it off my hands... Which is a good thing, but you want this stuff to stick. I really, really like Punky Colour, but it will quite seriously change the colour of anything it touches for a good long while, so be sure to use towels and pillowcases you don't really like, and have a bleach-based spray cleaner on hand for any drips on the counter.

I hope that helped.
SecondTalon wrote:Virtue may be it's own reward, but so are Skittles.

Cassi

Postby Cassi » Tue Aug 18, 2009 10:23 pm UTC

So, I am in desperate need of a haircut. While my hairdresser is wonderful and I always love what she does when I say I don't really know what I want, it tends to always be quite similar. Now, this could just be because it is just the style that suits me, or just one she is good at cutting -- like I said, it does always look really good. But I'd kind of like something a bit different. Any suggestions?

Three pics under the spoiler -- my hair at the moment, my hair back for a clearer view of my face shape, and my hair not long after the last time my hairdresser cut it.
Spoiler:
Photo 41.jpg
Photo 41.jpg (68.64 KiB) Viewed 9276 times

Photo 43.jpg
Photo 43.jpg (68.62 KiB) Viewed 9274 times
une see wrote:Cass, YOU are my favorite!

Enuja

Postby Enuja » Tue Aug 18, 2009 11:09 pm UTC

Jessica, I think that the 1st one (the pixie cut, right?) would look really nice on you, but I'm guessing from pictures that you have thick hair, so it would take some skill and a lot of thinning to cut it, and, more importantly, quite regular visits to your stylist to maintain it. So, I'd say go for it, as long as you're willing to make friends with a new stylist and spend money there on a regular basis.

Cassie, I love what your hairdresser usually does, and I don't really have specific ideas. However, if you want something different, you should totally go for something different.

Flagpole Sitta

Postby Flagpole Sitta » Tue Aug 18, 2009 11:45 pm UTC

Thank you, cricket, that was helpful. I do know not to wash my hair too often when I dye it, but I had left it several days and it was so greasy it was like I had hair gel in. I had to wash it!

Do you think it might be worthwhile to try bleaching my hair again? I know the first time I did it I didn't get the roots very well, but I was paranoid about melting my hair off, it's so thin.
Poxic is, like, awesome. She's my favorite.

Kapojinha is pretty awesome too. <3

crickets

Postby crickets » Wed Aug 19, 2009 12:11 am UTC

@FlagPoleSitta:

Don't bleach your hair again if you're doing it the same colors. Especially for the black, it will work better if you're hair is already darker, and bleach is hell on your hairs.

semicharmed

Postby semicharmed » Wed Aug 19, 2009 12:31 am UTC

Moo wrote:Advice needed please: I want to start swimming more regularly again to be active but I am not fond of the idea of that much chlorine in my hair. I wash my hair every 3rd day, every 2nd at the most, so I've already decided not to swim more often than that, but I still worry about whether my regular shampoo will wash out all of the chlorine and whether I should give it extra special love after a swim. I tried a cap but it won't stay on.

When I was working last summer — swim instructor — I used Frizz-Ease/John Frieda almost every day. It's silicon based, and I found that it coated my hair enough to keep most of the chlorine smell/feel out. I didn't really shampoo at all that summer, and I came out of the summer with my (head) hair intact.
Arm/pit/leg hair was another story...
Spoiler:
... turns out when the chlorine is kept high to retard bacterial growth after an accident, the water can actually become chlorinated enough to burn off body hair if one is exposed to it for long enough. Eight hour pool shifts left me basically hairless.

Amarantha

Postby Amarantha » Wed Aug 19, 2009 5:09 am UTC

Jessica, your second style pic looks a bit like my current hair (only neater :wink: ) I went to get my hacked-off-a-ponytail bob shortened, and the hairdresser also layered it, which I hadn't asked for, but it's growing on me. I like any cut that can look relatively neat without me having to style it. This one looks a bit puffy or wavy if left to its own devices, and can be awkward if bits are sticking out at funny angles (can be nice tho). But if I cover it with a hat for a short time after washing it, I get a more form-fitting, slightly spiky look like in the pic.

Short hair feels great; it's light and easy to wash, and doesn't get in the way. I think any of those cuts would look great on you :)
omgryebread wrote:...if I'm watching a fantasy, I want my princess to stab some motherfuckers, claim the crown herself, then invade the prince's kingdom and sleep with his sister.

Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...

Postby Jessica » Wed Aug 19, 2009 12:17 pm UTC

Thank you :)
I will say I do miss having short hair. It's been years since I did that. Mainly because for many of those years I had to be as feminine as possible to feel like me. But, now I'm realizing I can have a cute short haircut and still be feminine. And attractive :)
doogly wrote:On a scale of Mr Rogers to Fascism, how mean do you think we're being?
Belial wrote:My goal is to be the best brain infection any of you have ever had.

Pez Dispens3r
is not a stick figure.

Postby Pez Dispens3r » Wed Aug 19, 2009 12:39 pm UTC

Contributing:
Spoiler:
I know I don't look all that great, but I got up for work at 5 this morning, worked nine hours, and it's 10pm now. Besides, this isn't for vanity, it's for hair!

My hair is fairly thin, but it has a natural curl that looks good some of the time. But whenever I walk outside, it just gets blown up and looks silly. I've had it long enough so I could put the fringe hairs in my mouth, but I don't know if it ever suited me that well, so I think I'll keep it at this length or shorter.

@Enuja, from the first page, I like your hair at 12 and 18 months most, because I think at that length it frames your face nicely. IMO, it looked a bit bottom-heavy at 24 months.
Mighty Jalapeno wrote:I feel like you're probably an ocelot, and I feel like I want to eat you. Feeling is fun!
this isn't my cow

crowey
That's DOCTOR Crowey, to you

Postby crowey » Wed Aug 19, 2009 3:41 pm UTC

dear hair thread. I think my hair is falling out.
since the start of July I've noticed that when I brush my hair more was coming out than before, I assumed it was some kind of summer moult or something. It's still coming out, I get a handful of hair every time (every 3 days or so- daily brushing gives me bad 80s hair). I think my hair is noticably thinner now than it was 3 months ago. Though I don't have any decent pics to illustrate this (I'll have a rummage through my photos folder when I get home, just to see if I can find something)...
My haircare routine and products haven't changed, nor has my diet.
Any ideas?

crickets

Postby crickets » Wed Aug 19, 2009 9:56 pm UTC

So, today i woke up to my hair being curly.

How?
No one knows!

Spoiler:

Okay, so it's not that curly, but still! i am amused! And i wish i could duplicate these results.

Pez Dispens3r
is not a stick figure.

Postby Pez Dispens3r » Thu Aug 20, 2009 12:04 am UTC

crickets wrote:And i wish i could duplicate these results.

1. Eat cheese before bed.
2. Have strange dreams all night, thrashing your head around on the pillow.
3. ???
4. PROFIT!
Mighty Jalapeno wrote:I feel like you're probably an ocelot, and I feel like I want to eat you. Feeling is fun!
this isn't my cow

invisibl

Postby invisibl » Thu Aug 20, 2009 12:35 am UTC

Most hairdressers shampoos provide a very good source of income to the salon.
Some are good
Some not
They get marked up amazingly. Yay for profit!

Perception says that for most ppl: A good lather is a sign of a good shampoo. Ususally this means that yes it is cleaning wildy more than it needs to.
If your hair is squeaky clean. It is too clean and is inviting damage from environmental factors as well as making it look lifeless nd flyaway if it tend s toi the fine end of the spectra.
Thus wash, mechanicaly , more gently and dont aim for it to be clean a s a whistle.
Conditioner is a must on some hair, But not if yiour hair is fine.
If you have hair that seems to lack moisture when dry (ho ho ho yes I know) a leave in conditioner can helpo this by weighing it down.So does product whicjh also "thickens" hair by leaving a residue and thus making it more rigid also.

If your hair is fine, and you have no allergies, BY all means colour it to attain body. By gently raising the cuticle (damaging it) you achieve a slightly larger diameter fibre as well as making the individual fiber slightly more rigid. Product can do this as well, But can also make it sticky clum,py dull and lifeless looking. Be experimental.

Perming is a personal hatred. I was a hairdresser for at least a decade and participated both in competitions, Displays and ran multiple salons as well as working as a consultant and trainer. I have yet to see a technique and prooduct that gave a 100% true result that looked natural and attractive. Mostly you had a very clean and regular curl pattern that ran from the natural almost fractally patterned naturally wavy/curly hairr that was wanted. To boot; The underlying structure of each fibre still didnt have the assymetric cross sectional shape that Wavy/Curly hair has causing it to not behave or look like the intended result.
Also, As the hair is so resil;ient, Most permed hair would after a week or two begin to sag and or self straighten.ewwwww.
That being said. Human nature says that if you have azn straight hair, You are gonna want a change and that means curls. FInd an intelligent and understanding person to help you here(hair). stillits a gamble.

Dreadlocks can be cool. Can aggravate scalp conditions as posted. need daily maintenance. give street cred. yeah. nd they can be stinky. nuff said.(I had em for a long time. Loved em)

dont rub your hair to druy it when it is wet.
Pat or squeeze it dry with the towel. ANother poster said the hair is 3x weaker when wet. Not sure if that amount is correct. But it definitely is weaker. and if youre hair is of any substantial length then it has been on your head for some time. weakening it further (or accelerating the weakening aint gonna make anyone happy except a hairdresser who woill be trimming or cutting it sooner rather than later)
If you have curly hair that is long and wish to promote curls, After showering , bend at the waist so your hair is pointing to the ground. In two hands lay the towel across your upturned palms, Bring the towel spreaded palmsup to your hair that is dangling down, and gently squish it into a loose ball and hold for a few seconds.
This will help dry the hair very well and will promote the curl more than prevent it.

If your hair is thinning seek medical advice. Men and Women Both can lose hair and become bald. Unlikely to be diet related unless yr diet is extreme and has been for quite some time.
If you shave it it will NOT grom back thicker.
If you Bleach it. Then it is better to bleach it gently several times than extremely once.
If your hair is bleached and you wish to go darker thrn you need to colour it red first.
ALl hair has Black, Brown, Red and yellow pigmenti n the melanin.When you bleach it the Black and Brown goes first rather easily, Leaving the red and yellow. Red and Yellow equals GINGER.
It is very difficult to remove the red and yellow pigment.
If you go darker then you must replace the red and yellow Prior to puttin in the Brown and blackl or you will get Liquorice green.

I may return to this. Us ex hairdressers dont type so well.

Love you all!!!

Flagpole Sitta

Postby Flagpole Sitta » Sat Aug 22, 2009 6:18 am UTC

So I got a hair cut and then redyed my hair using Cricket's advice, and overall I'm very pleased. Here's a picture, but you can't see the color very well, I'm afraid. Thank you, Cricket! :D

Spoiler:

Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...

Postby Jessica » Sat Aug 22, 2009 11:39 am UTC

Awesome hair! You look so butch!

Flagpole Sitta

Postby Flagpole Sitta » Sat Aug 22, 2009 1:29 pm UTC

Thanks! I was really surprised at how sexy it came out! :)

Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...

Postby Jessica » Sat Aug 22, 2009 3:09 pm UTC

It's so damn sexy :)

Lucrece

Postby Lucrece » Sat Aug 22, 2009 4:11 pm UTC

So I'm saving up for this Kerastase system of shampoo+conditioner+ pills for thin/thinning hair. My hair is naturally thin (so it completely flattens over at my hand and it doesn't look fuller than 1-2 fingers thickness when wet), but I have a lot of it (when it dries, it has quite some volume). So even if I have a lot of it, braids and ponytails don't work too well since the thinness gives the ponytail/braid a squeezed, small look; I have to mainly wear it loose, or my favorite: grab the frontal part and tie it back with a hairclip while the back remains loose (I still am bitter over not being able to do gorgeous, thick braids :cry: ). My hair is fairly straight up top but more waved at the back length naturally; I have this weird case of mixed hair. Some days it can be somewhat straight, other days going from straightish waves to bordering on curly.

Anyways, the system itself is almost 140-160 bucks, but I tried the Kerastase restructuring shampoo by itself earlier (32 bucks, ouch), and damn does that shit work wonders. While my ends look very sensitized if I don't put serum on them, my growing scalp hair is beautifully smooth and shiny.
Belial wrote:That's charming, Nancy, but all I hear when you talk is a bunch of yippy dog sounds.

parkaboy
who dwells between the borders of time

Postby parkaboy » Sun Aug 23, 2009 3:49 am UTC

Swweeeeet, a lot of girls in my school wanted to try that, but I don't know any who actually did. I have fine hair, but not INCREDIBLY fine, so I haven't given any thought to trying that out. Please keep us posted and review and everything. I'd like to know if its worth it (for other people who might ask, if not myself)

Back in our day we had to walk uphill both ways through the snow on fire without feet to get fucking terrible relationship advice from disinterested and socially maladjusted nerds. Belial

CJTnoir

Postby CJTnoir » Sun Aug 23, 2009 4:05 am UTC

I miss my hair and wish it would grow in again. =[
It's never been terribly long, and it's always been damaged, so it's never grown past my shoulders. Recently I decided to get the damage cut off to help it grow back, which resulted in:
Spoiler:
CRAZY SHORT HAIR WITH CURLYSPIKES IN THE BACK AND UGLYFACE IN FRONT!

At first I hated it, and then it turned into a nice change, but now I miss having hair to play around with. Namely, I miss my afro, because I used to look like my avatar and now I feel as though I'm living a lie. I just don't have the patience for anything hair-related anymore.
Please, hair, be nice to me for once in my life.

Things I need to buy for my hair, so I can come back to this thread and remember: more peppermint shampoo, avocado oil and maybe sweet almond oil for when I don't feel like smelling like an avocado.
...that's awkward.

tin
Foxy McAwesomesworth

Postby tin » Sun Aug 23, 2009 9:49 am UTC

I think that hair cut really suits your face shape, CJTNoir. :) Especially with the retro, horn rimmed glasses you've got going on there. Personally, if I were to relax my hair again, I would also go for a short n' sassy (probably with the sides shaved in some particular way) type of cut.
i dare you to take me on...

CJTnoir

Postby CJTnoir » Sun Aug 23, 2009 3:26 pm UTC

Thank you! =] I'll be getting new glasses sometime this week, but they'll still fit the hair (I hope).
I'd love to try the natural thing again, though, especially now that it won't be all damaged and breaking off. I'm just always really indecisive. It was only just more than a year before I went "Okay, I'm sick of this -relaxes!-"
Somewhat on topic: Whenever I see your avatar I make a happy face 'cause I think you have the cutest hair!
...that's awkward.

tetracontakaidigon

Postby tetracontakaidigon » Sun Sep 13, 2009 8:41 pm UTC

hello thread, I've been lurking, may I have advice?

The marching band director says that this year we must have naturally colored hair. Ignoring how my colored tips were acceptable for the past two years, and how he told me this with no advance warning yesterday(he said it was in the handbook. I just reread the handbook...) on the day of our first competition and gave me and another girl until Thursday to change this if we wanted to remain in the band, and how I am appealing to him for more time tomorrow in school:
My hair reaches to my waist. Approximately the bottom three inches have been bleached repeatedly, and last Monday night were dyed (After Midnight Blue, Manic Panic, left it on for a couple hours). The bottom has been full of split ends and breakage since the first time it was bleached and dyed (fall 2007). There are also twin streaks of blue in the front, in some of what used to be bangs before they were grown out. That part is maybe fifteen inches long? It wasn't bleached before, but was naturally lighter.
My natural hair color is light brown (lighter than the blue is right now). Sometimes it was called dirty blonde, although it's darkened a little since I was younger. There are natural blonde highlights from the sun. I don't like it, except in contrast with the blue. I wish my hair were darker, but I don't want to have to recolor the roots, and my parents won't let me do anything that could permanently damage the hair. I don't want to lose any length, but I realize that the bottom inch should probably go because it's so unhealthy. I don't want to bleach out the blue, because it will destroy the hair more, and the streaks in the front reach just short of the roots. And then it'd have to be dyed slightly darker to match the rest, and then when the season ends I'd have to bleach it to color it again...
pictures can be provided if necessary
[insert quotation here]

Cassi

Postby Cassi » Sun Sep 13, 2009 8:57 pm UTC

It wouldn't help for the front streaks, but would it be possible to just wear your hair in a bun, hiding the coloured tips?
une see wrote:Cass, YOU are my favorite!

tetracontakaidigon

Postby tetracontakaidigon » Sun Sep 13, 2009 9:56 pm UTC

I did that yesterday, and that's what I'm going to propose to the director. But thanks for the suggestion, it's nice knowing it's not just me and some biased friends who think a bun could work. We perform in shakos anyway, which hide all of the hair. He says it looks unprofessional when we're warming up in public, though.
[insert quotation here]

Moo
Oh man! I'm going to be so rebellious! I'm gonna...

Postby Moo » Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:55 am UTC

Speaking of Kerastase: I have curly hair that is quite fine and tends to be very dry. I'm using Joyco Moisture Recovery shampoo and conditioner but my stylist said I need two components: moisture and protein. The Joyco is good for moisture but I should get some Kerastase conditioner for protein. I wanted to hear if anyone else thinks this is the route to go and if so, what Kerastase product is worth investing in?
Proverbs 9:7-8 wrote:Anyone who rebukes a mocker will get an insult in return. Anyone who corrects the wicked will get hurt. So don't bother correcting mockers; they will only hate you.
Hawknc wrote:FFT: I didn't realise Proverbs 9:7-8 was the first recorded instance of "haters gonna hate"

Sungura
When life gives you banananas, make bananana bread

Postby Sungura » Wed Sep 23, 2009 12:49 am UTC

Hi! I'm looking for colour suggestions for my hair. I did have to have highlights bleached to put purple in it (Mystic Heather, manic panic) for the murder mystery dinner I'm doing, so once it all wears out I will still have blonde streaks I can play with! I had issues with the first round of MP - it really diluted and the ends washed out within 2 showers, so I took the 25mL I had left and redid it myself. I'm guessing when I went to the salon they did it like normal permanent dye or something without bothering to read how MP suggests to do it. Anyway, I didn't quite have enough to get the colour all the way through but it mostly worked, and one washing so far and the colour is as bright as ever. Yay for me following directions, I think. (I also now got some shampoo/conditioner for colour treated hair which should help.)

Ramble aside, I'm thinking it would be fun to play around some. Suggestions of other colours to try? I was thinking the following:
Lie Locks
New Rose
Purple Haze
Vampire Red
Black & Blue
Enchanted Forest

I am thinking colours that will show - but not be "Oh me yarm YOU HAVE WEIRD HAIR" because I will/do get that reaction from the profs around the school, and I don't want to go too zainy.

If it helps...a photo with the Mystic Heather:
Spoiler:
"Would you rather fight a Sungura-sized spider or 1000 spider-sized Sunguras?" -Zarq
she/<any gender neutral>/snug

Flagpole Sitta

Postby Flagpole Sitta » Wed Sep 23, 2009 12:58 am UTC

I had terrible, terrible luck with manic panic. The colors washed out and looked bad after just a couple of washes. I had better luck with punky.

If you want something to show you should go for brighter colors because they will come in darker on your actual hair.

I think a nice, Forrest green would look attractive and be a little more unusual. Bright red is pretty main stream and looks good on everyone. Um. Really, you have a nice face and hair color. Any color would look good on you!

Sungura

Postby Sungura » Wed Sep 23, 2009 1:01 am UTC

I was using MP because I was told it isn't that bad for your hair because of how it works, or something like that. Is punky relatively safe? Because if this colour washes out fast again, I'd like to try a different brand. Most people seem to love how well it works, but maybe it's just a hair type thing. :?
"Would you rather fight a Sungura-sized spider or 1000 spider-sized Sunguras?" -Zarq

Flagpole Sitta

Postby Flagpole Sitta » Wed Sep 23, 2009 1:06 am UTC

I put punky in when I still had long hair and it didn't do too much damage to my hair. It also lasted for quite a long time, though it got pretty faded after a while.

What you have to remember is that everyone's hair is different. I have pretty resilient, easy to work with hair. Your results will probably vary.

This means if you put in punky and all your hair falls off, don't blame me!

Sungura

Postby Sungura » Wed Sep 23, 2009 1:21 am UTC

My hair is thick (enough for three people I am told by just about everyone who touches it), it doesn't tangle, I can tie knots in it and they just fall right out (this amuses me), and it's naturally wavy and soft. So...yeah. It is easy to work with and resilient. I will perhaps try Punky then if MP comes out again too quick.

parkaboy
who dwells between the borders of time

Postby parkaboy » Wed Sep 23, 2009 2:25 am UTC

For colorsl ike those I will only use Special Effects. Goldwell (professional haircolor) has a permanent fantasy color line, ranging from deep plum to highlighter yellow. I havent' tried them on a real person yet, but on a mannequin Oh me yarm WOW.

Back in our day we had to walk uphill both ways through the snow on fire without feet to get fucking terrible relationship advice from disinterested and socially maladjusted nerds. Belial

Moo
Oh man! I'm going to be so rebellious! I'm gonna...

Postby Moo » Wed Sep 23, 2009 8:45 am UTC

If you hair behaves anything like mine, it won't just wash out and leave you with blond streaks; it'll just fade until it's a very light purple. That's not to say don't try a fun new colour over that!
Proverbs 9:7-8 wrote:Anyone who rebukes a mocker will get an insult in return. Anyone who corrects the wicked will get hurt. So don't bother correcting mockers; they will only hate you.
Hawknc wrote:FFT: I didn't realise Proverbs 9:7-8 was the first recorded instance of "haters gonna hate"

Enuja

Postby Enuja » Thu Nov 05, 2009 4:08 am UTC

I came up with a medium-term solution to my problem of moving to Chicago and getting ready for my first real "winter" ever while simultaneously wanting to have short hair again. I put pictures of before and after I shaved it, my hair at 6 month intervals and of what it looked like in July (just over two years after having shaved it) in posts on page one. From looking at those pictures, and how easy my hair was to take care of when it was short, I do want to go back to short hair. But I also want to wait for spring to do so. So I cut myself some bangs! My hair is curly, so my bangs stick up and curl over and look really 80s, but I think that they solve some of the things that were bothering me about my hair. Because I've cut the shortest bits into bangs, (and it's been a few months and my hair is a little longer), it's easier to tuck my hair behind my ears or otherwise keep from having unruly front hair and my hair length is much closer to uniform. I think that my bands also go quite a ways towards solving my flat-on-top problem when I have longer hair. My hair is long enough now to almost never get the really nicely defined curls that are in some pictures from July and earlier, and I am going to shave or at least go short again, but I'm really happy about my bangs as a medium-term solution, and just wanted to share.

Here are two pictures of the front of my hair (both today, both with my bangs in the same direction: one is the mirror-me and one is the real me) and one picture of the back of my hair.

Chicostick

Postby Chicostick » Thu Nov 05, 2009 5:24 am UTC

Hair is kind of an iffy spot for me, as I started losing mine as a freshman in High School. By the time I was a senior I had a prominent bald spot of about four inches in diameter, and my "widows peak" had almost met up with it. I had never had hair that was all that good to begin with, it was extremely thin and just overall bad hair.

So a couple summers ago I got out of the shower, looked in the mirror and saw my pathetic and rather useless hair sitting there, and said "screw this bull" and shaved it all off. I figured it wasn't doing me much good anymore anyways, why bother having to wash it and comb it and all that junk? Plus, instead of looking like a forty-year-old man that wandered into a group of young people, I look like a 25 to 26 year old that has just started balding. Being only 19, this is a marked improvement!

Pros I've Found:
-No need to buy expensive shampoos and conditioner!
-Dandruff is easier to take care of, as now I can just put lotion on my head.
-I look younger than I did.
-People somehow think I'm more badass, which is sort of cool.
-Easier to cool off in the summer, a little bit of moisture on my head and a bit of a breeze will cool me down very quickly.
-Swimming under water feels really weird, in a cool way. It's like a numbing sort of sensation, I can't really explain it.

Cons:
-Sun burns on your head = ouch
-Dandruff may be easier to take care of as it's now just dry skin, but it's also way more obvious.
-If it's at all chilly out, I HAVE to wear a hat. I was surprised at how much of a difference it made, but I seriously get freezing if I don't have something there to hold the heat in. Forget about going outside in winter without a hat.
-My options on styling are limited to "bald."
-Slicing your head open with a razor if you're not paying attention leads to a very big mess, as head wounds bleed in surprising amounts. It also leads to awkward questions if you're doing it in a dorm shower when this happens, as large amounts of blood everywhere raises concern.

My technique for shaving it was pretty simple. First I took an electric trimmer and got the long stuff down. Then later I took a regular old razor that I shave my face with and shaved it the rest of the way. I've been using the newer Gillete razors, with four or five or however many blades, as it's pretty hard to cut yourself with those. That, and they do a decently good job. I usually just do it in the shower, I put a bit of soap on my head and go to town. I've found that my head doesn't really get razor burn, but I do need to put lotion on it so it doesn't dry out and get all flaky and nasty. Aftershave on your head is a not so smart idea, as it tends to burn quite a bit more than on your face.

I recommend shaving completely to anyone who was thinking of giving it a shot. However, if you're not going to shave it all the way down, make sure for the first few tries you have someone around that you can have look at the job you've done. My first few times looked like a real hack job.

Also, if this has already been mentioned in this thread, I'm sorry. It's late and I'm really just stalling from writing an essay. :lol:

Ivora

Postby Ivora » Sun Nov 08, 2009 4:10 am UTC

I love my hair just the way it is. Long and golden.

Sungura

Postby Sungura » Sun Nov 08, 2009 4:16 am UTC

I've noticed that my hair is realllllly slow at growing. Isn't it supposed to grow about an inch a month? Well, in the last 10 months, mine has grown 5-6 inches. This makes me sad.

Cold

Postby Cold » Sun Nov 08, 2009 4:34 am UTC

Chicostick wrote:-If it's at all chilly out, I HAVE to wear a hat. I was surprised at how much of a difference it made, but I seriously get freezing if I don't have something there to hold the heat in. Forget about going outside in winter without a hat.
-My options on styling are limited to "bald."

It's kind of like that with any hair that is cut shorter than 1/4 of an inch.
"Man is the cruelest animal." -Friedrich Nietzsche

Return to “General”