Spreek Nederlands en Praat Afrikaans (Dutch & Afrikaans)

For the discussion of language mechanics, grammar, vocabulary, trends, and other such linguistic topics, in english and other languages.

Moderators: gmalivuk, Prelates, Moderators General

Re: Spreek Nederlands en Praat Afrikaans (Dutch & Afrikaans)

Postby ZLVT » Mon Jul 06, 2009 1:29 pm UTC

a scary percentage of germans think dutch is a dialect and afrikaans was influenced by the german immigrants even further so go figure. I find afrikaans easier to understand than dutch phonologically.
22/♂/hetero/atheist/★☭/Image

Originator of the DIY ASL tags
ZLVT

Postby Monika » Mon Jul 06, 2009 3:49 pm UTC

I don't think most Germans are serious when they say that Dutch is a dialect of German. It just sounds so familiar and one feels one should be able to understand it, and can even understand parts of it.
#xkcd-q on irc.foonetic.net - the LGBTIQQA support channel
Monika

Postby ZLVT » Mon Jul 06, 2009 5:30 pm UTC

by scary percentage i mean <10% (~6 i think) but even so, those ones were serious
22/♂/hetero/atheist/★☭/Image

Originator of the DIY ASL tags
ZLVT

Postby EvilDuckie » Mon Jul 06, 2009 7:37 pm UTC

Monika wrote:Yeah, Dutch is almost a German dialect :D . Or German is almost a Dutch dialect, depending on how you look at it ;) .

:shock:
Wees voorzichtig met wat je zegt... :D Nederlands en Duits hebben wel veel gemeen, maar zijn toch twee verschillende talen.
Quack!
EvilDuckie

Postby Monika » Mon Jul 06, 2009 10:25 pm UTC

Dat weet ik wel. Ik heb Nederlands twee semesters geleerd. Het is niet werkelijk een dialect, natuurlijk.

But it was much more pleasurable to learn than e.g. Arabic or Chinese because one could guess parts.
Monika

Postby Roĝer » Tue Jul 07, 2009 6:40 pm UTC

Wat wel interessant is is dat Nederlands een stuk meer lijkt op enkele laagduitse dialecten, met name die rond Kleef. Of eigenlijk is dat wel logisch.
Ik ben niet koppig, ik heb gewoon gelijk.
Roĝer

Postby Monika » Tue Jul 07, 2009 9:09 pm UTC

That's indeed very logical. German and Dutch were one language. Then in Middle and Southern Germany there was the second Germanic sound shift: p -> pf/f, t -> ts/z/s/ß, k -> k(kch in Switzerland)/ch. The Northern German / Lower German dialects didn't take part, neither did Dutch, nor Anglosaxon. Some linguists consider Plattdeutsch/Niederdeutsch to be a language rather than a dialect / group of dialects, as it's about as different from Hochdeutsch as Dutch is.
Monika

Postby Joeldi » Sat Aug 22, 2009 12:19 pm UTC

Yeah, well, My Hand is in warm water...>.> Wikipedia better not be lying to me, or I'll look a right tosser.

I've been reading up on Afrikaans today, because I do that whenever I meet someone mulrilingual, because gosh darnit, I'd love to be multilingual so much. My 日本語 is going alright, but I might try learning a bit of this too, because, well, a language that is in someways quite similar to English, but without those nasty genders found in French, German, Dutch, Russian etc. Sounds like a gateway to the European lexicon to me.
I already have a hate thread. Necromancy > redundancy here, so post there.

roc314 wrote:America is a police state that communicates in txt speak...

"i hav teh dissentors brb""¡This cheese is burning me! u pwnd them bff""thx ur cool 2"
Joeldi

Postby Roĝer » Sat Aug 22, 2009 3:12 pm UTC

Actually, I consider Plattdeutsch to be a dialect of Dutch. I've heard it around Köln and it's like hearing my aunts talk.
Roĝer

Postby Monika » Sun Aug 23, 2009 3:43 pm UTC

Joeldi, Dutch has genders. Two of them, but not male + female as in French/Italian/Spanish. One Dutch gender is male and female combined. The other is neutral. The effects are not as strong as in German, though.
Monika

Postby Roĝer » Sun Aug 23, 2009 3:45 pm UTC

But Afrikaans doesn't, does it?
Roĝer

Postby Moo » Mon Aug 24, 2009 7:27 am UTC

No, we've left out all the weird parts and made it quite simple ^_^
Proverbs 9:7-8 wrote:Anyone who rebukes a mocker will get an insult in return. Anyone who corrects the wicked will get hurt. So don't bother correcting mockers; they will only hate you.
Moo
Oh man! I'm going to be so rebellious! I'm gonna...

Postby Monika » Mon Aug 24, 2009 9:24 am UTC

Oh yeah, missed that.

Afrikaans not only did away with genders, but also with unnecessary tenses and most irregular verb forms :) .
Monika

Postby Joeldi » Sat Aug 29, 2009 12:20 pm UTC

Ek wil leer nou afrikaans, maar, Ek kan vind 'n goed webwerf. Doen enige bestaan?

Because of that, that was mostly done with wikipedia and google translate (I didn't just type in the sentences though, I tried to get this right) so I'm sure there must be a buttload of mistakes.

I'm having fun with this though. The similarities to English make it much more...relaxing... to learn than Japanese. Most of the vocabulary I've looked at, I can see the common roots.

EDIT: Oh word order. This STOMPI thing seems to be telling me it's SVO, but I seem to be seeing a lot of examples using SOV. Which is more natural, if it's SOV, how stupid would I sound keeping to SVO for now for the convenience?

"i hav teh dissentors brb""¡This cheese is burning me! u pwnd them bff""thx ur cool 2"
Joeldi

Postby hitausmomentti » Sun Aug 30, 2009 5:03 pm UTC

Joeldi wrote:Ek wil leer nou afrikaans, maar, Ek kan vind 'n goed webwerf. Doen enige bestaan?

Looks to me there should be a negation there somewhere:
Ek wil nou Afrikaans leer, maar ek kan nie 'n goeie webwerf vind nie. Bestaan enige?

My poging aan om jou sin te verbeter kan ook verkeerd wees omdat ek nie 'n moedertaalspreker is nie. (My attempt to correct your sentence can be wrong too because I'm not a native speaker.) Questions are formed by putting the verb in first, the auxiliary "do" of English doesn't appear in most of the other germanic languages.

Joeldi wrote:EDIT: Oh word order. This STOMPI thing seems to be telling me it's SVO, but I seem to be seeing a lot of examples using SOV. Which is more natural, if it's SOV, how stupid would I sound keeping to SVO for now for the convenience?

It's V2-SOV. Main clauses have the verb as the second element, dependent clauses have it in the end.
hitausmomentti

Postby Outchanter » Sun Aug 30, 2009 5:49 pm UTC

hitausmomentti wrote:It's V2-SOV. Main clauses have the verb as the second element, dependent clauses have it in the end.

Although that can depend on the conjunction. 'Omdat' and 'want' both mean 'because' but only the first one shifts the verb in the dependent clause to the end.
~ You will eat a tasty fortune cookie. Oh look, it came true already! ~
Outchanter

Postby hitausmomentti » Sun Aug 30, 2009 6:22 pm UTC

Outchanter wrote:Although that can depend on the conjunction. 'Omdat' and 'want' both mean 'because' but only the first one shifts the verb in the dependent clause to the end.

Yeah, I just thought that 'want' isn't a subordinating conjunction and so the clause it begins wouldn't be a dependent clause. My terminology might be wrong though.
hitausmomentti

Postby Outchanter » Sun Aug 30, 2009 6:37 pm UTC

Could be; I'm also not sure what the official terminology is but guessed (possibly wrongly) that two words with essentially the same meaning would be under the same category?
~ You will eat a tasty fortune cookie. Oh look, it came true already! ~
Outchanter

Postby hitausmomentti » Sun Aug 30, 2009 6:56 pm UTC

Outchanter wrote:Could be; I'm also not sure what the official terminology is but guessed (possibly wrongly) that two words with essentially the same meaning would be under the same category?

At least in German they aren't. 'Denn' and 'weil' mean the same 'because', but only 'weil' is subordinating. I assumed that it would work the same way in Afrikaans, conjunctions that change the word order being subordinating and the others not.
hitausmomentti

Postby Joeldi » Mon Aug 31, 2009 1:15 am UTC

hitausmomentti wrote:Looks to me there should be a negation there somewhere:
Ek wil nou Afrikaans leer, maar ek kan nie 'n goeie webwerf vind nie. Bestaan enige?

The first nie I didn't have was just a typo, I could have sworn I put it in. The second one I didn't know about. Wikipedia said something about 'double negation' but didn't explain it well.
Questions are formed by putting the verb in first, the auxiliary "do" of English doesn't appear in most of the other germanic languages.
Okay thanks, I wasn't sure about the doen, but I went with what the dumb translator was telling me.

It's V2-SOV. Main clauses have the verb as the second element, dependent clauses have it in the end.

So in really simple sentences it's SVO, like "Ek haat honde", but if there's any conjunctions in there (among other things), it's at the end?"Ek honde haat maar, Ek nie haat katte nie"
I'm having trouble figuring out which is the main clause there, and I'm sure that negation isn't right...

Joeldi

Postby hitausmomentti » Mon Aug 31, 2009 5:16 pm UTC

Joeldi wrote:So in really simple sentences it's SVO, like "Ek haat honde", but if there's any conjunctions in there (among other things), it's at the end?"Ek honde haat maar, Ek nie haat katte nie"
I'm having trouble figuring out which is the main clause there, and I'm sure that negation isn't right...

It's V2 unless the clause begins with one of these: http://www.sois.uwm.edu/afrikaans/vocabulary/conjunctions_3rd.html, when it's SOV. V2 isn't necessarily SVO, when you begin the clause with something else than the subject, the order is something like OVS, for example 'Daarvan weet ek niks' (Of that, I don't know anything). If there are auxiliary verbs, the "most important" of them goes to the second position and the rest go to the end, resulting in something like time-Vaux-S-O-Vmain: 'Gister het ek al die boerewors geëet' (Yesterday I ate all the boerewors). The V2-SOV rule is actually quite easy to remember, and you don't have to learn any complivated rules that define why a sentence should be OVS, VSO or SVO.
hitausmomentti

Postby overal » Sun Sep 13, 2009 6:36 pm UTC

Hello everybody,

This my first post here, having just joined the forum. I am interested in Nederlands and related languages. When I first heard Nederlands when I was working in NL, it already seemed familiar to me. Not that I could really understand it, but something in the sound was very familiar to me. This seems unusual to me given that I was born and raised in the southern Appalachian region of the United States (a hillbilly, thus).

Is it OK or useful to post to this thread in two or more languages?

Ik word net een lid van de forum en hier lees je mijn eerst berichtje. Ik heb belangstelling voor het Nederlands en verwante talen. Toen ik eerste het Nederlands hoorde toen ik in Nederland aan het werken was, scheen het al een bekende taal. Niet dat ik het echt kon verstaaan, maar er was wel iets in de klank dat heel herkenbaar voor me was. Dit lijkt me raar want ik ben in de zuidelijk deel van de Appalachian bergen in de VS geboren en getogen ( een "hillbilly", thus).

Kind regards / met vriendelijke groeten,
overal
overal

Postby Roĝer » Sun Sep 13, 2009 8:07 pm UTC

Wel, taalkundigen zeggen dat Nederlands en Engels verwant zijn, misschien dat dat de oorzaak is?

Je Nederlands is goed te begrijpen, maar de fijnere details van verleden en voltooide tijd moet je nog leren en natuurlijk is de/het altijd lastig. Ga zo door!
Roĝer

Postby Woodsman » Mon Sep 14, 2009 11:19 pm UTC

Ik ben zelf nederlands van moedertaal, maar ik doe ook extra studies betreffende taal, en dus ook.... inderdaad... nederlands.
En je kan er niet omheen dat nederlands, al zij het een complexe, rijke taal, moeilijk is om te leren.

Ik heb net Pinker's Taalinstinct gelezen, waarin hij verklaart dat kinderen (volgens zijn theorieën, dan) een soort aangeboren grammatica hebben. En dat het Nederlands, door honderden jaren aan toegevoegde regeltjes, veroorzaakt door inburgering en gewoontes, hier tegenin druist.

Is iemand het hier mee eens?
Woodsman

Postby Roĝer » Wed Sep 16, 2009 10:31 am UTC

Ik heb de Engelse versie gelezen en ik herinner me niet dat er zoiets in stond. Natuurlijk, alle talen waar een controlerend orgaan voor bestaat zijn niet helemaal natuurlijk meer, maar toch nog altijd een natuurlijke taal. Daarnaast heeft uniformisering meer voordelen dan nadelen wat communicatie betreft.
Roĝer

Postby polymphus » Wed Sep 16, 2009 3:13 pm UTC

Ik kan Nederlands praat, maar ik kann niet schrijve het zovel.

Yeeeeah. I spent a year living in Utrecht, but found learning Dutch near impossible because the second anyone catches my (admitedly quite strong) Kiwi accent they all say "Oh! Je kann engels praat! Kannen wie Engels oefenen?" I spent long enough there to pick up a bit, but since I spent most of my time buggering about De Groene Hart (mostly Utrecht and Den Haag) instead of actually learning I can speak Dutch ok, but can't spell it worth a damn. It's hard to practice back in NZ too: I chat with Afrikaaners whenever I can because they're much easier to find. I might drop in to this thread from time to time and see if I can improve my spelling a bit. :lol:

Poly
polymphus

Postby Woodsman » Wed Sep 16, 2009 5:15 pm UTC

Roĝer wrote:Ik heb de Engelse versie gelezen en ik herinner me niet dat er zoiets in stond. Natuurlijk, alle talen waar een controlerend orgaan voor bestaat zijn niet helemaal natuurlijk meer, maar toch nog altijd een natuurlijke taal. Daarnaast heeft uniformisering meer voordelen dan nadelen wat communicatie betreft.

Je hebt gelijk. Ik heb het materiaal nog eens nagekeken, en wat je zegt houdt inderdaad iets meer steek. Het blijft interessant om te lezen dat zoiets als taalinstinct niet alleen mogelijk is, maar nog eens waarschijnlijk klinkt ook.

polymphus wrote:Ik kan Nederlands praat, maar ik kann niet schrijve het zovel.

Yeeeeah. I spent a year living in Utrecht, but found learning Dutch near impossible because the second anyone catches my (admitedly quite strong) Kiwi accent they all say "Oh! Je kann engels praat! Kannen wie Engels oefenen?" I spent long enough there to pick up a bit, but since I spent most of my time buggering about De Groene Hart (mostly Utrecht and Den Haag) instead of actually learning I can speak Dutch ok, but can't spell it worth a damn. It's hard to practice back in NZ too: I chat with Afrikaaners whenever I can because they're much easier to find. I might drop in to this thread from time to time and see if I can improve my spelling a bit.

Poly

You notice the Afrikaaner influence, but, as with anyone I guess, with practice, I don't think you'd be half bad at Dutch. You got the words right, now it's just a matter of (horrible) grammatics :p
Woodsman

Postby Roĝer » Wed Sep 16, 2009 6:58 pm UTC

Misschien heeft Poly liever dat we hem in het Engels antwoorden?
Roĝer

Postby Woodsman » Wed Sep 16, 2009 11:54 pm UTC

Je bedoelt nederlands?
Woodsman

Postby polymphus » Thu Sep 17, 2009 2:19 am UTC

Misschien heeft Poly liever dat we hem in het Engels antwoorden?

Dat zal goede zijn. :mrgreen: Ik vind ik kann wel Nederlands begrijpen, maar Ik praat/shrijve het niet so goede.
polymphus

Postby Woodsman » Thu Sep 17, 2009 2:23 am UTC

Blijven oefenen, en dan lukt het wel. :) We zijn er om je te helpen.
Woodsman

Postby polymphus » Thu Sep 17, 2009 2:30 am UTC

We zijn er om je te helpen.

Thanks guys.
A quick note* I also speak a little German, and that comes through in the spelling a bit. Is 'kann' right? Nog een vrage; Waneer moet zal je 'leuk' zeg? Is it the same as 'cool' in English?
polymphus

Postby Woodsman » Thu Sep 17, 2009 2:39 am UTC

In het nederlands is er slechts 1 'n' in 'kan'.

"Leuk" wordt eerder gezegd door mensen uit Nederland (the netherlands), terwijl Belgen sneller een ander woord, of zelfs gewoon "cool" zullen zeggen.
Woodsman

Postby polymphus » Thu Sep 17, 2009 2:52 am UTC

Ja Ik heb een vriendin uit Belge wie vindet 'leuk' heel grappig. Es 'heel' ook echt/richtig? In mijn erste week, Ik segt 'Nu ben Ik giel goede' waneer iedereen vragt over hoe Ik was. :oops:
polymphus

Postby Woodsman » Thu Sep 17, 2009 10:23 am UTC

als iemand vraagt hoe het met je is (die "het" is belangrijk), is het normaal om te zeggen dat het "heel goed" met je gaat (maar alleen als je je heel (very) goed voelt).
"Richtig" is Duits, wordt in het Nederlands dan ook niet gebruikt.

Hopelijk heb je hier iets aan?
Woodsman

Postby Ronny_uit_Vlaanderen » Tue Sep 22, 2009 12:37 pm UTC

Hallo,

misschien is min post hier niet op zijn plaats, maar we proberen met een aantal vrienden de interesse voor de Zuid Afrikaanse taal terug op te wekken,
dit op avondlijke bijeenkomsten.
Op onze reis deze zomer naar dit prachtig land, hebben we een lied gehoord dat we hiervoor zouden willen gebruiken.
Natuurlijk zijn we er in geslaagd om de naam van de auteur of zanger van dit lied te verliezen, de tittel van het lied was " spreek jij me taal nog".
Als iemand ons zou kunnen helpen met dit, zouden we jullie zeer dankbaar zijn.

groetjes uit Vlaanderen.

Ronny
Ronny_uit_Vlaanderen

Postby Moo » Tue Sep 22, 2009 12:42 pm UTC

Hallo Ronny,

Bedoel jy "Jy Praat Nog Steeds My Taal" deur Bok van Blerk?
Proverbs 9:7-8 wrote:Anyone who rebukes a mocker will get an insult in return. Anyone who corrects the wicked will get hurt. So don't bother correcting mockers; they will only hate you.
Moo
Oh man! I'm going to be so rebellious! I'm gonna...

Postby polymphus » Tue Sep 22, 2009 12:52 pm UTC

Hoi Ronny!

Over dit
is het normaal om te zeggen dat het "heel goed" met je gaat
Ik segt niet 'heel', ik segt 'geil'. :oops:
polymphus

Postby Ronny_uit_Vlaanderen » Tue Sep 22, 2009 12:57 pm UTC

Moo wrote:Hallo Ronny,

Bedoel jy "Jy Praat Nog Steeds My Taal" deur Bok van Blerk?

Jy bent me redder, dat is inderdaad wat ik zoek.
Baie dankie.

groetjes
Ronny
Ronny_uit_Vlaanderen

Postby Ronny_uit_Vlaanderen » Tue Sep 22, 2009 1:01 pm UTC

polymphus wrote:Hoi Ronny!

Over dit
is het normaal om te zeggen dat het "heel goed" met je gaat
Ik segt niet 'heel', ik segt 'geil'. :oops:

In Vlaanderen nemen we het woord " Prima" meer in de mond, om uit te drukken dat het heel goed gaat.
Je geil is vermoedelijk een afkorting van een oude Vlaamse uitdrukking " geheel goed"

groetjes
Ronny
Ronny_uit_Vlaanderen

PreviousNext

Return to Language/Linguistics