Are you Ready for some "Football"!!! NFL Discussion

Seen something interesting in the news or on the intertubes? Discuss it here.

Moderators: Hawknc, Zamfir, Prelates, Moderators General

Are you Ready for some "Football"!!! NFL Discussion

Postby Ixtellor » Wed Aug 26, 2009 1:29 pm UTC

Anyone else super pumped about the new NFL season?

I am a fantasy football addict and unfortunatly that renders me incapable of having a favorite team, but..

I LOVE THIS GAME!

Lets here your thoughts. Or better yet, someone start an XKCD Fantasy football league on Yahoo or something and lets get to rocking!


Ixtellor

P.S. Seriously.. anyone interested in an XKCD FFL league?

Not news in the strictest sense, but I'm feeling experimental, so I'll leave this thread open for discussion of the NFL season. Fantasy football goes elsewhere though. -Hawk
The Revolution will not be Twitterized.
User avatar
Ixtellor
There are like 4 posters on XKCD that no more about ...
 
Posts: 3056
Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2008 3:31 pm UTC

Re: Are you Ready for some Football!!! NFL

Postby Roĝer » Wed Aug 26, 2009 1:43 pm UTC

But they don't play football in the NFL!
Ik ben niet koppig, ik heb gewoon gelijk.
User avatar
Roĝer
 
Posts: 445
Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2008 9:36 pm UTC
Location: Many worlds, but mostly Copenhagen.

Re: Are you Ready for some Football!!! NFL

Postby Ixtellor » Wed Aug 26, 2009 1:48 pm UTC

Roĝer wrote:But they don't play football in the NFL!


Get off my football thread you dirty soccor hooligan.

Ixtellor

P.S. I went to 3 Professional soccer games this summer. GO AUSTIN AZTECS!!
The Revolution will not be Twitterized.
User avatar
Ixtellor
There are like 4 posters on XKCD that no more about ...
 
Posts: 3056
Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2008 3:31 pm UTC

Re: Are you Ready for some Football!!! NFL

Postby Hamorad » Wed Aug 26, 2009 1:58 pm UTC

I enjoy watching football but being from Michigan my spirits have been understandably hampered regarding home team loyalty. Most of the time I drift listlessly towards whatever team is doing well that season because usually they are more interesting to watch.
User avatar
Hamorad
 
Posts: 105
Joined: Fri Sep 29, 2006 7:14 pm UTC

Re: Are you Ready for some Football!!! NFL Discussion

Postby J the Ninja » Wed Aug 26, 2009 4:00 pm UTC

I wonder if the Seahawks will suck again this year. :(
User avatar
J the Ninja
 
Posts: 709
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 9:08 pm UTC
Location: Portland, USA

Re: Are you Ready for some Football!!! NFL Discussion

Postby Ixtellor » Wed Aug 26, 2009 4:03 pm UTC

They only show Dallas, Texans, and Titans games in my market + the monday night and sunday night games, so I usually don't get to see the games I really want to see.

I will probably end up rooting for the Titans and Bengals this season. I have always been a modest Bengals fan (Go Boomer!) but after watching HardKnocks: The Bengals training camp, I am growing more fond and rekindling that old love.

I am hoping to catch a lot of Jacksonville games, because Jones-Drew is my boy, and I want to see him pound the rock.

NE, and Ind look awsome in Pre-Season and I expect them to be contenders again.


I think the Seahawks will be mediocre if Hasselbeck stays healthy. TJ looks like an awsome pickup for you guys, and I would think you guys could spread the field. (I love Duckett, but he doesn't get enough carries so he tends to fall of my radar)
Ixtellor

P.S. Thanks Hawk, this thread will be on page 5 in 2 days, so thanks for the 15 mins of discussion this will generate. (Much like the NBA thread last year)
The Revolution will not be Twitterized.
User avatar
Ixtellor
There are like 4 posters on XKCD that no more about ...
 
Posts: 3056
Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2008 3:31 pm UTC

Re: Are you Ready for some Football!!! NFL Discussion

Postby Seraph » Wed Aug 26, 2009 5:44 pm UTC

NE, and Ind look awsome in Pre-Season and I expect them to be contenders again.

Did you watch the same pre-season Indi games that I did? Their first string offensive line was AWFUL in the first game. Take out Wayne's 76 yard TD that was a result of blown coverage in game 2 and the offense looked pretty poor then too. Espically considering that the Eagles defense is still in a state of flux thanks to the new defensive coordinator.
Seraph
 
Posts: 333
Joined: Mon Jul 16, 2007 4:51 pm UTC

Re: Are you Ready for some Football!!! NFL Discussion

Postby Heisenberg » Wed Aug 26, 2009 6:26 pm UTC

Even with "blown coverage," it still takes a good QB/WR to make the play. Especially when said QB has a porous O-line defending him. As far as NE, of course they look good, they look good every year. It's surprisingly easy to make your team look good when you ignore the rules.
Heisenberg
 
Posts: 3785
Joined: Wed May 14, 2008 8:48 pm UTC
Location: Uncertain

Re: Are you Ready for some Football!!! NFL Discussion

Postby brakos82 » Wed Aug 26, 2009 6:37 pm UTC

Seraph wrote:
NE, and Ind look awsome in Pre-Season and I expect them to be contenders again.

Did you watch the same pre-season Indi games that I did? Their first string offensive line was AWFUL in the first game. Take out Wayne's 76 yard TD that was a result of blown coverage in game 2 and the offense looked pretty poor then too. Espically considering that the Eagles defense is still in a state of flux thanks to the new defensive coordinator.


The Colts always look horrible in preseason... then they pull out of their slump when it counts.

And Ixtellor, you're in Austin, aren't you? I would like to make a note that K-EYE sucks. :P
Image Listen to the manic 8-bit laughter. LISTEN!
User avatar
brakos82
 
Posts: 529
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 12:06 am UTC
Location: My happy place :)

Re: Are you Ready for some Football!!! NFL Discussion

Postby Polycronopolis » Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:23 pm UTC

Heisenberg wrote: It's surprisingly easy to make your team look good when you ignore the rules.


Zing!
Polycronopolis
 
Posts: 39
Joined: Tue Aug 19, 2008 6:29 pm UTC

Re: Are you Ready for some Football!!! NFL Discussion

Postby Rakysh » Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:00 pm UTC

Aston Villa 3, Liverpool 1. Hell yes. Shut the kop right up.

Oh. Oh, I see. You didn't mean real football. :P

Actually, I'd love to see a live NFL game. Or one on tele, come to think about it. The only off putting thing is all the advert breaks and pauses. I like a bit more flow with my sports.
Rakysh
 
Posts: 1276
Joined: Wed Jun 25, 2008 3:39 pm UTC

Re: Are you Ready for some Football!!! NFL Discussion

Postby Occams_Razor » Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:31 pm UTC

In the interest of acting like I know what we're talking about, GO PANTHERS, I should really figure out which Carolina their located in.

Rakysh wrote:Aston Villa 3, Liverpool 1. Hell yes. Shut the kop right up.


Oh, and with the way Liverpool are looking this season that isn't a huge achievement
Occams_Razor
 
Posts: 17
Joined: Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:50 pm UTC

Re: Are you Ready for some Football!!! NFL Discussion

Postby kernelpanic » Thu Aug 27, 2009 12:07 am UTC

Anyone else here is a vikings fan?
And... Fuck Favre.
I'm not disorganized. My room has a high entropy.
Bhelliom wrote:Don't forget that the cat probably knows EXACTLY what it is doing is is most likely just screwing with you. You know, for CAT SCIENCE!

Image
User avatar
kernelpanic
 
Posts: 891
Joined: Tue Oct 28, 2008 1:26 am UTC
Location: 1.6180339x10^18 attoparsecs from Earth

Re: Are you Ready for some Football!!! NFL Discussion

Postby Telchar » Thu Aug 27, 2009 2:48 am UTC

I think Seattle could contend to twin the division.

Full Disclosure: Bears Fan

I think the NFC North is one of the best divisions in football atm. 3, possible 4 good quarterbacks. 3 real contenders for the division title. I don't think you can say that about any other division except maybe the NFC East.

That being said, I like where the Bears are headed, even if them winning the division this year is not as likely as I'd like to think. I think we have a good chance at a WC spot. Hell, the NFC North might sweep the NFC WC spots, but I doubt it. Anyway, should be a fun season.
Zamfir wrote:Yeah, that's a good point. Everyone is all about presumption of innocence in rape threads. But when Mexican drug lords build APCs to carry their henchmen around, we immediately jump to criminal conclusions without hard evidence.
User avatar
Telchar
That's Admiral 'The Hulk' Ackbar, to you sir
 
Posts: 1932
Joined: Sat Apr 05, 2008 9:06 pm UTC
Location: Cynicistia

Re: Are you Ready for some Football!!! NFL Discussion

Postby Seraph » Thu Aug 27, 2009 4:42 am UTC

Telchar wrote:I think Seattle could contend to twin the division.

Full Disclosure: Bears Fan

I think the NFC North is one of the best divisions in football atm. 3, possible 4 good quarterbacks. 3 real contenders for the division title. I don't think you can say that about any other division except maybe the NFC East.

That being said, I like where the Bears are headed, even if them winning the division this year is not as likely as I'd like to think. I think we have a good chance at a WC spot. Hell, the NFC North might sweep the NFC WC spots, but I doubt it. Anyway, should be a fun season.

The problem with the NFC North is the Lions. That's just a lead weight that is going to drag you down. Right now I'd say the NFC North is probably the best, each team has an issue, but none of them are fatal (I think all 4 will with 8+ games). Both New York and the Giants could have very good teams this year if they can get their acts together. The Falcons/Panthers are also good Wildcard competition.

I also have to say I'm a little suprised that you think Green Bay stands a chance (I assume that's your 3rd contender behing the Vikings and Bears). They just switched to a 3-4 defense which I'd expect to cause them all sorts of problems.

The Colts always look horrible in preseason... then they pull out of their slump when it counts.

They have in the past, but that was with a different coach.

I think people often fail to appreciate just how much a coach has to do with the success of a team. There is a reason why Miami was able to turn itself around in a single season, why New England can keep filling in the holes that appear in its roster with ease, why Farve didn't make it to the end of last year, and why Pennington didn't make it in New York. The reason is that Bill Belichick and Bill Parcells are both really good at what they do, while the Jets can't seem to find a decent coach.
Seraph
 
Posts: 333
Joined: Mon Jul 16, 2007 4:51 pm UTC

Re: Are you Ready for some Football!!! NFL Discussion

Postby Telchar » Thu Aug 27, 2009 4:54 am UTC

Seraph wrote:The problem with the NFC North is the Lions. That's just a lead weight that is going to drag you down. Right now I'd say the NFC North is probably the best, each team has an issue, but none of them are fatal (I think all 4 will with 8+ games). Both New York and the Giants could have very good teams this year if they can get their acts together. The Falcons/Panthers are also good Wildcard competition.


I don't think the Panthers do as well, simply because I don't expect a repeat performance from Williams. I think the Falcons run away with that division. I think the Eagles win the East, with some competition from the Boys, which probably contend, if not win a WC spot. NFC all depends on Kurt Warner.

I also have to say I'm a little suprised that you think Green Bay stands a chance (I assume that's your 3rd contender behing the Vikings and Bears). They just switched to a 3-4 defense which I'd expect to cause them all sorts of problems.


I hate Green Bay, but I like their offense a lot, and also like Dom Capers. I think it'll depend on how good Kampan can be as a 3-4 LB.

I think people often fail to appreciate just how much a coach has to do with the success of a team. There is a reason why Miami was able to turn itself around in a single season,


Because they played, by far, the 2 weakest divisions in the NFL? A big reason why I think the Matt Cassel acquisition was a big mistake. Thigpin looked good most games. Get a defense.

The reason is that Bill Belichick and Bill Parcells are both really good at what they do, while the Jets can't seem to find a decent coach.

I won't dispute that coaching can make (Bellicheck, Parcells, Dungy, Smith, Smith...I'll even throw Singletary in there) or break (Jauron, Crennel, Phillips) franchises.
Zamfir wrote:Yeah, that's a good point. Everyone is all about presumption of innocence in rape threads. But when Mexican drug lords build APCs to carry their henchmen around, we immediately jump to criminal conclusions without hard evidence.
User avatar
Telchar
That's Admiral 'The Hulk' Ackbar, to you sir
 
Posts: 1932
Joined: Sat Apr 05, 2008 9:06 pm UTC
Location: Cynicistia

Re: Are you Ready for some Football!!! NFL Discussion

Postby Gears » Thu Aug 27, 2009 5:18 am UTC

Go Fins.
General_Norris wrote:I notice a lack of counter-arguments and a lot of fisting.
User avatar
Gears
Bulletproof
 
Posts: 1593
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2008 3:31 am UTC
Location: Japan

Re: Are you Ready for some Football!!! NFL Discussion

Postby Rakysh » Thu Aug 27, 2009 6:17 am UTC

Occams_Razor wrote:
Rakysh wrote:Aston Villa 3, Liverpool 1. Hell yes. Shut the kop right up.

Oh, and with the way Liverpool are looking this season that isn't a huge achievement

Shhh. Apparently we deserved it. I didn't get to watch it :(. After Wigan (shiver) any result is welcome. Rafa's moaning afterwards though... ACCEPT THAT YOU LOST YOU DAMNED WHINER.
Rakysh
 
Posts: 1276
Joined: Wed Jun 25, 2008 3:39 pm UTC

Re: Are you Ready for some Football!!! NFL Discussion

Postby A. Akbar » Thu Aug 27, 2009 6:17 am UTC

Americans play football? I thought you guys kept to Basketball, baseball and whatever that weird game is with too much padding. Well I guess you live and you learn.
A. Akbar
 
Posts: 107
Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 5:31 am UTC

Re: Are you Ready for some Football!!! NFL Discussion

Postby Rakysh » Thu Aug 27, 2009 8:05 am UTC

They're talking about the weird sport with the padding. They call it football, which is silly, because you don't really kick it that much (AFAIK). They do play english football as well, but call it soccer.
Rakysh
 
Posts: 1276
Joined: Wed Jun 25, 2008 3:39 pm UTC

Re: Are you Ready for some Football!!! NFL Discussion

Postby Occams_Razor » Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:57 am UTC

Rakysh wrote:They're talking about the weird sport with the padding. They call it football, which is silly, because you don't really kick it that much (AFAIK). They do play english football as well, but call it soccer.


Well they sometimes kick it during fourth down, and at the start of after a touchdown(that's what they're called right?). Oh, and after touchdowns for conversions.*

*All facts brought to you by EA sports football games, I could be wrong.
Occams_Razor
 
Posts: 17
Joined: Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:50 pm UTC

Re: Are you Ready for some Football!!! NFL Discussion

Postby cathrl » Thu Aug 27, 2009 12:52 pm UTC

Rakysh wrote:
Actually, I'd love to see a live NFL game. Or one on tele, come to think about it. The only off putting thing is all the advert breaks and pauses. I like a bit more flow with my sports.


Sky Sports? They were showing four games a week last year.

And I'd say you can always go to the Wembley game, except that you'd have had to buy your tickets in February.

(I presume you're in the UK from the rest of the post, at least).
cathrl
 
Posts: 427
Joined: Tue Jan 30, 2007 9:58 am UTC

Re: Are you Ready for some Football!!! NFL Discussion

Postby Ixtellor » Thu Aug 27, 2009 1:40 pm UTC

1) Stop thread jacking, and go talk european football elsewhere please.
2) Bears - Cutler. Nuff said. God damn he looks good, I thought he was a decent QB who benefited from zone blocking and good receivers in Denver, and is proving that he is a very good QB.

3) Indy, Yes they looked good to me...
Take away Wayne's 76Yard TD, and Manning still threw over 50% with no picks, and 1 TD. Addai was somethignlike 2-11 a nice run average. Philly is no slouch on defense, regardless of choaching changes.
Then factor in that I don't think Indy has actually won a preseason game in a few years, and now they are... even though they are still just trying to get reps to new guys...

4) Back to Bears -- I forgot to mention I love Forte. That dude is a beast.

5) Vikings. Yea Farve doesn't look great right now, but its still early. If they win the first 5 games, its going to be Farve mania in Minnesota. Plus how hard can it be to hand the ball to Adrian Peterson?

6) Why is anyone knocking GB? I didn't pay too much attention, but I think they still have their core of players back. With Rodgers beasting at QB and several great targets to choose from, I think they will contend for sure for a playoff spot, if not possibly win the division.

7) The Lions... man they have NEVER been good. Even when they had Barry Sanders, they had the same vicious cycle:

Lose most games = get easier schedule = win lots of games = get harder schedule = lose lots of games = get easier schedule = win lots of games... you get the point. 10-4, 4-10, 10-4, 4-10 That basically sums up the Sanders years.

8) Anyone else watching Hard Knocks? Their owner looks... not so great. ("Hey, lets play a DB at TE and try that?" *eyeroll*)


Ixtellor, owner and operator of the Helsinki Thrillseekers an FFL dynasty.
The Revolution will not be Twitterized.
User avatar
Ixtellor
There are like 4 posters on XKCD that no more about ...
 
Posts: 3056
Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2008 3:31 pm UTC

Re: Are you Ready for some Football!!! NFL Discussion

Postby Rakysh » Thu Aug 27, 2009 1:56 pm UTC

cathrl wrote:
Rakysh wrote:
Actually, I'd love to see a live NFL game. Or one on tele, come to think about it. The only off putting thing is all the advert breaks and pauses. I like a bit more flow with my sports.


Sky Sports? They were showing four games a week last year.

And I'd say you can always go to the Wembley game, except that you'd have had to buy your tickets in February.

(I presume you're in the UK from the rest of the post, at least).

I am indeed, but Sky is the work of the devil, apparently. And as I say, the breaks make it a no-go. Were I to have sky sports I'd spend all my time watching rugby, or in extreme droughts, football.
Rakysh
 
Posts: 1276
Joined: Wed Jun 25, 2008 3:39 pm UTC

Re: Are you Ready for some Football!!! NFL Discussion

Postby Gears » Fri Aug 28, 2009 1:53 am UTC

The Fins are looking terrible :( But at least we have better looking cheerleaders than Baltimore
BLT.jpg
BLT.jpg (113.52 KiB) Viewed 18856 times

Actually, we're winning now. Just not doing good against the pass.
ALSO: GTFO soccerfags
General_Norris wrote:I notice a lack of counter-arguments and a lot of fisting.
User avatar
Gears
Bulletproof
 
Posts: 1593
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2008 3:31 am UTC
Location: Japan

Re: Are you Ready for some Football!!! NFL Discussion

Postby Rakysh » Fri Aug 28, 2009 8:09 am UTC

Gears wrote:ALSO: GTFO soccerfags

If you hadn't noticed, we'd stopped talking about the beautiful game, and started talking about American "football". Anyway, I consider myself a "rugbyfag" first and foremost.
Rakysh
 
Posts: 1276
Joined: Wed Jun 25, 2008 3:39 pm UTC

Re: Are you Ready for some Football!!! NFL Discussion

Postby Telchar » Fri Aug 28, 2009 9:33 am UTC

I still have reservations about the fins. They had an absurdly easy schedule outside their own division. Not only are the AFC and NFC Wests terrible right now, but they have to fly east, something no team does well, and the Seahawks were terrible last year (I don't think they are very good anyway, but last year they had a non-stop injury brigade).

As for Green Bay, yes, most of their starters came back this year, but they went 6-10 last year and are installing a new defense. Preseason it looks good, but they are running basic packages and no one is game planning.

As for my Bears, the biggest ??? I have is the defense. If the line can get pressure and if our secondary can get healthy (Tillman/Bowman. Vasher fumbled his Cornerback skills) it will be a good season. The receivers are not great. However, Forte will face less men in the box to account for Cutlers arm, Greg Olsen is a beast, and are Oline got a lot better (Even if you have questions about Pace and his health, his numbers are still better than John Tait or St Clairs. He's a definite upgrade and only missed 2 games last year and the Bears have servicable depth and play conservative on injuries).

Detroits managers name is Martin Mayhew, their owner is Clay Ford? It's the Ford family, like the car company. So far they've done what they had to do, and the preseason is for playing around with the positions anyway, so I don't have a problem with them trying that stuff out. Melton returned a kick for us in one preseason game, and he's technically a lineman the used to play RB at Texas. Eddie Royal used to be slated for the Broncos as a CB but primarily special teams. /shrug.

AFC has less parity but more superteams, NFC has more parity and less standouts.
Zamfir wrote:Yeah, that's a good point. Everyone is all about presumption of innocence in rape threads. But when Mexican drug lords build APCs to carry their henchmen around, we immediately jump to criminal conclusions without hard evidence.
User avatar
Telchar
That's Admiral 'The Hulk' Ackbar, to you sir
 
Posts: 1932
Joined: Sat Apr 05, 2008 9:06 pm UTC
Location: Cynicistia

Re: Are you Ready for some Football!!! NFL Discussion

Postby Ixtellor » Fri Aug 28, 2009 1:10 pm UTC

Telchar wrote:AFC has less parity but more superteams, NFC has more parity and less standouts


Well said.

1) The Dolphins once again basically have the easiest schedule in the league. What I dont' understand, is why they hate pennington so much? He isn't a super-star but he is a decent QB who can manage a game. All I ever hear is about how they hate him down there and want to replace him ASAP. Between the TE's, Brown and Williams, seems like they have a nice core of playmakers who can put points up. I thought Williams would be a bust after his return, but he looks more impressive all the time.

2) Yea I am real excited about the Bears O. I entered another FFL league at my work, and I think I will try and get at least one bear starter on my roster. (I would be happy to begin the season with Cutler, provided I can get him later)
Forte + Cutler, behind a decent line = good things.

Ixtellor
The Revolution will not be Twitterized.
User avatar
Ixtellor
There are like 4 posters on XKCD that no more about ...
 
Posts: 3056
Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2008 3:31 pm UTC

Re: Are you Ready for some Football!!! NFL Discussion

Postby Telchar » Fri Aug 28, 2009 8:12 pm UTC

It's really bizzare how most schedule weighting works. Take the Bears, with technically the leagues easiest schedule. The Lions (0-16) weight that very heavily. We play the Stealers, Ravens. Cardinals, Eagles, Falcons, Vikings. We also play the Seahawks, Bengals, Green Bay, and 49ers, all of which should improve. Yes, we play the Lions and the Rams, but those should be the only "cake" games we have.
Zamfir wrote:Yeah, that's a good point. Everyone is all about presumption of innocence in rape threads. But when Mexican drug lords build APCs to carry their henchmen around, we immediately jump to criminal conclusions without hard evidence.
User avatar
Telchar
That's Admiral 'The Hulk' Ackbar, to you sir
 
Posts: 1932
Joined: Sat Apr 05, 2008 9:06 pm UTC
Location: Cynicistia

Re: Are you Ready for some Football!!! NFL Discussion

Postby Philwelch » Fri Aug 28, 2009 8:51 pm UTC

Etymology note: soccer isn't called "football" because of the kicking, but because it's played "on foot", as opposed to on horseback like polo or something. So American football is a perfectly sufficient football, as is rugby football and Aussie Rules Football.

So, October 5th is the day when we learn exactly which Packers defensive backs Favre throws interceptions to :)
Fascism: If you're not with us you're against us.
Leftism: If you're not part of the solution you're part of the problem.

Perfection is an unattainable goal.
Philwelch
 
Posts: 2904
Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2008 5:33 am UTC
Location: RIGHT BEHIND YOU

Re: Are you Ready for some Football!!! NFL Discussion

Postby Gears » Sat Aug 29, 2009 12:25 am UTC

Did you say the Dolphins have the easiest schedule again? We did last year... Not so much this year. I love Penny. He just.. can't go deep is all. Henne isn't ready from what i've seen in the preseason. Lex Hilliard will hopefully stay with us, being as he's from Montana and just about every Montanan in the NFL is on the Fins.
General_Norris wrote:I notice a lack of counter-arguments and a lot of fisting.
User avatar
Gears
Bulletproof
 
Posts: 1593
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2008 3:31 am UTC
Location: Japan

Re: Are you Ready for some Football!!! NFL Discussion

Postby Gears » Mon Aug 31, 2009 3:19 am UTC

Go Bears. I hate the broncos everyone here is a bronco fan
General_Norris wrote:I notice a lack of counter-arguments and a lot of fisting.
User avatar
Gears
Bulletproof
 
Posts: 1593
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2008 3:31 am UTC
Location: Japan

Re: Are you Ready for some Football!!! NFL Discussion

Postby Beautiful Sin » Mon Aug 31, 2009 4:47 am UTC

Go Cardinals!! Larry Fitzgerald is a beast. I would love to do an XCKD fantasy league.
User avatar
Beautiful Sin
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Fri Aug 28, 2009 4:09 am UTC
Location: Fort Collins CO

Re: Are you Ready for some Football!!! NFL Discussion

Postby Bright Shadows » Mon Aug 31, 2009 5:13 am UTC

Go Lions!

...

Okay, yeah, but they can win SOMETIMES now, and are just going to get better for a while.
Image
Bright Shadows
 
Posts: 645
Joined: Mon Dec 15, 2008 2:56 pm UTC

Re: Are you Ready for some Football!!! NFL Discussion

Postby cathrl » Mon Aug 31, 2009 6:36 pm UTC

cathrl wrote:
Sky Sports? They were showing four games a week last year.

And I'd say you can always go to the Wembley game, except that you'd have had to buy your tickets in February.

(I presume you're in the UK from the rest of the post, at least).


ixtellor wrote: 1) Stop thread jacking, and go talk european football elsewhere please.



Sigh. Let me rephrase.

Sky Sports? They were showing four NFL games a week last year.

And I'd say you can always go to the Wembley NFL game (between the Pats and the Bucs), except that you'd have had to buy your tickets in February.

Yes, there are NFL fans in the UK. I wasn't talking "european football".

ixtellor wrote:The Dolphins once again basically have the easiest schedule in the league. What I dont' understand, is why they hate pennington so much? He isn't a super-star but he is a decent QB who can manage a game. All I ever hear is about how they hate him down there and want to replace him ASAP.


I suspect "because he isn't Dan Marino" is still the main reason. It's going to take a QB who can win games on his own for the Fins fans to take to him. At least Pennington can win them with help.
cathrl
 
Posts: 427
Joined: Tue Jan 30, 2007 9:58 am UTC

Re: Are you Ready for some Football!!! NFL Discussion

Postby Telchar » Mon Aug 31, 2009 7:56 pm UTC

Pennington was good last year. 2nd in the AFC in QB rating iirc. In any case, it seems like I've never met a decent Broncos fan, so I definitely root against them, except I really like Kyle Orton, so I'll root for a terrible D, which shouldn't take much rooting tbh.

As for the Bears, Cutler did deceptively well last night. He didn't try and force plays when he knew he wasn't on. He didn't throw any interceptions, but once he got some field position (Go Devin Hester amirite?) he spread the ball around and put it exactly where it needed to be (the TD catch by Forte as an example). This is what the Bears need him to do. He can't throw 50 times a game so when he does throw he needs those throws to count, and he did last night.

Pace had some problems with their small LB...Elvis something...which is discouraging. He says he has trouble covering small guys as he gets older because he can't bend down. /shrug. The line picked it up in the second half, but it seems like they didn't do well. There were some blocking issues as well, I would say from TEs but maybe Jones was running off-route, but either way.

Defense was okay. Not great, but made the stops when they needed to. Tommie Harris flashed a little and was double teamed the whole time, which is nice for the rest of the line. Ogunleye got some nice pressure a few times, as did Adams and Brown. Against one of the best Olines in the league, I was pretty pleased with how much pressure they got most of the time.
Zamfir wrote:Yeah, that's a good point. Everyone is all about presumption of innocence in rape threads. But when Mexican drug lords build APCs to carry their henchmen around, we immediately jump to criminal conclusions without hard evidence.
User avatar
Telchar
That's Admiral 'The Hulk' Ackbar, to you sir
 
Posts: 1932
Joined: Sat Apr 05, 2008 9:06 pm UTC
Location: Cynicistia

Re: Are you Ready for some Football!!! NFL Discussion

Postby Armadillo Al » Mon Aug 31, 2009 8:13 pm UTC

Telchar wrote:As for the Bears, Cutler did deceptively well last night. He didn't try and force plays when he knew he wasn't on. He didn't throw any interceptions, but once he got some field position (Go Devin Hester amirite?) he spread the ball around and put it exactly where it needed to be (the TD catch by Forte as an example). This is what the Bears need him to do. He can't throw 50 times a game so when he does throw he needs those throws to count, and he did last night.


As I've said before in other thread--this is a team whose passing records are still held by a guy who wore a leather helmet. This is a team whose fans were happy with Kyle Orton as their QB for a couple years simply because we don't usually get any better.

Honestly, Cutler could be the biggest flop ever and we'd still be okay with it.

Seraph wrote:
Telchar wrote:That being said, I like where the Bears are headed, even if them winning the division this year is not as likely as I'd like to think. I think we have a good chance at a WC spot. Hell, the NFC North might sweep the NFC WC spots, but I doubt it. Anyway, should be a fun season.

The problem with the NFC North is the Lions. That's just a lead weight that is going to drag you down. Right now I'd say the NFC North is probably the best, each team has an issue, but none of them are fatal (I think all 4 will with 8+ games). Both New York and the Giants could have very good teams this year if they can get their acts together. The Falcons/Panthers are also good Wildcard competition.


Well, the Lions are pretty much the single best reason why the (remaining) North teams do have an advantage toward the Wild Card spots...
Compiling.. wrote:xkcd... where EVERYONE loves EVERYONE...
User avatar
Armadillo Al
 
Posts: 934
Joined: Thu Aug 14, 2008 4:17 pm UTC
Location: Illinois

Re: Are you Ready for some Football!!! NFL Discussion

Postby Telchar » Mon Aug 31, 2009 8:22 pm UTC

Armadillo Al wrote:As I've said before in other thread--this is a team whose passing records are still held by a guy who wore a leather helmet. This is a team whose fans were happy with Kyle Orton as their QB for a couple years simply because we don't usually get any better.

Honestly, Cutler could be the biggest flop ever and we'd still be okay with it.


Erik Kramer holds quite a few records. And I'd also disagree with the flop thing. If he flops, he will be more hated than Grossman, and you can take Grossman as evidence.

Well, the Lions are pretty much the single best reason why the (remaining) North teams do have an advantage toward the Wild Card spots...


I don't think they are anymore of a gaurenteed win than the Redskins. I mean, they were close in at least 1 divisional game against all 3 opponents. Hell, the Vikings came within inches of losing. I don't think Detroit was as bad as their record indicated.
Zamfir wrote:Yeah, that's a good point. Everyone is all about presumption of innocence in rape threads. But when Mexican drug lords build APCs to carry their henchmen around, we immediately jump to criminal conclusions without hard evidence.
User avatar
Telchar
That's Admiral 'The Hulk' Ackbar, to you sir
 
Posts: 1932
Joined: Sat Apr 05, 2008 9:06 pm UTC
Location: Cynicistia

Re: Are you Ready for some Football!!! NFL Discussion

Postby Aetius » Mon Aug 31, 2009 8:33 pm UTC

Heisenberg wrote:As far as NE, of course they look good, they look good every year. It's surprisingly easy to make your team look good when you ignore the rules.


NE looks good every year because they have good players and a good gameplan every year. The fact that the team has engendered so much jealousy that an incredibly minor infraction is still being talked about two years later is a testament to how dominant they have been over the last decade.
Aetius
 
Posts: 1098
Joined: Mon Sep 08, 2008 7:23 am UTC

Re: Are you Ready for some Football!!! NFL Discussion

Postby Telchar » Mon Aug 31, 2009 8:36 pm UTC

Aetius wrote:NE looks good every year because they have good players and a good gameplan every year. The fact that the team has engendered so much jealousy that an incredibly minor infraction is still being talked about two years later is a testament to how dominant they have been over the last decade.


So dominant they didn't make the playoffs last year? Also, that minor infraction wasn't exactly minor. They video taped other teams plays so they could gameplan against it. How is that minor again?

Honestly, I would argue the Steelers have been a more dominant force over that same timeframe...
Zamfir wrote:Yeah, that's a good point. Everyone is all about presumption of innocence in rape threads. But when Mexican drug lords build APCs to carry their henchmen around, we immediately jump to criminal conclusions without hard evidence.
User avatar
Telchar
That's Admiral 'The Hulk' Ackbar, to you sir
 
Posts: 1932
Joined: Sat Apr 05, 2008 9:06 pm UTC
Location: Cynicistia

Next

Return to News & Articles

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: broarbape, Majestic-12 [Bot] and 13 guests